FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Rip Mark E Smith.

Rip Mark E Smith.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

The fall singer has died at only 60.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

No surprise there really!

By *imon_hydeMan  over a year ago

Bredbury, Stockport

I've listened to the fall for over 30 years, so sad to hear of his passing.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

Heard it on Mark Riley's show on 6 earlier, sad news..

Seen them about 4 years ago,john cooper clark was supporting

By *hatYorkLadMan  over a year ago

York

A mate of mines band supported them once about 5 years ago, he said Mark was a bit of a nutjob lol

Mark E Smith was a prolific and genuine genius, the like of which we will not see again , maybe, he released his 32nd album last year , a part of my teenage years have died tonight , deeply saddened !

By *arold_n_maudeCouple  over a year ago

preston

Great entertainment over the years. I mean you got to be made of stone not to laugh/love lyrics like 'Pay your rates, pay your water rates'. Took the band off once because they were posing and told them 'play your fucking instruments youre not in U2.' Good lad!

There are many stories to be told about Mark E Smith, I have a few through personal experience. A wayward genius in many respects. Very sad.

R.I.P. Mark E. Smith .. uncompromising git

Oops saw this too late. Must use forum search.

Yes. MES is a lynchpin of my music collection. It used to be a standing joke that he released an album to commemorate every fag packet he finished. My world is poorer without him.

Loved The Fall, met MES a couple of times when he played Doncaster, Leeds and Retford.

Always interesting, I once took a new-ish girlfriend to see The Fall, after the gig she dumped me.

Mind you, had a similar experience after taking an ex gf to a Sisters Of Mercy gig.

Must be my taste in music!

Anyroad. RIP MESS, stand easy cocker.

By *onnie And Clyde9070Couple  over a year ago

Leeds

"We don't want haddock, give us the effing cod!" Class lyrics for a genuine wordsmith.

Used to love hearing The Fall on the John Peel show late at night, and they always had several entries in his "festive fifty". Never again will we see the likes of MES.

R.I.P

Anyone that throws bottles at mumford and sons to try and shut them up is alright in my book!

A complete one off, there is a quote I think from John Peel that summed him amd The Fall up perfectly "you never know what to expect but always get exactly what you expected". Last tine I saw them he was on crutches and sang at least one song not on the stage.

While not always a fan of the music I've always loved the chaos and stories surrounding Mark E Smith

A constant voice and influence for 4 decades of my life. A shambling maverick who never compromised for anyone. His spirit will live on and on.

By *bsolute LibertinesCouple  over a year ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

I’ve been with them, though I guess I mean him, since the beginning. Whole important friendships have started due to a shared love of The Fall.

It’s goodbye Mark. There’s always that massive amount of music though.

The words 'hail the new puritan' come into my head every time I read a remotely prissy post on here, as an aside.

By *eneral HysteriaMan  over a year ago

Newcastle

and don't you all forget to Pay Your Rates

preston

Friend of Lisa Stansfield. Who'd have thunk it. What next he plays golf with Les Dennis?

"Friend of Lisa Stansfield. Who'd have thunk it. What next he plays golf with Les Dennis? "

I was quite taken by reading that he bowed to Lou Reed on passing at Glastonbury. Didn't have him as a bowing type!

By *iss SJWoman  over a year ago

Hull

""We don't want haddock, give us the effing cod!" Class lyrics for a genuine wordsmith.

Used to love hearing The Fall on the John Peel show late at night, and they always had several entries in his "festive fifty". Never again will we see the likes of MES.

R.I.P

"

By *ingle Dad SeekingMan  over a year ago

Northern England

"Loved The Fall, met MES a couple of times when he played Doncaster, Leeds and Retford.

Always interesting, I once took a new-ish girlfriend to see The Fall, after the gig she dumped me.

Mind you, had a similar experience after taking an ex gf to a Sisters Of Mercy gig.

Anyroad. RIP MESS, stand easy cocker. "

Good riddance I say. Call it "quality control"

"Loved The Fall, met MES a couple of times when he played Doncaster, Leeds and Retford.

Good riddance I say. Call it "quality control" "

That’s in bad taste, the guy has just died ffs!

You call it Quality Control ... I call it Innovation

preston

^^ Agreed and some. Beige - CBA giving it anymore response. 'Kinky' and intolerant, strange mix.

"^^ Agreed and some. Beige - CBA giving it anymore response. 'Kinky' and intolerant, strange mix. "

Firmly believing in traditional gender roles kind of says it all in regard to the kinky one.

Good riddance I say. Call it "quality control" "

Seriously?

preston

"^^ Agreed and some. Beige - CBA giving it anymore response. 'Kinky' and intolerant, strange mix.

Firmly believing in traditional gender roles kind of says it all in regard to the kinky one. "

You read more than I could be bothered with lol. None so blind and all that...

Anyway the Lou Reed thing I hadn't heard about but he is the grandaddy of many acts. I'm sure Beefheart and a few select others (knowing MES itd be Andrew Lloyd Webber, Shakin Stevens and Taylor Swift) would get the bow.

"^^ Agreed and some. Beige - CBA giving it anymore response. 'Kinky' and intolerant, strange mix.

Firmly believing in traditional gender roles kind of says it all in regard to the kinky one.

You read more than I could be bothered with lol. None so blind and all that...

Anyway the Lou Reed thing I hadn't heard about but he is the grandaddy of many acts. I'm sure Beefheart and a few select others (knowing MES itd be Andrew Lloyd Webber, Shakin Stevens and Taylor Swift) would get the bow. "

Haha, for sure.

By *ingle Dad SeekingMan  over a year ago

Northern England

Good riddance I say. Call it "quality control"

That’s in bad taste, the guy has just died ffs!

You call it Quality Control ... I call it Innovation "

Well, you certainly got hold of the wrong end of that particular stick! My apologies for not making myself clearer. The "quality control" comment was meant as an indictment of the lady that dumped the bloke after he took her to the Fall gig - and not as a reference to Mark Edward Smith. Perish the thought. I love the Fall; and may he rest in peace.

» Add a new message to this topic