FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Lorrys with large loads .,

Lorrys with large loads .,

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Not sure what the law or rules are .. I live in the country small lanes with trees hanging over ... just home from getting horse food and was behide a big lorry with a load of suger beat piled right up high. The trees was taking some off and all most hitting my car and when he was going out on to mane road he turned and loads come flying off really big suger beat ....feel it could have been nasty if i had not pulled right back ... should thay not have covers on over the goods ?? Just feel i had a lucky escape really .

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

A loose load should have a tarpaulin over it. If you report it to the law, I think the driver could be prosecuted for driving with an insecure load. Big fines and points then ensue.

"A loose load should have a tarpaulin over it. If you report it to the law, I think the driver could be prosecuted for driving with an insecure load. Big fines and points then ensue."

Wot Mickey said...!! Dangerous driving...

Nearly met my maker once when one of those large round bales slipped off the forks on the back of a tractor and rolled down the hill towards me, fortunately it burst just in front of my car. I drove into the farm to tell them it had nearly landed on me and was now blocking the road. Twats hadn't even noticed.

By *teborahCouple  over a year ago

warrington

Sweet!

There are laws for loads but also laws for driving too close to the vehicle in front of you. If you think something has an unstable load overtake or drop back.

"A loose load should have a tarpaulin over it. If you report it to the law, I think the driver could be prosecuted for driving with an insecure load. Big fines and points then ensue."
well i know the name of the lorry firm and it was i felt dangerous as he had to much on his lorry for a start ... why it was coming off the top over the road and no cover . We could have been killed.

"There are laws for loads but also laws for driving too close to the vehicle in front of you. If you think something has an unstable load overtake or drop back."
I Was back thay was flying off the top , Was a small lane with big trees hanging over .

"There are laws for loads but also laws for driving too close to the vehicle in front of you. If you think something has an unstable load overtake or drop back. I Was back thay was flying off the top , Was a small lane with big trees hanging over ."

Not far enough if it nearly hit you. We have loads of lorrys and farmers round here and you learn to keep your distance.

"There are laws for loads but also laws for driving too close to the vehicle in front of you. If you think something has an unstable load overtake or drop back. I Was back thay was flying off the top , Was a small lane with big trees hanging over .

Not far enough if it nearly hit you. We have loads of lorrys and farmers round here and you learn to keep your distance. "

well i was ... away .. thay was flying in the air .. should thay not have a cover ?

By *ouchmeslowlyMan  over a year ago

or near Lynn and Norwich

Thats not good !!! when they take them to the suger beet factory they will get wrong ! as there had been many complaints before so now no one must load their trailers so full that they may fall off! So have a polite word with lorry company and i am sure it will be sorted !!!

Hope you dont think all us farmers are that daft !! maybe they will bring you a bunch of flowers to say sorry !!!!

well i would !!lol

Thanks P

"A loose load should have a tarpaulin over it. If you report it to the law, I think the driver could be prosecuted for driving with an insecure load. Big fines and points then ensue. well i know the name of the lorry firm and it was i felt dangerous as he had to much on his lorry for a start ... why it was coming off the top over the road and no cover . We could have been killed.

"

Give them a ring, ask to speak to the transport manager- explain what happened and your concerns. They will then speak to the driver and check his digi-card. Maybe just maybe he followed a duff sat-nav and 'had' to use that route to get back on track. Do ring them I am a truck driver myself and if they are a good company they will act on it. I would say to pull back on any large vehicle because sometimes we have to reverse and the warning if you can't see my smiling face in my mirror is totally honest, we sometimes can't see people come up on us as we are going forward xx glad you are ok.

"There are laws for loads but also laws for driving too close to the vehicle in front of you. If you think something has an unstable load overtake or drop back. I Was back thay was flying off the top , Was a small lane with big trees hanging over .

Not far enough if it nearly hit you. We have loads of lorrys and farmers round here and you learn to keep your distance. well i was ... away .. thay was flying in the air .. should thay not have a cover ?"

They should have a secure load there is no rule for a cover. If in doubt watch your speed, know your stopping distance and stop that and a bit more behind.

By *ushroom7Man  over a year ago

Bradford

Slightly off track a little but i suspect i would have an unstable load if i was in the vicinity of Jo.

or near Lynn and Norwich

We would all be a little unstable with Jo near us !!!!!! and it would be rude to point !!!!!

"Thats not good !!! when they take them to the suger beet factory they will get wrong ! as there had been many complaints before so now no one must load their trailers so full that they may fall off! So have a polite word with lorry company and i am sure it will be sorted !!!

Hope you dont think all us farmers are that daft !! maybe they will bring you a bunch of flowers to say sorry !!!!

well i would !!lol

Thanks P"

He was well over loaded only had to look at the road to see how much had come off ..... and really big beat too . I know not all farmers are like this . Well next time i am in the fower feld i make pick some , lol xx

or near Lynn and Norwich

As long as you pick me !!!lol i will have to tell you where they are this year !! more fields than last year, and some near you !!!

Will you have a word with lorry company ?? as its not right and could be dangrous !! as long as you are polite i am sure they will look after you .

Thanks P

"As long as you pick me !!!lol i will have to tell you where they are this year !! more fields than last year, and some near you !!!

Will you have a word with lorry company ?? as its not right and could be dangrous !! as long as you are polite i am sure they will look after you .

Thanks P"

well i am still getting over it here , You have a load of them coming at you Its not nice . I may call as could kill a person if it go on and if i see that in papers could not live with myself .

By *urreyfun2008Man  over a year ago

East Grinstead

For those saying keep distance etc, yes obviously, but what about traffic coming the other way.

Are they expected to reverse away from the lower rather than pass it in the other direction.

"For those saying keep distance etc, yes obviously, but what about traffic coming the other way.

Are they expected to reverse away from the lower rather than pass it in the other direction. "

This is why I say give us room, there are some drivers out there with the mentality 'I'm bigger than you' , but others like myself will judge

A - can we both pass

B - is it safer for me to reverse or the other person..

If I don't have someone behind me and the oncoming does I'm happy to go back, on the roads- especially narrow ones it's give and take.

By *rystal Tipps - AlistairCouple  over a year ago

livingston

All loose loads should be covered to prevent from falling of truck/trailer and if this happens the driver can be done for having an unsecure load, also his weights could be checked and if found to be over his max gross weight then another fine can be involved

Whilst loads are meant to be carried in a safe, secure manner, your also supposed to leave sufficinent, safe diatance between yourself and the vehicle in front.

If I was behind something that was lobbing sugar beets at my car I'm damned sure I'd not be following too close in order to get a better look.

Maybe I'd drop back a bit, or even stop ?

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

since someone posted on the subject of lorries not being able to go over a certain mph... I am so more tolerant of them overtaking and taking ages...

thank you again... from a less stressed driver

By *ushroom7Man  over a year ago

Bradford

Jo, rather than get all stressed up, wouldn't it be a better idea to only follow pea or brussel sprout lorries?

"

Jo, rather than get all stressed up, wouldn't it be a better idea to only follow pea or brussel sprout lorries?"

well here you cant pick what you follow thay come from out of the hedge as feilds all around me here in Norfolk ,, never had this in my life .

A lot of the problem is the trees are not cut back,roads should have 16ft clearence from the edge of the road,the lorry would be within the law for height.I think its the land owners responibility to maintain the height rule

» Add a new message to this topic