FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Halloween

Halloween

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

It's almost that time of the year again, when hoards of kids knock on your door for sweets.

It seems to be that it's becoming customary to only knock at houses that have a pumpkin on display, but, we're seeing a lot more of them then I remember seeing as a child. Don't see too many Penny-for-the-Guys anymore though.

Have we Americanised Halloween?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *empting Devil.Woman  over a year ago

Sheffield

when i was a child we used to carve a lantern out of a turnip - and if you think a pumpkin is hard work you should try one of those! We also used to celebrate mischief night on (i think) the 4th of november. And that was like halloween but all tricks - the village was full of packs of kids covering door furniture in treacle and switching gates... Life was simpler then! Hee hee

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Yes everything is Americanised.

It is a tragedy. It is a loss of British Culture.

Halloween British: Family/Street get togethers. Ghost stories. Ducking for apples. Ginger Parkin. Treacle toffees.

Sharing.

Halloween American: Expensive commercial costumes of cartoon characters. Pumpkins. Going door to door to strangers houses to Trick or Treat which translated into action means GIVE ME SOMETHING OR I'LL DO SOMETHING TO YOUR PROPERTY. It is in fact BEGGING BY THREAT.

Penny for the guy ? Pitiful. Kids sitting next to a biro defaced football and asking you for a penny.

I can't believe kids beg. I can't believe adults give.

If you give ..WHAT do you think they are doing with the money ?

What message are you sending encouraging them to ask strangers for money.

Anyone ever asked them who Guy is? They have NO idea.

Shame.

And yes I did do both. Different world then.

King's Crustacean

I forgot mischief night here .. on the 30th.

I hope my gate doens't go. I've just had it painted :P

King's Crustacean

Good cartoony ...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/cartoon/2011/oct/29/modern-toss-halloween-cartoon

By *empting Devil.Woman  over a year ago

Sheffield

where i grew up (wilds of north yorkshire) micky night was the 4th. I'd have remembered the 30th cos i celebrate something else then! But we didn't steal the gates, just mix and match them so noone had a pair in the morning! Took weeks to get sorted out! But just for future reference never write on a caravan in lipstick...

King's Crustacean

Bloody Hell ! I just looked it up in that very reliable source Wiki .( cough ) and it seems mischief night here IS the fourth of Nov.

"Bloody Hell ! I just looked it up in that very reliable source Wiki .( cough ) and it seems mischief night here IS the fourth of Nov. "

Never heard of mischief night.

The 5th Nov is the only one we celebrated in our house.

Aha! Wiki says Mischief Night is named so, and is on November 4th, as that was the night in 1605 when a certain Mr Fawkes and his chums were caught trying to blow up the Houses of Parliament.

Why didn't he just tell them it was Mischief Night and he was only having a laugh?

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Aha! Wiki says Mischief Night is named so, and is on November 4th, as that was the night in 1605 when a certain Mr Fawkes and his chums were caught trying to blow up the Houses of Parliament.

Why didn't he just tell them it was Mischief Night and he was only having a laugh? "

Everything British is being airbrushed by Hallmark and Disney...

Way to go motherfuckers..( Eddie Murphy voice )..

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Don't see too many Penny-for-the-Guys anymore though.

Now that brings back memories of being a kid ... sitting outside the local pub on the high street then running off to buy jumping jacks ....

» Add a new message to this topic