FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Hosepipe ban

Hosepipe ban

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Apparently some areas are suffering with water shortages. Not because the reservoirs are empty but because processing plants can't keep up with demand. So we have snow, leaves on tracks and now this. I love this country.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *abs..Woman  over a year ago

It’s all a bit of a mystery

People do have to have their clean cars though .... in rain or shine.

By *gnitemybodyWoman  over a year ago

Onestepoutofthedoor

It's not a problem for me as I don't wash my car that often anyway.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

Hosepipes can save a lot of work when you're watering the garden. However we're metered so it's water buts and watering cans for us.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

i water my back lawn more for the birds to feed from worms than anything else. My car can go dirty and I'll water my plants from a can

Onestepoutofthedoor

Any more Doctor prods in the house...

"Any more Doctor prods in the house..."

i know i was thinking the same

Just clean glass on cars or ya could get in trouble with insurance if in an accident

"Hosepipes can save a lot of work when you're watering the garden. However we're metered so it's water buts and watering cans for us. "
you need permission from Irish water to collect rain water I kid you not

"It's not a problem for me as I don't wash my car that often anyway. "

You dirty girl!

By *heIcebreakersCouple  over a year ago

Cramlington

"Apparently some areas are suffering with water shortages. Not because the reservoirs are empty but because processing plants can't keep up with demand. So we have snow, leaves on tracks and now this. I love this country. "
Just like the flood problems in some parts of the country, the reality that privatized water companies will only ever do what they have to, not what's sensible. I do a really good rant on the decline of rural roads and water privatization if you need entertaining on a dull saturday, and can follow up with a top class rant about the need for a national grid for water....

Our water butts ran out of water weeks ago !

"Apparently some areas are suffering with water shortages. Not because the reservoirs are empty but because processing plants can't keep up with demand. So we have snow, leaves on tracks and now this. I love this country. "

In this country we are not ready for anything! Bit of snow and we have power supply issues and bit of hot weather and water shortage..

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Hosepipes can save a lot of work when you're watering the garden. However we're metered so it's water buts and watering cans for us. you need permission from Irish water to collect rain water I kid you not "

Blimey!

By *ust for BeckyMan  over a year ago

Godalming

I had the sprinklers on the lawn last weekend and had all the baby starlings rushing about in the spray..

Then hours of them and the blackbirds looking for worms..

Good on you Dr Prods.

I dont have a lawn or a car

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Our water butts ran out of water weeks ago !"

Ours too. We use washing up water and on the second rinse of the washing machine unscrew the outside drain cap and collect that water. We're trying to find a way to funnel the shower drain onto the vegetable patch.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"I dont have a lawn or a car "

Wise woman.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Oh and we never water the lawn.

"Oh and we never water the lawn."

Grow some plants

"Apparently some areas are suffering with water shortages. Not because the reservoirs are empty but because processing plants can't keep up with demand. So we have snow, leaves on tracks and now this. I love this country.

In this country we are not ready for anything! Bit of snow and we have power supply issues and bit of hot weather and water shortage.. "

Supplying clean water to the ever increasing population in the UK, especially London in a huge problem. I met someone from here a few years ago who worked for the water treatment plant in London (Bow or Beckton I think it was), and he said the EU were finding research into better ways of supplying water. Our reservoirs can't hold enough and our treatment plants can't run fast enough.

"Oh and we never water the lawn.

Grow some plants "

I grow very horrible plants I'm not allowed to spell on here

"Our water butts ran out of water weeks ago !

Ours too. We use washing up water and on the second rinse of the washing machine unscrew the outside drain cap and collect that water. We're trying to find a way to funnel the shower drain onto the vegetable patch."

I do save the water used for wiping the worktops down and pour over plant pots plus water used to mop the floors but its very little anyway. Most our pots go in the dishwasher and i cant get to that water nor the washing machine water.

By *heIcebreakersCouple  over a year ago

Cramlington

"Apparently some areas are suffering with water shortages. Not because the reservoirs are empty but because processing plants can't keep up with demand. So we have snow, leaves on tracks and now this. I love this country.

In this country we are not ready for anything! Bit of snow and we have power supply issues and bit of hot weather and water shortage..

Supplying clean water to the ever increasing population in the UK, especially London in a huge problem. I met someone from here a few years ago who worked for the water treatment plant in London (Bow or Beckton I think it was), and he said the EU were finding research into better ways of supplying water. Our reservoirs can't hold enough and our treatment plants can't run fast enough.

"

Reservoirs can't hold enough? Kielder is full. We have the water, it's just in the wrong places.

By *icentiousCouple  over a year ago

Up on them there hills

So pleased I refilled the hot tub.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Grow some plants "

We do.

There's enough water locally but they can't process it quick enough.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Ours too. We use washing up water and on the second rinse of the washing machine unscrew the outside drain cap and collect that water. We're trying to find a way to funnel the shower drain onto the vegetable patch.

I do save the water used for wiping the worktops down and pour over plant pots plus water used to mop the floors but its very little anyway. Most our pots go in the dishwasher and i cant get to that water nor the washing machine water.

"

It's difficult isn't it.

"

No new reservoirs or treatment plants have been built in years yet population and water usage has increased.

It doesn't take a genius to work out what we need or to predict there are going to be shortages when we have a hot spell.

By *tarbeckCouple  over a year ago

york

Any water would be nice at the moment , we have none

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

My ground is starting to crack and the grass is nearly turned. May give it a day of sprinkling let the dogs and birds have some fun.

Onestepoutofthedoor

"Oh and we never water the lawn."

Mine is looking especially dried up at the moment.

Mine is looking especially dried up at the moment."

At least i don't have to get the mower out. After struggling to keep up over the spring it's a relief.

Reservoirs can't hold enough? Kielder is full. We have the water, it's just in the wrong places. "

For London I meant. It's an ever growing problem down here.

I saw the Kielder dam being built. The hole was huge.

No new reservoirs or treatment plants have been built in years yet population and water usage has increased.

It doesn't take a genius to work out what we need or to predict there are going to be shortages when we have a hot spell."

We don't do forward thinking in this country do we. Which is why we have a housing shortage.

Onestepoutofthedoor

Mine is looking especially dried up at the moment.

At least i don't have to get the mower out. After struggling to keep up over the spring it's a relief. "

Very true,mine is mostly s anyway to be fair.

By *he Queen of TartsWoman  over a year ago
Forum Mod

My Own Little World

I can't actually remember the last time it rained here. But it needs to, my grass is mostly brown, and my ducks and geese are not too happy about it.

"I can't actually remember the last time it rained here. But it needs to, my grass is mostly brown, and my ducks and geese are not too happy about it."

Dust off a duck's back just doesn't have the same ring to it.

By *oachman 9CoolMan  over a year ago

derby

"Hosepipes can save a lot of work when you're watering the garden. However we're metered so it's water buts and watering cans for us. "
A 25 gallon water butt soon empties in this weather even the s are suffering in this heat and that is rare.

"Any more Doctor prods in the house...

"

You can never have enough Doctor Prod's; I'm the original one by the way #justsayin

By *isty286Couple  over a year ago

Dorset

Might have to start using the outdoor pool water to keep our tomatoes alive, lucky we have the indoor one though.

derby

[Removed by poster at 30/06/18 12:33:39]

My hosepipe hasn’t been active for ages

derby

[Removed by poster at 30/06/18 12:34:00]

derby

[Removed by poster at 30/06/18 12:37:46]

derby

Blimey this is rare in itself can anyone print on here (s) not the brackets of course all I can get is the letter (s) never really had printing problems here before..

Been wondering if a water meter is actually cheaper to be honest.

"Hosepipes can save a lot of work when you're watering the garden. However we're metered so it's water buts and watering cans for us.

Been wondering if a water meter is actually cheaper to be honest."

I think it is cheaper provided you limit your use.

By *r TriomanMan  over a year ago

Malmesbury/Larkhill

"It's not a problem for me as I don't wash my car that often anyway. "

So you get your chauffeur to do it for you

You can never have enough Doctor Prod's; I'm the original one by the way #justsayin"

I think you'll find that was Terry Scott.

By *r TriomanMan  over a year ago

Malmesbury/Larkhill

"Mine is looking especially dried up at the moment."

Think you've got the wrong thread... this isn't the "who has the nicest pussy" one

It's difficult isn't it. "

Yes and time consuming !

"Hosepipes can save a lot of work when you're watering the garden. However we're metered so it's water buts and watering cans for us.

I think it is cheaper provided you limit your use."

Yeah I agree but how much limitation, are the units of water cheap in comparison to the annual rate

Yeah I agree but how much limitation, are the units of water cheap in comparison to the annual rate"

To be honest i don't think you can compare the two. Only metered water is charged at a unit rate.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Meanwhile £billions given in bonuses to water company executives, while billions of gallons of water leak out of dud pipes - 20% conservatively calculated by them as lost before it ever gets a chance to get to your home/hosepipe.

Have showers in the garden

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

"Meanwhile £billions given in bonuses to water company executives, while billions of gallons of water leak out of dud pipes - 20% conservatively calculated by them as lost before it ever gets a chance to get to your home/hosepipe.

Have showers in the garden "

Last year's estimated water leak level was 3 billion litres of water each day. But the conservative government sold off the water companies, so it must have been the right thing to do

"Meanwhile £billions given in bonuses to water company executives, while billions of gallons of water leak out of dud pipes - 20% conservatively calculated by them as lost before it ever gets a chance to get to your home/hosepipe.

Have showers in the garden "

Better still, share them.

Flushing 10 litres of water for a 300ml piss doesn't help the situation.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Been wondering if a water meter is actually cheaper to be honest."

It is for us. But there are only two of us and we try to be as efficient as possible with it.

By *andonmessMan  over a year ago

A world all of his own

As per usual it's a lack of investment in the infrastructure. As said, no new reservoirs have been built in years, maybe even decades in the SE. Owning to land shortage and a lack of foresight probably.

We've not had a single drop of rain in 5 weeks here, and there's no forecast of any for the coming week. My garden is a dust bowl currently but I only ever use a watering can for the bedding and other plants.

You can never have enough Doctor Prod's; I'm the original one by the way #justsayin

I think you'll find that was Terry Scott. "

True,

It also takes about 2000 liters of water to produce a burger, admittedly that is everything from raising cattle to transporting the meat but think about that next time you are at Maccy D's Shit Food Emporium.

Ours too. We use washing up water and on the second rinse of the washing machine unscrew the outside drain cap and collect that water. We're trying to find a way to funnel the shower drain onto the vegetable patch."

I have diverted the shower water into our water butt. Bit grey when it comes out(need to wash more we know haha) but does the job.

Then looked up price of Severn Trent water.

£1.45/cubic metre. That’s a 1000 litres.

Cheap really

Ironic is it not that Scotland has more water than it knows what to do with

I've had the sprinkler running on my yard for an hour now.

Be rate

By *lbert_shlossedMan  over a year ago

Manchester

At times it seems as though this country couldn't plan a piss up in a brewery!.

Here's an idea water board, build some more bleeding reservoirs to match all the bleeding houses that are being built.

Yeah I agree but how much limitation, are the units of water cheap in comparison to the annual rate

To be honest i don't think you can compare the two. Only metered water is charged at a unit rate. "

Yeah I know, suppose it's like a piece of string kind of dilemma one

It is for us. But there are only two of us and we try to be as efficient as possible with it. "

Oh eye sharing showers/baths etc. Go a long way?

Or maybe a little more grim, by flushing only once a day haha

I have fake grass... And I take my car to be washed.... Please say the smiley man who can't speak much English will still wash my car for me

By *ust for BeckyMan  over a year ago

Godalming

http://www.hosepipeban.org.uk/hosepipe-ban-current-situation/

Here’s the facts..

By *onnyeasygoingMan  over a year ago

Somewhere on the M62 between 24 and 14

Ive had an email asking if I could kindly use less by having a shorter timed shower or flushing the toilet less, maybe even considering leave the washing up for a bit.

I have asked if they reduce the massive chuffing bill they send me for the already minuscule amount I water I use, I might think about it.

If I'm paying for it, I'm god damn sure I'm going to use it.

Seriously think they might not give a monkeys though..

derby

"At times it seems as though this country couldn't plan a piss up in a brewery!.

Here's an idea water board, build some more bleeding reservoirs to match all the bleeding houses that are being built.

"

Dishwashers are noveltys really so are washing up machines but they get through a lot of water, keep your washing up machine, but bring back fairy liquid and pots brush, and get rid of the dishwasher plus long cycles and more electric as well..

» Add a new message to this topic