FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Is social media enslaving us ?

Is social media enslaving us ?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Unlike the neutral technology we once used and could walk away from, today’s technology uses us. Behind every app there are software designers working everyday to update and find new levers to keep us hooked to the product. The most powerful development is ‘likes’, public feedback that externalised our self worth into a score card.

So we find ourselves like Pavlov’s dog with push notifications, incapacitated by the pull on our attention spans. The currency is your eyeballs on the their product, for as long as possible, exposure that can be sold to advertisers.

So instead of technology freeing us it is enslaving us, we’re no better than Pavlov’s dog.

Agree or disagree ?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

Disagree. I don’t use social media.

"Disagree. I don’t use social media. "

This is social media, unless you’re being ironic.

Brighton - even Hove!

"Disagree. I don’t use social media.

This is social media, unless you’re being ironic. "

*BAZINGA!*

By *elvet RopeMan  over a year ago

by the big field

No facebook, no twitter, no snapchat or whatsapp- i have kik to chat to a few people who aren't always available on the phone, but usually have notifications disabled.

I have a presonal email and a 'junk' email, so i can filter the shite quite well.

Technology is passive if you use it wisely

*BAZINGA!* "

Think it’s called Grindr.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I use social media for work, and it seems like there’s not a minute of the day I’m not either on my phone or computer either working or keeping in touch with someone. I do miss my previous job, being outside all day with no phone! Bliss!

This is my only social media and i cannot escape so i agree

I had this discussion at work last week. Other than here. And insta. I closed all my social media down. Don't have Lol or snap chat either And I love not having it.

But I agree. I think people do become enslaved to it. a huge increase in narcissistic personality traits are on the horizon I think.

That's supposed to say kik not lol?? No idea why it auto corrected to lol??

Brighton - even Hove!

*BAZINGA!*

Think it’s called Grindr."

Well, obviously apart from here I don’t use any social media. It’s an iron pyrite approach to imagine it all matters.

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Can someone explain to me who Pavlov is and what was his breed of dog? Oh, and the name as well please. Thanks in advance

"Can someone explain to me who Pavlov is and what was his breed of dog? Oh, and the name as well please. Thanks in advance "

To keep it really short, the Pavlov’s dog experiment was designed to condition a stimulus with a response (classical conditioning)

He rang a bell before feeding his dogs, when the dogs knew they were about to be fed, they would salivate. Over time, the bell would trigger the salivation response without the food being present as they had paired the stimulus with the response.

Brighton - even Hove!

"Can someone explain to me who Pavlov is and what was his breed of dog? Oh, and the name as well please. Thanks in advance

To keep it really short, the Pavlov’s dog experiment was designed to condition a stimulus with a response (classical conditioning)

He rang a bell before feeding his dogs, when the dogs knew they were about to be fed, they would salivate. Over time, the bell would trigger the salivation response without the food being present as they had paired the stimulus with the response. "

It’s like having a photo and having a wank over it then later you can just have a wank without the photo. I guess it’s a type of cock saliva.

A good example of classical conditioning is the brainwashing sequence in A Clockwork Orange

"A good example of classical conditioning is the brainwashing sequence in A Clockwork Orange"

Lost my phone 2 days ago, found it this evening cos I came in early and heard the evening alarm going off. It was on the charger next to the bed with a dozen missed calls on it.

Don't think I am a good target for advertisement marketing.

"Can someone explain to me who Pavlov is and what was his breed of dog? Oh, and the name as well please. Thanks in advance "

Google it.

Kind regards X

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"Can someone explain to me who Pavlov is and what was his breed of dog? Oh, and the name as well please. Thanks in advance

He rang a bell before feeding his dogs, when the dogs knew they were about to be fed, they would salivate. Over time, the bell would trigger the salivation response without the food being present as they had paired the stimulus with the response. "

Did he ever get to meet Schrödinger's cat?

He rang a bell before feeding his dogs, when the dogs knew they were about to be fed, they would salivate. Over time, the bell would trigger the salivation response without the food being present as they had paired the stimulus with the response.

Did he ever get to meet Schrödinger's cat? "

Yes and no.

disagree...

I don't have facebook and only use twatter and instagram for business purposes when i can be bothered ...the push notifications for them are disabled...

Did he ever get to meet Schrödinger's cat?

Yes and no."

(Until you ask him)

By *eelouWoman  over a year ago

Glasgow

"Unlike the neutral technology we once used and could walk away from, today’s technology uses us. Behind every app there are software designers working everyday to update and find new levers to keep us hooked to the product. The most powerful development is ‘likes’, public feedback that externalised our self worth into a score card.

So we find ourselves like Pavlov’s dog with push notifications, incapacitated by the pull on our attention spans. The currency is your eyeballs on the their product, for as long as possible, exposure that can be sold to advertisers.

So instead of technology freeing us it is enslaving us, we’re no better than Pavlov’s dog.

Agree or disagree ?

"

Yea I'd say I agree. Personally I've made an effort to turn off things like push notifications for nearly all sites as you're right, they did distract me a lot and take my attention from more productive things.

Say to my son all the time that it was definitely much better when I was his age without all this overbearing tech.

I think if you took the Fabs and Fabbing on this site away, the traffic would decrease rapidly.

"I think if you took the Fabs and Fabbing on this site away, the traffic would decrease rapidly. "

I don’t think I’ve ever fabbed a single picture in all my time on here

"I think if you took the Fabs and Fabbing on this site away, the traffic would decrease rapidly. "

Never been fabbed seldom fab others it's only the forums I spend time on.

disagree

social media feeds me information for the better or worse..

fanny or food..yup..I salivate at that

"I think if you took the Fabs and Fabbing on this site away, the traffic would decrease rapidly.

I don’t think I’ve ever fabbed a single picture in all my time on here"

I do tactical Fabbing, I only Fab those to get their attention without messaging. Never fucking works. I’ll just Fab your tits again.

"disagree

social media feeds me information for the better or worse..

fanny or food..yup..I salivate at that"

I’ve never salivated at a fanny, just get a twitch in my cock.

By *risky_MareWoman  over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

"

Technology is passive if you use it wisely "

I would say that - and I use social media a lot in a way that's useful to me, not for meaningless 'approval' or popularity, but as an information conduit and social diary (for gigs and dances).

I'll add I fucking hate my youtube..social media breeding fucktards..sorry if people take offence:-

when grown men and women, take science and cherry pick out scientific results to suit their flattrad(ok i'll be nice, idiot brain), I really wonder. Every comment you will see is "water is always flat, I see no motion,I see no curve"...explain it to them a few million times and they still come out with "well..nasa lied"............regardless of the basic fucking facts nasa has fuck all to do with the science behind knowing the world is fucking round.

Brighton - even Hove!

"I'll add I fucking hate my youtube..social media breeding fucktards..sorry if people take offence:-

when grown men and women, take science and cherry pick out scientific results to suit their flattrad(ok i'll be nice, idiot brain), I really wonder. Every comment you will see is "water is always flat, I see no motion,I see no curve"...explain it to them a few million times and they still come out with "well..nasa lied"............regardless of the basic fucking facts nasa has fuck all to do with the science behind knowing the world is fucking flat."

Rather a strange comment but hey ho.....

"I'll add I fucking hate my youtube..social media breeding fucktards..sorry if people take offence:-

when grown men and women, take science and cherry pick out scientific results to suit their flattrad(ok i'll be nice, idiot brain), I really wonder. Every comment you will see is "water is always flat, I see no motion,I see no curve"...explain it to them a few million times and they still come out with "well..nasa lied"............regardless of the basic fucking facts nasa has fuck all to do with the science behind knowing the world is fucking round."

Step away from the keyboard and have a lie down mate.

By * and M lookingCouple  over a year ago

Worcester

"Disagree. I don’t use social media. "

This for us too.

Never have and never will.

when grown men and women, take science and cherry pick out scientific results to suit their flattrad(ok i'll be nice, idiot brain), I really wonder. Every comment you will see is "water is always flat, I see no motion,I see no curve"...explain it to them a few million times and they still come out with "well..nasa lied"............regardless of the basic fucking facts nasa has fuck all to do with the science behind knowing the world is fucking round."

I know what you’re getting at, it’s called confirmation bias. If someone believes something, they will find and cling to even the weakest arguments to support their beliefs and even the greatest scientific minds in the world couldn’t convince them otherwise. Or even showing them, in front of their own face.

Finally a thread where I can be my true self

It's enslaving some.

"Finally a thread where I can be my true self "

He’s thrown a kettle over a pub, what have you done ?

"Finally a thread where I can be my true self "

#Geek

"Finally a thread where I can be my true self

He’s thrown a kettle over a pub, what have you done ? "

Fray Bentos

Fray Bentos"

#Geek"

Psychology graduate problems

Fray Bentos"

Was he the Cuban leader who’s been in power since 1959 ?

Fray Bentos

Was he the Cuban leader who’s been in power since 1959 ?"

Yes

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

when grown men and women, take science and cherry pick out scientific results to suit their flattrad(ok i'll be nice, idiot brain), I really wonder. Every comment you will see is "water is always flat, I see no motion,I see no curve"...explain it to them a few million times and they still come out with "well..nasa lied"............regardless of the basic fucking facts nasa has fuck all to do with the science behind knowing the world is fucking flat.

Rather a strange comment but hey ho....."

I've met Paddy, maybe that has something to do with it?

This is social media, unless you’re being ironic. "

It's one of the reasons I'm winding down on Fab. It's addictive and cyclical. It's like w*ed. Fun. But you don't get much done with your life

So I am unsure but I think you may possibly be hinting, that you slightly disagree with alternative shaped earth theories?

when grown men and women, take science and cherry pick out scientific results to suit their flattrad(ok i'll be nice, idiot brain), I really wonder. Every comment you will see is "water is always flat, I see no motion,I see no curve"...explain it to them a few million times and they still come out with "well..nasa lied"............regardless of the basic fucking facts nasa has fuck all to do with the science behind knowing the world is fucking flat.

Rather a strange comment but hey ho....."

it was a valid social media comment: people want to lynch paedophiles etc etc..they then use hearsay and gleamed facts to make it all socially justifiable to confront(mostly violently) the non-evidence...

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"It's one of the reasons I'm winding down on Fab. It's addictive and cyclical. It's like w*ed. Fun. But you don't get much done with your life "

I'm pretty much the same here, but as is life, there will always be some idiot to replace you

when grown men and women, take science and cherry pick out scientific results to suit their flattrad(ok i'll be nice, idiot brain), I really wonder. Every comment you will see is "water is always flat, I see no motion,I see no curve"...explain it to them a few million times and they still come out with "well..nasa lied"............regardless of the basic fucking facts nasa has fuck all to do with the science behind knowing the world is fucking round.

Step away from the keyboard and have a lie down mate. "

when your niece(17) says, she believes this shit...i dont step away...I dont need a lie down lol..but thanks for thinking of me

Rather a strange comment but hey ho.....

I've met Paddy, maybe that has something to do with it? "

dick lol

So I am unsure but I think you may possibly be hinting, that you slightly disagree with alternative shaped earth theories? "

do the math, sociologically,mathematically and hey....let's not talk about how we are able to talk via the internet lol

I know what you’re getting at, it’s called confirmation bias. If someone believes something, they will find and cling to even the weakest arguments to support their beliefs and even the greatest scientific minds in the world couldn’t convince them otherwise. Or even showing them, in front of their own face. "

its not the greatest scientific minds that need them convincing...even with a telescope I can see the ISS, with my naked eye I can see other satellites..I'll admit my eyes are pish lol

"It's one of the reasons I'm winding down on Fab. It's addictive and cyclical. It's like w*ed. Fun. But you don't get much done with your life "

I thought you were leaving cause you couldn’t take another one of my threads ?!

By *hatYorkLadMan  over a year ago

York

I've been with social media since the early days (faceparty, Friends Reunited, MySpace, numerous forums) but think I peaked on it a few years ago and have slowly started posting less and interacting less on it. I'll always use it but if I don't check Facebook or whatever for days I'm not bothered anymore.

By * and M lookingCouple  over a year ago

Worcester

It's the modern media version of the CB radio.

Sadly it's lasted longer than that did.

» Add a new message to this topic