FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Moving City

Moving City

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Have many of you ever moved city? We are looking to move down to Newcastle from Glasgow as one of us works Monday - Friday down there and is the one with the higher salary..

We are just wondering how you found it, easy, hard etc? We are concerned as our two kids would be going to a new school and nursery plus as well as us not really knowing anyone

Any insight would be awesome xx

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I moved from Scotland to London, then Surrey and now Bristol. I have loved the experience of living in different cities and seeing what they have to offer. It will be different for you having children, but I moved a number of times as a child and you get used to the upheaval and make new friends at the new school. Newcastle to Glasgow isn't too bad a journey for trips back home. Good luck, I hope it all goes well x

We moved from Brighton to Yorkshire almost 20 years ago, but it was just us at the time with no kids so I can't comment on that aspect.

From the two adults point of view it was a big step to take, however as we both worked (relocated following my work being taken over and my wife was able to transfer office as she worked for a bank) although we lost 'school friends' we made new ones quite quickly through work and other contacts.

Either end of Jan or sometime in Feb im moving ta Scotland and yep its scary

Good luck wi your move xx

this year ive moved from hull my home town to lowestoft and then kingslynn.my son been ok with it made new friend,i find bit hard not knowing anyone here.

sam

[Removed by poster at 27/12/11 19:37:57]

thanks for the input guys, i know i could carry on my career down there its the kids that worries me i suppose, we have some friends down there and theres all his work friends too i guess

xx

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Have many of you ever moved city? We are looking to move down to Newcastle from Glasgow as one of us works Monday - Friday down there and is the one with the higher salary..

We are just wondering how you found it, easy, hard etc? We are concerned as our two kids would be going to a new school and nursery plus as well as us not really knowing anyone

Any insight would be awesome xx"

moved to newcastle from leicester after uni and never regretted it....

just like everything else it is a daunting thing to do.. and sometimes it was really hard uping sticks....

if you want to know more local stuff feel free to pm me.....

The sooner the adults make friends with others with kids, play days and sleepovers for the kids will settle them in quick enough to new schools / life... Job done...;-);-)

Mommy and Daddy sleepovers is another matter...

kids are resilliant my daughter moved to birmingham at 9 and settled in very quick at school. good luck with everything. ive been in birmingham 3yrs now and wouldnt move.

Moved from Birmingham to London and then out of London to Stevenage. When I was in Birmingham I lived in East, Central and the Black Country and in london I moved between North and East. Love it. It is scary but it's also exciting. I wish I had had the courage to do it years ago but as I never went to uni the motovation wasn't there. I look at some of my old school friends who live in the same suburb they were born in and pity them.

Haven't got kids, but kids often adapt to change quicker than adults.

in my singlr life i moved all over, countries even many times, always found it a good experiance. i have just turned down a job away due to kid beeing settled, but it depends what age, ours is 15 so about to do o levels so we felt that stability was important. but they are tougher than you think, but i would say the younger the better, like all things in life it will be as you make it, be posative and all things should be good.

one more thing i would add is leave a get out, like dont sell up and buy, how about renting out your house and renting for a bit see how it goes

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

Haven't got kids, but kids often adapt to change quicker than adults."

absolutely... this was definately me when moving from america to england when i was a kid.... yes there were hiccups but the kids will fit in....

By *he Happy ManMan  over a year ago

Merseyside

I have lived in a few places during my travelling days. I loved it. Kids are resilliant. They would soon make friends with kids from Newcastle. You both would soon make friends as well. I find the Geordies in general to be very friendly. I would use google to find out about good areas to live, good schools etc.

Kids are easy to please they are young and they adjust easily. A bit of advice once kids are settled in start having play dates and inviting other children round for tea. One way of all of you to make friends I did it with both of mine when they started school and I have a lovely group of mummy friends. We even all go out once a month mums out on tour.

School is a great place to interact. I love being on the PTA. And being a school governor.

London, Norfolk, London, then Wiltshire here.

moved from rural suburbia to an island in the middle of nowhere

have just joined in with things up here and got involved without being big headed about things and mindful of not treating the toothless crofters here like idiots

have found that just by trying to blend in and be local has meant being accepted with open arms.

not a city move...granted....but expect the philosophy may be the same? Or maybe I am just a naive country _umpkin

good luck with the move if ya make it and hope everything works out just fine for you all x

By *arambarMan  over a year ago

swindon

Have moved many times over the past 15 years, including moving internationally several times. Even with a kid it's not something to worry about.

Moved not only cities but countries 7 times when kids were little as x was in army. Kids adapt easily with help from parents. My 2 boys did end up going to boarding school for 5 yrs due to eldest having special needs and although that was one of hardest things ever had to do they even loved being there.

By *emima_puddlefuckCouple  over a year ago

hexham

you have a pm

By *umpkinMan  over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

I am a rare beast! Born in the house I`ve lived in for all of my life. Longest I`ve been away from was when I was in hospital for three weeks and for a few hours it was distictively odd to be back home. I would be a very difficult person to find another house for. Those who`ve seen where I live will understand why. I don`t have many ties to keep me here but those I have are immensely important to me.

I can fully understand why some people find thoughts of moving scary.

By *rs and mr sanddancerCouple  over a year ago

Boldon

I'm in the process of moving from Liverpool to South Shields but have been doing the move gradually as I'm still job hunting. I need to be working in order to continue paying the mortgage on the Liverpool property until it's sold. It is daunting as I'm leaving a lot behind, including my best friend ever who introduced me to the guy I'm moving in with and I will really miss her, but plan to visit as often as I can. My son is staying with my ex husband as he is in the middle of doing his A levels but is ok about me going as he wants me to be happy. I'm sure your move will be worth it as without the commute for your partner, you'll have more quality time with your kids. Good luck Meg xxx

By *ashful BazMan  over a year ago

poole dorset

"I am a rare beast! Born in the house I`ve lived in for all of my life. Longest I`ve been away from was when I was in hospital for three weeks and for a few hours it was distictively odd to be back home. I would be a very difficult person to find another house for. Those who`ve seen where I live will understand why. I don`t have many ties to keep me here but those I have are immensely important to me.

I can fully understand why some people find thoughts of moving scary."

Well lets face it, Dorset is the best place to live.

By *umpkinMan  over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

"I am a rare beast! Born in the house I`ve lived in for all of my life. Longest I`ve been away from was when I was in hospital for three weeks and for a few hours it was distictively odd to be back home. I would be a very difficult person to find another house for. Those who`ve seen where I live will understand why. I don`t have many ties to keep me here but those I have are immensely important to me.

Well lets face it, Dorset is the best place to live. "

True! Although there`s a couple of Wiltshire villages that I could put up with living in, especially those in the "chalk valley" around Broadchalke/Bowerchalke.

By *toneblueMan  over a year ago

Southampton

Speaking as someone who moved around a lot both as a child and adult, I'd say that from the child's point of view how easy it is really depends on the age. Before age 10 I found moving to a new home exciting, making new friends was easy and the new experiences probably widened my outlook and were of benefit generally, though it was always an emotional wrench leaving good friends behind. But any older than that and I found it harder to adapt, I think by secondary school kids need more stability.

Newcastle's a great place though, I'd move there myself if the chance came up!

By *ashful BazMan  over a year ago

poole dorset

Well lets face it, Dorset is the best place to live.

True! Although there`s a couple of Wiltshire villages that I could put up with living in, especially those in the "chalk valley" around Broadchalke/Bowerchalke."

Yes Wiltshire is nice, and I best mention Hampshire as I was born there.

Thanks so much for all the points of view and experiences guys xxx

» Add a new message to this topic