FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > service charge

service charge

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

ok on for a rant , is it just me or are there others fed up with the 12.5%service charges when eating out , was in a hotel in london where i got a service charge for having a drink at the bar !! then again in restaurant , never ate anywhare without tipping waiter or waitress , now they just taking piss ,

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

U don't have to pay it though! They can't legally take gratuities if u don't want to pay them!

I think!

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

"U don't have to pay it though! They can't legally take gratuities if u don't want to pay them!

I think! "

unfortunatly if it says on meny compulsary service charge you do , lol, and i keep forgetting to check , lol,

Bloody irritating I say! And u can almost guarantee crap service at these places!

By *riendly foeWoman  over a year ago

In a crisp poke on the A814

Its not a tip...

Its a service charge

By *limBobStretchedPantsMan  over a year ago

Newcastle

Legally they can charge for service. However you can have it removed from the bill without question as 'the service you revive has to be at the level of the ammount charged'

Most places do this and the service charge goes directly to paying the wages of the staff that serve you.

Personally I did agree with it all but when my wage depended on it I was very thankful for it.

I now work back up north in the best hotel resort between glen eagles and the savoy and we do not charge for service. So it can be done.

Any more hospitality / cheese related querying just ask xx

Not only do they add servise charge they tried adding another 20% on top because more than 8 of us and expected a tip

Do love a nice bit of cheese! On my crackers that is! Xx

By *am sampsonMan  over a year ago

cwmbran

"Do love a nice bit of cheese! On my crackers that is! Xx "
it will give you nightmares

By *arambarMan  over a year ago

swindon

"U don't have to pay it though! They can't legally take gratuities if u don't want to pay them!

I think! "

It all depends upon whether the wording on any menus, bills and other literature states that the service charge is discretionary or mandatory.

If it says that the service charge is mandatory then legally - as the wording implies - you have to pay it*. Saying that, if a restaurant has stated that a service charge is mandatory, then the owner has to pay National Insurance Contributions on the service charge portion as well as the employees' salaries.

Where a restaurant states that a service charge is discretionary, then there is no legal requirement for NICs to be paid. They are, therefore, more rewarding for the staff... although they're not guaranteed.

* however, legally you are also entitled, under certain circumstances, to not pay what a restaurant has charged you.

Briefly speaking, when you enter a restaurant and sit down at a table you are entering into a contract with the restaurant owner. Your part of the contract is concerned with you accepting the prices advertised and confirming you have the means to pay for the food you're ordering. The restaurant owner's part of the contract, however, concerns supplying you with food, and that food has to be fit for purpose (i.e. won't make you ill), and also that any advertising they've done isn't misleading.

If you feel that the restaurant owner did not uphold his part of the contract, e.g. the food was unsafely cooked or had gone off, or it didn't in any way resemble the pictures on the menu, or they didn't give you what you'd ordered / what was described, then you are fully entitled to claim they are in breach of contract and that, as a result, you will not be paying the bill as you have subsequently been relieved from the contract.

You can't just walk out of a restaurant, however, without paying. That's classed as theft! Similarly, you have to be able to demonstrate that you were fully able to pay the original price of the food had it been to your standards, otherwise you are in breach of contract (as you didn't have sufficient funds to pay for it in the first place). It's also very difficult to claim that a restaurant is in breach of contract by serving you shit food, if you've eaten the whole lot... so make sure you keep some of it, to be used as evidence, if you do ever decide to do this.

By *ushroom7Man  over a year ago

Bradford

I think!

It all depends upon whether the wording on any menus, bills and other literature states that the service charge is discretionary or mandatory.

If it says that the service charge is mandatory then legally - as the wording implies - you have to pay it*. Saying that, if a restaurant has stated that a service charge is mandatory, then the owner has to pay National Insurance Contributions on the service charge portion as well as the employees' salaries.

Where a restaurant states that a service charge is discretionary, then there is no legal requirement for NICs to be paid. They are, therefore, more rewarding for the staff... although they're not guaranteed.

* however, legally you are also entitled, under certain circumstances, to not pay what a restaurant has charged you.

Briefly speaking, when you enter a restaurant and sit down at a table you are entering into a contract with the restaurant owner. Your part of the contract is concerned with you accepting the prices advertised and confirming you have the means to pay for the food you're ordering. The restaurant owner's part of the contract, however, concerns supplying you with food, and that food has to be fit for purpose (i.e. won't make you ill), and also that any advertising they've done isn't misleading.

If you feel that the restaurant owner did not uphold his part of the contract, e.g. the food was unsafely cooked or had gone off, or it didn't in any way resemble the pictures on the menu, or they didn't give you what you'd ordered / what was described, then you are fully entitled to claim they are in breach of contract and that, as a result, you will not be paying the bill as you have subsequently been relieved from the contract.

You can't just walk out of a restaurant, however, without paying. That's classed as theft! Similarly, you have to be able to demonstrate that you were fully able to pay the original price of the food had it been to your standards, otherwise you are in breach of contract (as you didn't have sufficient funds to pay for it in the first place). It's also very difficult to claim that a restaurant is in breach of contract by serving you shit food, if you've eaten the whole lot... so make sure you keep some of it, to be used as evidence, if you do ever decide to do this. "

If it was't shit food when it went in it certainly will be on the way out.

"Do love a nice bit of cheese! On my crackers that is! Xx it will give you nightmares"

Ah but when I wake p shaking and upset someone will need to sooth those nightmares and replace them with something fun! Xx

By *awty_MissDynomiteNo1Woman  over a year ago

No idea, I'm lost. Damn Sat nav!

[Removed by poster at 30/12/11 18:22:12]

when booking a table or entering a restaurant, ask if there is a service charge automatically added to the bill

if there is, eat somewhere else

"

if there is, eat somewhere else"

Having spent a few years in catering when I was younger including waiting table in restaurants

I would never eat somewhere with a service charge

And never tip anyone

Tight? No not really what's the difference that makes catering a tipable trade to any other? Xx

By *ushroom7Man  over a year ago

Bradford

Slightly off topic, but the debate about tipping in the USA amuses/irritates me.

Mainly how some argue the tip should be upto 25% ( 10% to 25% range ). And an ever increasing range of "trades" to tip.

Granted their basic rates may be lower and the standard of service higher than here but there is a limit.

By *he_original_poloWoman  over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

I avoid places which have a service charge... I like to have the choice.

If the service is OK and just OK... I don't tip.

If I get good service I tip.... approx 10%

If I get really great service I give an even bigger tip.

My hairdresser gets a 40-50% tip.

I once gave a heating engineer £100 and his team £20 each. His 3 lads did all the work, but the boss guy had pretty much taken on the project management role co-ordinating a builder, plasterer, electricians and a kitchen fitter. He got them all to turn up when they should and do what they should... to him it was all part of the service... to me it deserved a nice thank you.

And that's what I see a tip as... a nice thank you.

» Add a new message to this topic