FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Sally Challen - getting away with murder?

Sally Challen - getting away with murder?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Sally Challen: Hammer killer wife in 'landmark' appeal http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-47381476

Should this appeal succeed, or is it another case of women being treated to leniently by the law and held to a lesser standard than men?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

She was abused by him for 30 years

Unless you ve lived her life or lived in an abusive relationship you won't understand the dynamics of her case.

When someone evil gets in your head and breaks you it's can seem like one of the only ways out.

I clearly remember having no money to leave and find somewhere else to live, I'd been secretly bidding on the council for properties knowing that if my ex found out the consequences would be devastating.

I called them one day in turmoil, begging them to hurry as if I didn't get out soon one of us was going to die and I didn't know which one.

I was scared of going to the police as my ex was a master manipulator. Again = consequences

I couldn't tell my family as I knew my dad would end up doing time if he knew the extent of the abuse I suffered.

The thought of the "freedom" and safety of prison can actually be a pretty appealing one when you wake up wondering if today is the day he's finally gonna kill ya.

P

By *tella HeelsTV/TS  over a year ago

west here ford shire

At first I thought yes she should be able to appeal, then I heard the bashed his skull in 22 times with a hammer!!

Sorry that’s murder

By *om and JennieCouple  over a year ago

Chams or Socials

"When someone evil gets in your head and breaks you it's can seem like one of the only ways out.

I clearly remember having no money to leave and find somewhere else to live, I'd been secretly bidding on the council for properties knowing that if my ex found out the consequences would be devastating.

I called them one day in turmoil, begging them to hurry as if I didn't get out soon one of us was going to die and I didn't know which one.

I was scared of going to the police as my ex was a master manipulator. Again = consequences

I couldn't tell my family as I knew my dad would end up doing time if he knew the extent of the abuse I suffered.

The thought of the "freedom" and safety of prison can actually be a pretty appealing one when you wake up wondering if today is the day he's finally gonna kill ya.

P"

My friend managed to re-house a lady today in a similar situation. My friend isn’t an emotional person but this lady got to her & I actually saw my friend cry for the 1st time in years. The lady has gone from having literally only the clothes she wore to having a nicely furnished 1 bedroomed flat. He controlled everything. They’ve sorted a new bank account for her & arranged for her salary to be transferred, contacted all service providers for previous property & informed no longer living there etc... It’s been a bit of a process but the lady is safe (& so is the abuser - for now).

J x

By *obbytupperMan  over a year ago

Menston near Ilkley

"At first I thought yes she should be able to appeal, then I heard the bashed his skull in 22 times with a hammer!!

Sorry that’s murder"

Well she didn't want him getting up to abuse her again so she ensured he wouldn't.

By *ineMan  over a year ago

In cave behind a waterfall on a hill

How is she getting away with murder OP.

She's been charged convicted and imprisoned.

The legal process is their for a reason, appeals processes are part of that purpose....

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

From the little I recall of this case she had already left him. She'd bought her own place. They were planning a reconciliation. She killed him after finding a call from a woman on his mobile.....

But hey ... We can all draw our own conclusions.

I'd call it murder. She was free of him before she killed him.

west here ford shire

"From the little I recall of this case she had already left him. She'd bought her own place. They were planning a reconciliation. She killed him after finding a call from a woman on his mobile.....

I'd call it murder. She was free of him before she killed him. "

Well said, I’m getting pvt messsges over my point of view, which is fine..

But she mashed his skull in, this isn’t a normal response to anything, if she was a sane person, I could understand 3,4,5 times, but 22 times it’s hortid...

She is a murderer, she took a life by mushing his skull in!!

This person cannot be released back into the public...

I heard all about this case on Law in Action on Radio 4 the other day. Sally Challen suffered years of mental and physical abuse and finally snapped.

She has served time and should now be allowed to rebuild her life as best she can.

"When someone evil gets in your head and breaks you it's can seem like one of the only ways out.

P"

xxxx

"From the little I recall of this case she had already left him. She'd bought her own place. They were planning a reconciliation. She killed him after finding a call from a woman on his mobile.....

I'd call it murder. She was free of him before she killed him.

Well said, I’m getting pvt messsges over my point of view, which is fine..

But she mashed his skull in, this isn’t a normal response to anything, if she was a sane person, I could understand 3,4,5 times, but 22 times it’s hortid...

She is a murderer, she took a life by mushing his skull in!!

This person cannot be released back into the public... "

For me this is the salient point. She planned to kill someone and then carried out that plan. That’s murder, pure and simple. Anything else is mitigation.

If you think about it, if you followed this to it’s logical conclusion, how many domestic murders (where women are by far and large the biggest victims) could end up being blamed, effectively, on the actions of the victim.

west here ford shire

She got her wish a re-trial

By *picknspanMan  over a year ago

North West Leeds

If she has killed him during the times that she suffered from his abusive behaviour then there are mitigating circumstances that should be given due consideration.

If she had left and started her life away from him and later returned to commit a premeditated action of violence that led to his death then she willingly committed murder.

Retaliation or revenge, especially if calculated and premeditated, is not a defence in law.

west here ford shire

It was the latter, she had left him and hit him over 20 times with a hammer

By *arlomaleMan  over a year ago

darlington

Let her out just don’t let do any diy with stuff that involves the use of a hammer

By *picknspanMan  over a year ago

North West Leeds

"It was the latter, she had left him and hit him over 20 times with a hammer"

Simple....Murder

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

"It was the latter, she had left him and hit him over 20 times with a hammer

Simple....Murder"

Easy for you to say that!

"If she has killed him during the times that she suffered from his abusive behaviour then there are mitigating circumstances that should be given due consideration.

If she had left and started her life away from him and later returned to commit a premeditated action of violence that led to his death then she willingly committed murder.

Retaliation or revenge, especially if calculated and premeditated, is not a defence in law."

By *loswingersCouple  over a year ago

Gloucester

I find the whole case unbelievable , even more so now she has been given a retrial .

They had already split up and were living separately . She invited him over to their family home for a meal she had prepared . She saw a msg on his phone from another woman and bludgeoned him over twenty times over the head when he returned to the kitchen .

And that’s not murder ?

"I find the whole case unbelievable , even more so now she has been given a retrial .

They had already split up and were living separately . She invited him over to their family home for a meal she had prepared . She saw a msg on his phone from another woman and bludgeoned him over twenty times over the head when he returned to the kitchen .

And that’s not murder ?

"

I've only read bits in the news. But yes on this evidence it's murder.

By *rontier PsychiatristMan  over a year ago

Coventry

I would say they haven't just took her legal teams word for it and said ok, retrial. Surely a reasonable enough case has been put forward with eveidence to suggest that he may have been seriously abusive and evil. Thus potentially changing not the fact that she has committed a crime but the nature of that crime and thus it's sentencing. I don't think there's any doubt that she has done the wrong thing by killing him but it's only fair that people be punished in accordance and proporianally to all the mitigating factors at play. We are all capable of doing the wrong thing, especially in dark and stressful circumstances. Sometimes as a result we may not even be capable of thinking streight. Given a different outcome I bet a fair few of us could end up in the same situation that she claims. I bet most of hope that we would be tried fairly and proportionally to the wider situation surrounding the act. Of course in many countries in the world with the death penalty she may not be alive today seek a retrial.

By *rontier PsychiatristMan  over a year ago

Coventry

And of course the retrial may find her just as guilty. But Cleary there is enough evidence put forward to grant a retrial.

west here ford shire

"I find the whole case unbelievable , even more so now she has been given a retrial .

And that’s not murder ?

"

Where women are murdered at a rate of 2 a week by partners, I wonder how many men will try the defence of “she drove me to it” as that’s effectively what her defence is?

By *om and JennieCouple  over a year ago

Chams or Socials

Copied from the BBC

The conviction was overturned by three judges who said the evidence of a psychiatrist, that Mrs Challen was suffering from two mental disorders at the time of the killing, was not available at the trial and undermined the safety of her conviction

New evidence can be used to request a retrial and I believe that this is the basis of the appeal?

J

"Where women are murdered at a rate of 2 a week by partners, I wonder how many men will try the defence of “she drove me to it” as that’s effectively what her defence is?"

1.7 and the number gets lower every year.

She was abused, no one is arguing against that fact. But she had left him she was no longer being abused by him.

They got divorced and were considering a reconciliation.she found messages in his phone from another woman and murdered him.

Regardless of how you want to spin it, its murder plain and simple. I've reqd a fair bit about domestic violence over the years after my sister was a victim of it. Over half of all domestic violence is reciprocal. In other words the partners both abuse each other. And also just under half of a victims of domestic violence are male.

After my reading on the subject. And this case, it wouldn't surprise me if there was a lot more going on that we don't kbkw about. If she can reduce his skull and brains to pâté over a few text messages, then I'm more inclined to believe that the violence in this relationship was reciprocal. She was probably every bit as abusive and violent as he was.

Sadly as she's a woman she knows playing the victim card will give her leverage. This happens a lot. Look at the numbers of men who end up arrested when they report their wives have abused them. Women can be and often are every bit as abusive as men, sexually, verbally and physically.

All to often we are preached to about how all domestic violence lays at the hands of men when reality says that just isn't the case. If you want to see some justification of what I claim, take a look at domestic violence figures in gay and lesbian relationships. Lesbian relationships have a higher incidence of reciprocal violence than heterosexual couples.

Don't get me wrong, there are some horrible men out there. But there are just as many horrible women.

» Add a new message to this topic