FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Tv Licence

Tv Licence

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *egularLegs OP   Man  over a year ago

Erdington

Has anyone else stoped paying these vultures for a tv license? I was going to do the "I don't need a tv licence" option.

Only have a TV for streaming and game console and I never use iPlayer. I occasionally only have sky news on.

I have basic virgin media services but only because the internet cheaper if I went with a basic package.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

I've never paid for one in ma life

By *uciyassMan  over a year ago

sheffield

You don’t need a licence to meet me. I is free

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Has anyone else stoped paying these vultures for a tv license? I was going to do the "I don't need a tv licence" option.

Only have a TV for streaming and game console and I never use iPlayer. I occasionally only have sky news on.

I have basic virgin media services but only because the internet cheaper if I went with a basic package.

"

You still need one

Erdington

"I've never paid for one in ma life "

Have you had letters? I figure the cost to send letters out to have or send someone to check would cost more than a license which puts them in negative value.

Erdington

"Has anyone else stoped paying these vultures for a tv license? I was going to do the "I don't need a tv licence" option.

You still need one"

Why?

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

"You don’t need a licence to meet me. I is free "

Erdington

"You don’t need a licence to meet me. I is free "

It's "I am free" not "I is free". Unless your Bob Marley.

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"I've never paid for one in ma life

Have you had letters? I figure the cost to send letters out to have or send someone to check would cost more than a license which puts them in negative value."

I get the occasional letter addressed to " The Occupier", I've been here for 6 years, they go straight in the bin

By *uciyassMan  over a year ago

sheffield

"You don’t need a licence to meet me. I is free

It's "I am free" not "I is free". Unless your Bob Marley."

At this hour of the night you can call me anything

By *icada 3301Man  over a year ago

Swindon / London

You still need one

Why?"

Because you have "the capability" to watch live TV from virgin media. Even having an aerial plugged in and never turning your TV on you need one. I may be wrong but I think they know if you have virgin/sky TV the same as they get notified if you buy a new TV in a shop.

You will pretty much find it impossible to prove in court that you didn't watch TV if you are paying for TV services.

Besides technically those odd times you pop sky news on you need a TV license

By *acey_RedWoman  over a year ago

Liverpool

No I don't pay it but then we don't have a TV.

"

never paid never will

Erdington

You still need one

Why?

Because you have "the capability" to watch live TV from virgin media. Even having an aerial plugged in and never turning your TV on you need one. I may be wrong but I think they know if you have virgin/sky TV the same as they get notified if you buy a new TV in a shop.

You will pretty much find it impossible to prove in court that you didn't watch TV if you are paying for TV services.

Besides technically those odd times you pop sky news on you need a TV license"

Hmm possibly. I'm only having cable service for a year as I'm paying 27 quid a month on an introductory offer as it makes the broadband 20 quid cheaper a month.

When that's up I'm only going to pay for the broadband connection.

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man  over a year ago

BRIDPORT

I haven’t had a tv license for 10 years or so and I told them I don’t have a telly but the letters keep ‘a’ Comin. Had one last week telling me my property was ‘under investigation’. They must have some crapp investigators ‘cause I’ve been getting that letter for a least 3 years.

Erdington

"I haven’t had a tv license for 10 years or so and I told them I don’t have a telly but the letters keep ‘a’ Comin. Had one last week telling me my property was ‘under investigation’. They must have some crapp investigators ‘cause I’ve been getting that letter for a least 3 years. "

They have that Van.

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man  over a year ago

BRIDPORT

"I haven’t had a tv license for 10 years or so and I told them I don’t have a telly but the letters keep ‘a’ Comin. Had one last week telling me my property was ‘under investigation’. They must have some crapp investigators ‘cause I’ve been getting that letter for a least 3 years.

They have that Van."

Yeah I think they must all be sat in it watching tv

By *uskymotoMan  over a year ago

Cumbria

First, don't reply to a letter addressed to "the occupier" you're not an occupier in legalese. You're not breaking the law by not having one, you're contravening a statute or act of parliament (civil) which can only be enforced by your agreement. Have a Google for legal fiction and learn the laws (lies) they control us by.

I haven't paid for years! I used to get letters, but ignored them all.

Eventually they gave up.

By *winkleFairyCouple  over a year ago

UK

"

Watching sky news = you need a TV license

By *dores blackmenWoman  over a year ago

incognito mode ;-)

I've not had a tv license for 4 years,I contacted them and said I do not require one

They send an email confirming this,also stating they can come and check at any time and email reminders will be sent out.I've not recieved a letter for years.

My tv Ariel is still bundled in a knot behind my sofa,don't even know if it works

My telly is plugged into gaming equipment in teenagers room

My lounge has no telly

All pc,phones and tablets have no bbc products downloaded

We never watch live tv

I've survived without eastenders and casuality for 4 years no problem

All I pay is £3 a month share of Netflix with other family members

By *irenGuy70Man  over a year ago

Cirencester

You still need one

Why?

Besides technically those odd times you pop sky news on you need a TV license"

That's not true. You don't need one just because you have an aerial and tv, for example you could just be watching dvds. If you declare you don't need a tv licence, it's up to them to prove you watch/record tv programmes as they are broadcast 'live', or iplayer. You can legally watch catch-up tv or streaming services like Netflix without a tv license, as long as it's not via iplayer. I do agree though that it's suspicious if you've got Sky as there are much cheaper options just to watch catch-up tv.

UK

You still need one

Why?

That's not true. You don't need one just because you have an aerial and tv, for example you could just be watching dvds. If you declare you don't need a tv licence, it's up to them to prove you watch/record tv programmes as they are broadcast 'live', or iplayer. You can legally watch catch-up tv or streaming services like Netflix without a tv license, as long as it's not via iplayer. I do agree though that it's suspicious if you've got Sky as there are much cheaper options just to watch catch-up tv. "

If you have a TV and it’s capable of receiving channels (so built in free view or a box attached) and you’ve plugged it into the aerial you are going to have some convincing to do that you aren’t watching live TV. Otherwise why have you plugged it in?

Just like having a virgin media / sky tv package but then claiming you don’t ever watch it, why would you?

By *ENGUYMan  over a year ago

Hull

I work away from home so don't need a TV for the few brief return trips I make each year

Television Licensing are happy with this arrangement; I just update my circumstances every 2 yrs by phone, and they are happy!

Where I work, is also my "home" within a Hotel standard room, provided free with my job. It includes a Flat screen TV, but as part of the Hotel's Licence, it's all paid for!

By *irenGuy70Man  over a year ago

Cirencester

You still need one

Why?

That's not true. You don't need one just because you have an aerial and tv, for example you could just be watching dvds. If you declare you don't need a tv licence, it's up to them to prove you watch/record tv programmes as they are broadcast 'live', or iplayer. You can legally watch catch-up tv or streaming services like Netflix without a tv license, as long as it's not via iplayer. I do agree though that it's suspicious if you've got Sky as there are much cheaper options just to watch catch-up tv.

If you have a TV and it’s capable of receiving channels (so built in free view or a box attached) and you’ve plugged it into the aerial you are going to have some convincing to do that you aren’t watching live TV. Otherwise why have you plugged it in?

Just like having a virgin media / sky tv package but then claiming you don’t ever watch it, why would you?"

Yeah, I agree. Probably best to disconnect the ariel like one poster above did. My point was though that just because you have the 'capability' doesn't necessarily mean you have to have a tv license. It's up to the authority to prove that you are breaking the law by watching/recording live content or iplayer without a license.

We don’t have one and only watch Netflix and the like.

Wipe your ass on the next letter and post it back to them.

its a tax, the sooner this is made public the better, dont watcht the bbc, dont forget who paid all those pedofiles, i hate having to pay for things i dont believe in, i dont have a pluged in tv, and hate letters telling me im lying unless i prove it.and yes i pay income tax

Erdington

"You don’t need a licence to meet me. I is free

It's "I am free" not "I is free". Unless your Bob Marley.

At this hour of the night you can call me anything "

I'll call you later.

Erdington

"its a tax, the sooner this is made public the better, dont watcht the bbc, dont forget who paid all those pedofiles, i hate having to pay for things i dont believe in, i dont have a pluged in tv, and hate letters telling me im lying unless i prove it.and yes i pay income tax"

It's all shit tv. I only watch Netflix or YouTube.

Only good TV show is the Great British Bake Off and the BBC don't even have that anymore.

Erdington

Watching sky news = you need a TV license "

It's ridiculous really.

Imagine if you only shoped at Aldi but Tesco's email you saying you need to pay us too.

I don’t pay and done watch Bbc british bullshit corp

Erdington

https://petition.parliament.uk/archived/petitions/170931?reveal_response=yes

Government responded

This response was given on 24 February 2017

A licence is required in order to watch all live or nearly-live television content on any device in the UK or to stream or download any programmes in an on-demand programme service provided by the BBC

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

The company that licence collection and evasions was outsourced to appear about as offensive as they can get, according to media coverage of them

People should absolutely not be treated as if probably breaking the law, when no evidence is held. It's obscene. Is it Capita?

I'm happy to pay for the BBC radio and occasional television. It helps to subsidise BBC and other production companies. I certainly think not having advertisements is preferable to the dross channels in the usa and other countries - about a quarter of the broadcast is adverts.

Just call say you don't need one then they won't bother you for about 2 years. Then you just need to sayy still don't need one.

"

I dont even have a TV,told them a few times.

I love bbc programs,ones that matter like Attenborough stuff,horizon.

not shit like strictly,bakeoffs,nor eastenders.

I'm a big sci-fi fan, and cannot stand the BBC doctorwho's(after eccelstons),apart from that there is no scifi on bbc thats worthwhile of my time,I could watch Atlantis I suppose.

I bet my gran still pays her TVlicence even though she pays £70+ for her virgin(which doesn't include INTERNET!!!!),it's something I'm gonna have to sort for her.

"The company that licence collection and evasions was outsourced to appear about as offensive as they can get, according to media coverage of them

People should absolutely not be treated as if probably breaking the law, when no evidence is held. It's obscene. Is it Capita?

I'm happy to pay for the BBC radio and occasional television. It helps to subsidise BBC and other production companies. I certainly think not having advertisements is preferable to the dross channels in the usa and other countries - about a quarter of the broadcast is adverts. "

definitely not breaking the law,access to news at least should be free information as a human right,in my opinion.

Erdington

"The company that licence collection and evasions was outsourced to appear about as offensive as they can get, according to media coverage of them

I'm happy to pay for the BBC radio and occasional television. It helps to subsidise BBC and other production companies. I certainly think not having advertisements is preferable to the dross channels in the usa and other countries - about a quarter of the broadcast is adverts. "

Yes it's comforting to know the BBC is funded by fear.

By *an and wifeyCouple  over a year ago

n lincs

The BBC tv licence should become a pay per view like any other format -virgin ,sky Netflix etc. So we have the choice to say no I'm not paying for this crap .the tv licence is so outdated with what crap you get compared to other paid services you enjoy paying to watch

By *innie The MinxWoman  over a year ago

Under the Duvet

I don't have a TV or watch tv, so don't have a licence. Ticked the box online, job done.

By *gnitemybodyWoman  over a year ago

Onestepoutofthedoor

Maybe if the people who should pay it but don't then it would be cheaper for everyone. Pissed me off.

By *est Wales WifeCouple  over a year ago

Near Carmarthen

Do a search for "TV Licence Resistance Forum" for a lot of info on this.

UK

Watching sky news = you need a TV license

It's ridiculous really.

Imagine if you only shoped at Aldi but Tesco's email you saying you need to pay us too."

Ridiculous as it is... it’s the law!

I completely agree that it’s outdated and should be changed (the BBC just need to suck it up and have adverts like everyone else) but ultimately right now, it is what it is and if you watch live TV you need a TV license

UK

I'm happy to pay for the BBC radio and occasional television. It helps to subsidise BBC and other production companies. I certainly think not having advertisements is preferable to the dross channels in the usa and other countries - about a quarter of the broadcast is adverts.

definitely not breaking the law,access to news at least should be free information as a human right,in my opinion."

You definitely are breaking the law if you watch the Sky News channel without a TV license

We can argue about the ethics of whether we should have to pay for a licence to watch none BBC channels til we are blue in the face but the law is really very simple.

If you watch live streamed TV or access any BBC on demand service you need a TV licence

By *abs..Woman  over a year ago

I have a license because I watch TV and therefore responsible for paying it. If I owe it, I pay it.

Do I think we should have to pay for one? No I do not.

By *wickermanMan  over a year ago

Staines

"The BBC tv licence should become a pay per view "

The BBC would be more than happy for their TV operations to go to a subscription basis. They have conducted extensive willingness to pay research and would be better funded via this model. Public service responsibilities would be lost or paid for by the government at true cost.

How all the other parts of the BBC, radio web especially the education service etc be paid for? Also S4C and regional language channels receive money from the license fee, how would they be funded?

definitely not breaking the law,access to news at least should be free information as a human right,in my opinion.

You definitely are breaking the law if you watch the Sky News channel without a TV license

We can argue about the ethics of whether we should have to pay for a licence to watch none BBC channels til we are blue in the face but the law is really very simple.

If you watch live streamed TV or access any BBC on demand service You need a TV licence "

Breaking the law I'm thinking you work for them?

Yes it's comforting to know the BBC is funded by fear."

By *eakcoupleCouple  over a year ago

peak district

We don't mind the BBC pushing out Marxist and Remainiac propaganda, because we don't have to watch it or listen to it. But we DO object to paying for it. The sooner the BBC is forced to go for subscription viewing the better.

Trouble is, if you don't watch it and refuse to pay, you get a massive fine and criminal record. How fair is that?

By *2000ManMan  over a year ago

Worthing

I will add to the argument that it boils my blood to see the salaries paid to some BBC "stars".

By *ig1gaz1Man  over a year ago

bradford

"The BBC tv licence should become a pay per view like any other format -virgin ,sky Netflix etc. So we have the choice to say no I'm not paying for this crap .the tv licence is so outdated with what crap you get compared to other paid services you enjoy paying to watch "

I agree however due to that we all can receive a broadcast

I believe it should be a mast charge through the council tax someones got to pay for the power and transmission of signals so everyone can receive something.

By *icada 3301Man  over a year ago

Swindon / London

"The BBC tv licence should become a pay per view like any other format -virgin ,sky Netflix etc. So we have the choice to say no I'm not paying for this crap .the tv licence is so outdated with what crap you get compared to other paid services you enjoy paying to watch

I agree however due to that we all can receive a broadcast

I believe it should be a mast charge through the council tax someones got to pay for the power and transmission of signals so everyone can receive something."

People can, they can still receive all other Freeview channels. These are not funded by a TV license and not a subscription either. Built into modern TVs or buy a box.

Make it law to remove BBC 1 & 2, and BBC radio one from these boxes and hey presto, the BBC are not providing anything that consumers are using and people can still receive signals.

They won't do this because it makes a challenge against the TV license stronger. You need it to watch any channel, but the money only goes to the BBC and you can't receive it at all.

Let the BBC become subscription based, that's fine I don't use it. Or let the BBC be funded by adverts like all other Freeview channels, that's I probably still won't watch it but at least everyone will receive it.

» Add a new message to this topic