FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Budget Airlines

Budget Airlines

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Are they really that bad. Is the customer service really as bad as the reviews would have you believe.

I've flown on package holidays with the likes of Thomson etc, and they have always been good.

But what about companies like Ryanair, BMI Baby, EasiJet. Is it worth a bad service for a short distance or is paying that bit more always the best option in the long run

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

This say's it all...

cheap flights fascinating aida

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPyl2tOaKxM

By *ovedupstillCouple  over a year ago

mullinwire

we use ryanair and aerlingus all the time (one of us at least every other week) due to us living apart, and for the price you pay (if you manage to book at the right time) you really cant fault them.

for the price of fuel to drive to, say, Dorset and back, i can fly to dublin on a friday and come back on a monday.

for that kind of price i would happily sit on an orange crate.

but then i know no other airlines.

ryanair, the seats aresmall and te staff are more often than not foreign, but are polite enough i suppose.

aerlingus, the staff are nearly always irish/british and the seating is larger/more comfortable, but the flights are more expensive.

The Flight price is usually good however by the time they add on all the other charges its usually doubled!

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

"Are they really that bad. Is the customer service really as bad as the reviews would have you believe.

I've flown on package holidays with the likes of Thomson etc, and they have always been good.

But what about companies like Ryanair, BMI Baby, EasiJet. Is it worth a bad service for a short distance or is paying that bit more always the best option in the long run "

I have used Ryanair and Easyjet a while back...they got me to were I wanted to go and back again.

The staff were polite, the pilot flew me where I wanted to go, so I got what I needed. I would say Easyjet was a bit more comfy than Ryanair though.

I have been on a long haul flight with a major airline and had the same service, although you got your meals with it

By *he_original_poloWoman  over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

For short flights budget airlines are brilliant........ but then again so are private charters. You don't get much more budget than a plane with one propeller and no toilet.

I am taking 5 people on holiday to the Balearics in July and seen a great All Inclusive deal. I want to keep costs as low as possible, as I'd rather spend the money on the hotel. The cheapest flights quoted were with Ryanair.

But I've read reviews, albeit media horror stories, which complain about parties not being seated together, I don't expect 5 of us to be together but I'd like someone I know next to me, mix ups with bookings, staff not being able to keep hen and stag party revellers under control. That's my worst nightmare, being stuck in an enclosed space with groups of d*unken slobs for 2 hours.

I'm weighing up whether to take the risk and there's a chance ill have a good experience and it will be cheaper, or go with good old Thomson in the belief that you get what you pay for.

By *awkeye and HotlipsCouple  over a year ago

Takeley

Rate Easyjet very highly, use them all the time. Heard horror stories about Ryan Air, notable, with family and friends being flown back to " another" airport, miles away from their intended destination and being told" we have fulfilled our contract to get you to the UK, you are on your own", check out the website skytrax, every airline has passenger comments, that you can form an opinion, I have mine! Air Berlin was fantastic, including allocated seats and a snack, juice and oj. BA now have an option online whereby you can compare their flights with all the budget airlines, with all the taxes included, which is useful.

By *ezebelWoman  over a year ago

North of The Wall - youll need your vest

"I am taking 5 people on holiday to the Balearics in July and seen a great All Inclusive deal. I want to keep costs as low as possible, as I'd rather spend the money on the hotel. The cheapest flights quoted were with Ryanair.

But I've read reviews, albeit media horror stories, which complain about parties not being seated together, I don't expect 5 of us to be together but I'd like someone I know next to me, mix ups with bookings, staff not being able to keep hen and stag party revellers under control. That's my worst nightmare, being stuck in an enclosed space with groups of d*unken slobs for 2 hours.

I'm weighing up whether to take the risk and there's a chance ill have a good experience and it will be cheaper, or go with good old Thomson in the belief that you get what you pay for. "

You may well not be seated together but Ive experienced the other things you mention on normal charter flights too, so no guaranteeing it will or wont happen....

Suppose it depends on whether the price difference is significant or not...

"Rate Easyjet very highly, use them all the time. Heard horror stories about Ryan Air, notable, with family and friends being flown back to " another" airport, miles away from their intended destination and being told" we have fulfilled our contract to get you to the UK, you are on your own", check out the website skytrax, every airline has passenger comments, that you can form an opinion, I have mine! Air Berlin was fantastic, including allocated seats and a snack, juice and oj. BA now have an option online whereby you can compare their flights with all the budget airlines, with all the taxes included, which is useful. "

Thank you for the info.

I have also read lots of the comments about being flown back to other airports in relation to Ryanair. I would be more comfortable with any other budget airline but them. So I think I've just answered my own questions

mullinwire

with ryanair you park your arse where you want, so as long as you all queue together, and are near enough to the front, you get your pick.

alternatively, you can book seats, but it costs, suprisingly.

see, this is where aerlingus is full of crap.

they advertise flights to ireland for 19.99, which would be perfect for us, but they dont tell you, the flight at that time would be 2am or some other stupid time, or a date you dont want to fly on, THEN you HAVE to reserve a seat with them, which costs between 5 and 10 pounds, but what isnt on the site is, if you leave reservation until the day before you leave, its free!

Budget carriers are a good option for short haul trips and have opened up routes that mainline carriers wouldn't consider.

You should always research what airlines fly a particular route and compare the two.

Other things to consider are whether particular seats are of importance to you and whether you are taking luggage, and if so, how much ?

Figure all factors in and do a a cost comparison, but also check which offer a schedule that fits your itinerary best.

Sometimes budget carriers will be cheaper, sometimes they will be more expensive.

Then consider journey times and how long it would take you to your destination if a direct flight wasn't available or if an interlinking flight is the cheaper option.

For example, I have booked to fly to Porto in September.

From the North West the only direct flight is Ryanair 3 x week may - october only from Liverpool.

The cost on the dates I wanted were £189 including baggage.

Flight times are evening flights out and late evening flight back.

Flight time is about 2h15min

I have found indirect flights from Manchester for £185 via Frankfurt on the way out and Brussels on the way back.

Flight times including connections are about 5/6 hours in each direction but there are no restrictions on the luggage and I get a full day on the 1st Day and on the last day.

So all things considered, I regarded the indirect option as being the better deal on this occasion.

However, the last 2 times I have been Ryanair were much cheaper and I therefore plumped for them on both occasions.

Easyjet, BMiBaby and Jet2 tend to fly from / to bigger airports than Ryanair and generally you aren't as likely to be coralled like cattle into a gate boarding area like you are with Ryanair.

Also consider some of the European low cost carriers depending on your destination and departure airport, Wizz Air for central / eastern Europe, Germanwings for Germany and so on.

The other thing to consider is that some mainline carriers have now scaled down cabin service in their economy cabins and passengers are still expected to pay for drinks and refreshments. Some also charge for baggage. So check what they offer in their ticket price.

If you are headed to the Balearics, also look at Monarch - as well as their charter arm, they offer a scheduled service on some routes.

Have done Manchester to Palma and Barcelona with them loads of times and never had any issues whatsoever.

As well as BMiBaby, BMI mainline also used to fly a scheduled East Midlands to Palma service which I have used, but it was some time ago, so not sure if they still operate that route or it was transferred to Baby.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Good advice bussy. I will consider some of the cheaper airlines, but never Ryanair, as I despise their business practices and the owner - realise that for many, they may be the only carrier, but I'd rather walk on broken glass.

Also, frequent travellers get perks, such as free upgrades, lounge access, free flights, and I find these invaluage - I'm a gold card BA holder, and their first class service is wonderful. They do everything they can to rearrange me, and when stuck overseas, their partners fly me as a priority customer, which is lovely.

Having looked at flight costs, unless you get a really special deal, then they're often not cheaper, once all costs are calculated. I do fly budgets 2 or 4 times a year - , and generally they're ok, if you know what to expect etc, so I can recommend some of them, albeit with reservations about some.

The legal cases against the likes of Ryannair after failing to look after customers, following Iceland's volcano problems, show that they can't be relied upon to even meet their minimum legal obligations, even though you're paying for this, so some companies are unscrupulous. If you have some flexibility over when you travel, it's worth looking out for any deals that may be advertised, before booking full fare.

mullinwire

how the hell do regular frliers get perks?

i flew to dublin twice a month, every month, last year, and didnt get a thing apart from a headache from some screaming bloody kids! lol

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

I fly Ryanair to Reus in Spain on a fairly regular basis and have no qualms about using them, ok you don't get a booked seat but you can book priority for a little extra which gets you onto the plane first.

They offer a great service in my opinion, and I will be using them several times a year after this autumn.

I have been on most and if its not a long only 3 or 4 hours its fine ... seats are not that big so not alot of leg room and maybe no meals only if you wish to have them .. most are ok i have found .

By *oantrimcpl2010Couple  over a year ago

Lisburn

I have flown with Easyjet, Ryaniar, Flybe and BMI Baby from Belfast to Stansted and Birmingham and from Dublin to Birmingham. Can honestly say have never had any problems with any of them.

Yes its a little dear if you are looking a coffee, sandwich etc on flight, but not much more than airport prices really. They have all got me from A to B with no problems. So I happy to continue using them.

Have flown a few times with Ryanair. To be fair they have always been very punctual but they really make you feel like cattle. Easyjet seem that bit more pleasant to deal with.

I think some people still consider flying as some kind of special event rather than a convenient and efficient method of travel and perhaps these people might find budget airlines don’t match their expectations…….!.

However for people who choose cheap flights as a value for money travel option and are readily ecceptant of a service where you'll only what you pay for……. All budget airline’s get my vote….!.

By *cotscpl66Couple  over a year ago

Glasgow

[Removed by poster at 26/03/12 16:49:54]

By *cotscpl66Couple  over a year ago

Glasgow

"This say's it all...

cheap flights fascinating aida

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPyl2tOaKxM"

Hi just had to say that was superb...and it certainly does say it all ....brill and I couldnt stop laughing

Everything is ok with Ryanair until something goes wrong. People have to be aware that they pay little, therefore can't exepct much in return.

Biggest problem with Ryanair is that they're not part of the International Air Transport Association. E.g. if their flight is cancelled due to technical problems, they won't reprotect you on any other carriers as they don't have any agreements to work with them. Most carriers do on the other hand (even Aer Lingus).

So you have to wait until Ryanair can rebook you on their next available flight. If you're stuck somewhere where they only fly once a day, you may stay there for a while....

I say, only fly them if it's really cheap, but never expect much.

"I think some people still consider flying as some kind of special event rather than a convenient and efficient method of travel and perhaps these people might find budget airlines don’t match their expectations…….!.

However for people who choose cheap flights as a value for money travel option and are readily ecceptant of a service where you'll only what you pay for……. All budget airline’s get my vote….!.

"

What it is for me is that I haven't been on package holidays for a few years, apart from last year when I did book with Thomson. I've gone on long haul city breaks and I usually fly with BA or Virgin. I've never been on a budget airline. I expect bad, I just can't guage how bad

mullinwire

never know til you try it, though.

"I think some people still consider flying as some kind of special event rather than a convenient and efficient method of travel and perhaps these people might find budget airlines don’t match their expectations…….!.

What it is for me is that I haven't been on package holidays for a few years, apart from last year when I did book with Thomson. I've gone on long haul city breaks and I usually fly with BA or Virgin. I've never been on a budget airline. I expect bad, I just can't guage how bad "

Speaking from a personal perspective gained from years of using air-travel necessitated by the nature and locations of my work….

I’ve taken a combination of many 100’s of fixed wing and helicopter flights in aircraft that ranged from providing 1st class luxury to being treated as general cargo in aircraft not licensed to carry passengers…

But I can honestly say that in the case of holiday travel, unless the flight time is expected to be longer than 3 hours, I would never consider paying full price commercial prices if there is a budget flight carrier alternative….!. after-all no matter how good or bad the flight conditions turn out, its just a means to get you to your destination.....

By *exywheelsCouple  over a year ago

inverness

I work in the industry and ryan air is one of the few airlines that both of us and a lot of our work mates would not as well PIA is another

I personally do not like to use Ryanair, as I hated the scramble in order to get a seat.

I like an aisle seat and as far forward as possible.

Hence I prefer to pay more in order to choose and book my seat in advance.

Currently I only fly long haul to Hong Kong once every 2 years, and I use Cathy Pacific.

By *ushroom7Man  over a year ago

Bradford

"I have flown with Easyjet, Ryaniar, Flybe and BMI Baby from Belfast to Stansted and Birmingham and from Dublin to Birmingham. Can honestly say have never had any problems with any of them.

Yes its a little dear if you are looking a coffee, sandwich etc on flight, but not much more than airport prices really. They have all got me from A to B with no problems. So I happy to continue using them.

"

Isn't it about time you tried Yeadon ( Leeds/Bradford)?

Budget airlines have loads of extras, taxes, they fuck you around, cancel flights and all sorts of buggering but they are CHEAP! Thats why they are budget no frills flights. You pay your money you get your choice but you don’t get 5 star treatment for takeaway prices.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

easyjet and bmibaby i have never had any issues with...bmibaby are actually really good..... ryanair i would never travel with again... like people have said, if there is an issue they really don't want to know

By *ex.IncCouple  over a year ago

Castleford

Ryanairs additional charges are tantamount to theft. But hey, they make a lot of money through free publicity by coming up with this crazy ideas which gets people talking about them and the name spreading. He's onto a winner.

I'd go out of my way to avoid putting my hard earned cash in Michael O'Leary's fookin pockets. What a hard-faced asshole to treat paying customers like cattle.

"Ryanairs additional charges are tantamount to theft. But hey, they make a lot of money through free publicity by coming up with this crazy ideas which gets people talking about them and the name spreading. He's onto a winner."

They all make stupid claims on price then load the extras on. He isn't loosing money looking at last years figures but others make more profit. I wouldn't rush to fly with them but if it was £100 less one way i might think about it.

mullinwire

"Ryanairs additional charges are tantamount to theft. But hey, they make a lot of money through free publicity by coming up with this crazy ideas which gets people talking about them and the name spreading. He's onto a winner.

They all make stupid claims on price then load the extras on. He isn't loosing money looking at last years figures but others make more profit. I wouldn't rush to fly with them but if it was £100 less one way i might think about it. "

great attitude to have if you fly once or twice a year, but seeings as we do it every other week, got no choice but to go with the robbing fekker

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

also if you are going to fly with ryanair.... make sure that the airport is where they say it actually is....

for example i know a friend who bought a ticket for a flight to brussels.... but what they called "brussels" was actually charoloi... some 50km away...

and i know that is not the only location they pull this type of trick for....

Commuting between NI and England we use Easyjet and Aer Lingus the most and would put aer lingus over Easy jet every time.

Ryanair - one was enough - Luton to Reus - drinks sold to you off a stip of plastic bags - like sauce portions from a chippy - the "extras" doubled the proce of the ticket etc

Jet2 - couldnt fault them - would flay again with them

But to be honest, if we can book far enough ahead - BMI will win as the ticket price includes everything

"also if you are going to fly with ryanair.... make sure that the airport is where they say it actually is....

for example i know a friend who bought a ticket for a flight to brussels.... but what they called "brussels" was actually charoloi... some 50km away...

and i know that is not the only location they pull this type of trick for...."

How the fook is this company allowed to continue operating with all these highly dubious tactics they employ? It's tantamount to fraud isn't it?

"also if you are going to fly with ryanair.... make sure that the airport is where they say it actually is....

and i know that is not the only location they pull this type of trick for....

How the fook is this company allowed to continue operating with all these highly dubious tactics they employ? It's tantamount to fraud isn't it?"

some airports are literally that far from the city they serve

gatwick and stansted are hardly on londons doorstep for example

ryanair have opened up some markets to travellers across europe, so that in itself must be seen as a positive

that said, i do think ryanair should be a little more precise in their marketing of certain destination airports.

easyjet does, in general, fly into the more established airports.

as a travel experience, whilst they can't compete with a premium service on a mainline carrier, they can compare with the 'scaled back' economy adopted by some carriers and they are miles ahead of ryanair in most areas.

"

How the fook is this company allowed to continue operating with all these highly dubious tactics they employ? It's tantamount to fraud isn't it?"

Unfortunately they cover themselves very well. It's all in the Terms and Conditions. The ones they say 'tick this if you agree with our T&C'. No one bothers reading them, because they're a mile long. As annoying as it is, people who tick yes to it should not complain about it after.

Best thing is really to always compare fares. Add up all charges at the end, after baggage, credit card fees, booking fee, idiot fees etc and then make your decision.

By *awty_MissDynomiteNo1Woman  over a year ago

No idea, I'm lost. Damn Sat nav!

"Are they really that bad. Is the customer service really as bad as the reviews would have you believe.

But what about companies like Ryanair, BMI Baby, EasiJet. Is it worth a bad service for a short distance or is paying that bit more always the best option in the long run "

I have been flying with Ryanair for about 6/7 yrs now the staff are polite and efficiant and never once have i had a delayed flight so very happy to keep using them

But what about companies like Ryanair, BMI Baby, EasiJet. Is it worth a bad service for a short distance or is paying that bit more always the best option in the long run

I have been flying with Ryanair for about 6/7 yrs now the staff are polite and efficiant and never once have i had a delayed flight so very happy to keep using them "

Funnily enough when I fly with Ryanair, I prefer a (small) delay.

That little trumpet fanfare they play through the PA when they have an on-time arrival gets right on my paps

mullinwire

I have been flying with Ryanair for about 6/7 yrs now the staff are polite and efficiant and never once have i had a delayed flight so very happy to keep using them

Funnily enough when I fly with Ryanair, I prefer a (small) delay.

That little trumpet fanfare they play through the PA when they have an on-time arrival gets right on my paps "

+1 lmao

Oh, and if you go to the States, just watch out for your pilot if you take an internal flight with JetBlue !

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-17530734

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

"how the hell do regular frliers get perks?

i flew to dublin twice a month, every month, last year, and didnt get a thing apart from a headache from some screaming bloody kids! lol"

It depends on the airlines - most of the budgets don't do frequent flier programmes, some do however, including Monarch. Always search to see, just in case. Where airlines offer multiple classes of service, frequent fliers are first to be upgraded, and the perks vary by airline.

My best recent perk, was a full bed, in first class - and the staff asked me when I wanted it made up etc, plus when I would like dinner served: it was very nice. Upgrades are a little less common than before, as computer systems do overbook most flights, but they've gotten more accurate I think, and so there's less need to upgrade from economy to business to first. But, it still happens.

» Add a new message to this topic