FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Ambulance crews to wear body cams.What !

Ambulance crews to wear body cams.What !

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Ambulance crews in South west to trial body cams.. due to increased violence. .Whats gone wrong with society that this has to even be considered !

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *oc30Man  over a year ago

Cheltenham

I parked up a wrong drive way as the house wasn’t marked in a new area while visiting a poorly old lady on a home visit and was threatened by the owner , he didn’t even let me explain he just said..that he will get the dog out for me .

Some People are just sick ..

By *tephTV67TV/TS  over a year ago

Cheshire

I was a first aider in a Supermarket once, one Sunday I was called to the front end to deal with a medical issue???

Once I arrived I was informed a woman was giving birth in the disabled toilets by a very panicky young cashier. As I was a bakery manager at the time, I realised walking in on her wearing my ‘whites’ smiling about a bun in the oven, wouldn’t be a good idea

However after asking another senior member to check on the Lady, whilst phoning an ambulance, the actuality, was that her waters had broken, so no major concern.

So how does this come around to paramedics , they appeared a few minutes after my call. They’d been having their dinner at the bottom of our car park. So immediately responded to our call, no finishing to eat but if there is someone in need and they’re the closest, they respond.

I have the most respect for these people, have been in queues with them behind me, and insisted they go in front as they don’t know when they’ll be called next. I urge everyone to follow suit and encourage others to do the same.

I won’t get started on what I believe should be the sentence for anyone who assaults any of these amazing professionals.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I have some personal experience of this......'ahem'

Mostly caused by alcohol

A little by some recreational drugs

A little by mental health issues

And a fair proportion caused by the fact that some people are just twats!

And yes.....sentences should be far far tougher

They’ve been trialled by ambulance trusts where there have been high number of incidents of verbal and physical abuse reported.

I think this is a great idea. Nothing makes me more angry than reading stories about our emergency services being attacked, whether it be some drink /drug fuelled lout or someone who is just an aggressive twat with an attitude problem. Too many people get away with this sort of behaviour. If anyone is caught on camera assaulting any emergency first responders, then they should be named, shamed and dealt with by the full force of the law. That means zero tolerance, zero leniency, just jail them.

Assault is assault. Nobody should be assaulted at work so I dont see why charges should be stricter when paramedics get assaulted.

The cameras are a good idea but it wont stop the assaults only help to prosecute.

"I think this is a great idea. Nothing makes me more angry than reading stories about our emergency services being attacked, whether it be some drink /drug fuelled lout or someone who is just an aggressive twat with an attitude problem. Too many people get away with this sort of behaviour. If anyone is caught on camera assaulting any emergency first responders, then they should be named, shamed and dealt with by the full force of the law. That means zero tolerance, zero leniency, just jail them."
that's the problem... the police and the CPS keep trying to,its the soft magistrates giving out leniant sentences..I can't work out why any sentence is halved to start with ..

By *a LunaWoman  over a year ago

Southern Wales

I think if you deal with the public it’s sadly a necessity these days.

Some folk are just idiots

By *m3232Man  over a year ago

maidenhead

"I think if you deal with the public it’s sadly a necessity these days.

Some folk are just idiots "

Agree with you.

"Assault is assault. Nobody should be assaulted at work so I dont see why charges should be stricter when paramedics get assaulted.

The cameras are a good idea but it wont stop the assaults only help to prosecute."

Not sure if that's true....there is some evidence that they do act as a deterrent....so e people do moderate their behaviour if they know it's being filmed and could be used against them

"I think this is a great idea. Nothing makes me more angry than reading stories about our emergency services being attacked, whether it be some drink /drug fuelled lout or someone who is just an aggressive twat with an attitude problem. Too many people get away with this sort of behaviour. If anyone is caught on camera assaulting any emergency first responders, then they should be named, shamed and dealt with by the full force of the law. That means zero tolerance, zero leniency, just jail them. that's the problem... the police and the CPS keep trying to,its the soft magistrates giving out leniant sentences..I can't work out why any sentence is halved to start with .."

Exactly. I've always said the soft touch justice system in this country is an absolute joke. A radical overhaul is what's needed, but how long now have we been saying that ?

As well as justice being toughened people also need to get tougher on people that they know as well.

Every time I’ve been assaulted at work (in a hospital) I can guarantee the Mum/Dad/partner/friend of the person culpable has instantly gone with the whole “Oh they were stressed” or “He’s not normally like that” or, my favourite, “What did you say to her?”

I’ve known staff get tracked down on social media by people wanting them to pull out of any legal proceedings and giving endless reasons why they’ll ruin the life of the person who is in trouble. There’s always an excuse.

And these are supposedly nice people from respectable families. People always assume it’s a drug addict or d*unk person that does - last person who spat in the face of someone in my team was an accountant from a nice area who was annoyed with a drug shortage (like we control that).

It needs to be socially unacceptable, rather than excusable if it’s someone “normally nice”

"Assault is assault. Nobody should be assaulted at work so I dont see why charges should be stricter when paramedics get assaulted.

The cameras are a good idea but it wont stop the assaults only help to prosecute.

Not sure if that's true....there is some evidence that they do act as a deterrent....so e people do moderate their behaviour if they know it's being filmed and could be used against them"

A normal thinking person might yes but someone that is distressed enough to need an ambulance isnt thinking clearly in the first place. Add in alcohol and drugs to the mix then a body camera will not change thier behaviour.

Dont get me wrong I am for the cameras but it isnt going to have the effect that most people think.

By *ssex_tomMan  over a year ago

Chelmsford

I would issue ambulance crews with pepper spray and batons..

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

All blue light personnel come across some horrible people in the course of their work, resulting in emotional and physical abuse. Body cams may not protect them from harm, but will make it easier to prosecute those guilty of abusing them.

"I would issue ambulance crews with pepper spray and batons.. "

I`ve always fancied Tasers....

The cameras are a good idea but it wont stop the assaults only help to prosecute."

I think people forget that paramedics/medical staff are employees just like everyone else, and subject to the same Health and Safety laws. A paramedic isn't legally obliged to put themselves at any sort of risk for their job - this can include dealing with d*unk/dr*gged people, people who have been injured in a fight and are still "hyped" up, even getting into a wrecked car to help those inside if the car hasn't been "made safe" by the fire brigade. But they do these things because of the type of person they are who does this kind of job. For this, they deserve extra protection and bigger sentences for those who assault them whilst they are putting themselves at risk to save lives.

By *tephTV67TV/TS  over a year ago

Cheshire

I think people forget that paramedics/medical staff are employees just like everyone else, and subject to the same Health and Safety laws. A paramedic isn't legally obliged to put themselves at any sort of risk for their job - this can include dealing with d*unk/dr*gged people, people who have been injured in a fight and are still "hyped" up, even getting into a wrecked car to help those inside if the car hasn't been "made safe" by the fire brigade. But they do these things because of the type of person they are who does this kind of job. For this, they deserve extra protection and bigger sentences for those who assault them whilst they are putting themselves at risk to save lives."

Well said

"I would issue ambulance crews with pepper spray and batons..

I`ve always fancied Tasers.... "

It’s called a defib

By *lanemikeMan  over a year ago

Bolton

"Exactly. I've always said the soft touch justice system in this country is an absolute joke. A radical overhaul is what's needed, but how long now have we been saying that ?"

What would you suggest ?? We already have 80000 + folk in jail, highest per capita level in Europe. Does not seem to be working. Put 160000 in jail, still have problem, ratchet it up to 320000. Don't forget who pays....

"Exactly. I've always said the soft touch justice system in this country is an absolute joke. A radical overhaul is what's needed, but how long now have we been saying that ?

What would you suggest ?? We already have 80000 + folk in jail, highest per capita level in Europe. Does not seem to be working. Put 160000 in jail, still have problem, ratchet it up to 320000. Don't forget who pays...."

if someone's in jail they cant attack you.. if they're not in jail they don't care if they attack you.

"I think this is a great idea. Nothing makes me more angry than reading stories about our emergency services being attacked, whether it be some drink /drug fuelled lout or someone who is just an aggressive twat with an attitude problem. Too many people get away with this sort of behaviour. If anyone is caught on camera assaulting any emergency first responders, then they should be named, shamed and dealt with by the full force of the law. That means zero tolerance, zero leniency, just jail them."

"Exactly. I've always said the soft touch justice system in this country is an absolute joke. A radical overhaul is what's needed, but how long now have we been saying that ?

What would you suggest ?? We already have 80000 + folk in jail, highest per capita level in Europe. Does not seem to be working. Put 160000 in jail, still have problem, ratchet it up to 320000. Don't forget who pays...."

They can come and live at your house..

Bolton

Just trying to make the point that sending more and more people to jail is not working....

My house has nothing to do with the problem or its solution.....

"Just trying to make the point that sending more and more people to jail is not working....

My house has nothing to do with the problem or its solution....."

so your answer is keep everybody out of prison... but not in my backyard.

Bolton

Not what I said...... Just saying that for many prison is not the answer. Quite a of those who come out are simply more proficient criminals.

"Not what I said...... Just saying that for many prison is not the answer. Quite a of those who come out are simply more proficient criminals. "
in Russia, China,Turkey etc they don't tend to come out.. that's a deterrent.

Bolton

I am pretty certain neither you nor I would choose to live in those societies.

By *ara JTV/TS  over a year ago

Bristol East

"Not what I said...... Just saying that for many prison is not the answer. Quite a of those who come out are simply more proficient criminals. in Russia, China,Turkey etc they don't tend to come out.. that's a deterrent."

How can it be, if there are people locked up? They demonstrably were not deterred by lengthy sentencing.

Chelmsford

My attacker went to prison. Did it deter him? No!

But I felt a lot safer..

Lock all the bastards up. I will pay more even if it's 200,000 in jail..

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Eastbourne

It is about time, the emergency services are soft targets.

The only issue is they don't the violence, they just record what is happening.

Once child stopped breathing and the emergency paramedic arrived within minutes. Cos they were parked in the middle or the road as they do in an emergency. Within 5mins of their arrival we had cars honking their horns and a few people knock on our door to ask if the paramedics could move their vehicle. I couldn't believe my eyes.. after speaking to the paramedics they were like this happens all the time and they are threatened routinely.

Sad times

By *htcMan  over a year ago

MK

This is why all people who use the NHS should be fingerprinted. Before anything the person has a fingprint taken so they know who they are. Will find out the abusers straight away. Any abuser has one warning before they are banned from the free NHS for life. And if after that they are called to someone banned they must take a credit card payment. No payment leave them regardless of life or death.

Chelmsford

Two strikes then out

Bolton

"This is why all people who use the NHS should be fingerprinted. Before anything the person has a fingprint taken so they know who they are. Will find out the abusers straight away. Any abuser has one warning before they are banned from the free NHS for life. And if after that they are called to someone banned they must take a credit card payment. No payment leave them regardless of life or death."

To quote that well known American tennis player of the 1980s "You CAN'T be serious !!!""""

What you are proposing may be accepted by the population of the People's Republic of China (do they have any choice ??) or even the United States of America but I cannot see working in most West European democracies...

Should point out also, not every one has a credit card. I can see some practical problems with the scheme you are proposing.

» Add a new message to this topic