FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Elf or Dwarf?

Elf or Dwarf?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Those on this site who know me, will know that I'm a major nerd. Primarily I have an obsession with Lord of the Rings.

It is for that reason I ask whether you would be an elf or a dwarf in a fantasy world, and why?

I myself would be an elf considering I prefer to increase my knowledge and have been called elegant within my movement on numerous occasions.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *0something1965Man  over a year ago

Belfast

"Those on this site who know me, will know that I'm a major nerd. Primarily I have an obsession with Lord of the Rings.

It is for that reason I ask whether you would be an elf or a dwarf in a fantasy world, and why?

I myself would be an elf considering I prefer to increase my knowledge and have been called elegant within my movement on numerous occasions.

"

Dwarf - no question. Good with my hands, money obsessed, big beard and a shiny helmet

By *aitonelMan  over a year ago

Liverpool

"Those on this site who know me, will know that I'm a major nerd. Primarily I have an obsession with Lord of the Rings.

"

Me too! However what version are we talking? Different forms of fantasy have different versions of dwarf and elf.

Dwarf - no question. Good with my hands, money obsessed, big beard and a shiny helmet "

Haha!!! You have brilliant reasoning

Belfast

"

Ypu do have a look of Galadriel about you

Me too! However what version are we talking? Different forms of fantasy have different versions of dwarf and elf. "

I'm basing it on the OG of fantasy lore, and going off of Tolkiens versions

By *ex HolesMan  over a year ago

Up North

"

I’ll be which ever one you’d like to shag

Ypu do have a look of Galadriel about you "

I was thinking more Tauriel considering the colour of my hair

By *rumpyMcFuckNuggetMan  over a year ago

Den of Iniquity

"

What do you call a Vegetarian Dwarf??

Elfy

Elfy "

That's amazing

Liverpool

Me too! However what version are we talking? Different forms of fantasy have different versions of dwarf and elf.

I'm basing it on the OG of fantasy lore, and going off of Tolkiens versions "

Probably elf, dwarves are too loud and brash. I tend to think things through much more. The additional senses and agile nature are a bonus too.

Belfast

I was thinking more Tauriel considering the colour of my hair "

Oooo - you have a point there!

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Dwarf, mainly because i practically am one!

Jokes aside I appreciate that stout resolute nature, I'm a working class guy and that's the way dwarves come across to me. Hard working no nonsense folk.

Also they make the best weapons and armour, you can keep your elven mithril. I'd rather have have something smithed by the hands of Moradin himself.

Truth me told I'm a massive geek and love both but you made my pick one so I've chosen my side.

By *hunky GentMan  over a year ago

near Chesterfield

Dwaef. Purely because of my stature and creativity.

Imin and Tata love story ? First elf’s to awake during the age of the tree or the first age as hobbits call it haha, but yeah I pick elf’s for many of reason hah. I’m abit of lotr nerd myself. Nasril ftw hah

By *sagent81Man  over a year ago

leeds

There needs to be a goblin option.

Belfast

Oooo - you have a point there! "

Actually, though - i was basing my opinion on your fourth (i think) pic - the one where your hands are covering your breasts - your hair colour is more silver in that one

Actually, im a sucker for redheads and im afraid for tauriel id be on the next plane!

By *rumpyMcFuckNuggetMan  over a year ago

Den of Iniquity

Elfy

That's amazing "

I wouldnt go that far

Probably elf, dwarves are too loud and brash. I tend to think things through much more. The additional senses and agile nature are a bonus too. "

Woohoo! A fellow elf! Welcome to Lothlorien!

Probably elf, dwarves are too loud and brash. I tend to think things through much more. The additional senses and agile nature are a bonus too.

Woohoo! A fellow elf! Welcome to Lothlorien!"

Valinor please

"Dwarf, mainly because i practically am one!

Jokes aside I appreciate that stout resolute nature, I'm a working class guy and that's the way dwarves come across to me. Hard working no nonsense folk.

Also they make the best weapons and armour, you can keep your elven mithril. I'd rather have have something smithed by the hands of Moradin himself.

Truth me told I'm a massive geek and love both but you made my pick one so I've chosen my side.

"

Come on, even Thorin didn't say no to an elvish blade

Belfast

Woohoo! A fellow elf! Welcome to Lothlorien!"

Yeah - you can all bugger off! Moria is Mine (see what i did there?)

"Dwarf, mainly because i practically am one!

Come on, even Thorin didn't say no to an elvish blade"

With some encouragement from Gandalf

"Imin and Tata love story ? First elf’s to awake during the age of the tree or the first age as hobbits call it haha, but yeah I pick elf’s for many of reason hah. I’m abit of lotr nerd myself. Nasril ftw hah "

Do you think it would be possible for an elf to tame Ancalagon?

Morgoths pet can’t be tamed

Oooo - you have a point there!

Actually, though - i was basing my opinion on your fourth (i think) pic - the one where your hands are covering your breasts - your hair colour is more silver in that one

Actually, im a sucker for redheads and im afraid for tauriel id be on the next plane!"

Yeah I used to have platinum hair, but decided to grow out my natural auburn locks

"Morgoths pet can’t be tamed "

Or do you think nobody ever tried hard enough?

I would love to ride the biggest dragon in fantasy haha!

"Morgoths pet can’t be tamed

I would love to ride the biggest dragon in fantasy haha!"

Tom bombadil can haha

Elf please. Forest over mountains for me... all day long.

Are elves tall? I'm gonna haemorrhage some height here I guess...

By *rimtonMan  over a year ago

Bromley

I’m not sure reading books aimed at children really equates with being a nerd.

Nor does sticking on a pair of glasses.

A real nerd is an expert at something..

Tom bombadil can haha"

Oh Tom! The best character in all of Middle Earth, that only true fans remember

"Elf please. Forest over mountains for me... all day long.

Are elves tall? I'm gonna haemorrhage some height here I guess..."

Don't worry, I'm not that tall and I would still be an elf

Definitely an elf! They have too many decent qualities that outrank being a dwarf.

They are magical and mystical and can use a range of different magica! I’m defo an elf

Don't worry, I'm not that tall and I would still be an elf "

Yep I'm in. Do I get a bow and arrow? Now?

Tom bombadil can haha

Oh Tom! The best character in all of Middle Earth, that only true fans remember "

Is Tom Bombadil not in the films? This is my childhood speaking. I'd forgotten that name...

"I’m not sure reading books aimed at children really equates with being a nerd.

A real nerd is an expert at something.."

LOTR is not aimed at children, and nor are the Unfinished Tales. The Hobbit was aimed at children, but Tolkien tapped into his wild imagination and a thirst for establishing a folkstale in England considering we had very few. This led to an elaborate story filled with history, love war, torment and chaos.

Very few of Tolkiens works were ever intended for children

By *VineMan  over a year ago

The right place

I’d definitely choose to be an Elf. I find elfin features very attractive.

"Definitely an elf! They have too many decent qualities that outrank being a dwarf.

They are magical and mystical and can use a range of different magica! I’m defo an elf"

You're forgetting how cunning dwarves are. How loyal they are to their kin. Dwarves have potentially the most powerful allegiances in Middle Earth

Don't worry, I'm not that tall and I would still be an elf

Yep I'm in. Do I get a bow and arrow? Now? "

You can be an archer if you wish...I myself prefer close combat

Tom bombadil can haha

Is Tom Bombadil not in the films? This is my childhood speaking. I'd forgotten that name..."

No, he was completely overlooked which sucks because he was such a great character in the books!

Liverpool

LOTR is not aimed at children, and nor are the Unfinished Tales. The Hobbit was aimed at children, but Tolkien tapped into his wild imagination and a thirst for establishing a folkstale in England considering we had very few. This led to an elaborate story filled with history, love war, torment and chaos.

Very few of Tolkiens works were ever intended for children"

This! Also nerds never really called ourselves nerds, it was used as an insult. We took it and embraced it.

Very few of Tolkiens works were ever intended for children

This! Also nerds never really called ourselves nerds, it was used as an insult. We took it and embraced it. "

Right? It's our word now, and we have defined it in the most brilliant way!

You only need to see the rise in comic book based entertainment to understand that we are taking over the world

Tom bombadil can haha

Is Tom Bombadil not in the films? This is my childhood speaking. I'd forgotten that name...

No, he was completely overlooked which sucks because he was such a great character in the books!"

Correct not in the films, books and Tolkien’s lore hahha, nice too know there is other enthusiasts haha. Lotr social anyone ? Hahaha

Liverpool

Tom bombadil can haha

No, he was completely overlooked which sucks because he was such a great character in the books!"

He really wouldn't have translated to film very well. In terms of the movies it would have just been filler. That's what a lot of people who hate on adaptions is you need less world building, because the world is visual - that it's not excuse for a poor plot in regards to critical story elements.

By *ntrigued32Couple  over a year ago

Nottingham

"

An Elf definitely preferably a night elf or dark elf

D.

Belfast

Tom bombadil can haha

He was fantastic! I really fancied his wife though! Lol - she was an awesome cook too as i remember! Thelats the way to a dwarf's heart

Tom bombadil can haha

No, he was completely overlooked which sucks because he was such a great character in the books!

Correct not in the films, books and Tolkien’s lore hahha, nice too know there is other enthusiasts haha. Lotr social anyone ? Hahaha"

Great idea. Maybe in that old pub in Oxford where Tolkien and C.S Lewis used to drink together...

The Eagle and Child?

Tom bombadil can haha

He really wouldn't have translated to film very well. In terms of the movies it would have just been filler. That's what a lot of people who hate on adaptions is you need less world building, because the world is visual - that it's not excuse for a poor plot in regards to critical story elements. "

I think he would have translated if Jackson had done The Hobbit first. It would have given that underlying feel of The Hobbit in the beginning, but the viewer would see that the story matures over the course of the LOTR movies. That's why he was created in the first place...it was to create a natural transition between The Hobbit and LOTR

Liverpool

D."

Original night elves were amazing!

Ah shit, this thread is bringing out too much of my nerd side, I could go on for hours about fantasy lore.

D."

Oooh you want to go all Mordor on the world?

Tom bombadil can haha

He was fantastic! I really fancied his wife though! Lol - she was an awesome cook too as i remember! Thelats the way to a dwarf's heart "

His wife was so incredibly gentle, it borderlines unbelievable!

Tom bombadil can haha

Oh Tom! The best character in all of Middle Earth, that only true fans remember "

I don't get the obsession with Tom? Maybe I missed the point. Is it basically because he gets no mention in the film's despite having a pretty big moment in the books that fans so hung up on him for? Personally my favourite is Beorn.

Liverpool

Tom bombadil can haha

He really wouldn't have translated to film very well. In terms of the movies it would have just been filler. That's what a lot of people who hate on adaptions is you need less world building, because the world is visual - that it's not excuse for a poor plot in regards to critical story elements.

I think he would have translated if Jackson had done The Hobbit first. It would have given that underlying feel of The Hobbit in the beginning, but the viewer would see that the story matures over the course of the LOTR movies. That's why he was created in the first place...it was to create a natural transition between The Hobbit and LOTR"

True!

BUT

I don't think the hobbit (as 1 or 3 films) would have done as well as LOTR did. They made the Hobbit because of the success of LOTR. The reverse would have been a failure I feel.

Tom bombadil can haha

I don't get the obsession with Tom? Maybe I missed the point. Is it basically because he gets no mention in the film's despite having a pretty big moment in the books that fans so hung up on him for? Personally my favourite is Beorn."

For me it's because he is a reminder that in a world that is fighting to stay alive, there is light. Tom Bombadil showed the hobbits kindness and understanding when most were simply too serious and focused too much on the importance of destroying the ring.

Belfast

Tom bombadil can haha

He was fantastic! I really fancied his wife though! Lol - she was an awesome cook too as i remember! Thelats the way to a dwarf's heart

His wife was so incredibly gentle, it borderlines unbelievable!"

She was described as a river daughter but i always tbought there was more to tom and hef - theyre not affected by the ring or the outside struggles and only cared for nature or the forest - maybe they were akin to mother (and father) nature

Well this has made my day ! Thanks op for the thread. I’m not gonna binge all the films starting tonight

Liverpool

"Well this has made my day ! Thanks op for the thread. I’m not gonna binge all the films starting tonight "

Extended editions I hope!

Tom bombadil can haha

I think he would have translated if Jackson had done The Hobbit first. It would have given that underlying feel of The Hobbit in the beginning, but the viewer would see that the story matures over the course of the LOTR movies. That's why he was created in the first place...it was to create a natural transition between The Hobbit and LOTR

True!

BUT

I don't think the hobbit (as 1 or 3 films) would have done as well as LOTR did. They made the Hobbit because of the success of LOTR. The reverse would have been a failure I feel. "

It's all in the marketing. You establish your basic target audience - in the case of The Hobbit it would have been children - and advertise the wonders of this new world to them. Then you wait a few years to do LOTR so that the films grow with the audience. You literally emulate what Tolkien did. You let the audience mature enough for the next part of the story

"Well this has made my day ! Thanks op for the thread. I’m not gonna binge all the films starting tonight

Extended editions I hope! "

Is their any other way ?

There lol

Tom bombadil can haha

She was described as a river daughter but i always tbought there was more to tom and hef - theyre not affected by the ring or the outside struggles and only cared for nature or the forest - maybe they were akin to mother (and father) nature"

They have a beautiful relationship with the world, that's for sure

I was once beaten up by a dwarf (in Ayrshire, not Mordor - although it’s hard to tell the difference at times).

Belfast

Tom bombadil can haha

She was described as a river daughter but i always tbought there was more to tom and hef - theyre not affected by the ring or the outside struggles and only cared for nature or the forest - maybe they were akin to mother (and father) nature

They have a beautiful relationship with the world, that's for sure"

Im going to go off-topic here and say out loud "Ian McKellen (Sir), should have played Dumbledore!"

Theres still time! The Harry potter films dont do the books justice (whereas the LOTR and Hobbit films do a FAR superior job). Ian mckellen in a new series of films (preferably directed by peter jackson) would be great!

"

She was described as a river daughter but i always tbought there was more to tom and hef - theyre not affected by the ring or the outside struggles and only cared for nature or the forest - maybe they were akin to mother (and father) nature"

That's very much the impression I got or a living manifestation of nature.

This thread is making me want to dust off the old tomes.

Elf... mainly because I'm more like a dwarf and we always admire what we don't have... I'm a total klutz

Belfast

"Elf... mainly because I'm more like a dwarf and we always admire what we don't have... I'm a total klutz "

I dunno - im a bit of a klutz and i dint really mind - although youre right admiting what we dont or cant have - for instance, now i see your profile pic, i really want you desperately!

Belfast

"Elf... mainly because I'm more like a dwarf and we always admire what we don't have... I'm a total klutz

I dunno - im a bit of a klutz and i dint really mind - although youre right admiting what we dont or cant have - for instance, now i see your profile pic, i really want you desperately!"

Admiting = admiring - told you, im a klutz too!

Nottingham

D.

Original night elves were amazing!

Ah shit, this thread is bringing out too much of my nerd side, I could go on for hours about fantasy lore. "

it’s ok, get your nerd side out! Just drop a couple to show your cool with it too

D.

Nottingham

D.

Oooh you want to go all Mordor on the world?"

erm, ye, something like that

D.

Hi Ella, long time no see.

I'd like to think of myself as an Elf, carrying myself with class yet tough as nails with a sensitive sweet side... however.... I'm more of a dwarf, jumping in feet first and going off on a stresser stomping full of rage and impulse.

P

By *imon_hydeMan  over a year ago

Bredbury, Stockport

Oh dwarf, they seem northern and gruff. Have beards and drink ale. Elves are southern namby pambys who go the hairdresser's way too often.

I am no Dwarf but I have too many human flaws to be an Elf. A Ranger of Dunedain maybe..?

"Elf... mainly because I'm more like a dwarf and we always admire what we don't have... I'm a total klutz

I dunno - im a bit of a klutz and i dint really mind - although youre right admiting what we dont or cant have - for instance, now i see your profile pic, i really want you desperately!

Admiting = admiring - told you, im a klutz too!"

You may be a klutz but kissed the blarney stone as you fell my dear, thanks

I would probably be a half breed. The result of a d*unken night of passion or a terrible accident. I have the physique and thirst of a dwarf but can be quite diplomatic. I love to pee outside (Dwarf) but really appreciate the natural world and nature (Elf). I can dig holes when I need to (Dwarf) but would rather someone else did (Elf) really I'm a hybrid.

Im not smart enough to be an elf and im very stubborn and loyal so id say barbarian dwarf is most like me

Belfast

[Removed by poster at 30/10/19 13:16:53]

Belfast

Admiting = admiring - told you, im a klutz too!

You may be a klutz but kissed the blarney stone as you fell my dear, thanks "

Ahh bejaysus- you saw straight through me!

» Add a new message to this topic