FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > The surveillance system is here.

The surveillance system is here.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

What is acceptable speech

What is acceptable thought

What you think about the weather

How you discipline your children

What you and your children think about gender/sex

Smart TVs

Smart phones

Facial recognition

CCTv

Number plate recognition

Your location at any given time

Algorithms to influence your habits

Algorithms to push or hinder agendas

Unavoidable online activities such as email

Group think

Creating informers

Trolling as mind control

Privacy whittled away

Smart generation items that can be used to watch or listen to you within your home and without your knowledge

Reads like a futuristic sci-fi movie doesn't it.

Well, you are now a movie star.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"What is acceptable speech

Smart TVs

Smart phones

Facial recognition

CCTv

Number plate recognition

Group think

Creating informers

Trolling as mind control

Privacy whittled away

Smart generation items that can be used to watch or listen to you within your home and without your knowledge

Well, you are now a movie star."

Totally agree with all this. We are rapidly heading to a dystopia future.

Though this belongs in the politics forum.

By *hechapMan  over a year ago

Derry

Smart TVs

Smart phones

Facial recognition

CCTv

Number plate recognition

Group think

Creating informers

Trolling as mind control

Privacy whittled away

Once 5g is rolled out it will be 24/7 survellance and control.

By *ea monkeyMan  over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

I'm OK, I've got plenty of tinfoil to protect my thoughts from the brain rays.

I think that the reality lies some way behind the paranoid cynical conspiracy theories that will undoubtedly be rolled out. However we are all capable of being responsible for our own privacy and should all be savvy regarding what information we are sharing.

"I'm OK, I've got plenty of tinfoil to protect my thoughts from the brain rays.

I think that the reality lies some way behind the paranoid cynical conspiracy theories that will undoubtedly be rolled out. However we are all capable of being responsible for our own privacy and should all be savvy regarding what information we are sharing. "

Just a little reminder for the people to maintain as much freedom as possible.

I think that the reality lies some way behind the paranoid cynical conspiracy theories that will undoubtedly be rolled out. However we are all capable of being responsible for our own privacy and should all be savvy regarding what information we are sharing. "

Totally agree, which is why I'm not on social media

I think that the reality lies some way behind the paranoid cynical conspiracy theories that will undoubtedly be rolled out. However we are all capable of being responsible for our own privacy and should all be savvy regarding what information we are sharing.

Totally agree, which is why I'm not on social media"

Is this not a form of social media?

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

I'm gonna buy me a carrier pigeon

[Removed by poster at 26/11/19 10:00:05]

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

Lots of people like our lives to be controlled and monitored. There's a thread going at the moment putting forward the notion that our sexual behaviour should be controlled by refusing free at the point of delivery medication if you've practiced bare back penetration.

By *innie The MinxWoman  over a year ago

Under the Duvet

Anyone with an Alexa etc has paid for and welcomed surveillance into their own homes.

They're always listening...

By *lem-H-FandangoMan  over a year ago

salisbury

Totally agree, which is why I'm not on social media"

This is social media...

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Anyone with an Alexa etc has paid for and welcomed surveillance into their own homes.

They're always listening... "

They are indeed. Otherwise how do they know you're asking them a question?

By *ssex_tomMan  over a year ago

Chelmsford

The OP is spot on although if anyone wants to look at my emails, medical records or location then I honestly don't care a monkeys.

By *uxinteriorMan  over a year ago

south west , continental

Yes I agree OP there are a lot of areas where we unwittingly give away information. Ask Alexa.

Trouble is when you want those surveillance cameras to work they have an uncanny knack of malfunctioning.

Jeffrey Epstein didn't kill himself....

There are many good things about ease of communication but what are we giving away to have it?

By *crumdiddlyumptiousMan  over a year ago

"Anyone with an Alexa etc has paid for and welcomed surveillance into their own homes.

They're always listening... "

Not sure if I read it here or somewhere else,

My wife asked me why I was speaking so softly at home.

I told her I was afraid Jeff Bezos was listening!

She laughed. I laughed.

Alexa laughed. Siri laughed.

It's a simple choice that many are happy with! You can't complain if you've elected "in"

"Lots of people like our lives to be controlled and monitored. There's a thread going at the moment putting forward the notion that our sexual behaviour should be controlled by refusing free at the point of delivery medication if you've practiced bare back penetration."
Loads of people like our lives to be controlled and monitored...that is so well put,

it may not always be for nefarious purposes but true nonetheless. It is good to be aware of the fact that it is to some organisations profit to have it that way and to push back in different ways if it becomes too intrusive.

"It's a simple choice that many are happy with! You can't complain if you've elected "in" "
There are many things on the list I have put above wherein most of us where given no choice about.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Lots of people like our lives to be controlled and monitored. There's a thread going at the moment putting forward the notion that our sexual behaviour should be controlled by refusing free at the point of delivery medication if you've practiced bare back penetration.Loads of people like our lives to be controlled and monitored...that is so well put,

it may not always be for nefarious purposes but true nonetheless. It is good to be aware of the fact that it is to some organisations profit to have it that way and to push back in different ways if it becomes too intrusive.

"

A lot of people comfort themselves by thinking "I'm not doing anything wrong so it doesn't matter". You may be happy to abide by the rules someone else has set without questioning them too closely now but what about when they change those rules?

"Lots of people like our lives to be controlled and monitored. There's a thread going at the moment putting forward the notion that our sexual behaviour should be controlled by refusing free at the point of delivery medication if you've practiced bare back penetration.Loads of people like our lives to be controlled and monitored...that is so well put,

A lot of people comfort themselves by thinking "I'm not doing anything wrong so it doesn't matter". You may be happy to abide by the rules someone else has set without questioning them too closely now but what about when they change those rules? "

Great comment!

"It's a simple choice that many are happy with! You can't complain if you've elected "in" There are many things on the list I have put above wherein most of us where given no choice about."

Actually disagree tbh we choose are you implying that our choice has already been taken away?

Smart TVs

Smart phones

Facial recognition

CCTv

Number plate recognition

Group think

Creating informers

Trolling as mind control

Privacy whittled away

None of this is new, governments, corporations and religion especially trying to control us . Terrorism there are different types, governments like terrorism because they can use fear against us, how implement policy on the back of it that will eat away our civil liberties and we welcome it. All the successful power bases use it for their benefits. 5/11 allowed America to implement policies which would never normally see the light of day. We are all controlled one way or another I love Amazon prime,

By *isaAndNicoleTransTV/TS  over a year ago

Southport / Ellesmere Port

Our phones, smart TVs, Alexa devices etc listen to everything we say

"It's a simple choice that many are happy with! You can't complain if you've elected "in" There are many things on the list I have put above wherein most of us where given no choice about.

Actually disagree tbh we choose are you implying that our choice has already been taken away? "

Facial recognition in cameras for example was not considered a question to be discussed with the population!

Working in marketing for huge organisation as I do with 30,000 employees, and millions of clients, it's very scary just how much information you can gain on someone who thinks they've innocently clicked on one of your products on a "free" website - I get their name, email, phone, company, job title, their bosses info and wl their colleagues, other products they've clicked on, even from competitors and all because they haven't realised they've signed up to this by using such a website. But then again, everyone else has this info so there's not alot you can do with it except contact the person and try to sell them some shit, which hopefully they are already interested in because they've been looking at it online, so maybe you're doing them a favour and technology is bridging a gap....?

.....don't stress OP, I don't think the terminators are coming for us just yet buddy....

"It's a simple choice that many are happy with! You can't complain if you've elected "in" There are many things on the list I have put above wherein most of us where given no choice about.

Actually disagree tbh we choose are you implying that our choice has already been taken away? Facial recognition in cameras for example was not considered a question to be discussed with the population! "

I should add a question mark beside the apostrophe if that's allowed. Otherwise it reads like I'm angry.

Don't forget telematics in your work vehicle so your employer can monitor you drivingvhahits, where you are, where you have been, and for how long etc.....

"Working in marketing for huge organisation as I do with 30,000 employees, and millions of clients, it's very scary just how much information you can gain on someone who thinks they've innocently clicked on one of your products on a "free" website - I get their name, email, phone, company, job title, their bosses info and wl their colleagues, other products they've clicked on, even from competitors and all because they haven't realised they've signed up to this by using such a website. But then again, everyone else has this info so there's not alot you can do with it except contact the person and try to sell them some shit, which hopefully they are already interested in because they've been looking at it online, so maybe you're doing them a favour and technology is bridging a gap....?

.....don't stress OP, I don't think the terminators are coming for us just yet buddy.... "

Thanks for your comment, it's interesting to learn about.

By *ittleAcornMan  over a year ago

Actually disagree tbh we choose are you implying that our choice has already been taken away? Facial recognition in cameras for example was not considered a question to be discussed with the population! "

But you don't have to own that phone, or enable that functionality.

erm ??????? its been here for years ???

"Don't forget telematics in your work vehicle so your employer can monitor you drivingvhahits, where you are, where you have been, and for how long etc..... "
That's horrible to work under.

"Don't forget telematics in your work vehicle so your employer can monitor you drivingvhahits, where you are, where you have been, and for how long etc.....

"

Not that different to having to "clock in/out" in other workplaces.

One could argue the safety elements of this.

Actually disagree tbh we choose are you implying that our choice has already been taken away? Facial recognition in cameras for example was not considered a question to be discussed with the population!

But you don't have to own that phone, or enable that functionality. "

I'm talking about cameras that view the general public. My phone has no obviously stated facial recognition on it, but it does record the date and time of each photograph I take. Irrelevant for me but relevant to others who may take photography more seriously.

Something for you all to try.

Just speak into your phone (if you also have the Facebook app on it) and say something like "I really need to buy....today" - name any random product.

I did it with dog food and within a day I was getting dog food ads served to me on Facebook. I don't even own a dog. It's scary.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Even in the courts of the Tudor monarchs and long before people were employed by various agencies and individuals to listen in to and monitor courtiers conversations. Their actions and communication with each other was very much controlled by this knowledge.

Researching the origins of the word eavesdropping is interesting.

"Don't forget telematics in your work vehicle so your employer can monitor you drivingvhahits, where you are, where you have been, and for how long etc.....

One could argue the safety elements of this. "

Clock in/out is a whole different animal to what was said!

salisbury

"Something for you all to try.

Just speak into your phone (if you also have the Facebook app on it) and say something like "I really need to buy....today" - name any random product.

I did it with dog food and within a day I was getting dog food ads served to me on Facebook. I don't even own a dog. It's scary. "

So true, watching home and away in the crew room at work last week, my mates iPhone 9 Facebook app suddenly asks him if he's interested in joining a home and away Facebook page..

"Even in the courts of the Tudor monarchs and long before people were employed by various agencies and individuals to listen in to and monitor courtiers conversations. Their actions and communication with each other was very much controlled by this knowledge.

Researching the origins of the word eavesdropping is interesting."

Will research, so knowledge can be power.

salisbury

Clock in/out is a whole different animal to what was said!"

Clocking in just lets your employer know you were there in the morning, not where you were the rest of the day..

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Clock in/out is a whole different animal to what was said!"

It is. You won't find yourself sitting in an office being asked why you accelerated quickly on the M25 at 12:50 last Tuesday and braked sharply twenty minutes later.

Actually disagree tbh we choose are you implying that our choice has already been taken away? "

In most cases yes. Freedom of choice is an illusion. Given the opportunity people will not. Or they go with the heard mentality. I'm not saying we don't have choices, but the one's that matter are already made for us.

It is. You won't find yourself sitting in an office being asked why you accelerated quickly on the M25 at 12:50 last Tuesday and braked sharply twenty minutes later. "

So your saying it can get that obnoxious! The person has broken no traffic laws but their acceleration/braking can be questioned? Those things happen. Is this level of surveillance partly used for the sake of helping maintain a fleet of vehicles?

I did it with dog food and within a day I was getting dog food ads served to me on Facebook. I don't even own a dog. It's scary.

So true, watching home and away in the crew room at work last week, my mates iPhone 9 Facebook app suddenly asks him if he's interested in joining a home and away Facebook page.. "

Similar thing happened to a friend of mine. She mentioned that she had fish fingers for her tea the previous night. Her phone was in her bag. That night she had ads on Facebook for fish fingers!

So don't have your photo taken lol

Actually disagree tbh we choose are you implying that our choice has already been taken away? Facial recognition in cameras for example was not considered a question to be discussed with the population!

But you don't have to own that phone, or enable that functionality. "

This ^^^

But you don't have to own that phone, or enable that functionality.

This ^^^ "

I was talking about the CCTV type camera not mobile phone facial recognition. Of course a person doesn't have to buy into that version. There is choice there, but not in the other unless it is part of your culture to cover your face.

All good points. I have a lot of experience in IT security and data.

As a result of that:

We don't run any social media accounts at all and use a private email server. Any online presence we do have (like here) is carefully not tied to our real life.

We don't allow alexa, siri or anything else to listen in and our phones are chosen carefully and locked down not to leak information.

It is important to be very very careful what data about yourself you share.

Google, Facebook, Microsoft and the rest don't offer you free email, free social media or free chat accounts because they are nice guys. Amazon, apple, Spotify, Netflix are all keen to profit from your data.

All these organisations offer disguised services to get your data and make money.

If you don't understand what the product is on an online service, then it's likely that you are the product.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

So don't have your photo taken lol "

Quite difficult to get a passport without it

Quite difficult to get a passport without it "

Facial recognition via CCTV has nothing to do with a passport. That is the issue of relevance.

"All good points. I have a lot of experience in IT security and data.

As a result of that:

We don't run any social media accounts at all and use a private email server. Any online presence we do have (like here) is carefully not tied to our real life.

We don't allow alexa, siri or anything else to listen in and our phones are chosen carefully and locked down not to leak information.

Google, Facebook, Microsoft and the rest don't offer you free email, free social media or free chat accounts because they are nice guys. Amazon, apple, Spotify, Netflix are all keen to profit from your data.

All these organisations offer disguised services to get your data and make money.

If you don't understand what the product is on an online service, then it's likely that you are the product.

"

Thanks for furthering knowledge.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Quite difficult to get a passport without it Facial recognition via CCTV has nothing to do with a passport. That is the issue of relevance."

Yet!

As a result of that:

"

What is your advice for a mobile phone user concerning these issues? Even on this site what particular steps would you advise to enhance privacy?

By *tingly ByronMan  over a year ago

In a town Fab forgot

I've changed my avatar specifically for this thread.

They ain't getting inside my head!!!!!!!

Forum Mod

East Sussex

They ain't getting inside my head!!!!!!!"

They're already in there. You're just stopping them getting out

I forgot to mention Satellite observation techno.

In a town Fab forgot

They're already in there. You're just stopping them getting out "

I've really not thought this through.......

They're already in there. You're just stopping them getting out "

Or maybe they want to swop your brain functionings for theirs!?

We are but pawns in the great game of life.

A simple question if we are always following algorithms where do they lead? It is good to sometimes ignore proffered algorithmic suggestions and retain a level of indepence.

In a town Fab forgot

"A simple question if we are always following algorithms where do they lead? It is good to sometimes ignore proffered algorithmic suggestions and retain a level of indepence."

Are you telling us what to do?

"A simple question if we are always following algorithms where do they lead? It is good to sometimes ignore proffered algorithmic suggestions and retain a level of indepence.

Are you telling us what to do? "

No. Stimulating thought.

"I'm gonna buy me a carrier pigeon "
It may be good to get into the practise of occasional older forms of communication such as letter writing.

They ain't getting inside my head!!!!!!!"

Omg you've so made me laugh!!! Brilliant!

"I'm gonna buy me a carrier pigeon It may be good to get into the practise of occasional older forms of communication such as letter writing."
Or maybe learn a little about spycraft such as letter drops a bit of back pocket insurance.

How many of us on here know how to catch fish?

Or find/collect fresh natural water to drink?

Food

Water

Clothing

Shelter

The four absolutes.

.. Snip...

What is your advice for a mobile phone user concerning these issues? Even on this site what particular steps would you advise to enhance privacy?"

It depends on how far you want to go and to some extent your technical ability. I'll mention a few things:

Its much safer to use a dumb phone like an old flip phone to make your calls and carry a laptop which you can power off fully - not a tablet - to use the web than it is to use a smartphone.

This is because smartphones are all made to be able to report your exact GPS position, secretly, even when they are powered off, to the authorities if a signal is received. Ever notice you can't remove the battery from modern phones? This is one of the reasons why.

When sharing photos you need make sure you strip the metadata. Every photo taken on a smartphone is tagged with the GPS coords of where it was taken. Usually, sites strip this for safety. I checked for fab. It does. But sometimes it doesn't. And then a person can ID exactly where your photo was taken.

You shouldn't buy into all the Google services and turn off location history tracking and everything else if you really must use android.

Be aware that the terms of using Google mail or yahoo or any other email gives them the right to read and monitor your email and use the data.

Be aware that laws have been quietly brought in which require you to disclose the password to your laptop or smartphone to customs staff at borders and submit your phone to examination or be arrested. Not great if you have lots of naked pics of the wife on there.

Be aware that when you visit a website the following information is available to the owner: your ip address and rough location, your unique device id, the device you are using, what website you came from, screen size, operating system.

Likewise, your location is routinely tracked and stored by cellphone towers (roughly) or by GPS (if using a smartphone) and that info is available to the authorities. A number of criminals are always caught out by this. The solution is to use a dumb phone and take the battery out when you are not using it.

Facebook owns all your data and your photos. You revoke your copyright. That means that Facebook can use your data and pictures for whatever it likes.

Likewise messenger apps like WhatsApp or WeChat monitor your chats and if you signed up with a Google Id, allows them to provide information about whay you're talking about to Google or anyone else who wants to know. Ever noticed how those ads seem strangely relevant?

Solution is not to link things. Don't use Google email for your main email. Dont sign onto this and that using Google or Facebook. Keep everything separate.

Your utility providers will quote happily sell your data and email addresses. If you have some tech knowledge you can set up a domain. A few years ago I set up a domain bloggs.com (not a real name) and I had it set up so that anything@bloggs.com came to me.

I then had loads of different email addresses for each entity so for example the gas board would write to me at gas@bloggs.con the electric would write to me using electric@bloggs.com and so on. That way, if you suddenly start to get emails sent to gas@bloggs.con you know who is selling your data and you can give them a beating..

On this site I would personally ensure that I didn't use my real name, my real date of birth or my real location and definitely not say where I worked - and that my photos all had meta stripped and were watermarked AND did not appear on any social media anywhere, ever. And I would assume that any picture or video on here might find its way onto the Web or a porn site, or that any friend might wind up being a vengeful stalker - and so be bloody careful what I posted and shared.

As a case in point I was with some effort able to discover the real full name and address of a member here who I was checking up on for the wife.

Hope thats helpful.

Demolition man world here we come you have been fined 1 credit

Oh and here's anither one. Nevt time you print something on your printer, be aware that printers are made to write an invisible pattern of light coloured dots on the paper on everything they print out which identifies the make, model and serial number. Now. Look back back to when you bought it. The serial number is tied to your guarantee and address (if you stupidly gave the address to the shop assistant) and is logged in the inventory of the store. So anyone writing an anonymous letter. Well it's not so anonymous.

Likewise bank notes have a hidden pattern of circles on them and all scanners are programmed to barf when they see it. Don't believe me? Try and scan or color photocopy of banknote and see what happens. You will get a big warning message.

The world is full of this sort of stuff.

By *icknHMan  over a year ago

Ilfracombe

15 mins of fame is getting longer for everyone

"15 mins of fame is getting longer for everyone "

Was just answering the question and trying to be helpful. If that was directed at me, then that's frankly petty & churlish.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

The cost of giving away massive amounts of highly personal information is much too high.

Make your web searches private from the organisations that want to amass the data

"The cost of giving away massive amounts of highly personal information is much too high.

Make your web searches private from the organisations that want to amass the data

"

Playing devil's advocate here. If the data is not used to harm you, but to simply better design and target services/goods, why wouldn't you wish this to happen?

In a town Fab forgot

.. Snip...

What is your advice for a mobile phone user concerning these issues? Even on this site what particular steps would you advise to enhance privacy?

It depends on how far you want to go and to some extent your technical ability. I'll mention a few things:

Its much safer to use a dumb phone like an old flip phone to make your calls and carry a laptop which you can power off fully - not a tablet - to use the web than it is to use a smartphone.

This is because smartphones are all made to be able to report your exact GPS position, secretly, even when they are powered off, to the authorities if a signal is received. Ever notice you can't remove the battery from modern phones? This is one of the reasons why.

When sharing photos you need make sure you strip the metadata. Every photo taken on a smartphone is tagged with the GPS coords of where it was taken. Usually, sites strip this for safety. I checked for fab. It does. But sometimes it doesn't. And then a person can ID exactly where your photo was taken.

You shouldn't buy into all the Google services and turn off location history tracking and everything else if you really must use android.

Be aware that the terms of using Google mail or yahoo or any other email gives them the right to read and monitor your email and use the data.

Be aware that laws have been quietly brought in which require you to disclose the password to your laptop or smartphone to customs staff at borders and submit your phone to examination or be arrested. Not great if you have lots of naked pics of the wife on there.

Be aware that when you visit a website the following information is available to the owner: your ip address and rough location, your unique device id, the device you are using, what website you came from, screen size, operating system.

Likewise, your location is routinely tracked and stored by cellphone towers (roughly) or by GPS (if using a smartphone) and that info is available to the authorities. A number of criminals are always caught out by this. The solution is to use a dumb phone and take the battery out when you are not using it.

Facebook owns all your data and your photos. You revoke your copyright. That means that Facebook can use your data and pictures for whatever it likes.

Likewise messenger apps like WhatsApp or WeChat monitor your chats and if you signed up with a Google Id, allows them to provide information about whay you're talking about to Google or anyone else who wants to know. Ever noticed how those ads seem strangely relevant?

Solution is not to link things. Don't use Google email for your main email. Dont sign onto this and that using Google or Facebook. Keep everything separate.

Your utility providers will quote happily sell your data and email addresses. If you have some tech knowledge you can set up a domain. A few years ago I set up a domain bloggs.com (not a real name) and I had it set up so that anything@bloggs.com came to me.

I then had loads of different email addresses for each entity so for example the gas board would write to me at gas@bloggs.con the electric would write to me using electric@bloggs.com and so on. That way, if you suddenly start to get emails sent to gas@bloggs.con you know who is selling your data and you can give them a beating..

On this site I would personally ensure that I didn't use my real name, my real date of birth or my real location and definitely not say where I worked - and that my photos all had meta stripped and were watermarked AND did not appear on any social media anywhere, ever. And I would assume that any picture or video on here might find its way onto the Web or a porn site, or that any friend might wind up being a vengeful stalker - and so be bloody careful what I posted and shared.

As a case in point I was with some effort able to discover the real full name and address of a member here who I was checking up on for the wife.

Hope thats helpful.

"

I've got 2 very modern mobile phones and have another supplied by my employer.

It's a piece of piss to get the back off and access the battery for all of them.

By *he Queen of TartsWoman  over a year ago
Forum Mod

My Own Little World

I did it with dog food and within a day I was getting dog food ads served to me on Facebook. I don't even own a dog. It's scary. "

When you download an app have you ever read the permissions you grant it before the download will start?

Most of them ask permission to view your contacts, use your mic on your phone, use your pics or camera, post under your name just to name a few. It doesn't mean that the app WILL do this, just that you are allowing it to.

But we all click accept just because we want that free app.

When you download an app have you ever read the permissions you grant it before the download will start?

Most of them ask permission to view your contacts, use your mic on your phone, use your pics or camera, post under your name just to name a few. It doesn't mean that the app WILL do this, just that you are allowing it to.

But we all click accept just because we want that free app."

Absolutely true. But doesn't mean it's right. Choice is to not have a Facebook account and isolate yourself from all your friends or accept those terms because there is no option to opt out of most of them. If its just for targeted ads then it doesn't bother me really.

By *he Queen of TartsWoman  over a year ago
Forum Mod

My Own Little World

But we all click accept just because we want that free app.

Absolutely true. But doesn't mean it's right. Choice is to not have a Facebook account and isolate yourself from all your friends or accept those terms because there is no option to opt out of most of them. If its just for targeted ads then it doesn't bother me really. "

I have Facebook, but I refuse to have the app, I found it was a battery killer and used quite a bit of background data from my monthly allowance, so it went.

"

I've got 2 very modern mobile phones and have another supplied by my employer.

It's a piece of piss to get the back off and access the battery for all of them."

Yes. But you must put them back to charge. You don't get standard flat batteries and chargers even though it would make a great deal of sense.

And their removal is made to be inconvenient. And the number of phones with removable batteries is not high.

There are commercial reasons for all this. However it also happens to suit governments to have always on phone tracking for so called counter terrorism.

For some background on phone tracking whilst turned off plenty of articles online.

For example:

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20130723/12395923907/even-powering-down-cell-phone-cant-keep-nsa-tracking-its-location.shtml

.. Snip...

Hope thats helpful.

"

A real eye opener! Thanks.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

"The cost of giving away massive amounts of highly personal information is much too high.

Playing devil's advocate here. If the data is not used to harm you, but to simply better design and target services/goods, why wouldn't you wish this to happen?

"

There aren't any restrictions really about how data may be used in future, by unspecified acquirers on the data. I don't like my data being the commodity and am happy to invest the effort required to find products and services that I may want, without others buying access to me and my potential needs.

There are controls that are much too limited imo upon the organisations that stockpile and use data. If they were governments I'd find it equally inappropriate (though I'm relatively ignorant of what the UK state acquires). Obviously the private operators may also work in concert with state agencies.

I'm open to being the only person able to profit from and control my data in full. My assumption is that the financial returns would be insufficient to satisfy me.

There aren't any restrictions really about how data may be used in future, by unspecified acquirers on the data. I don't like my data being the commodity and am happy to invest the effort required to find products and services that I may want, without others buying access to me and my potential needs.

There are controls that are much too limited imo upon the organisations that stockpile and use data. If they were governments I'd find it equally inappropriate (though I'm relatively ignorant of what the UK state acquires). Obviously the private operators may also work in concert with state agencies.

I'm open to being the only person able to profit from and control my data in full. My assumption is that the financial returns would be insufficient to satisfy me. "

Exactly.

Once you let all this data be out there, you have no say how it can be used against you in the future and the data lasts for ever.

Forty years ago it was hard to find stuff out about a person.

Today with all this data available even a non government can find pictures of you, where you live, who you live with, who your friends are, what your interests are, what your opinions are (if you post them) , what you buy..

In the wrong hands that information is incredibly dangerous. Quite a lot of people have been fired for sayings things in social media, or have had their private life sent to all their friends.

I recall in the US some universities and employers demand access to your Facebook account to read it before they will offer the position.

The safest thing is to keep Your online identity separate totally from real life and fragment your data so that it can't all be collected and used against you. The future politicians in 30 years are going to have a very hard time because dirt from all their pasts - their d*unken teenage parties, their unwise tweets, will be dug up endlessly for the world to see.

In the grand scheme of things, it's not really affecting me unless I let it, or I'm doing something wrong.

I'm sure some isolated incident will be quoted as an example, but on the whole everyone just cracks on without being bothered in my experience.

I'm open to being the only person able to profit from and control my data in full. My assumption is that the financial returns would be insufficient to satisfy me. "

Interesting.

I'm open to being the only person able to profit from and control my data in full. My assumption is that the financial returns would be insufficient to satisfy me.

Exactly.

Once you let all this data be out there, you have no say how it can be used against you in the future and the data lasts for ever.

Forty years ago it was hard to find stuff out about a person.

Today with all this data available even a non government can find pictures of you, where you live, who you live with, who your friends are, what your interests are, what your opinions are (if you post them) , what you buy..

In the wrong hands that information is incredibly dangerous. Quite a lot of people have been fired for sayings things in social media, or have had their private life sent to all their friends.

I recall in the US some universities and employers demand access to your Facebook account to read it before they will offer the position.

The safest thing is to keep Your online identity separate totally from real life and fragment your data so that it can't all be collected and used against you. The future politicians in 30 years are going to have a very hard time because dirt from all their pasts - their d*unken teenage parties, their unwise tweets, will be dug up endlessly for the world to see. "

Powerful statements!!!

" In the grand scheme of things, it's not really affecting me unless I let it, or I'm doing something wrong.

"

Certain jobs already require security checks that involve your online presence. How would you like to be denied employment or fired because of something you wrote online while d*unk ten years ago?

Suppose this site is hacked and the email addresses are released onto the Web. A check reveals that you unwisely used the same email address as your Facebook with your real name.

You happen to be a primary school teacher or someone in the public eye...

It's not affecting you now. But it could in the future. Your logic is similar to the idea of not fixing a leak in the roof becajse it's not raining.

[Removed by poster at 26/11/19 18:10:05]

" In the grand scheme of things, it's not really affecting me unless I let it, or I'm doing something wrong.

Certain jobs already require security checks that involve your online presence. How would you like to be denied employment or fired because of something you wrote online while d*unk ten years ago?

Suppose this site is hacked and the email addresses are released onto the Web. A check reveals that you unwisely used the same email address as your Facebook with your real name.

It's not affecting you now. But it could in the future. Your logic is similar to the idea of not fixing a leak in the roof becajse it's not raining. "

You dont have to sign up. People complaining about things they signed up to? Duh!

It's not affecting you now. But it could in the future. Your logic is similar to the idea of not fixing a leak in the roof becajse it's not raining.

You dont have to sign up. People complaining about things they signed up to? Duh! "

I haven't personally signed up or complained. I just tried to share some info. You said it wasnt affecting you and I just gave you some examples of how it might.. So I feel like I'm not understanding you.

In a town Fab forgot

I'm glad I've got my hat on.....

It is. You won't find yourself sitting in an office being asked why you accelerated quickly on the M25 at 12:50 last Tuesday and braked sharply twenty minutes later. So your saying it can get that obnoxious! The person has broken no traffic laws but their acceleration/braking can be questioned? Those things happen. Is this level of surveillance partly used for the sake of helping maintain a fleet of vehicles?"

Yes, it is about fleet maintenance as well, but the surveillance potential is obvious. However my vehicle is my mobile office so it can quite justifiably be all over the place for indeterminate amounts of time. As for driving, short of a collision, if they ask me about some historic manouevre there's little chance I will remember it. If they are that bothered they can fit cameras too!

Smart TVs

Smart phones

Facial recognition

CCTv

Number plate recognition

Group think

Creating informers

Trolling as mind control

Privacy whittled away

watch the really old will smith movie ' Enemy of the State'

By *artyanna16TV/TS  over a year ago

seacroft

Without a phone or access to web , no news interviews job. Bank account , moving towards a cashless society means no access to funds of any sort or a means to pay for things!

I would advise everyone to read up on china's citizen score for an indication of what is to come.

For the person stating simply dont have your picture taken, you cannot leave your house without being monitored by cctv. Furthermore the police have admitted to illegally using facial recognition at shoppng centres such as the Trafford centre and places such as protests, events and even just a busy high street.

Im also surprised nobody has mentioned biometric passports. With these a 3d map of your facial features are stored in a chip on the passport specifically to be used by facial recognition equipment. Ergo the goverment have a record of, and ability to use it. You may think it is great that you dont have to queue at customs and its for our benefit however i refer you back to chinas citizen score and the polices illegal use of facial recognition equipment.

even my washing machine is connected to the internet.

In a town Fab forgot

"even my washing machine is connected to the internet.

"

Unplug it.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"

How else is it going to find the ultimate tumble dryer if it's not on washr?

"I would advise everyone to read up on china's citizen score for an indication of what is to come.

For the person stating simply dont have your picture taken, you cannot leave your house without being monitored by cctv. Furthermore the police have admitted to illegally using facial recognition at shoppng centres such as the Trafford centre and places such as protests, events and even just a busy high street.

Im also surprised nobody has mentioned biometric passports. With these a 3d map of your facial features are stored in a chip on the passport specifically to be used by facial recognition equipment. Ergo the goverment have a record of, and ability to use it. You may think it is great that you dont have to queue at customs and its for our benefit however i refer you back to chinas citizen score and the polices illegal use of facial recognition equipment. "

Can I ask what you think was the Police Forces illegal use of facial recognition? What you think the UK actually does illegally and for what purpose?

"I would advise everyone to read up on china's citizen score for an indication of what is to come.

Im also surprised nobody has mentioned biometric passports. With these a 3d map of your facial features are stored in a chip on the passport specifically to be used by facial recognition equipment. Ergo the goverment have a record of, and ability to use it. You may think it is great that you dont have to queue at customs and its for our benefit however i refer you back to chinas citizen score and the polices illegal use of facial recognition equipment.

Can I ask what you think was the Police Forces illegal use of facial recognition? What you think the UK actually does illegally and for what purpose? "

One instance they used it to scan 100's of thousands of innocent people in a complete and disproportionate invasion of privacy. In others they detained 42 people of which 34 where completely innocent. They used a system with known failings which give false identification and used/referenced police mug shots of people that should have been long since deleted as they where not proven guilty of any offence.

Im guessing you think that the good old british government and police would never do anything illegal...?

Smart TVs

Smart phones

Facial recognition

CCTv

Number plate recognition

Group think

Creating informers

Trolling as mind control

Privacy whittled away

Though this belongs in the politics forum. "

It’s quite simple. If you don’t like them don’t have any of the products or technology in your house.

Can I ask what you think was the Police Forces illegal use of facial recognition? What you think the UK actually does illegally and for what purpose?

One instance they used it to scan 100's of thousands of innocent people in a complete and disproportionate invasion of privacy. In others they detained 42 people of which 34 where completely innocent. They used a system with known failings which give false identification and used/referenced police mug shots of people that should have been long since deleted as they where not proven guilty of any offence.

Im guessing you think that the good old british government and police would never do anything illegal...?

"

I hate to say it, but that's a very one sided perspective.

Yes they scanned faces, for the purposes of identifying people who are wanted or to gather intelligence.

People were stopped, identity clarified then released.

Do agencies get it wrong, and act inappropriately at times? Yes.

Do they do it on the grand level some conspiracy theorists make out? No.

In fact, take a look at who's doing illegal activity on a grand scale...the Public. Best we set up an organisation to do that and give them the tools they need?

Law enforcement agencies have been having cases of mistaken identity as long as they have existed. They just used to do it with people. Now that they can do it digitally it's no different although I agree that the amount of incorrect id's with FRT currently make it non-viable.

"

It's not illegal for the Police to use it in the UK.

They just have to make a good case for its use.

The Israelis just use human resources, ie..'he looks a wrong 'un'. Surprisingly accurate too....

I hate to say it, but that's a very one sided perspective.

Yes they scanned faces, for the purposes of identifying people who are wanted or to gather intelligence.

Do agencies get it wrong, and act inappropriately at times? Yes.

Do they do it on the grand level some conspiracy theorists make out? No.

In fact, take a look at who's doing illegal activity on a grand scale...the Public. Best we set up an organisation to do that and give them the tools they need?

"

And your argument is very dismissive of our civil liberties and the fact that the police have broken the law themselves. As for your statement about it being the public that break the law, incorrect. It's people that break the law and that includes those in the police and government.

As the police have already proven that they will knowingly use the technology illegally and inappropriately it is fair to assume that this will continue as the system becomes more powerful and widespread and the potential implications become more concerning.

So no, its not best that we willingly give them the technologhy for them to use as they see fit.

But of course we have no control over it and we will have even less control of our lives once it becomes embedded into our society. There are already supermarkets using it to deny people entry to the stores, casinos have used it gor years. Imagine the embarrasment of being wrongly identified as a shoplifter. Now imagine that all shops had the system and now you are unable to buy food ANYWHERE because of a computer error.

Far fetched conspiracy theory you say?

It, and similar is already happening with people being denied access to healthcare, government help, even credit and services.

It's not illegal for the Police to use it in the UK.

They just have to make a good case for its use. "

It is illegal when used outside of the prescribed guidelines, which it has.

"The Israelis just use human resources, ie..'he looks a wrong 'un'. Surprisingly accurate too.... "

The Israelis also have automated robotic gun towers that can track, shoot and kill people autonomously.

"The Israelis just use human resources, ie..'he looks a wrong 'un'. Surprisingly accurate too....

The Israelis also have automated robotic gun towers that can track, shoot and kill people autonomously. "

Would go well with facial recognition dont you think? Ignoring the 20% success rate at correct identification of course..

Smart TVs

Smart phones

Facial recognition

CCTv

Number plate recognition

Group think

Creating informers

Trolling as mind control

Privacy whittled away

It’s quite simple. If you don’t like them don’t have any of the products or technology in your house. "

Who says I do?

"

It’s quite simple. If you don’t like them don’t have any of the products or technology in your house. "

If only it was that simple.

We as a society are being herded into it to the point of it being impossible to avoid.

My local council services are moving to online only. Schools are insisting on using fingerprints for registration and acessing school meals. Job centres require you log in to thier jobsearch portal or be sanctioned, Insurance are insisting on black box trackng of motorists. Companies are refusing cash. Banks closing branches and cash machines and moving online. Passports renewals are all biometric and access to countries like America demands that you surrender your privacy or be refused entry. Facial recognition and numberplate recognition are beyond your control.

You are also surrounded by other peoples smart devices and their expectation that you communicate via internet based systems such as whatsapp. High streets are closing meaning a reliance on internet shopping and cashless transactions. Utility companies are foistung smart meters upon customers, HMRC have moved to online tax returns.

Etc, etc.

"

"

I missed this in my last reply. lets get this right, in my example 34 innocent people where arrested, not simply stopped and questioned and released. God knows how many where stopped and able to prove thier innocence/identity.

Do you think this is acceptable?

Derry

Anything smart is not for our good or our benefit and the younger generations are been hoodwinked into thinking its all a normal way of life.

Once everyone becomes dependant on smart technology then bit by bit the government can slip in the main reason for it which is to have total mass control over us all.

Once again we will be jupped and told that its for security reasons or some other bolloxs that is for our own good to keep us safe etc etc.

They know that no one with half a brain cell would volunteer or agree to their plan of action or give up their freedoms or rights easily without a fight so this is the way they get around it.

WAKEN UP

By * and M lookingCouple  over a year ago

Worcester

Smart TVs

Smart phones

Facial recognition

CCTv

Number plate recognition

Group think

Creating informers

Trolling as mind control

Privacy whittled away

It's all in the mind

You are a part of the Matrix

"Anything smart is not for our good or our benefit and the younger generations are been hoodwinked into thinking its all a normal way of life.

Once everyone becomes dependant on smart technology then bit by bit the government can slip in the main reason for it which is to have total mass control over us all.

Once again we will be jupped and told that its for security reasons or some other bolloxs that is for our own good to keep us safe etc etc.

They know that no one with half a brain cell would volunteer or agree to their plan of action or give up their freedoms or rights easily without a fight so this is the way they get around it.

WAKEN UP

"

By seeing how Modern phones destroy the art of communication with those in the immediate presence of so many users that's all I need to see to make sure it doesn't rule over me in the same way.

"Anything smart is not for our good or our benefit and the younger generations are been hoodwinked into thinking its all a normal way of life.

WAKEN UP

By seeing how Modern phones destroy the art of communication with those in the immediate presence of so many users that's all I need to see to make sure it doesn't rule over me in the same way."

Were all entitled to our opinions.

But you're not exactly providing a balanced debate.

There are many virtues and positives to the items you've highlighted.

And you've hardly given a clear example of where you have been genuinely been disadvantaged?

If you're that afraid, why create a fab profile?

Derry

WAKEN UP

By seeing how Modern phones destroy the art of communication with those in the immediate presence of so many users that's all I need to see to make sure it doesn't rule over me in the same way."

Once the government have a generation of brainwashed people who are unable to communicate with each other unless by text they are half ways there to controlling and manipulating what people say and think.

Governments will monitor every word and then silence anyone who dont agree or think the way the government wants.

We will soon be under full dictatorship been told what to say and think and everyone will just take it lying down.

At least the generations before had some back bone in them and were not spinless like todays generations.

Smart TVs

Smart phones

Facial recognition

CCTv

Number plate recognition

Group think

Creating informers

Trolling as mind control

Privacy whittled away

It’s quite simple. If you don’t like them don’t have any of the products or technology in your house. Who says I do?"

Well you’re on here fir a start which means you have either a smart phone or computer and you are connected to the internet.

Smart TVs

Smart phones

Facial recognition

CCTv

Number plate recognition

Group think

Creating informers

Trolling as mind control

Privacy whittled away

It’s quite simple. If you don’t like them don’t have any of the products or technology in your house. Who says I do?

Well you’re on here fir a start which means you have either a smart phone or computer and you are connected to the internet. "

There are smart phones and there are smart phones, thankfully I'm smarter than the one I have! I hope

By *d59michelleTV/TS  over a year ago

walsall

Clocking in just lets your employer know you were there in the morning, not where you were the rest of the day.. "

They only knew the card had gone in the clock at that time not who had done it when I first went to work

By *d59michelleTV/TS  over a year ago

walsall

On the news years ago John Stalker the ex police chief reported on facial recognition cameras fed an old photo of him as a young pc into the system walked through it flagged him up so it's been here before the internet

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Clocking in just lets your employer know you were there in the morning, not where you were the rest of the day..

They only knew the card had gone in the clock at that time not who had done it when I first went to work "

Yep. Some people would clock a friend in who was running late

"Even in the courts of the Tudor monarchs and long before people were employed by various agencies and individuals to listen in to and monitor courtiers conversations. Their actions and communication with each other was very much controlled by this knowledge.

Researching the origins of the word eavesdropping is interesting."

That is interesting. Never knew that.

.. Snip...

Hope thats helpful.

"

Very useful and interesting. Especially the tip about separate emails so you know which company made you get Spam.

How else is it going to find the ultimate tumble dryer if it's not on washr?"

I got it

"

Very useful and interesting. Especially the tip about separate emails so you know which company made you get Spam.

"

Thanks. I think that Google offer services called email aliases for people on Gmail that allows up to 30 addresses per account if you don't use your own domain.

» Add a new message to this topic