FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > The Current UK Top 20 !!

The Current UK Top 20 !!

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *rumpyMcFuckNugget OP   Man  over a year ago

Den of Iniquity

Seriously, I just perused the Top 20 and I've never fucking heard of most of them ...

Fredo , Riton & Oliver Heldens, Blackbear , J Hus , Arizona Zervas , Lizzo ....

Who the fuck are these people .

Or am I just a grumpy old cunt ??

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *epsonWoman  over a year ago

Biddulph

It's an age thing

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

When you were 20 that's exactly what your dad said about the current top 20

No. Just tells you, you grew up when Music was proper music.

They still do a top 20? I thought that ended after we stopped recording songs on a Sunday night?

By *lbinoGorillaMan  over a year ago

Redditch

Some of the music is not bad (some!) but what I can't get my head round us the number of collaborations between artists these days. Everything's XX featuring YY, or XX and YY.

Who's bloody record is it??

I guess I'm getting just as grumpy as Grumpy

By *izzy69Man  over a year ago

London

I think it's a combination of the age we are and the age we live in.

Yes we have started to sound like our dads but also we now live in a disposal culture. None of these 'artists' as they now like to be called, will be remembered in 5 years time. And it doesn't matter to them or the public. They all live in the here and now and discard after use. So they don't care that you don't recognise any of them.

Think about it, the musicians and singers 20 or so years ago we can still remember and get played because even the 1 hit wonders became classics. Today's lot will make a quick buck from a crowd pleaser and move on to something else.

Den of Iniquity

"Some of the music is not bad (some!) but what I can't get my head round us the number of collaborations between artists these days. Everything's XX featuring YY, or XX and YY.

I guess I'm getting just as grumpy as Grumpy "

Den of Iniquity

"Some of the music is not bad (some!) but what I can't get my head round us the number of collaborations between artists these days. Everything's XX featuring YY, or XX and YY.

I guess I'm getting just as grumpy as Grumpy "

And yes I have I have noticed that too .

Sometimes it's more than 2 " artists " .

I keep seeing it too , it's usually something like ...

Brainbasher and Fuckweasel ft. BSJYDJFH 567 and Twatface .

Or something like that

By *AYENCouple  over a year ago

Lincolnshire

"I think it's a combination of the age we are and the age we live in.

Yes we have started to sound like our dads but also we now live in a disposal culture. None of these 'artists' as they now like to be called, will be remembered in 5 years time. And it doesn't matter to them or the public. They all live in the here and now and discard after use. So they don't care that you don't recognise any of them.

Think about it, the musicians and singers 20 or so years ago we can still remember and get played because even the 1 hit wonders became classics. Today's lot will make a quick buck from a crowd pleaser and move on to something else.

"

There's some very good 'artists' in the current top 20 - and there's several there that have been around for more than 5 years and will be around for many years to come, either still producing new music or by being listened to by those that become stuck in the 20teens for the next 40 years moaning that music isn't like it used to be!

"Seriously, I just perused the Top 20 and I've never fucking heard of most of them ...

Or am I just a grumpy old cunt ??"

I've just checked the charts from this day in 1997, when I was 20 (and coincidentally the OP too)

From the Top 20, I liked 5 of the tracks (Got lucky I reckon as PF Project and Prodigy are both on there) there were a few others I could listen too as well and the rest were just shit. But NOT ONE fucking autotune between them I believe!

The difference is that my Dad was as out of touch with music of that time as you can imagine as he stopped paying attention to music after the death of the Folk boom in the late 60s? (I once played some Sex Pistols and he was in the room right through Anarchy in the UK, after which he looked a little bemused by the song that came out and was massive when he was only 30/31 and said "Do you know, that sounded a bit like Punk?") Yet while he may not have been able to pick ANY of their songs out, even HE had heard of The Spice Girls, Prodigy and Elton John?

Wasn't it Andy Warhol who said "In the future everyone will be world-famous for 15 minutes"?Smart man...

B

Den of Iniquity

"Seriously, I just perused the Top 20 and I've never fucking heard of most of them ...

I've just checked the charts from this day in 1997, when I was 20 (and coincidentally the OP too)

From the Top 20, I liked 5 of the tracks (Got lucky I reckon as PF Project and Prodigy are both on there) there were a few others I could listen too as well and the rest were just shit. But NOT ONE fucking autotune between them I believe!

The difference is that my Dad was as out of touch with music of that time as you can imagine as he stopped paying attention to music after the death of the Folk boom in the late 60s? (I once played some Sex Pistols and he was in the room right through Anarchy in the UK, after which he looked a little bemused by the song that came out and was massive when he was only 30/31 and said "Do you know, that sounded a bit like Punk?") Yet while he may not have been able to pick ANY of their songs out, even HE had heard of The Spice Girls, Prodigy and Elton John?

Wasn't it Andy Warhol who said "In the future everyone will be world-famous for 15 minutes"?Smart man...

B"

Bravo on your research sir , I am humbled you went to so much trouble to contribute to this . Its more than i can be arsed to do . You are of course , as usual , spot on

By *thwiltsmMan  over a year ago

salisbury

Definitely just reached grumpy stage of life. Won’t be long until you’re pestering youngsters with stories about how everything was so much better in the old days

Den of Iniquity

"Definitely just reached grumpy stage of life. Won’t be long until you’re pestering youngsters with stories about how everything was so much better in the old days "
I should call myself Victor

Happened to me last weekend, i was thinking...is this even music mostly! So, I'll join in and be grumpy old sod

Den of Iniquity

"Happened to me last weekend, i was thinking...is this even music mostly! So, I'll join in and be grumpy old sod "
Yay , join me

By *aitonelMan  over a year ago

Liverpool

Times, trends, tastes, and art changes. Its a part of life.

I'm not saying I enjoy current music but not every era of music will suit everyone. As a kid/teen I know plenty of people that would take the piss out of their parents music, and for not "understanding" what was current. And that generation before that, and the one before that going all the way back. That is how art and fashion works. Sure there may be a few tracks that stand the test of time, however a lot of those end up getting a "modern" remake or remix.

As it was said above, the major difference now is that it is disposable and replaceable with a conveyer belt of "artists".

We generally attach with what we grew up as, as normal, with what is "proper" and "good" music.

Hell.. Classic, orchestral, or film score based music general gets shit on by a lot of people because its not what they enjoy, but it sure as hell is much better music (as music) than any top 20 for the past 30-40 years.

By *ensuallover1000Man  over a year ago

Somewhere In The Ether…

I’m sticking with Mozart.

Den of Iniquity

"I’m sticking with Mozart."
Nah , hes shit

London

"I’m sticking with Mozart. Nah , hes shit "

Don't know any of his lyrics so cant sing along.

London

"I think it's a combination of the age we are and the age we live in.

There's some very good 'artists' in the current top 20 - and there's several there that have been around for more than 5 years and will be around for many years to come, either still producing new music or by being listened to by those that become stuck in the 20teens for the next 40 years moaning that music isn't like it used to be! "

No fair point, I'm not saying all 20 are shit. Of course there are some current artists with longevity - Adele, Coldplay, Stormzy even. But the type that OP described who just pop out of nowhere and disappear into nothing existed by exception but now populate the charts. Even Milli Vanilli lasted longer than some of today's lot. Actually, with all the auto-tunes going on, they'll probably thrive now. Lol

It's not just you. I'm shocked by the top 40 these days.

I stopped listening to radio 1 months ago because of the shite it plays

I must of listened to a lyrical masterpiece of "you want it you got it" they must of been proud of that lyric as it was repeated hundreds of times in that track! etc blah

Fucking song was in loop!

Like Dante's seventh circle of hell!

the top 40 turned into the flop 40 many years ago and it gets worse every year.thank god I grew up in the late 70s early 80s when we had a great chart every week

I don't think it's just an age thing. I don't think there is as much good talent about these days.

Back in the day, artists had to rely on pure talent, good voices, song writing skills and the ability to play a musical instrument.

It's far too easy these days for any old Joe Blogs to make a record and sound reasonably ok.

If you watch an old Top of The Pops and see a group, such as The Drifters for example really belt out a great tune with amazing harmonies then think, what do we have today that even compares to that?

I am biased towards older music though as I am too an old git!

By *lbinoGorillaMan  over a year ago

Redditch

I stopped listening to radio 1 months ago because of the shite it plays

I must of listened to a lyrical masterpiece of "you want it you got it" they must of been proud of that lyric as it was repeated hundreds of times in that track! etc blah

Fucking song was in loop!

Like Dante's seventh circle of hell! "

Agreed, the music itself is pretty banal, but the presenters themselves on Radio 1 are the best out there. Far better than anyone else I've heard on either public or commercial radio

By *ocbigMan  over a year ago

Birmingham

As a general rule or two..if the artists name has ‘feat’ in it I won’t like it, likewise if ‘DJ’ is mentioned

London

"As a general rule or two..if the artists name has ‘feat’ in it I won’t like it, likewise if ‘DJ’ is mentioned "

Lol. That's going too far. Sometimes it's just a marketing thing to attract younger audiences.

Like Stormzy, his music is not my kind of thing but he is an extremely intelligent individual with a number of A* grades under his belt. But he has chosen to give himself a ridiculous name with a ridiculous spelling.

By *hoenixAdAstraWoman  over a year ago

Hiding in the shadows

Yes

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"As a general rule or two..if the artists name has ‘feat’ in it I won’t like it, likewise if ‘DJ’ is mentioned

Lol. That's going too far. Sometimes it's just a marketing thing to attract younger audiences.

Like Stormzy, his music is not my kind of thing but he is an extremely intelligent individual with a number of A* grades under his belt. But he has chosen to give himself a ridiculous name with a ridiculous spelling."

Slade built a reputation for misspelling a lot of their song titles

By *ocbigMan  over a year ago

Birmingham

"As a general rule or two..if the artists name has ‘feat’ in it I won’t like it, likewise if ‘DJ’ is mentioned

Like Stormzy, his music is not my kind of thing but he is an extremely intelligent individual with a number of A* grades under his belt. But he has chosen to give himself a ridiculous name with a ridiculous spelling.

Slade built a reputation for misspelling a lot of their song titles "

..it wasn't (wazunt) misspelt in the Black Country...

» Add a new message to this topic