FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Laser eye surgery

Laser eye surgery

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *urvySub87 OP   Woman  over a year ago

Near Wellingborough

So I've saved up my pennies and all going well I'll be getting my eyes fixed at the beginning of the new year.

I'm thinking of using Lumivision in Leicester. Has anyone used them on here?

Anyone had laser eye surgery done before who can tell me what it was like and if it hurt please

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *rwhowhatwherewhyMan  over a year ago

Aylesbury

Personally I think you should stick to glasses

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Personally I think you should stick to glasses"

An opinion based on what?

I had mine done in 2005 with Ultralase. I have a lifetime guarantee and can see far better than anyone I know. I can still read a vehicle number plate at probably 80-90m. The only downside, and it’s very rare, are dry eyes in a morning sometimes.

Please don't quote me on this but ive heard and read that if you get a cataract nothing can be done if you have had eye laser surgery.

Like I said im not Doc but ask just to be sure

Aylesbury

"Personally I think you should stick to glasses

I had mine done in 2005 with Ultralase. I have a lifetime guarantee and can see far better than anyone I know. I can still read a vehicle number plate at probably 80-90m. The only downside, and it’s very rare, are dry eyes in a morning sometimes.

"

Based on I think glasses look nice on people

By *dam1971Man  over a year ago

Bedford

I had it done about 15 years ago and it was excellent. My vision is still perfect today

Based on I think glasses look nice on people"

I think the OP is more bothered about being able to see correctly than your opinion of what they might look like.

Near Wellingborough

Would be nice to be able to see without glasses or contact lenses but I suppose there is a little vanity behind the reason as well

"Would be nice to be able to see without glasses or contact lenses but I suppose there is a little vanity behind the reason as well "

My husband is recovering from eye surgery (not related to laser) so eyes are on my mind.

I think lots of people have had surgery successfully but also there are quite a few that have had all kinds of problems. If you Google 'laser surgery ruined my life' you will get plenty of info.

If you are happy with glasses or contact lenses I would not take the risk even if a small risk.

Aylesbury

I think the OP is more bothered about being able to see correctly than your opinion of what they might look like. "

Glasses do that

By *heltenhamBiGuyMan  over a year ago

Cheltenham

I had it done 11 years ago, not painful at all, had 20/20 vision for some years, but have recently found I need reading glasses, so the eyes can deteriorate again over time.

By *aitonelMan  over a year ago

Liverpool

"Would be nice to be able to see without glasses or contact lenses but I suppose there is a little vanity behind the reason as well

My husband is recovering from eye surgery (not related to laser) so eyes are on my mind.

I think lots of people have had surgery successfully but also there are quite a few that have had all kinds of problems. If you Google 'laser surgery ruined my life' you will get plenty of info.

If you are happy with glasses or contact lenses I would not take the risk even if a small risk."

Any kind of procedure comes with risk, no matter how big or small. But I agree that if you are doing it purely for "vanity" of not wearing glasses then I'd not bother.

"Please don't quote me on this but ive heard and read that if you get a cataract nothing can be done if you have had eye laser surgery.

Like I said im not Doc but ask just to be sure"

This isn't true, however lasik procedures will not correct cataracts, they require separate surgery.

By *aitonelMan  over a year ago

Liverpool

"

Vita-pos gel at night can help a great deal with that (don't think there is an issue with using post laser surgery).

I have a condition that causes my eye lids to some times stick to my eye over night, in the morning when I open them it rips the top layer off my cornea. Recurrent corneal erosion.

Happens 95% less since using it.

My eyes are too dry, the procedure tends to make eyes drier and I am already in considerable discomfort with dryness and hay-fever, no way would I personally take the risk of surgery,although I would love to be glasses free, both for vanity and simply being able to see, I am very short-sighted and it continues to deteriorate.

Near Wellingborough

After years of wearing glasses I have developed a small indent in my head just behind my ears. It can feel quite uncomfortable, sometimes even painful at times which is why I looked into contact lenses (as suggested by my opticion) unfortunately I don't get on with them. So the next step is surgery. A little bit of vanity but mainly to stop the discomfort I'm in

Good luck!!! Personally not for me. I’ve seen how it’s done, and... well I don’t like things going in my eyes anyway

I think the OP is more bothered about being able to see correctly than your opinion of what they might look like.

Glasses do that "

No they don’t. The aid it. You still can’t see correctly, they just help

"After years of wearing glasses I have developed a small indent in my head just behind my ears. It can feel quite uncomfortable, sometimes even painful at times which is why I looked into contact lenses (as suggested by my opticion) unfortunately I don't get on with them. So the next step is surgery. A little bit of vanity but mainly to stop the discomfort I'm in"

Why couldn't you wear contacts? I can't either and the dryness is the reason.

Near Wellingborough

I struggled to take them out

By *edmark07Man  over a year ago

liverpool

There are a few different procedures you can have dine. LASIK, Lasek and lens replacement, which will last a lifetime otherwise the former two last roughly 10/yes before your eyes will have deteriorated and you will need glasses again. As a rough estimate

By *lirtyfun!!Woman  over a year ago

Epsom

I had mine done about 5/6 years ago. The procedure itself wasn't painful, but I remember my eyes stinging loads as the anathestic wore off. My eyesight is still great now. The only slight issue I find is that my eyes are more sensitive to sunlight than they were, so I have to wear decent sunglasses in summer

Near Wellingborough

I can live with sunglasses, it's not like the sun comes out that much lol

By *ed1boxMan  over a year ago

Braintree

I had laser surgery some years ago, which ultimately failed. Some years later I was diagnosed with cataracts which I believed was caused by the surgery. I recently had lens replacement surgery on the NHS where during the procedure they found damage to my cornea by the previous laser surgeon, so be careful. Having experienced both procedures, my advice would be to go for lens replacement, which is permanent and quite outstanding results.

By *tephenBunChowMan  over a year ago

Haywards heath/Waterlooville

Both my brother and friend had their done at Harley Street. Costs vary from 5-10k depending on their prescription.

Also had a friend had hers done in Budapest. Quoted 6k in UK, 3k in Budapest. All have perfect vision and no probs now.

By *octor DeleriumMan  over a year ago

Bristol

Some background information on laser eye surgery.

The cornea (the surface that gets burned by the laser) takes around 6 months to heal, even after successful surgery; you don't want to be working in a dusty environment or anywhere that you might experience a blow to the head or any other form of percussive force to the eye.

There is more likelihood of the surgery not being successful if your current eyesight is close to the surgical limit for the procedure i.e. very short sighted or very long sighted (you, essentially have an eyeball that is the wrong shape).

You also need to ensure that your surgeon is aware of any other medical conditions that you have, including any medications that you take.

LASIK surgery is a more effective procedure than LASEK.

Common side effects include dry eyes, halos around lights at night (may be important if you do a lot of driving); less common are light and contrast sensitivity, failure of correction, worsening of correction and degradation of correction with time.

Near Wellingborough

Thank you, this is really helpful to know

I had LASIK about 3 years ago and so pleased I did!

» Add a new message to this topic