FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Anxiety and depression

Anxiety and depression

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ustyLeRoux OP   Woman  over a year ago

Brecon

So I definitely use fab as a means from escaping my worries.. doesnt always work.

Does anyone else find it hard to explain that you struggle ? Ie organising a social meet then changing your mind ? Mainly because of the crippling fear of rejection ?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I think, as most people already know, suffering depression and anxiety etc can manifest itself in so many different ways.

It's easy to over analyse in ones head, but very difficult to open up to others honestly for fear of being labelled.

Following through a meet to keep an obligation wouldn't be great. Be honest and use non committal words, like feeling a bit under the weather as opposed to anxiety?

By *dam1971Man  over a year ago

Bedford

"So I definitely use fab as a means from escaping my worries.. doesnt always work.

Does anyone else find it hard to explain that you struggle ? Ie organising a social meet then changing your mind ? Mainly because of the crippling fear of rejection ?"

I think that’s normal when you’re working through depression. Just remember that you are working through it, it’s difficult but you can do it

"So I definitely use fab as a means from escaping my worries.. doesnt always work.

Does anyone else find it hard to explain that you struggle ? Ie organising a social meet then changing your mind ? Mainly because of the crippling fear of rejection ?"

I had a similar thread, I suffer from eupd and PTSD, fab helps me disassociate from real life x

By *aitonelMan  over a year ago

Liverpool

I try to avoid making plans until I'm absolutely sure I can handle it both in terms of schedule and my current state of mind.

But yes, it is not always easy to explain these things to "strangers" without them being unable to understand how much of an impact it is on you. It is why I generally now tend to get to know people and chat. Much more than rush a meet.

By *ustyLeRoux OP   Woman  over a year ago

Brecon

" I think, as most people already know, suffering depression and anxiety etc can manifest itself in so many different ways.

It's easy to over analyse in ones head, but very difficult to open up to others honestly for fear of being labelled.

Following through a meet to keep an obligation wouldn't be great. Be honest and use non committal words, like feeling a bit under the weather as opposed to anxiety?"

Well true but I think I prefer to be honest and say that I'm a giant fruit loop

Bedford

" I think, as most people already know, suffering depression and anxiety etc can manifest itself in so many different ways.

Following through a meet to keep an obligation wouldn't be great. Be honest and use non committal words, like feeling a bit under the weather as opposed to anxiety?

Well true but I think I prefer to be honest and say that I'm a giant fruit loop"

You’re probably not a giant fruit loop. I understand the whole “self deprecating” thing but make sure it’s not in the narrative you tell yourself

Well true but I think I prefer to be honest and say that I'm a giant fruit loop"

You are not a fruit loop, we all have our demons and it’s good to talk...it’s always best to lower any expectations of meeting new people. Never feel alone help is there if needed through friendship and without judgement

I think you and how you feel are priority. Try not to overcommitt yourself or rush into anything when you are in your good form, so when it plummets you don't put a pressure on yourself. Or others don't..

You don't need to share everything about your challenges, unless you want to. In fact you dont have to share anything at all. There are other ways to phrase it. X

By *ssex_tomMan  over a year ago

Chelmsford

"

That's it. Own it..

By *forfun500Couple  over a year ago

walsall

I to suffer with this have done for 9 years on n off i used to hide it and just get on with it. I relapsed in 2017 and decided to tell people what was going on and tbh since being open people now understand why i do the things i do

Such as not turn up when i say i will.

I used to make excuses to get out of going places but now i just say i will see how i feel. And they understand if i dont turn up its so much easier than people thinking i just couldnt be arsed.

I suffer. My family at home and friends understand, which is good. My mum totally doesn’t understand, and until recently my dad didn’t either.

Hi

Just continue with using fab as an escape from anxiety and depression.

I struggle with many things and getting stressed about it does not help

By *ig_eric_tionMan  over a year ago

IPSWICH

"I to suffer with this have done for 9 years on n off i used to hide it and just get on with it. I relapsed in 2017 and decided to tell people what was going on and tbh since being open people now understand why i do the things i do

I used to make excuses to get out of going places but now i just say i will see how i feel. And they understand if i dont turn up its so much easier than people thinking i just couldnt be arsed.

"

I've taken this approach to. It seems to make things easier to deal with and I think I get over it quicker too.

By *forfun500Couple  over a year ago

walsall

"I to suffer with this have done for 9 years on n off i used to hide it and just get on with it. I relapsed in 2017 and decided to tell people what was going on and tbh since being open people now understand why i do the things i do

I've taken this approach to. It seems to make things easier to deal with and I think I get over it quicker too. "

Yeah cause you dont feel as if you have let people down which makes you feel worse.

I find its easier to talk and prepare just incase

I don't think sex with strangers would be a good idea if I was suffering from depression or anxiety. I certainly wouldn't involve them in my issues. Fucking around does not improve mental health.

"I don't think sex with strangers would be a good idea if I was suffering from depression or anxiety. I certainly wouldn't involve them in my issues. Fucking around does not improve mental health. "

Kinda agree....

Yeah I think I suffer from this.

Bedford

"I don't think sex with strangers would be a good idea if I was suffering from depression or anxiety. I certainly wouldn't involve them in my issues. Fucking around does not improve mental health. "

Just to show that everyone’s situation is different...

If you’re suffering because of physical rejection then rediscovering that actually people want to have sex with you can be a good thing.

Maybe you could go to the library or book shop and get a book on counselling skills and trying some of the techniques.

"I don't think sex with strangers would be a good idea if I was suffering from depression or anxiety. I certainly wouldn't involve them in my issues. Fucking around does not improve mental health.

If you’re suffering because of physical rejection then rediscovering that actually people want to have sex with you can be a good thing."

Until they don't....

By *hatYorkLadMan  over a year ago

York

I've had a lot of anxiety and depression issues in the past, and I used to go through phases of avoiding friends and social situations when it was particularly bad. I've since learned to swallow the anxiety down and force myself to do whatever it is my irrational anxiety is telling me not to. The anxiety is still there but I just treat it as background noise.

What works for one person doesn’t necessarily work for the other as we are all individuals - when I’ve been mentally poorly, I found social media and the internet space in general quite unhelpful.

Meeting people for the first and certainly putting myself through the situation of potentially being judged was not something I wanted to do.

With you on this one. Ive got ocd, ptsd and I worry. Ive had depression too.

Ive worried, but find that if doing diy jobs i research things and knowledge gives me control over things.

Same with sorting out admin problems like form filling, council, insurance, utility issues etc. I now analyse the problem before tackling it.

As for meeting up people i tend not to think there's anything going to happen. That way my expectations sre byilt up. Ive also a low opinion of myself so no pride to be hurt

"I don't think sex with strangers would be a good idea if I was suffering from depression or anxiety. I certainly wouldn't involve them in my issues. Fucking around does not improve mental health.

If you’re suffering because of physical rejection then rediscovering that actually people want to have sex with you can be a good thing."

And if all the people they mail either don't reply or reject them...... ?

I find Fab to be less than helpful when I'm dealing with periods of anxiety. While it's sometimes lovely, it's often a bit brutal on the old ego.

Bedford

If you’re suffering because of physical rejection then rediscovering that actually people want to have sex with you can be a good thing.

And if all the people they mail either don't reply or reject them...... ?"

Then that would be a bad thing.

However if some people reply, relate and connect it’s a good thing. I’ve had both happen at different times.

» Add a new message to this topic