FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Redundancy dilemma

Redundancy dilemma

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *rAitch OP   Man  over a year ago

Diagonally Parked in a Parallel Universe

I work for a reasonably large employer in the adult education sector. In my particular role, there are six of us, and yesterday we were called into a meeting where we were informed that due to a restructuring of the department, our numbers will be reduced from six down to two, and these two roles will be slightly different to what they are at present.

In the documentation provided, there was a new job description, a copy of the Redundancy Policy and a copy of the Redundancy Procedure. One of the criteria in the job description is Attention to Detail.

My dilemma is this; I read the policy and procedure, and both have grammatical errors and typos in them. This, for an adult education company isn't good enough. I have to attend a consultation meeting next week. At this meeting, would it be a good idea to point out these errors or not?

Part of me says no, because they might think I am being cheeky and therefore lessen my chance of securing one of the posts, and part of me says yes, as they might have intentionally included them as a test for our attention to detail.

I think I have a good chance of one of these roles, especially as I get a lot of excellent feedback from clients and funding providers to my manager, which the others don't get, so I don't want to jeopardise my chance, but don't want them thinking I have no attention to detail.

What would you do?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"I work for a reasonably large employer in the adult education sector. In my particular role, there are six of us, and yesterday we were called into a meeting where we were informed that due to a restructuring of the department, our numbers will be reduced from six down to two, and these two roles will be slightly different to what they are at present.

In the documentation provided, there was a new job description, a copy of the Redundancy Policy and a copy of the Redundancy Procedure. One of the criteria in the job description is Attention to Detail.

My dilemma is this; I read the policy and procedure, and both have grammatical errors and typos in them. This, for an adult education company isn't good enough. I have to attend a consultation meeting next week. At this meeting, would it be a good idea to point out these errors or not?

Part of me says no, because they might think I am being cheeky and therefore lessen my chance of securing one of the posts, and part of me says yes, as they might have intentionally included them as a test for our attention to detail.

I think I have a good chance of one of these roles, especially as I get a lot of excellent feedback from clients and funding providers to my manager, which the others don't get, so I don't want to jeopardise my chance, but don't want them thinking I have no attention to detail.

What would you do?"

I would suggest that you mention the errors in an interview setting in the context of attention to detail. I would say: I notice the post requires attention to detail and I feel have those qualities (give some real examples) and also because I couldn't help noticing that even the notices we were given contained errors. And smile.

By *ssex_tomMan  over a year ago

Chelmsford

I would not point out the errors and engage with the process. If you point out the errors and apply for the new role but don't get it then you will always wonder if it was because you pointed out the errors..

That said. Be your own man and take the decision that feels right for you..

Acas would be your best bet. Ask them on how to proceed on the best course of action.

It is poor form and no excuse for grammatical errors on official company documents. Not professional and dare I say disrespectful.

It would annoy me too

It's a test!

Personally, I would definitely mention it in respect to the job requiring attention to detail and the fact this is for a job within the adult education sector. Every day is a lesson after all, so even if it's not a test, they should be gracious enough to receive the constructive criticism

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

I would do it in your 1-2-1 consultation, that is normally a meeting to see how you feel about what is happening, would you like to stay or go etc

If you wish to point out their errors, do it politely and constructively before that meeting to whoever gave you the paperwork

Personally I’d leave it well alone and just concentrate on what you want, and if you don’t get that what you will do afterwards.

By *rontier PsychiatristMan  over a year ago

Coventry

I suspect your over thinking it. I say that because your thinking is the same as I'd think and I overthink things all the time.

On reflection I'd maybe argue that as its adult education they'd expect you to understand grammar and thus not feel the need to test you on it. So taking deeper stock I would go with the probability this isn't a test and calling them on it is probably not going to win you brownie points.

Coventry

Also on a more important note, what is you Union support on this matter?

Tell them you're unimpressed with their efforts and will have to try harder if they wish the continued use of your services

Privately mention it. You are doing them a favour

Coventry

"Privately mention it. You are doing them a favour "

That would also display qualities of tact and decorum if approach right.

"I work for a reasonably large employer in the adult education sector. In my particular role, there are six of us, and yesterday we were called into a meeting where we were informed that due to a restructuring of the department, our numbers will be reduced from six down to two, and these two roles will be slightly different to what they are at present.

What would you do?

I would suggest that you mention the errors in an interview setting in the context of attention to detail. I would say: I notice the post requires attention to detail and I feel have those qualities (give some real examples) and also because I couldn't help noticing that even the notices we were given contained errors. And smile. "

This

By *nabelle21Woman  over a year ago

B38

I don't know how it will play out for either way but I hope it's favourably x

By *eah BabyCouple  over a year ago

Cheshire, Windermere ,Cumbria

It sounds like it’s a planted test considering what you say about the criteria for the job but would suggest you be tactile if pointing this out. Best of luck.

I doubt they are clever enough to think that deeply into it. What I would do if in that dilemma is if was really formal find a way of saying I would make sure any information issued by me would be checked for errors first. I would do it in a way that would make it obvious what I was referring to if it was a test, but subtle enough not to offend it it isn't a test.

But if I was on good terms with the person I'd just make a light hearted comment about it.

If attention to detail is a requirement then point them out somehow, it could be a test, but also shouldn't go against you as that is exactly what they're looking for!

By *oodmessMan  over a year ago

yumsville

[Removed by poster at 30/11/19 22:11:25]

By *oodmessMan  over a year ago

yumsville

Simply because there is a redundancy programme doesn't mean restructuring won't occur. People may leave voluntarily - retirement, fed up with it, payouts, new jobs what ever, so a new role may open up that you didn't expect. I would say that slating whoever wrote the job spec would go a long way to upsetting people from the off, so try and avoid that.

From google. gov. Statutory redundancy notice periods are: at least one week's notice if you have been employed between one month and two years. One week's notice for each year if employed between two and 12 years. 12 weeks' notice if employed for 12 years or more

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

OP, my guess is that the paperwork has come from HR, probably from an outsourced, insurance-backed, source. They are generally awful.

It won't be a test.

Do you want one of the roles?

If you don't then you can make it easy and offer yourself for redundancy or play along and wait for them to interview you. When they do you can present a neatly corrected copy of their paperwork. In both scenarios you would still be eligible for your redundancy payment.

Also, negotiate your reference before you leave.

Thanks for all the comments. Much appreciated. Having stewed on it all day, I am going to play it by ear and see how things progress on the first consultation. I will definitely point it out, but my approach will depend on how I feel it is going.

"OP, my guess is that the paperwork has come from HR, probably from an outsourced, insurance-backed, source. They are generally awful.

It won't be a test.

If you don't then you can make it easy and offer yourself for redundancy or play along and wait for them to interview you. When they do you can present a neatly corrected copy of their paperwork. In both scenarios you would still be eligible for your redundancy payment.

"

I think you've hit the nail on the head. The HR manager is new to the business, only being in post three months, and the paperwork has their name on it as the person who reviewed it, so yes, probably outsourced.

I do want one of the roles, and am fairly confident of landing one, but not going to be complacent. I have to sell myself in the best light

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

"OP, my guess is that the paperwork has come from HR, probably from an outsourced, insurance-backed, source. They are generally awful.

It won't be a test.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. The HR manager is new to the business, only being in post three months, and the paperwork has their name on it as the person who reviewed it, so yes, probably outsourced.

I do want one of the roles, and am fairly confident of landing one, but not going to be complacent. I have to sell myself in the best light "

If you really do want one of the roles then have a critical look at your work to date and consider if there is anything you could have done better, identify the examples of where you have met the new person spec and set out how you can see the new structure working for your clients and the staff team.

Good luck.

» Add a new message to this topic