FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Anyone can play guitar

Anyone can play guitar

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

So sings Thom Yorke. Yeah, right. I bought an acoustic guitar about 30 years ago with the intention of teaching myself, it looked so easy. For the most part it's just sat in the corner of the room gathering dust, i found that i'm completely devoid of any musical talent.

Now i've decided to make more of an effort. I've restrung it, fitted new bridge pins and ordered a sparkly set of plectrums (plectra???).

I also received some lessons for Christmas so here's to 2020, soon to be seen gracing the cover of NME. Back to reality though, wish me luck.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

It might be worth getting it "set up", with the main view of getting it back with a lower action. (string height from the neck).

Any music store with a guitar department should be able to do this for about 30 quid.

-This makes a huge difference to guitar's playability I've found.

Good luck with the lessons, it's a good idea at the beginning stages to have them.

I had lessons for 2 years when I was a teenager, from a classical guitarist, it's not the style I play now - but it was still very useful.

"It might be worth getting it "set up", with the main view of getting it back with a lower action. (string height from the neck).

Any music store with a guitar department should be able to do this for about 30 quid.

-This makes a huge difference to guitar's playability I've found.

Good luck with the lessons, it's a good idea at the beginning stages to have them.

I had lessons for 2 years when I was a teenager, from a classical guitarist, it's not the style I play now - but it was still very useful. "

Thanks, i'll look into that. It was new when i bought it and it's a good make (i think) though, to be honest, i don't think it's the guitar that's the problem.

By *unloversCouple  over a year ago

rotherham

Sell it then

I’m looking for a guitar

I spent decades just a strumming along with a western steel strung. It was ok.

Then changed to classical. A new world opened up. Using the tune a day books.

It's quite a commitment, as you have to keep up the practice to progress, just that little bit more each time.

I sold the old steel strung. But have a few nylon strung. You will need more than one guitar.

"Sell it then

I’m looking for a guitar"

It's left handed. Think i'll stick with it for now.

Best thing I ever learned. I don’t play enough but love it.

I disagree. Not everyone can learn guitar.

Stick with it, it's very rewarding.

It will be hard at first, no question, but suddenly you'll play something that sounds good, that will inspire you, then you'll persevere and before long, you'll be playing.

Fast forward 20 years and it's still the most bloody frustrating thing I do!

"Stick with it, it's very rewarding.

It will be hard at first, no question, but suddenly you'll play something that sounds good, that will inspire you, then you'll persevere and before long, you'll be playing.

Fast forward 20 years and it's still the most bloody frustrating thing I do! "

It's impossible. Im beginning to think "nobody" can play guitar and its a huge worldwide conspiracy.. where they all just pretending and actually its made some other way haha. Absolute impossible lol

As a man on the telly once sang-dedication’s what you need.

If you can put the necessary effort in,you should get rewarded.

Of course it also depends on whether you’re doing it for your own amusement or have aspirations to perform??

We can’t all be Jimi Hendrix!

It's impossible. Im beginning to think "nobody" can play guitar and its a huge worldwide conspiracy.. where they all just pretending and actually its made some other way haha. Absolute impossible lol"

I hear what you're saying. Unfortunately i have the sort of character whereby if i don't get something straight away i tend to give up so in that respect i think this will prove a valuable lesson.

I've got the opening lick to Bob Marley's Redemption Song nailed (thanks youtube) and can play a few chords but that's about it for the time being.

It's impossible. Im beginning to think "nobody" can play guitar and its a huge worldwide conspiracy.. where they all just pretending and actually its made some other way haha. Absolute impossible lol"

As the song goes.. I played it until my fingers bled when I was learning

Nothing is impossible. Well, ok, getting a meet on Fab might be, but nothing else.

But it is very frustrating.

By *ost SockMan  over a year ago

West Wales and Cardiff

"I disagree. Not everyone can learn guitar. "

I used to teach guitar, including people starting in their 60s/70s. Personally, I think almost anyone can learn to play a bit.

I only met one person who couldn’t, but he was so stoned most of the time:

“You know that Beatles song we learnt last week”

“Errrr, no”

“Remember that C chord you learnt last week”

“errrr, no”

“Remember your name?”

“errrrr......Jim”

If you have the time and patience, stick with it. I've been playing guitar and bass most of my adult life and played in a couple of bands in my younger years. Best decision I made was picking up a guitar and learning to play. It does get frustrating at the beginning but persevere and you'll soon be playing basic chords and scales. There are plenty books and websites which will teach you the basics. Good luck

You've heard the term "jack of all trades master of none".

Well in a bit more master of all trades. Anything i turn my hand to i can master. (Cue big head comments lol).

Its not like im not musical either. In school picked up a recorder and that very day i were knockin tunes out and became the only lad in the school assembly recorder section lol. That led to similar instruments. Flute. Oboe. Clarinet etc.

I spent most of my youth and early adult life in many rock/metal covers bands (drummer). There isnt a song i cant play after listening to it once at a push twice. So nothing wrong with timekeeping.

But guitar??? WTF?

Picked my 1st guitar up well over 30years ago. Got maybe 6 basic chords. Can strum a chord. Massive pause while i move fingers. Strum next chord.. massive pause.. etc..

30years on i still no further than those basic chords. 30 odd years??

So that's the "persevere" argument straight out the window. If i lived a thosand years and practised every day, i'll never get past that point. Some things just arent meant to be.

Following notation gets you into some interesting and challenging stuff. But I think some of today's self taught players are beyond even tab notation. And a trained musician would find it difficult to copy them.

So at some point you find a style that is individual to you. It's comfortable and becomes musical by nature. that's what folk notice in someone's playing abilities.

"You've heard the term "jack of all trades master of none".

Well in a bit more master of all trades. Anything i turn my hand to i can master. (Cue big head comments lol).

Its not like im not musical either. In school picked up a recorder and that very day i were knockin tunes out and became the only lad in the school assembly recorder section lol. That led to similar instruments. Flute. Oboe. Clarinet etc.

I spent most of my youth and early adult life in many rock/metal covers bands (drummer). There isnt a song i cant play after listening to it once at a push twice. So nothing wrong with timekeeping.

But guitar??? WTF?

Picked my 1st guitar up well over 30years ago. Got maybe 6 basic chords. Can strum a chord. Massive pause while i move fingers. Strum next chord.. massive pause.. etc..

So that's the "persevere" argument straight out the window. If i lived a thosand years and practised every day, i'll never get past that point. Some things just arent meant to be. "

Your guitar skills sound alot like mine. My chord transitions aren't too bad but i'm very rusty. The biggest problem i've found is that i have very big hands and after a lifetime of manual labour, though strong, they're not very flexible. I'm hoping i can find some exercises to improve this.

I believe in you Doctor Prod!

That being said, learning on an electric guitar much easier I found. Plus no one can hear you screaming fuuuuuuuck offfffffff you shitfucker piece of crap goddamit when you riff on the high notes.

I spent most of my youth and early adult life in many rock/metal covers bands (drummer). There isnt a song i cant play after listening The biggest problem i've found is that i have very big hands and after a lifetime of manual labour, though strong, they're not very flexible. I'm hoping i can find some exercises to improve this."

This, exactly. My fingers just dont move like I think they should

But guitar??? WTF?

So that's the "persevere" argument straight out the window. If i lived a thosand years and practised every day, i'll never get past that point. Some things just arent meant to be.

Your guitar skills sound alot like mine. My chord transitions aren't too bad but i'm very rusty. The biggest problem i've found is that i have very big hands and after a lifetime of manual labour, though strong, they're not very flexible. I'm hoping i can find some exercises to improve this."

I have big hands too (sure my father must have been pat jennings).. and flexibility is fine. That isnt the problem. The problem is chords need to be changed in a nanosecond.. i have to look at the frets.. place a finger.. then the next.. then the next.. yes i know thats how we all start.. but 30 years in im no further. If it takes an age to change a basic chord.. how the hell does anyone progress to shredding lol.

One exercise I find useful for flexibility is the following (and I hope I can describe it properly!)...

Four fingers over four adjacent frets, keys number them left to right from the nut;

Go up and down the strings with each each finger combination in turn, so go from bottom E string to top E string using fingers 1 and 2, then 1 and 3, 1 and 4 and so on until you've done 3 and 4 (this one is a bitch!)

Repeat at different positions on the neck. Start off slowly and speed up and your fingers loosen up.

Also, if you have big hands it might be worth seeing if you can find a guitar with a wider neck.

Hope this is a little help, good luck. Perseverance is the key.

"One exercise I find useful for flexibility is the following (and I hope I can describe it properly!)...

Four fingers over four adjacent frets, keys number them left to right from the nut;

Go up and down the strings with each each finger combination in turn, so go from bottom E string to top E string using fingers 1 and 2, then 1 and 3, 1 and 4 and so on until you've done 3 and 4 (this one is a bitch!)

Repeat at different positions on the neck. Start off slowly and speed up and your fingers loosen up.

Also, if you have big hands it might be worth seeing if you can find a guitar with a wider neck.

Hope this is a little help, good luck. Perseverance is the key."

I’m going to do this. After years of playing acoustic guitar - just rhythm and picking stuff. I’m trying to learn lead. Getting my fingers moving quickly and learning the scales is the new challenge.

By *rAitchMan  over a year ago

Diagonally Parked in a Parallel Universe

I've also been trying for years, but on the bass guitar. I think my mistake was going all show-off and buying a 5-string bass, which, if nothing else, looks good on its stand in the corner of my lounge.

I can do a basic 12-bar blues riff, and a bit of The Chain (Formula 1 theme). I also find my hands are rather inflexible.

My dad plays guitar and banjo, my brother plays electric and acoustic guitars and fronted a couple of rock covers bands, my eldest daughter is grade 6 violin and my youngest plays guitar and keyboards, so it's not as if I'm not from a musical family.

Saying that, I am in a band, but not going to say what instrument I play, as it is quite unusual and there are only a few who play what I play, as that would make it easy for people to find who I am on here.

By *orthantsblueeyesMan  over a year ago

Northampton

I can't even do guitar hero on easy

"I believe in you Doctor Prod!

That being said, learning on an electric guitar much easier I found. Plus no one can hear you screaming fuuuuuuuck offfffffff you shitfucker piece of crap goddamit when you riff on the high notes. "

That's very sweet of you, thanks. I'll be sure to send you a copy of my first album.

"One exercise I find useful for flexibility is the following (and I hope I can describe it properly!)...

Hope this is a little help, good luck. Perseverance is the key."

I think i get that.

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Good luck! Like most skills, learning an instrument is mostly about practice and persistence. (I should wipe the dust off my clarinet case, lol)

By *ryst In IsoldeWoman  over a year ago

your imagination

I play guitar, and not terribly well but I enjoy it. Boo plays beautifully and also has an incredible voice, so I tend to just shut up and listen to him

"I play guitar, and not terribly well but I enjoy it. Boo plays beautifully and also has an incredible voice, so I tend to just shut up and listen to him "

I'm jealous.

By *omesticflightMan  over a year ago

Burton-on-Trent

Just throwing my hat in the ring here cos ye never know.. -

I'm a guitarist, anyone fancy playing together around Midlands? avantgarde, brittle no-wave, sludgey droney, atonal, grunge.

Had the same problem , years and years of an acoustic sat in its case , picking it up putting it down . Half a dozen lessons here , more lessons there .. Then i saw Seasick Steve a couple of years ago and the whole 3 string stuff came to light ..

I went home found an old cheap electric and amp , turned it upside down cause im a leftie , chopped 3 strings out, made a stubby slide and away i went !!

Man i was making music in the first hour ! I found a new belief in myself and i got stuck in and started researching and its opened up a whole new world .. I found Howling Wolf , leadbelly , the amazing Fred Macdowell !! Jeez how haddnt i heard of this guy !! . 3 strings let me in to music , its three chords and the truth ! Nothing more . and now im moving back up to 6 strings open chord still sliding but now fingering too .. im even writting my own lyrics in true delta blues style

Woke up this morning my baby was gone

Got d*unk last night done something wrong

So i picked up my old guitar and sang this song

And that is it !! Slide on a 5 , 3 open . Slide down hard to the 12 every every 4 times with a little vibrato , and thats Bad to the bone !!! And you start smiling cause who dont want to play bad to the bone ?

Shane Speal is your man on youtube .. check him out .. you will play stuff in a day i promise ... Go on make some noise ..

Anyone wanna chat 3 string , hit me up ..

By *otsossieMan  over a year ago

Chez/Sheff

My fingers are too fat! Considered slide string.

"Had the same problem , years and years of an acoustic sat in its case , picking it up putting it down . Half a dozen lessons here , more lessons there .. Then i saw Seasick Steve a couple of years ago and the whole 3 string stuff came to light ..

I went home found an old cheap electric and amp , turned it upside down cause im a leftie , chopped 3 strings out, made a stubby slide and away i went !!

Man i was making music in the first hour ! I found a new belief in myself and i got stuck in and started researching and its opened up a whole new world .. I found Howling Wolf , leadbelly , the amazing Fred Macdowell !! Jeez how haddnt i heard of this guy !! . 3 strings let me in to music , its three chords and the truth ! Nothing more . and now im moving back up to 6 strings open chord still sliding but now fingering too .. im even writting my own lyrics in true delta blues style

And that is it !! Slide on a 5 , 3 open . Slide down hard to the 12 every every 4 times with a little vibrato , and thats Bad to the bone !!! And you start smiling cause who dont want to play bad to the bone ?

Shane Speal is your man on youtube .. check him out .. you will play stuff in a day i promise ... Go on make some noise ..

Anyone wanna chat 3 string , hit me up .. "

Thanks, i will, definitely. I quite like Marty Schwartz.

By *rAitchMan  over a year ago

Diagonally Parked in a Parallel Universe

"Had the same problem , years and years of an acoustic sat in its case , picking it up putting it down . Half a dozen lessons here , more lessons there .. Then i saw Seasick Steve a couple of years ago and the whole 3 string stuff came to light ..

Anyone wanna chat 3 string , hit me up .. "

You could also try a 3 string shovel

https://youtu.be/V9-ltPsbw9g

That's a very good suggestion, who says you need to play stuff studies in standard tuning? As long as you're getting enjoyment out of it, then who cares how you get there.

For example, Ricky Wilson, the original guitarist in the B52s, would take off the middle two strings, tune the bottom students lower for bass lines, and the top two strings in unison on which to play melodies.

Seasick Steve has already been mentioned and is another good example.

Bottom students?? That should of course read bottom strings

"Bottom students?? That should of course read bottom strings"

Apt for Fab. Who doesn't like to study bottoms?

"Bottom students?? That should of course read bottom strings

Apt for Fab. Who doesn't like to study bottoms? "

Yeah, but that's usually no strings

"Bottom students?? That should of course read bottom strings

Apt for Fab. Who doesn't like to study bottoms?

Yeah, but that's usually no strings "

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

To be fair though, it's probably more sensible to start with standard tuning and learn the basics there before complicating things with alternative tunings. Especially as the OP already knows some chords and riffs.

Propper lessons with a propper guitar teacher are definitely the best course of action, and practice properly EVERY DAY.

Cal

"To be fair though, it's probably more sensible to start with standard tuning and learn the basics there before complicating things with alternative tunings. Especially as the OP already knows some chords and riffs.

Propper lessons with a propper guitar teacher are definitely the best course of action, and practice properly EVERY DAY.

Cal"

Yes, please don't make things any more complicated than they already are. I've been gifted two one hour sessions with a professional teacher, it's the first time i've considered this. Finger's crossed.

» Add a new message to this topic