FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Opinionated...

Opinionated...

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *entileschi OP   Woman  over a year ago

Norwich

Hate it when people say 'I call a spade a spade' and then use their directness as an excuse for rudeness. I guess opinion becomes offensive when it shuts down the opinions of everyone else in the room.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Yeah

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Yes, there's definitely a line. Give and take, a bit of tact. You can have an opinion, but so can anyone else, and they can react.

By *ensualtouch15Man  over a year ago

ashby de la zouch

"Hate it when people say 'I call a spade a spade' and then use their directness as an excuse for rudeness. I guess opinion becomes offensive when it shuts down the opinions of everyone else in the room. "

By *eliWoman  over a year ago

I'll know it when I find it.

I think you can have strong opinions without being an utter twat. People tend to see things and their way of thinking/interpreting information as being the *right* and only way of doing things. I like people who can intelligently acknowledge others opinions while discussing their own without falling into absurd fallacies.

Norwich

"I think you can have strong opinions without being an utter twat. People tend to see things and their way of thinking/interpreting information as being the *right* and only way of doing things. I like people who can intelligently acknowledge others opinions while discussing their own without falling into absurd fallacies."

Precisely

As a gardener i know all too well that a spade is not a shovel.

"Hate it when people say 'I call a spade a spade' and then use their directness as an excuse for rudeness. I guess opinion becomes offensive when it shuts down the opinions of everyone else in the room. "

Totally agree, I find most people who ‘call a spade a spade’ are just bloody rude!

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

I agree but I equally dislike the easily offended who scream 'rude rude rude' and bare their bleeding heart but have no alternative view to the one being put.

Opinions are just that ...opinions

It's when people confuse opinions with facts....then the trouble starts

King's Crustacean

In fact...... i'd rather have the - 'I say it as I see it brigade' than 'the mortally wounded because they were disagreed with' brigade.

As long as nothing becomes personal and people use their ears and minds more than their mouths ..... ( or fingers on here ) i'm okay with hearing varied views.

A wise man once said to me, "It is my opinion that, opinions are like arse holes.... Everyone has one"

King's Crustacean

"Opinions are just that ...opinions

It's when people confuse opinions with facts....then the trouble starts"

When fiction becomes paradigmatic it solidifies into fact in my .... fact

By *hunky GentMan  over a year ago

near Colchester

There's a difference between being blunt and politeness.

I an be a real sledgehammer, but never deliberately offend anyone.

"Opinions are just that ...opinions

It's when people confuse opinions with facts....then the trouble starts

When fiction becomes paradigmatic it solidifies into fact in my .... fact "

Had to look that up....still not really sure

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I get offended fairly easily. But unlike some I don't use it to end discussion. I examine my feelings, why I'm feeling them, and what it means. And try to keep those feelings out of it.

Feeling offended isn't bad. It's how you use it.

By *nto My ArmsMan  over a year ago

Herts/London

"It is a sad truth, but we have lost the faculty of giving lovely names to things. The man who could call a spade a spade should be compelled to use one."

Norwich

""It is a sad truth, but we have lost the faculty of giving lovely names to things. The man who could call a spade a spade should be compelled to use one." "

Who said that?

By *nto My ArmsMan  over a year ago

Herts/London

Lord Henry Wooton in The Picture of Dorian Gray (Oscar Wilde)

By *abs..Woman  over a year ago

You often see those that boast about their directness on one thread then go on to berate others for being insensitive towards others feelings on the next thread. Fickle Fab

You can discuss/debate/disagree without getting shirty and behaving like a supercilious, sanctimonious arse. Unfortunately some choose to behave otherwise I like to read the comments of others and digest what is being said but as soon as it becomes personal or rude I switch off to it.

I can be quite an opinionated person, which I don't like, so I'm acutely and mindfully aware that I can sometimes cause offence. A gentle reminder that, "that is my opinion and I'm entitled to it but doesn't mean it's right or the truth", is usually enough to put me back in my place.

Fuzz

Well I call a spade a spade, but I always try and do it in a polite way. I'm not rude, and I don't hold grudges. But if I don't like something, or don't agree with something, I say it.

N x

By *ineMan  over a year ago

In cave behind a waterfall on a hill

We all have opinions. It's how we may express them that can cause hurt to another....

By *icplshropsCouple  over a year ago

Rock

It’s when that opinionated person starts to raise their voice when you challenge their facts or opinion, is when it can become rude. Everyone has a right to their opinion, as long as other people have the same right and are given it.

J

I have strong opinions and am also an utter cock womble, I also know I don't have to be I just choose to be

By *omesticflightMan  over a year ago

Burton-on-Trent

I think its telling that you get people proclaiming they're 'just being brutally honest'. Why're they never brutally compassionate, brutally cheerful, brutally brutally lateral, brutally generous

» Add a new message to this topic