FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > In praise of same sex friendships

In praise of same sex friendships

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *naswingdress OP   Woman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Women supporting each other. Men being mates. It's a valuable thing when you can find it.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I dont have male mates i have men that i know

By *orthantsblueeyesMan  over a year ago

Northampton

My 4 closest friends I've known for 15 years plus. They always have my back and I have theirs

YES!

“Maybe our girlfriends are our soulmates and guys are just people to have fun with”

I love my friends! They’re so supportive I’ve been lucky it’s the same group of us since school

By *r MoriartyMan  over a year ago

The Land that time forgot (Norfolk)

I don't really have mates, my best friend is a cat.

I love the difference between my male and female friends, the way we interact and the things we share are totally different yet I love them both equally.

"I don't really have mates, my best friend is a cat."

What’s your cat called. I love cats

I’m actually in the process of building a few friendships with men at the moment. I’ve always found it easier to have deeper friendships with women, so I’m deliberately trying to change that.

Manchester (she/her)

I've never had the best luck with female friends, but I want that to change. I very much believe in the sisterhood.

I don't have many friends, lots of acquaintances but not people I'd really call friends. I used to have two best friends (both female) and we were friends for about ten years, but unfortunately that didn't work out.

Good friends are definitely worth holding on to if you can, especially same sex friends I think.

By *litterbabeWoman  over a year ago

hiding from cock pics.

I totally believe in the Sisterhood, I support females whenever I can. I have a very close female friend, and a couple of other ones who I'm very supportive of and care about. I also have some close male friends as well. Friendships are extremely important to me and I am a very loyal friend.

By *mberWoman  over a year ago

Preston

I feel very privileged to have amazing friends of both genders.

"I've never had the best luck with female friends, but I want that to change. I very much believe in the sisterhood."

I do too and I think it's gradually getting better. I've been hurt a lot by women but still feel a lot of solidarity and very few things make me as angry as women beaters. I'll still feel a flash of the old black rage that I keep in a ch*ke hold. I wanted to get hold of Mark Field and just keep punching til the miserable mother fucker stopped kicking.

By *r MoriartyMan  over a year ago

The Land that time forgot (Norfolk)

"I don't really have mates, my best friend is a cat.

What’s your cat called. I love cats "

Casper, he likes to bite me.

One always got on better with men than women but have found two here on Fab who now mean an awful lot to me

I have a handful of female friends that I've known for just over 10 years. I don't class them as friends though, they are family. They got promoted to aunties and godmothers to my children. I have a lot of male friends as I get on better with men generally. My 'best friend' is my brother.

S x

By *zreal_rdgMan  over a year ago

Reading

"Women supporting each other. Men being mates. It's a valuable thing when you can find it."

Couldn’t agree more. I’m running a men’s group tomorrow night, within the kink community in my town.

By *eliWoman  over a year ago

I'll know it when I find it.

I've been really lucky to meet some incredible, inspirational women who I call my closest friends - they raise me up when I'm feeling a bit crap, make me laugh so hard I almost wee myself and are just brilliant friends. I love them to bits. Female friendship when it works is truly incredible.

I think this is a great thread and you should support one another regardless of gender. I'm lucky enough to have about 5 friends I could truly rely on but over a hundred acquaintances/fair weather friends that I enjoy spending time with but if I needed them for something serious they probably wouldn't have time for me . I read somewhere men in particular don't form these bonds as easily as women, wish I could find the article as it was really interesting.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

I don't think everyone is able to maintain close friendships for a variety of reasons.

I have two friends who I am closely involved with but I wouldn't be able to seek deep emotional support from either. I would turn to Mr N, my father or brother for that. I'm not comfortable in a close, platonic same sex friendship.

By *ntrigued32Couple  over a year ago

Nottingham

I have a fair few friends, most of them for over 30 years, we still play Xbox on most nights, we go out for each other’s birthday and we try to have a lads camping trip once a year. Feels good to know that just a phone call away I can get any kind of support I require. Bless em!

D.

By *issmorganWoman  over a year ago

Calderdale innit

Lucky to have some great mates,

Been friends with my bestie over 33 years.

One coming up to Yorks saturday that i only see every couple of years,but its as if we only saw each other last week.

Always hear for a chat or to listen if anyone needs a friendly ear.

Manchester (she/her)

I find I get different things from men and women, and it's different when you don't have a partner or family you can rely on.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

there is 6 of us that have known each other 35 years. We where single women when we met now all grandmas. We have been through everything together. Births, deaths, marriages, miscarriages, divorce everything life can through at you. Im the only one with mental health issues but i cant begin to tell you the support they give me. Once a year we have an official photo taken. We all have completly different personalities. My male friends dont go back anywhere near as far but i met most of them through swinging i have a good relationship with them

It’s great to have good friends, I met up with 2 of mine for lunch today and it’s been fantastic having that support as we’ve all been through so much together x

I don't really have any friends, just people I know. Most of them treat me like shit. I've already cut two of them out of my life because I was tired of them tearing me down. It's kind of heart breaking hearing your friends confirm your worst thoughts and feelings about yourself.

Manchester (she/her)

"I don't really have any friends, just people I know. Most of them treat me like shit. I've already cut two of them out of my life because I was tired of them tearing me down. It's kind of heart breaking hearing your friends confirm your worst thoughts and feelings about yourself. "

Yes, that is tough, I'm sorry.

By *ottielayWoman  over a year ago

by the bay

"I don't really have any friends, just people I know. Most of them treat me like shit. I've already cut two of them out of my life because I was tired of them tearing me down. It's kind of heart breaking hearing your friends confirm your worst thoughts and feelings about yourself. "

Then you’re better off without them

Concentrate on yourself and don’t let anyone put you down x

Absolutely although I've always formed stronger friendships with men.

By *he Mac LassWoman  over a year ago

Hefty Hideaway

My friendship circle is mixed I don't have a girls only group. However, when I switch jobs next week I'm really going to miss my work wife. The bond we have is absolutely wonderful as we are the only girls in a very male centric workforce.

By *orthern StarsCouple  over a year ago

Durham, North Yorkshire and can travel

Absoloutely. We both have a few very best friends, one best friend each in particular who we would trust implicitly. It's a lovely feeling to know you have friends who love and support you through life, no matter what, but who you can also have the best of times with and share a great sense of humour.

By *agneto.Man  over a year ago

Bham

Lone wolf here. I wouldn't say I have any friends. I do have acquaintances but no-one I'd call a close friend.

By *iger4uWoman  over a year ago

In my happy place

No... My closest friend never actually asks me how I am, or whats going on. So I say nothing about my life.

My true friend died in an accident.

Never replaced the level of friendship we had.

By *ineMan  over a year ago

In cave behind a waterfall on a hill

I have few close friends, of both sexes, and never found gender to be a reason for those friendships. I've probably acquired some trust issues which may be the reason why.

I do find it easier to talk with the women friends particularly about personal and emotional stuff. Perhaps they are simply better at that than men, or at least this one....

In my happy place

"Lone wolf here. I wouldn't say I have any friends. I do have acquaintances but no-one I'd call a close friend. "

Same... Reliable acquaintances

By *ineMan  over a year ago

In cave behind a waterfall on a hill

[Removed by poster at 30/01/20 22:12:20]

Manchester (she/her)

I often find friendships with women more challenging than with men. But there's something about the common experience we have...

"No... My closest friend never actually asks me how I am, or whats going on. So I say nothing about my life.

Never replaced the level of friendship we had. "

One of the friends I just cut out of my life was my oldest and best friend. He was the exact same as yours. Never asked how I was. He never came around to mine, I always had to go to his. He never made plans, it was always me making them.

The one time he showed any concern was when I was having a really rough time a few years ago. I won't go into detail, but I went out drinking by myself and d*unkenly told my mates in a FB group chat that I was gonna do something stupid. He came out looking for me in town to bring me home.

I guess you could say he was a true friend for doing that, but the problem is, I have self-esteem issues which are made worse because he used to treat me like shit sometimes and made me feel like I'm completely alone. He wasn't the main reason I was going to do something stupid, but he was one of them.

"I don't really have any friends, just people I know. Most of them treat me like shit. I've already cut two of them out of my life because I was tired of them tearing me down. It's kind of heart breaking hearing your friends confirm your worst thoughts and feelings about yourself.

Then you’re better off without them

Concentrate on yourself and don’t let anyone put you down x"

I'm not sure I want friends anymore to be honest. If I could cut my family out of my life too I would. It's sad and I do feel pretty fucking lonely sometimes, but I honestly think I'd rather be alone than have to deal with people.

By *ust PeachyWoman  over a year ago

Prestonish

"I've never had the best luck with female friends, but I want that to change. I very much believe in the sisterhood."

Well hopefully that’s changing?

I think most of my best friends these days are fab ladies!

By *eatrice BadinageWoman  over a year ago

In a Sparkly Dress

My immediate ring of female friends will be there for me no matter what and we all love each other regardless of whether we are dicks to each other

In my happy place

"No... My closest friend never actually asks me how I am, or whats going on. So I say nothing about my life.

One of the friends I just cut out of my life was my oldest and best friend. He was the exact same as yours. Never asked how I was. He never came around to mine, I always had to go to his. He never made plans, it was always me making them.

The one time he showed any concern was when I was having a really rough time a few years ago. I won't go into detail, but I went out drinking by myself and d*unkenly told my mates in a FB group chat that I was gonna do something stupid. He came out looking for me in town to bring me home.

I guess you could say he was a true friend for doing that, but the problem is, I have self-esteem issues which are made worse because he used to treat me like shit sometimes and made me feel like I'm completely alone. He wasn't the main reason I was going to do something stupid, but he was one of them. "

Look into some conselling and take up a hobby.. A short night class for a few weeks. Meet more people that way. It helps the alone feelings.

In my happy place

"I often find friendships with women more challenging than with men. But there's something about the common experience we have... "

I dont have much in common with the friends i have now.

I'd love some close female friends.

In fact I'd like close friends of any sex.

I know lots of people and class some of them as friends but nothing close. I'm moving very soon so maybe its a new start.

By *abarellaWoman  over a year ago

Warminster

I dont feel the need to surround my self with people. I'm very self sufficient.

I'm happy with acquaintances

Manchester (she/her)

"I've never had the best luck with female friends, but I want that to change. I very much believe in the sisterhood.

I think most of my best friends these days are fab ladies! "

Yes, it certainly is There is something about this funny old world, isn't there?

By *nabelle21Woman  over a year ago

B38

Is praise the same as friendship...

No..not for me

"Is praise the same as friendship...

No..not for me"

I'm not sure that's what the OP meant.

I think it's more about the importance of same sex friendship but I could be wrong.

Prestonish

"I've never had the best luck with female friends, but I want that to change. I very much believe in the sisterhood.

Yes, it certainly is There is something about this funny old world, isn't there?"

The way I think of it is - we already know each other’s biggest, dirty secret (as far as the outside world’s concerned anyway) - so we tend to be far more open with each other about all the other things in our lives too!

I think that in the swinging world we make close bonds quite quickly because we have a commonality that the real world doesn’t.

That’s kinda how I see it anyway! X

Manchester (she/her)

No..not for me

I think it's more about the importance of same sex friendship but I could be wrong. "

Yes. Friends with people of the same sex are valuable. Discuss. Sort of thing

Yes, it certainly is There is something about this funny old world, isn't there?

The way I think of it is - we already know each other’s biggest, dirty secret (as far as the outside world’s concerned anyway) - so we tend to be far more open with each other about all the other things in our lives too!

I think that in the swinging world we make close bonds quite quickly because we have a commonality that the real world doesn’t.

That’s kinda how I see it anyway! X"

This is a brilliant way of looking at things. X

Prestonish

This is a brilliant way of looking at things. X"

Thanks lovely. So where are you moving to? Anywhere near Prestonish?

I guess you could say he was a true friend for doing that, but the problem is, I have self-esteem issues which are made worse because he used to treat me like shit sometimes and made me feel like I'm completely alone. He wasn't the main reason I was going to do something stupid, but he was one of them.

Look into some conselling and take up a hobby.. A short night class for a few weeks. Meet more people that way. It helps the alone feelings. "

It's weird, but I'm quite introverted, I like my solitude. But I feel like people forget that I exist and that's when I get lonely. If I see friends doing something together, something that I myself would enjoy doing and they know that I would, I feel left out.

I'm perfectly happy spending time alone writing, but every once in a while, it'd be nice to have my friends and family ask me if I wanna play a game of pool (I have a pool table in my garage, it's not like we'd have to go far) or come and watch a film with them downstairs or play Monopoly together.

I even brought it up once before and my sister actually said ''you're always in your room, whenever we ask you if you wanna come out for a meal you say no''. I say no because I've probably already had my tea.

Thanks lovely. So where are you moving to? Anywhere near Prestonish? "

To London, I'm moving in with Ash. X

Prestonish

To London, I'm moving in with Ash. X"

Ah ok. Well you’ll be grand - and some of the loveliest fab ladies I know live in them there parts!

B38

No..not for me

I think it's more about the importance of same sex friendship but I could be wrong. "

In that case, friendship, true friendship is very important. I don't have many true friends...I have a couple of them and I love them dearly. I have a few acquaintances. I am lucky that my life is filled with good people.

I can't imagine feeling/being alone or isolated.

I know that their are many lonely people out there who feel that way.

Manchester (she/her)

That’s kinda how I see it anyway! X"

Yes. And I think there's a wavelength and acceptance that isn't always there in the rest of life. It's something I've always struggled with when trying to bond with people. Any sign of my eccentricity and they're off. Sadly, I'm eccentric.

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

None of my friends live near, but that has always been the case.

There is a group of 10 of us spread all around the country from school, known each other for 38 years. We try to meet up once or twice a year and it’s like we’ve never been apart, but always on the end of the phone if needed. Looking forward to seeing a few of them at the end of February for a non wedding party.

Then there’s a select number of people I’ve met through working life (men and women) we get together occasionally and it’s always a great night, known most for 20 years plus.

Then there are my ‘brothers’ a group of men I’ve known for the last four years, all very different in characters. They’ve kept me sane and laughing when I didn’t think I could, miss seeing them but will catch up with them real soon.

To London, I'm moving in with Ash. X

Ah ok. Well you’ll be grand - and some of the loveliest fab ladies I know live in them there parts! "

Yep, I know them and very much agree. Xx

B38

Apologies OP..I completely misread the title ..hence my comment

Manchester (she/her)

"Apologies OP..I completely misread the title ..hence my comment "

No worries

B38

"Apologies OP..I completely misread the title ..hence my comment

No worries "

Thanks my lovely

I don’t have male friends so I miss out on that different type chat.

Even in work I’m the only male on my unit with 35 females so OMG ??

I have tried to join things to make male friends but just doesn’t work, even old school mates I struggle to relate to as most have families kids and other things. I do my specialist job, I am a gaming geek who also builds Lego and collects Star Wars things and it also a performer of music playing my own songs at gigs am recording them.

I always hope even on here can chat to guys and have banter etc but nope lol

And when I have had 1 or 2 I used get rejected for meets as women would msg said no your gay as have male friends on page lol

B38

"I don’t have male friends so I miss out on that different type chat.

I have tried to join things to make male friends but just doesn’t work, even old school mates I struggle to relate to as most have families kids and other things. I do my specialist job, I am a gaming geek who also builds Lego and collects Star Wars things and it also a performer of music playing my own songs at gigs am recording them.

And when I have had 1 or 2 I used get rejected for meets as women would msg said no your gay as have male friends on page lol"

You can hide your friends list.

Doesnt sharing and playing your music give the opportunity to meet guys as friends. I hope you can find and build some male friend relationships x

"I don’t have male friends so I miss out on that different type chat.

And when I have had 1 or 2 I used get rejected for meets as women would msg said no your gay as have male friends on page lol

You can hide your friends list.

Doesnt sharing and playing your music give the opportunity to meet guys as friends. I hope you can find and build some male friend relationships x"

I have people I see at gigs I say hi to but I have an overwhelming shyness which only leaves when performing so struggle.

Just be nice speak to people similar that ain’t partner or people just talk cos work together.

I probably sound really sad now lol

» Add a new message to this topic