FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Mobile Web App feedback > More Accurate Location???

More Accurate Location???

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ieman74 OP   Man  over a year ago

Northwich

Can’t help thinking that in this day & age there must be a better way of determining Location and Surrounding Area.

I’m based in Mid-Cheshire, a CW9 postcode, and I am closer to Knutsford & Warrington than I am to Nantwich or Crewe, but for me to search by location or see local feeds of people nearby, I end up constantly having to swap the postcode in my account settings.

Surely there must be a way for the Developers to change this, so you can put your postcode in and it searches a radius (5, 10, 20 miles) from that postcode.

Thoughts?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ustus93Couple  over a year ago

watton

I agree, our postcode throws us at Ipswich but that miles from where I'd like to think there are closer meets.

By *astle321Man  over a year ago

pershore

Even worse when somebody puts their location as London or Birmingham or "Somewhere near you"

By *astle321Man  over a year ago

pershore

I find that if I do a search for people near me and then drive for an hour and do another I get results from the original location and am unable to refresh.

The only way I can make it work is to turn the phone off and then on again.

By *ohn8210tCouple  over a year ago

Warwick

Our postcode always brings up people from 30-50 miles away but never anyone nearby.

By *cidcassual88Man  over a year ago

Glasshoughton

Its not a real live who's in your area its just like a search on here !

By *va_and_IanCouple  over a year ago

Vera Playa, Mojácar, Almeria

Evan worse...we live in Spain. We show up correctly in the mobile GPS who is near but shows us in Birmingham I'm the search because I used to live in Birmingham. There is no option to out a Spanish town as an address.

By *pen2UMan  over a year ago

Telford

100% this! Too many location errors knowing there are plentiful of people looking around in YOUR area. Not miles from your area

By *abudhabidooMan 50 weeks ago

Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Surrey

"Evan worse...we live in Spain. We show up correctly in the mobile GPS who is near but shows us in Birmingham I'm the search because I used to live in Birmingham. There is no option to out a Spanish town as an address."

This - but even worse as I live in Abu Dhabi / Dubai. I know there’s lots of Fabbers out here, but unless they show up as ‘who’s near’, they are all going unnoticed.

By *exyman20142014Man 50 weeks ago

Hastings

I live in East Sussex (Hastings)and I went to london for the weekend. Now when I search who's near me just show london. Why isn't my location updated?

By *ucka39Man 50 weeks ago

Newcastle

"I live in East Sussex (Hastings)and I went to london for the weekend. Now when I search who's near me just show london. Why isn't my location updated?"

It's due to your device history so clear past location history

By *an1978Woman 45 weeks ago

GONE/TIMEOUT (No DMs please)

I'm near a Postcode border where northwales becomes midwales.

My postcode is LL but

LL is Llandudno -almost 2 hours north of where I am.

I'm 10 mins from SY postcode but if i change to a postcode down the road, the SY is Shrewsbury? Which is a good hour and a half or more away.

So the local feed is useless to me.

I just hotlist the locals

By *rsPricklePantsWoman 45 weeks ago

Room 237 at The Overlook Hotel, Suffolk

"Even worse when somebody puts their location as London or Birmingham or "Somewhere near you""

Why? You only have to look on their profile to see distance if your a site supporter

By *ealitybitesMan 45 weeks ago

Belfast

If I set my search parameters above 40 miles the majority of profiles that show up are in Scotland or the North of England.

If I want to search Ireland I have to change my location from UK to Ireland and that search is by county only as it's not set up for postcodes.

By *ugarkayano200Man 44 weeks ago

Northampton

Why is Northampton west Midlands?

By (user no longer on site) 44 weeks ago

This is just the way services like the Google and Bing Maps APIs work. If using GPS you can get an accurate distance but using the first half of a postcode they tend to just report back the geographical centre of the region. Also if the site just uses something like 'neary_by_update_list = user_profile_postcode' then it's just pulling whatever other's have put in as their postcode.

Chose a postcode for whatever suits you best or use the search profiles and specify the distance rather than the updates and see who's near list.

By (user no longer on site) 44 weeks ago

The location has always been an issue on the site.

Leeds in not in the North East for instance, I think the web designers need to have a look at the while location issue.

By *inkygorillaMan 44 weeks ago

Cheadle

I have noticed that when using mobile site on laptop the location jumps to be that of your Internet provider.

By *ophieslutTV/TS 43 weeks ago

Central

"I'm near a Postcode border where northwales becomes midwales.

My postcode is LL but

LL is Llandudno -almost 2 hours north of where I am.

I'm 10 mins from SY postcode but if i change to a postcode down the road, the SY is Shrewsbury? Which is a good hour and a half or more away.

So the local feed is useless to me.

I just hotlist the locals "

I think fab uses the Letters and numbers, the first half of a postcode, not just the Letters, eg the SY you gave.

I border a selection of postcode towns but Fab pulls them all in, if I do an advanced search, eg for within 20 miles of the 1st half of my postcode.

By *atureGuy62Man 43 weeks ago

DE7

"Can’t help thinking that in this day & age there must be a better way of determining Location and Surrounding Area.

I’m based in Mid-Cheshire, a CW9 postcode, and I am closer to Knutsford & Warrington than I am to Nantwich or Crewe, but for me to search by location or see local feeds of people nearby, I end up constantly having to swap the postcode in my account settings.

Surely there must be a way for the Developers to change this, so you can put your postcode in and it searches a radius (5, 10, 20 miles) from that postcode.

Thoughts? "

If people care then they use people near me which is accurate, if you're a member that is.

By *atureGuy62Man 43 weeks ago

DE7

"Can’t help thinking that in this day & age there must be a better way of determining Location and Surrounding Area.

Thoughts? "

Then again if you hide your profile it won't matter.

» Add a new message to this topic