FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Mobile Web App feedback > Password bug

Password bug

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

If you get your password wrong the subsequent attempts are displayed in the password box rather than the letters being starred.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I get the same, on a Samsung Galaxy S6

ITs the same on an iPhone. I noticed that happening a few years ago also. Or maybe it always has.

By *ubiousOatcakeMan  over a year ago

Aberdeenshire

You’ll find that happening more and more often. Unless someone else could be looking at your screen, starred out letters are just an inconvenience. It’s probably a design choice in this instance, so you can be sure you’re typing it correctly.

"You’ll find that happening more and more often. Unless someone else could be looking at your screen, starred out letters are just an inconvenience. It’s probably a design choice in this instance, so you can be sure you’re typing it correctly."

A design choice to show a password in clear text? What fucking idiot of a designer ever thought that would be a good idea????

Aberdeenshire

Well, as I said, it is only an issue if somebody other than you can see your screen. I think most people would agree that it would be unwise to sign into Fab while anyone else (other than maybe your partner) can see what you are doing.

Think about it. How often are you entering a password with somebody watching what you’re doing? Rarely.

Security experts are recommending defaulting to showing text because people incorrectly entering their passwords creates a lot of unnecessary work. However, generally, where it is removed, you’ll see the option to select it, for those signing in while they’re out in public.

But, I really, really don’t recommend logging into Fab while the general public can look. At your screen.

"Well, as I said, it is only an issue if somebody other than you can see your screen. I think most people would agree that it would be unwise to sign into Fab while anyone else (other than maybe your partner) can see what you are doing.

Think about it. How often are you entering a password with somebody watching what you’re doing? Rarely.

Security experts are recommending defaulting to showing text because people incorrectly entering their passwords creates a lot of unnecessary work. However, generally, where it is removed, you’ll see the option to select it, for those signing in while they’re out in public.

But, I really, really don’t recommend logging into Fab while the general public can look. At your screen."

Can you give me some examples of security experts recommend we stop password masking?

Aberdeenshire

“I would be happy to see it go.” Schneier on Security https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2017/07/password_maskin.html

“Masking passwords doesn't defend against any likely threat, causes user frustration, and drives them to pick poor passwords.” ZDNet http://www.zdnet.com/article/we-need-to-stop-masking-passwords/

“Let's clean up the Web's cobwebs and remove stuff that's there only because it's always been there.” Nielsen Norman Group https://www.nngroup.com/articles/stop-password-masking/

No because the second time you enter it you are usually do careful that anyone watching could see the keystrokes anyway!

Plus I agree, fab where your screen can be seen is dangerous!

By *urreyloverMan  over a year ago

Guildford

It is not just that it is displayed in free text, it then also stored in the phone's dictionary in free text (not even hashed like stored passwords). My fab password is unique and after having to re enter it on fab, it then came up as a quick entry choice for a subsequent dialogue box. The user interface does not recognise it as a password, though the fab server clearly does.

"It is not just that it is displayed in free text, it then also stored in the phone's dictionary in free text (not even hashed like stored passwords). My fab password is unique and after having to re enter it on fab, it then came up as a quick entry choice for a subsequent dialogue box. The user interface does not recognise it as a password, though the fab server clearly does."

This ^^^^

Aberdeenshire

"It is not just that it is displayed in free text, it then also stored in the phone's dictionary in free text"

Incorrect.

To be honest though the biggest issue with fab passwords are that they're not case sensitive.

Try this is your password contains any uppercase letters type it in all in lower case

By *JandTheBearCouple  over a year ago

Hartlepool

"To be honest though the biggest issue with fab passwords are that they're not case sensitive.

Try this is your password contains any uppercase letters type it in all in lower case "

Holy f***, just verified this

The implications of this are mind blowing

1) the passwords are not hashed or 'hashed' in a very non-secure manner

2) if they are not hashed that means they are stored in plaintext and therefore insecure by design

3) do not meet th new GDPR regulations

Oh dear

"To be honest though the biggest issue with fab passwords are that they're not case sensitive.

Try this is your password contains any uppercase letters type it in all in lower case

2) if they are not hashed that means they are stored in plaintext and therefore insecure by design

Oh dear "

Been like it for years.

Oh dear "

They could be hashed by converting them to lowercase before hashing and then convert entered passwords to lowercase before checking them.

Oh dear

They could be hashed by converting them to lowercase before hashing and then convert entered passwords to lowercase before checking them."

Yes they could be but still a terrible thing as it weakens the passwords you can use enormously

Aberdeenshire

Yup. I just checked, and converting my password to all lower case means the time it would take to crack it dropped from 3,718,234,074,664,426,000 years to a measly 10,944,496,593,918,416 years.

We’re doomed!

By *.gerri.xTV/TS  over a year ago

North west

[Removed by poster at 31/03/18 00:23:06]

By *.gerri.xTV/TS  over a year ago

North west

"

Can you give me some examples of security experts recommend we stop password masking?"

"“I would be happy to see it go.” Schneier on Security https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2017/07/password_maskin.html

“Masking passwords doesn't defend against any likely threat, causes user frustration, and drives them to pick poor passwords.” ZDNet http://www.zdnet.com/article/we-need-to-stop-masking-passwords/

“Let's clean up the Web's cobwebs and remove stuff that's there only because it's always been there.” Nielsen Norman Group https://www.nngroup.com/articles/stop-password-masking/"

Pwned

By *urreyloverMan  over a year ago

Guildford

"It is not just that it is displayed in free text, it then also stored in the phone's dictionary in free text

Incorrect."

When my password is used nowhere else, it appeared as a personal dictionary entry on my phone after entering it correctly after a log-in error.

"

Can you give me some examples of security experts recommend we stop password masking?

“I would be happy to see it go.” Schneier on Security https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2017/07/password_maskin.html

“Let's clean up the Web's cobwebs and remove stuff that's there only because it's always been there.” Nielsen Norman Group https://www.nngroup.com/articles/stop-password-masking/

Pwned "

Oh yes 1 example and 1 persons opinion must mean we should do it and all security experts agree, yawn

"Yup. I just checked, and converting my password to all lower case means the time it would take to crack it dropped from 3,718,234,074,664,426,000 years to a measly 10,944,496,593,918,416 years.

We’re doomed!"

That's based on brute forcing whereas a dictionary attack is more likely and this way of storing passwords makes my dictionary much smaller.

» Add a new message to this topic