FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Mobile Web App feedback > Subject box limit

Subject box limit

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *p2norfolkngood OP   Man  over a year ago

Norwich

Whilst you can type a very long subject to a message it then gets cut off seems to be a 29 character limit so why not make the 2 match?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *s Fussy BiatchWoman  over a year ago

Are you wanting to put the whole message as the subject to save people bothering to even open a message?

Norwich

"Are you wanting to put the whole message as the subject to save people bothering to even open a message? "

No but 29 characters isn't a lot and then the subject gets cut off and looks daft, it's a bug they should fix it

How many characters should it be? Doesn't need to be a full sentence for a subject tbh

Norwich

"How many characters should it be? Doesn't need to be a full sentence for a subject tbh"

No but that's not the point the the point is that you can type in as much as you like and then it gets cut off

Yes because you've hit the limit, there's only so much that shows in a subject line when you receive a message.

You can put as much as you like in the actual message, that's what it's there for.

By *ENGUYMan  over a year ago

Hull

"Are you wanting to put the whole message as the subject to save people bothering to even open a message?

No but 29 characters isn't a lot and then the subject gets cut off and looks daft, it's a bug they should fix it"

But it's not a Bug! The Subject Line is purely for a Subject, not your Life History!

Use that space to describe something, e.g., a meet, to lure someone in to read your profile.

By *anky_PankyWoman  over a year ago

Filthy Fuckeryville

"Whilst you can type a very long subject to a message it then gets cut off seems to be a 29 character limit so why not make the 2 match?"

I've been on this site donkeys years and never even known there was a character limit for subject lines. Why would I? I put message content into messages like everyone else!?

Norwich

"Whilst you can type a very long subject to a message it then gets cut off seems to be a 29 character limit so why not make the 2 match?

I've been on this site donkeys years and never even known there was a character limit for subject lines. Why would I? I put message content into messages like everyone else!? "

Never said it was about putting the while message in the subject but if you try and make the subject line more catchy than just hi there is a limit and it gets cut off.

Regardless of an opinion on if I should do that or not it's a bug with the site that could be easily fixed

Norwich

"Are you wanting to put the whole message as the subject to save people bothering to even open a message?

No but 29 characters isn't a lot and then the subject gets cut off and looks daft, it's a bug they should fix it

But it's not a Bug! The Subject Line is purely for a Subject, not your Life History!

Use that space to describe something, e.g., a meet, to lure someone in to read your profile."

The fact that you can type in more characters than is actually displayed once the message is sent means it is a bug

Norwich

"Yes because you've hit the limit, there's only so much that shows in a subject line when you receive a message.

You can put as much as you like in the actual message, that's what it's there for. "

That's the point though you can also type as much as you like in the subject box and then it gets cut off.

I've typed perfectly sensible subject lines on a message only to have the last couple of characters cut off.

If there's a limit on what is displayed then the box should only allow you to type that much it's simple ui design really

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Yes because you've hit the limit, there's only so much that shows in a subject line when you receive a message.

You can put as much as you like in the actual message, that's what it's there for.

That's the point though you can also type as much as you like in the subject box and then it gets cut off.

I've typed perfectly sensible subject lines on a message only to have the last couple of characters cut off.

If there's a limit on what is displayed then the box should only allow you to type that much it's simple ui design really"

It's a bug, one of many on the site. Don't hold your breath on anything being fixed though.

Filthy Fuckeryville

"Whilst you can type a very long subject to a message it then gets cut off seems to be a 29 character limit so why not make the 2 match?

I've been on this site donkeys years and never even known there was a character limit for subject lines. Why would I? I put message content into messages like everyone else!?

Never said it was about putting the while message in the subject but if you try and make the subject line more catchy than just hi there is a limit and it gets cut off.

Regardless of an opinion on if I should do that or not it's a bug with the site that could be easily fixed"

Ok it's a bug, I hear ya.

But it hardly matters is the point!? So rarely would you put a message subject so long and in truth I'd find messages with a huge subject matter off putting so I'd probably never open them! Women get enough messages and crap on here that a diatribe in a subject line is a good enough reason to skip that message in truth

By *ing-louisMan  over a year ago

Merthyr Tydfil

Just put less in the subject line. Problem solved

Norwich

"Just put less in the subject line. Problem solved "

So by that logic no one should ever being up an issue that they find with the site?

It's a bug I'm highlighting whether you agree or not is not relevant

Can't believe the length of this thread..A limited number of characters is standard and universally accepted in most Titles. Not a problem for me.

Norwich

"Can't believe the length of this thread..A limited number of characters is standard and universally accepted in most Titles. Not a problem for me."

Yes and they would be fine if it was restricted when you type the subject but it is not it's enforced once you send the message and then truncates it, seems to be 29 characters so if I'm typing more than just Hi it can happen.

Again its a big this is the feedback section

Filthy Fuckeryville

Whoever knew someone could have such a problem with something that nobody has given a flying fook about in the years the site has been running.

I have been on here since virtually the start of the site and neither known - or cared and the OP's insistence its an issue baffles me....

Norwich

"Whoever knew someone could have such a problem with something that nobody has given a flying fook about in the years the site has been running.

I have been on here since virtually the start of the site and neither known - or cared and the OP's insistence its an issue baffles me.... "

Keep on scrolling then just because you don't care doesn't mean I shouldn't and it would be nice to see a simple bug fixed shouldn't be too hard to do.

Filthy Fuckeryville

"Whoever knew someone could have such a problem with something that nobody has given a flying fook about in the years the site has been running.

I have been on here since virtually the start of the site and neither known - or cared and the OP's insistence its an issue baffles me....

Keep on scrolling then just because you don't care doesn't mean I shouldn't and it would be nice to see a simple bug fixed shouldn't be too hard to do."

But looking at the thread there is only you has a problem with it is my point

Norwich

Keep on scrolling then just because you don't care doesn't mean I shouldn't and it would be nice to see a simple bug fixed shouldn't be too hard to do.

But looking at the thread there is only you has a problem with it is my point "

It's not a case of having a problem it's a case of highlighting a bug that one found in the hope that it will be fixed

By *tingly ByronMan  over a year ago

In a town Fab forgot

I don't think I've ever written anywhere near 29 characters in the subject line.

How many characters do you want OP?

Because I'm willing to bet if you said 35 someone else would want 45.

It's not broke, no need to fix it.

Norwich

"I don't think I've ever written anywhere near 29 characters in the subject line.

It's not broke, no need to fix it."

It is broke ffs that's the whole point, if it's going to cut off the number of characters then only allow that many in the first place that's simple UI design and once the actual limit is enforced then it doesn't matter if I want 35 or you want 135 just only allow x amount of characters to be typed in the first place

This really isn't a conversation about how much I want to type or you want to type it's a bloody bug and would be nice to see something that's broken fixed.

In a town Fab forgot

"I don't think I've ever written anywhere near 29 characters in the subject line.

It is broke ffs that's the whole point, if it's going to cut off the number of characters then only allow that many in the first place that's simple UI design and once the actual limit is enforced then it doesn't matter if I want 35 or you want 135 just only allow x amount of characters to be typed in the first place

This really isn't a conversation about how much I want to type or you want to type it's a bloody bug and would be nice to see something that's broken fixed."

Maybe it's not a bug, maybe 29 is the limit?

Who knows? All I know is, if it is a bug, it's one that's unlikely to affect me or judging by the replies on this thread, the vast majority of people.

As many have said, what on earth would anyone be writing to need 29 characters in a subject line?

If it's a bug, it's one that only you (in the context of this post) seem to be bothered by.

'\/'

Norwich

This really isn't a conversation about how much I want to type or you want to type it's a bloody bug and would be nice to see something that's broken fixed.

Maybe it's not a bug, maybe 29 is the limit?

Who knows? All I know is, if it is a bug, it's one that's unlikely to affect me or judging by the replies on this thread, the vast majority of people.

As many have said, what on earth would anyone be writing to need 29 characters in a subject line?

If it's a bug, it's one that only you (in the context of this post) seem to be bothered by.

'\/'"

If you actually bothered to read what I put, the subject line allows you to type in as many characters as you like but when you send the message only the first 29 or so are included so longer subject lines get cut off.

That means it's a bug and wether it affects you or not is irrelevant this is the forum section for feedback on the site therefore I'm providing feedback that I found a bug.

I couldn't care less if you think it's only me

By *ing-louisMan  over a year ago

Merthyr Tydfil

Tbf, you can continue hitting the keys all day if you want to, but 29 is all that it'll show. Just dont get so worked up and type less.

In a town Fab forgot

[Removed by poster at 15/07/19 09:49:23]

Norwich

"Tbf, you can continue hitting the keys all day if you want to, but 29 is all that it'll show. Just dont get so worked up and type less. "

Yet again that's not the point this is the feedback section and it's and issue that could be fixed.

I've type a sensible subject to be different to just hi etc... And then it got cut off all its an issue that the site could fix

In a town Fab forgot

"Tbf, you can continue hitting the keys all day if you want to, but 29 is all that it'll show. Just dont get so worked up and type less.

Yet again that's not the point this is the feedback section and it's and issue that could be fixed.

I've type a sensible subject to be different to just hi etc... And then it got cut off all its an issue that the site could fix"

Make up your mind, either it's a general bug, or it's something that bugs you.

You keep saying it's a bug and nothing to do with what you want to type.

But you just said "I've type a sensible subject to be different to just hi etc.." which sounds like it's just affecting you.

If you typed less in the subject box it wouldn't bother you......

Off site, when you send an email, how much do you type in the subject box?

By * Plus ECouple  over a year ago

The South

"Whilst you can type a very long subject to a message it then gets cut off seems to be a 29 character limit so why not make the 2 match?"

Make what 2 match, the subject line and the message content pane?

Why on earth would you want them the same?

Can you clarify?

M

You know the limit is 29. Keep within the 29.

Unless of course you are typing:

"Please read the email below. I know you haven't even had the chance to look beyond the subject but I am hung like Grand National Winner, can hold my breath longer than a whale and have the manual dexterity of Rick Wakeman on an epic keyboard solo"

Norwich

Can you clarify?

M"

No as I said you can type a long subject line to a message but when you hit send the subject gets cut off at around 29 characters that's the whole point and whys its a bug

The South

Can you clarify?

M

No as I said you can type a long subject line to a message but when you hit send the subject gets cut off at around 29 characters that's the whole point and whys its a bug"

I understand what you think the bug is.

I don't understand what you mean by making "the 2 match".

2 what?

[Removed by poster at 15/07/19 15:55:53]

Can you clarify?

M

No as I said you can type a long subject line to a message but when you hit send the subject gets cut off at around 29 characters that's the whole point and whys its a bug

2 what? "

I assume he means so it won't let you type any more than the 29 character limit, the 'bug' is that it will let you write your essay as a subject but it only sends a 29 character subject line to the recipient

The South

Can you clarify?

M

2 what?

I assume he means so it won't let you type any more than the 29 character limit, the 'bug' is that it will let you write your essay as a subject but it only sends a 29 character subject line to the recipient "

With luck the op will clarify.

Everyone here picking holes in the op even though he is 100% right that it is a bug. It doesn't matter how unimportant you think it is when it is (yet another) site feature that doesn't work properly. Further more he has posted in the site feedback section which exists specifically for people to give their feedback and report problem.

For everyone wondering why the op care's, why do you care...? How can you be so hypocritical to have a go at him whilst at the same time posting and moaning with only your personal opinion for justification.

Is it fine for you to have an opinion but not him? Turn it in.

For what it's worth I agree with the op and the fact is that this, and the numerous other bugs on the site are simply shoddy and lazy as well as annoying.

It’s not a bug. A bug a bug is something that functions not how it was designed to do.

The Subject box was designed to have a character limit (30 characters is a reasonable standard limit used in web development for such things).

For uniformity the subject line could not let you physically type more characters than it can send, but again it’s not a bug.

In a town Fab forgot

"It’s not a bug. A bug a bug is something that functions not how it was designed to do.

The Subject box was designed to have a character limit (30 characters is a reasonable standard limit used in web development for such things).

For uniformity the subject line could not let you physically type more characters than it can send, but again it’s not a bug.

"

Well explained, thanks.

Makes perfect sense.

"It’s not a bug. A bug a bug is something that functions not how it was designed to do.

"

Are you say that the entry box letting you type more than you are allowed and then deleting some of your message, is working 'properly'?

It is simple, the entry box does not correlate with they display box. Nobody purposely designed it like that, they just didn't programme it properly. It's a bug

Technically it is a bug. Does it need to be fixed?

Most seem to be able to work around it.

By *heRainManMan  over a year ago

Warrington & Glasgow

"It’s not a bug. A bug a bug is something that functions not how it was designed to do."
You're suggesting that the message form was DESIGNED to throw away part of the message subject?

That seems extremely unlikely!

or just start over?

"Whilst you can type a very long subject to a message it then gets cut off seems to be a 29 character limit so why not make the 2 match? or just start over? "

Sorry you mean per message?

By *eeleyWoman  over a year ago

Dudley

"Technically it is a bug. Does it need to be fixed?

Most seem to be able to work around it."

"Technically it is a bug. Does it need to be fixed?

Most seem to be able to work around it."

Most things can be worked around so by that logic why should we bother fixing anything?

» Add a new message to this topic