FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > New Zealand > What to do in NZ

What to do in NZ

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ill74 OP   Man  over a year ago

New forest area

Hi all

Will be in New Zealand for a few weeks from around end of October. Looking for things to do..

Any advice appreciated. Both naughty, and tourism related!

Will be based around auckland area.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *r SurprisingMan  over a year ago

Manchester

Tourism related...Get yourself over to the Coromandal peninsula... from Coromandal town across to Whitianga is awesome scenery and down to Whangamata... also not far from Auckland is Waikheki island.. another place worth visiting

Swinging related - quiet mate.. but there are a few contacts to be made

New forest area

"Tourism related...Get yourself over to the Coromandal peninsula... from Coromandal town across to Whitianga is awesome scenery and down to Whangamata... also not far from Auckland is Waikheki island.. another place worth visiting

Swinging related - quiet mate.. but there are a few contacts to be made"

Brilliant, appreciate that. Have been before, a long time ago. But only to the North Island. So looking forward to going back and seeing more of it.

By *loudF7Man  over a year ago

South East

Depends on we're you are going, on the North Island, Lake Tapuo, Rotaroua and very cultural, Piha which is West of Auckland is a beautiful beach, Gibson for the sunrise, also the northern part of the North Island is beautiful I belive 90 mile beach its called

Partying wise, Pony Club and showgirls and great spots and the viaduct area in Auckland is full o f great bars and restaurants

With regards the South Island Wanaka was simply stunning as well as milford Sounds, I found kiakora at the top of the south island lovely as well buts that is a quiet town

It's a Fantastic country and everyone is super chilled and friendly

New forest area

"Depends on we're you are going, on the North Island, Lake Tapuo, Rotaroua and very cultural, Piha which is West of Auckland is a beautiful beach, Gibson for the sunrise, also the northern part of the North Island is beautiful I belive 90 mile beach its called

Partying wise, Pony Club and showgirls and great spots and the viaduct area in Auckland is full o f great bars and restaurants

With regards the South Island Wanaka was simply stunning as well as milford Sounds, I found kiakora at the top of the south island lovely as well buts that is a quiet town

It's a Fantastic country and everyone is super chilled and friendly "

Thanks. I stayed with a friend by Lake Taupo (I think?). And did a skydive in Taupo as well. Rotaroua, the Geysers, done. Not been to the 90 mile beach though.

Am I better off joining a tour for the South Island, or just hit 2 or 3 places?

I'll check out those places, cheers.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Depends on we're you are going, on the North Island, Lake Tapuo, Rotaroua and very cultural, Piha which is West of Auckland is a beautiful beach, Gibson for the sunrise, also the northern part of the North Island is beautiful I belive 90 mile beach its called

It's a Fantastic country and everyone is super chilled and friendly "

there next year to explore the North Island- cannot wait.

New forest area

It's a Fantastic country and everyone is super chilled and friendly

there next year to explore the North Island- cannot wait."

From what I saw of it when I was there, you'll love it.

"Hi all

Will be in New Zealand for a few weeks from around end of October. Looking for things to do..

Will be based around auckland area."

First of all....you're a very lucky man! It's a beautiful country and as one of the posts above recorded, found everyone to be super chilled and very friendly.

If you've seen any of the Lord of the Rings or Hobbit films I can recommend a trip to Matamata and tour the Hobbiton set, very interesting and it's run very well.

Can recommend Napier and the Hawkes Bay Area. Napier amazing to walkround. Some fantastic wine from that part of the country as well.

Personally liked Windy Wellington a lot, good vibe and some good eateries.

Sadly didn't see as much of the South Island as we wanted but if get the chance, drive over Arthur's Pass between Christchurch and Greymouth...just stunning and I believe that's not even touching the scenery further South.

If you're into museums the Auckland Museum is excellent....takes a good day to look around though. Also we went to kill some time before a flight, to the RNZAF museum at Wigram just outside Christchurch and it was brilliant....really informative and some great planes to get up close to. They have an army of old boys who volunteer to take visitors on tours and these were splendid friendly chaps, couldn't be nicer.

Finally would agree about Waiheke Island. Lucky kiwis have this place 40 minutes away from the centre of Auckland; would be like a south sea paradise off the coast of Southend. It's a bit "discovered" and monied these days but is still a beautiful island.

Good luck and have a great time.

New forest area

"Hi all

First of all....you're a very lucky man! It's a beautiful country and as one of the posts above recorded, found everyone to be super chilled and very friendly.

If you've seen any of the Lord of the Rings or Hobbit films I can recommend a trip to Matamata and tour the Hobbiton set, very interesting and it's run very well.

Can recommend Napier and the Hawkes Bay Area. Napier amazing to walkround. Some fantastic wine from that part of the country as well.

Sadly didn't see as much of the South Island as we wanted but if get the chance, drive over Arthur's Pass between Christchurch and Greymouth...just stunning and I believe that's not even touching the scenery further South.

If you're into museums the Auckland Museum is excellent....takes a good day to look around though. Also we went to kill some time before a flight, to the RNZAF museum at Wigram just outside Christchurch and it was brilliant....really informative and some great planes to get up close to. They have an army of old boys who volunteer to take visitors on tours and these were splendid friendly chaps, couldn't be nicer.

Finally would agree about Waiheke Island. Lucky kiwis have this place 40 minutes away from the centre of Auckland; would be like a south sea paradise off the coast of Southend. It's a bit "discovered" and monied these days but is still a beautiful island.

Good luck and have a great time. "

Thanks! Have been about 13 years ago. Was only in North Island. Have done Napier and Rotaroua.

I want to see the South Island, but not sure how to do it. I.e a tour, or go by myself?

How ar e the ladies out there?!

"Hi all

Good luck and have a great time.

Thanks! Have been about 13 years ago. Was only in North Island. Have done Napier and Rotaroua.

I want to see the South Island, but not sure how to do it. I.e a tour, or go by myself?

How ar e the ladies out there?!"

Don't ask me I'm very biased but that's another story!

If I were you I'd buy a road atlas hire a car and go for it. Freedom of the open road and all that. Sketch out the places you fancy visiting and take as much time as you want. I always wanted to go to Bluff right at the bottom of South Island....nothing between you and Antarctica!

By *he people watcher1Man  over a year ago

Greetland

Head down to the South Island..I only did queenstown but it’s an amazing place it might just still have a bit of snow on the mountains..do the 3 bungee jumps! And Milford sound is amazing!

By *mudg3rMan  over a year ago

Edinburgh

Definitely hire a car and explore at your leisure. A new and incredible experience every day in New Zealand. Not mentioned in South Island so far are Hanmer Springs - amazing day - and the drive back to Picton Ferry via Queen Charlotte Drive. Don’t miss it. As for 90 mile beach, either drive the beach yourself or take the tour bus. The road drive is not so good.

Swinging site is nzdating.co.nz Info re clubs etc there also.

Kia Ora.

New forest area

"Head down to the South Island..I only did queenstown but it’s an amazing place it might just still have a bit of snow on the mountains..do the 3 bungee jumps! And Milford sound is amazing! "

Will do. I've done 2 tandem freefall skydives. But I am never doing a bungee. Not for me.

New forest area

"Definitely hire a car and explore at your leisure. A new and incredible experience every day in New Zealand. Not mentioned in South Island so far are Hanmer Springs - amazing day - and the drive back to Picton Ferry via Queen Charlotte Drive. Don’t miss it. As for 90 mile beach, either drive the beach yourself or take the tour bus. The road drive is not so good.

Swinging site is nzdating.co.nz Info re clubs etc there also.

Kia Ora. "

Looking at doing a tour, which I think includes Hanmer springs. Not sure about the 90 mile beach though. Although have been on the Skeleton Coast road in Namibia!

I'll have to check that website out, thanks.

By *exyDownUnderWoman  over a year ago

Westmeath

North Island - Lake Taupo, Rotorua, Hawkes Bay, Wellington.

Get a guide book and explore off the beaten track.

Little biased as I'm from there, but it's the most amazing country.

P

New forest area

"North Island - Lake Taupo, Rotorua, Hawkes Bay, Wellington.

P"

Have been to the North Island once. But that was ages ago. Lake Taupo was amazing. And Rotorua, all I remember, was the smell! But you're right, I do need to explore.

Any recommendatuons for the south island?

"North Island - Lake Taupo, Rotorua, Hawkes Bay, Wellington.

P"

What part of kiwi are you from?

By *exyDownUnderWoman  over a year ago

Westmeath

I'm from near Palmerston North. Live in Ireland now.

I'm ashamed to say I've never been to the South Island. Was always cheaper to fly to Sydney for a holiday.

New forest area

"I'm from near Palmerston North. Live in Ireland now.

I'm ashamed to say I've never been to the South Island. Was always cheaper to fly to Sydney for a holiday."

Well, one beautiful country to another!

I've been once to NZ, and didn't make it to the South Island if that helps?!

Being an ex-pat myself ive travelled a lot of nz when i lived there. Both mainlands have a load to offer for scenery. I particularly liked south island for travel and views.

As suggested, coromandel is nice, as is waiheke island. Bay of Plenty is great, Mount Maunganui Beach next to Tauranga is excellent. Rotorua for the geothermal's. Mt Ruaphu for skiing.

Southland Clyde Dam, Dunedin has Baldwin Street, possibly steepest residential street in world, and a nice city.

Also Fiordlands for scenery and outdoor

By *odcastMan  over a year ago

Ware

I live north of Wellington, which is an 8+ hour drive south of Auckland along State Highway 1. Travelling by road here takes longer than in UK as motorways only exist in the major cities. SH1 is single lane for a lot of the journey but if you break it up to stop off at places on route it's bearable. Oct will still be on the cold side as just coming into spring - more so on South Island. Waitomo caves are worth a visit - the black Abyss tour so long as you don't mind the dark & getting wet. White island is about as close to an active volcano as you can get. The south island is stunning scenery wise. Pancake rocks near Hokitika on the west coast and the Moeraki boulders near Oamaru on the West coast are unique, but a ways to travel to on their own and a round trip from the ferry at Picton will take you 3 days, but going to Queesnstown would be worth it. Roads crossing from east to west are few & far between, so if you're on a tight timeline flying might be a better option, lots of regional airports to fly in & out of. Check out https://www.newzealand.com/int/ for ideas www.kiwiswingers.co.nz might be another site of interest. Enjoy your trip here.

By *riefcase_WankerMan  over a year ago

Milton Keynes

"Hi all

Will be based around auckland area."

If you're around the Auckland area but can travel a bit, the whole Bay of Islands is pretty spectacular, with Opononi in particular absolutely breathtaking on the scenic front. Check out the Waitangi Treaty Grounds while you're up there, and come down the opposite side to check out the Waipoua Forest before all of the kauris die out.

The Coromandel is also ram-packed with amazing views. Go to Hot Water Beach (check low tide times beforehand, and get there a couple of hours early) and dig your own thermal spa pool in the sand - it's an experience!

Lived in NZ for 4 years but south island, and pre swinging days! I'd recommend the Queenstown/Otago area, extreme sports, vineyards, amazing hiking. Top of lake Wakatipu there is a place which is actually called Paradise!

West coast glaciers are fascinating, glow worm caves by lake Te Anau (that auto corrects to anal!!!). East east - Canterbury peninsula, Akaroa is stunning. Damn, making me want to move back now!!!

By *azzmingeandSirCouple  over a year ago

Nowhere in particular

To travel Auckland to Wellington I believe they still do the observation car at the back of the train.. really chilled ride, see everything & don’t get tired from it..

never really touched Welly much when I was there but footage from old friends over there suggests over the headland is pretty amazing..

South Island, Dunedin, Hokitika, and Nelson area... after that, don’t try to fit loads in... just chill and go at the same pace as the locals!

By *rash26775Man  over a year ago

all over

North shore of Auckland old ww2 gun turret great view of the bay. Head to Waikato glow worm caves, routora (excuse my spelling) loads to do there can’t wait to head there on hold again

Visited in 2003 after the Rugby, I did the Green KIWI bus experience and managed to pack in most of both islands in 6 weeks.

Actually just started thinking about going back, via a month in Canada naturally lol

By *arold_n_maudeCouple  over a year ago

preston

Just a few selections from our travels.

Auckie - as mentioned Titirangi area- Piano beach and Piha, Kingsland was a good night after the cricket (good deli and pub with pizza oven). For the naughties K Road's the place, all sorts there including ladies with a little extra lol. Prostitution's legal so look in the localrag if that's your thing.

Others - Cpae Reigna - long schlep but worth it, Matakana area is a hidden gem (Sandspit campsite is one of the best), Napier (great site by the Pacific great vinyard across the road, super cakes at reception!), Wellington - top place all round.

Didnt really rate bay of islands r glowworm caves.

SI- helicopter to Fox expensive but well worth it- great Kiwi guides and nice vibe in the town. Milford ok, puzzle thing at Wank summat was fun. Didnt like Queenstown - Ambleside with legs and a bit pretentious.

That's our take from two visits. The food was great/good value wherever we went. The guy at Matakana said people only complian cos there's too much lol.

Hope that helps!

By *arold_n_maudeCouple  over a year ago

preston

Oh and also did Raglan which was sold as some arty hippy hang out and wasnt. Hobbiton is a long schlep through flatter Mata and pretty underwhelming. Rotatrura's ok, did Devil's Cauldron as run by Maories and was pretty good.

By *actilemale4uMan  over a year ago

London

Im going to new zealand in february/march next year. All the information ive found very useful as i plan my trip. Thanks folks

By *uke olovingmanMan  over a year ago

Gravesend

I'm going to the south island in November

Wellington is a pretty lively city then I’d recommend getting the ferry to South Island, drive from Nelson to the Abel Tasman, beautiful drive and sea kayaking there is spectacular. You can then cross back to the east of the island on Arthur’s pass, avalanche peak is a good climb on your way. Everywhere is friendly so stop anywhere and everywhere. For fun you can’t beat queenstown, might not be any swingers but bus loads of backpackers looking for a good time!

London

Have now planned my trip

5 days auckland

4 days queenstown

5 christchurch

5 wellington

2 days napier

5days rotuna

1 day auckland then home. Really looking forward to it and all the information in previous messages has been very useful many tjanks

London

Going milford sound from queenstown daytrip

By *att 81Man  over a year ago

Chepstow

I just returned from living in NZ for 6 years, 2 in Queenstown 4 in Christchurch

Christchurch is very boring. Still not much of a city centre. I'd spend more time in Qt or other places around south island.

Anyone from South Island I'm looking to move to near Invercargill anyone give me any information

By *uke olovingmanMan  over a year ago

Gravesend

"I'm going to the south island in November"
four more days to wait

New forest area

Thanks for everyones tips and advice. Apologies, I thought I had posted this a while ago.

NZ was amazing. Both North and South Islands.

North island:

Coromandel Peninsula was lovely. Great beach, and the hot water beach. Well worth it, when you dig a hot spot! In Rotorua, visited the Whakarewarewa geothermal village which was good, and then stayed at the Tamaki Maori village overnight and enjoyed a Hangi dinner!

Wellington was great. Dinner by the harbour. The NZ museum with the Gallipolli display was fantastic - even better, as I have been to Gallipolli.

Mount Maunganui was fantastic. Kovely place. Beach is gorgeous on both sides!

South Island:

Breathtaking scenery everywhere. Kaikoura, went whale Watching, and caught a glimpse of a sperm Whale. Stayed a respectable distance behind and to the side of the whale, in order not to disturb it, or change it's path. Franz Josef was awesome. Did a 16,500ft Skydive over the glacier, just spectacular, and then in the afternoon tool a helicopter up onto thre glacier itself and did a tour guided hike. This was the icing in the cake. Absolutely breathtaking. Thoroughly recommended. Queenstown, well, not what I was expecting at all. It was beautiful, stunning. Set by Lake wakatipu, and I think, the remarkables mountain range. Jaw droppimg if I'm honest. Well worth doing a hike here. Nightlife was prettty good too. Doubtful Sound, the river cruise was great. Yet more stunning scenery, and a few wildlife. Te Anau glow worms was OK. I thought the wakaito glow worms was better (last time I was there). Christchurch is worth visiting, but the CBD is a bit eerie, this part still hasn't fully recovered from the devastating earthquakes of 2011.

All in all. A fantastic trip. I will be back!

By *antra MassageMan  over a year ago

Old bog road

Glad you made it. I had my best holiday ever, just on the North Island. I'd love to go back.

Take selfies

[Removed by poster at 29/01/19 18:48:53]

[Removed by poster at 29/01/19 18:49:08]

» Add a new message to this topic