FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > No Brexit extension

No Brexit extension

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

What are people's thoughts? I'm a remainer. I understand we have to Brexit, but surely all our efforts should be focussed on this virus.

Would it hurt to wait till this is all over to truly get the best deal we can??

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"What are people's thoughts? I'm a remainer. I understand we have to Brexit, but surely all our efforts should be focussed on this virus.

Would it hurt to wait till this is all over to truly get the best deal we can??"

Which deal do you mean? Our deal with the EU, or separate trade deals with each country around the world?

Are the same people who were working on the trade deals now working on the Coronovirus? Can't they crack on and continue to work away with the admin and all the other stuff they have to do to get these things set up in the meantime?

The fight to get the least worst brexit is still important. We've already seen how brexit has hampered our ability to deal with the virus.

By *hybloke67Man  over a year ago

ROMFORD

Brexit - Britains Exit has already happened. The UK formally left the EU on the 31st January 2020.

In fact if you need clarification just look on the EU website and you will see the UK is no longer on it as a member state.

The deal needs to be done and dusted by the end of the year so we can just move on.

"Brexit - Britains Exit has already happened. The UK formally left the EU on the 31st January 2020.

In fact if you need clarification just look on the EU website and you will see the UK is no longer on it as a member state.

The deal needs to be done and dusted by the end of the year so we can just move on."

"The Deal". Lol

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"What are people's thoughts? I'm a remainer. I understand we have to Brexit, but surely all our efforts should be focussed on this virus.

Would it hurt to wait till this is all over to truly get the best deal we can??"

I think there will be a 12 month extension as all nations have more important things to worry about.if this does happen I hope nobody starts calling the PM a lier over it,none of us saw this coming.

upton wirral

"Brexit - Britains Exit has already happened. The UK formally left the EU on the 31st January 2020.

The deal needs to be done and dusted by the end of the year so we can just move on."

This is not the time

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

We were always destined to crash out I feel.

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

Wasnt it mentioned yesterday?

I think the eu talked about an extension but we have said no..increasing the chances of crashing out without a deal.

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

FTA negotiations are due next week with further talks scheduled for the weeks of 11 May and 1 June.

Still working towards a deal by the end of the year.

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

The uk has stated many times that there will be no more extensions.If the uk was to extend it would have to pay and it would be a lot more than we paid in the past. They still have not worked out how much extra they will pay between them and on top of that thatchers rebate wont apply any more,it could be as much as 2 billion a month bearing in mind the eu has a 55 billion black hole at the moment.

"The uk has stated many times that there will be no more extensions.If the uk was to extend it would have to pay and it would be a lot more than we paid in the past. They still have not worked out how much extra they will pay between them and on top of that thatchers rebate wont apply any more,it could be as much as 2 billion a month bearing in mind the eu has a 55 billion black hole at the moment. "

Geeze. Brexit is great innit.

[Removed by poster at 17/04/20 11:43:16]

near ipswich

The deal needs to be done and dusted by the end of the year so we can just move on.

It's this kind of response that beautifully illustrated how bone headed some people's thinking can be."

Not as bone headed as all those gina miller fans who tried to stop it, i bet they wish they had voted T mays deal through now, they are the real dummies for not seeing the consequences of their actions.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

It's this kind of response that beautifully illustrated how bone headed some people's thinking can be.Not as bone headed as all those gina miller fans who tried to stop it, i bet they wish they had voted T mays deal through now, they are the real dummies for not seeing the consequences of their actions. "

She never voted against May's deal..

We all know who did though..

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

It's this kind of response that beautifully illustrated how bone headed some people's thinking can be.Not as bone headed as all those gina miller fans who tried to stop it, i bet they wish they had voted T mays deal through now, they are the real dummies for not seeing the consequences of their actions.

"

Clarification, not claimed she did..

But who knew Boris and his swivel eyed loon friends in the Erg were all behind Gina Miller..

liverpool

It's this kind of response that beautifully illustrated how bone headed some people's thinking can be.Not as bone headed as all those gina miller fans who tried to stop it, i bet they wish they had voted T mays deal through now, they are the real dummies for not seeing the consequences of their actions.

But who knew Boris and his swivel eyed loon friends in the Erg were all behind Gina Miller..

"

Watches tumble blow past

Watches tumble blow past "

ERG are swivel eyed loons. They are cold calculated and ruthless sociopaths.

liverpool

Watches tumble blow past

ERG are swivel eyed loons. They are cold calculated and ruthless sociopaths."

Headed by one jacob reece mogg

By *tace 309TV/TS  over a year ago

durham

we have left the EU... End of

Watches tumble blow past

Headed by one jacob reece mogg"

I meant "aren't" not "are".

But yeah Rees "how much money can I make from the Coronovirus" Mogg

Formally known as Rees "let's ruin the Economy so I can make money currency trading" Mogg.

liverpool

Would it hurt to wait till this is all over to truly get the best deal we can??we have left the EU... End of "

Yep we can all looking forward to our prosperous future without being dictated too

Would it hurt to wait till this is all over to truly get the best deal we can??we have left the EU... End of "

So there's no trade negotiations going on? This transition period were currently in doesn't exist?

This is huge news (if true)

here

Watches tumble blow past

Headed by one jacob reece mogg"

Mark Francois

liverpool

Watches tumble blow past

Mark Francois"

Ha ha forgot about him

Our ta hero.

Watches tumble blow past

Mark Francois

Ha ha forgot about him

Our ta hero."

Oh yes. His voting record would make Genghis Khan embarrassed.

By *hybloke67Man  over a year ago

ROMFORD

Would it hurt to wait till this is all over to truly get the best deal we can??we have left the EU... End of

So there's no trade negotiations going on? This transition period were currently in doesn't exist?

This is huge news (if true)"

Here is what I posted on another thread.

From the EU website.

The United Kingdom left the European Union on 31 January 2020, after 47 years of EU membership. In accordance with the Withdrawal Agreement, it is now officially a third country to the EU and hence no longer participates in EU decision-making.

The EU and the UK have, however, jointly agreed on a transition period, which will last until 31 December 2020. Until then, it will be business as usual for citizens, consumers, businesses, investors, students and researchers in both the EU and the UK. EU law still applies to the United Kingdom until the end of the transition period.

The EU and the UK will use these months to negotiate an ambitious and fair partnership for the future.

We have left the EU. It can't be more plain and simple to understand than that.!

Would it hurt to wait till this is all over to truly get the best deal we can??we have left the EU... End of

This is huge news (if true)

Here is what I posted on another thread.

From the EU website.

The United Kingdom left the European Union on 31 January 2020, after 47 years of EU membership. In accordance with the Withdrawal Agreement, it is now officially a third country to the EU and hence no longer participates in EU decision-making.

The EU and the UK have, however, jointly agreed on a transition period, which will last until 31 December 2020. Until then, it will be business as usual for citizens, consumers, businesses, investors, students and researchers in both the EU and the UK. EU law still applies to the United Kingdom until the end of the transition period.

The EU and the UK will use these months to negotiate an ambitious and fair partnership for the future.

We have left the EU. It can't be more plain and simple to understand than that.!"

Lots of text to argue something that no one is disputing.

Good work.

By *L RogueMan  over a year ago

London

Every country's economy will be weakened post COVID-19. If you think we can go back to "normal" and maintain timelines and schedules after this then...wow...

The irony, those who are currently arguing the lockdown should be ended because it is causing economic harm are mainly the ones who voted for economic harm. It's hilarious, except it's gonna be a complete catastrophe. We couldn't even deal with this virus properly. I can't wait to see the utter balls up these clowns make out of Europe

"The irony, those who are currently arguing the lockdown should be ended because it is causing economic harm are mainly the ones who voted for economic harm. It's hilarious, except it's gonna be a complete catastrophe. We couldn't even deal with this virus properly. I can't wait to see the utter balls up these clowns make out of Europe"

The common denominator is that the ultra rich who are losing revenue during the Covid-19 pandemic. Are the same who will benefit from Brexit.

near ipswich

"The irony, those who are currently arguing the lockdown should be ended because it is causing economic harm are mainly the ones who voted for economic harm. It's hilarious, except it's gonna be a complete catastrophe. We couldn't even deal with this virus properly. I can't wait to see the utter balls up these clowns make out of Europe"
Where do you get those figures from out of interest ?

"The irony, those who are currently arguing the lockdown should be ended because it is causing economic harm are mainly the ones who voted for economic harm. It's hilarious, except it's gonna be a complete catastrophe. We couldn't even deal with this virus properly. I can't wait to see the utter balls up these clowns make out of EuropeWhere do you get those figures from out of interest ?"

I think you replied to the wrong post. That person didn't mention figures.

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

It should be decided on what's likely to better provide the opportunity to most effectively negotiate the best deal. Settling for anything, just because we had a deadline, doesn't seem to be the intelligent approach. Being open to use extra time, if we could make good net gains, is just the right move.

near ipswich

"The irony, those who are currently arguing the lockdown should be ended because it is causing economic harm are mainly the ones who voted for economic harm. It's hilarious, except it's gonna be a complete catastrophe. We couldn't even deal with this virus properly. I can't wait to see the utter balls up these clowns make out of EuropeWhere do you get those figures from out of interest ?

I think you replied to the wrong post. That person didn't mention figures."

I wanted to know where the figures are for those who are currently arguing the lockdown should be ended because it is causing economic harm are mainly the ones who voted for economic harm.

By *anejohnkent6263Couple  over a year ago

canterbury

Will certainly put the eu on the back foot ....especially once this virus thing is over ...some countries in the eu will wake up and realise that the eu is all about self self self ....why be in it ....Spain italy to start with

"Will certainly put the eu on the back foot ....especially once this virus thing is over ...some countries in the eu will wake up and realise that the eu is all about self self self ....why be in it ....Spain italy to start with"

Now you're getting it. The EU is "self self self". If you're in the EU. You get all the benefits. If you're out. You get none.

"The irony, those who are currently arguing the lockdown should be ended because it is causing economic harm are mainly the ones who voted for economic harm. It's hilarious, except it's gonna be a complete catastrophe. We couldn't even deal with this virus properly. I can't wait to see the utter balls up these clowns make out of EuropeWhere do you get those figures from out of interest ?

I think you replied to the wrong post. That person didn't mention figures.I wanted to know where the figures are for those who are currently arguing the lockdown should be ended because it is causing economic harm are mainly the ones who voted for economic harm. "

I suspect it's speculative.

The states seem to have a lot of people protesting the lock down. Egged on by the president. But I've only noticed one poster on here talking that way.

canterbury

Benefits please explain ...macron hijacking supplies to other countries ...wake up its all about individual countries ...self self and self for france Germany....filling there own pockets

"Benefits please explain ...macron hijacking supplies to other countries ...wake up its all about individual countries ...self self and self for france Germany....filling there own pockets"

You appear to be contacting yourself there.

No sure which post reflects your true feelings.

canterbury

How's that then ....we are in france at the moment and the rat man is all about france ....fuck the eu ....Mrs la pen will crush him at next election and will offer the in/ out vote ...eu solidarity don't make me laugh ...wake up

"How's that then ....we are in france at the moment and the rat man is all about france ....fuck the eu ....Mrs la pen will crush him at next election and will offer the in/ out vote ...eu solidarity don't make me laugh ...wake up"

So you don't like the EU because France is able to self determine it's own policies and look after its own citizens.

Meanwhile suggesting that Macrons form of nationalism will be crushed by the extreme far right in the next election?

Just try again to explain how this fuels your anti EU bias?

near ipswich

I think you replied to the wrong post. That person didn't mention figures.I wanted to know where the figures are for those who are currently arguing the lockdown should be ended because it is causing economic harm are mainly the ones who voted for economic harm.

I suspect it's speculative.

The states seem to have a lot of people protesting the lock down. Egged on by the president. But I've only noticed one poster on here talking that way."

Speculative nice way of saying a load of bollocks i have not seen anywhere where people who voted for brexit are complaining about the lockdown.

"How's that then ....we are in france at the moment and the rat man is all about france ....fuck the eu ....Mrs la pen will crush him at next election and will offer the in/ out vote ...eu solidarity don't make me laugh ...wake up"

It's sad when you hear people like this. Lied to and having to constantly reframe their argument to hide the fact they were led down the garden path

liverpool

"How's that then ....we are in france at the moment and the rat man is all about france ....fuck the eu ....Mrs la pen will crush him at next election and will offer the in/ out vote ...eu solidarity don't make me laugh ...wake up

It's sad when you hear people like this. Lied to and having to constantly reframe their argument to hide the fact they were led down the garden path "

People voted for it..if people were misled (though very few will admit to it)they are going to have live with the consequences.

As must us all.

"How's that then ....we are in france at the moment and the rat man is all about france ....fuck the eu ....Mrs la pen will crush him at next election and will offer the in/ out vote ...eu solidarity don't make me laugh ...wake up

It's sad when you hear people like this. Lied to and having to constantly reframe their argument to hide the fact they were led down the garden path

People voted for it..if people were misled (though very few will admit to it)they are going to have live with the consequences.

As must us all."

They were mislead. If only the referendum had been legally binding. If so the result would have been thrown out.

As must us all.

They were mislead. If only the referendum had been legally binding. If so the result would have been thrown out."

Why?

liverpool

As must us all.

They were mislead. If only the referendum had been legally binding. If so the result would have been thrown out."

I agree but they still will not accept it.Ive literally got no sympathy for them.

near ipswich

It's sad when you hear people like this. Lied to and having to constantly reframe their argument to hide the fact they were led down the garden path "

How were people led down the garden path what exactly are you referring to?

liverpool

It's sad when you hear people like this. Lied to and having to constantly reframe their argument to hide the fact they were led down the garden path How were people led down the garden path what exactly are you referring to?"

Well The claim on the side of a bus was a good start?

near ipswich

It's sad when you hear people like this. Lied to and having to constantly reframe their argument to hide the fact they were led down the garden path How were people led down the garden path what exactly are you referring to?

Well The claim on the side of a bus was a good start?"

Do you believe that was the deciding factor of why people voted the way they did?

liverpool

It's sad when you hear people like this. Lied to and having to constantly reframe their argument to hide the fact they were led down the garden path How were people led down the garden path what exactly are you referring to?

Well The claim on the side of a bus was a good start?Do you believe that was the deciding factor of why people voted the way they did?"

Nope but it was a factor. The pro Brexit side founded a campaign on misinformation,propaganda and outright lies.

People fell for it.

As must us all.

They were mislead. If only the referendum had been legally binding. If so the result would have been thrown out.

Why?"

Under British law there are different rules for binding and non binding referendum with regards to misleading the public through deliberately inaccurate campaigning. Lies and propaganda. Also the laws around funding, if broken can invalidate the result.

As Vote Leave, and whatever the other campaign was called. Were both charged with.

It's in the interest of democracy.

Well The claim on the side of a bus was a good start?Do you believe that was the deciding factor of why people voted the way they did?"

Pick any reason that any leaver tells you. It's bullshit. 100%.

near ipswich

Well The claim on the side of a bus was a good start?Do you believe that was the deciding factor of why people voted the way they did?

Nope but it was a factor. The pro Brexit side founded a campaign on misinformation,propaganda and outright lies.

People fell for it."

What intrigues me is why remainers think people were swayed by a sign on a bus and not by the lies the remain party spouted, the uk going into recession if we voted to leave 500,000 jobs lost.Personally i would have thought if people were as gullible as you are making out they would have fell for that one more,fear always seems to work better with propaganda so maybe the british public are not as stupid as you are making them out to be.

As must us all.

Why?

Under British law there are different rules for binding and non binding referendum with regards to misleading the public through deliberately inaccurate campaigning. Lies and propaganda. Also the laws around funding, if broken can invalidate the result.

As Vote Leave, and whatever the other campaign was called. Were both charged with.

"

Straws clutching at springs to mind About time you let go of your bitterness, it isn't any good for you Most of us have moved on

As must us all.

Why?

Straws clutching at springs to mind About time you let go of your bitterness, it isn't any good for you Most of us have moved on "

Weak reply.

You asked me a question. I asked it factually.

You resort to personal insults. Poor show.

near ipswich

Well The claim on the side of a bus was a good start?Do you believe that was the deciding factor of why people voted the way they did?

Pick any reason that any leaver tells you. It's bullshit. 100%."

What and this isnt a weak reply pot and kettle spring to mind.

Pick any reason that any leaver tells you. It's bullshit. 100%.What and this isnt a weak reply pot and kettle spring to mind. "

Okay give me a reason that a leave voter has used to justify voting leave?

It's a pointless exercise. But we can do it if you like.

And don't compare me making a point, to the other guy who just throws insults about when he doesn't have anything better to say.

near ipswich

Pick any reason that any leaver tells you. It's bullshit. 100%.What and this isnt a weak reply pot and kettle spring to mind.

And don't compare me making a point, to the other guy who just throws insults about when he doesn't have anything better to say."

As you say a pointless exercise as we have left at last.It was hardly a constructive point so cant see any problem comparing it to your reply.

Pick any reason that any leaver tells you. It's bullshit. 100%.What and this isnt a weak reply pot and kettle spring to mind.

And don't compare me making a point, to the other guy who just throws insults about when he doesn't have anything better to say.As you say a pointless exercise as we have left at last.It was hardly a constructive point so cant see any problem comparing it to your reply."

It was in answer to your point. And sure, it was argumentative in tone.

But the other guys just thows personal insults.

Why would I do that? I don't know anything about you.

liverpool

People fell for it.What intrigues me is why remainers think people were swayed by a sign on a bus and not by the lies the remain party spouted, the uk going into recession if we voted to leave 500,000 jobs lost.Personally i would have thought if people were as gullible as you are making out they would have fell for that one more,fear always seems to work better with propaganda so maybe the british public are not as stupid as you are making them out to be. "

The leave campaign was built on lies

As far as I can see the remain campaign said we would lose jobs.How many car factories closed last year?Even The ex chancellor said jobs and businesses would go when we leave.And that's just the short term.

near ipswich

And don't compare me making a point, to the other guy who just throws insults about when he doesn't have anything better to say.As you say a pointless exercise as we have left at last.It was hardly a constructive point so cant see any problem comparing it to your reply.

Why would I do that? I don't know anything about you. "

You tell me i know nothing about you.

And don't compare me making a point, to the other guy who just throws insults about when he doesn't have anything better to say.As you say a pointless exercise as we have left at last.It was hardly a constructive point so cant see any problem comparing it to your reply.

Why would I do that? I don't know anything about you. You tell me i know nothing about you."

You want me to tell you why I don't know anything about you?

As must us all.

Why?

Straws clutching at springs to mind About time you let go of your bitterness, it isn't any good for you Most of us have moved on

Weak reply.

"

What personal insult? Going to report it

Anyhoo, you haven't answered anything factually other than a load of straw clutching. As one of those who have moved on, I'm moving on

As must us all.

Why?

Weak reply.

What personal insult? Going to report it

Anyhoo, you haven't answered anything factually other than a load of straw clutching. As one of those who have moved on, I'm moving on "

Why would I report it?

I did answer your direct question with information. If you didn't understand it. That's not my fault. I explained in very simple terms.

What does "moving on" entail? Aside from throwing insults around at people who take a moment to answer a question that you asked?

canterbury

Love it ....voted out and what ever happens even the remainers will have to put up with the democratic vote ...tough shit live with it xx

"Love it ....voted out and what ever happens even the remainers will have to put up with the democratic vote ...tough shit live with it xx"

Well that is the point. Those of you who voted out inflicted this on all of us. And now seemly we have lost the right to speak about and we deal with the shit sandwich.

What type of deal did we get?

"Love it ....voted out and what ever happens even the remainers will have to put up with the democratic vote ...tough shit live with it xx"

Is that the best you can do?

canterbury

No ...but get on with it and stop moaning on....remain lost

"No ...but get on with it and stop moaning on....remain lost"

What do you mean "remain lost"?

We all lost. Unless you're a US corporation waiting for a bonanza trade deal, an MP who is currency trading, or a business owner who wants to remove workers rights, environmental protection etc.

By *coptoCouple  over a year ago

Côte d'Azur & Great Yarmouth

Back to the original post: What are people's thoughts [on a Brexit extension]? Nothing to think about! Brexit is HISTORY, the UK hasn’t been an EU Member State for over a month… But both the UK and the EU are obliged to fulfil agreed obligations - including full UK contributions, Maggie rebate etc. - until the end of the current budgetary period, i.e. 31 December 2020. Some trading arrangements might or might not have been agreed before the end of the year, but there can be NO extension, “hurt to wait till this is all over” or not. The EU’s multiannual financial framework 2021-2027 begins 1 January 2021, the UK CANNOT legally pay any money in after that date, or receive any benefit out. Like I said, what’s to think about?

Back to the original post: What are people's thoughts [on a Brexit extension]? Nothing to think about! Brexit is HISTORY, the UK hasn’t been an EU Member State for over a month… But both the UK and the EU are obliged to fulfil agreed obligations - including full UK contributions, Maggie rebate etc. - until the end of the current budgetary period, i.e. 31 December 2020. Some trading arrangements might or might not have been agreed before the end of the year, but there can be NO extension, “hurt to wait till this is all over” or not. The EU’s multiannual financial framework 2021-2027 begins 1 January 2021, the UK CANNOT legally pay any money in after that date, or receive any benefit out. Like I said, what’s to think about?

By *asyukMan  over a year ago

West London

Get on with what?

What is going to happen? Trade deals, tariffs, redundancies, jobs, rotting fruit, unicorns? Any clue?

"Back to the original post: What are people's thoughts [on a Brexit extension]? Nothing to think about! Brexit is HISTORY, the UK hasn’t been an EU Member State for over a month… But both the UK and the EU are obliged to fulfil agreed obligations - including full UK contributions, Maggie rebate etc. - until the end of the current budgetary period, i.e. 31 December 2020. Some trading arrangements might or might not have been agreed before the end of the year, but there can be NO extension, “hurt to wait till this is all over” or not. The EU’s multiannual financial framework 2021-2027 begins 1 January 2021, the UK CANNOT legally pay any money in after that date, or receive any benefit out. Like I said, what’s to think about?"

I think Johnson et al will use Coronovirus for an excuse not to get any deal done. Leaving us with a hard, no deal brexit.

As someone pointed out further up. They made a commitment to leave on a certain date.

Plus the harder the brexit. The more financial gain for those who funded the various leave campaigns.

West London

No harm in waiting. The world will be very different. People's behaviour and trade relationships will all be very different.

Of course, that might give people the opportunity to reconsider and nobody wants that right?

liverpool

"Back to the original post: What are people's thoughts [on a Brexit extension]? Nothing to think about! Brexit is HISTORY, the UK hasn’t been an EU Member State for over a month… But both the UK and the EU are obliged to fulfil agreed obligations - including full UK contributions, Maggie rebate etc. - until the end of the current budgetary period, i.e. 31 December 2020. Some trading arrangements might or might not have been agreed before the end of the year, but there can be NO extension, “hurt to wait till this is all over” or not. The EU’s multiannual financial framework 2021-2027 begins 1 January 2021, the UK CANNOT legally pay any money in after that date, or receive any benefit out. Like I said, what’s to think about?"

They have all ready ruled out an extension.

canterbury

What do you want to reconsider....

Remain lost so we should get any shit pot deal going?? Very patriotic of you

I find it hilarious that this kind of person purportedly loved their country...

canterbury

Or some people in difficult times can't support a democratic vote ...the eu ...let's see how it sticks together after this ...Spain italy ...Will now want to go ....as macron now thinks he runs the eu when he can't even run his own country ,even he thinks the eu could now split

"as macron now thinks he runs the eu "

I presume Macron has personally messaged you saying this yes?

I don't see why anyone especially in government that supports Brexit would want to extend it because now with COVID-19 taking a wrecking ball to our economy, any economic damage Brexit may have inflicted will now be lost in the mess that the virus is producing.

If anything they will want brexit to come as fast as possible.

"I don't see why anyone especially in government that supports Brexit would want to extend it because now with COVID-19 taking a wrecking ball to our economy, any economic damage Brexit may have inflicted will now be lost in the mess that the virus is producing.

If anything they will want brexit to come as fast as possible. "

Absolutely this.

here

"I don't see why anyone especially in government that supports Brexit would want to extend it because now with COVID-19 taking a wrecking ball to our economy, any economic damage Brexit may have inflicted will now be lost in the mess that the virus is producing.

If anything they will want brexit to come as fast as possible. "

This is very true.

Would an extension to the transition period mean the UK could end up embroiled in legal wrangling over whether the UK is liable for any future contributions towards the financial support currently being negotiated/provided to EU countries.

This is very true.

Would an extension to the transition period mean the UK could end up embroiled in legal wrangling over whether the UK is liable for any future contributions towards the financial support currently being negotiated/provided to EU countries."

Good point. Shame we're not getting any of this support from the EU.

here

This is very true.

Would an extension to the transition period mean the UK could end up embroiled in legal wrangling over whether the UK is liable for any future contributions towards the financial support currently being negotiated/provided to EU countries.

Good point. Shame we're not getting any of this support from the EU."

We did get 60 respirators from the German army...

"Would an extension to the transition period mean the UK could end up embroiled in legal wrangling over whether the UK is liable for any future contributions"

No legal wrangling, rather the EXACT reason there can be no extension.

As to the snide comment about respirators from the German Army, no mention is made in the UK press about German hospitals using spare capacity to take in French and Italian patients. But to paraphrase Mandy Rice-Davies: "They wouldn't, would they?"

This is very true.

Good point. Shame we're not getting any of this support from the EU.

We did get 60 respirators from the German army... "

And we could have been part of the EU bulk procurement of ventilators and PPE but chose not to.

here

""Would an extension to the transition period mean the UK could end up embroiled in legal wrangling over whether the UK is liable for any future contributions"

As to the snide comment about respirators from the German Army, no mention is made in the UK press about German hospitals using spare capacity to take in French and Italian patients. But to paraphrase Mandy Rice-Davies: "They wouldn't, would they?""

I can't decide if you think it is a good idea for no extension for the reason I have suggested.

The throwaway comment wasn't intended to be snide but more of a light hearted reply to the comment that the UK hasn't received any financial support being handed out by the EU.

This is very true.

Would an extension to the transition period mean the UK could end up embroiled in legal wrangling over whether the UK is liable for any future contributions towards the financial support currently being negotiated/provided to EU countries."

I'd have thought any extension would bring liability for any EU expenditure being drawn up.

""Would an extension to the transition period mean the UK could end up embroiled in legal wrangling over whether the UK is liable for any future contributions"

As to the snide comment about respirators from the German Army, no mention is made in the UK press about German hospitals using spare capacity to take in French and Italian patients. But to paraphrase Mandy Rice-Davies: "They wouldn't, would they?"

I can't decide if you think it is a good idea for no extension for the reason I have suggested.

The throwaway comment wasn't intended to be snide but more of a light hearted reply to the comment that the UK hasn't received any financial support being handed out by the EU.

"

I took the German ventilator thing as a friendly comment.

I don't think the Boris or the government will want an extension simply because that pushes us closer to a no-deal type scenario. Nothing more too it than that.

canterbury

"as macron now thinks he runs the eu

I presume Macron has personally messaged you saying this yes? "

suggest you watch the French news sometime ...it is in French though ....we are in france he stated that some countries after this may look at there eu position ....ok

liverpool

I presume Macron has personally messaged you saying this yes? suggest you watch the French news sometime ...it is in French though ....we are in france he stated that some countries after this may look at there eu position ....ok"

What language did you think it would be in?

near ipswich

I presume Macron has personally messaged you saying this yes? suggest you watch the French news sometime ...it is in French though ....we are in france he stated that some countries after this may look at there eu position ....ok

What language did you think it would be in?"

watch france 24 it is in english and subtitled in english when showing his speeches.

Am I missing something, we just agree to keep trade and immigration (fom) on the same terms for another 2 years. If we don't both we and the EU are mad.

liverpool

"Am I missing something, we just agree to keep trade and immigration (fom) on the same terms for another 2 years. If we don't both we and the EU are mad. "

I'm not sure we can tbh

here

"Am I missing something, we just agree to keep trade and immigration (fom) on the same terms for another 2 years. If we don't both we and the EU are mad. "

sounds like a 2 year extension ?

I don't think that the EU really wants or needs Britain.

Perhaps a no deal and walk away will suit the EU.

Look at the trade deficit between the UK and the EU.

The impact that the virus has had on the economy works both ways and losing trade to the UK is not as great an impact as the UK losing trade to Europe.

BMW will survive...

I don't see any motivation for the Tories to look for any extension. So I don't see them seeking one.

near ipswich

"Am I missing something, we just agree to keep trade and immigration (fom) on the same terms for another 2 years. If we don't both we and the EU are mad.

I'm not sure we can tbh"

There would have to be a law change in the uk and we would end up paying billions of pounds dont know where he got that idea from .

liverpool

"I don't think that the EU really wants or needs Britain.

Perhaps a no deal and walk away will suit the EU.

Look at the trade deficit between the UK and the EU.

The impact that the virus has had on the economy works both ways and losing trade to the UK is not as great an impact as the UK losing trade to Europe.

BMW will survive..."

Remember all that stuff put about when it all started..they need us more than we need them..they will be begging us to stay

"Am I missing something, we just agree to keep trade and immigration (fom) on the same terms for another 2 years. If we don't both we and the EU are mad.

I'm not sure we can tbh

There would have to be a law change in the uk and we would end up paying billions of pounds dont know where he got that idea from ."

Why would the government suddenly give a fuck about wasting billions of pounds?

upton wirral

Things will stay as they are for at least an extra 12 months maybe more.WSe might even go back in,the world is now a different place.

I have not become a remainer by the way but being pragmatic now is not the time to break away sadly

near ipswich

Have to see what Boris,s mate trump comes up with seems they spoke on the phone yesterday about it.Trump will want to announce a big and wonderful deal before the election.

liverpool

Said the other day I think there was a feeling that we show them we can do this without Europe and its backfired spectacularly.

Fuck knows what's it gonna be like post Brexit.

near ipswich

"Said the other day I think there was a feeling that we show them we can do this without Europe and its backfired spectacularly.

Fuck knows what's it gonna be like post Brexit."

Hows it backfired?

"Have to see what Boris,s mate trump comes up with seems they spoke on the phone yesterday about it.Trump will want to announce a big and wonderful deal before the election. "

Yup. Again why the UK won't want to extend the transition period.

The Americans who funded the leave campaigns won't want to wait any longer to start exploiting the UKs weakened post brexit position.

near ipswich

"Have to see what Boris,s mate trump comes up with seems they spoke on the phone yesterday about it.Trump will want to announce a big and wonderful deal before the election.

The Americans who funded the leave campaigns won't want to wait any longer to start exploiting the UKs weakened post brexit position."

liverpool

"Said the other day I think there was a feeling that we show them we can do this without Europe and its backfired spectacularly.

Fuck knows what's it gonna be like post Brexit.Hows it backfired?"

Really?

near ipswich

Fuck knows what's it gonna be like post Brexit.Hows it backfired?

Really?"

yeah?

liverpool

Really?yeah?"

Well its hardly been a roaring success so far.

"Have to see what Boris,s mate trump comes up with seems they spoke on the phone yesterday about it.Trump will want to announce a big and wonderful deal before the election.

The Americans who funded the leave campaigns won't want to wait any longer to start exploiting the UKs weakened post brexit position."

Especially as they are going to come out of the pandemic even worse than we are . Trump will be looking to ‘clean us out’ in any trade deals

By *uboCouple  over a year ago

East kilbride

The way the tories are going about this, the UK will be bankrupt and Trump will buy us for about 10p in the £

How anyone imagined we could get any sort of Deal with BlowJo in charge is beyond the sane.

By *eddy and legsCouple  over a year ago

the wetlands

Given the success the UK government have had im handling this crisis I've no doubt they will handle brexit with the same accomplished excellence

Look how many gowns, masks and ventilators we're making for the NHS we don't need trade deals

Look at how we are managing to build new power stations and our new 5g network.

Look at how the brave people of England are lining up to pick fruit

But don't worry, Mr Trump will save us, he loves Boris

"Given the success the UK government have had im handling this crisis I've no doubt they will handle brexit with the same accomplished excellence

Look how many gowns, masks and ventilators we're making for the NHS we don't need trade deals

"

liverpool

"Given the success the UK government have had im handling this crisis I've no doubt they will handle brexit with the same accomplished excellence

"

near ipswich

Really?yeah?

Well its hardly been a roaring success so far."

As we were a net contributor at least we will be only paying our own debt and not half of Europe,s too.

liverpool

Really?yeah?

Well its hardly been a roaring success so far.As we were a net contributor at least we will be only paying our own debt and not half of Europe,s too."

So we foot the bill for half of europe?

Can you provide some figures for this as I didnt know that.

Cheers

West London

"Things will stay as they are for at least an extra 12 months maybe more.WSe might even go back in,the world is now a different place.

I have not become a remainer by the way but being pragmatic now is not the time to break away sadly"

Why should the EU extend? Why should we get this because it would be better for us?

We will still buy whatever we have to from the EU but at a higher price.

They may as well cut ties and buy up whatever valuable companies and assets that there are in the UK at bargain basement rates like the Chinese and Americans.

near ipswich

Really?yeah?

Well its hardly been a roaring success so far.As we were a net contributor at least we will be only paying our own debt and not half of Europe,s too.

Cheers"

Because we were in the top 3 net contributors to the eu budget so obviously be paying more.There were only 9 net contributing countries in the eu when we were in so its over 1/2 considering there are 27.

liverpool

Really?yeah?

Well its hardly been a roaring success so far.As we were a net contributor at least we will be only paying our own debt and not half of Europe,s too.

CheersBecause we were in the top 3 net contributors to the eu budget so obviously be paying more.There were only 9 net contributing countries in the eu when we were in so its over 1/2 considering there are 27."

Ok I'm no finance expert but if thats the case surely the EU will collapse the minute we leave?

Mmmm, now let me see. The Commission could have either based its proposed 2021-2027 budget on the UK’s historical net contributions and “collapsed the minute we leave”…. or put forward a reduced expenditure based on the contributions it WILL receive, as it’s done for the last sixty years without going in the red.

Guess what it’s done. Oh, sorry, they need us more than we need them, don’t they?

near ipswich

Really?yeah?

CheersBecause we were in the top 3 net contributors to the eu budget so obviously be paying more.There were only 9 net contributing countries in the eu when we were in so its over 1/2 considering there are 27.

Ok I'm no finance expert but if thats the case surely the EU will collapse the minute we leave?"

no why would they? a new budget is being worked out for the next 7 years some will obviously pay more and some will receive less.

liverpool

Really?yeah?

CheersBecause we were in the top 3 net contributors to the eu budget so obviously be paying more.There were only 9 net contributing countries in the eu when we were in so its over 1/2 considering there are 27.

Ok I'm no finance expert but if thats the case surely the EU will collapse the minute we leave? no why would they? a new budget is being worked out for the next 7 years some will obviously pay more and some will receive less. "

Because when you said we foot half the bill surely that means they would struggle without us?

But like I said I'm no economic expert

near ipswich

Really?yeah?

Ok I'm no finance expert but if thats the case surely the EU will collapse the minute we leave? no why would they? a new budget is being worked out for the next 7 years some will obviously pay more and some will receive less.

Because when you said we foot half the bill surely that means they would struggle without us?

But like I said I'm no economic expert"

No i said we would be for the corona bailout please dont mis quote me.

Really?yeah?

Ok I'm no finance expert but if thats the case surely the EU will collapse the minute we leave? no why would they? a new budget is being worked out for the next 7 years some will obviously pay more and some will receive less.

But like I said I'm no economic expertNo i said we would be for the corona bailout please dont mis quote me."

Wouldn't that be better than just flushing all the money away just to make a few investment firms some more wedge?

At least the money would be helping people that need help. And we'd get a slice of that pie too.

liverpool

Really?yeah?

But like I said I'm no economic expertNo i said we would be for the corona bailout please dont mis quote me."

Sorry I misunderstood

West London

Really?yeah?

CheersBecause we were in the top 3 net contributors to the eu budget so obviously be paying more.There were only 9 net contributing countries in the eu when we were in so its over 1/2 considering there are 27."

That's not actually true.

9 net contributers of which we are the third highest payer.

We couldn't conceivably be paying half of anything.

That's mathematical nonsense

Really?yeah?

That's not actually true.

9 net contributers of which we are the third highest payer.

We couldn't conceivably be paying half of anything.

That's mathematical nonsense "

In fairness to Capt. Attack-anyone-who-questions the Tories. "Paying half of...." Could be a figure of speech.

In anycase. I would prefer to pay into something that was helping people, helping us, than just flushing all the money in the coffers down the Brexit toilet so a few investment firms can make a killing shorting the pound, and so US corporations can pick us off in the most horrific trade deals of all time.

» Add a new message to this topic