FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Once upon a time in Iraq

Once upon a time in Iraq

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ackformore100 OP   Man  over a year ago

Tin town

I was channel hopping tonight and happened upon this program. Being a man I'm interested in war, but this was just mind numbing. Thankfully I had forgotten a lot of what happened. But this... Wow lost for words how they got away with it. Its on each week for a few weeks. It's a hard and emotional watch but with so much posturing by America now, it is well worth reminding ourselves what happens when we go to war so easily.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *oldswarriorMan  over a year ago

Falkirk

The Op Telic tours were certainly different shall we say .

The program only highlighted a tiny percentage of what went on.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

The commander over played the pr, behaving like a fool, and the brutality was Appalling. Exactly how not to get Iraqis on side!

They Should hsve restored law n order and get the electricity, water and other amenities, services.

Total fuck by on the Americans

Falkirk

The Iraq people didn't want anyone on side.

After the fall of the Saddam dictatorship it was a free for all with a fight for power in most regions.

A now dilapidated country with substantial resources, it was a prime target for the Americans since the 60s.

Tin town

"The Iraq people didn't want anyone on side.

After the fall of the Saddam dictatorship it was a free for all with a fight for power in most regions.

A now dilapidated country with substantial resources, it was a prime target for the Americans since the 60s.

"

I like programs where I learn stuff. But I watched a lot of it mouth agape. It had the feel of apocalypse now or my lai to it. And now they play back the 2 decisions by bremer to take a once proud nation into chaos.

I know war is a dirty business and I know Halliburton pulled strings but I cant believe this stuff went largely unpunished and unpublished...and the fact we / blairs lot were complicit in much of it. Terrible business.

Falkirk

I like programs where I learn stuff. But I watched a lot of it mouth agape. It had the feel of apocalypse now or my lai to it. And now they play back the 2 decisions by bremer to take a once proud nation into chaos.

I know war is a dirty business and I know Halliburton pulled strings but I cant believe this stuff went largely unpunished and unpublished...and the fact we / blairs lot were complicit in much of it. Terrible business. "

The irony is when I left the forces I went to work with Haliburton back in Iraq. No permanent contracts, purely production driven.

I left when I started my degree then went to Petrofac. They were exactly the same.

Unscrupulous and underhand tactics used by both companies.

Tin town

I know war is a dirty business and I know Halliburton pulled strings but I cant believe this stuff went largely unpunished and unpublished...and the fact we / blairs lot were complicit in much of it. Terrible business.

The irony is when I left the forces I went to work with Haliburton back in Iraq. No permanent contracts, purely production driven.

I left when I started my degree then went to Petrofac. They were exactly the same.

"

It's interesting you have first hand experience of it, sometimes the 'facts" punted out in the news and media are proven to be far from it... (wmd as one example). I like to think that for every video clip they have of US forces cruelly teasing the indigenous population and locking them in cells with no reason and so on... That there are more clips of them being kind and helpful and realising they were a guest in the country, and the reason we never see them is because it doesn't suit the narrative? Perhaps naive. Was that the case in your first hand experience.?

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

It's interesting you have first hand experience of it, sometimes the 'facts" punted out in the news and media are proven to be far from it... (wmd as one example). I like to think that for every video clip they have of US forces cruelly teasing the indigenous population and locking them in cells with no reason and so on... That there are more clips of them being kind and helpful and realising they were a guest in the country, and the reason we never see them is because it doesn't suit the narrative? Perhaps naive. Was that the case in your first hand experience.? "

What narrative?

I haven't seen it all yet but I have seen where the Iraqis welcome them in as saviours.

Obviously this didn't last and obviously some pretty horrific things happened.

liverpool

Since the invasion there have been numerous attempts by us and America to suppress what happened over there.Even now there is a lot we don't know about (those private army the Americans had)

If there is a narrative it's to get the truth out

Falkirk

It's interesting you have first hand experience of it, sometimes the 'facts" punted out in the news and media are proven to be far from it... (wmd as one example). I like to think that for every video clip they have of US forces cruelly teasing the indigenous population and locking them in cells with no reason and so on... That there are more clips of them being kind and helpful and realising they were a guest in the country, and the reason we never see them is because it doesn't suit the narrative? Perhaps naive. Was that the case in your first hand experience.? "

It wasn't just the Americans.

I was involved in the Al Sweady inquiry.

I don't want to mention the parties questioned, however the info is in the public domain if you want to check it out.

liverpool

It was excellent.

Thought the American guy was v good in it.

Glad to see the anericans have learnt their lesson from Vietnam

Seriously if there was a chimp in the oval office could he have made more of a shitstorm than that?

I wonder if blair and Bush sleep at night.

Falkirk

For the readers among you, American Tragedy is a good read regarding the Vietnam War.

Conspiracies of War is another that covers most conflicts post WW2.

Some eye opening stuff if can emerse yourself.

liverpool

There was a doc on the Vietnam war which was excellent.

By *estivalMan  over a year ago

borehamwood

"It was excellent.

Thought the American guy was v good in it.

Glad to see the anericans have learnt their lesson from Vietnam

Seriously if there was a chimp in the oval office could he have made more of a shitstorm than that?

I wonder if blair and Bush sleep at night."

of course they sleep well you would to if you had as much money in the bank as they do.the sickest thing of all was making blair the iddle east peace envoy when he was one of the arseholes to have helped set it ablaze

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Eastbourne

"

Didn't the russians try to sort Iraq and Afghanistan back in the 70/80's, they failed as well.

No idea why we thought we could win this time.

Just reminds me of tactics employed by the British in

The 6 counties .

By *V-AliceTV/TS  over a year ago

Ayr

"For the readers among you, American Tragedy is a good read regarding the Vietnam War.

Conspiracies of War is another that covers most conflicts post WW2.

Some eye opening stuff if you can immerse yourself."

Agreed. As far as Vietnam goes, A Bright Shining Lie and Long Time Passing are both excellent, too.

To get back to the documentary; I've only seen the first one, so far. It was compelling.

It's about time the people on the ground were interviewed for this event; rather than the politicians, who have had their say over and over again.

It was interesting to see Rudi Reyes beyond his cameo in Generation Kill. Clearly he's more disturbed about it all than he wants to admit to himself. To be fair to him, you can understand why. He is, after all, only human.

Looking forward to the rest of it. It's the sort of thing I'm happy to pay my licence fee for.

liverpool

Didn't the russians try to sort Iraq and Afghanistan back in the 70/80's, they failed as well.

No idea why we thought we could win this time."

The Russians invaded Afghanistan in the 80s

Not sure about Iraq?

liverpool

The 3rd part was excellent.

The footage from the battle was visceral.

I thought chemical weapons were only used by the "bad guys?

Without getting sidetracked does anyone do documentaries like the bbc?

liverpool

Anyone still watching this?

Cant recommend it highly enough.Superb.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

Watched it this far and it is damning in its confirmation that it was one of the biggest fuck ups in recent history by any standards ..

liverpool

"Watched it this far and it is damning in its confirmation that it was one of the biggest fuck ups in recent history by any standards .."

Most definitely.That decision to just dismantle the army etc was trump levels of idiocy.

Thought that American journalist guy was great.

The last one is on isis.

in Lancashire

"Watched it this far and it is damning in its confirmation that it was one of the biggest fuck ups in recent history by any standards ..

Most definitely.That decision to just dismantle the army etc was trump levels of idiocy.

The last one is on isis."

I remember on the day of the march in London having a debate with a guy on the train that the Iraqi people will be better off after 'we' get shot of Saddam..

Then the day they did the shock and awe, left the oil ministry building unscathed yet totalled amongst others the irrigation ministry ..

Madness..

liverpool

"Watched it this far and it is damning in its confirmation that it was one of the biggest fuck ups in recent history by any standards ..

The last one is on isis.

I remember on the day of the march in London having a debate with a guy on the train that the Iraqi people will be better off after 'we' get shot of Saddam..

Then the day they did the shock and awe, left the oil ministry building unscathed yet totalled amongst others the irrigation ministry ..

Madness.."

I knew fuck all about Iraq but I knew it was a mistake to go in there.

I think there is still so much we haven't been told..didnt they send soldiers to defend the oil fields from being attacked?

I thought the lack of anger towards the Americans by the Iraqi contributors was amazing.

You hear blair and Bush speak near the end.Im surprised they didnt ##### on their words.

Tin town

"Anyone still watching this?

Cant recommend it highly enough.Superb."

Yes still wagching it. Very troubled by it, I find it very disturbing... Probably just because of the bare faced lies and the egregious personal interests. But I'm learning all the time.

in Lancashire

The last one is on isis.

Madness..

I knew fuck all about Iraq but I knew it was a mistake to go in there.

I think there is still so much we haven't been told..didnt they send soldiers to defend the oil fields from being attacked?

I thought the lack of anger towards the Americans by the Iraqi contributors was amazing.

You hear blair and Bush speak near the end.Im surprised they didnt ##### on their words."

Am ex services and did struggle personally with going on the march, found myself next to a Burma veteran whose grandson was a serving naval helicopter pilot who would have also been there too if he could..

Not seen it yet. Added to the watchlist. Sounds like required viewing.

By *ackal1Couple  over a year ago

Manchester

Dismantling the Iraqi army was the turning point. They kept a lid on the tribal factions. The Americans insisted they disband. So putting hundreds of thousands of armed men out of work in a broken society is just asking for big trouble.

Isis has its first very well armed recruits.

How telling was the fact the only building protected by the invading army was the oil ministry.

WMD utter bollocks.

I don’t blame the Iraqi people for hating the west. We lied as to why we invaded and we failed to help when we destroyed their country.

Bush and Blair have a lot of innocent blood on their hands from both side of the fight.

liverpool

"Not seen it yet. Added to the watchlist. Sounds like required viewing."

Its excellent.

liverpool

"Dismantling the Iraqi army was the turning point. They kept a lid on the tribal factions. The Americans insisted they disband. So putting hundreds of thousands of armed men out of work in a broken society is just asking for big trouble.

How telling was the fact the only building protected by the invading army was the oil ministry.

WMD utter bollocks.

I don’t blame the Iraqi people for hating the west. We lied as to why we invaded and we failed to help when we destroyed their country.

Bush and Blair have a lot of innocent blood on their hands from both side of the fight.

"

They couldn't make more of a fuck up of it if they tried.

Thought they may have touched upon that private army stuff.

"Dismantling the Iraqi army was the turning point. They kept a lid on the tribal factions. The Americans insisted they disband. So putting hundreds of thousands of armed men out of work in a broken society is just asking for big trouble.

WMD utter bollocks.

They couldn't make more of a fuck up of it if they tried.

Thought they may have touched upon that private army stuff."

Yes the black water contract for armed murderers loose in iraq. They should have covered them!

By *shrop_cpleCouple  over a year ago

Ceredigion

"

Yes the black water contract for armed murderers loose in iraq. They should have covered them! "

If they are there on behalf of The West these cynical murderers are 'Security Contractors'. Didn't you know that? It's only the Russians that have 'Mercenaries' anymore!

By *acky RacersCouple  over a year ago

Lincoln

We thought it was an utterly brilliant documentary series. Only criticism was the fact it solely considered the American side of things. The Brits were involved too...

Falkirk

"We thought it was an utterly brilliant documentary series. Only criticism was the fact it solely considered the American side of things. The Brits were involved too..."

Yes we certainly were.

liverpool

"We thought it was an utterly brilliant documentary series. Only criticism was the fact it solely considered the American side of things. The Brits were involved too..."

The British were mentioned but it certainly focused on America more

By *lasterbatesCouple  over a year ago

Huddersfield

Hang on folks! Iraq and its leader were involved with attacking Iran causing multi 100,000 of dead plus 3 x wounded then after that Kuwait and they did not deserve a good shoeing?. I am ex mil and was involved in GW1 and my son in GW2 - there was no sane way (after the cock up of GW1 of not deposing Saddam) that Iraq could be brought to heel without an invasion and the terrible consequences. Innocent civilians always lose.

liverpool

"Hang on folks! Iraq and its leader were involved with attacking Iran causing multi 100,000 of dead plus 3 x wounded then after that Kuwait and they did not deserve a good shoeing?. I am ex mil and was involved in GW1 and my son in GW2 - there was no sane way (after the cock up of GW1 of not deposing Saddam) that Iraq could be brought to heel without an invasion and the terrible consequences. Innocent civilians always lose. "

And when they attacked Iran the americans backed him.

I'm not sure why we get to decide who gets brought to heel..we seem to pick and choose the bad guys.Saudi have links with al Qaeda,chop peoples heads off and are currently committing war crimes in Yemen.. yet we cheerfully flog them weapons.

No one is arguing Saddam wasnt a dictator..but we made a bad situation a 1000 times worse.

Tin town

Another hard to watch dose of the truth we didn't see at the time.

I just saw a film called official secrets... About the dodgy dossier that Blair and goldsmith were complicit in.

Why none of these fuckers are behind bars is astonishing. War is never glorious but the lies the world was told to get this past the post beggar belief.

liverpool

"Another hard to watch dose of the truth we didn't see at the time.

I just saw a film called official secrets... About the dodgy dossier that Blair and goldsmith were complicit in.

Why none of these fuckers are behind bars is astonishing. War is never glorious but the lies the world was told to get this past the post beggar belief. "

The one with Kiera knightly in?

Yeah its quality that.

There is an American one with Adam driver which is also good(the report)

Unreal the shit they get away with.

"Hang on folks! Iraq and its leader were involved with attacking Iran causing multi 100,000 of dead plus 3 x wounded then after that Kuwait and they did not deserve a good shoeing?. I am ex mil and was involved in GW1 and my son in GW2 - there was no sane way (after the cock up of GW1 of not deposing Saddam) that Iraq could be brought to heel without an invasion and the terrible consequences. Innocent civilians always lose.

And when they attacked Iran the americans backed him.

I'm not sure why we get to decide who gets brought to heel..we seem to pick and choose the bad guys.Saudi have links with al Qaeda,chop peoples heads off and are currently committing war crimes in Yemen.. yet we cheerfully flog them weapons.

No one is arguing Saddam wasnt a dictator..but we made a bad situation a 1000 times worse."

I don't buy this "bringing him to heel" rhetoric either.

The western powers have meddled and fucked up the region for many many years.

ISIS exists thanks to America.

The refugee crisis in the Mediterranean and the channel are also thanks to america, so "bringing him to heel" hasnt really worked has it.

in Lancashire

"Hang on folks! Iraq and its leader were involved with attacking Iran causing multi 100,000 of dead plus 3 x wounded then after that Kuwait and they did not deserve a good shoeing?. I am ex mil and was involved in GW1 and my son in GW2 - there was no sane way (after the cock up of GW1 of not deposing Saddam) that Iraq could be brought to heel without an invasion and the terrible consequences. Innocent civilians always lose. "

After the first gulf war the sanctions that the USA and the rest of it's lackeys including us imposed upon Iraq it was not a threat, there was no and and countless tens of thousands of lives have been lost and will continue to be the case because of a total fabrication..

Am ex services too and one of the duties and responsibilities of any state is to ensure the people who serve are if committed into armed conflict on behalf of the country do so not on a falsehood and properly equipped ..

On both counts the state did not abide by it's duties and large parts of the globe have suffered since with the growth in extremism..

Tin town

Why none of these fuckers are behind bars is astonishing. War is never glorious but the lies the world was told to get this past the post beggar belief.

Yeah its quality that.

Unreal the shit they get away with."

Yeah the Keira Knightly one, recommend it.

I'll look out for the Adam Driver one. I still cant fathom how the UN and war crimes commissions have not prosecuted anyone for the lies and crimes committed before, during and after.

Yeah its quality that.

I'll look out for the Adam Driver one. I still cant fathom how the UN and war crimes commissions have not prosecuted anyone for the lies and crimes committed before, during and after. "

Saddam Hussain wad tried but Blair wasn't deemed appropriate

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jul/31/tony-blair-prosecution-over-iraq-war-blocked-by-judges

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

Yeah its quality that.

I'll look out for the Adam Driver one. I still cant fathom how the UN and war crimes commissions have not prosecuted anyone for the lies and crimes committed before, during and after.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jul/31/tony-blair-prosecution-over-iraq-war-blocked-by-judges"

To top it all he ended up getting paid millions as a middle east envoy and some on here say the tories are corrupt

liverpool

Yeah its quality that.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jul/31/tony-blair-prosecution-over-iraq-war-blocked-by-judgesTo top it all he ended up getting paid millions as a middle east envoy and some on here say the tories are corrupt "

Quite ironic he was the only labour leader to be backed by Murdoch.

By *eroy1000Man  over a year ago

milton keynes

Yeah its quality that.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jul/31/tony-blair-prosecution-over-iraq-war-blocked-by-judgesTo top it all he ended up getting paid millions as a middle east envoy and some on here say the tories are corrupt "

Quite a money spinner he managed. Mess the region up and then get paid to be an envoy there. How he found the time in between dinner speeches is impressive

liverpool

Yeah its quality that.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jul/31/tony-blair-prosecution-over-iraq-war-blocked-by-judgesTo top it all he ended up getting paid millions as a middle east envoy and some on here say the tories are corrupt

Quite a money spinner he managed. Mess the region up and then get paid to be an envoy there. How he found the time in between dinner speeches is impressive"

The only labour pm in living memory backed by the likes of the rag turns out to be a bit of a cunt.

Well knock me down with a feather.

milton keynes

Yeah its quality that.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jul/31/tony-blair-prosecution-over-iraq-war-blocked-by-judgesTo top it all he ended up getting paid millions as a middle east envoy and some on here say the tories are corrupt

Quite a money spinner he managed. Mess the region up and then get paid to be an envoy there. How he found the time in between dinner speeches is impressive

The only labour pm in living memory backed by the likes of the rag turns out to be a bit of a cunt.

Well knock me down with a feather."

Hell of a trick and he seems to have got away with it. Maybe he planned it from the very start

Yeah its quality that.

Quite ironic he was the only labour leader to be backed by Murdoch."

And by thatcher

Tory (teflon) Blair takes a selfie in iraq

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2013/oct/15/tony-blair-selfie-photo-op-imperial-war-museum

milton keynes

"Tory (teflon) Blair takes a selfie in iraq

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2013/oct/15/tony-blair-selfie-photo-op-imperial-war-museum"

Looks like he has been laughing all the way to the bank

Tin town

Yeah its quality that.

Quite ironic he was the only labour leader to be backed by Murdoch."

Even more ironic he was more tory than Cameron and Cameron was more left wing than Blair in the race for who can lose their principles the fastest

Tin town

Yeah its quality that.

Well knock me down with a feather."

I vaguely remember he wasn't the only cunt at the time... Think it was only vince cable and the nutter George Galloway who voted against war... A dreadful episode in our history.. Seemingly airbrushed over.

By *V-AliceTV/TS  over a year ago

Ayr

Agreed. It's a valid criticism. That said, though it's a lack from our point of view, it didn't stop the point being made.

It really is worth watching - and should be required viewing for all our politicians.

liverpool

"We thought it was an utterly brilliant documentary series. Only criticism was the fact it solely considered the American side of things. The Brits were involved too...

Agreed. It's a valid criticism. That said, though it's a lack from our point of view, it didn't stop the point being made.

It really is worth watching - and should be required viewing for all our politicians."

Tbf I think it tried to tell the story from the Iraqi point of view

Something which hasn't been done before

"We thought it was an utterly brilliant documentary series. Only criticism was the fact it solely considered the American side of things. The Brits were involved too...

It really is worth watching - and should be required viewing for all our politicians.

Tbf I think it tried to tell the story from the Iraqi point of view

Something which hasn't been done before "

Near the end of the last episode, it showed iraquis that gave an account of their experiences, listening to the tony blair speach. They said nothing but the expression on their faces spoke volumes

By *heHookyMonsterMan  over a year ago

Coventry

"The Op Telic tours were certainly different shall we say .

The program only highlighted a tiny percentage of what went on.

"

Tiny is right!

» Add a new message to this topic