FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > A Levels downgraded

A Levels downgraded

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

What do people make of this one? Apparently, about 40% of pupils were awarded lower grades than expected.

There's a growing outcry. Williamson has stated he won't do what Scotland did. ie cancelling these results in favour of teachers' assessments.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"What do people make of this one? Apparently, about 40% of pupils were awarded lower grades than expected.

There's a growing outcry. Williamson has stated he won't do what Scotland did. ie cancelling these results in favour of teachers' assessments.

"

They already have 3 options open to them, take these results, appeal and use their mock results or wait till autumn and sit the exam. Not perfect by any stretch, but they aren't just stuck with what they have right now.

"What do people make of this one? Apparently, about 40% of pupils were awarded lower grades than expected.

They already have 3 options open to them, take these results, appeal and use their mock results or wait till autumn and sit the exam. Not perfect by any stretch, but they aren't just stuck with what they have right now. "

They already have 3 options open to them, take these results, appeal and use their mock results or wait till autumn and sit the exam. Not perfect by any stretch, but they aren't just stuck with what they have right now. "

I suspect you're underestimating just how angry and desperate many students and parents feel due to this situation. I also suspect you're underestimating the strain a huge number of appeals will put on the system.

There's also the problm that if a student has to go through an appeal system, that delay can mean their desired course will be filled by other students who didn't have to appeal.

"There's also the problm that if a student has to go through an appeal system, that delay can mean their desired course will be filled by other students who didn't have to appeal."

So what's the options?

And the problem that later exams will be incredibly skewed by students having being out of school for months. And how many students do you think think have been revising after their schooling was stopped for a prolonged period of time? Especially when it seemed they were just supposed to wait on results.

"There's also the problm that if a student has to go through an appeal system, that delay can mean their desired course will be filled by other students who didn't have to appeal.

So what's the options?"

I get the impression the best option would be to base results on known quantities. ie previously submitted coursework + taken tests such as mocks. And teacher assessments.

As it stands, it seems an algorithm is deciding the fate of a generation of students. And a lot of them seem to have been short changed.

Oh and appeals cost money too.

"Oh and appeals cost money too."

So basically option 2 then. From the grades that my school predicted for mocks, I wouldn't have been happy to just accept those either, they were wildly off for both me and my friends. I'd have wanted an appeals process then too. Appeals may cost money, but at least it gives the students another option.

"Oh and appeals cost money too.

So basically option 2 then. From the grades that my school predicted for mocks, I wouldn't have been happy to just accept those either, they were wildly off for both me and my friends. I'd have wanted an appeals process then too. Appeals may cost money, but at least it gives the students another option."

I never said there shouldn't be an appeals system. There should be. (It shouldn't be charged for, though, especially in current circumstances.)

But something is very wrong when a huge number of students are being downgraded. I think it would have been better to base grades on actual work previously submitted + mocks + teacher assessments. As I said already.

So basically option 2 then. From the grades that my school predicted for mocks, I wouldn't have been happy to just accept those either, they were wildly off for both me and my friends. I'd have wanted an appeals process then too. Appeals may cost money, but at least it gives the students another option.

I never said there shouldn't be an appeals system. There should be. (It shouldn't be charged for, though, especially in current circumstances.)

But something is very wrong when a huge number of students are being downgraded. I think it would have been better to base grades on actual work previously submitted + mocks + teacher assessments. As I said already."

Well, it's been a few years since I was at school, but the mock results when I was there were already a combination of coursework and mock exams. Although I think the coursework they do now is much reduced in quantity. Teachers could be consulted, but then you have issues with independence and impartiality if they know the students personally.

But something is very wrong when a huge number of students are being downgraded. I think it would have been better to base grades on actual work previously submitted + mocks + teacher assessments. As I said already.

Well, it's been a few years since I was at school, but the mock results when I was there were already a combination of coursework and mock exams. Although I think the coursework they do now is much reduced in quantity. Teachers could be consulted, but then you have issues with independence and impartiality if they know the students personally. "

Yes, there's always some problem with impartiality. But I suspect the things I've suggested would be better than the growing uproar of a generation of shorted students and enraged parents.

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

"Oh and appeals cost money too."
No they have waivered the appeal fee,also your idea of using mocks some schools deliberately mark these low to force the pupils to work harder.They have 3 options which seems fair.

"Oh and appeals cost money too.No they have waivered the appeal fee,also your idea of using mocks some schools deliberately mark these low to force the pupils to work harder.They have 3 options which seems fair. "

Just googled it in case there had been a development. As on now, they have not waived the appeal fee. Unless you've seen something I haven't.

And 40% of students being downgraded due to an algorithm doesn't seem like the fairest thing in the world.

near ipswich

"And 40% of students being downgraded due to an algorithm doesn't seem like the fairest thing in the world."
The sensible thing to do if you think you have been shafted is to take the exam in the autumn which everyone has the right to do.No disputing the grade then.

near ipswich

"Oh and appeals cost money too.No they have waivered the appeal fee,also your idea of using mocks some schools deliberately mark these low to force the pupils to work harder.They have 3 options which seems fair.

Just googled it in case there had been a development. As on now, they have not waived the appeal fee. Unless you've seen something I haven't."

Yes they have gavin williamson was on the bbc this morning saying exactly that.

"And 40% of students being downgraded due to an algorithm doesn't seem like the fairest thing in the world.The sensible thing to do if you think you have been shafted is to take the exam in the autumn which everyone has the right to do.No disputing the grade then."

By that point, a student's desired course may well have been filled. And their schooling was interrupted for months. So any exam would hardly be an ideal situation.

near ipswich

"And 40% of students being downgraded due to an algorithm doesn't seem like the fairest thing in the world.The sensible thing to do if you think you have been shafted is to take the exam in the autumn which everyone has the right to do.No disputing the grade then.

By that point, a student's desired course may well have been filled. And their schooling was interrupted for months. So any exam would hardly be an ideal situation.

"

OK fair point whats your solution?

"Oh and appeals cost money too.No they have waivered the appeal fee,also your idea of using mocks some schools deliberately mark these low to force the pupils to work harder.They have 3 options which seems fair.

Just googled it in case there had been a development. As on now, they have not waived the appeal fee. Unless you've seen something I haven't.Yes they have gavin williamson was on the bbc this morning saying exactly that."

I've read nothing reported anywhere about appeal fees being waived. I'll watch the thing you mentioned, though, to see if he says anything on it.

"And 40% of students being downgraded due to an algorithm doesn't seem like the fairest thing in the world.The sensible thing to do if you think you have been shafted is to take the exam in the autumn which everyone has the right to do.No disputing the grade then.

"

I suggested my thoughts above. Happy to hear other views from anybody else.

near ipswich

I suggested my thoughts above. Happy to hear other views from anybody else."

Yeah but schools are always going to err on the plus side of grades as it reflects on their ability and the school.This is great for the pupils but leaves last years and next years pupils at a disadvantage .There is no solution really just as in life there are winners and losers,but i repeat again if i thought i was being shafted i would sit the exam.

I suggested my thoughts above. Happy to hear other views from anybody else.Yeah but schools are always going to err on the plus side of grades as it reflects on their ability and the school.This is great for the pupils but leaves last years and next years pupils at a disadvantage .There is no solution really just as in life there are winners and losers,but i repeat again if i thought i was being shafted i would sit the exam."

But there is a solution. Teachers are professionals. They should be listened to and trusted, on the whole. There will always be some level of bias, but nothing like what is being suggested. This whole downgrading situation has occurred because the government has applied an opaque algorithm instead of taking true account of work previously done + teachers' knowledge and expertise regarding their students.

And you previously admitted taking the exam in the future is an issue after such teaching disruption. It's odd you now seem happy with that solution.

Also taking an exam in the future doesn't help if that delay means your course is full by the time you are able to apply.

And I still can't see anything about Williamson saying any fees for appeals will be waived. Can you point me to where he said that exactly?

near ipswich

"And I still can't see anything about Williamson saying any fees for appeals will be waived. Can you point me to where he said that exactly?"
Mate im sure that is what he said on the bbc this morning but if you cant find anything im happy to say i could have misheard.

"And I still can't see anything about Williamson saying any fees for appeals will be waived. Can you point me to where he said that exactly?Mate im sure that is what he said on the bbc this morning but if you cant find anything im happy to say i could have misheard."

I could have missed it. But it seems v unlikely any waiving of fees wouldn't be in the news somewhere now if he'd said it. Especially given the uproar over this whole situation.

near ipswich

"And I still can't see anything about Williamson saying any fees for appeals will be waived. Can you point me to where he said that exactly?Mate im sure that is what he said on the bbc this morning but if you cant find anything im happy to say i could have misheard.

I could have missed it. But it seems v unlikely any waiving of fees wouldn't be in the news somewhere now if he'd said it. Especially given the uproar over this whole situation."

Yeah i think you are right, wales have i may have been getting mixed up with that.

"And I still can't see anything about Williamson saying any fees for appeals will be waived. Can you point me to where he said that exactly?Mate im sure that is what he said on the bbc this morning but if you cant find anything im happy to say i could have misheard.

I could have missed it. But it seems v unlikely any waiving of fees wouldn't be in the news somewhere now if he'd said it. Especially given the uproar over this whole situation.Yeah i think you are right, wales have i may have been getting mixed up with that."

Fair enough.

(And it's quite possible they will waive the fees as pressure grows. I expect there will be U-turns over all this at some point.)

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

I suggested my thoughts above. Happy to hear other views from anybody else.Yeah but schools are always going to err on the plus side of grades as it reflects on their ability and the school.This is great for the pupils but leaves last years and next years pupils at a disadvantage .There is no solution really just as in life there are winners and losers,but i repeat again if i thought i was being shafted i would sit the exam.

But there is a solution. Teachers are professionals. They should be listened to and trusted, on the whole. There will always be some level of bias, but nothing like what is being suggested. This whole downgrading situation has occurred because the government has applied an opaque algorithm instead of taking true account of work previously done + teachers' knowledge and expertise regarding their students.

And you previously admitted taking the exam in the future is an issue after such teaching disruption. It's odd you now seem happy with that solution.

Also taking an exam in the future doesn't help if that delay means your course is full by the time you are able to apply.

"

The downgrading has been done by the Exam Boards. They have moderated the results, not the Goverment.

I suggested my thoughts above. Happy to hear other views from anybody else.Yeah but schools are always going to err on the plus side of grades as it reflects on their ability and the school.This is great for the pupils but leaves last years and next years pupils at a disadvantage .There is no solution really just as in life there are winners and losers,but i repeat again if i thought i was being shafted i would sit the exam.

The downgrading has been done by the Exam Boards. They have moderated the results, not the Goverment. "

I'm certain the Department for Education and the Secretary of State for Education have nothing to do with education in this country.

near ipswich

I could have missed it. But it seems v unlikely any waiving of fees wouldn't be in the news somewhere now if he'd said it. Especially given the uproar over this whole situation.Yeah i think you are right, wales have i may have been getting mixed up with that.

Fair enough.

(And it's quite possible they will waive the fees as pressure grows. I expect there will be U-turns over all this at some point.)"

This fee thing is just Ks trying to look good,its not the students that pay the fee its the school. If the student achieves a higher grade the schoolpays nothing anyway its only if they dont.

I could have missed it. But it seems v unlikely any waiving of fees wouldn't be in the news somewhere now if he'd said it. Especially given the uproar over this whole situation.Yeah i think you are right, wales have i may have been getting mixed up with that.

Fair enough.

(And it's quite possible they will waive the fees as pressure grows. I expect there will be U-turns over all this at some point.)This fee thing is just Ks trying to look good,its not the students that pay the fee its the school. If the student achieves a higher grade the schoolpays nothing anyway its only if they dont."

Not quite true, on the charging front. Please read this:

https://schoolsweek.co.uk/exams-2020-schools-will-face-charges-for-unsuccessful-appeals/

And any charges to schools will effectively take away money from those schools. Given the fact we're likely to see a huge amount of appeals, that could be a lot of money lost by schools. That means less money they can use to educate their students in the future.

near ipswich

Fair enough.

(And it's quite possible they will waive the fees as pressure grows. I expect there will be U-turns over all this at some point.)This fee thing is just Ks trying to look good,its not the students that pay the fee its the school. If the student achieves a higher grade the schoolpays nothing anyway its only if they dont.

https://schoolsweek.co.uk/exams-2020-schools-will-face-charges-for-unsuccessful-appeals/"

Thats unsuccessful appeals haven't the gov said they can appeal as one of the triplelock options?

Fair enough.

(And it's quite possible they will waive the fees as pressure grows. I expect there will be U-turns over all this at some point.)This fee thing is just Ks trying to look good,its not the students that pay the fee its the school. If the student achieves a higher grade the schoolpays nothing anyway its only if they dont.

https://schoolsweek.co.uk/exams-2020-schools-will-face-charges-for-unsuccessful-appeals/Thats unsuccessful appeals haven't the gov said they can appeal as one of the triplelock options? "

From the link I just sent: "As in a normal year, schools will not be charged if their appeal is successful on most grounds. However, three of the four boards will charge for all appeals made on the basis of a mistake on the part of a school, even if the appeal is successful."

So it's not just about unsuccessful appeals.

And I haven't read up on the triple lock stuff yet as it sounds like more meaningless buzz words this government keeps trotting out.

I guess I'm going to have to read it at some point. *sigh*

near ipswich

Fair enough.

https://schoolsweek.co.uk/exams-2020-schools-will-face-charges-for-unsuccessful-appeals/Thats unsuccessful appeals haven't the gov said they can appeal as one of the triplelock options?

From the link I just sent: "As in a normal year, schools will not be charged if their appeal is successful on most grounds. However, three of the four boards will charge for all appeals made on the basis of a mistake on the part of a school, even if the appeal is successful."

So it's not just about unsuccessful appeals."

Yes a mistake on the part of the school you can see why that is to stop poorly performing schools appealing every year.All will become clear on monday when they give the details on the appeal process.

By *obka3Couple  over a year ago

bournemouth

Of course schools will give their students a good assessment, their reputation and desirability depends on good results, the fact is that even after the exam boards have moderated the results put forward by schools the level of A and A plus passes is the highest ever, unless this years students are all geniuses that suggests schools have exaggerated students abilities,if individual students think they have been hard done by they can appeal, use their mock results or sit the exam later this year, but no they want the government to give them a higher result whether they deserve it or not.

By *riveu2distractionMan  over a year ago

Nr Bridgend

Totally agree with last comment.

Every school wants the best grades. Overall pass grades up by 2 percent even after moderators downgraded 40 percent of grades. Don't need to be a genius to see its pretty fair.

If anyone at fault its schools and government for not managing student expectations better

Fair enough.

https://schoolsweek.co.uk/exams-2020-schools-will-face-charges-for-unsuccessful-appeals/Thats unsuccessful appeals haven't the gov said they can appeal as one of the triplelock options?

So it's not just about unsuccessful appeals.Yes a mistake on the part of the school you can see why that is to stop poorly performing schools appealing every year.All will become clear on monday when they give the details on the appeal process."

Clarity from this government would make a nice change.

There is a bizarre mistrust of teachers. It feels like tories have been sowing this mistrust among the public deliberately.

By *riveu2distractionMan  over a year ago

Nr Bridgend

Devolved nations struggling with this too. Not just tories in London. Labour in Wales affected too

bournemouth

"There is a bizarre mistrust of teachers. It feels like tories have been sowing this mistrust among the public deliberately."

Whereas you mistrust the government on this despite them having nothing to do with it, now that is bizarre.

"There is a bizarre mistrust of teachers. It feels like tories have been sowing this mistrust among the public deliberately.

Whereas you mistrust the government on this despite them having nothing to do with it, now that is bizarre.

"

Ah the old deflection tactic.

I suppose the government truly has nothing to do with the country's education and school's. I'm convinced.

bournemouth

"There is a bizarre mistrust of teachers. It feels like tories have been sowing this mistrust among the public deliberately.

I suppose the government truly has nothing to do with the country's education and school's. I'm convinced."

The exam boards moderated the schools suggested grades, the government did not, is it really that hard for you to understand

I suppose the government truly has nothing to do with the country's education and school's. I'm convinced.

The exam boards moderated the schools suggested grades, the government did not, is it really that hard for you to understand "

Yup, very hard indeed. You see, my evil teachers grossly inflated my grades when I was at school. So I can barely read or understand anything.

By *eavenNhellCouple  over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

One of the thickest Tory Ministers - Education Secretary Gavin Williamson - has said students from *working class* backgrounds will NOT be marked up, out of fear that “pupils will be over-promoted into jobs that are beyond their competence" ... something Williamson knows all too much about, being completely out of his depth as a government Minister.

Some schools are reporting more than half their students results as downgraded. When this happened in Scotland last week, the Scottish government overturned the decision, after backlash from students, who argued that it wasn’t fair that they were being downgraded based on socio-economic factors. Williamson has forewarned there will be no such clemency for working class English students, who will remain downgraded.

ASCL union rep Geoff Barton says they have received “heartbreaking feedback from school leaders about grades being pulled down in a way that they feel to be utterly unfair and unfathomable”.

And before you start thinking this might not be a class issue, ***There will be no downgrading of exam results at Eton or Harrow***

Why should working class kids be treated as second class citizens in England, while the children of government Ministers, judges and journalists - regardless of their competency - keep their high marks?

Is he not concerned that rich kids will be “over-promoted into jobs that are beyond their competence”?

Getting two B’s and a C when all other marks have been straight A’s is an unjustifiable outrage.

At the beginning of lockdown, the Prime Minister said students would not be punished for exams being cancelled due to the virus. Another lie.

"One of the thickest Tory Ministers - Education Secretary Gavin Williamson - has said students from *working class* backgrounds will NOT be marked up, out of fear that “pupils will be over-promoted into jobs that are beyond their competence" ... something Williamson knows all too much about, being completely out of his depth as a government Minister.

Some schools are reporting more than half their students results as downgraded. When this happened in Scotland last week, the Scottish government overturned the decision, after backlash from students, who argued that it wasn’t fair that they were being downgraded based on socio-economic factors. Williamson has forewarned there will be no such clemency for working class English students, who will remain downgraded.

ASCL union rep Geoff Barton says they have received “heartbreaking feedback from school leaders about grades being pulled down in a way that they feel to be utterly unfair and unfathomable”.

And before you start thinking this might not be a class issue, ***There will be no downgrading of exam results at Eton or Harrow***

Why should working class kids be treated as second class citizens in England, while the children of government Ministers, judges and journalists - regardless of their competency - keep their high marks?

Is he not concerned that rich kids will be “over-promoted into jobs that are beyond their competence”?

Getting two B’s and a C when all other marks have been straight A’s is an unjustifiable outrage.

At the beginning of lockdown, the Prime Minister said students would not be punished for exams being cancelled due to the virus. Another lie."

Expect replies that the government isn't responsible for anything very soon.

(But if the government isn't ever responsible, it rather raises the question: what's the point of them at all?)

near ipswich

"One of the thickest Tory Ministers - Education Secretary Gavin Williamson - has said students from *working class* backgrounds will NOT be marked up, out of fear that “pupils will be over-promoted into jobs that are beyond their competence" ... something Williamson knows all too much about, being completely out of his depth as a government Minister.

At the beginning of lockdown, the Prime Minister said students would not be punished for exams being cancelled due to the virus. Another lie."

How are they being punished ? they have 3 options, take the grade given use their mock results or take the exam in october.

bournemouth

Entitled society, things dont go as you want instead of taking one option stamp your feet liked spoilt kids.

Still waiting for the evidence that the government has a role in the exam boards .

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

I feel very sorry for them right now. It’s been a horrible year of uncertainty and coping with the next steps towards the future is not easy at that age.

I hope it’s sorted.

bournemouth

"I feel very sorry for them right now. It’s been a horrible year of uncertainty and coping with the next steps towards the future is not easy at that age.

I hope it’s sorted. "

It has ben they have three options, one of which has always been available sitting the exam later in the year to try and boost grades, we have friend whose son took one three times till he got the grade he needed, didnt moan didnt winge just got on with it,

North Bucks

"I feel very sorry for them right now. It’s been a horrible year of uncertainty and coping with the next steps towards the future is not easy at that age.

I hope it’s sorted.

It has ben they have three options, one of which has always been available sitting the exam later in the year to try and boost grades, we have friend whose son took one three times till he got the grade he needed, didnt moan didnt winge just got on with it,"

I still feel very sorry for them. I remember my A levels and the relief I felt getting into the Uni of my choice.

But something is very wrong when a huge number of students are being downgraded. I think it would have been better to base grades on actual work previously submitted + mocks + teacher assessments. As I said already."

What is "wrong" is a combination of over optimistic teachers and (some) from lower performing schools inflating grades to boost their schools apparent "success".

In Scotland grades are now up 14.4% on last year.....ridiculous and clearly not correct.

I speak as an ex-teacher with several past and present teachers in extended family and some friends. I speak from much experience.

No matter what kind of system is used it will be criticised. Another case of government can't win either way.

near ipswich

Fair enough.

So it's not just about unsuccessful appeals.Yes a mistake on the part of the school you can see why that is to stop poorly performing schools appealing every year.All will become clear on monday when they give the details on the appeal process.

Clarity from this government would make a nice change."

I was wrong the details are released today seems schools wont have to pay to appeal this year.

By *ony 2016Man  over a year ago

Huddersfield /derby cinemas

If parents have spent a small fortune on their child's education only to find that their marks are downgraded I can understand and appreciate why they would be upset and angry, so raising the grades in private schools could be balanced by reducing those in disadvantaged areas ,, an example of the Tory government " leveling things up "

By *djanesmithxxTV/TS  over a year ago

Darlington

Answer is give every student an A Grade in everything and they will be happy.

The pass at all cost has failed so to make everyone a winner. Tony Blair was to blame for all this. Grades should be on merit only not a gift.

Fair enough.

So it's not just about unsuccessful appeals.Yes a mistake on the part of the school you can see why that is to stop poorly performing schools appealing every year.All will become clear on monday when they give the details on the appeal process.

Clarity from this government would make a nice change.I was wrong the details are released today seems schools wont have to pay to appeal this year. "

I was glad to hear about the fees being waived. It had to be done.

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

"If parents have spent a small fortune on their child's education only to find that their marks are downgraded I can understand and appreciate why they would be upset and angry, so raising the grades in private schools could be balanced by reducing those in disadvantaged areas ,, an example of the Tory government " leveling things up " "

And people think we live in a meritocracy.

By *allySlinkyWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

"Tony Blair was to blame for all this. "

I didn't realise it was Tony Bair who cancelled all the exams this year and devised the algorithm to calculate the grades.

liverpool

"Entitled society, things dont go as you want instead of taking one option stamp your feet liked spoilt kids.

Still waiting for the evidence that the government has a role in the exam boards ."

Why have private school grades been over estimated?

Grantham

"Entitled society, things dont go as you want instead of taking one option stamp your feet liked spoilt kids.

Still waiting for the evidence that the government has a role in the exam boards .

Why have private school grades been over estimated?"

Its all to do with "cohorts" and the size of them.

liverpool

Why have private school grades been over estimated?

Its all to do with "cohorts" and the size of them.

"

What are cohorts?

Leeds

In a school a cohort is a group of students in the same year, or a group taking the same subject

liverpool

"In a school a cohort is a group of students in the same year, or a group taking the same subject"

So how does that explain private schools being upgraded..and normal schools downgraded?

Leeds

The algorithm looks at how a particular school performed over past years. So if a school in a deprived area has never had a student get A* before it was impossible for someone to get one in that school this year, however clever they were.

Grantham

"In a school a cohort is a group of students in the same year, or a group taking the same subject

So how does that explain private schools being upgraded..and normal schools downgraded?"

Check out Channel 4s Factcheck on the internet.

Its very long winded but all the information is there.

North Bucks

"The algorithm looks at how a particular school performed over past years. So if a school in a deprived area has never had a student get A* before it was impossible for someone to get one in that school this year, however clever they were. "

Very unfair on gifted individuals. But I can see why private schools came out better from that explanation.

liverpool

"The algorithm looks at how a particular school performed over past years. So if a school in a deprived area has never had a student get A* before it was impossible for someone to get one in that school this year, however clever they were. "

Tbf the ones who already go to Eton etc have already got it tough.

You can see why they need a leg up.

By *kstallionMan  over a year ago

milton keynes

"The algorithm looks at how a particular school performed over past years. So if a school in a deprived area has never had a student get A* before it was impossible for someone to get one in that school this year, however clever they were.

Very unfair on gifted individuals. But I can see why private schools came out better from that explanation. "

Your correct it does sound unfair on any gifted pupils at a school that does not do well traditionally but if I heard correctly they can opt to take the actual exams

Leeds

"if I heard correctly they can opt to take the actual exams"

But they will miss going to University this year if they resit

"if I heard correctly they can opt to take the actual exams

But they will miss going to University this year if they resit "

And if they appeal - and that process takes too long - they'll miss out too as their course will have been filled.

liverpool

That gavin Williamson getting a log heat.Big protests today from students unsurprisingly a bit miffed.

Bj said the results were 'robust'

Seriously has he ever said anything that is even a distant relative of the truth?

I think they'll do a U-turn and follow Scotland's example.

Because if they don't, the same fiasco will likely happen all over again when GCSEs are released...

By *exy couple128Couple  over a year ago

Scarborough

A levels is that something to do with anal sex?

"A levels is that something to do with anal sex? "

We all know which bits of the papers you've been reading.

By *exy7Man  over a year ago

Bristol

Do ministers ever resign these days? Do they still get sacked?

I mean how can the clown Williamson still be in the gvt after this? What about Hancock with his world beating deaths number and various fiascos? What about Robert Jenrick ( Bob the builder)?

Unless you put your hand on a journalist’s knee, anything goes or any level of incompetence goes.

This gvt is setting new standards in every way. A proper race to the bottom.

Just let the situation deflate after three or four days and everybody will have moved on. Cummings’ style!

"Do ministers ever resign these days? Do they still get sacked?

I mean how can the clown Williamson still be in the gvt after this? What about Hancock with his world beating deaths number and various fiascos? What about Robert Jenrick ( Bob the builder)?

Unless you put your hand on a journalist’s knee, anything goes or any level of incompetence goes.

Just let the situation deflate after three or four days and everybody will have moved on. Cummings’ style!

"

. ,,,"slight" problem with the Cummings plan of of allowing this particular fiasco to settle down after 3 or 4 days ,.....that will take us to Thursday ,,,,,,when the GCSE results are out

liverpool

"Do ministers ever resign these days? Do they still get sacked?

"

They are just following in the footsteps of their leader tbf

I was thinking about this with mrs N and we both agreed that it doesn't seem fair. as an anecdote I experience similar situation when I was 18 and the awarding of an O'level rather than E grade meant my life went down a completely different course.

So here's the conundrum. I bet Ofqual sat in front of their PC screens trying to work out a way to sort this and came up with this idea as the solution. They possibly rightly thought that it takes away the crushing responsibility of the teachers at the college themselves.

Can you imagine opening your result and finding your teacher had awarded you a measily O grade in Chemistry, even though during the last few months you'd put so much effort in to at laeast get that E grade so that you could go off and study Geology which was your passion at the time. Meaning your life was going to take a completely different course to what you thought.

I think you'd be fricking angry at the teacher and possibly might be so angry that you'd go and give him or her a piece of your mind. Perhaps this is what they are trying to avoid.

Just a thought. It is a rock and a hard place.

Leeds

The form the students received told them their mock result, their teacher predicted grade and their final algorithm calculated result. So they still know what their teacher thought they deserved.

"The form the students received told them their mock result, their teacher predicted grade and their final algorithm calculated result. So they still know what their teacher thought they deserved. "

It has taken the ultimate responsibility away from the teacher though hasn't it ?

My guess is this is what it is all about.

Grantham

Won't be long before parents are threatening legal action against teachers.

Leeds

Why is it the teachers fault. Why would parents threaten them with legal action ?

liverpool

"Won't be long before parents are threatening legal action against teachers. "

They would probably lose a lot of money.

liverpool

"Why is it the teachers fault. Why would parents threaten them with legal action ?"

Because there is a trend here.

The NHS suffered through last of ppe so Hancock made a comment about plucking money from thin air.

The old peoples homes were devastated so bj pointed the fingers at them

Now teaches are in the firing line.

See the pattern?

"I think they'll do a U-turn and follow Scotland's example.

Because if they don't, the same fiasco will likely happen all over again when GCSEs are released..."

I think you are right. But not sure the grades will be trusted in future. They went up an unprecidented and impossible 14.4% in Scotland on teacher "assessment". Teachers always tend to assess high but that is taking the piss.

Grantham

"Why is it the teachers fault. Why would parents threaten them with legal action ?"

Because teacher's grades are subjective. And probably not consistent enough over the country.

There's already two legal cases being mooted over the present system.

"I think they'll do a U-turn and follow Scotland's example.

Because if they don't, the same fiasco will likely happen all over again when GCSEs are released...

I think you are right. But not sure the grades will be trusted in future. They went up an unprecidented and impossible 14.4% in Scotland on teacher "assessment". Teachers always tend to assess high but that is taking the piss. "

Not sure if it matters that much if they were taking the piss or not. I am pretty sure we are all grown up enough to accept that a teacher in the position of responsibility is going to mark higher. All it means is that for one unprecedented year the university entrance people take this into account and accept the teacher assessments. There will be a lot less foreign students this year anyway so surely they can be more flexible. All seems a bit daft to me but there again common sense seems to have gone out of the window.

While the Tory government dither and delay in sorting out this mess , I wonder how long the dither and delay would have been if the Eton pupils grades had been lowered ???

Bristol

This mess is probably the unions' fault yet again...

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

This is a complete cluster fuck, by ofqual and the government and before the GCSEs are released must be resolved..

As lord baker says when your in a hole..

Bristol

"This is a complete cluster fuck, by ofqual and the government and before the GCSEs are released must be resolved..

As lord baker says when your in a hole.."

These muppets have fucked everything up since they got in. They were not chosen for their competence but because they are brexiters. Anything else doesn’t matter. They can fuck up anything in this country as long as we’re out of the EU, it’s all fine.

Bristol

Five months is not long enough that an algorithm awarding results according to last year’s results is the most stupid idea.

I dread to think of this country was at war with these dipsticks.

"This is a complete cluster fuck, by ofqual and the government and before the GCSEs are released must be resolved..

As lord baker says when your in a hole..

These muppets have fucked everything up since they got in. They were not chosen for their competence but because they are brexiters. Anything else doesn’t matter. They can fuck up anything in this country as long as we’re out of the EU, it’s all fine. "

Yep, unfortunately I don't think they will find a good way to fix this

Glad that the u turn has taken place , very surprised that the gent from Ofqual was the gent pushed in front of the camera , also extremely surprised that he appologised because he had done exactly the job that Johnson ,Williamson and Cummings had asked him to do ,,Why should someone appologise for doing their job ?

The Ofqual chap didn't look happy, did he?

"The Ofqual chap didn't look happy, did he?"
. No , he didn't

By *eavenNhellCouple  over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

"Glad that the u turn has taken place , very surprised that the gent from Ofqual was the gent pushed in front of the camera , also extremely surprised that he appologised because he had done exactly the job that Johnson ,Williamson and Cummings had asked him to do ,,Why should someone appologise for doing their job ?"
what a total omnishsambles this " government " is totally and utterly spineless .

"Glad that the u turn has taken place , very surprised that the gent from Ofqual was the gent pushed in front of the camera , also extremely surprised that he appologised because he had done exactly the job that Johnson ,Williamson and Cummings had asked him to do ,,Why should someone appologise for doing their job ?what a total omnishsambles this " government " is totally and utterly spineless ."

Poppycock

It stood up for DurhamDom & Robert Jenrick &

No doubt will back the alledged Rapist right up to the point of sentencing !!

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

"Glad that the u turn has taken place , very surprised that the gent from Ofqual was the gent pushed in front of the camera , also extremely surprised that he appologised because he had done exactly the job that Johnson ,Williamson and Cummings had asked him to do ,,Why should someone appologise for doing their job ?"

Ofqual are the organisation responsible for exams qualification and assessments.it's exactly their job. Who else is going to announce it?

By *ate_BMan  over a year ago

London

At this rate I feel we may have a GE in 2yrs. Tories are doing much of Keir's work and today's backpedaling is a good example.

liverpool

Bj is allergic to cameras and questions

"Glad that the u turn has taken place , very surprised that the gent from Ofqual was the gent pushed in front of the camera , also extremely surprised that he appologised because he had done exactly the job that Johnson ,Williamson and Cummings had asked him to do ,,Why should someone appologise for doing their job ?

Ofqual are the organisation responsible for exams qualification and assessments.it's exactly their job. Who else is going to announce it? "

. Ofqual work for and follow government instructions, the announcement should have been made by either The Education Secretary ( Williamson) or The Prime Minister (Johnson) ,,unless of course Johnson is on another holiday ,,When Williamson did appear he should have resigned ,although by that time Johnson should have sacked him ,,,,

"Glad that the u turn has taken place , very surprised that the gent from Ofqual was the gent pushed in front of the camera , also extremely surprised that he appologised because he had done exactly the job that Johnson ,Williamson and Cummings had asked him to do ,,Why should someone appologise for doing their job ?

Ofqual are the organisation responsible for exams qualification and assessments.it's exactly their job. Who else is going to announce it? . Ofqual work for and follow government instructions, the announcement should have been made by either The Education Secretary ( Williamson) or The Prime Minister (Johnson) ,,unless of course Johnson is on another holiday ,,When Williamson did appear he should have resigned ,although by that time Johnson should have sacked him ,,,,"

Funnily enough, Johnson is on holiday again. There's apparently nothing important going on.

Any news on how much this shambles has cost the taxpayers?

"Any news on how much this shambles has cost the taxpayers? "

I believe it's roughly a shitillion pounds.

So it's a drop in the ocean compared to the PPE screw ups, the track and trace screw up and Brexit, the mother of all screw ups.

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

Ofqual are the organisation responsible for exams qualification and assessments.it's exactly their job. Who else is going to announce it? . Ofqual work for and follow government instructions, the announcement should have been made by either The Education Secretary ( Williamson) or The Prime Minister (Johnson) ,,unless of course Johnson is on another holiday ,,When Williamson did appear he should have resigned ,although by that time Johnson should have sacked him ,,,,"

Ofqual - As a Non-ministerial department Ofqual is accountable to Parliament, through the Education Select Committee. It is not accountable to government ministers and is independent from ministerial government.

This would mean Robert Halfon should have made the announcement / resigned / removed as chair of the select committee?

Ofqual are the organisation responsible for exams qualification and assessments.it's exactly their job. Who else is going to announce it? . Ofqual work for and follow government instructions, the announcement should have been made by either The Education Secretary ( Williamson) or The Prime Minister (Johnson) ,,unless of course Johnson is on another holiday ,,When Williamson did appear he should have resigned ,although by that time Johnson should have sacked him ,,,,

Ofqual - As a Non-ministerial department Ofqual is accountable to Parliament, through the Education Select Committee. It is not accountable to government ministers and is independent from ministerial government.

This would mean Robert Halfon should have made the announcement / resigned / removed as chair of the select committee?"

. Thought Gavin Williamson would tell Ofqual to go away and shut up

By *L RogueMan  over a year ago

London

...all this and Johnson's on holiday and quiet.

Best PM ever...

Ofqual are the organisation responsible for exams qualification and assessments.it's exactly their job. Who else is going to announce it? . Ofqual work for and follow government instructions, the announcement should have been made by either The Education Secretary ( Williamson) or The Prime Minister (Johnson) ,,unless of course Johnson is on another holiday ,,When Williamson did appear he should have resigned ,although by that time Johnson should have sacked him ,,,,

This would mean Robert Halfon should have made the announcement / resigned / removed as chair of the select committee?. Thought Gavin Williamson would tell Ofqual to go away and shut up "

Maybe he was busy leaking again...

It's all been a waste of time and money.

why roll out an algorithm then blindly trust it, instead of comparing testing it using results from previous actual exam results and teacher assessments from the recent past and see if the algorithm had compatible results before blurting out results

liverpool

This would mean Robert Halfon should have made the announcement / resigned / removed as chair of the select committee?"

Are the gmnt actually accountable for anything?

This would mean Robert Halfon should have made the announcement / resigned / removed as chair of the select committee?

Are the gmnt actually accountable for anything?"

Are you suggesting the government should be responsible for things they're in charge of? It's a remarkable idea.

Are the gmnt actually accountable for anything?"

of course not, how dare you suggest otherwise

» Add a new message to this topic