FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > What Brexit Meant

What Brexit Meant

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *bernath OP   Couple  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

I thought it was about independence and being a free sovereign nation.

But from what I am seeing its becoming some quasi backscratching exercise.

Stick to your principals. You wanted it, then have a clean break.

The UK gov wants a friends with benefits type scenario with the EU.

I hope the EU just follow the rules.

One: Don't pick up the phone

You know the UK gov’s only callin' 'cause the UK is d*unk and alone

Two: Don't the UK in

You'll have to kick the UK out again

Three: Don't be the UK’s friend

You know you're gonna wake up in the UK’s bed in the morning

And if you're under UK, you ain't gettin' over the UK.

Ok?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

I think last week.. I asked the question what was brexit for?why did we decide we wanted to leave?

Still waiting for an answer

Gloucestershire

"I think last week.. I asked the question what was brexit for?why did we decide we wanted to leave?

Still waiting for an answer "

It was a question ages ago. It happened now.

It now a question of why ain’t our gov sticking to the promise of a pure brexit for?

The are just weasling the whole thing up.

If you are going to deliver the Brexit that the majority demanded. Then they should do it, not ask for favors or do deals with the EU.

Why backdown for?

What a bunch of weaklings.

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

"I think last week.. I asked the question what was brexit for?why did we decide we wanted to leave?

And you won’t get one.

Brexit was, and still is, an action of irrational Exceptionalism that has completely failed to acknowledge how the world has changed since the days that many Brexiters want to go back to.

It appears to be about a feeling of “pride” and we know what pride comes before...

North West

It now a question of why ain’t our gov sticking to the promise of a pure brexit for?

If you are going to deliver the Brexit that the majority demanded. Then they should do it, not ask for favors or do deals with the EU.

Why backdown for?

What a bunch of weaklings."

Is your objection to doing deals with everyone? Or just the EU?

Why do you think generally countries, territories and blocs all over the world are continuously negotiating, renewing and renegotiating trade deals? Specifically why are most countries in the world trying to negotiate trade with the EU when we are looking to run away?

Gloucestershire

Why backdown for?

Why do you think generally countries, territories and blocs all over the world are continuously negotiating, renewing and renegotiating trade deals? Specifically why are most countries in the world trying to negotiate trade with the EU when we are looking to run away? "

For a government who despises the EU as an institution, asking for preferrential treatment from them when we have left, it is nonsensical.

If they had the balls, they should stick to their ideals.

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

Why backdown for?

Why do you think generally countries, territories and blocs all over the world are continuously negotiating, renewing and renegotiating trade deals? Specifically why are most countries in the world trying to negotiate trade with the EU when we are looking to run away?

For a government who despises the EU as an institution, asking for preferrential treatment from them when we have left, it is nonsensical.

"

No body especially the government despises the eu the country wanted to leave the institution, that does not mean they never want to trade again get a grip mate.

Gloucestershire

Why backdown for?

No body especially the government despises the eu the country wanted to leave the institution, that does not mean they never want to trade again get a grip mate."

Trade with the EU means your making consessions on our sovereignty. We need to adhere to their rules.

Brexit was about taking back control, looks like the government wants to give more control back to them.

Bunch of weaklings I say!

near ipswich

Why backdown for?

No body especially the government despises the eu the country wanted to leave the institution, that does not mean they never want to trade again get a grip mate.

Trade with the EU means your making consessions on our sovereignty. We need to adhere to their rules.

Brexit was about taking back control, looks like the government wants to give more control back to them.

Bunch of weaklings I say!"

Well it doesnt seem so as the uk has walked away over concessions of sovereignty,but trade will still continue just with tariffs if thats the way they decide to go.

By *rench letterCouple  over a year ago

Chorley,

I hope Biden gets elected in the US. And screws up the plans for Boris trade deal with the US.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I really don't know why your all moaning ?

Brexit has happened. We are going out deal or no deal, and there is nothing you can do about it.

Get a grip and move on

near ipswich

"I hope Biden gets elected in the US. And screws up the plans for Boris trade deal with the US. "
This highlights remainers to a tea they would prefer to see their familys and fellow countrymen worse off just to say i told you so.Pathetic.

Chorley,

"I hope Biden gets elected in the US. And screws up the plans for Boris trade deal with the US. This highlights remainers to a tea they would prefer to see their familys and fellow countrymen worse off just to say i told you so.Pathetic."

Get your facts right its the other way about. We are losing so much more from not being in the EU than crap trade deal with the US.

"I really don't know why your all moaning ?

Brexit has happened. We are going out deal or no deal, and there is nothing you can do about it.

Get a grip and move on "

We should go down silently with the ship?

Get a grip and move on

We should go down silently with the ship?"

Yep

near ipswich

"I hope Biden gets elected in the US. And screws up the plans for Boris trade deal with the US. This highlights remainers to a tea they would prefer to see their familys and fellow countrymen worse off just to say i told you so.Pathetic.

Get your facts right its the other way about. We are losing so much more from not being in the EU than crap trade deal with the US. "

There is a bigger world out there mate the usa is only a part of it.If you take the eu as separate countries the USA is our biggest trading partner already and has been for years.

Chorley,

"I hope Biden gets elected in the US. And screws up the plans for Boris trade deal with the US. This highlights remainers to a tea they would prefer to see their familys and fellow countrymen worse off just to say i told you so.Pathetic.

Get your facts right its the other way about. We are losing so much more from not being in the EU than crap trade deal with the US. There is a bigger world out there mate the usa is only a part of it.If you take the eu as separate countries the USA is our biggest trading partner already and has been for years."

I would Google it mate and see what your answer is and you will be supprised.

near ipswich

Get your facts right its the other way about. We are losing so much more from not being in the EU than crap trade deal with the US. There is a bigger world out there mate the usa is only a part of it.If you take the eu as separate countries the USA is our biggest trading partner already and has been for years.

I would Google it mate and see what your answer is and you will be supprised. "

I did http://www.worldstopexports.com/united-kingdoms-top-import-partners/

By *ackal1Couple  over a year ago

Manchester

Get your facts right its the other way about. We are losing so much more from not being in the EU than crap trade deal with the US. There is a bigger world out there mate the usa is only a part of it.If you take the eu as separate countries the USA is our biggest trading partner already and has been for years."

As an individual country it is but it’s dwarfed by the EU as a whole USA 15% EU 43% Nearly three times as large. The reason is it cheaper and easier to get stuff to Europe. Well for the next few weeks anyway.

near ipswich

Get your facts right its the other way about. We are losing so much more from not being in the EU than crap trade deal with the US. There is a bigger world out there mate the usa is only a part of it.If you take the eu as separate countries the USA is our biggest trading partner already and has been for years.

As an individual country it is but it’s dwarfed by the EU as a whole USA 15% EU 43% Nearly three times as large. The reason is it cheaper and easier to get stuff to Europe. Well for the next few weeks anyway.

"

I know that its exactly why i said if you take every country individually, he keeps going on about a usa deal but the point i was making is we already trade with them and that will not change on the 1st january.

Chorley,

"

Yeah, exactly you need to add the EU country figures together and it's well larger.

North West

Why backdown for?

Bunch of weaklings I say!"

Every agreement and every contract that is entered into from a personal level up to a country level involves compromises in certain domains to gain benefit in others.

It is utterly nonsensical to expect pure undiluted sovereignty going forwards because every trade deal that we will negotiate will involve compromise on our part.

The proposed U.K./US deal In particular will demonstrate that price. Whether it is Biden or Trump - it is irrelevant. We currently have a trade surplus with the USA and that will either change in its head or the US will demand huge compromises on our part.

And here is the thing... Many Brexiters will object furiously to a level playing field with the EU and thereby argue against their own rights and cheer wildly to see our standards lowered to US levels.

It is utterly bonkers.

By *eddy and legsCouple  over a year ago

the wetlands

So it seems like a playground game now

If trump wins he might pick us to be on his team as a substitute

If Biden wins we have to go grovelling to the EU to see if they'll let us sit on their bench

Of course we could all get our fishing rods out and sell fish and chips to the Japanese.

Some great outcomes there and well worth the billions we have wasted trying to figure out what country can rule us next.

near ipswich

Why backdown for?

Every agreement and every contract that is entered into from a personal level up to a country level involves compromises in certain domains to gain benefit in others.

It is utterly nonsensical to expect pure undiluted sovereignty going forwards because every trade deal that we will negotiate will involve compromise on our part.

The proposed U.K./US deal In particular will demonstrate that price. Whether it is Biden or Trump - it is irrelevant. We currently have a trade surplus with the USA and that will either change in its head or the US will demand huge compromises on our part.

And here is the thing... Many Brexiters will object furiously to a level playing field with the EU and thereby argue against their own rights and cheer wildly to see our standards lowered to US levels.

It is utterly bonkers."

Who is lowering their standards where is the proof of this? Do you think we didnt have standards before we joined the eu? I just love these random comments with no substance to back them up.

Get a grip and move on

We should go down silently with the ship?

Yep "

Not how democracy works mate.

I also have friends who live on the NI border.

Johnson's compromise to the EU to just get ANYTHING by slapping the NI border in the Irish sea is going to ruin their business.

So I do hope that the Americans for once interveen correctly and hold us to account over the GFA and the NI boarder.

"So it seems like a playground game now

If trump wins he might pick us to be on his team as a substitute

If Biden wins we have to go grovelling to the EU to see if they'll let us sit on their bench

Of course we could all get our fishing rods out and sell fish and chips to the Japanese.

Some great outcomes there and well worth the billions we have wasted trying to figure out what country can rule us next."

Sorry, sell fish to the Japanese.

You realise that's an island pretty much half a world away.

There's a very good reason the fish you buy from the Philippines is proportionally more costly than say, from Norway or Denmark.

Cost of distance, cost of freezing at long distance.

Oh and the Japanese fish market is for fresh fish, they're quite snooty about the frozen stuff.

Manchester

Why backdown for?

It is utterly bonkers.Who is lowering their standards where is the proof of this? Do you think we didnt have standards before we joined the eu? I just love these random comments with no substance to back them up. "

We have cleaner rivers and beaches due to eu law. We have safer food and better labelling due to eu law. We have 100 times better consumer rights due to EU law. All those flight refunds were not in place before the EU insisted on consumers rights to make the airlines compensate us. Your mobile phone while abroad is the same price as in the U.K. due to EU law. I can go on and on.

We were known as the dirty man of Europe so no we didn’t have standards of any consequence before .

To import food from the USA by default is lowering standards as their standards are lower than ours today and that’s available as fact wherever you care to read.

Manchester

I know that its exactly why i said if you take every country individually, he keeps going on about a usa deal but the point i was making is we already trade with them and that will not change on the 1st january."

No but the cost of trading with Europe will increase dramatically. So exports will be lost. And imports too but we will be hit hardest as the 45% is massive to us.

By *hagTonightMan  over a year ago

From the land of haribos.

What it meant and the reality of it is 2 completely different things, the root of brexit is a misguided nostalgia.

Manchester

"What it meant and the reality of it is 2 completely different things, the root of brexit is a misguided nostalgia."

True

By *kstallionMan  over a year ago

milton keynes

What brevity meant? There is a clue in the name

"What it meant and the reality of it is 2 completely different things, the root of brexit is a misguided nostalgia.

True "

Get a grip and move on "

Yeah I think this. Fait accompli as Mr Macron would like us to think.

near ipswich

Why backdown for?

It is utterly bonkers.Who is lowering their standards where is the proof of this? Do you think we didnt have standards before we joined the eu? I just love these random comments with no substance to back them up.

We have cleaner rivers and beaches due to eu law. We have safer food and better labelling due to eu law. We have 100 times better consumer rights due to EU law. All those flight refunds were not in place before the EU insisted on consumers rights to make the airlines compensate us. Your mobile phone while abroad is the same price as in the U.K. due to EU law. I can go on and on.

We were known as the dirty man of Europe so no we didn’t have standards of any consequence before .

To import food from the USA by default is lowering standards as their standards are lower than ours today and that’s available as fact wherever you care to read. "

Do you honestly think the uk would have just stood still if we had not joined the eu your having a laugh in fact the uk minimum wage is far higher than many eu countries.You talk about level playing fields do you know what exactly that involves? other countries do not insist on level playing fields to trade.As for food standards mp,s vote on such things through common agricultural bills.The eu want to control uk labour,taxation,enviroment and state aid,why because they are frightened of the competition.Take the tampon tax for eg the government have said its not fair and should be scrapped but until 1st jan they cant because of eu vat tax laws.The uk does not have to lower food standards and any government that did would probably not get re elected in fact they need to maintain them to trade with the eu.you are just buying into more remain propaganda.

By *uninlondon69Man  over a year ago

Lewisham

"I hope Biden gets elected in the US. And screws up the plans for Boris trade deal with the US. This highlights remainers to a tea they would prefer to see their familys and fellow countrymen worse off just to say i told you so.Pathetic."

The biggest problem with politics at the moment is that there are too many people like this on BOTH sides of the argument. There are plenty of leavers who don't care if it all goes to shit as long as it pisses remainers off.

I want there to be light at the end of the tunnel, I want better opportunities and a hopeful future. Unfortunately all I can see is an endless pile of broken promises, and the pile gets bigger every week as more of the leaving argument unravels.

We should all be wanting the country to prosper, regardless of who gets our vote but it's hard to be optimistic when it looks like our futures have been stolen by a group of corrupt charlatans. And if you don't think they're corrupt, what can you see that I can't? Pleae tell me because I'd genuinely love to not get angry every time I turn on the news.

"I hope Biden gets elected in the US. And screws up the plans for Boris trade deal with the US. "
US have already said that there might not even be a trade deal with the uk as they dont like how boris doesnt respect the contracts they have with the eu either.

"What it meant and the reality of it is 2 completely different things, the root of brexit is a misguided nostalgia."

Huh?

The root of Brexit is those at the top transferring more wealth and power to themselves, from everyone else.

near ipswich

"What it meant and the reality of it is 2 completely different things, the root of brexit is a misguided nostalgia.

Huh?

The root of Brexit is those at the top transferring more wealth and power to themselves, from everyone else."

more like taking back control from a lot of unelected bureaucrats who have been lording it up for years at the expense of the population.

Huh?

The root of Brexit is those at the top transferring more wealth and power to themselves, from everyone else.more like taking back control from a lot of unelected bureaucrats who have been lording it up for years at the expense of the population. "

Lol.

Lewisham

And giving it back to elected representatives like Dido Harding, Nicky Morgan, Jo Johnson, Philip May, Claire Fox and Ian Botham.

near ipswich

"And giving it back to elected representatives like Dido Harding, Nicky Morgan, Jo Johnson, Philip May, Claire Fox and Ian Botham. "
mate i would get rid of the house of lords too or at least cut it down to about 50.Do people like A sugar really need another £300 quid a day out of peoples taxes.It needs total reform.

"And giving it back to elected representatives like Dido Harding, Nicky Morgan, Jo Johnson, Philip May, Claire Fox and Ian Botham. mate i would get rid of the house of lords too or at least cut it down to about 50.Do people like A sugar really need another £300 quid a day out of peoples taxes.It needs total reform."

If you're worried about £300 a day to the lords. Wait until you see how much Brexit is costing the economy every year. You'll be properly pissed off.

Manchester

Why backdown for?

It is utterly bonkers.Who is lowering their standards where is the proof of this? Do you think we didnt have standards before we joined the eu? I just love these random comments with no substance to back them up.

To import food from the USA by default is lowering standards as their standards are lower than ours today and that’s available as fact wherever you care to read. Do you honestly think the uk would have just stood still if we had not joined the eu your having a laugh in fact the uk minimum wage is far higher than many eu countries.You talk about level playing fields do you know what exactly that involves? other countries do not insist on level playing fields to trade.As for food standards mp,s vote on such things through common agricultural bills.The eu want to control uk labour,taxation,enviroment and state aid,why because they are frightened of the competition.Take the tampon tax for eg the government have said its not fair and should be scrapped but until 1st jan they cant because of eu vat tax laws.The uk does not have to lower food standards and any government that did would probably not get re elected in fact they need to maintain them to trade with the eu.you are just buying into more remain propaganda. "

The WTO rules are far more lax in regards to country of origin on labels unlike in the EU, so food can be sold to the consumer without them knowing. Indeed the EU will ban our food without origin assurance. The majors will move production if they have to.

The EU agreed to scrapping the tampon tax in 2016. It fell by the wayside due to the referendum and has not been raised by our government since, however the European Commission still published proposals covering the abolition of the tampon tax in 2018. It was to be abolished Europe wide in 2022.

I export to 22 countries with my business so would like to think know a bit more than the average poster on here.

I’m not swayed by propaganda I’m swayed by facts. At a recent webinar Kraft Heinz and other major food manufacturers presented 175 questions on Brexit regarding customs and labelling laws. The Government could not answer even one. The British chamber of commerce asked 35 general questions of which the government answered just 9. Gove’s comment was “it‘s just like moving house. He’s a fucking muppet! The FT newspaper response to his comment was if we’re moving house then we’re downsizing!

Rhetoric is bollocks in business.

Eight weeks to go and my customs suppliers still don’t know the full process that I need to clear my goods into Europe or any tariffs. ( it’s best guess for now) We export all over the world but with the EU we still have not got the detail.

These are facts so read your daily mail and believe the future will be fine if you like but the millions we are now having to spend in addition to our normal costs means I have to deal in facts not your fantasy.

Also the money on these costs takes funding away from new jobs and investment so another negative for business. So no level playing field for us. Its all uphill!

I have immense sympathy for the people who have been shafted by all the Governments in this country over the years (Including my own family) and totally understand why they would think fuck it why not try something new.

I include Blair in that list of shame btw. To blame the EU you are just being lead by vested interests. It’s our own governments who have robbed us not the EU.

So no I’m not having a laugh!, far from it.

If our system is not crooked why have so many prime ministers come from just one school?

Nepotism is rife and we keep sucking it all up because they control the agenda.

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

"And giving it back to elected representatives like Dido Harding, Nicky Morgan, Jo Johnson, Philip May, Claire Fox and Ian Botham. "

Phillip May isn't a Lord.

near ipswich

Why backdown for?

To import food from the USA by default is lowering standards as their standards are lower than ours today and that’s available as fact wherever you care to read. Do you honestly think the uk would have just stood still if we had not joined the eu your having a laugh in fact the uk minimum wage is far higher than many eu countries.You talk about level playing fields do you know what exactly that involves? other countries do not insist on level playing fields to trade.As for food standards mp,s vote on such things through common agricultural bills.The eu want to control uk labour,taxation,enviroment and state aid,why because they are frightened of the competition.Take the tampon tax for eg the government have said its not fair and should be scrapped but until 1st jan they cant because of eu vat tax laws.The uk does not have to lower food standards and any government that did would probably not get re elected in fact they need to maintain them to trade with the eu.you are just buying into more remain propaganda.

The WTO rules are far more lax in regards to country of origin on labels unlike in the EU, so food can be sold to the consumer without them knowing. Indeed the EU will ban our food without origin assurance. The majors will move production if they have to.

The EU agreed to scrapping the tampon tax in 2016. It fell by the wayside due to the referendum and has not been raised by our government since, however the European Commission still published proposals covering the abolition of the tampon tax in 2018. It was to be abolished Europe wide in 2022.

I export to 22 countries with my business so would like to think know a bit more than the average poster on here.

I’m not swayed by propaganda I’m swayed by facts. At a recent webinar Kraft Heinz and other major food manufacturers presented 175 questions on Brexit regarding customs and labelling laws. The Government could not answer even one. The British chamber of commerce asked 35 general questions of which the government answered just 9. Gove’s comment was “it‘s just like moving house. He’s a fucking muppet! The FT newspaper response to his comment was if we’re moving house then we’re downsizing!

Eight weeks to go and my customs suppliers still don’t know the full process that I need to clear my goods into Europe or any tariffs. ( it’s best guess for now) We export all over the world but with the EU we still have not got the detail.

These are facts so read your daily mail and believe the future will be fine if you like but the millions we are now having to spend in addition to our normal costs means I have to deal in facts not your fantasy.

Also the money on these costs takes funding away from new jobs and investment so another negative for business. So no level playing field for us. Its all uphill!

I have immense sympathy for the people who have been shafted by all the Governments in this country over the years (Including my own family) and totally understand why they would think fuck it why not try something new.

I include Blair in that list of shame btw. To blame the EU you are just being lead by vested interests. It’s our own governments who have robbed us not the EU.

If our system is not crooked why have so many prime ministers come from just one school?

Nepotism is rife and we keep sucking it all up because they control the agenda. "

The eu keep going on about level a playing field with the uk this involves,labour,taxation,state aid and environment but do not seem to have any problem trading with say India for example importing cheap clothing produced by cheap labour at the same time polluting the environment and having no say on the countries tax.So explain to me why they want to impose all these stipulations on the uk.India is just one example there are many others.I understand what you are saying about exports as some of my family are in the business and yes its totally up in the air but if no deal becomes a reality it will revert to wto terms and you must know what they are if you are exporting or importing from all over the world.

liverpool

Get a grip and move on "

You realise this is a forum?

About politics?

liverpool

Huh?

The root of Brexit is those at the top transferring more wealth and power to themselves, from everyone else.more like taking back control from a lot of unelected bureaucrats who have been lording it up for years at the expense of the population. "

The reason for brexit in a nutshell

A myth perpetuated by the daily mail for years and swallowed by a big chunk of the population.

Lewisham

[Removed by poster at 25/10/20 12:37:57]

liverpool

Brexiteers having a blinder here

Lewisham

"And giving it back to elected representatives like Dido Harding, Nicky Morgan, Jo Johnson, Philip May, Claire Fox and Ian Botham.

Phillip May isn't a Lord. "

Sorry, just a knighthood for him. Evgeny Lebedev instead then. Still a corrupt, unelected shitshow.

near ipswich

"And giving it back to elected representatives like Dido Harding, Nicky Morgan, Jo Johnson, Philip May, Claire Fox and Ian Botham.

Phillip May isn't a Lord. Sorry, just a knighthood for him. Evgeny Lebedev instead then. Still a corrupt, unelected shitshow."

Read my post mate i totally agree get rid of them, i would keep a token number no more than 50 due to the history and pageantry i wouldnt want to lose part of history but no need for north of 600 .

liverpool

Phillip May isn't a Lord. Sorry, just a knighthood for him. Evgeny Lebedev instead then. Still a corrupt, unelected shitshow.Read my post mate i totally agree get rid of them, i would keep a token number no more than 50 due to the history and pageantry i wouldnt want to lose part of history but no need for north of 600 . "

So after Brexit we are going to abolish the lords?

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

actually.... i have a more interesting question

is there anyone out there that was screaming project fear was project fear now prepared to admit that that project fear had bits of project reality in it....

not that it would change minds.....just curious

By *oggoneMan  over a year ago

Derry

"actually.... i have a more interesting question

is there anyone out there that was screaming project fear was project fear now prepared to admit that that project fear had bits of project reality in it....

not that it would change minds.....just curious"

I honestly don't think that reality and facts really entered the equation. Brexit was based on feelings not facts. The UK was never fully at ease with membership of a European Union. An anti European sentiment has been a consistent facet of British civil discourse for a long time. Weaponised nationalism and a belief in exceptionalism got the UK a decision to leave the EU.

near ipswich

Phillip May isn't a Lord. Sorry, just a knighthood for him. Evgeny Lebedev instead then. Still a corrupt, unelected shitshow.Read my post mate i totally agree get rid of them, i would keep a token number no more than 50 due to the history and pageantry i wouldnt want to lose part of history but no need for north of 600 .

So after Brexit we are going to abolish the lords?"

no mate you really should read the whole thread you might then understand how the discussion started.

near ipswich

what is project reality have you a crystal ball to what the situation will be on jan 1st? just curious.

not that it would change minds.....just curiouswhat is project reality have you a crystal ball to what the situation will be on jan 1st? just curious."

Basically everything that's happened so far, was labelled "project fear".

Dropping value of pound.

Businesses closing and leaving.

Long drawn out, difficult negotiations.

No deal Brexit being an option.

Food safety standards being negotiated away.

Etc etc, could go on for hours. But you know the deal.

By *ssexbloke72Man  over a year ago

Poplar

The trouble with the leave campaign was they never promoted the positive side of being in the EU. They never said where the EU will be in 5, 10, 20 years etc.

It was more to do if we leave this and that may happen. All negative stuff.

So basically if you tell a Brit you can't do that without explain the positive side of not doing it, they are going to say fuck it I'm doing it anyway.

The trouble with the leave campaign was they never promoted the positive side of being in the EU. They never said where the EU will be in 5, 10, 20 years etc.

So basically if you tell a Brit you can't do that without explain the positive side of not doing it, they are going to say fuck it I'm doing it anyway.

"

I assume you mean the "remain" campaign?

Are you saying they overestimated the average Brits understand of what the EU is and how it works?

You could be right.

By *oxychick35Couple  over a year ago

thornaby

as in grounded planes ? Yr words _abio

Poplar

Are you saying they overestimated the average Brits understand of what the EU is and how it works?

You could be right."

Yeah sorry I meant the remain campaign. As far as I can remember it was all negative.

They should have been campaigning with bells and roses saying how great it was. After isn't that why countries join up to it in the first place?

milton keynes

not that it would change minds.....just curiousas in grounded planes ? Yr words _abio "

Is the problem of planes not flying going to now happen in a no deal situation or is it no longer a problem?

Derry

You could be right.

Yeah sorry I meant the remain campaign. As far as I can remember it was all negative.

They should have been campaigning with bells and roses saying how great it was. After isn't that why countries join up to it in the first place?"

Prior to the referendum, the narrative about the EU had been negative for many years, there had been decades of misinformation and outright lies about the EU. The benefits were never highlighted. Even the remain side never sold it as bells and roses, it was a necessary evil that had to managed and pushed back against.

The leavers just talked bollocks about sunny uplands and a magical world where everything was possible.

milton keynes

You could be right.

They should have been campaigning with bells and roses saying how great it was. After isn't that why countries join up to it in the first place?"

I think you are spot on with this. Im sure at some point they tried to promote the EU but seemed to much time on possible negative things. In fact I think I have seen more on these forums of positive EU things then I ever did during the referendum

liverpool

"

Think you are right there about the remain campaign tbf

liverpool

You could be right.

They should have been campaigning with bells and roses saying how great it was. After isn't that why countries join up to it in the first place?

Prior to the referendum, the narrative about the EU had been negative for many years, there had been decades of misinformation and outright lies about the EU. The benefits were never highlighted. Even the remain side never sold it as bells and roses, it was a necessary evil that had to managed and pushed back against.

The leavers just talked bollocks about sunny uplands and a magical world where everything was possible."

Think you are right there about the remain campaign tbf"

Yeah for sure.

They didn't need to "promote" the EU. They would have had to educate the people about what the EU is, and how it works and why countries join it. But the right wing press is expert at sowing seeds of doubt and convincing people of the sunlight unicorns or whatever.

Poplar

You could be right.

I think you are spot on with this. Im sure at some point they tried to promote the EU but seemed to much time on possible negative things. In fact I think I have seen more on these forums of positive EU things then I ever did during the referendum"

The reman campaign should of been the perfect opportunity to promote the EU. They didn't do that.

A lot been said about a certain bus, so where was the remain bus promoting the positive side. After all buses always turn up two's, so it could have just followed the other one around.!

Manchester

Why backdown for?

To import food from the USA by default is lowering standards as their standards are lower than ours today and that’s available as fact wherever you care to read. Do you honestly think the uk would have just stood still if we had not joined the eu your having a laugh in fact the uk minimum wage is far higher than many eu countries.You talk about level playing fields do you know what exactly that involves? other countries do not insist on level playing fields to trade.As for food standards mp,s vote on such things through common agricultural bills.The eu want to control uk labour,taxation,enviroment and state aid,why because they are frightened of the competition.Take the tampon tax for eg the government have said its not fair and should be scrapped but until 1st jan they cant because of eu vat tax laws.The uk does not have to lower food standards and any government that did would probably not get re elected in fact they need to maintain them to trade with the eu.you are just buying into more remain propaganda.

Nepotism is rife and we keep sucking it all up because they control the agenda. The eu keep going on about level a playing field with the uk this involves,labour,taxation,state aid and environment but do not seem to have any problem trading with say India for example importing cheap clothing produced by cheap labour at the same time polluting the environment and having no say on the countries tax.So explain to me why they want to impose all these stipulations on the uk.India is just one example there are many others.I understand what you are saying about exports as some of my family are in the business and yes its totally up in the air but if no deal becomes a reality it will revert to wto terms and you must know what they are if you are exporting or importing from all over the world."

WTO don’t set tariffs countries do. There the rub. We don’t know what they are yet. Look how much damage Trump did with his trade war.

We all benefit from cheap and in a lot of cases slave labour around the world so I totally agree we should be stopping that. NO EXCUSES! India has barriers on imports which exclude a lot of our exports to them so protectionist beyond belief.

Today’s younger buyers are more concerned with sourcing and if you look to Eastern Europe ( lower wages but not poor) a lot of manufacturing is setting up there.

The first reason is quickness to market but they also can claim credit for better working conditions.

Look at the fall out after finding the appalling conditions in Leicester at how quickly those suppliers were dropped by the retailers.

It’s starting to matter. The internet shows you using child labour or paying peanuts in a swat shop in India and your sales fall off a cliff.

Zara the clothes retailer sources in Europe and others are following suit because they realise fashion changes instantly now and 6 weeks from China is no good.

Being part of the EU gave us easy access to the biggest market we have. In tax take alone from the funds moving across to Europe in our banks will now outweigh our previous payments to the EU.

Whichever way you look at it Brexit is bad for business. We will keep trading and also with the rest of the world. But Business UK will be shrinking.

My business is already sourcing in Europe where we would have sourced U.K. before. It’s costing jobs and money in the UK today and any slim benefit we find trading as a nation away from Europe will always be outweighed by the loss.

We are not a big enough economy or dynamic enough to be a power in the world. People need to wake up to that fact. We can now be bullied on deals because we are so much weaker alone.

Derry

You could be right.

I think you are spot on with this. Im sure at some point they tried to promote the EU but seemed to much time on possible negative things. In fact I think I have seen more on these forums of positive EU things then I ever did during the referendum

The reman campaign should of been the perfect opportunity to promote the EU. They didn't do that.

A lot been said about a certain bus, so where was the remain bus promoting the positive side. After all buses always turn up two's, so it could have just followed the other one around.!"

The Brexit referendum could be a case study in how not to do democracy. Neither side had a good campaign strategy, it wasn't clear what people were voting for or the implications of the vote. Making it a 50+1 majority decision as opposed to a 66% required majority. Cameron took a gamble after winning the AV referendum and seeing off Scottish independence, his hubris will cost the UK for a long time to come. He really let the genie out of the bottle.

But dodgy campaigns aside. I still think the core problem was one of identity. The UK was never totally comfortable being a member of a European family.

Manchester

You could be right.

A lot been said about a certain bus, so where was the remain bus promoting the positive side. After all buses always turn up two's, so it could have just followed the other one around.!

The Brexit referendum could be a case study in how not to do democracy. Neither side had a good campaign strategy, it wasn't clear what people were voting for or the implications of the vote. Making it a 50+1 majority decision as opposed to a 66% required majority. Cameron took a gamble after winning the AV referendum and seeing off Scottish independence, his hubris will cost the UK for a long time to come. He really let the genie out of the bottle.

But dodgy campaigns aside. I still think the core problem was one of identity. The UK was never totally comfortable being a member of a European family."

I think the younger generation were used to it and happy to be part of it. Ok there a few right wing youngsters who would have argued whatever the points. But I think years of negative press became ingrained in our psyche and lead to the leave vote being supported.

it was like the monty python sketch, What have the Romans ever done for us?”

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

Well have told you all a 100 times

Manchester

Still waiting for an answer Well have told you all a 100 times "

Was it immigration?

Still waiting for an answer Well have told you all a 100 times "

I assume it's a wide range of different beliefs across leavers?

milton keynes

You could be right.

But dodgy campaigns aside. I still think the core problem was one of identity. The UK was never totally comfortable being a member of a European family."

I agree it may have been better to set a minimum win percentage but as for democracy I feel it was democratic. Elected MP's voted to have the referendum, then to implement the result and also the withdrawal agreement. In between we had 2 general elections with the most recent late last year with even more information to hand.

By *oi_LucyCouple  over a year ago

Barbados

Still waiting for an answer Well have told you all a 100 times

"

That is the whole problem. What was the only reason 'leave' won. Because 'leave' could mean absolutely anything you wanted it to. Be part of the EEA, but leave EU? Yup. Leave the EU but be part of the customs union? Yup. Leave no deal at all? Yup. Leave and have all the rights we have now? Yup. Leave and prevent Turkey from turning up on our doorstep? Yup. Leave because them dirty foreigners stealing your jobs? Leave because you don't like sitting next to someone talking 'funny' in the GP? Yup. Leave to take back control of borders? Yup. Leave because you don't like 'unelected bureaucrats'? yup.

It didn't matter. Leave was just the universal answer to whatever ails you.

-Matt

near ipswich

Zara the clothes retailer sources in Europe and others are following suit because they realise fashion changes instantly now and 6 weeks from China is no good. This is not true fashion is decided a season in advance by the so called fashion gurus,colours, cut etc.Yes some kids are concerned about where their cloths come from and who producing them and yes that is growing but the majority just want cheap disposable clothing hence the success of Primark.

My business is already sourcing in Europe where we would have sourced U.K. before. It’s costing jobs and money in the UK today and any slim benefit we find trading as a nation away from Europe will always be outweighed by the loss. What business is that i saw in a previous post that you said it was going to cost you millions and you had already lost contracts from next year?

We are not a big enough economy or dynamic enough to be a power in the world. People need to wake up to that fact. We can now be bullied on deals because we are so much weaker alone. We are still the 6th largest economy in the world why would countries not want to trade with us when we are a massive market,why do you think the eu is still trying to strike a deal.

What other country in the world has done a trade deal with the eu and let them dictate their taxation,labour policy,enviromental policy or state aid for that matter? usually if there is state aid involved countries put tariffs on the goods (just like chinese steel) to protect their own industries.Why does the eu insist to all this when it doesnt with any other country in the world?

That is the whole problem. What was the only reason 'leave' won. Because 'leave' could mean absolutely anything you wanted it to. Be part of the EEA, but leave EU? Yup. Leave the EU but be part of the customs union? Yup. Leave no deal at all? Yup. Leave and have all the rights we have now? Yup. Leave and prevent Turkey from turning up on our doorstep? Yup. Leave because them dirty foreigners stealing your jobs? Leave because you don't like sitting next to someone talking 'funny' in the GP? Yup. Leave to take back control of borders? Yup. Leave because you don't like 'unelected bureaucrats'? yup.

-Matt"

Yeah I agree.

It's kind of irrelevant what piece of propaganda the leaver chose to believe in. Aside from using it as a stick to bash them with.

liverpool

You could be right.

I don't know. Personally I think we have more in common with Europe than america.

I think there is still a sense of empire in this country.. there are people out there who genuinely believe once it's done and dusted we will once again become a world superpower.

liverpool

-Matt"

Spot on..it was a binary question to a complex problem

People chose to leave so we could limit immigration

Others cos they believed all that utter bullshit about europe telling us what to do.

I remember a reporter going round asking people ,on the day we left, why did you vote to leave?

Some of the answers were utterly jaw dropping

Poplar

-Matt

Others cos they believed all that utter bullshit about europe telling us what to do.

I remember a reporter going round asking people ,on the day we left, why did you vote to leave?

"

When you have 28 different countries voting on something an individual country is never going to get what they want. So in fact you are being told what to do by Europe.

Did people want to change from gallions to litres or pounds/ounces to kilos? I cant ever remember there being a big out cry for it?

I do remember shop traders being up in arms about having to change though.

liverpool

-Matt

When you have 28 different countries voting on something an individual country is never going to get what they want. So in fact you are being told what to do by Europe.

Did people want to change from gallions to litres or pounds/ounces to kilos? I cant ever remember there being a big out cry for it?

I do remember shop traders being up in arms about having to change though."

No we were because we were part of the process and we had the power of veto.

We were never once made to do something we never wanted too.

The narrative that 27 countries constantly told us what to do is utter nonsense.

But people believed it.

"Zara the clothes retailer sources in Europe and others are following suit because they realise fashion changes instantly now and 6 weeks from China is no good. This is not true fashion is decided a season in advance by the so called fashion gurus,colours, cut etc.Yes some kids are concerned about where their cloths come from and who producing them and yes that is growing but the majority just want cheap disposable clothing hence the success of Primark.

My business is already sourcing in Europe where we would have sourced U.K. before. It’s costing jobs and money in the UK today and any slim benefit we find trading as a nation away from Europe will always be outweighed by the loss. What business is that i saw in a previous post that you said it was going to cost you millions and you had already lost contracts from next year?

We are not a big enough economy or dynamic enough to be a power in the world. People need to wake up to that fact. We can now be bullied on deals because we are so much weaker alone. We are still the 6th largest economy in the world why would countries not want to trade with us when we are a massive market,why do you think the eu is still trying to strike a deal.

What other country in the world has done a trade deal with the eu and let them dictate their taxation,labour policy,enviromental policy or state aid for that matter? usually if there is state aid involved countries put tariffs on the goods (just like chinese steel) to protect their own industries.Why does the eu insist to all this when it doesnt with any other country in the world?"

NORWAY

ICELAND

SWITZERLAND

LICHTENSTEIN

The last barrier to a level playing field was with iceland, regarding state aid and labour legislation for fisheries.

They worked through it. Regarding taxation and environmental issues this was not an issue, Iceland's legislation was already better than the EUs and as part of the declaration they voted to ensure their standards would not drop below that of the EU.

Canada also changed some of its environmental, state aid and taxation policies within its agri and dairy product production to get it's EU trade deal.

The domestic cost and upset was worth it to increase their exports.

"

I do remember shop traders being up in arms about having to change though."

I'm just highlighting this. In my mind it's an excellent example of the meaningless rhetoric that wound people up over the years.

The metric system makes more sense, aligns with our closest neighbors and trading partner.

A small, uneventful change had some old lad in Exeter "up in arms" in a story in the Daily Mail, when in reality he was totally used to the new system in days.

And people voted leave based on this kind of bollocks.

It highlights that lack of education around the EU was a significant factor in enabling the right wing press to so easily persuade people to vote for brexit, when it's blatantly not in their interests.

Manchester

"Zara the clothes retailer sources in Europe and others are following suit because they realise fashion changes instantly now and 6 weeks from China is no good. This is not true fashion is decided a season in advance by the so called fashion gurus,colours, cut etc.Yes some kids are concerned about where their cloths come from and who producing them and yes that is growing but the majority just want cheap disposable clothing hence the success of Primark.

What other country in the world has done a trade deal with the eu and let them dictate their taxation,labour policy,enviromental policy or state aid for that matter? usually if there is state aid involved countries put tariffs on the goods (just like chinese steel) to protect their own industries.Why does the eu insist to all this when it doesnt with any other country in the world?"

You have no idea what your talking about

Look up Zara and see their business model and they charge fashion instantly.

Couture fashion is seasonal and hangs on to the last vestiges but ASOS etc change constantly. Only the staples rely on seasons.

I exported 25000 full truck loads last year along with a lot of bulk ships and at an average customs cost of 95 GBP per truck including transit documents for certain routes yes it’s millions £2.35m to be precise.and yes we now have production in Belgium, Romania and Austria. Taking money that was originally in the UK.

Our Spanish and Swedish clients have said EU supply or no deal which is why I mentioned the Europeans can’t be arsed factor isn’t accounted for in any government figures.

The EU is a club and we joined wanting the benefits as other countries want to so you join a club and play by the rules to enjoy the benefits.

You obviously have t got the time to work out how much this is costing industry. I can afford to fuck off anytime I like, but my friends who aren’t as fortunate will suffer.

6th largest true look at the gap between us and those above us,

We are in the lower tier already overtaken by India and soon Brazil etc. They are growing twice as fast as us.

Have you seen we can’t fund ships to escort our new carriers. Most of our type 45 destroyers are moored up due to lack of funds.

You are fantasising if you think we will benefit from this fucking mess.

-Matt

The narrative that 27 countries constantly told us what to do is utter nonsense.

But people believed it."

Lionel you really should look at how the veto system works in the EU, you clearly do not understand the process, if you did you would realise the veto system gave no one country power to do what they wished at all.

liverpool

-Matt

But people believed it.

Lionel you really should look at how the veto system works in the EU, you clearly do not understand the process, if you did you would realise the veto system gave no one country power to do what they wished at all. "

I didnt say that

I said it gave us the power to negotiate out of something we didnt want.

A post was made last night saying the eu imposed laws on us...I'm still waiting to hear what those laws are.

Manchester

[Removed by poster at 25/10/20 19:03:48]

Manchester

I did t include unknown tariffs in my numbers so when anyone knows those please feel free to let me know. Boris and Gove didn’t fucking know either the other day!

You know i really don’t wish anyone of you fabbers bad luck with all this as being on here shows you have a fun side and I love that. It’s why we’re here.

I just worry and can see with my personal experience we’re are blindly walking into something which will hurt us all.

By *hybloke67Man  over a year ago

ROMFORD

"

I'm just highlighting this. In my mind it's an excellent example of the meaningless rhetoric that wound people up over the years.

The metric system makes more sense, aligns with our closest neighbors and trading partner.

A small, uneventful change had some old lad in Exeter "up in arms" in a story in the Daily Mail, when in reality he was totally used to the new system in days.

It highlights that lack of education around the EU was a significant factor in enabling the right wing press to so easily persuade people to vote for brexit, when it's blatantly not in their interests."

This is exactly the point, we have had to change and people just don't accept why we keep on having to change.

The UK had to change its electrical wiring colours a few years ago. Not because it was bad. If fact we have the one of the best electrical wiring regulations in the world if not the best. But to align us to Europe we had to change the lot. Have you ever been to Spain and looked at how your apartment is wired up? Its a funking joke and still is. But guess what we had to change our colours and their wiring is still a death trap waiting to happen.

"

It highlights that lack of education around the EU was a significant factor in enabling the right wing press to so easily persuade people to vote for brexit, when it's blatantly not in their interests.

This is exactly the point, we have had to change and people just don't accept why we keep on having to change.

The UK had to change its electrical wiring colours a few years ago. Not because it was bad. If fact we have the one of the best electrical wiring regulations in the world if not the best. But to align us to Europe we had to change the lot. Have you ever been to Spain and looked at how your apartment is wired up? Its a funking joke and still is. But guess what we had to change our colours and their wiring is still a death trap waiting to happen."

So the EU, did, or didn't enforce the changes to how wiring is done?

I'm a little confused by your post.

It sounds like they set consistent standards of colouring, which makes sense. And some minimum safety standards. Which also seems to make sense.

By *hybloke67Man  over a year ago

ROMFORD

"

The UK had to change its electrical wiring colours a few years ago. Not because it was bad. If fact we have the one of the best electrical wiring regulations in the world if not the best. But to align us to Europe we had to change the lot. Have you ever been to Spain and looked at how your apartment is wired up? Its a funking joke and still is. But guess what we had to change our colours and their wiring is still a death trap waiting to happen.

It sounds like they set consistent standards of colouring, which makes sense. And some minimum safety standards. Which also seems to make sense."

To make it simple to understand we went from a 3 phase system of red yellow blue to brown black grey. To align the UK to Europe. Yes a new European standard of colours. It hasn't improved their wiring up of stuff though.!

By *eroy1000Man  over a year ago

milton keynes

-Matt

But people believed it.

Lionel you really should look at how the veto system works in the EU, you clearly do not understand the process, if you did you would realise the veto system gave no one country power to do what they wished at all. "

Are you saying we could not veto this? I have seen on these forums in the past whenever an European law is mentioned that we could have used our veto if we did not like it

North West

Why backdown for?

It is utterly bonkers.Who is lowering their standards where is the proof of this? Do you think we didnt have standards before we joined the eu? I just love these random comments with no substance to back them up. "

Do you think it “fair” that in a proposed U.K./US trade deal that (for example) the US should be able to offer GM foods and substandard meat products into the U.K. and be more price competitive than home grown products because of lower wages in the US and poor working conditions?

Or do you think that the U.K. should maintain its own high standards and resist GM foods, resist substandard meat products and protect the NHS from enforced pricing policies for US drugs?

Without food and pharmaceutical access to U.K. markets - what else does the US have to bargain with?

"

It sounds like they set consistent standards of colouring, which makes sense. And some minimum safety standards. Which also seems to make sense.

To make it simple to understand we went from a 3 phase system of red yellow blue to brown black grey. To align the UK to Europe. Yes a new European standard of colours. It hasn't improved their wiring up of stuff though.!"

So the UK had to comply, but Spain didn't?

North West

"

To make it simple to understand we went from a 3 phase system of red yellow blue to brown black grey. To align the UK to Europe. Yes a new European standard of colours. It hasn't improved their wiring up of stuff though.!"

Don’t forget RCD panels ??. The Spanish and French had inherently safer electrical systems long before we did. We only mandated rcd panels in 2008 I think and that was because of an EU directive in 2006.

By *o Trash in My TrailerMan  over a year ago

Daytona Beach

Yall sound like a kid that has dropped his icecream and regretting not being more careful with it. Cluster fucks happen and it sounds like it was a big one.

Gloucestershire

People voted for a clean break, I don’t see anything like that, and the comments I am seeing some kind of compromise.

You asked for a clean break, and all I see backtracking.

We must look like bunch of idiots, and the EU is making us dance to their tune.

Gloucestershire

"Yall sound like a kid that has dropped his icecream and regretting not being more careful with it. Cluster fucks happen and it sounds like it was a big one.

"

Yes exactly!

You go long and go hard!

We look a flaccid and floppy. Letting the EU stepping over the sovereignty which many people voted for.

liverpool

"People voted for a clean break, I don’t see anything like that, and the comments I am seeing some kind of compromise.

We must look like bunch of idiots, and the EU is making us dance to their tune."

Disagree

People didnt know what they were voting for.

A sane country would have set out the pros and cons..then have the referendum.

Not us.

-Matt

But people believed it.

Lionel you really should look at how the veto system works in the EU, you clearly do not understand the process, if you did you would realise the veto system gave no one country power to do what they wished at all.

I didnt say that

A post was made last night saying the eu imposed laws on us...I'm still waiting to hear what those laws are."

But that's where you are wrong it did not give us or any other country that holds a veto the power to singularly negotiate out of something they don't want, you really should read up on it so you understand how the system works.

-Matt

But people believed it.

Are you saying we could not veto this? I have seen on these forums in the past whenever an European law is mentioned that we could have used our veto if we did not like it"

Read up on it you will see that it is a incorrect statement.

liverpool

-Matt

But people believed it.

I didnt say that

A post was made last night saying the eu imposed laws on us...I'm still waiting to hear what those laws are.

But that's where you are wrong it did not give us or any other country that holds a veto the power to singularly negotiate out of something they don't want, you really should read up on it so you understand how the system works."

I've just been reading about it

There are 3 different types of veto and we have used ours once

The piece I read it's often used in the same way as a nuclear weapon..like a deterrent.

So are you saying therefore we have had laws etc imposed on is we dont want?

Gloucestershire

"People voted for a clean break, I don’t see anything like that, and the comments I am seeing some kind of compromise.

Disagree

Not us."

They knew exactly what they wanted, now they can have it. I don’t buy this “they didn’t know”.

Now they got what they wanted they should follow through to the extreme, full sovereignty, indepedent for trade blocs.

Have as much brexit as possible, fill their boots with it.

liverpool

Disagree

Not us.

They knew exactly what they wanted, now they can have it. I don’t buy this “they didn’t know”.

Now they got what they wanted they should follow through to the extreme, full sovereignty, indepedent for trade blocs.

"

You are assuming every single person who voted was fully aware of the impact of no deal etc etc

Some people voted for Brexit to stop immigration.

Gloucestershire

Disagree

Not us.

You are assuming every single person who voted was fully aware of the impact of no deal etc etc

Some people voted for Brexit to stop immigration. "

So they knew what Brexit entailed?

There was intent behind their reasoning. Therefore they are aware, and as the victors, they deserve the rewards of full Brexit.

But the damn government wants to bugger it all up.

-Matt

But people believed it.

I didnt say that

But that's where you are wrong it did not give us or any other country that holds a veto the power to singularly negotiate out of something they don't want, you really should read up on it so you understand how the system works.

The piece I read it's often used in the same way as a nuclear weapon..like a deterrent.

So are you saying therefore we have had laws etc imposed on is we dont want?"

So you can see now then how its not really any power at all, in effect it is almost a pointless system to have in place. As regards your question, I think as regards the people in this country yes some feel that way but as regards were our governments over time forced into agreeing laws and regs they didn't want I would probably say no as most have been predominantly pro EU.

Gloucestershire

-Matt

But people believed it.

I didnt say that

So you can see now then how its not really any power at all, in effect it is almost a pointless system to have in place. As regards your question, I think as regards the people in this country yes some feel that way but as regards were our governments over time forced into agreeing laws and regs they didn't want I would probably say no as most have been predominantly pro EU. "

And it is happening still, we have left and we are still being dictated to. Is this the exit you wanted or deserve?

liverpool

-Matt

But people believed it.

I didnt say that

So you can see now then how its not really any power at all, in effect it is almost a pointless system to have in place. As regards your question, I think as regards the people in this country yes some feel that way but as regards were our governments over time forced into agreeing laws and regs they didn't want I would probably say no as most have been predominantly pro EU. "

Hang on

Surely the overriding narrative for the last 4 decades has been Europe telling us what to do (up yours delors, taking back control etc)

So that logic makes no sense?

By *ebbie69Couple  over a year ago

milton keynes

-Matt

But people believed it.

I didnt say that

So you can see now then how its not really any power at all, in effect it is almost a pointless system to have in place. As regards your question, I think as regards the people in this country yes some feel that way but as regards were our governments over time forced into agreeing laws and regs they didn't want I would probably say no as most have been predominantly pro EU.

And it is happening still, we have left and we are still being dictated to. Is this the exit you wanted or deserve?"

We are currently still in transition and will be until the end of the year. Are you saying we should not negotiate?

upton wirral

Was it immigration? "

No No No a typical remoaner assumption

upton wirral

Disagree

Not us.

Some people voted for Brexit to stop immigration. "

Many did not why do you put your own racist angle on it?

People who voted to remain did they know why they voted remain?I doubt it

liverpool

Disagree

Not us.

Some people voted for Brexit to stop immigration. Many did not why do you put your own racist angle on it?

People who voted to remain did they know why they voted remain?I doubt it"

What are you on about?

Disagree

Not us.

Some people voted for Brexit to stop immigration. Many did not why do you put your own racist angle on it?

Because there is no benefit to leaving.

Being in the EU gave us a lot of protections and benefits.

How's that?

Hope that cleared up for you.

Manchester

Disagree

Not us.

Then you’re an idiot. They knew what the EU was it’s rules and benefits and negatives. Leavers had not the faintest idea what was going to happen other than leaving for leavings sake.

Taking back control of what exactly?

liverpool

Surely the obvious answer is remainers voted for things to stay the same

Poplar

"Surely the obvious answer is remainers voted for things to stay the same "

Things dont stay the same though do they.

The EU comes up with new ideas and things change for everyone.

A new country joins and suddenly you may be disagreeing with more countries than before.

Plus of course a new country who's entire population has free movement into your country.

A fine example is that the UK joined the EC, it changed into the EU.

So to say for things to stay the same is total rubbish.

liverpool

"Surely the obvious answer is remainers voted for things to stay the same

A new country joins and suddenly you may be disagreeing with more countries than before.

Plus of course a new country who's entire population has free movement into your country.

So to say for things to stay the same is total rubbish."

The status quo would stay same but obviously things would develop and change.

But you aren't going to wake up tomorrow and be told you are all speaking french.

Plus of course..when we were in the club we actually had a say

Poplar

But you aren't going to wake up tomorrow and be told you are all speaking french.

Plus of course..when we were in the club we actually had a say"

So by you own admission things change.

So the remainiers didn't know what they were voting to remain in because no one would say where the EU will be in 5, 10 or 20 years time.

liverpool

So the remainiers didn't know what they were voting to remain in because no one would say where the EU will be in 5, 10 or 20 years time."

Well obviously cos life changes but the basic premise of being in the eu wouldn't

So the remainiers didn't know what they were voting to remain in because no one would say where the EU will be in 5, 10 or 20 years time."

This is getting utterly ridiculous.

To argue that remainders didn't know what they were voting for.

The bottom of the pro leave argument barrel is being scraped, hard.

Poplar

So the remainiers didn't know what they were voting to remain in because no one would say where the EU will be in 5, 10 or 20 years time.

The bottom of the pro leave argument barrel is being scraped, hard."

Enlighten us all.

In 2040 where will the EU be?

How many countries with be in it?

Will every country keep its own language or will there be a drive to promote a single language as the EU language?

Will it still be called the European Union or will it become a super state. Have its own army, navy and Air force?

liverpool

Enlighten us all.

Will every country keep its own language or will there be a drive to promote a single language as the EU language?

Will it still be called the European Union or will it become a super state. Have its own army, navy and Air force?

"

So we should leave the eu because of things which may happen in the future.. which we had a massive say over?

I'm fairly sure if we did...the language would be English.

Enlighten us all.

"

Farage's scaremongering has worked well with this one

Poplar

Enlighten us all.

Farage's scaremongering has worked well with this one "

Mock as much as you like.

Truth is though you can not answer the question can you.

Enlighten us all.

Truth is though you can not answer the question can you."

You've scraped through the bottom of the barrel. You're hitting concrete now.

This line of argument is beyond ridicule.

Poplar

Enlighten us all.

This line of argument is beyond ridicule. "

Another one who's only answer is to mock.

Come on show some balls and tell everyone the answers to my questions.

Enlighten us all.

Come on show some balls and tell everyone the answers to my questions."

Will randomers who you don't believe anyway, answering your random, nonsensical questions on a forum, in any way enlighten you?

Where will the EU be in 2040. Right where it is now. And a fuck load better off than the UK. Even arch brexiteer Rees Mogg said it would take the UK 50 years to recover.

How many countries. maybe one or two more. Who knows. Why is this important.

Of course we will all keep our own languages. What a ridiculous thing to say.

Who knows what it will be called. Probably the EU. No the superstate bullshit is completely made up. And even if it wasn't. What's wrong what that?

The only point of interest in this exchange would be to know where exactly you get your bizarre ideas from. They seem outlandish, even my daily express standards.

Poplar

Enlighten us all.

Will randomers who you don't believe anyway, answering your random, nonsensical questions on a forum, in any way enlighten you?

Where will the EU be in 2040. Right where it is now. And a fuck load better off than the UK. Even arch brexiteer Rees Mogg said it would take the UK 50 years to recover.

Who knows what it will be called. Probably the EU. No the superstate bullshit is completely made up. And even if it wasn't. What's wrong what that?

The only point of interest in this exchange would be to know where exactly you get your bizarre ideas from. They seem outlandish, even my daily express standards."

The problem with you answer is it's just what you think will happen.

The truth is you just don't know the answer because you don't know whats going to happen. You like to mock but have no real answers.

As you mentioned 50 years let's go back almost 50 to 1975.

The UK had a referendum to join the EC. There was no mention it would become the EU.

So when people say they know what they were voting for when they voted to remain, they were actually voting to let the EU do what they like.

near ipswich

Disagree

Not us."

People didnt know what they voted for when we joined they thought they did a common market not a united states of europe this was all brought in through the back door.

Enlighten us all.

The only point of interest in this exchange would be to know where exactly you get your bizarre ideas from. They seem outlandish, even my daily express standards.

The problem with you answer is it's just what you think will happen.

The truth is you just don't know the answer because you don't know whats going to happen. You like to mock but have no real answers.

As you mentioned 50 years let's go back almost 50 to 1975.

The UK had a referendum to join the EC. There was no mention it would become the EU.

So when people say they know what they were voting for when they voted to remain, they were actually voting to let the EU do what they like."

Right. But we do have some idea what will happen. Actions have consequences.

If you drop a hammer towards your foot. Do you move your foot? Or just leave it there. You don't know what will happen. No one knows.

Look, I'm not ridiculing you. I'm ridiculing your "crystal ball" argument. It really doesn't make sense.

But I am interested where you get your ideas from.

liverpool

Enlighten us all.

Come on show some balls and tell everyone the answers to my questions."

Cant you are the irony in your post?

You are saying we should leave now because of what may happen in the future.

But we dont know what's going to happen.

What you predict may happen.But if it did become as you say..we could have waited and left then.

Instead we have gambled and left now, basically on the whim of the likes if reece mogg,Farage and the daily mail.

It's a masive risk and if they are wrong it's going to haunt us for decades.

Disagree

Not us.People didnt know what they voted for when we joined they thought they did a common market not a united states of europe this was all brought in through the back door."

This "United States of Europe" catchphrase was so successful. The anti EU propaganda had their finger on the pulse of the population.

We live in a world where information and facts are meaningless to the electorate. People would rather just vote based on the most catchy slogan.

It's as interesting as is it heartbreaking to hear people still repeating this nonsense.

Enlighten us all.

Cant you are the irony in your post?

You are saying we should leave now because of what may happen in the future.

But we dont know what's going to happen.

What you predict may happen.But if it did become as you say..we could have waited and left then.

Instead we have gambled and left now, basically on the whim of the likes if reece mogg,Farage and the daily mail.

It's a masive risk and if they are wrong it's going to haunt us for decades."

There is no risk what-so-ever. Brexit is playing out exactly as planned. The people behind brexit are reaping their rewards, while the rest of the country suffers.

liverpool

Disagree

Not us.People didnt know what they voted for when we joined they thought they did a common market not a united states of europe this was all brought in through the back door."

What does a United states of Europe actually mean?

1 currency?

1 language?

1 army?

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

" What does a United states of Europe actually mean?

1 currency?

1 language?

1 army?

"

1 down... 2 to follow.

Manchester

Enlighten us all.

"

Bring back the kingdoms of Essex and Wessex while your at it!

The world moves on and you either join in or fade away.

We’re not the worlds only industrial nation anymore and we don’t ha e the influence we once had.

It’s interesting to read at the turn of the 19- 20th century we dominated the world at sea. We had the biggest fleet by far and no one could touch us. But then we introduced the dreadnought ship.

We built the future in one fabulous ship.

Germany went ooo that’s nice and built one too. At that moment they had caught us up because all the previous ships became obsolete overnight.

That was the last moment we had world domination of the seas. Industry wise we have been overtaken by younger better governed countries.

Germany got a form of Marshall aid after WW2 as we did but we fucked ours down the toilet with old fashioned incompetent management and unions. Germany became the powerhouse it is today and we have always struggled to even stay in sight.

To look backwards to age of empire will only give you a stiff neck! Open your mind to the future it could be good.

I really don't think we need to even bother thinking about any Brexit effects good or bad as this Virus and the government's handling of it is causing far far more damage than Brexit ever could have.

"I really don't think we need to even bother thinking about any Brexit effects good or bad as this Virus and the government's handling of it is causing far far more damage than Brexit ever could have. "

So far in 2020, the virus and Brexit are about neck and neck in terms of economic damage.

"I really don't think we need to even bother thinking about any Brexit effects good or bad as this Virus and the government's handling of it is causing far far more damage than Brexit ever could have.

So far in 2020, the virus and Brexit are about neck and neck in terms of economic damage."

Now I'm no leave voter but I'd love to see a link that can try and confirm this

"I really don't think we need to even bother thinking about any Brexit effects good or bad as this Virus and the government's handling of it is causing far far more damage than Brexit ever could have.

So far in 2020, the virus and Brexit are about neck and neck in terms of economic damage.

Now I'm no leave voter but I'd love to see a link that can try and confirm this"

Think you could be waiting a while for that.

Now I'm no leave voter but I'd love to see a link that can try and confirm this"

There's been plenty of estimates. If you're genuinely curious just Google. "Economic damage covid Vs Brexit".

The general consensus is it's pretty similar. Covid will go away at some stage, while we're stuck with Brexit and the effects.

Here's one of many such studies.

https://ukandeu.ac.uk/the-uk-economy-brexit-vs-covid-19/

liverpool

Enlighten us all.

We’re not the worlds only industrial nation anymore and we don’t ha e the influence we once had.

It’s interesting to read at the turn of the 19- 20th century we dominated the world at sea. We had the biggest fleet by far and no one could touch us. But then we introduced the dreadnought ship.

Germany went ooo that’s nice and built one too. At that moment they had caught us up because all the previous ships became obsolete overnight.

That was the last moment we had world domination of the seas. Industry wise we have been overtaken by younger better governed countries.

Germany got a form of Marshall aid after WW2 as we did but we fucked ours down the toilet with old fashioned incompetent management and unions. Germany became the powerhouse it is today and we have always struggled to even stay in sight.

To look backwards to age of empire will only give you a stiff neck! Open your mind to the future it could be good. "

Said this before

In Germany the unions and management work together

Completely different here.

near ipswich

Enlighten us all.

To look backwards to age of empire will only give you a stiff neck! Open your mind to the future it could be good.

Said this before

In Germany the unions and management work together

Completely different here."

Very true that mate its in the culture now in the 60,s and 70,s the Russians had a big hand in that.

By *eddy and legsCouple  over a year ago

the wetlands

" What does a United states of Europe actually mean?

1 currency?

1 language?

1 army?

1 down... 2 to follow.

"

Yep most of them speak English only a few to go lol

» Add a new message to this topic