FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > How will brexit affect the welsh food industry?

How will brexit affect the welsh food industry?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *hagTonight OP   Man  over a year ago

From the land of haribos.

One thing that I dont understand is that welsh voted to leave the eu, but yet they rely heavily on eu for their grants and as well the meat trade, what will be the future for welsh you reckon? I hope it will be ok for them

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

"One thing that I dont understand is that welsh voted to leave the eu, but yet they rely heavily on eu for their grants and as well the meat trade, what will be the future for welsh you reckon? I hope it will be ok for them "

Same with Cornwall who benefited heavily from eu Grant's

When they left they apparently asked..will we still get the money?

"One thing that I dont understand is that welsh voted to leave the eu, but yet they rely heavily on eu for their grants and as well the meat trade, what will be the future for welsh you reckon? I hope it will be ok for them

When they left they apparently asked..will we still get the money?"

Yes we will see what will happen, but yeah there will be some tarrifs for the export of it.

By *exy7Man  over a year ago

Bristol

If the Welsh expect the tories to splash the cash in parts of the U.K. that never vote for them, they could wait a long time. If these people were stupid enough to vote for something that is so detrimental to their local economy, I wonder if they’ll be clever enough to spot the difference when it has gone tits up. 10 out of 10 for the tories for sending these areas to sleep.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Dunno. I'm sure there's something about freedom and sovreignty in the explanation somewhere.

"If the Welsh expect the tories to splash the cash in parts of the U.K. that never vote for them, they could wait a long time. If these people were stupid enough to vote for something that is so detrimental to their local economy, I wonder if they’ll be clever enough to spot the difference when it has gone tits up. 10 out of 10 for the tories for sending these areas to sleep. "

If they didn't splash cash prior to the £200 billion per annum cost of Brexit to the UK economy. They're sure as shit not going to do it now.

liverpool

[Removed by poster at 26/10/20 11:20:04]

By *heRazorsEdgeMan  over a year ago

Wales/ All over UK

As one of those Welsh people that absolutely did not vote for the shitshow that is and will be Brexit and indeed the current “government” I truly fear for Wales and expect economic devastation similar to the closing of the mining industry.... it’s not just Welsh farming that benefitted from EU grants, and what industry Wales has left will be massively impacted by a hard Brexit.

But then I worry about the state of the Union in general over this and anticipate a united Ireland and independent Scotland within 5 years... I’d like to hope Wales could join them but think our purse strings are too reliant on England atm

"As one of those Welsh people that absolutely did not vote for the shitshow that is and will be Brexit and indeed the current “government” I truly fear for Wales and expect economic devastation similar to the closing of the mining industry.... it’s not just Welsh farming that benefitted from EU grants, and what industry Wales has left will be massively impacted by a hard Brexit.

But then I worry about the state of the Union in general over this and anticipate a united Ireland and independent Scotland within 5 years... I’d like to hope Wales could join them but think our purse strings are too reliant on England atm"

Maybe you guys could form a new state, and rejoin!

By *lem-H-FandangoMan  over a year ago

salisbury

"One thing that I dont understand is that welsh voted to leave the eu, but yet they rely heavily on eu for their grants and as well the meat trade, what will be the future for welsh you reckon? I hope it will be ok for them

When they left they apparently asked..will we still get the money?"

All of them? At once?! Astounding..

liverpool

All of them? At once?! Astounding.."

Little tip

When you try sarcasm..make it funny.

By *lem-H-FandangoMan  over a year ago

salisbury

All of them? At once?! Astounding..

Little tip

When you try sarcasm..make it funny."

You usually provide all the humour.

By *ittleAcornMan  over a year ago

"As one of those Welsh people that absolutely did not vote for the shitshow that is and will be Brexit and indeed the current “government” I truly fear for Wales and expect economic devastation similar to the closing of the mining industry.... it’s not just Welsh farming that benefitted from EU grants, and what industry Wales has left will be massively impacted by a hard Brexit.

But then I worry about the state of the Union in general over this and anticipate a united Ireland and independent Scotland within 5 years... I’d like to hope Wales could join them but think our purse strings are too reliant on England atm

"

Let's face it, Westminster has wanted rid of NI for a long time, it's just been "politically difficult".

Scotland they won't be able to do much about, and I'm still not sure it's the best thing for Scotland, but I can understand the desire and willingness to try it (can it really be any worse?).

Wales unfortunately is stuck in an abusive relationship without the financial wherewithal to escape.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

"One thing that I dont understand is that welsh voted to leave the eu, but yet they rely heavily on eu for their grants and as well the meat trade, what will be the future for welsh you reckon? I hope it will be ok for them "
I spoke to a Welsh farmer sometime ago and asked about tis and he said they would not need as much subsidising as they could sell freely to world markets and sell more in the UK

"One thing that I dont understand is that welsh voted to leave the eu, but yet they rely heavily on eu for their grants and as well the meat trade, what will be the future for welsh you reckon? I hope it will be ok for them I spoke to a Welsh farmer sometime ago and asked about tis and he said they would not need as much subsidising as they could sell freely to world markets and sell more in the UK"

Do you spoke to a very confused Welsh farmer.

What does this tell us?

By *ittleAcornMan  over a year ago

"One thing that I dont understand is that welsh voted to leave the eu, but yet they rely heavily on eu for their grants and as well the meat trade, what will be the future for welsh you reckon? I hope it will be ok for them I spoke to a Welsh farmer sometime ago and asked about tis and he said they would not need as much subsidising as they could sell freely to world markets and sell more in the UK

"

I think the selling more within the UK is realistic. As produce from Europe will likely be more expensive.

I'm not convinced by the world markets thing. They have always been free to sell to these world markets, but haven't, why's that?

It is very hard to get an export business going, before anything happens all types of trust relationships have to be built (whatever the legalities turn out to be). It takes time, will these farming businesses have that time? I know many farmers are already skating close to the very thin ice.

The welsh thing is interesting in that not all of Wales was covered by EU regeneration money and so there is a lot of resentment in the areas that were not covered and this translated into a protest vote against both the EU and those areas such as Cardiff and Swansea that benefitted massively from this. The simple fact is that for many in the poorer parts of Wales they thought leaving the EU would mean they got a fairer share of the grant money which they probably will - its just a shame there wont be much of it and in the meantime the successful businesses like airbus will have closed.

They and us will get everything those who voted to leave wanted

By *ackal1Couple  over a year ago

Manchester

They will be eating a lot of lamb as it’s not going to be exported that easily.

WTO tariffs are between 40-80% and 90% of welsh meat is exported to Europe.

This is gonna hurt if no deal truly happens.

Another Welshie who voted to stay in the EU here.

Lots of Welsh people believed that big red bus with the slogan on it we send the EU 350 million a week. Lets fund our NHS instead. They didnt realise how much money Wales got from the EU.

No idea what our future will be when Brexit is finally done.

Time will tell I suppose.

"They will be eating a lot of lamb as it’s not going to be exported that easily.

WTO tariffs are between 40-80% and 90% of welsh meat is exported to Europe.

This is gonna hurt if no deal truly happens. "

No, no, no you've got it all wrong

Tarrifs cancel themselves out at world level, don't they Pat

I hope someday for an independent Wales and to then rejoin the EU

#YesCymru

But then I worry about the state of the Union in general over this and anticipate a united Ireland and independent Scotland within 5 years... I’d like to hope Wales could join them but think our purse strings are too reliant on England atm"

Yes, you are right there and the same. I also wonder how it will go for the union, lets hope it will be ok for them

"I hope someday for an independent Wales and to then rejoin the EU

#YesCymru "

Yes same here, justice to wales

By *bernathCouple  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

They get whatever they deserve,

» Add a new message to this topic