FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Unions cont

Unions cont

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ionelhutz OP   Man  over a year ago

liverpool

Twisted made a point that his moral compass is different to mine.

For the record.If you cream money for yourself,I dont care what party you represent.

You should be hammered.

I've said that before about Anderson and I'll say it again.

The difference is there is currently a huge scandal involving ppi contracts.

That isnt rumour or accusation it is fact.

I have not seen any of the usual suspects even try to address it.

So when talking about moral compasses,perhaps look at other people.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

Someone’s triggered

liverpool

If you are going to throw

Accusations around try to ensure they are at least on nodding terms with fact

North Bucks

"If you are going to throw

Accusations around try to ensure they are at least on nodding terms with fact "

I’m sorry I didn’t caveat my Union comment in a thread about Unions with a comment about politicians.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"If you are going to throw

Accusations around try to ensure they are at least on nodding terms with fact

I’m sorry I didn’t caveat my Union comment in a thread about Unions with a comment about politicians.

"

Anyway, on a thread about Unions, do the leaders of unions earn/deserve to be paid salaries in the region of 100-150 grand or whatever, when that money comes from members contributions, many of whom are low paid?

By *uliaChrisCouple  over a year ago

westerham

So the big question from Lionel was

“ 4th time

What place of work what have the better terms and conditions for its workforce?

A car factory for example which was heavily unionized or somewhere like Amazon?”

My answer, YMMV, if the car factory is still open, I’d say the car factory.

If however you were a worker at Peugeot Ryton, Ford Southampton, Honda Swindon or the whole of Detroit then you’d say Amazon.

Which was my point earlier, you can fight for workers rights, but there’s a limit of what’s commercially viable.

liverpool

"So the big question from Lionel was

“ 4th time

What place of work what have the better terms and conditions for its workforce?

A car factory for example which was heavily unionized or somewhere like Amazon?”

My answer, YMMV, if the car factory is still open, I’d say the car factory.

If however you were a worker at Peugeot Ryton, Ford Southampton, Honda Swindon or the whole of Detroit then you’d say Amazon.

Which was my point earlier, you can fight for workers rights, but there’s a limit of what’s commercially viable. "

At last an answer

By *ssexbloke72Man  over a year ago

Poplar

I've been a union member all my working life and I've seen the days of getting people in a car park and a show of hands on who turns up to go on strike. To everyone in the union branch receiving a postal ballot voting and then a honest result if the union members actually want to go on strike or not.

It's a much better system now.

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Eastbourne

I used to have a good opinion on unions, I was a member for a long time.

I now have a very different opinion of them. The reps are only out to fuck over the company, they claim to be for the worker but, seem to be only interested in looking after their mates.

By *otlovefun42Couple  over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

"I've been a union member all my working life and I've seen the days of getting people in a car park and a show of hands on who turns up to go on strike. To everyone in the union branch receiving a postal ballot voting and then a honest result if the union members actually want to go on strike or not.

It's a much better system now."

Fully agree.

But remember who made the changes from the bad old ways that the unions of the time fought tooth and nail against.

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

Unfortunately the Unions are remembered for the bad old days of the 70s and 80s.

A modern outward looking Union is not a bad thing. The rights of the workers have to be married up with the requirements of the management.

Anyone can join a Union, even if its just for the legal services that they offer.

"Anyway, on a thread about Unions, do the leaders of unions earn/deserve to be paid salaries in the region of 100-150 grand or whatever, when that money comes from members contributions, many of whom are low paid? "

How much do you think they should get paid. For example unison has 1.3 million members and GMB has 620,000 member and their membership fees are based on how much you earn.

"Anyway, on a thread about Unions, do the leaders of unions earn/deserve to be paid salaries in the region of 100-150 grand or whatever, when that money comes from members contributions, many of whom are low paid?

How much do you think they should get paid. For example unison has 1.3 million members and GMB has 620,000 member and their membership fees are based on how much you earn.

"

I'm not saying they do or don't deserve their wages (for me a wage should be determined by relative worth) but I seen someone argue the other day about charity CEOs not deserving of 150k so what makes a union boss any different?

"Anyway, on a thread about Unions, do the leaders of unions earn/deserve to be paid salaries in the region of 100-150 grand or whatever, when that money comes from members contributions, many of whom are low paid?

I'm not saying they do or don't deserve their wages (for me a wage should be determined by relative worth) but I seen someone argue the other day about charity CEOs not deserving of 150k so what makes a union boss any different?"

Depends on the union and the charity .

I'm not saying they do or don't deserve their wages (for me a wage should be determined by relative worth) but I seen someone argue the other day about charity CEOs not deserving of 150k so what makes a union boss any different?

Depends on the union and the charity . "

I don't disagree hence I feel that wages should be determined by relative worth. No one except a particular union's members/charities board/plc board decide that.

liverpool

I'm not saying they do or don't deserve their wages (for me a wage should be determined by relative worth) but I seen someone argue the other day about charity CEOs not deserving of 150k so what makes a union boss any different?"

Who said that?

Who said that?"

I can't remember exactly who said it. We had a discussion on the post but pretty sure it wasn't you

liverpool

Who said that?

I can't remember exactly who said it. We had a discussion on the post but pretty sure it wasn't you"

Let you off

Depends on the union and the charity .

I don't disagree hence I feel that wages should be determined by relative worth. No one except a particular union's members/charities board/plc board decide that."

I agree,

"

Minimum wage

Minimum wage "

Stop replying to my posts please, you were blocked for a reason

Minimum wage

Stop replying to my posts please, you were blocked for a reason "

You replied to mine!

Minimum wage

You replied to mine! "

So I did, It won’t happen again , and you won’t reply to mine again.

Minimum wage

You replied to mine!

So I did, It won’t happen again , and you won’t reply to mine again. "

Fair enough, you can make yourself look daft all on your own

By *iss_tressWoman  over a year ago

London

"Anyway, on a thread about Unions, do the leaders of unions earn/deserve to be paid salaries in the region of 100-150 grand or whatever, when that money comes from members contributions, many of whom are low paid? "

You realise union membership is not mandatory right?

You realise it's the members who set the salaries, so are you wanting to tell people how they should spend their money?

Didn't think so.

By *inaTitzTV/TS  over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

Unions are essentially insurance for employees against being treated badly by employers.

liverpool

If you work in a place without a union you have no voice on things like pay,conditions etc.

If you are bullied or the victim of discrimination they are your 1st point of call.

Saying that, arguing against something that actual benefits you, is probally rational to your average tory voter.

liverpool

You also cant be sacked for taking industrial action

You realise it's the members who set the salaries, so are you wanting to tell people how they should spend their money?

Didn't think so."

That's probably why union membership is falling so much then. And what do you mean it's the members who set the salaries? Which members?

"If you work in a place without a union you have no voice on things like pay,conditions etc.

If you are bullied or the victim of discrimination they are your 1st point of call.

Saying that, arguing against something that actual benefits you, is probally rational to your average tory voter."

You're living in the past

liverpool

Didn't think so.

That's probably why union membership is falling so much then. And what do you mean it's the members who set the salaries? Which members? "

No its falling because less places have unions.

liverpool

"If you work in a place without a union you have no voice on things like pay,conditions etc.

Saying that, arguing against something that actual benefits you, is probally rational to your average tory voter.

You're living in the past "

Of course

Didn't think so.

That's probably why union membership is falling so much then. And what do you mean it's the members who set the salaries? Which members?

No its falling because less places have unions."

Doh

Anyone can join a union

liverpool

Didn't think so.

Doh

Anyone can join a union "

And a lot of places dont have them.

Didn't think so.

Doh

Anyone can join a union

And a lot of places dont have them."

What do you mean lots of places don't have them?

liverpool

Didn't think so.

Doh

Anyone can join a union

What do you mean lots of places don't have them?"

A lot of workplaces do not have unions.

Didn't think so.

Doh

Anyone can join a union

A lot of workplaces do not have unions."

Ahh, workplaces. I see that.

Any employee can join a union though. And if an employer has more than 20 employees then a union can use the statutory route to be recognised.

liverpool

Didn't think so.

Doh

Anyone can join a union

Any employee can join a union though. And if an employer has more than 20 employees then a union can use the statutory route to be recognised."

Of course they can

But a lot of workplaces do not have their own union.

Didn't think so.

Doh

Anyone can join a union

Any employee can join a union though. And if an employer has more than 20 employees then a union can use the statutory route to be recognised.

Of course they can

But a lot of workplaces do not have their own union."

Of course they don't. Why would they?

liverpool

Didn't think so.

Doh

Anyone can join a union

Of course they can

Of course they don't. Why would they?"

In the examples I have given above

Didn't think so.

Doh

Anyone can join a union

Of course they can

In the examples I have given above "

Then what I would say to those employees is they can always start a union.

It's not on the employer to provide one.

If employees are too lazy to either create or join one then they have no platform on which to complain.

See this is the thing, with a lot of things, IF YOU WANT SOMETHING, GO AND GET IT.

liverpool

Didn't think so.

Doh

Anyone can join a union

Of course they can

If employees are too lazy to either create or join one then they have no platform on which to complain.

See this is the thing, with a lot of things, IF YOU WANT SOMETHING, GO AND GET IT."

It's not that simple.

Do you not think people are just glad to have a job?

And certain places actively discourage union activity.

Didn't think so.

Doh

Anyone can join a union

Of course they can

See this is the thing, with a lot of things, IF YOU WANT SOMETHING, GO AND GET IT.

It's not that simple.

And certain places actively discourage union activity."

It is that simple though. You cannot be fired for organising a union.

Who cares if a workplace actively discourages it.

Just sounds like excuses to me. For too many excuses in this world

liverpool

Didn't think so.

Doh

Anyone can join a union

Of course they can

It's not that simple.

Just sounds like excuses to me. For too many excuses in this world"

Ok well look at somewhere like McDonald's for example

What would the reaction be there if they were like..right union meeting 45 mins?

It simply wouldnt happen

North Bucks

Didn't think so.

Doh

Anyone can join a union

Of course they can

It's not that simple.

What would the reaction be there if they were like..right union meeting 45 mins?

It simply wouldnt happen "

Do union meetings etc have to be organised in work time?

Didn't think so.

Doh

Anyone can join a union

Of course they can

It's not that simple.

But it can happen. Just because you say it wouldn't doesn't mean it can't

Didn't think so.

Doh

Anyone can join a union

Of course they can

It's not that simple.

It simply wouldnt happen

Do union meetings etc have to be organised in work time? "

They don't have to be but can be. This is one of the shit parts see, unions will hold meetings during working hours just because they can

North Bucks

Didn't think so.

Doh

Anyone can join a union

Of course they can

It's not that simple.

It simply wouldnt happen

They don't have to be but can be. This is one of the shit parts see, unions will hold meetings during working hours just because they can"

Ah ok. Seems a little counter productive if you want good relations with the employer.

liverpool

Didn't think so.

Doh

Anyone can join a union

Of course they can

It's not that simple.

It simply wouldnt happen

They don't have to be but can be. This is one of the shit parts see, unions will hold meetings during working hours just because they can"

So unions should function outside work hours?

liverpool

Didn't think so.

Doh

Anyone can join a union

Of course they can

It's not that simple.

It simply wouldnt happen

They don't have to be but can be. This is one of the shit parts see, unions will hold meetings during working hours just because they can

Ah ok. Seems a little counter productive if you want good relations with the employer. "

So if you are bullied at work you should speak to someone in your own time?

North Bucks

Didn't think so.

Doh

Anyone can join a union

Of course they can

It's not that simple.

It simply wouldnt happen

Ah ok. Seems a little counter productive if you want good relations with the employer.

So if you are bullied at work you should speak to someone in your own time?"

Didn’t say that. Was thinking more along the lines of the whole branch/membership holding a meeting at a work place.

Stop getting all defensive.

liverpool

Didn't think so.

Doh

Anyone can join a union

Of course they can

It's not that simple.

It simply wouldnt happen

Didn’t say that. Was thinking more along the lines of the whole branch/membership holding a meeting at a work place.

Stop getting all defensive. "

I was simply using an example.

It has been proposed in the past that all union business should be done in your own time.

I'm not even sure facility time is allowed now tbh.

North Bucks

Didn't think so.

Doh

Anyone can join a union

Of course they can

It's not that simple.

It simply wouldnt happen

It has been proposed in the past that all union business should be done in your own time.

I'm not even sure facility time is allowed now tbh."

I can see the point about say holding one or ones for a member with an issue and that should be done on work time. But outside of an emergency meeting perhaps it would be more fruitful for a positive relationship to hold meetings outside of work time. With the advent of technology now that could be facilitated very easily.

Didn't think so.

Doh

Anyone can join a union

Of course they can

It's not that simple.

It simply wouldnt happen

You also used the example 'right, union meeting in 45 mins' as to why it wouldn't happen.

Maybe it's just me but that statement sure sounds like you want the whole membership to attend

liverpool

Didn't think so.

Doh

Anyone can join a union

Of course they can

It's not that simple.

It simply wouldnt happen

I can see the point about say holding one or ones for a member with an issue and that should be done on work time. But outside of an emergency meeting perhaps it would be more fruitful for a positive relationship to hold meetings outside of work time. With the advent of technology now that could be facilitated very easily. "

Like I said I'm not even sure if thats been cut.

We used to get faculty time if there was a meeting about pay or something but we havemt had one for a few years.

liverpool

Didn't think so.

Doh

Anyone can join a union

Of course they can

It's not that simple.

It simply wouldnt happen

You also used the example 'right, union meeting in 45 mins' as to why it wouldn't happen.

Maybe it's just me but that statement sure sounds like you want the whole membership to attend"

It was an extreme example as to why a union would struggle to function in an environment like Macdonald's.

Didn't think so.

Doh

Anyone can join a union

Of course they can

It's not that simple.

It simply wouldnt happen

Maybe it's just me but that statement sure sounds like you want the whole membership to attend

It was an extreme example as to why a union would struggle to function in an environment like Macdonald's."

Oh, we know you love extremities.

But, let's switch it to manufacturing where it can work.

'Right, union meeting in 45 mins'.

Still sounds like you want the whole membership to attend

liverpool

Didn't think so.

Doh

Anyone can join a union

Of course they can

It's not that simple.

It simply wouldnt happen

It was an extreme example as to why a union would struggle to function in an environment like Macdonald's.

Still sounds like you want the whole membership to attend"

I was making a point that in an environment like Macdonalds where it's none stop,it would be difficult to organise anything. Whereas you seem to think that its merely an excuse.

If you have a workforce on zero hour contracts how would a union work?

It would depend on the context.

I've never worked in Manufacturing.

I'm assuming if it was a meeting where everyone had to attend, they would do it where it would cause least disruption.

Didn't think so.

Doh

Anyone can join a union

Of course they can

It's not that simple.

It simply wouldnt happen

Still sounds like you want the whole membership to attend

I was making a point that in an environment like Macdonalds where it's none stop,it would be difficult to organise anything. Whereas you seem to think that its merely an excuse.

If you have a workforce on zero hour contracts how would a union work?

It would depend on the context.

I've never worked in Manufacturing.

I'm assuming if it was a meeting where everyone had to attend, they would do it where it would cause least disruption. "

It is an excuse to me. If you want it bad enough you'll make it work. If that means doing it in your own time, then so be it

London

Didn't think so.

That's probably why union membership is falling so much then. And what do you mean it's the members who set the salaries? Which members? "

The union members: thought that would be obvious!

The union national executive committee, made up of working members, with a few co-opted seats for retired members (who also pay subscriptions at a reduced rate).

The national executive committee sets out its agenda for the year, which includes salaries etc. They meet throughout the year and annually call an all members' conference to ratify any agreements etc.

The membership, and the membership alone set the tone and demands. The union general secretaries you see, most if not all, were ordinary union members themselves and cannot express personal opinion, only that of the membership.

London

Didn't think so.

Doh

Anyone can join a union

Of course they can

It's not that simple.

No one calls a union meeting in five minutes!

If you have a union at work your employer recognises it and will allow meetings to go ahead. Meetings are held during lunch breaks so as not to disrupt meetings and it's not every member it will be the branch committee.

London

Didn't think so.

Doh

Anyone can join a union

Of course they can

It's not that simple.

It simply wouldnt happen

But it can happen. Just because you say it wouldn't doesn't mean it can't "

No it doesn't!

Thatcher changed the union rules to avoid "every body out" scenarios. You HAVE to give your employer notice.

London

Didn't think so.

Doh

Anyone can join a union

Of course they can

It's not that simple.

It simply wouldnt happen

You seem unable to grasp the "union members" are the WORKERS!!! It's the WORKERS who call the meeting with co workers. They won't hold it after work because they're shift workers and will have domestic responsibility.

London

Didn't think so.

Doh

Anyone can join a union

Of course they can

It's not that simple.

It simply wouldnt happen

Facility time is only for branch officials. If your workplace has a recognised union they have agreed to meetings etc. It's a symbiotic relationship for want of a better word.

London

Didn't think so.

Doh

Anyone can join a union

Of course they can

It's not that simple.

It simply wouldnt happen

I can see the point about say holding one or ones for a member with an issue and that should be done on work time. But outside of an emergency meeting perhaps it would be more fruitful for a positive relationship to hold meetings outside of work time. With the advent of technology now that could be facilitated very easily.

We used to get faculty time if there was a meeting about pay or something but we havemt had one for a few years."

That would be because most pay deals are set at either three, five or ten years, so no need.

London

Didn't think so.

Doh

Anyone can join a union

Of course they can

It's not that simple.

It simply wouldnt happen

It was an extreme example as to why a union would struggle to function in an environment like Macdonald's."

I'll think you'll find it's more a case of a younger, transient etc workforce. Paying union subs from a low paid job doesn't make sense: I can see that.

North Bucks

Mistress bringing the real union knowledge.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"Mistress bringing the real union knowledge. "

Spot on, up to date and accurate..

Helps to cut through the what if from people who are opposed to having workplace representation for whatever reason..

"Mistress bringing the real union knowledge.

Helps to cut through the what if from people who are opposed to having workplace representation for whatever reason.."

Miss tress has indeed shown the knowledge. It's nice to have someone actually have the knowledge.

Just to point out, I am in no way opposed to unions. I took grievance with Lionel saying certain things.

I still stand by the fact that anyone can join a union and anyone can start a union.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

Helps to cut through the what if from people who are opposed to having workplace representation for whatever reason..

Miss tress has indeed shown the knowledge. It's nice to have someone actually have the knowledge.

Just to point out, I am in no way opposed to unions. I took grievance with Lionel saying certain things.

I still stand by the fact that anyone can join a union and anyone can start a union."

Good..

As an ex official also there's an awful lot of misconceptions many malicious about the benefits of being collectively represented which are based on some of the more radical actions that no longer take place..

liverpool

Didn't think so.

Doh

Anyone can join a union

Of course they can

It's not that simple.

It simply wouldnt happen

We used to get faculty time if there was a meeting about pay or something but we havemt had one for a few years.

That would be because most pay deals are set at either three, five or ten years, so no need."

Ours is every year

liverpool

I still stand by the fact that anyone can join a union and anyone can start a union."

S'funny

I distinctly recall you saying.. unions can hold meetings during work times just because they can suggesting they are disruptive

liverpool

Didn't think so.

Doh

Anyone can join a union

Of course they can

It's not that simple.

It simply wouldnt happen

I'll think you'll find it's more a case of a younger, transient etc workforce. Paying union subs from a low paid job doesn't make sense: I can see that."

The point was being made that people were too lazy too join a union.

I was arguing that in some environments its hardly encouraged to be in a union..I used macondanlds as an example, the likes of Amazon and asda would be 2 others.

I still stand by the fact that anyone can join a union and anyone can start a union.

S'funny

I distinctly recall you saying.. unions can hold meetings during work times just because they can suggesting they are disruptive "

And I stand by that. Are you saying it doesn't or hasn't happened?

liverpool

S'funny

I distinctly recall you saying.. unions can hold meetings during work times just because they can suggesting they are disruptive

And I stand by that. Are you saying it doesn't or hasn't happened?"

So you have nothing against unions but you think they are disruptive?

S'funny

So you have nothing against unions but you think they are disruptive?"

Some union reps can be disruptive.

I said I'm not opposed to unions. That doesn't mean I have to like everything about them.

liverpool

S'funny

I said I'm not opposed to unions. That doesn't mean I have to like everything about them."

Right..so unions reps are disruptive..not unions?

S'funny

I said I'm not opposed to unions. That doesn't mean I have to like everything about them.

Right..so unions reps are disruptive..not unions?"

Go bore someone else Lionel. Same old tact.

If you want to have a discussion then I'm open but this is not an interview where you just bombard with question after question.

liverpool

S'funny

If you want to have a discussion then I'm open but this is not an interview where you just bombard with question after question."

Ha ha

Superb

Another flounce

S'funny

If you want to have a discussion then I'm open but this is not an interview where you just bombard with question after question.

Ha ha

Superb

Another flounce "

I presume by that response you're not open to an actual discussion then?

Thought not... tata for now

North Bucks

S'funny

Ha ha

Superb

Another flounce "

Well not really. It’s just resorting to blithe desperation for micro victories.

Shame really as Mistress brought some good knowledge in and now it’s about clawing back points.

liverpool

S'funny

Ha ha

Superb

Another flounce

Shame really as Mistress brought some good knowledge in and now it’s about clawing back points. "

Not really

He made a dig about unions being disruptive and then backtracked saying I've got nothing against unions.

Then had a flounce when pulled up on it.

S'funny

Ha ha

Superb

Another flounce

Shame really as Mistress brought some good knowledge in and now it’s about clawing back points.

Not really

He made a dig about unions being disruptive and then backtracked saying I've got nothing against unions.

Then had a flounce when pulled up on it."

I hardly had a flounce. I stood by what I said.

North Bucks

S'funny

Ha ha

Superb

Another flounce

Not really

Then had a flounce when pulled up on it."

Yes really. It’s all about personal pride now. Looks like some people are bent out of shape.

liverpool

S'funny

Ha ha

Superb

Another flounce

Not really

Yes really. It’s all about personal pride now. Looks like some people are bent out of shape. "

Nope

Simply pointing out the apparent u turn.

North Bucks

S'funny

Ha ha

Superb

Another flounce

Not really

Yes really. It’s all about personal pride now. Looks like some people are bent out of shape.

Nope

Simply pointing out the apparent u turn."

In order to score a micro victory. Otherwise why simply point it out

S'funny

Ha ha

Superb

Another flounce

Not really

Nope

"

Quite...

But I haven't performed a uturn.

I stand by what I said.

liverpool

S'funny

Ha ha

Superb

Another flounce

Not really

Nope

"

What's a micro victory?

I'm sure if I'd have done it ,no one would have said a peep.

liverpool

S'funny

Ha ha

Superb

Another flounce

Not really

Nope

Quite...

I stand by what I said."

You did

You have nothing against unions but union reps are disruptive.

Think we have established that

North Bucks

S'funny

Ha ha

Superb

Another flounce

Not really

Nope

Quite...

I stand by what I said.

You did

"

This is an attempt at a micro victory seeing as though you asked mate.

Anyway let’s chat Unions

S'funny

Ha ha

Superb

Another flounce

Not really

Nope

Quite...

I stand by what I said.

You did

"

I have nothing against humans per se. But some of them are utterly fucking horrible.

London

"Mistress bringing the real union knowledge. "

After 25 years as a full time official I should hope so!

» Add a new message to this topic