FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > MP expenses.

MP expenses.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ssexbloke72 OP   Man  over a year ago

Poplar

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9174069/amp/Average-MP-costs-240k-YEAR.html

So Labour have the top 3 albeit the speaker of the House being one of them.

Considering how much the SNP hate Westminster they seem to be doing well with claiming money.!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

To be fair the lowest claiming MP is also Labour - Kim Johnson, who has only claimed just over £7k in her first 5 months as a new MP.

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

"https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9174069/amp/Average-MP-costs-240k-YEAR.html

Considering how much the SNP hate Westminster they seem to be doing well with claiming money.!"

Did any of them claim for a moat?

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

"https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9174069/amp/Average-MP-costs-240k-YEAR.html

Considering how much the SNP hate Westminster they seem to be doing well with claiming money.!"

Not gonna lie I would claim everything I could.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

Travel I would think for SNP will automatically push theirs higher..?

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Considering how much the SNP hate Westminster they seem to be doing well with claiming money.!

Travel I would think for SNP will automatically push theirs higher..?"

They are normally near the top.

I will agree too. The further away, the more you'd expect to a certain degree

By *atEvolutionCouple  over a year ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club. Stoke.

But you would have to see what they claimed for before speculating.

"But you would have to see what they claimed for before speculating.

"

Agreed. I see one has claimed 40k for accommodation costs

By *ethnmelvCouple  over a year ago

Chudleigh

To be honest, I’d rather we paid them £150k pa, gave them an expense policy equivalent to most companies and then barred them from earning money from any other source. I hugely resent MPs having incomes from ‘consultancy’. They should not be able to receive any funds from any influencers - this should apply to all parties.

By *atEvolutionCouple  over a year ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club. Stoke.

"To be honest, I’d rather we paid them £150k pa, gave them an expense policy equivalent to most companies and then barred them from earning money from any other source. I hugely resent MPs having incomes from ‘consultancy’. They should not be able to receive any funds from any influencers - this should apply to all parties."

Can't really argue with that.

By *ssexbloke72 OP   Man  over a year ago

Poplar

Travel I would think for SNP will automatically push theirs higher..?"

Silly me, I didn't realise an annual train ticket from Scotland to London was over £200K.!

"To be honest, I’d rather we paid them £150k pa, gave them an expense policy equivalent to most companies and then barred them from earning money from any other source. I hugely resent MPs having incomes from ‘consultancy’. They should not be able to receive any funds from any influencers - this should apply to all parties."

Yes. This

By *ebjonnsonMan  over a year ago

Maldon

All have their snouts in the trough. Always have always will.

By *irtylittletramp100TV/TS  over a year ago

Notts

"To be fair the lowest claiming MP is also Labour - Kim Johnson, who has only claimed just over £7k in her first 5 months as a new MP.

"

heard the term structuring expectations. only 7k in five month lol Im not having a go at you, it just puts into perspective the sums involved, all the people "helping" always end up helping themselves first! which is helpful!

Notts

Travel I would think for SNP will automatically push theirs higher..?

Silly me, I didn't realise an annual train ticket from Scotland to London was over £200K.!"

why does scotland have more seats in parliment when it has the same population as yorkshire and humber who have less seats? perhaps it needs a trim?

By *uliaChrisCouple  over a year ago

westerham

It’s much worse than just consultancy. Many of them are on the boards of companies, many of their spouses hold public positions (Dido Harding), accept endless hospitality etc etc

liverpool

Pay them more and bar them from taking 'advisory roles'

Simple.

"Pay them more and bar them from taking 'advisory roles'

Simple."

Why should they be paid more?

I personally think they should be banned from all other 'interests' whilst serving as a MP.

liverpool

Simple.

I personally think they should be banned from all other 'interests' whilst serving as a MP."

I think they are paid more it's less of an excuse to blag the expenses and claim on a 2rd,3rd job.

Simple.

I personally think they should be banned from all other 'interests' whilst serving as a MP.

I think they are paid more it's less of an excuse to blag the expenses and claim on a 2rd,3rd job."

I would argue that they are aware of the salary before deciding the want to be an MP.

I'd still let them claim expenses but that would be placed under serious scrutiny

By *ealthy_and_HungMan  over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

"To be honest, I’d rather we paid them £150k pa, gave them an expense policy equivalent to most companies and then barred them from earning money from any other source. I hugely resent MPs having incomes from ‘consultancy’. They should not be able to receive any funds from any influencers - this should apply to all parties.

Yes. This

"

i agree. also business donations to parties should be very very limited.

Notts

mps were paid nothing to start but meant poor people couldnt become mps! but it wasnt meant to be a gravy train ride.

could you band them from having other interests? farmers cant be mps? doctors? anyone with a shares isa? drawing lines might be hard, the company is in the wifes name, sons, nephews.....

By *ackal1Couple  over a year ago

Manchester

This I agree with and no housing allowance just flats in London paid for by the state if your constituency is more than 25 miles away.

On pay for two years after leaving / losing seat so no chance of lining up an earner based on influence.

Manchester

"mps were paid nothing to start but meant poor people couldnt become mps! but it wasnt meant to be a gravy train ride.

could you band them from having other interests? farmers cant be mps? doctors? anyone with a shares isa? drawing lines might be hard, the company is in the wifes name, sons, nephews..... "

I understand what your saying but a full time job is a full time job. No one is press ganged into being an MP.

You should not work or earn another income.

If it’s your family farm then the family run it. You have no involvement . Doctors work long hours so how can they have time to be an MP

I’m sure they will find ways around family interests but we could certainly stop the trough being so easy to take from.

Business insist on loyalty backed up by non compete covenants so I’m sure it can be done.

Notts

"mps were paid nothing to start but meant poor people couldnt become mps! but it wasnt meant to be a gravy train ride.

could you band them from having other interests? farmers cant be mps? doctors? anyone with a shares isa? drawing lines might be hard, the company is in the wifes name, sons, nephews.....

I understand what your saying but a full time job is a full time job. No one is press ganged into being an MP.

If it’s your family farm then the family run it. You have no involvement . Doctors work long hours so how can they have time to be an MP

I’m sure they will find ways around family interests but we could certainly stop the trough being so easy to take from.

Business insist on loyalty backed up by non compete covenants so I’m sure it can be done. "

Not all drs are gps, you going to lose a surgeon because he's also an mp? Don't we want mps from a wide range of backgrounds? Anyone earning good money has to take a pay cut?

I think it will be much harder than people think

Manchester

Business insist on loyalty backed up by non compete covenants so I’m sure it can be done.

Not all drs are gps, you going to lose a surgeon because he's also an mp? Don't we want mps from a wide range of backgrounds? Anyone earning good money has to take a pay cut?

I think it will be much harder than people think "

I’m all for paying the £150k plus reverted expenses and I can’t see thousands of surgeons suddenly becoming MPs they’re too smart.

Dentists would drop to that amount of income but not many doctors earn more.

Notts

I’m all for paying the £150k plus reverted expenses and I can’t see thousands of surgeons suddenly becoming MPs they’re too smart.

Dentists would drop to that amount of income but not many doctors earn more. "

But they are giving up on careers, you can't just drop out and go back five years later and step straight back in where you left off...

Even putting that to one side how can a law say what your relatives own... im with you, it would be nice to nail them down, shouldn't have to, but look at Nicola and Alex you would believe they never knew each other now, hard to prove who when where what lol

Manchester

But they are giving up on careers, you can't just drop out and go back five years later and step straight back in where you left off...

Even putting that to one side how can a law say what your relatives own... im with you, it would be nice to nail them down, shouldn't have to, but look at Nicola and Alex you would believe they never knew each other now, hard to prove who when where what lol "

Your point on Nichola and Alex very good I agree.

Regarding doctors losing a career. If they “chose” to be an MP then that’s like any career choice. Doctors are no different to an accountant trying painting for a few years. They could be an MP for 20 years or more.

I also mentioned that the pay should continue for two years after they lose or retire their seat to stop them taking consultancy or board seats off friendly companies they’ve dealt with as MP’s

They could use that time for retraining if needed and still be earning.

By *ebjonnsonMan  over a year ago

Maldon

We need to reduce the total - 650 MP’ S is too many. It’s the only ‘industry’ not subject to downsize or an efficiency drive & not impacted by technical advances.

Also of course we have the additional assemblies in Scotland, Wales, NI.

Too many politicians!

Notts

Even putting that to one side how can a law say what your relatives own... im with you, it would be nice to nail them down, shouldn't have to, but look at Nicola and Alex you would believe they never knew each other now, hard to prove who when where what lol

Your point on Nichola and Alex very good I agree.

Regarding doctors losing a career. If they “chose” to be an MP then that’s like any career choice. Doctors are no different to an accountant trying painting for a few years. They could be an MP for 20 years or more.

I also mentioned that the pay should continue for two years after they lose or retire their seat to stop them taking consultancy or board seats off friendly companies they’ve dealt with as MP’s

They could use that time for retraining if needed and still be earning. "

Personally if I had a good career I'm not sure I'd risk it to be an mp just to get voted out in 3 years time, perhaps it's why we've got crap mps! Only the ones who are doing crap want it lol or the rich ones who own huge businesses and its just pocket money. Just a thought. And yes to many parliaments lol

By *uliaChrisCouple  over a year ago

westerham

“They don’t make socialists like they used to in Coventry. Once upon a time, Dave Nellist, 68, the Trotskyist later expelled from Labour, took just 40 per cent of his MP’s salary — equivalent to the wage of a skilled factory worker.

Now his latter day successor in Coventry South, the young Corbynista Zarah Sultana, is extracting maximum value from the taxpayer. According to her latest expenses return, Sultana, 27, charged constituents £1,193.80 for a new iPhone last year because, she claimed, her “old phone stopped working”.

She charged 50,000 in non staff expenses and is the 37th highest charging of all MPs.

By *ethnmelvCouple  over a year ago

Chudleigh

So it seems we can all agree the following:

1. Stop MPs earning anything outside of their full time job as MP

2. Have an Expense policy similar to Civil Service/mid range company

3. Increase Salary to reflect we want focus

4. Reduce the number of MPs

This could be the sanest threat in the Politics section!

Manchester

"So it seems we can all agree the following:

1. Stop MPs earning anything outside of their full time job as MP

2. Have an Expense policy similar to Civil Service/mid range company

3. Increase Salary to reflect we want focus

4. Reduce the number of MPs

This could be the sanest threat in the Politics section! "

It’s a first but to be honest I do think we all agree.

We all want better government whether it be labour Tory Greens it doesn’t matter we want and deserve better.

Manchester

[Removed by poster at 25/01/21 21:47:59]

Manchester

"“They don’t make socialists like they used to in Coventry. Once upon a time, Dave Nellist, 68, the Trotskyist later expelled from Labour, took just 40 per cent of his MP’s salary — equivalent to the wage of a skilled factory worker.

Now his latter day successor in Coventry South, the young Corbynista Zarah Sultana, is extracting maximum value from the taxpayer. According to her latest expenses return, Sultana, 27, charged constituents £1,193.80 for a new iPhone last year because, she claimed, her “old phone stopped working”.

She charged 50,000 in non staff expenses and is the 37th highest charging of all MPs.

"

Agree it stinks but also look at the likes of Javid and his earning a fortune whilst still an MP. How can he be an effective honest MP?

It’s the best club in the world being an MP.

liverpool

Corbynista

» Add a new message to this topic