FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Freedom of speech

Freedom of speech

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ionelhutz OP   Man  over a year ago

liverpool

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-56524850

I'm normally quite liberal but I think incidents like this ,play into the hands of the far right.

There was a teacher murdered a while back when he was showing cartoons of Mohammed as part of a lesson and he asked if anyone who was offended to step outside.

Wrong imo.

What next?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *adetMan  over a year ago

Ipswich

Do you mean you think it's wrong that he used the images or wrong that they are calling for him to be sacked?

liverpool

"Do you mean you think it's wrong that he used the images or wrong that they are calling for him to be sacked?"

Wrong that he has been suspended.

How does that tally with freedom of speech?

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Do you mean you think it's wrong that he used the images or wrong that they are calling for him to be sacked?

How does that tally with freedom of speech?"

Touchy subject.

Ipswich

"Do you mean you think it's wrong that he used the images or wrong that they are calling for him to be sacked?

How does that tally with freedom of speech?"

I thought hate speech had now been defined as anything that 'offends' so I'd say he's well and truly fucked. People should be careful what they wish for

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

What was inappropriate about the cartoon?

Using cartoon depictions of the prophet Mohamed has previously led to very tragic events.

By *ovebjsMan  over a year ago

Bristol

He should have known you can’t upset the Muslims

And I make no apology for my opinion

Ipswich

"What was inappropriate about the cartoon?

Using cartoon depictions of the prophet Mohamed has previously led to very tragic events.

"

It'll take a few days to drum up enough outrage. Welcome to the UK in 2021

Bristol

It'll take a few days to drum up enough outrage. Welcome to the UK in 2021 "

Yes probably the weekend

Yes probably the weekend "

We had our crazy fun last year. It's the UK turn.

Ipswich

Yes probably the weekend "

I hope the teacher and his family are in hiding by then

liverpool

I thought hate speech had now been defined as anything that 'offends' so I'd say he's well and truly fucked. People should be careful what they wish for"

So how does that stack up against free speech?

Ipswich

I thought hate speech had now been defined as anything that 'offends' so I'd say he's well and truly fucked. People should be careful what they wish for

So how does that stack up against free speech?"

It doesn't dear boy

By *oxychick35Couple  over a year ago

thornaby

Yes probably the weekend

I hope the teacher and his family are in hiding by then"

the point is they shouldn’t need to be in hiding tho

liverpool

Yes probably the weekend

I hope the teacher and his family are in hiding by thenthe point is they shouldn’t need to be in hiding tho "

It just says the teacher has been suspended but considering what has happened previously I hope he/she is being careful.

thornaby

Yes probably the weekend

I hope the teacher and his family are in hiding by thenthe point is they shouldn’t need to be in hiding tho

It just says the teacher has been suspended but considering what has happened previously I hope he/she is being careful."

do you think he or she was being racist or it was a honest mistake ?

liverpool

Yes probably the weekend

I hope the teacher and his family are in hiding by thenthe point is they shouldn’t need to be in hiding tho

It just says the teacher has been suspended but considering what has happened previously I hope he/she is being careful.do you think he or she was being racist or it was a honest mistake ?"

We dont know the full circumstances.. I wouldn't say it was racist at all..I'm not even sure it was a mistake.

We are on very rocky ground if you can only teach stuff that doesnt upset someone.

By *ethnmelvCouple  over a year ago

Chudleigh

It sounds like he made annhonest mistake, but who knows? In light of the issues & deaths in France I think the teacher was ill advised to do this.

On the wider issue, we need to get rid of religious schools and make sure that all children are given a grounding in both monotheistic religions and polytheism, as well as atheism and being agnostic. We need to have an awareness and understanding of other views, but also the opportunity to discuss differences.

Ipswich

Yes probably the weekend

I hope the teacher and his family are in hiding by thenthe point is they shouldn’t need to be in hiding tho "

Yes I agree. I was being flippant. I'm just surprised that people are still surprised by these incidents

Well it's the new normal now. It has to be applied. This is the pandora's box everyone wants to open. It will get even more ridiculous. So it begins. Embrace the suck.

liverpool

"It sounds like he made annhonest mistake, but who knows? In light of the issues & deaths in France I think the teacher was ill advised to do this.

On the wider issue, we need to get rid of religious schools and make sure that all children are given a grounding in both monotheistic religions and polytheism, as well as atheism and being agnostic. We need to have an awareness and understanding of other views, but also the opportunity to discuss differences."

But if the teacher was say giving a lesson on free speech versus religious freedom, the Charlie hebdo thing would be part of that?

Like I said can we now only teach stuff that doesnt upset anyone.?

Ipswich

"It sounds like he made annhonest mistake, but who knows? In light of the issues & deaths in France I think the teacher was ill advised to do this.

On the wider issue, we need to get rid of religious schools and make sure that all children are given a grounding in both monotheistic religions and polytheism, as well as atheism and being agnostic. We need to have an awareness and understanding of other views, but also the opportunity to discuss differences.

But if the teacher was say giving a lesson on free speech versus religious freedom, the Charlie hebdo thing would be part of that?

Like I said can we now only teach stuff that doesnt upset anyone.?"

Yup pretty much

Chudleigh

Yup pretty much "

I don’t think you need to show the Charlie Hebdo cartoon to discuss religious differences. Choosing to do so seems unduly provocative.

thornaby

Like I said can we now only teach stuff that doesnt upset anyone.?"

yep it’s the uk Lionel last thing we can do is upset someone lol

Ipswich

Like I said can we now only teach stuff that doesnt upset anyone.?yep it’s the uk Lionel last thing we can do is upset someone lol"

Brought it on ourselves

Bristol

It does seems to be a hot potato, Chanel 4 news barely reported it!

I wonder why ?

By *ugehandsMan  over a year ago

Fife/ Newcastle

I remember Dave Allen being called a blasphemer by the Catholic Church and their religious followers many many years ago. As a comedian they were bore the brunt of his satire but over the years I think more people became desensitised about their Christian beleifs.

Mel Brooks did similar with Judaism.

Maybe this is what needs to happen with other religions.

thornaby

"I remember Dave Allen being called a blasphemer by the Catholic Church and their religious followers many many years ago. As a comedian they were bore the brunt of his satire but over the years I think more people became desensitised about their Christian beleifs.

Mel Brooks did similar with Judaism.

Maybe this is what needs to happen with other religions. "

don’t forget father ted lol

Ipswich

And when people saw this coming years ago they were labelled as right wing, xenophobic, islamophobic et al

And so here we are

‘Muslim’ isn’t a race, so it wasn’t racist. It’s kind of depressing that blasphemy isn't written into law but people still abide by it like it is.

By *ugehandsMan  over a year ago

Fife/ Newcastle

"And when people saw this coming years ago they were labelled as right wing, xenophobic, islamophobic et al

And so here we are"

And they were foolish to back down and be silenced by a minority who feel the need to shout down as opposed to debate the topic.

[Removed by poster at 25/03/21 20:48:20]

I'm sorry but Just Stop with your bullsh*t !

"

We had our crazy fun last year. It's the UK turn. "

Tuesday, March 16

Atlanta, Georgia

Eight people, including six Asian women, were killed when a White gunman stormed three spas, police said.

Wednesday, March 17

Stockton, California

Five people who were preparing a vigil in Stockton, in California's Central Valley, were shot in a drive-by shooting, the San Joaquin Sheriff's Department said. None had life-threatening injuries.

Thursday, March 18

Gresham, Oregon

Four victims were taken to the hospital after a shooting in the city east of Portland, police said in an initial report.

Saturday, March 20

Houston

Five people were shot after a disturbance inside a club, according to police. One was in critical condition after being shot in the neck, the rest were in stable condition, according to CNN affiliate KPRC.

Saturday, March 20

Dallas

Eight people were shot by an unknown assailant, one of whom died, according to police.

Saturday, March 20

Philadelphia

Monday, March 22

Boulder, Colorado

Ten people, including a Boulder police officer, were killed in a shooting at the King Soopers supermarket, according to police

Please stop comparing Occasional Madness in the U.K to the utter Lunacy that happens in the States !

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

So how does that stack up against free speech?"

There are many restrictions on free speech in this country now we all are meant to be politically correct it is not good

"I'm sorry but Just Stop with your bullsh*t !

Tuesday, March 16

Atlanta, Georgia

Eight people, including six Asian women, were killed when a White gunman stormed three spas, police said.

Wednesday, March 17

Stockton, California

Five people who were preparing a vigil in Stockton, in California's Central Valley, were shot in a drive-by shooting, the San Joaquin Sheriff's Department said. None had life-threatening injuries.

Thursday, March 18

Gresham, Oregon

Four victims were taken to the hospital after a shooting in the city east of Portland, police said in an initial report.

Saturday, March 20

Houston

Five people were shot after a disturbance inside a club, according to police. One was in critical condition after being shot in the neck, the rest were in stable condition, according to CNN affiliate KPRC.

Saturday, March 20

Dallas

Eight people were shot by an unknown assailant, one of whom died, according to police.

Saturday, March 20

Philadelphia

Monday, March 22

Boulder, Colorado

Ten people, including a Boulder police officer, were killed in a shooting at the King Soopers supermarket, according to police

Please stop comparing Occasional Madness in the U.K to the utter Lunacy that happens in the States !

"

And ? Triggered are we ? This was a post of freedom of speech not 2A . But hey indulge me in another post if you feel the need. You will just be embarrassed.

Tuesday, March 16

Atlanta, Georgia

Wednesday, March 17

Stockton, California

Thursday, March 18

Gresham, Oregon

Saturday, March 20

Houston

Saturday, March 20

Dallas

Saturday, March 20

Philadelphia

Monday, March 22

Boulder, Colorado

And ? Triggered are we ? This was a post of freedom of speech not 2A . But hey indulge me in another post if you feel the need. You will just be embarrassed. "

The Only Triggering done by americans , usually pointing firearms at innocent people

Tuesday, March 16

Atlanta, Georgia

Wednesday, March 17

Stockton, California

Thursday, March 18

Gresham, Oregon

Saturday, March 20

Houston

Saturday, March 20

Dallas

Saturday, March 20

Philadelphia

Monday, March 22

Boulder, Colorado

And ? Triggered are we ? This was a post of freedom of speech not 2A . But hey indulge me in another post if you feel the need. You will just be embarrassed.

The Only Triggering done by americans , usually pointing firearms at innocent people

"

I not pointing any weapon at innocent. It's easy for you to assume isn't it. But once again this was lionel posting freedom of speech not in UK and the effects. I know it hard for you to comprehend. It's ok you need a hug ?

By *uninlondon69Man  over a year ago

Lewisham

Yup pretty much

I don’t think you need to show the Charlie Hebdo cartoon to discuss religious differences. Choosing to do so seems unduly provocative. "

It's this for me. Any image of the prophet is offensive to a Muslim and if he's teaching a class then he knows exactly what he is doing. What about him teaching the kids about the 10 commandments by getting them to break a few? Hardcore porn in sex education lessons? No safety goggles in science lessons to teach them a life lesson?

If that teacher didn't know what the reaction was going to be then he's in the wrong job.

And for anyone who shouts "but we're a Christian country!", how often do you go to church?

liverpool

Yup pretty much

I don’t think you need to show the Charlie Hebdo cartoon to discuss religious differences. Choosing to do so seems unduly provocative.

It's this for me. Any image of the prophet is offensive to a Muslim and if he's teaching a class then he knows exactly what he is doing. What about him teaching the kids about the 10 commandments by getting them to break a few? Hardcore porn in sex education lessons? No safety goggles in science lessons to teach them a life lesson?

If that teacher didn't know what the reaction was going to be then he's in the wrong job.

And for anyone who shouts "but we're a Christian country!", how often do you go to church? "

Dont agree.

I'm not massively religious but you can take the piss out of 1 religion but walk on eggshells around the other?

We also dont know the full circumstances around the case yet.

When this happened previously, the teacher gave the opportunity for anyone who would be potentially offended to leave the room.Id be shocked if the teacher hadn't done the same thing in this case.

here

I don't think the UK has blasphemy laws.

The school has been bullied into suspending the teacher and forcing an apology.

I'm not sure we should be ruled by this kind of pressure, regardless of which religion or culture it is.

liverpool

"I don't think the UK has blasphemy laws.

I'm not sure we should be ruled by this kind of pressure, regardless of which religion or culture it is."

Agreed.

Bristol

I'm not sure we should be ruled by this kind of pressure, regardless of which religion or culture it is.

Agreed."

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"

I'm not massively religious but you can take the piss out of 1 religion but walk on eggshells around the other?

"

Agree on the first point, on the second not sure it's the right standard or benchmark to use..

It's akin to someone saying I'm going to punch you and it's ok as I punch 'Bob' and he doesn't complain..

Also giving people the option of not being in a room as they might get offended only serves to say offence is about to occur against whatever it is..

Not sure why any teacher needs to offend any particular religion in order to teach about an aspect of any religion..

Not condoning any threats made to anyone..

liverpool

"

Agree on the first point, on the second not sure it's the right standard or benchmark to use..

It's akin to someone saying I'm going to punch you and it's ok as I punch 'Bob' and he doesn't complain..

Also giving people the option of not being in a room as they might get offended only serves to say offence is about to occur against whatever it is..

Not sure why any teacher needs to offend any particular religion in order to teach about an aspect of any religion..

Not condoning any threats made to anyone.."

But the argument was that because you dont go to church, you have no right to be offended.

I'm certainly no Christian zealot but if you cant do anything which may upset a Muslim surely the same criteria should be applied to every religion?

The parents also sent around a news letter which compared the teachers actions to genocide.

For once in my life I'm agreeing with Birmingham weekender.

thornaby

I'm not sure we should be ruled by this kind of pressure, regardless of which religion or culture it is."

well said

in Lancashire

"

Not condoning any threats made to anyone..

But the argument was that because you dont go to church, you have no right to be offended.

I'm certainly no Christian zealot but if you cant do anything which may upset a Muslim surely the same criteria should be applied to every religion?

The parents also sent around a news letter which compared the teachers actions to genocide.

For once in my life I'm agreeing with Birmingham weekender.

"

Surely this so called pressure, probably meaning the reaction to offending is negated by not offending?

Why make a rod for ones own back..

The argument could be made there's too much sensitivity by one religion to being offended but if that's the case then why do it further if it's not necessary?

in Lancashire

It used to be black people, Irish, Jewish, heugeneot, Catholics..

The establishment, media etc and the need to blame a group to keep division rife..

By *00STERMan  over a year ago

nearby

Agreed."

This makes me feel very uncomfortable on a Friday, I’m in a politics forum on the same side as Lionel. The worlds all gone topsy turvy

By *renzMan  over a year ago

Between Chichester and Havant

Freedom of speech should work for both the left and the right, otherwise it's not freedom of speech.

Makes me wonder where the centre ground has gone to these days. Everything seems labelled as left wing or right wing.

here

Agreed.

This makes me feel very uncomfortable on a Friday, I’m in a politics forum on the same side as Lionel. The worlds all gone topsy turvy "

Lionel for once I agree if they are so up there arse about it why send your poor child to a state school send to a religious school for me the school are wrong suspending the teacher I'd have sent the children home and told not to come back till you except are way that would go for any religion jews catholic.

By *andy 1Couple  over a year ago

northeast

Agreed.

This makes me feel very uncomfortable on a Friday, I’m in a politics forum on the same side as Lionel. The worlds all gone topsy turvy

"

I know I am the same

liverpool

I think I may be having 2nd thoughts!

liverpool

"It used to be black people, Irish, Jewish, heugeneot, Catholics..

The establishment, media etc and the need to blame a group to keep division rife..

"

Like I said in the op though ,I think this is just playing into the hands of the likes of the mail.

If the teacher has said..if anyone may take offence at this may not be required to take the lesson..then we are on extremely shaky ground.

Say you were a white kid and you were learning about the Charlie Hebdo thing and wanted to see what has caused the offense?

In any case it looks like the crackpots on both sides have gegged in.

A parents news letter compared the teachers actions to the genocide of muslims.

[Removed by poster at 26/03/21 20:54:37]

Tuesday, March 16

Atlanta, Georgia

Wednesday, March 17

Stockton, California

Thursday, March 18

Gresham, Oregon

Saturday, March 20

Houston

Saturday, March 20

Dallas

Saturday, March 20

Philadelphia

Monday, March 22

Boulder, Colorado

I not pointing any weapon at innocent. It's easy for you to assume isn't it. But once again this was lionel posting freedom of speech not in UK and the effects. I know it hard for you to comprehend. It's ok you need a hug ? "

I have the right to speak freely, to tell an american that their countries views on freedom of speech are really of no consequence or value in a place that doesnt have laws where you can buy guns at the supermarket to kill people with .

Freedom of speech will be controlled by the people with votes for parties on what is allowed ir not allowed by those we vote.for in our government .

Not By A group set up to promote the usage of firearms !

No Hug needed .

P.S in Edinburgh we have a castle that shoots a cannon everyday.

This is to denote that it is 1 o'clock.

Not like in the U.S where it almost seems like any given schoolday

"And ? Triggered are we ? This was a post of freedom of speech not 2A . But hey indulge me in another post if you feel the need. You will just be embarrassed.

"

Well, that was a little heavy handed for a response......, was it not.....??!

May be it wasn't intentional but, it was a very general view to say "done by Americans"

That was how I read it, so, this post is just my opinion.

By *leaserforPleasureTV/TS  over a year ago

Whitstable

Odd how the police seem fine with wading into a bunch of protesting women for breaking Covid regulations but not so keen to tackle a bunch of bearded nutters breaking Covid regulations.

liverpool

Back to the teacher going to be interesting to.see what happens with him.

Can they sack him if he hasn't actually broke any laws?

Or would they file it under misconduct.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

Tuesday, March 16

Atlanta, Georgia

Wednesday, March 17

Stockton, California

Thursday, March 18

Gresham, Oregon

Saturday, March 20

Houston

Saturday, March 20

Dallas

Saturday, March 20

Philadelphia

Monday, March 22

Boulder, Colorado

I not pointing any weapon at innocent. It's easy for you to assume isn't it. But once again this was lionel posting freedom of speech not in UK and the effects. I know it hard for you to comprehend. It's ok you need a hug ?

I have the right to speak freely, to tell an american that their countries views on freedom of speech are really of no consequence or value in a place that doesnt have laws where you can buy guns at the supermarket to kill people with .

Freedom of speech will be controlled by the people with votes for parties on what is allowed ir not allowed by those we vote.for in our government .

No Hug needed .

"

Freedom of speech isn't it grand. But your skewed perceptions are way off. Speech away it's your right.

I'm not sure we should be ruled by this kind of pressure, regardless of which religion or culture it is. "

So we can be blasphemous to the Queen as she is head of the Church Of England then ?

liverpool

So we can be blasphemous to the Queen as she is head of the Church Of England then ?"

We domt have blasmephomy laws here.

"Odd how the police seem fine with wading into a bunch of protesting women for breaking Covid regulations but not so keen to tackle a bunch of bearded nutters breaking Covid regulations."

Well those beastly wimminy types were shouting "shame on you" at the police , after a policeman had murdered one of them a week or so before !

Shocking treatment by the feminine people .

So we can be blasphemous to the Queen as she is head of the Church Of England then ?

We domt have blasmephomy laws here."

I know its sarcasm & was directed at the head of a religion .

Mohamed/Queen .

liverpool

We domt have blasmephomy laws here.

I know its sarcasm & was directed at the head of a religion .

Mohamed/Queen .

"

Tuesday, March 16

Atlanta, Georgia

Wednesday, March 17

Stockton, California

Thursday, March 18

Gresham, Oregon

Saturday, March 20

Houston

Saturday, March 20

Dallas

Saturday, March 20

Philadelphia

Monday, March 22

Boulder, Colorado

No Hug needed .

"

You are such the UK patriot.

Tuesday, March 16

Atlanta, Georgia

Wednesday, March 17

Stockton, California

Thursday, March 18

Gresham, Oregon

Saturday, March 20

Houston

Saturday, March 20

Dallas

Saturday, March 20

Philadelphia

Monday, March 22

Boulder, Colorado

No Hug needed .

You are such the UK patriot. "

Im not anything to do with the U.K

Keep trying though

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

"Odd how the police seem fine with wading into a bunch of protesting women for breaking Covid regulations but not so keen to tackle a bunch of bearded nutters breaking Covid regulations."

Those protestors outside the school shouod have been dispersed in minutes. They had made their point verbally, and had also sent a rather inflammatory written protest to the school.

Muslims preach tolerance but sometimes rarely show it. Have no lessons been learnt from what happened to that teacher in France?

It needs their local Mosque leaders to step forward, say that an honest mistake has been made, that the school has apologised, it won't happen again, protests must now cease, and we now get back to educating our children.

Ipswich

These organised professional outrage mobs are engaging in a war of attrition. They know that we don't have blasphemy laws in the UK so they have switched to using fear and intimidation to silence their critics. The late great Christopher Hitchens saw this coming years ago and he was absolutely right

Chudleigh

Ok, so how would we have responded if a teacher had shared porn with a class of children?

Some things are wrong

By *uliaChrisCouple  over a year ago

westerham

Has Sadiq Khan used his freedom of speech and position to comment yet?

Have the teaching unions?

Thought not.

Whitstable

"Ok, so how would we have responded if a teacher had shared porn with a class of children?

Some things are wrong "

Showing porn to children is illegal.

Showing a cartoon of a prophet is not.

Chudleigh

"Ok, so how would we have responded if a teacher had shared porn with a class of children?

Some things are wrong

Showing a cartoon of a prophet is not."

My point is still valid, both are wrong to do. This isn’t about Freedom of Speech. It was just wrong to do & wholly unnecessary - It is not the Teachers role to provoke religious hatred.

By all means teach all children about all religions. But no need to show the Hebdo cartoon to do that.

liverpool

"Has Sadiq Khan used his freedom of speech and position to comment yet?

Thought not."

They are probally waiting to find out what has actually happened.

liverpool

Some things are wrong

My point is still valid, both are wrong to do. This isn’t about Freedom of Speech. It was just wrong to do & wholly unnecessary - It is not the Teachers role to provoke religious hatred.

By all means teach all children about all religions. But no need to show the Hebdo cartoon to do that."

But when you are teaching about the holocaust, teachers show anti semitic cartoons used by the nazis.

What's the difference?

Chudleigh

Some things are wrong

By all means teach all children about all religions. But no need to show the Hebdo cartoon to do that.

But when you are teaching about the holocaust, teachers show anti semitic cartoons used by the nazis.

What's the difference?"

Your example is to avoid the rise of Naxi 2.0, which was a cult not a religion.

liverpool

Some things are wrong

What's the difference?

Your example is to avoid the rise of Naxi 2.0, which was a cult not a religion. "

But surely showing an anti semitic can cause offence?

Chudleigh

Some things are wrong

What's the difference?

But surely showing an anti semitic can cause offence?"

I feel you are not advocating that showing how bad the Nazi were is wrong. Do you think schools should not use these examples then?

liverpool

Some things are wrong

What's the difference?

But surely showing an anti semitic can cause offence?

I feel you are not advocating that showing how bad the Nazi were is wrong. Do you think schools should not use these examples then?"

No you are missing my point.

They show the anti semitic cartoons to show how the nazis dehunaized jews.

However these cartoons could still cause offence.

However in a lesson about religion they are not allowed to show a cartoon incase it does cause offence

Sutely that's wrong?

Thought not."

Like Boris did after Harry & Megans interview, when

He was asked if the RF were a bit racist you mean ?

thornaby

Thought not."

to scared to

Thought not.

Like Boris did after Harry & Megans interview, when

He was asked if the RF were a bit racist you mean ?"

Why would the Mayor of LONDON say anything about something that happened in Yorkshire ?

Sh*t Stirring for the sake of sh*t stirring .

liverpool

Thought not.to scared to "

Has sadiq khan suddenly become mayor of west yks?

Thought not.to scared to

Has sadiq khan suddenly become mayor of west yks?"

I wonder if the same concern for Tory Muslim mps silence of

Saqib Bhatti, Nusrat Ghan, Rehman Chishti, Sajid Javid will

be questioned to ?

I doubt it very much .

By *ty31Man  over a year ago

NW London

Some things are wrong

Showing a cartoon of a prophet is not."

Would it of been appropriate of the teacher to show a derogatory cartoon of somebody's mother to the class?

That's similar to the way many Muslims feel about depictions of Mohammed.

It's really quite simple, have some damn respect for other people, the teacher should of known better. No he shouldn't be sacked but dont hide behind freedom of speech for this fuck up.

Whitstable

Religion / Faith is a product of nuture not nature, no one is born religious, its indoctrination.

If you stuck a group of newborns form various religious/ faith background families on an island and they had no exposure to any indoctrination they would not grow up believing in any particular cult / sect.

They would however develop their own sexuality and gender.

liverpool

Some things are wrong

Would it of been appropriate of the teacher to show a derogatory cartoon of somebody's mother to the class?

It's really quite simple, have some damn respect for other people, the teacher should of known better. No he shouldn't be sacked but dont hide behind freedom of speech for this fuck up."

Context is everything

I doubt very much if he was showing the cartoon to poke fun at muslims.

in Lancashire

Some things are wrong

It's really quite simple, have some damn respect for other people, the teacher should of known better. No he shouldn't be sacked but dont hide behind freedom of speech for this fuck up.

Context is everything

I doubt very much if he was showing the cartoon to poke fun at muslims."

Anyone in his position should know that for those of the Muslim faith it is seen as insulting to show a cartoon etc whether he intended to poke fun or not ..

Tbh if his intent was to do that then his judgement is flawed..

liverpool

Some things are wrong

Context is everything

Anyone in his position should know that for those of the Muslim faith it is seen as insulting to show a cartoon etc whether he intended to poke fun or not ..

Tbh if his intent was to do that then his judgement is flawed.."

Gonna have to agree to disagree on this.

Showing anti semitic cartoons Is offensive but its teaching something.

When this happened in France the teacher had said to the kids.. if anyone will be offended by this, you may leave the Room.

We dont know if this has happened in this instance.

in Lancashire

Some things are wrong

Context is everything

When this happened in France the teacher had said to the kids.. if anyone will be offended by this, you may leave the Room.

We dont know if this has happened in this instance."

If I visit your home where I know you don't allow smoking inside is it ok if I ask you to leave the room before I light up?

The complete bottom line is that it's clearly known in educational establishments what showing a cartoon means to people of that faith..

He could have said there was a cartoon etc shown in France and the response was etc..

It's a bit like teaching in an RC school and showing the life of Brian, it would be inappropriate and or offensive..

liverpool

Some things are wrong

Context is everything

We dont know if this has happened in this instance.

If I visit your home where I know you don't allow smoking inside is it ok if I ask you to leave the room before I light up?

The complete bottom line is that it's clearly known in educational establishments what showing a cartoon means to people of that faith..

He could have said there was a cartoon etc shown in France and the response was etc..

It's a bit like teaching in an RC school and showing the life of Brian, it would be inappropriate and or offensive..

"

But they are completely different scenarios..the smell of the smoke would still be there.

If you show a cartoon of Mohamed to a group of white kids, who is going to be offended?

And I've said it before..father Ted for example takes the piss out of Catholicism.. why should 1 religion be more sacrosanct than another?

Then of course where does it stop?

Whst If they start to complain about girls being educated?

Will we kowtow to that too?

Chudleigh

Sunni and Shia Muslims have different views on images, but it is not unreasonable to avoid using the Hebdo cartoon. I’ve never been religious, but I respect (most) religious views.

It is unnecessary to discuss Islam and use the Hebdo cartoon. No purpose can be served other than trying to be provocative. The teacher was clearly weak in using this and wrong. You can discuss Islam and Muslim fundamentalism and terrorists in different ways - many Muslims are as against terrorism as non muslims. I’d sack him for being a poor teacher.

By *uliaChrisCouple  over a year ago

westerham

Thought not.

They are probally waiting to find out what has actually happened."

Surely they've found out by now? Still waiting....

liverpool

Thought not.

They are probally waiting to find out what has actually happened.

Surely they've found out by now? Still waiting.... "

There will probally be a full investigation.

Some stuff has been leaked but we are only getting 1 side of the story.

There was a huge petition saying he should be reinstated

» Add a new message to this topic