FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > US voting rule changes

US voting rule changes

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *asyuk OP   Man  over a year ago

West London

Why have US States bringing in progressively more restrictive voting regulations?

If the Department of Homeland Security stated that it was the safest in history and every claim of voter fraud has been thrown out of court, hat makes it necessary?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-54982360

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-factcheck-courts-election-idUSKBN2AF1G1

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

The utter tyranny of having to show voter ID at the polls to prove that they were eligible to vote, vote legally, in the correct constituency and that they were registered US tax paying citizens. There's no way anyone would want to make it public knowledge that they voted for kanye west.

If there was such a thing as democratic fascism then this would be it!!

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

Nothing to do with us

By *ust some cock suckerMan  over a year ago

Preston

"Nothing to do with us"

This forums called Politics, not UK Politics

Hope that clears it up for you

By *ethnmelvCouple  over a year ago

Chudleigh

"Why have US States bringing in progressively more restrictive voting regulations?

If the Department of Homeland Security stated that it was the safest in history and every claim of voter fraud has been thrown out of court, hat makes it necessary?

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-factcheck-courts-election-idUSKBN2AF1G1"

I agree with you, it is simply an attempt by Republicans to stop Democrats from voting. The US needs a common set of rules across each State. It claims to be the leader of the democratic world, this doesn’t stand up if it disenfranchises people.

West London

"The utter tyranny of having to show voter ID at the polls to prove that they were eligible to vote, vote legally, in the correct constituency and that they were registered US tax paying citizens. There's no way anyone would want to make it public knowledge that they voted for kanye west.

If there was such a thing as democratic fascism then this would be it!! "

If the Department of Homeland Security stated that it was the safest in history and every claim of voter fraud has been thrown out of court, what makes it necessary?

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"The utter tyranny of having to show voter ID at the polls to prove that they were eligible to vote, vote legally, in the correct constituency and that they were registered US tax paying citizens. There's no way anyone would want to make it public knowledge that they voted for kanye west.

If there was such a thing as democratic fascism then this would be it!!

If the Department of Homeland Security stated that it was the safest in history and every claim of voter fraud has been thrown out of court, what makes it necessary?"

See the conversation in the Jim Crow thread... that covers a lot of this discussion....

I need educating here - what’s the problem with voters requiring ID to vote?

"I need educating here - what’s the problem with voters requiring ID to vote? "

Millions of Americans don't have proper ID. It costs between $75 and $150 to get. Sometimes with regular renewal fees.

This effectively excludes a lot of poorer people from voting.

At least that's the argument.

"I need educating here - what’s the problem with voters requiring ID to vote?

Millions of Americans don't have proper ID. It costs between $75 and $150 to get. Sometimes with regular renewal fees.

At least that's the argument."

Ah I understand. Why can’t the government provide ID to US citizens then? Problem solved no?

Ah I understand. Why can’t the government provide ID to US citizens then? Problem solved no? "

I would have thought so too.

Ah I understand. Why can’t the government provide ID to US citizens then? Problem solved no?

I would have thought so too. "

So the millions of Americans that do not have proper ID to identify themselves. Even those millions receive stimulus checks that required ID to cash. A bit ridiculous cash government check ID required. Vote nope no ID requirements.

https://dds.georgia.gov/identification-cards-fees

West London

So the millions of Americans that do not have proper ID to identify themselves. Even those millions receive stimulus checks that required ID to cash. A bit ridiculous cash government check ID required. Vote nope no ID requirements. "

If the Department of Homeland Security stated that it was the safest in history and every claim of voter fraud has been thrown out of court, what makes it necessary?

So the millions of Americans that do not have proper ID to identify themselves. Even those millions receive stimulus checks that required ID to cash. A bit ridiculous cash government check ID required. Vote nope no ID requirements.

If the Department of Homeland Security stated that it was the safest in history and every claim of voter fraud has been thrown out of court, what makes it necessary?"

Wouldn't it be more prudent if the votes are totally verifiable instead of constantly recounting? So we don't have the constant blowbacks every election ? It benefits both sides. No court dramas.

Wouldn't it be more prudent if the votes are totally verifiable instead of constantly recounting? So we don't have the constant blowbacks every election ? It benefits both sides. No court dramas."

In fairness. There was no need for court drama this time.

If ID is made free, I don't see why it would be a problem. If it excludes poor people from voting, then I can see why people oppose it.

Wouldn't it be more prudent if the votes are totally verifiable instead of constantly recounting? So we don't have the constant blowbacks every election ? It benefits both sides. No court dramas.

If ID is made free, I don't see why it would be a problem. If it excludes poor people from voting, then I can see why people oppose it."

Click on link it is free

West London

Explainer: Despite Trump claims, voter fraud is extremely rare. Here is how U.S. states keep it that way

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-voter-fraud-facts-explai-idUSKBN2601HG

Why do voting rules need to change?

EXPLAINER: What does Georgia’s new GOP election law do?

https://apnews.com/article/joe-biden-donald-trump-race-and-ethnicity-senate-elections-voting-87665a200f6442e28ef43cbc60c88653

Is the only change to voter ID?

"Explainer: Despite Trump claims, voter fraud is extremely rare. Here is how U.S. states keep it that way

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-voter-fraud-facts-explai-idUSKBN2601HG

https://apnews.com/article/joe-biden-donald-trump-race-and-ethnicity-senate-elections-voting-87665a200f6442e28ef43cbc60c88653

Is the only change to voter ID?"

Is voter ID wrong ? People in the Appalachians have 0 complaints about voter ID. Miles away from voting districts they still go and vote. The complaint is does voting interfere wit the racial vote in highly populated city areas. Now I live in the rual areas low income is rampant people are miles away from any city. They have ID and they vote. Voter ID benefits everyone. Insuring the integrity of the vote in my opinion is the utmost responsibility.

West London

"Explainer: Despite Trump claims, voter fraud is extremely rare. Here is how U.S. states keep it that way

Is voter ID wrong ? People in the Appalachians have 0 complaints about voter ID. Miles away from voting districts they still go and vote. The complaint is does voting interfere wit the racial vote in highly populated city areas. Now I live in the rual areas low income is rampant people are miles away from any city. They have ID and they vote. Voter ID benefits everyone. Insuring the integrity of the vote in my opinion is the utmost responsibility."

West London

Is voter ID wrong ? People in the Appalachians have 0 complaints about voter ID. Miles away from voting districts they still go and vote. The complaint is does voting interfere wit the racial vote in highly populated city areas. Now I live in the rual areas low income is rampant people are miles away from any city. They have ID and they vote. Voter ID benefits everyone. Insuring the integrity of the vote in my opinion is the utmost responsibility."

Many poor people or itinerant people do not have ID. It therefore restricts the vote , also many young people are reluctant to vote - perhaps with unpaid fines or no driving insurance etc if you have to show ID. So they don't bother.

It's a way to restrict the vote for the poorer sections of society.

"Many poor people or itinerant people do not have ID. It therefore restricts the vote , also many young people are reluctant to vote - perhaps with unpaid fines or no driving insurance etc if you have to show ID. So they don't bother.

It's a way to restrict the vote for the poorer sections of society. "

Appalachian rust belt. Does not get any more poor then that. They vote that narrative of being too poor does not play out. West Virginia one of the poorest states vote. So tell me again how asking for ID for voting is a race issue. You see those states screaming they are too poor to vote ?

West London

"Many poor people or itinerant people do not have ID. It therefore restricts the vote , also many young people are reluctant to vote - perhaps with unpaid fines or no driving insurance etc if you have to show ID. So they don't bother.

It's a way to restrict the vote for the poorer sections of society.

Appalachian rust belt. Does not get any more poor then that. They vote that narrative of being too poor does not play out. West Virginia one of the poorest states vote. So tell me again how asking for ID for voting is a race issue. You see those states screaming they are too poor to vote ? "

Republicans Move to Control Voting After Record 2020 Turnout

https://www.voanews.com/usa/republicans-move-control-voting-after-record-2020-turnout

'In state after state, Republicans seek to limit opportunities for early and absentee balloting that Americans flocked to last year.'

'Now Republicans, who control Iowa’s state legislature, have passed a bill limiting early, in-person voting and shortening the time allotted for absentee ballot submissions. Republicans argue that expanded use of both could invite fraudulent balloting even if no evidence of widespread fraud emerged from the 2020 elections.'

'“Why are we doing an election bill? ‘Do you not think that we had a successful 2020 election?’ I do. ‘Do you think that Iowa is rife with election fraud this last election?’ I do not.'

'the timing, immediately after Democratic electoral victories, is no coincidence.'

'“There’s no rationale for it being given that makes any sense,” she told VOA. “It’s not as if there was, for example, a problem with the polls being open until 9 instead of 8. In fact, voters who work a long day may only be able to vote at that time.”'

Was the election described as the most secure in history by the Department of Homeland Security and is there any evidence of widespread voter fraud?

If not, why are changes needed?

Are the only changes to voter rules requirements for ID?

By *losguygl3Man  over a year ago

Gloucester

Ah I understand. Why can’t the government provide ID to US citizens then? Problem solved no? "

Population is about 330m at say $100 each. Expensive. Although I’m sure they could do it cheaper if they had to.

Gloucester

If ID is made free, I don't see why it would be a problem. If it excludes poor people from voting, then I can see why people oppose it.

Click on link it is free"

I saw higher up there is a cost. Is free ID just in Georgia?

Gloucester

If the polling station is miles away, why not vote online or go old school and vote by post?

With the integrity of the election destroyed, the CSA is a one party country.

The democrats will "win" every election from now on.

This may sound snobbish but it's not meant to be (I'm not exactly super wealthy or anything)...but do the less well off in America not have to produce ID or something to avail themselves of all the free stuff that team red always complain about them having?

Social security cheques (checks if you're yank), food stamps, obama care etc. Surely the ID that entities people to that would make an adequate voting validation. Sort of like our national insurance number in UK.

Also let's not assume that it's ONLY effecting less well off people of colour (color if you're a yank) that vote team blue. I dare say there are many many team red supporters that would be effected also. Just a thought

West London

"With the integrity of the election destroyed, the CSA is a one party country.

The democrats will "win" every election from now on."

If the Department of Homeland Security stated that it was the securesy in history and every claim of voter fraud has been thrown out of court, how has election I integrity been "destroyed"?

If the Department of Homeland Security stated that it was the securesy in history and every claim of voter fraud has been thrown out of court, how has election I integrity been "destroyed"?

Wouldn't it be more prudent to have a accurate count instead of challenging every election ? Iowa a red state enacting same rules. Along with others to follow.

Reuters LOL

A heavily biased disgraced site.

By *eparrain1Man  over a year ago

Stone

"Nothing to do with us

This forums called Politics, not UK Politics

Hope that clears it up for you "

Reuters LOL

A heavily biased disgraced site. "

Any way you look at these laws it benefits both sides even if republican party loses. Election integrity is paramount.

Gloucester

The democrats will "win" every election from now on."

Well let’s hope so

Well let’s hope so "

Well it's great for the CSA and making sure it'll always be America last, till it dies

West London

Wouldn't it be more prudent to have a accurate count instead of challenging every election ? Iowa a red state enacting same rules. Along with others to follow."

Is it necessary?

Are changes only being made to voter ID?

Wouldn't it be more prudent to have a accurate count instead of challenging every election ? Iowa a red state enacting same rules. Along with others to follow.

Is it necessary?

Are changes only being made to voter ID?"

You have google 50 states election laws alot to post on here.

Is it necessary?

You have google 50 states election laws alot to post on here."

Absentee ballot cast without a some form of ID on file is a bad thing ? How do you know if it is real ?

West London

Is it necessary?

Absentee ballot cast without a some form of ID on file is a bad thing ? How do you know if it is real ? "

Call me a cynic but isn't the point of elections is to get a accurate fair count ? Unless I am wrong here someone please te me the difference between a fair count and a count that constantly has to be challenged. Waste of time and taxpayer money. What other solution is there open for ideas.

By *bernathCouple  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

Republicans get an ass whooping, so they whine about ballots, so they change the rules to stop people voting against them. That’s all I am seeing.

Here’s the deal, instead of moaning about this, become electable by making polices which are accepted by all and actually demonstrating they are a credible alternative to the democrats and then maybe you have a winning chance. Don’t cheat by moving to goalposts.

"Republicans get an ass whooping, so they whine about ballots, so they change the rules to stop people voting against them. That’s all I am seeing.

Here’s the deal, instead of moaning about this, become electable by making polices which are accepted by all and actually demonstrating they are a credible alternative to the democrats and then maybe you have a winning chance. Don’t cheat by moving to goalposts."

And yet alot of states have the same policy. You fail to realize that. Needs to be a more standard approach to elections.

"Republicans get an ass whooping, so they whine about ballots, so they change the rules to stop people voting against them. That’s all I am seeing.

Here’s the deal, instead of moaning about this, become electable by making polices which are accepted by all and actually demonstrating they are a credible alternative to the democrats and then maybe you have a winning chance. Don’t cheat by moving to goalposts.

And yet alot of states have the same policy. You fail to realize that. Needs to be a more standard approach to elections. "

. Idc if "Republicans" get a ass whooping. The integrity of the vote is more important.Did not fight for this country to have different rules because it suits a certain agenda.

Gloucestershire

And yet alot of states have the same policy. You fail to realize that. Needs to be a more standard approach to elections. "

Yeah like how to win honestly instead of cheating to win power.

That’s the best approach, make it a straight contest, based on policies not endless moaning

And yet alot of states have the same policy. You fail to realize that. Needs to be a more standard approach to elections.

That’s the best approach, make it a straight contest, based on policies not endless moaning "

Is voter ID so horrendous ? It eliminates any issues does it not ? I fail to realize your point of view. It benefits everyone. No matter the political spectrum. No more challenges that causes discord for the greater good. If I wrong in this like I said call me cynical. To me election integrity is the utmost importance. It stops all the hate.

That’s the best approach, make it a straight contest, based on policies not endless moaning "

White People standing outside polling stations intimidating black voters with verbal abuse , is that winning honestly or cheating?

That’s the best approach, make it a straight contest, based on policies not endless moaning

White People standing outside polling stations intimidating black voters with verbal abuse , is that winning honestly or cheating?"

Right on time. Was waiting for your response you never fail to amuse. Show me 1 instance. It's 6:39 here you are very astute on your comments. I expected it. I have to say your timing is impeccable. Bravo

White People standing outside polling stations intimidating black voters with verbal abuse , is that winning honestly or cheating?

Right on time. Was waiting for your response you never fail to amuse. Show me 1 instance. It's 6:39 here you are very astute on your comments. I expected it. I have to say your timing is impeccable. Bravo "

Nothing ? Sit down and hush and let's us adults discuss. Not that hard to figure out our differences. I know it hard for your brain to fathom issues. It's ok one day you will grow up I promise or maybe not

Right on time. Was waiting for your response you never fail to amuse. Show me 1 instance. It's 6:39 here you are very astute on your comments. I expected it. I have to say your timing is impeccable. Bravo

Nothing ? Sit down and hush and let's us adults discuss. Not that hard to figure out our differences. I know it hard for your brain to fathom issues. It's ok one day you will grow up I promise or maybe not "

If you feel the need to look like the village idiot I am all for it. It's pure entertainment. You going to brighten someone's day. Including mine. Jesters are the best

By *ireman28Man  over a year ago

Derbyshire/ Nottinghamshire

Yawn.

"Yawn. "
plays

vagina wider please

Right on time. Was waiting for your response you never fail to amuse. Show me 1 instance. It's 6:39 here you are very astute on your comments. I expected it. I have to say your timing is impeccable. Bravo "

It was a series of Interviews from a uk reporter talking to black americans before the 2020 elections . Ran for 3 or 4 shows over a month . Cant remember if it was bbc itv or ch 4 .

Very honest experiences from those who voted for trump & clinton obama back as far as Reagan & Carter . 1 couple who were 1 of Trumps biggest donaters & involved rather high up in the republican party, said it would boost the black vote with The way 2020 was done . They lived in DC so maybe they dont see what the others did

Nothing ? Sit down and hush and let's us adults discuss. Not that hard to figure out our differences. I know it hard for your brain to fathom issues. It's ok one day you will grow up I promise or maybe not "

It was a series of Interviews from a uk reporter talking to black americans before the 2020 elections . Ran for 3 or 4 shows over a month . Cant remember if it was bbc itv or ch 4 .

Very honest experiences from those who voted for trump & clinton obama back as far as Reagan & Carter . 1 couple who were 1 of Trumps biggest donaters & involved rather high up in the republican party, said it would boost the black vote with The way 2020 was done . They lived in DC so maybe they dont see what the others did

"

The relevance to having a secure election to your insight is ?

The relevance to having a secure election to your insight is ? "

We have postal voting here in the uk ballots are.sent out filled in & sent back .its secure honestly . The fact that america has gone so far down the rabbit hole chasing conspiracy says that all is not right in your country It isnt the viting system you need to look at . Its yourselves as People of a Nation that needs to do that .

The U.K is going that way a little but fortunately the masses wont allow that kind of sh*t to be shovelled down our throats anymore .

Still Im suprised you'd want to listen as you lot think you are the adults . 244 years old as a country & you think you are the finest speakers of politics . The uk is nearly 800 years in , other parts of Europe over a thousand .

The relevance to having a secure election to your insight is ?

We have postal voting here in the uk ballots are.sent out filled in & sent back .its secure honestly . The fact that america has gone so far down the rabbit hole chasing conspiracy says that all is not right in your country It isnt the viting system you need to look at . Its yourselves as People of a Nation that needs to do that .

The U.K is going that way a little but fortunately the masses wont allow that kind of sh*t to be shovelled down our throats anymore .

Still Im suprised you'd want to listen as you lot think you are the adults . 244 years old as a country & you think you are the finest speakers of politics . The uk is nearly 800 years in , other parts of Europe over a thousand . "

That is what you call adults of politics , not a mere quarter of a century

By *unnyPairCouple  over a year ago

Seminole

I was in Afghanistan for a few of the often contested elections, and despite the cold, the terrain and the inherent danger, or the inevitable corruption that probably made some votes irrelevant anyway, people physically walked and cast their votes. If you’ve never been to this region, let me tell you that for a lot of people, that walk takes a couple of days one way!

We say people can’t use the internet, or get voter ID, or get to a polling station, or get bullied by influencers in the voting line?

I think if you know a vote is coming and you want to be heard, you get out and vote....in fact, up until 2020 when everyone forgot how to walk apparently, “Get out and vote” was kind of the National slogan.

Let’s just imagine that we could produce a mobile polling station, like a van, or a semi trailer that would be moved from street to street to help those without transportation? That to me would work. I mean I can see that there are a lot of people who would like to vote that would struggle to physically get there, so for that small percentage the mobile site would be effective right? Unless it’s like a handicap parking spot in front of the grocery that seems to inspire more first time handicaps just because it’s twelve feet closer.

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Call me a cynic but isn't the point of elections is to get a accurate fair count ? Unless I am wrong here someone please te me the difference between a fair count and a count that constantly has to be challenged. Waste of time and taxpayer money. What other solution is there open for ideas. "

There is a fantastic idea out there... you might want to have a look

SB1..... now S1 in the senate..... it’s called the voting rights act!

It would sent a minimum federal standard that states would have to abide by in elections.. number of minimum days of early voting, ID requirements, number polling places per percentage of the population..minimum openings hrs for voting on Election Day.. actually making Election Day a public holiday!

It would also put an end to gerrymandering as it would be an independent commission that would draw congressional lines!

It would also mandate that any person or business funding a party or PAC over a certain amount would have to be publicly known...

and limiting actually election spending!

If you want to get really radical..... SB4... the John Lewis voting rights act.... it goes even further than SB1 by banning dark money being spent (the citizens united clause)

Gloucester

Is it necessary?

Absentee ballot cast without a some form of ID on file is a bad thing ? How do you know if it is real ? "

Well it’s secure and normal in Europe. I’m pretty sure the ‘leaders of the free world’ should be able to manage it.

Gloucester

"I was in Afghanistan for a few of the often contested elections, and despite the cold, the terrain and the inherent danger, or the inevitable corruption that probably made some votes irrelevant anyway, people physically walked and cast their votes. If you’ve never been to this region, let me tell you that for a lot of people, that walk takes a couple of days one way!

We say people can’t use the internet, or get voter ID, or get to a polling station, or get bullied by influencers in the voting line?

I think if you know a vote is coming and you want to be heard, you get out and vote....in fact, up until 2020 when everyone forgot how to walk apparently, “Get out and vote” was kind of the National slogan.

Let’s just imagine that we could produce a mobile polling station, like a van, or a semi trailer that would be moved from street to street to help those without transportation? That to me would work. I mean I can see that there are a lot of people who would like to vote that would struggle to physically get there, so for that small percentage the mobile site would be effective right? Unless it’s like a handicap parking spot in front of the grocery that seems to inspire more first time handicaps just because it’s twelve feet closer."

Sorry but that is a load of 20th century regressionism. 21st Century!

Face recognition software is common as muck. Vote by phone will be normal in the next 10 years.

Good.

"I was in Afghanistan for a few of the often contested elections, and despite the cold, the terrain and the inherent danger, or the inevitable corruption that probably made some votes irrelevant anyway, people physically walked and cast their votes. If you’ve never been to this region, let me tell you that for a lot of people, that walk takes a couple of days one way!

Let’s just imagine that we could produce a mobile polling station, like a van, or a semi trailer that would be moved from street to street to help those without transportation? That to me would work. I mean I can see that there are a lot of people who would like to vote that would struggle to physically get there, so for that small percentage the mobile site would be effective right? Unless it’s like a handicap parking spot in front of the grocery that seems to inspire more first time handicaps just because it’s twelve feet closer.

Sorry but that is a load of 20th century regressionism. 21st Century!

Face recognition software is common as muck. Vote by phone will be normal in the next 10 years.

Good."

Got to make sure of the vaccine chip to vote though.!

Gloucestershire

Is voter ID so horrendous ? It eliminates any issues does it not ? I fail to realize your point of view. It benefits everyone. No matter the political spectrum. No more challenges that causes discord for the greater good. If I wrong in this like I said call me cynical. To me election integrity is the utmost importance. It stops all the hate."

If it costs people to purchase said ID’s then yes it a pretty messed up idea. Will they provide them for free?

Is voter ID so horrendous ? It eliminates any issues does it not ? I fail to realize your point of view. It benefits everyone. No matter the political spectrum. No more challenges that causes discord for the greater good. If I wrong in this like I said call me cynical. To me election integrity is the utmost importance. It stops all the hate.

If it costs people to purchase said ID’s then yes it a pretty messed up idea. Will they provide them for free? "

https://dds.georgia.gov/voter-id

So is voter ID bad. Identifying yourself to vote when every election is being challenged. I hope everyone remembers stop the steal. I am for it. No more trying to usurp a government. Plain simple and direct.

Chudleigh

Wouldn't it be more prudent if the votes are totally verifiable instead of constantly recounting? So we don't have the constant blowbacks every election ? It benefits both sides. No court dramas."

Wouldn’t it be better if every County & State had the same voting rules?

Newcastle and Gateshead

Wouldn’t it be better if every County & State had the same voting rules? "

Ahem... you mean like HR1 that passed in the house and is now SB1 in the senate....... i now..... radical

Newcastle and Gateshead

"So is voter ID bad. Identifying yourself to vote when every election is being challenged. I hope everyone remembers stop the steal. I am for it. No more trying to usurp a government. Plain simple and direct."

You know HR1 actually solves that issue.... it automatically enrolls anyone who has an “interaction” with the federal government... so for example.... passport application, interaction with the DMV, everytime you file your taxes! Ect..... because the federal government would have information about you!

"So is voter ID bad. Identifying yourself to vote when every election is being challenged. I hope everyone remembers stop the steal. I am for it. No more trying to usurp a government. Plain simple and direct.

You know HR1 actually solves that issue.... it automatically enrolls anyone who has an “interaction” with the federal government... so for example.... passport application, interaction with the DMV, everytime you file your taxes! Ect..... because the federal government would have information about you!"

So does the states have the same information. I don't like federal government controlling states. States have constitutions for a reason. That allowance opens up all sorts of federal control. The overall public vote for 2 seats. President and vice. The representatives for each state are voted in by their constituents. Giving the federal government that control is attune to dictatorship.

West London

Trump might have 'found' the votes he needed to win Georgia under state's new election law

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2021/04/03/georgia-voting-law-boosts-republican-control-of-elections-column/4840793001/

"Tucked inside the new Georgia elections law is a measure that shifts a significant amount of election oversight power from the secretary of state and county election boards to the legislature. The measure removes the elected secretary of state as chair of the state election board and replaces him or her with an appointee of the Republican-run legislature.

Just a few months after Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger says “no” to magical vote-finding, the legislature takes a chunk of power and authority from his office and shifts it to someone of their choosing

Let’s say the state board does not like the way vote-counting is going in heavily Democratic Fulton County. Under the new law, the board can fire those in charge and plop in a new boss more to its liking.

Arizona — which like Georgia dealt Trump a narrow defeat — is also weighing legislation that would make election oversight more prone to partisan manipulation; one measure introduced there would give the GOP-led legislature authority over the state elections manual, which now rests in the hands of the governor, attorney general and secretary of state.

up next

Delta CEO: New Georgia voting law is 'unacceptable'

OPINION

Trump might have 'found' the votes he needed to win Georgia under state's new election law

Republican legislators now have more oversight and power over elections and the county officials who count the votes. The secretary of state has less.

TOM KRATTENMAKER | OPINION COLUMNIST | 2 hours ago

What if Georgia election officials had somehow found those nonexistent votes that then-President Donald Trump pressured them to “find” to overturn his narrow loss in the Peach State? What if there hadn’t been a secretary of state with not only the spine but the authority to make sure the election was immune from partisan cheating?

It would have been a devastating loss for democracy, that’s what. And it would have been much easier to pull off had Georgia’s brand-new election law been in place.

Thanks to a somewhat overlooked provision in Georgia’s new restrictive voting law and similar measures being pushed in more than a half-dozen other GOP-controlled legislatures, the skids are becoming better greased for Trump-style election tampering in the future. These attempts to subvert the will of voters must be stopped.

What is behind the law

Tucked inside the new Georgia elections law is a measure that shifts a significant amount of election oversight power from the secretary of state and county election boards to the legislature. The measure removes the elected secretary of state as chair of the state election board and replaces him or her with an appointee of the Republican-run legislature.

Such a coincidence! Just a few months after Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger says “no” to magical vote-finding, the legislature takes a chunk of power and authority from his office and shifts it to someone of their choosing — and, we can only assume, more likely to do their bidding.

Voting booths on Oct. 22, 2018, in Tampa, Florida.

JOE RAEDLE/GETTY IMAGES

The law doesn’t just change who picks the chair. Now, the majority of the board’s members will be legislative appointees, and the board gains ominous new power: the ability to remove and replace election officials administering the vote at the level where the real elections work happens — the county level.

Let’s say the state board does not like the way vote-counting is going in heavily Democratic Fulton County. Under the new law, the board can fire those in charge and plop in a new boss more to its liking.

“After the November election last year,” Gov. Brian Kemp said as he signed the bill into law, “I knew … that significant reforms to our state elections were needed.”

Given that no one has produced evidence of large-scale cheating, fraud, counting dead people’s votes, or losing living people’s votes, I think we know what Kemp sees as needing “reform”: Democrat Joe Biden's victory in previously red Georgia.

“Republicans are brazenly trying to seize local and state election authority in an unprecedented power grab,” says voting rights leader Stacey Abrams, former Democratic leader in the Georgia State House. The new law, she says, is “intended to alter election outcomes and remove state and county election officials who refuse to put party above the people … Had their grand plan been law in 2020, the numerous attempts by state legislatures to overturn the will of the voters would have succeeded.”

Abrams is one of many calling the new Georgia law unconstitutional, and three voting-rights groups have filed a lawsuit. Not to play judge, but bear in mind that the Constitution forbids states from placing undue burdens on citizens’ right to vote. It stands to reason that includes the burden imposed by politicians’ power-grabbing authority over election administration.

Stacey Abrams: Don't boycott corporations over voting rights yet. First press them to speak up.

Arizona — which like Georgia dealt Trump a narrow defeat — is also weighing legislation that would make election oversight more prone to partisan manipulation; one measure introduced there would give the GOP-led legislature authority over the state elections manual, which now rests in the hands of the governor, attorney general and secretary of state.

Overall, as the New York Times reports, GOP legislators in at least eight states are pushing bills that would take election oversight power away from secretaries of state, governors and nonpartisan election boards, and turn it over to legislatures.

Restoring confidence in elections?

Republican lawmakers must be savoring the prospect, as foxes generally do when they’re about to take over guard duty at the henhouse.

Party leaders will tell you that moves like these are necessary to restore public confidence in elections. Quite a trick, that. The only reason confidence needs restoring is that Trump and his party destroyed it by pushing the big lie that that November’s election was rigged and stolen. As attested by judge after judge and election official after election official, Republican appointees as well as Democrat, there is no evidence of cheating or fraud at anything approaching the scale that would change the outcome of the Nov. 6 vote."

Are cha ges in election rules just about voter ID?

"Trump might have 'found' the votes he needed to win Georgia under state's new election law

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2021/04/03/georgia-voting-law-boosts-republican-control-of-elections-column/4840793001/

"Tucked inside the new Georgia elections law is a measure that shifts a significant amount of election oversight power from the secretary of state and county election boards to the legislature. The measure removes the elected secretary of state as chair of the state election board and replaces him or her with an appointee of the Republican-run legislature.

Just a few months after Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger says “no” to magical vote-finding, the legislature takes a chunk of power and authority from his office and shifts it to someone of their choosing

up next

OPINION

Republican legislators now have more oversight and power over elections and the county officials who count the votes. The secretary of state has less.

What if Georgia election officials had somehow found those nonexistent votes that then-President Donald Trump pressured them to “find” to overturn his narrow loss in the Peach State? What if there hadn’t been a secretary of state with not only the spine but the authority to make sure the election was immune from partisan cheating?

It would have been a devastating loss for democracy, that’s what. And it would have been much easier to pull off had Georgia’s brand-new election law been in place.

Thanks to a somewhat overlooked provision in Georgia’s new restrictive voting law and similar measures being pushed in more than a half-dozen other GOP-controlled legislatures, the skids are becoming better greased for Trump-style election tampering in the future. These attempts to subvert the will of voters must be stopped.

What is behind the law

Tucked inside the new Georgia elections law is a measure that shifts a significant amount of election oversight power from the secretary of state and county election boards to the legislature. The measure removes the elected secretary of state as chair of the state election board and replaces him or her with an appointee of the Republican-run legislature.

Such a coincidence! Just a few months after Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger says “no” to magical vote-finding, the legislature takes a chunk of power and authority from his office and shifts it to someone of their choosing — and, we can only assume, more likely to do their bidding.

JOE RAEDLE/GETTY IMAGES

The law doesn’t just change who picks the chair. Now, the majority of the board’s members will be legislative appointees, and the board gains ominous new power: the ability to remove and replace election officials administering the vote at the level where the real elections work happens — the county level.

“After the November election last year,” Gov. Brian Kemp said as he signed the bill into law, “I knew … that significant reforms to our state elections were needed.”

Given that no one has produced evidence of large-scale cheating, fraud, counting dead people’s votes, or losing living people’s votes, I think we know what Kemp sees as needing “reform”: Democrat Joe Biden's victory in previously red Georgia.

“Republicans are brazenly trying to seize local and state election authority in an unprecedented power grab,” says voting rights leader Stacey Abrams, former Democratic leader in the Georgia State House. The new law, she says, is “intended to alter election outcomes and remove state and county election officials who refuse to put party above the people … Had their grand plan been law in 2020, the numerous attempts by state legislatures to overturn the will of the voters would have succeeded.”

Abrams is one of many calling the new Georgia law unconstitutional, and three voting-rights groups have filed a lawsuit. Not to play judge, but bear in mind that the Constitution forbids states from placing undue burdens on citizens’ right to vote. It stands to reason that includes the burden imposed by politicians’ power-grabbing authority over election administration.

Stacey Abrams: Don't boycott corporations over voting rights yet. First press them to speak up.

Overall, as the New York Times reports, GOP legislators in at least eight states are pushing bills that would take election oversight power away from secretaries of state, governors and nonpartisan election boards, and turn it over to legislatures.

Republican lawmakers must be savoring the prospect, as foxes generally do when they’re about to take over guard duty at the henhouse.

Party leaders will tell you that moves like these are necessary to restore public confidence in elections. Quite a trick, that. The only reason confidence needs restoring is that Trump and his party destroyed it by pushing the big lie that that November’s election was rigged and stolen. As attested by judge after judge and election official after election official, Republican appointees as well as Democrat, there is no evidence of cheating or fraud at anything approaching the scale that would change the outcome of the Nov. 6 vote."

Are cha ges in election rules just about voter ID? "

So if the state legislature turns Democrats. I have no issue with applying the same laws. I hope georgia does.

West London

Analysis: Partisan gerrymandering has benefited Republicans more than Democrats

https://www.businessinsider.com/partisan-gerrymandering-has-benefited-republicans-more-than-democrats-2017-6

"The analysis found four times as many states with Republican-skewed state House or Assembly districts than Democratic ones. Among the two dozen most populated states that determine the vast majority of Congress, there were nearly three times as many with Republican-tilted U.S. House districts.

Traditional battlegrounds such as Michigan, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Florida and Virginia were among those with significant Republican advantages in their U.S. or state House races. All had districts drawn by Republicans after the last Census in 2010."

"Analysis: Partisan gerrymandering has benefited Republicans more than Democrats

https://www.businessinsider.com/partisan-gerrymandering-has-benefited-republicans-more-than-democrats-2017-6

"The analysis found four times as many states with Republican-skewed state House or Assembly districts than Democratic ones. Among the two dozen most populated states that determine the vast majority of Congress, there were nearly three times as many with Republican-tilted U.S. House districts.

Traditional battlegrounds such as Michigan, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Florida and Virginia were among those with significant Republican advantages in their U.S. or state House races. All had districts drawn by Republicans after the last Census in 2010.""

Isn't that why we have parties pick one .It not rocket science you base your vote on what your own ideological and what is best for you. Those people in those states made those choices. Just because some states are heavy republican means it's their choices. Joe manchin is a democrat from a heavy republican state. It's about the person the constituents wants in there representing the overall wishes.

Chudleigh

"Trump might have 'found' the votes he needed to win Georgia under state's new election law

up next

OPINION

What is behind the law

JOE RAEDLE/GETTY IMAGES

So if the state legislature turns Democrats. I have no issue with applying the same laws. I hope georgia does."

Surely having rules that deny politicians the right to ‘play’ with votes is the right way forward? It should not matter which Party controls the state - to your earlier point, is this not State Dictatorship if the Party in control can make up the rules?

up next

OPINION

What is behind the law

JOE RAEDLE/GETTY IMAGES

So if the state legislature turns Democrats. I have no issue with applying the same laws. I hope georgia does.

Surely having rules that deny politicians the right to ‘play’ with votes is the right way forward? It should not matter which Party controls the state - to your earlier point, is this not State Dictatorship if the Party in control can make up the rules? "

Where they put in legislature by voting in the first place. Is it not the majority that voted them in.If it's wrong can they be voted out? Guess we see what the constituents want next election. Personally vote no matter what. You want change there is no excuse not to.

West London

'state and federal judges - some appointed by Trump - dismissed more than 50 lawsuits brought by Trump or his allies alleging election fraud and other irregularities.

Independent experts, governors and state election officials from both parties say there was no evidence of widespread fraud.

According to the Washington Post here , instead of alleging “widespread fraud or election-changing conspiracy” the lawsuits pushed by Trump’s team and allies focused on smaller complaints, which were largely dismissed by judges due to a lack of evidence. “The Republicans did not provide evidence to back up their assertions — just speculation, rumors or hearsay.”'

Is this untrue?

Why do election rules need to change if no evidence of wrongdoing was even presented?

"https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-factcheck-courts-election-idUSKBN2AF1G1

'state and federal judges - some appointed by Trump - dismissed more than 50 lawsuits brought by Trump or his allies alleging election fraud and other irregularities.

Independent experts, governors and state election officials from both parties say there was no evidence of widespread fraud.

According to the Washington Post here , instead of alleging “widespread fraud or election-changing conspiracy” the lawsuits pushed by Trump’s team and allies focused on smaller complaints, which were largely dismissed by judges due to a lack of evidence. “The Republicans did not provide evidence to back up their assertions — just speculation, rumors or hearsay.”'

Is this untrue?

Why do election rules need to change if no evidence of wrongdoing was even presented? "

I and my husband were had multiple deployments voting from combat zones according to rules set in place by our state legislature. How is it a issue to vote. When we are voting absentee in the middle of a warzone. If my state changed the rules I would still follow those guidelines required no matter if it was DNC or GOP that set those laws into effect.

West London

“The Republicans did not provide evidence to back up their assertions — just speculation, rumors or hearsay.”

Why do voting rules need to be changed?

Newcastle and Gateshead

"So if the state legislature turns Democrats. I have no issue with applying the same laws. I hope georgia does."

because of the way the district lines have been gerrymandered by the republicans there is zero chance that either the Georgia house or senate would ever go blue! ... the only real chance that democrats have is statewide elections where the governor has the power of veto

Remember this is not the first state to do this! Your very own PA had to redraw congressional district lines after SCOTUS declared republicans efforts to do it so blatantly biased it was unconstitutional!

SCOTUS has also struck down republicans voting rights bills in North Carolina and Texas because again it was deemed to be unconstitutional because the bills were deliberately designed to stop black people from voting

That is why a national voting rights act is needed because it sets minimum standards for federal elections

Newcastle and Gateshead

"https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-factcheck-courts-election-idUSKBN2AF1G1

Is this untrue?

Why do election rules need to change if no evidence of wrongdoing was even presented?

I and my husband were had multiple deployments voting from combat zones according to rules set in place by our state legislature. How is it a issue to vote. When we are voting absentee in the middle of a warzone. If my state changed the rules I would still follow those guidelines required no matter if it was DNC or GOP that set those laws into effect."

So let’s use your state, Pennsylvania, as an example.....

The rules for “no excuse” voting by mailing were changed in April 2020 where COVID was added to the valid no excuse list....

Republicans at that time did not argue against the change made by the PA sec of state, who is the main overseer of the election.... no complaints were made, no legal actions were made!

It was only after the election in Nov 2020 that the arguments started.... it’s not like people didn’t ave 7 whole months to make a complaint

» Add a new message to this topic