FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > UK fastest growing economy

UK fastest growing economy

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *uliaChris OP   Couple  over a year ago

westerham

“The UK will be the fastest growing advanced economy in 2022, the fund (IMF) said, as it upgraded its growth forecasts after millions of people were jabbed to protect them against Covid-19”

Isn’t that fantastic. Can we all agree that’s marvellous news, no one could possibly criticise that. Could they?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

"“The UK will be the fastest growing advanced economy in 2022, the fund (IMF) said, as it upgraded its growth forecasts after millions of people were jabbed to protect them against Covid-19”

Isn’t that fantastic. Can we all agree that’s marvellous news, no one could possibly criticise that. Could they?"

It would be fantastic if it were true, but that is not what I read. Perhaps you should broaden your news search so that you read actual news, rather than a spin on news.

The accurate quote is below:

“ The new UK forecast is for growth of 5.3% this year and 5.1% in 2022. Both figures are upgrades, though the latter is only marginally higher than the January forecast.

The recovery follows last year's pandemic driven contraction of 9.9% which was the deepest of any of the G7 major developed economies.

'Fairly modest'

Bringing in the two predicted recovery years, the UK's performance over 2020 to 2022 would be ahead of one of the G7 countries, Italy.

The new global forecasts are growth of 6% and 4.4% this year and next. Both are upgrades, a fairly modest one for 2022.“

So our recovery is actually better than only 1 of the other G7 nations. It is not the best of all the “advanced nations.”

westerham

"“The UK will be the fastest growing advanced economy in 2022, the fund (IMF) said, as it upgraded its growth forecasts after millions of people were jabbed to protect them against Covid-19”

Isn’t that fantastic. Can we all agree that’s marvellous news, no one could possibly criticise that. Could they?

It would be fantastic if it were true, but that is not what I read. Perhaps you should broaden your news search so that you read actual news, rather than a spin on news.

“ The new UK forecast is for growth of 5.3% this year and 5.1% in 2022. Both figures are upgrades, though the latter is only marginally higher than the January forecast.

The recovery follows last year's pandemic driven contraction of 9.9% which was the deepest of any of the G7 major developed economies.

'Fairly modest'

Bringing in the two predicted recovery years, the UK's performance over 2020 to 2022 would be ahead of one of the G7 countries, Italy.

The new global forecasts are growth of 6% and 4.4% this year and next. Both are upgrades, a fairly modest one for 2022.“

So our recovery is actually better than only 1 of the other G7 nations. It is not the best of all the “advanced nations.”"

I'm not sure which part of "2022" was hardest to understand. My quote was entirely accurate.

You've just picked an arbitrary time period which I can't be bothered to fact check to suit your doing down of the country which is mildly childish tbh.

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

some just come on here to argue good news or not.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Part of the problem here is that the UK has so far had the slowest recovery of the advanced nations and the deepest recession - in comparison to its peers - so we certainly should hope for a good 2022, but the big picture isn't anything like as rosey as the headline makes out. And, as someone has already pointed out, it's only a slight upgrade.

There's also the 'slow puncture' produced by Brexit to consider. When the 'hiccups', become start to bed in over the next few years and the effects become a lot clearer.

North West

'Fairly modest'

So our recovery is actually better than only 1 of the other G7 nations. It is not the best of all the “advanced nations.”

I'm not sure which part of "2022" was hardest to understand. My quote was entirely accurate.

You've just picked an arbitrary time period which I can't be bothered to fact check to suit your doing down of the country which is mildly childish tbh. "

I know that you like to think that you are an expert on all manner of stuff, but seemingly context is not one of them?

Imagine two scenarios...

Country A - it manages its economic and medical response to the Coronavirus pandemic really well and has barely lost any of its output throughout the crisis. It’s growth continues on a steady upwards path.

Country B - it manages its economic and medical response to the Coronavirus pandemic disastrously and has one of the largest losses in GDP of all “advanced nations.” Once the crisis is over, its bounce back wouldn’t be linear like Country A, because it had a deeper loss.

The IMF forecast is about nations getting back to pre-pandemic levels. Greater loss = Greater bounce back.

Notwithstanding, yes it is a good forecast and will get us back to 2019 levels in 2022 as long as Boris & Chums govern prudently this year and next. The forecast relies on competent Governance.

westerham

"There's also the 'slow puncture' produced by Brexit to consider. When the 'hiccups', become start to bed in over the next few years and the effects become a lot clearer. "

Not according to the IMF

"There's also the 'slow puncture' produced by Brexit to consider. When the 'hiccups', become start to bed in over the next few years and the effects become a lot clearer.

Not according to the IMF"

Well, the puncture is already in motion. But the notion of slow is that it takes place over considerable time - not 9-10 months, as per the IMF (not particularly rosey) prediction re the UK's post-pandemic recovery.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

Isn’t that fantastic. Can we all agree that’s marvellous news, no one could possibly criticise that. Could they?"

By *loughing the landMan  over a year ago

Cambridge

. Hi. Great news for everyone. However I hope you will not be offended if I use other statistics to back up your statement. The UK stock market performance in January was the best for 20 years and it is continuing to rise. This must be great news for pensioners and younger people who are investing in pension funds for their future. Not only that the various legacies left to charities will also have increased in value meaning more resources to help the poor and needy.

The uncertainty caused by those who chose to obstruct Brexit did a lot of damage to the UK economy. With these issues now resolved it is onwards and upwards for the UK economy .

A lot of fund managers now expect UK growth to exceed that Europe and we are in the catch up stage.

Good news for everyone. HMRC will also receive some revenue should any investor decide to crystallise their gains.

"

Notwithstanding, yes it is a good forecast and will get us back to 2019 levels in 2022 as long as Boris & Chums govern prudently this year and next. The forecast relies on competent Governance."

And therein lies the rub, as they say.

I thought the IMF and prediction & forecasts were not classed as credible, you have changed your tune Chris

"

A lot of fund managers now expect UK growth to exceed that Europe and we are in the catch up stage.

"

Yes, for the reasons explained above.

And, as an investor, I can tell you with certainty the FTSE100 has lagged way behind its peers in recent times. The Jan stats you refer to are merely a symptom of lag.

Cambridge

"

Yes, for the reasons explained above.

And, as an investor, I can tell you with certainty the FTSE100 has lagged way behind its peers in recent times. The Jan stats you refer to are merely a symptom of lag. "

. I thought that the January statistic was a reflection on the fact we now had certainly on our future now that we have left the EU. The good performance e has continued throughout February and March. The FTSE 350 is probably a better indication of performance as it will include smaller growing listed companies

North West

[Removed by poster at 07/04/21 12:39:59]

North West

Isn’t that fantastic. Can we all agree that’s marvellous news, no one could possibly criticise that. Could they?. Hi. Great news for everyone. However I hope you will not be offended if I use other statistics to back up your statement. The UK stock market performance in January was the best for 20 years and it is continuing to rise. This must be great news for pensioners and younger people who are investing in pension funds for their future. Not only that the various legacies left to charities will also have increased in value meaning more resources to help the poor and needy.

The uncertainty caused by those who chose to obstruct Brexit did a lot of damage to the UK economy. With these issues now resolved it is onwards and upwards for the UK economy .

Good news for everyone. HMRC will also receive some revenue should any investor decide to crystallise their gains. "

On December 31st 2020 the FTSE 100 Index stood at 6,460.52.

On January 29th 2021 (the last trading day of January), it stood at 6,407.46

That is a net loss on the month of 53.06 over the month of January.

Is this what you describe as "The UK stock market performance in January was the best for 20 years and it is continuing to rise."

Or did you just make it up because facts don't really matter?

Cambridge

Isn’t that fantastic. Can we all agree that’s marvellous news, no one could possibly criticise that. Could they?. Hi. Great news for everyone. However I hope you will not be offended if I use other statistics to back up your statement. The UK stock market performance in January was the best for 20 years and it is continuing to rise. This must be great news for pensioners and younger people who are investing in pension funds for their future. Not only that the various legacies left to charities will also have increased in value meaning more resources to help the poor and needy.

Good news for everyone. HMRC will also receive some revenue should any investor decide to crystallise their gains.

Is this what you describe as "The UK stock market performance in January was the best for 20 years and it is continuing to rise."

Or did you just make it up because facts don't really matter?"

You are referring to the FTSE 100 which is only part of the stock market . My reference was to all the constituents including the FTSE 350 and AIM .

Currently most fund managers are optimistic of the future prospects for UK companies . Hopefully this note fro m todays Evening Standard clarifies matters .

Optimism around the imminent re-opening of pubs and shops in the UK has fired up the “re-opening” trade, with shopping centre landlord Hammerson, cruise ship company Carnival and bus operator FirstGroup among the FTSE 250 stocks 4% or more higher today.

IG market analyst Joshua Mahony said: “Markets are increasingly confident that the UK vaccination effort will help enable a substantial economic recovery in the coming months.” The domestic-focused FTSE 250 — home to companies including Royal Mail, easyJet and ITV — surged as high as 22,177.49 as the benchmark exceeded the previous peak set in the aftermath of Boris Johnson’s December 2019 General Election victory.

North West

You are referring to the FTSE 100 which is only part of the stock market . My reference was to all the constituents including the FTSE 350 and AIM .

Currently most fund managers are optimistic of the future prospects for UK companies . Hopefully this note fro m todays Evening Standard clarifies matters .

Optimism around the imminent re-opening of pubs and shops in the UK has fired up the “re-opening” trade, with shopping centre landlord Hammerson, cruise ship company Carnival and bus operator FirstGroup among the FTSE 250 stocks 4% or more higher today.

IG market analyst Joshua Mahony said: “Markets are increasingly confident that the UK vaccination effort will help enable a substantial economic recovery in the coming months.” The domestic-focused FTSE 250 — home to companies including Royal Mail, easyJet and ITV — surged as high as 22,177.49 as the benchmark exceeded the previous peak set in the aftermath of Boris Johnson’s December 2019 General Election victory.

"

You don’t seem to understand that recovering from a massive downturn will result in unexpectedly high growth figures simply by returning to normality.

Aside from that I can’t be arsed fact checking you again today.

It might help your credibility if you at least occasionally offered to sail against the wind from time to time. Sometimes allowing facts to tell the truth is better than trying to put an ideological spin on them.

North West

"

I changed my mind lol

FTSE 350

December 31st 2020 - 3697.4

January 29th 2021 - 3664.4

A monthly loss in January of 33 points

Is this further proof of "The UK stock market performance in January was the best for 20 years and it is continuing to rise."

Or did you just make this up too because facts don't really matter?

RECAP

FTSE 100 down in January by 53 points

FTSE 350 down in January by 33 points

Cambridge

You don’t seem to understand that recovering from a massive downturn will result in unexpectedly high growth figures simply by returning to normality.

It might help your credibility if you at least occasionally offered to sail against the wind from time to time. Sometimes allowing facts to tell the truth is better than trying to put an ideological spin on them."

However to do an accurate fact check for the point which you were trying to make , you would need to analyse the index performance for the last twenty years and perform a ranking exercise ( not withstanding the fact that you selected the FTSE 100 and I was comparing the performance of all shares including AIM ) . It is a bit like comparing apples with pears .

We both have access to all the facts and data as everything is publicly available and on record . It appears that we simply choose to analyse them in different ways .

Ultimately what matters i not the facts , but how this performance crystallises into a cash flow whether by capital growth or payment of dividends . Individual investors can then decide how they wish to spend the proceeds . This may be on their childrens education , pensions , donations to charity or goods and services .

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

I changed my mind lol

FTSE 350

Is this further proof of "The UK stock market performance in January was the best for 20 years and it is continuing to rise."

RECAP

FTSE 350 down in January by 33 points"

But pat's quoting 'most fund managers'..

Maybe his sources are bunkum..

North West

It might help your credibility if you at least occasionally offered to sail against the wind from time to time. Sometimes allowing facts to tell the truth is better than trying to put an ideological spin on them.

However to do an accurate fact check for the point which you were trying to make , you would need to analyse the index performance for the last twenty years and perform a ranking exercise ( not withstanding the fact that you selected the FTSE 100 and I was comparing the performance of all shares including AIM ) . It is a bit like comparing apples with pears .

We both have access to all the facts and data as everything is publicly available and on record . It appears that we simply choose to analyse them in different ways .

Ultimately what matters i not the facts , but how this performance crystallises into a cash flow whether by capital growth or payment of dividends . Individual investors can then decide how they wish to spend the proceeds . This may be on their childrens education , pensions , donations to charity or goods and services . "

Uhmmm. Just hold on there.

You made an assertive statement that January was a record month on the U.K. stock market.

I pulled out the closing figures on the last trading day of December 2020 and the closing figures on the last trading day of January 2021 - thereby covering all activity in the month of January.

The FTSE 100 and FTSE 350 both showed an overall loss on the month.

That is not an opinion - it is a fact.

Your opinion was not fact based - my guess is that you have read something that reverberates in your echo chamber and decided to share it without checking the facts.

Cambridge

I changed my mind lol

FTSE 350

RECAP

Maybe his sources are bunkum.."

. I do not think anyone is disputing the drops referred to . To make an accurate assessment of the performance over the past twenty years you would have to analyse the movements for each year and undertake a ranking exercise of performance. An index dropping in January is not necessary an indication of poor performance if it fell by greater amounts in other years .

I changed my mind lol

FTSE 350

RECAP

Maybe his sources are bunkum... I do not think anyone is disputing the drops referred to . To make an accurate assessment of the performance over the past twenty years you would have to analyse the movements for each year and undertake a ranking exercise of performance. An index dropping in January is not necessary an indication of poor performance if it fell by greater amounts in other years . "

Cambridge

Ultimately what matters i not the facts , but how this performance crystallises into a cash flow whether by capital growth or payment of dividends . Individual investors can then decide how they wish to spend the proceeds . This may be on their childrens education , pensions , donations to charity or goods and services .

You made an assertive statement that January was a record month on the U.K. stock market.

I pulled out the closing figures on the last trading day of December 2020 and the closing figures on the last trading day of January 2021 - thereby covering all activity in the month of January.

Your opinion was not fact based - my guess is that you have read something that reverberates in your echo chamber and decided to share it without checking the facts."

My original post referred to the best performance for twenty years . ( not one year on which you appear to be basing your calculations ) The movement in one month ( January ) would need to be compared against the movements of the previous twenty years before a conclusion could be drawn . Your calculation appears to take one year in isolation ( ignoring the previous twenty years to which I was referring )but in addition you have only included certain elements of what comprises the various constituents of the stock market .

If a fund manager has a good track record I am happy to accept their opinion and do not necessary need all the facts to back up their opinions

Your opinion was not fact based - my guess is that you have read something that reverberates in your echo chamber and decided to share it without checking the facts. My original post referred to the best performance for twenty years . ( not one year on which you appear to be basing your calculations ) The movement in one month ( January ) would need to be compared against the movements of the previous twenty years before a conclusion could be drawn . Your calculation appears to take one year in isolation ( ignoring the previous twenty years to which I was referring )but in addition you have only included certain elements of what comprises the various constituents of the stock market .

If a fund manager has a good track record I am happy to accept their opinion and do not necessary need all the facts to back up their opinions "

Do you want to buy some magic beans?

North West

Your opinion was not fact based - my guess is that you have read something that reverberates in your echo chamber and decided to share it without checking the facts. My original post referred to the best performance for twenty years . ( not one year on which you appear to be basing your calculations ) The movement in one month ( January ) would need to be compared against the movements of the previous twenty years before a conclusion could be drawn . Your calculation appears to take one year in isolation ( ignoring the previous twenty years to which I was referring )but in addition you have only included certain elements of what comprises the various constituents of the stock market .

If a fund manager has a good track record I am happy to accept their opinion and do not necessary need all the facts to back up their opinions "

So to be clear - you are now saying that the losses experienced by the FTSE 100 and the FTSE 350 in January this year are the smallest losses in any January for 20 years? And on that logic you are entitled to state that..

“The UK stock market performance in January was the best for 20 years and it is continuing to rise."

Meaning that a small loss by comparison to 20 years of bigger losses is “a rise.”??

Wow - that is some kind of blue sky thinking - but you know what I am going to do tomorrow don’t you? I am going to check FTSE performance in January for the last few years.

Be assured that I will post my findings here tomorrow.

North West

If a fund manager has a good track record I am happy to accept their opinion and do not necessary need all the facts to back up their opinions

Do you want to buy some magic beans? "

What happens soon is that this persons profile will disappear in embarrassment at being called out for making false claims and a new profile will appear in a week or two.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

Do you want to buy some magic beans? "

He probably does, he has before..

Cambridge

So to be clear - you are now saying that the losses experienced by the FTSE 100 and the FTSE 350 in January this year are the smallest losses in any January for 20 years? And on that logic you are entitled to state that..

“The UK stock market performance in January was the best for 20 years and it is continuing to rise."

Meaning that a small loss by comparison to 20 years of bigger losses is “a rise.”??

Wow - that is some kind of blue sky thinking - but you know what I am going to do tomorrow don’t you? I am going to check FTSE performance in January for the last few years.

Be assured that I will post my findings here tomorrow."

. I await your analysis with interest and your interpretation of the results . Your initially claimed that I simply made the statement up , but now appear to saying that I relied on a statement from a fund manager without checking the facts .

In light of your comments I have recorded the FTSE index as at Dec 31 and Jan 31 ( or closest day where it is necessary to take into account weekends ) , calculated the movement for the month concerned and then ranked the result .

The drop in Jan 21 is the lowest of the drops for any of the years in the five year period . In the circumstances I believe that the statement made by the fund manager concerned is correct . Should I have any spare time I will do the previous 15 years to morrow . Hopefully this may alleviate some of your concerns . I am quit happy to post the calculations on this forum should that be considered necessary . I obtained the source data from the LSE

Cambridge

Be assured that I will post my findings here tomorrow."

As you have yet to post your findings I have inserted the indices for the past twenty years . Most people would be very pleased at the recent performance of the FTSE which benefits pensioners , charities , churches and anyone currently contributing to a pension . The merchants of doom and gloom have again proved to be wrong .

If you want to be pedantic the fund manager concerned should have stated that the performance in January was remarkable considering the impact of Covid 19 . ( as opposed to stating the best performance for twenty years ) . Should you wish to rank the performance it was the seventh best out of the twenty years concerned .

I would think that most people would be interested in the absolute value of their fund over time and its performance ( as opposed to the words used by a fund manager to describe it ).

In any event the FTSE 250 reached an all time high yesterday

Dec Jan

2020 3674 3641 33 -0.9%

2019 4196 4057 139 -3.3%

2018 3675 3825 150 4.1%

2017 4221 4137 84 -2.0%

2016 3873 3858 15 -0.4%

2015 3444 3335 109 -3.2%

2014 3532 3621 89 2.5%

2013 3609 3496 113 -3.1%

2012 3093 3287 194 6.3%

2011 2858 2932 74 2.6%

2010 3062 3044 18 -0.6%

2009 2761 2660 101 -3.7%

2008 2209 2078 131 -5.9%

2007 3287 3000 287 -8.7%

2006 3221 3211 10 -0.3%

2005 2847 2928 81 2.8%

2004 2411 2441 30 1.2%

2003 2207 2187 20 -0.9%

2002 1894 1722 172 -9.1%

westerham

Sad that some insurrectional forces are only interested in talking the country down

North West

As you have yet to post your findings I have inserted the indices for the past twenty years . Most people would be very pleased at the recent performance of the FTSE which benefits pensioners , charities , churches and anyone currently contributing to a pension . The merchants of doom and gloom have again proved to be wrong .

If you want to be pedantic the fund manager concerned should have stated that the performance in January was remarkable considering the impact of Covid 19 . ( as opposed to stating the best performance for twenty years ) . Should you wish to rank the performance it was the seventh best out of the twenty years concerned .

I would think that most people would be interested in the absolute value of their fund over time and its performance ( as opposed to the words used by a fund manager to describe it ).

Dec Jan

2020 3674 3641 33 -0.9%

2019 4196 4057 139 -3.3%

2018 3675 3825 150 4.1%

2017 4221 4137 84 -2.0%

2016 3873 3858 15 -0.4%

2015 3444 3335 109 -3.2%

2014 3532 3621 89 2.5%

2013 3609 3496 113 -3.1%

2012 3093 3287 194 6.3%

2011 2858 2932 74 2.6%

2010 3062 3044 18 -0.6%

2009 2761 2660 101 -3.7%

2008 2209 2078 131 -5.9%

2007 3287 3000 287 -8.7%

2006 3221 3211 10 -0.3%

2005 2847 2928 81 2.8%

2004 2411 2441 30 1.2%

2003 2207 2187 20 -0.9%

2002 1894 1722 172 -9.1%

"

Thank you for proving that your own assertive statement that...” The UK stock market performance in January was the best for 20 years and it is continuing to rise” was a complete and utter fabrication.

You are a legend

North West

"Sad that some insurrectional forces are only interested in talking the country down "

So when someone says that January this year saw the best performance of the stock market on 20 years, and this is in fact a complete fabrication - is it talking the country down by correcting the wholly false statement?

Did you ever watch the original B/W Titanic movie from the 1950’s?

“All is well, all is well” - and the band played on.

It is not talking the country down to employ a bit of a multi-dimensional thought process when examining cause and effect.

The issue is that by any economic or personal measure, fundamentally and logically, Brexit will lower the performance trajectory of this country by the nature of what it is and by the nature of global commerce and global economics.

There may be wins and there may be losses that are newsworthy - but it is not macro successes or failures that are important. Similarly a surging stock market (if it does), is not necessarily a reflection on the wellbeing of ordinary people. Notwithstanding there is no point in making stuff up that is fundamentally untrue - especially if (as the poster did) the evidence the poster subsequently posted proves himself to be wrong.

Cambridge

Dec Jan

2020 3674 3641 33 -0.9%

2019 4196 4057 139 -3.3%

2018 3675 3825 150 4.1%

2017 4221 4137 84 -2.0%

2016 3873 3858 15 -0.4%

2015 3444 3335 109 -3.2%

2014 3532 3621 89 2.5%

2013 3609 3496 113 -3.1%

2012 3093 3287 194 6.3%

2011 2858 2932 74 2.6%

2010 3062 3044 18 -0.6%

2009 2761 2660 101 -3.7%

2008 2209 2078 131 -5.9%

2007 3287 3000 287 -8.7%

2006 3221 3211 10 -0.3%

2005 2847 2928 81 2.8%

2004 2411 2441 30 1.2%

2003 2207 2187 20 -0.9%

2002 1894 1722 172 -9.1%

Thank you for proving that your own assertive statement that...” The UK stock market performance in January was the best for 20 years and it is continuing to rise” was a complete and u tter fabrication.

You are a legend "

. You are the only poster who suggested that it was a complete and utter fabrication. It was a quote from a fund manager which I was personally quite happy to accept based on their experience and past performan d . With the FTSE 250 hitting an all time high yesterday I would be surprised if many posters had too many complaints about its accuracy. ( the substantial rise will have benefitted charities , pensioners , those saving into pensions and HMRC should any investor wish to cash in their gains and have to pay capital gains tax. )

From memory the table supplied illustrates that when ranked the performance was the seventh best in 20 years. This is a remarkable achievement considering we were battling against issues created by both Brexit and Covid 19. Were we to make a seasonal/ economic adjustment for both of these factors it would be easy to justify the performance being the best in twenty years .

If it makes you feel happier, maybe the fund manqger concerned should have stated that the performance of the FTSE was the seventh best in twenty years for the month of January, but after adjustng for the impact of Covid 19 and Brexit it was easily the best for twenty years .

In any event , I cannot see too many people crying at the statement of the fund manager. With the FTSE 250 at an all time high most people will simply accept that it is good news for the UK. ( unless there is evidence that it is about to collapse).

Both Lookers PlC and ASOS announced very good results yesterday and this also had a knock on effect on Pendragon

It is possible that this good news will annoy some of the merchants of doom and gloom .

» Add a new message to this topic