FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > No tax rises necessary to pay for the Panademic

No tax rises necessary to pay for the Panademic

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *loughing the land OP   Man  over a year ago

Cambridge

It is probably best to forget the past and look to the future. What Dominic Cummings says now is completely irrelevant.

Borrowings are now lower than that predicted by the Office of Budget Responsibility just two months ago.

The OBR estimates for economic growth look too pessimistic and is now expected to be 7 % ( not the 4 % as predicted). It looks like tax rises will not now be necessary.

Julian Jessop , an economist at the Institute of Economic Affairs think tank said . -( Treasury officials can stop casting around for more ways to increase the tax burden and should actually be looking for ways to cut it )

This has to be great news for every tax payer and ordinary working people . Lots of new jobs , an award winning vaccination programme and the FTSE 250 at an all time high.

In addition to the above many people have saved a lot of money during Covid 19 . They will be eager to go out an spend it .

This is very disappointing news for the merchants of doom and gloom but we have to face reality.

The only cloud on the horizon is inflation. It is already impacting the construction trade along with supply issues . I never thought that you would see bags of cement being rationed

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ockdownerMan  over a year ago

Preston

"It is probably best to forget the past and look to the future. What Dominic Cummings says now is completely irrelevant.

"

Judge: You stand charged of murder, how do you plead?

Axe wielding maniac: It's probably best to forget the past and look to the future so what you say now is completely irrelevant

Yes, that's how the world works

Cambridge

"It is probably best to forget the past and look to the future. What Dominic Cummings says now is completely irrelevant.

Judge: You stand charged of murder, how do you plead?

Axe wielding maniac: It's probably best to forget the past and look to the future so what you say now is completely irrelevant

Yes, that's how the world works "

. However it is hardly a like for like comparison. The maniac has killed someone. The government are acting in the best interests of the electorate. It is inevitable that people will die during a panademic. The problem was not unique to the UK , people died all over the world.

We should all be very greatfull to the government as to how they managed this crisis. People were offered substantial financial help and we have an award winning vaccination programme.

Everyone makes mistakes in how they handle things . We can do nothing about past events.

At least the recent elections were an endorsement of public opinion on how the virus was handled.

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

This country has killed 1000s of people.

If that's acting in our best interests, thank god we dont have someone really bad

Cambridge

"This country has killed 1000s of people.

If that's acting in our best interests, thank god we dont have someone really bad

. "

. Hello. Do we have a list of people that the government killed ? How did they kill them?

By *sussexyMan  over a year ago

Lewes

Do you really need to be told? Let's start with discharging Covid +ve patients into care homes shall we?

liverpool

10,000s of people didnt who didnt need to die.

Dominic Cummings

By *obka3Couple  over a year ago

bournemouth

"Do you really need to be told? Let's start with discharging Covid +ve patients into care homes shall we?"

So where were they going to go ?

Hospitals needed the space for those seriously ill, there wasn't the testing capacity to test them before they were discharged, so what was the solution ? Perhaps families could have taken their parents into their own homes and looked after them, easier to put them in a home and forget them.

liverpool

"Do you really need to be told? Let's start with discharging Covid +ve patients into care homes shall we?

Hospitals needed the space for those seriously ill, there wasn't the testing capacity to test them before they were discharged, so what was the solution ? Perhaps families could have taken their parents into their own homes and looked after them, easier to put them in a home and forget them."

Unreal

liverpool

Me dad had dementia and couldnt look after himself and had to be took into a care home as me mum couldn't cope.

But she obviously just chucked him in there as she couldnt be arsed looking after him.

I'll need to take a step back from this or I'll say something I'll regret.

bournemouth

"Me dad had dementia and couldnt look after himself and had to be took into a care home as me mum couldn't cope.

But she obviously just chucked him in there as she couldnt be arsed looking after him.

I'll need to take a step back from this or I'll say something I'll regret."

How about you looking after him,decent kids help out, we looked after both my father first three years and K's mum this year instead of taking the easy option and dumping her in a home, of course there are cases where it's not possible but many many families could do it.

By *andy 1Couple  over a year ago

northeast

"Do you really need to be told? Let's start with discharging Covid +ve patients into care homes shall we?

Hospitals needed the space for those seriously ill, there wasn't the testing capacity to test them before they were discharged, so what was the solution ? Perhaps families could have taken their parents into their own homes and looked after them, easier to put them in a home and forget them."

liverpool

"Me dad had dementia and couldnt look after himself and had to be took into a care home as me mum couldn't cope.

How about you looking after him,decent kids help out, we looked after both my father first three years and K's mum this year instead of taking the easy option and dumping her in a home, of course there are cases where it's not possible but many many families could do it."

Sorry.

I'm taking a step out.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

How about you looking after him,decent kids help out, we looked after both my father first three years and K's mum this year instead of taking the easy option and dumping her in a home, of course there are cases where it's not possible but many many families could do it."

I think to call out people who don't have the medical training, equipment etc necessary to nurse an elderly parent with dementia and other health issues is extremely naive..

It's not the be sort of language that adds anything to what is a complex issue..

To expect none trained people to do so is both dangerous for the individual and for those in that position..

I say this as a son who has siblings trained in MH and a wife who is a nurse of forty plus years professional experience, and for my Dad the best option was in a home where the staff are professionals in dementia care..

Tbh the option of looking after an elderly parent without dementia is a preferred one with the necessary support from community nurses etc but once dementia which has accelerated rapidly is involved it's a different ball game sadly..

By *oxychick35Couple  over a year ago

thornaby

I don’t think many families take that decision easily to be fair most will be heartbroken

Cambridge

"Do you really need to be told? Let's start with discharging Covid +ve patients into care homes shall we?"
I thought that the whole idea of moving people into care homes was to free up NHS resources in order to save lives in a time of national crisis. Seems bizarre to suggest that anyone had any intention of killing anyone.

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

. "

Every country such a stupid remark grow up

Preston

I thought that the whole idea of moving people into care homes was to free up NHS resources in order to save lives in a time of national crisis. Seems bizarre to suggest that anyone had any intention of killing anyone. "

I think the gigantic point you're conveniently missing is the government's actions directly led to thousands of unnecessary deaths in carehomes and while this was highlighted as it was happening, it wasn't addressed by the government.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Lewes

Wow. Even from blinkered, ostrich-like whataboutists that I knew people on here to be, this is a whole new level of stupidity, denial and insensitivity.

And denial on a day where it comes to light that these people weren't tested, despite the assurances and promises of the secretary of state. It was like flinging diseased meat over the ramparts in medieval times. And there are people on here prepared to defend it. We will be governed by Tories until everyone with an IQ of over 50 has left (and then Mr Binhead will have his day).

By *ackal1Couple  over a year ago

Manchester

Fucking horrific statement! So care homes have hundreds of thousands of residents because their kids don’t care and dump them in a care home.

. I’m assuming your family members had dementia, Alzheimer’s or were they just old?

You of course gave 24hour attention had bathing lifts installed or did you each just grab an arm!, of course you all took turns changing their dressings and incontinence garments. No doubt you took turns turning them every couple of hours to stop them choking or getting bed sores.

Maybe you just didn’t want to pay towards their care because you’re cheap!

Cambridge

How about you looking after him,decent kids help out, we looked after both my father first three years and K's mum this year instead of taking the easy option and dumping her in a home, of course there are cases where it's not possible but many many families could do it.

Fucking horrific statement! So care homes have hundreds of thousands of residents because their kids don’t care and dump them in a care home.

. I’m assuming your family members had dementia, Alzheimer’s or were they just old?

You of course gave 24hour attention had bathing lifts installed or did you each just grab an arm!, of course you all took turns changing their dressings and incontinence garments. No doubt you took turns turning them every couple of hours to stop them choking or getting bed sores.

"

I think what the poster was high lighting was that some children do dump their parents in a care home. He was hinting that children should be taking responsibility for their parents in older age . ( as opposed to dumping the responsibility on the government). There is nothing horrific about people having a sense of responsibility and we should be encouraging it.

If fewer people put their parents in care homes , there would be more resources to help in the really serious cases where care is required. 24 / 7.

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

I think what the poster was high lighting was that some children do dump their parents in a care home. He was hinting that children should be taking responsibility for their parents in older age . ( as opposed to dumping the responsibility on the government). There is nothing horrific about people having a sense of responsibility and we should be encouraging it.

If fewer people put their parents in care homes , there would be more resources to help in the really serious cases where care is required. 24 / 7."

From your post I would guess that you have never had a relative with Dementia.

As dementia progresses, it is simply not an illness that can be cared for in a domestic home setting. The loss of recognition and cognition associated with fits of anger and disrupted sleep patterns are issues that literally overwhelm family carers.

By *ammskiMan  over a year ago

lytham st.annes

If fewer people put their parents in care homes , there would be more resources to help in the really serious cases where care is required. 24 / 7.

From your post I would guess that you have never had a relative with Dementia.

As dementia progresses, it is simply not an illness that can be cared for in a domestic home setting. The loss of recognition and cognition associated with fits of anger and disrupted sleep patterns are issues that literally overwhelm family carers. "

Manchester

If fewer people put their parents in care homes , there would be more resources to help in the really serious cases where care is required. 24 / 7."

I’m sure there are a very few people who do in fact ‘dump’ their parents.

His post offensive and you defending it is shameful.

I could equally say he was protecting any inheritance he had coming.

Having my mother devastated by Alzheimer’s and watching as it destroyed my father until we couldn’t cope as a family is something I would wish on anyone. I was a single parent running a business so should I stop work. What would you suggest?

My father paid 83% tax in the seventies so he’s earned that care over and over again, however he still had to pay in full for 7 years for her 24 hour care. If he was skint he would pay nothing. So like a teenager who is involved in an accident costing £100k should we say let him die as he hasn’t paid tax?

The post is outrageous and his experience was blatantly not a an example of others.

My father who is is in his 90’s can stay with me anytime and as long as he wants as it’s easy but dealing with a parent with illness is not the same.

Old folks homes and care homes are not the same thing!!

What an abhorrent and ignorant thing to say,

They could easily have reprovisioned some of the thousands of hotels that were closed at that time as halfway houses to quarantine in.

Other countries managed it.

Hospitals needed the space for those seriously ill, there wasn't the testing capacity to test them before they were discharged, so what was the solution ? Perhaps families could have taken their parents into their own homes and looked after them, easier to put them in a home and forget them.

They could easily have reprovisioned some of the thousands of hotels that were closed at that time as halfway houses to quarantine in.

Other countries managed it."

Being that the argument against sending people to family is that care and equipment wouldn't be in location. This just would not work.

I'm not sure there has ever been a valid answer for this dilemma other than send them to a nightingale, again not sure on care or equipment at those locations

Being that the argument against sending people to family is that care and equipment wouldn't be in location. This just would not work.

I'm not sure there has ever been a valid answer for this dilemma other than send them to a nightingale, again not sure on care or equipment at those locations"

Both equipment and carers are movable.

As I said before, other countries managed this exact approach. It can and has worked.

I'm not sure there has ever been a valid answer for this dilemma other than send them to a nightingale, again not sure on care or equipment at those locations

As I said before, other countries managed this exact approach. It can and has worked."

They were moving them from hospitals because they needed the equipment.

If we moved all of the equipment from the care homes along with the staff then who was gonna look after the residents they left?

I'm not saying it can't work but its not as simple as you make it sound.

As I said before, other countries managed this exact approach. It can and has worked.

If we moved all of the equipment from the care homes along with the staff then who was gonna look after the residents they left?

I'm not saying it can't work but its not as simple as you make it sound."

You absolutely did say it wouldn't work.

There was plenty of capacity in the care sector in terms of both equipment and manpower this time last year.

The types of equipment required in care homes were not the type required in hospitals.

A government literally spunking billions could have easily made it work. Like other countries did.

There was plenty of capacity in the care sector in terms of both equipment and manpower this time last year.

The types of equipment required in care homes were not the type required in hospitals.

A government literally spunking billions could have easily made it work. Like other countries did.

"

I said it wouldn't work, not can't. If you'd like to have a debate with me at least have the decency to read what I write

As I've said already, if we remove the equipment from the care homes along with the staff for these reprovisioned properties. Who and what replaces them?

I said it wouldn't work, not can't. If you'd like to have a debate with me at least have the decency to read what I write

As I've said already, if we remove the equipment from the care homes along with the staff for these reprovisioned properties. Who and what replaces them?"

The equipment wasn't being used because the residents were in hospital.

Nursing patients aside, you're not talking about huge amounts of equipment for residential patients.

And many care home staff were furloughed (as disgraceful as that sounds).

Source to both : several close family members work as care home managers / CQC / County Social Services.

As I've said already, if we remove the equipment from the care homes along with the staff for these reprovisioned properties. Who and what replaces them?"

I may have to place my mum into care and this is a worry for me

As I've said already, if we remove the equipment from the care homes along with the staff for these reprovisioned properties. Who and what replaces them?

Nursing patients aside, you're not talking about huge amounts of equipment for residential patients.

Source to both : several close family members work as care home managers / CQC / County Social Services."

Wasn't the equipment was being used for the people still in the homes? I'm sure not every resident has equipment dedicated to them.

If care home staff were furloughed then that's an absolutely shocking decision by those businesses. Being that residents were being released back to care. Are you saying in effect that a lot of them were actually understaffed?

Source to both : several close family members work as care home managers / CQC / County Social Services.

Wasn't the equipment was being used for the people still in the homes? I'm sure not every resident has equipment dedicated to them.

If care home staff were furloughed then that's an absolutely shocking decision by those businesses. Being that residents were being released back to care. Are you saying in effect that a lot of them were actually understaffed?"

If care home staff were furloughed then that's an absolutely shocking decision by those businesses. Being that residents were being released back to care. Are you saying in effect that a lot of them were actually understaffed?"

The vast majority of care homes are permanently understaffed and rely on agency staff.

Most of the types of equipment required would be one to one (mattresses) etc.

There would typically be multiple of shared equipment such as hoists and in any case there would only be a few required per hotel - no different to opening a new care home.

Staffing would have been simple enough - a typical carers training, from scratch, is less than a week.

Tens of millions were out of work, in furlough.

On the scale of things, it would have been relatively easy on a national level to have funded and staffed this kind of facility.

I may have to place my mum into care and this is a worry for me"

This is all about what should have happened last year.

It is no longer an issue - residents have had to have negative tests and quarantine when going back to a date home for the last 6-9 months +

Lewes

"This is all about what should have happened last year."

Quite. Move along, nothing to see here...

Except... by formally examining (rather than brushing under the carpet) failings from the past, we can hopefully prevent their recurrence. We can improve policy. Etc.

Or we can close our eyes, and push back the inquiry so it reports after the next general election.

This is pretty much a tribal / party lines question. Which is shocking really, after tens of thousands of avoidable deaths. How do Tories sleep at night?

Manchester

I may be wrong but seem to remember reading that the hospitals could have held on to most of the elderly until they were tested as the beds were empty for weeks before any Covid patients appeared.

Bad planning all round.

in Lancashire

It is no longer an issue - residents have had to have negative tests and quarantine when going back to a date home for the last 6-9 months +"

People died, through bad policy..

It's pretty much an issue for the families of those who were safe then covid positive residents were returned back to the homes under duress which needlessly killed their loved ones..

liverpool

Be interesting to see if they take the gmnt to court.

Could open the floodgates

It is no longer an issue - residents have had to have negative tests and quarantine when going back to a date home for the last 6-9 months +

It's pretty much an issue for the families of those who were safe then covid positive residents were returned back to the homes under duress which needlessly killed their loved ones.."

Absolutely agree. It was disgraceful.

I was replying to a poster who was concerned about putting a relative in car in the future. Hence my reassuring him it is 'no longer an issue' he should be worried about.

in Lancashire

It's pretty much an issue for the families of those who were safe then covid positive residents were returned back to the homes under duress which needlessly killed their loved ones..

Absolutely agree. It was disgraceful.

I was replying to a poster who was concerned about putting a relative in car in the future. Hence my reassuring him it is 'no longer an issue' he should be worried about."

Np, my apologies for my confusion..

Cambridge

What an abhorrent and ignorant thing to say, "

. The poster to which you refer made a very valid point . There is nothing abhorrent or ignorant about his comment . He was simply making a point that some children should take more responsibility for their parents . He also recognised that there were circumstances where this was not possible . I would much prefer to live in a society where children took responsibility for their parents.

I can think of a number of cases where children asked my father to visit their parents . On a simplistic basis these children were to lazy or dis interested to visit their own parents and instead asked my father to do so instead .

It is no longer an issue - residents have had to have negative tests and quarantine when going back to a date home for the last 6-9 months +"

what i should have made clear was the standard of care she may get. it all a bit of a worry

Manchester

[Removed by poster at 27/05/21 22:59:18]

Manchester

What an abhorrent and ignorant thing to say, . The poster to which you refer made a very valid point . There is nothing abhorrent or ignorant about his comment . He was simply making a point that some children should take more responsibility for their parents . He also recognised that there were circumstances where this was not possible . I would much prefer to live in a society where children took responsibility for their parents.

I can think of a number of cases where children asked my father to visit their parents . On a simplistic basis these children were to lazy or dis interested to visit their own parents and instead asked my father to do so instead . "

Two old guys with Alzheimer’s need 24 hour care

First one has never worked has no kids

Second had worked all his life and paid tax all his life has 1 adult child.

Which guy should the state pay for?

Cambridge

What an abhorrent and ignorant thing to say, . The poster to which you refer made a very valid point . There is nothing abhorrent or ignorant about his comment . He was simply making a point that some children should take more responsibility for their parents . He also recognised that there were circumstances where this was not possible . I would much prefer to live in a society where children took responsibility for their parents.

I can think of a number of cases where children asked my father to visit their parents . On a simplistic basis these children were to lazy or dis interested to visit their own parents and instead asked my father to do so instead .

Which guy should the state pay for?"

. Under the current system the state will pay for those with assets of less than £23000 . The whole funding issue needs a complete overhaul with possibility additional taxation being paid by those over 45 and pensioners should be made to pay NIC. The amount anyone pays for care should be capped . Sadly it is an issue that many people prefer to shove aside .

Manchester

Which guy should the state pay for?. Under the current system the state will pay for those with assets of less than £23000 . The whole funding issue needs a complete overhaul with possibility additional taxation being paid by those over 45 and pensioners should be made to pay NIC. The amount anyone pays for care should be capped . Sadly it is an issue that many people prefer to shove aside . "

I agree it needs reform. It’s underfunded centrally.

The tax thing I don’t agree with being over 45 .

Under 25s account for a high proportion of accidents along with crimes costing police time and higher visits to A&E on a Saturday night. Should we ban them from driving and refuse them treatment as they haven’t contributed enough or in many cases any tax?

Our population is ageing so we need to address it all. Maybe a start would be to stop non domiciles tax free status and close easy tax avoidance options for wealthy individuals/corporations.

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

WTF? Have I just read

By *ethnmelvCouple  over a year ago

Chudleigh

Why don’t we just have an enquiry now. If the Govt is guilty of ‘corporate manslaughter’ then we get to jail Boris. It is evident that people died needlessly, but lets have the evidence in the open - I never liked Cummings, but I like Boris even less

liverpool

"Why don’t we just have an enquiry now. If the Govt is guilty of ‘corporate manslaughter’ then we get to jail Boris. It is evident that people died needlessly, but lets have the evidence in the open - I never liked Cummings, but I like Boris even less "

Something else that's gone under the radar

They said last week it would be this year, now its next spring.

Didnt hancock say something like there was no need for an investigation?

in Lancashire

By the time any inquiry concludes those responsible for mistakes, lying, filling their associates pickets will no longer be in office or possibly even in politics..

The party will say that was then, lessons have been learned and the majority of the public will ignore or hardly take notice as in East Ender's/Corrie there's a gripping story line to concentrate on..

liverpool

"By the time any inquiry concludes those responsible for mistakes, lying, filling their associates pickets will no longer be in office or possibly even in politics..

The party will say that was then, lessons have been learned and the majority of the public will ignore or hardly take notice as in East Ender's/Corrie there's a gripping story line to concentrate on.."

Standard practice..we have seen this week how effectively it works.

If labour had any competence they would be demanding it now.

"By the time any inquiry concludes those responsible for mistakes, lying, filling their associates pickets will no longer be in office or possibly even in politics..

The party will say that was then, lessons have been learned and the majority of the public will ignore or hardly take notice as in East Ender's/Corrie there's a gripping story line to concentrate on.."

As Lionel says... Standard Practice...

liverpool

The party will say that was then, lessons have been learned and the majority of the public will ignore or hardly take notice as in East Ender's/Corrie there's a gripping story line to concentrate on..

"

Are you agreeing with me?

Cambridge

"Why don’t we just have an enquiry now. If the Govt is guilty of ‘corporate manslaughter’ then we get to jail Boris. It is evident that people died needlessly, but lets have the evidence in the open - I never liked Cummings, but I like Boris even less "
. Maybe because most enquiries are completely pointless and only line the pockets of barristers and lawyers . What has happened in the past is probably of no interest to most people, it is the future that counts .

If ever there was an event where an enquiry is totally unnecessary this is it. All the issues have been discussed in the open time and time again. A lot of countries faced similar issues .

Do you want to credit Boris with the numerous lives saved by the vaccination programme or just blame him for the deaths .

Are you agreeing with me?"

Looks that way

liverpool

Looks that way "

Cant believe that!

Looks that way

Cant believe that!"

We do disagree most of the time but if I think you're right I won't be shy in saying so

liverpool

If there ever was an event that warranted an investigation it would be the deaths of over 130,000 people.

However I'm sure the families of peoples who have lost love ones in care homes, are more to happy to move on ,and count their blessings we have a lying moron running the country, who wanted to go on the sooty show to get injected with covid to prove it wasnt dangerous.

Cambridge

"If there ever was an event that warranted an investigation it would be the deaths of over 130,000 people.

However I'm sure the families of peoples who have lost love ones in care homes, are more to happy to move on ,and count their blessings we have a lying moron running the country, who wanted to go on the sooty show to get injected with covid to prove it wasnt dangerous."

. Hi. You raise a very interesting point. I do not see many families of those who died during the Panademic calling for a public enquiry .

Most people accept the unique problems faced by the government and that you can only make decisions based on information available at the time , not after the event. I cannot see any reasons why the families of the deceased would feel any different.

Mistakes would have happened regardless of whom was in power. A lot of the information was supplied by both the civil service, Sage and various health organisations.

liverpool

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/mar/16/bereaved-families-call-for-judge-led-public-inquiry-into-uk-covid-response

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56886334.amp

https://www.itv.com/news/tyne-tees/2021-04-28/bereaved-north-east-families-call-for-statutory-covid-inquiry

Cambridge

"https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/mar/16/bereaved-families-call-for-judge-led-public-inquiry-into-uk-covid-response

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56886334.amp

https://www.itv.com/news/tyne-tees/2021-04-28/bereaved-north-east-families-call-for-statutory-covid-inquiry"

Thank you . However this appears to be a very small group of people . I would prefer to form my opinion on that of the majority as opposed to a vocal minority .

It is interesting to see that they are appealing for money . no doubt this is good news for at least one solicitor

liverpool

Once again.

I shall step away

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

"Why don’t we just have an enquiry now. If the Govt is guilty of ‘corporate manslaughter’ then we get to jail Boris. It is evident that people died needlessly, but lets have the evidence in the open - I never liked Cummings, but I like Boris even less . Maybe because most enquiries are completely pointless and only line the pockets of barristers and lawyers . What has happened in the past is probably of no interest to most people, it is the future that counts .

If ever there was an event where an enquiry is totally unnecessary this is it. All the issues have been discussed in the open time and time again. A lot of countries faced similar issues .

Do you want to credit Boris with the numerous lives saved by the vaccination programme or just blame him for the deaths ."

What a way to think?

So the Nuremberg trials were pointless as what happened was all in the past?

War crimes should never be punished - because they are in the past?

Criminals should never be brought to trial - because what they did was in the past?

Enquiries like Saville, Hillsborough, Cash for Questions etc - should never happen because they are in past?

Slavish devotion to a political party is one thing, but trying to protect its senior members from a potential criminal investigation is on another level.

Preston

If a private company had made the same kind of business decisions that contributed to the deaths of their workers then high level members of senior management would be up in court on gross negligence manslaughter charges or the company pu on Corporate manslaughter charges.

Cambridge

"Why don’t we just have an enquiry now. If the Govt is guilty of ‘corporate manslaughter’ then we get to jail Boris. It is evident that people died needlessly, but lets have the evidence in the open - I never liked Cummings, but I like Boris even less

If a private company had made the same kind of business decisions that contributed to the deaths of their workers then high level members of senior management would be up in court on gross negligence manslaughter charges or the company pu on Corporate manslaughter charges.

"

Can you imagine how many more would have died if the government could take no action because of the risk of corporate manslaughter charges .

At least the government took prompt action both to save lives and to protect others from financial ruin .

What more could anyone want ? At least the electorate agree with the governments strategy

Preston

"Why don’t we just have an enquiry now. If the Govt is guilty of ‘corporate manslaughter’ then we get to jail Boris. It is evident that people died needlessly, but lets have the evidence in the open - I never liked Cummings, but I like Boris even less

Can you imagine how many more would have died if the government could take no action because of the risk of corporate manslaughter charges .

At least the government took prompt action both to save lives and to protect others from financial ruin .

What more could anyone want ? At least the electorate agree with the governments strategy

"

Can you imagine how many wouldn't have died if covid patients hadn't been put back into care homes in the view of ring fencing the NHS to reduce ward capacity.

Can you imagine how many wouldn't have died if we'd have closed our borders to none essential travel months earlier than we finally did.

How you can say the government took prompt action to save lives while ignoring their actions that costs thousands of unnecessary deaths is beyond me.

And the most bizarre comment of yours is that the electorate agree with the governments strategy.... How do you figure that nugget of genius out as we haven't had a general election during the pandemic

I suppose if you're pleased with the thousands of unnecessary deaths caused by the Government's strategy then they truly cannot do anything wrong in your book.

Preston

"

Above all, the main point you didn't address is do you believe a private company should be free from any form of prosecution like our Government currently is under the same scenario of policy and procedures contributing to people's deaths?

Borrowings are now lower than that predicted by the Office of Budget Responsibility just two months ago.

The OBR estimates for economic growth look too pessimistic and is now expected to be 7 % ( not the 4 % as predicted). It looks like tax rises will not now be necessary.

Julian Jessop , an economist at the Institute of Economic Affairs think tank said . -( Treasury officials can stop casting around for more ways to increase the tax burden and should actually be looking for ways to cut it )

This has to be great news for every tax payer and ordinary working people . Lots of new jobs , an award winning vaccination programme and the FTSE 250 at an all time high.

In addition to the above many people have saved a lot of money during Covid 19 . They will be eager to go out an spend it .

This is very disappointing news for the merchants of doom and gloom but we have to face reality.

The only cloud on the horizon is inflation. It is already impacting the construction trade along with supply issues . I never thought that you would see bags of cement being rationed

"

This is hilarious and utter rubbish

Cambridge

Can you imagine how many wouldn't have died if covid patients hadn't been put back into care homes in the view of ring fencing the NHS to reduce ward capacity.

Can you imagine how many wouldn't have died if we'd have closed our borders to none essential travel months earlier than we finally did.

How you can say the government took prompt action to save lives while ignoring their actions that costs thousands of unnecessary deaths is beyond me.

And the most bizarre comment of yours is that the electorate agree with the governments strategy.... How do you figure that nugget of genius out as we haven't had a general election during the pandemic

I suppose if you're pleased with the thousands of unnecessary deaths caused by the Government's strategy then they truly cannot do anything wrong in your book. "

. Hi. The election results a few weeks ago were a good enough indication for me.

That is intensely insensitive. Shame on you.

I suppose if you're pleased with the thousands of unnecessary deaths caused by the Government's strategy then they truly cannot do anything wrong in your book. . Hi. The election results a few weeks ago were a good enough indication for me. "

Indication of what exactly?

. Every country such a stupid remark grow up"

The UK is third in the world’s list of Covid deaths per population. Third. Behind the US.

India is way, way behind.

Cummings or not, the initial pursuit of herd immunity, despite scientists’ modelling of infection and mortality, was without doubt the driving force to this. That it was driven by the pursuit of wealth by those in power as well as by incompetence and absolute disregard for public welfare, makes it even more despicable.

It harks back to French’s decision to allow the slaughter of battle naive troops in WW1 as expendable cannon fodder- the staunch Conservatives.

What will be a horrible epitaph to these times is that this virus kills in many ways. Mankind will never be rid of it and it will evolve to cause higher morbidity and mortality.

Cambridge

. Every country such a stupid remark grow up

The UK is third in the world’s list of Covid deaths per population. Third. Behind the US.

Cummings or not, the initial pursuit of herd immunity, despite scientists’ modelling of infection and mortality, was without doubt the driving force to this. That it was driven by the pursuit of wealth by those in power as well as by incompetence and absolute disregard for public welfare, makes it even more despicable.

It harks back to French’s decision to allow the slaughter of battle naive troops in WW1 as expendable cannon fodder- the staunch Conservatives.

What will be a horrible epitaph to these times is that this virus kills in many ways. Mankind will never be rid of it and it will evolve to cause higher morbidity and mortality."

. Hello You would expect a densely populated country to have a high death rate . At a death rate of 1872 per million of population , the UK has the 17 th highest death rate . That to me seems to be an acceptable performance . On a simplistic basis death were inevitable during the crisis .

# Country, Deaths/

Other 1M pop

1 Hungary 3,080

2 Bosnia and Herzegovina 2,823

3 Czechia 2,805

4 Gibraltar 2,791

5 San Marino 2,647

6 North Macedonia 2,586

7 Bulgaria 2,556

8 Montenegro 2,515

9 Slovakia 2,258

10 Belgium 2,140

11 Brazil 2,135

12 Slovenia 2,102

13 Italy 2,085

14 Peru 2,061

15 Croatia 1,958

16 Poland 1,945

17 UK 1,873

18 USA 1,826

19 Mexico 1,711

20 Spain 1,708

21 Colombia 1,688

22 Portugal 1,674

23 Argentina 1,671

24 France 1,669

25 Andorra 1,641

26 Romania 1,578

27 Lithuania 1,576

28 Liechtenstein 1,517

29 Moldova 1,515

30 Chile 1,502

31 Armenia 1,490

32 Panama 1,454

33 Sweden 1,419

34 Luxembourg 1,282

35 Latvia 1,263

36 Switzerland 1,240

37 Paraguay 1,220

38 Bolivia 1,211

39 Georgia 1,187

40 Austria 1,170

41 Uruguay 1,167

42 Greece 1,156

43 Ukraine 1,155

44 Ecuador 1,138

45 Lebanon 1,133

46 Germany 1,056

47 Tunisia 1,044

48 Netherlands 1,026

What will be a horrible epitaph to these times is that this virus kills in many ways. Mankind will never be rid of it and it will evolve to cause higher morbidity and mortality.. Hello You would expect a densely populated country to have a high death rate . At a death rate of 1872 per million of population , the UK has the 17 th highest death rate . That to me seems to be an acceptable performance . On a simplistic basis death were inevitable during the crisis .

# Country, Deaths/

Other 1M pop

1 Hungary 3,080

3 Czechia 2,805

4 Gibraltar 2,791

5 San Marino 2,647

6 North Macedonia 2,586

7 Bulgaria 2,556

8 Montenegro 2,515

9 Slovakia 2,258

10 Belgium 2,140

11 Brazil 2,135

12 Slovenia 2,102

13 Italy 2,085

14 Peru 2,061

15 Croatia 1,958

16 Poland 1,945

17 UK 1,873

18 USA 1,826

19 Mexico 1,711

20 Spain 1,708

21 Colombia 1,688

22 Portugal 1,674

23 Argentina 1,671

24 France 1,669

25 Andorra 1,641

26 Romania 1,578

27 Lithuania 1,576

28 Liechtenstein 1,517

29 Moldova 1,515

30 Chile 1,502

31 Armenia 1,490

32 Panama 1,454

33 Sweden 1,419

34 Luxembourg 1,282

35 Latvia 1,263

36 Switzerland 1,240

37 Paraguay 1,220

38 Bolivia 1,211

39 Georgia 1,187

40 Austria 1,170

41 Uruguay 1,167

42 Greece 1,156

43 Ukraine 1,155

44 Ecuador 1,138

45 Lebanon 1,133

46 Germany 1,056

47 Tunisia 1,044

48 Netherlands 1,026

"

‘Acceptable performance ‘?

Lewes

"‘Acceptable performance ‘? "

Provided one of them wasn't your nan, and you completely lack empathy or common sense, yeah.

bournemouth

That is intensely insensitive. Shame on you."

Glad to see people are happy to leave someone else to look after their parents, I though socialists were meant to be caring, well as long as someone else is doing it. We looked after both my father and K's mum who had cancer and alzheimer's,wasnt easy at times but she would have hated going into a home, we both can look at ourselves in the mirror and say we did our best and didnt makes excuses

Glad to see people are happy to leave someone else to look after their parents, I though socialists were meant to be caring, well as long as someone else is doing it. We looked after both my father and K's mum who had cancer and alzheimer's,wasnt easy at times but she would have hated going into a home, we both can look at ourselves in the mirror and say we did our best and didnt makes excuses "

Whose making excuses? What has this got to do with care home residents with COVID being sent back from hospital ? Completely irrelevant

liverpool

Fairly sure making personal comments about other posters are still frowned upon?

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

Glad to see people are happy to leave someone else to look after their parents, I though socialists were meant to be caring, well as long as someone else is doing it. We looked after both my father and K's mum who had cancer and alzheimer's,wasnt easy at times but she would have hated going into a home, we both can look at ourselves in the mirror and say we did our best and didnt makes excuses "

What an insensitive thing to say, the hardest decision someone has to make and you think it is acceptable to tell people they are awful for doing it?

Maybe a bit of understanding of people who have to make a hard decision instead of finger pointing as if you are perfect would be better

You are also attacking one person for this comment so drop it please

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

Back to the OP

What will be a horrible epitaph to these times is that this virus kills in many ways. Mankind will never be rid of it and it will evolve to cause higher morbidity and mortality.. Hello You would expect a densely populated country to have a high death rate . At a death rate of 1872 per million of population , the UK has the 17 th highest death rate . That to me seems to be an acceptable performance . On a simplistic basis death were inevitable during the crisis .

# Country, Deaths/

Other 1M pop

1 Hungary 3,080

3 Czechia 2,805

4 Gibraltar 2,791

5 San Marino 2,647

6 North Macedonia 2,586

7 Bulgaria 2,556

8 Montenegro 2,515

9 Slovakia 2,258

10 Belgium 2,140

11 Brazil 2,135

12 Slovenia 2,102

13 Italy 2,085

14 Peru 2,061

15 Croatia 1,958

16 Poland 1,945

17 UK 1,873

18 USA 1,826

19 Mexico 1,711

20 Spain 1,708

21 Colombia 1,688

22 Portugal 1,674

23 Argentina 1,671

24 France 1,669

25 Andorra 1,641

26 Romania 1,578

27 Lithuania 1,576

28 Liechtenstein 1,517

29 Moldova 1,515

30 Chile 1,502

31 Armenia 1,490

32 Panama 1,454

33 Sweden 1,419

34 Luxembourg 1,282

35 Latvia 1,263

36 Switzerland 1,240

37 Paraguay 1,220

38 Bolivia 1,211

39 Georgia 1,187

40 Austria 1,170

41 Uruguay 1,167

42 Greece 1,156

43 Ukraine 1,155

44 Ecuador 1,138

45 Lebanon 1,133

46 Germany 1,056

47 Tunisia 1,044

48 Netherlands 1,026

"

This is the most Tory post of all time.

We're dangerously close to the Mitchel and Webb "kill the poor" sketch.

# Country, Deaths/

Other 1M pop

1 Hungary 3,080

3 Czechia 2,805

4 Gibraltar 2,791

5 San Marino 2,647

6 North Macedonia 2,586

7 Bulgaria 2,556

8 Montenegro 2,515

9 Slovakia 2,258

10 Belgium 2,140

11 Brazil 2,135

12 Slovenia 2,102

13 Italy 2,085

14 Peru 2,061

15 Croatia 1,958

16 Poland 1,945

17 UK 1,873

18 USA 1,826

19 Mexico 1,711

20 Spain 1,708

21 Colombia 1,688

22 Portugal 1,674

23 Argentina 1,671

24 France 1,669

25 Andorra 1,641

26 Romania 1,578

27 Lithuania 1,576

28 Liechtenstein 1,517

29 Moldova 1,515

30 Chile 1,502

31 Armenia 1,490

32 Panama 1,454

33 Sweden 1,419

34 Luxembourg 1,282

35 Latvia 1,263

36 Switzerland 1,240

37 Paraguay 1,220

38 Bolivia 1,211

39 Georgia 1,187

40 Austria 1,170

41 Uruguay 1,167

42 Greece 1,156

43 Ukraine 1,155

44 Ecuador 1,138

45 Lebanon 1,133

46 Germany 1,056

47 Tunisia 1,044

48 Netherlands 1,026

We're dangerously close to the Mitchel and Webb "kill the poor" sketch. "

But but but, we are ‘only’ 17th out of 50

Cambridge

# Country, Deaths/

Other 1M pop

1 Hungary 3,080

3 Czechia 2,805

4 Gibraltar 2,791

5 San Marino 2,647

6 North Macedonia 2,586

7 Bulgaria 2,556

8 Montenegro 2,515

9 Slovakia 2,258

10 Belgium 2,140

11 Brazil 2,135

12 Slovenia 2,102

13 Italy 2,085

14 Peru 2,061

15 Croatia 1,958

16 Poland 1,945

17 UK 1,873

18 USA 1,826

19 Mexico 1,711

20 Spain 1,708

21 Colombia 1,688

22 Portugal 1,674

23 Argentina 1,671

24 France 1,669

25 Andorra 1,641

26 Romania 1,578

27 Lithuania 1,576

28 Liechtenstein 1,517

29 Moldova 1,515

30 Chile 1,502

31 Armenia 1,490

32 Panama 1,454

33 Sweden 1,419

34 Luxembourg 1,282

35 Latvia 1,263

36 Switzerland 1,240

37 Paraguay 1,220

38 Bolivia 1,211

39 Georgia 1,187

40 Austria 1,170

41 Uruguay 1,167

42 Greece 1,156

43 Ukraine 1,155

44 Ecuador 1,138

45 Lebanon 1,133

46 Germany 1,056

47 Tunisia 1,044

48 Netherlands 1,026

We're dangerously close to the Mitchel and Webb "kill the poor" sketch. "

. Hello . The post made no reference to any political party . It was simply an attempt to make an objective analysis of the facts . It simply said that the UK had the 17 th highest death rate per million and posted in a table of deaths per million .

thornaby

# Country, Deaths/

Other 1M pop

1 Hungary 3,080

3 Czechia 2,805

4 Gibraltar 2,791

5 San Marino 2,647

6 North Macedonia 2,586

7 Bulgaria 2,556

8 Montenegro 2,515

9 Slovakia 2,258

10 Belgium 2,140

11 Brazil 2,135

12 Slovenia 2,102

13 Italy 2,085

14 Peru 2,061

15 Croatia 1,958

16 Poland 1,945

17 UK 1,873

18 USA 1,826

19 Mexico 1,711

20 Spain 1,708

21 Colombia 1,688

22 Portugal 1,674

23 Argentina 1,671

24 France 1,669

25 Andorra 1,641

26 Romania 1,578

27 Lithuania 1,576

28 Liechtenstein 1,517

29 Moldova 1,515

30 Chile 1,502

31 Armenia 1,490

32 Panama 1,454

33 Sweden 1,419

34 Luxembourg 1,282

35 Latvia 1,263

36 Switzerland 1,240

37 Paraguay 1,220

38 Bolivia 1,211

39 Georgia 1,187

40 Austria 1,170

41 Uruguay 1,167

42 Greece 1,156

43 Ukraine 1,155

44 Ecuador 1,138

45 Lebanon 1,133

46 Germany 1,056

47 Tunisia 1,044

48 Netherlands 1,026

We're dangerously close to the Mitchel and Webb "kill the poor" sketch.

But but but, we are ‘only’ 17th out of 50 "

do all the countries count deaths the same as the U.K. ???

# Country, Deaths/

Other 1M pop

1 Hungary 3,080

3 Czechia 2,805

4 Gibraltar 2,791

5 San Marino 2,647

6 North Macedonia 2,586

7 Bulgaria 2,556

8 Montenegro 2,515

9 Slovakia 2,258

10 Belgium 2,140

11 Brazil 2,135

12 Slovenia 2,102

13 Italy 2,085

14 Peru 2,061

15 Croatia 1,958

16 Poland 1,945

17 UK 1,873

18 USA 1,826

19 Mexico 1,711

20 Spain 1,708

21 Colombia 1,688

22 Portugal 1,674

23 Argentina 1,671

24 France 1,669

25 Andorra 1,641

26 Romania 1,578

27 Lithuania 1,576

28 Liechtenstein 1,517

29 Moldova 1,515

30 Chile 1,502

31 Armenia 1,490

32 Panama 1,454

33 Sweden 1,419

34 Luxembourg 1,282

35 Latvia 1,263

36 Switzerland 1,240

37 Paraguay 1,220

38 Bolivia 1,211

39 Georgia 1,187

40 Austria 1,170

41 Uruguay 1,167

42 Greece 1,156

43 Ukraine 1,155

44 Ecuador 1,138

45 Lebanon 1,133

46 Germany 1,056

47 Tunisia 1,044

48 Netherlands 1,026

We're dangerously close to the Mitchel and Webb "kill the poor" sketch. . Hello . The post made no reference to any political party . It was simply an attempt to make an objective analysis of the facts . It simply said that the UK had the 17 th highest death rate per million and posted in a table of deaths per million . "

Bizarre that you think that it's a good thing to see the economic powerhouse of Ecuador having way less deaths than us.

As mentioned. The most Tory thing I've read on here. And seeing as we're in the epicenter of Tory. That's some praise.

Preston

I suppose if you're pleased with the thousands of unnecessary deaths caused by the Government's strategy then they truly cannot do anything wrong in your book. . Hi.

The election results a few weeks ago were a good enough indication for me. "

The results of local elections based on local issues, OK

bournemouth

I suppose if you're pleased with the thousands of unnecessary deaths caused by the Government's strategy then they truly cannot do anything wrong in your book. . Hi.

The election results a few weeks ago were a good enough indication for me.

The results of local elections based on local issues, OK "

Take a look at the option polls and the relative approval ratings, even a few labour politicians etc have started to speculate about starmers future,IF the public thought Boris et al were so bad none of the above would be as it is.

Preston

# Country, Deaths/

Other 1M pop

1 Hungary 3,080

3 Czechia 2,805

4 Gibraltar 2,791

5 San Marino 2,647

6 North Macedonia 2,586

7 Bulgaria 2,556

8 Montenegro 2,515

9 Slovakia 2,258

10 Belgium 2,140

11 Brazil 2,135

12 Slovenia 2,102

13 Italy 2,085

14 Peru 2,061

15 Croatia 1,958

16 Poland 1,945

17 UK 1,873

18 USA 1,826

19 Mexico 1,711

20 Spain 1,708

21 Colombia 1,688

22 Portugal 1,674

23 Argentina 1,671

24 France 1,669

25 Andorra 1,641

26 Romania 1,578

27 Lithuania 1,576

28 Liechtenstein 1,517

29 Moldova 1,515

30 Chile 1,502

31 Armenia 1,490

32 Panama 1,454

33 Sweden 1,419

34 Luxembourg 1,282

35 Latvia 1,263

36 Switzerland 1,240

37 Paraguay 1,220

38 Bolivia 1,211

39 Georgia 1,187

40 Austria 1,170

41 Uruguay 1,167

42 Greece 1,156

43 Ukraine 1,155

44 Ecuador 1,138

45 Lebanon 1,133

46 Germany 1,056

47 Tunisia 1,044

48 Netherlands 1,026

We're dangerously close to the Mitchel and Webb "kill the poor" sketch. .

Hello . The post made no reference to any political party . It was simply an attempt to make an objective analysis of the facts . It simply said that the UK had the 17 th highest death rate per million and posted in a table of deaths per million . "

Try just using plain clear uncomplicated data, pure death total is the issue here and we have the 4th highest death total for all countries in the entire world behind only the USA, India & Brazil while having a fraction of their populations.

bournemouth

So your "fact" was wrong so you exchange it, countries count deaths in different ways, countries have different metrics which will influence deaths etc. Have the government got things that they would change in hindsight yes of course but it's easy to sit on the sidelines and complain. The public dont seem to agree with you though

"So your "fact" was wrong so you exchange it, countries count deaths in different ways, countries have different metrics which will influence deaths etc. Have the government got things that they would change in hindsight yes of course but it's easy to sit on the sidelines and complain. The public dont seem to agree with you though "

In fairness the opposition, the WHO, doctors who study viral outbreaks, at the time criticised the government. It's nothing to do with hindsight.

Cambridge

# Country, Deaths/

Other 1M pop

1 Hungary 3,080

3 Czechia 2,805

4 Gibraltar 2,791

5 San Marino 2,647

6 North Macedonia 2,586

7 Bulgaria 2,556

8 Montenegro 2,515

9 Slovakia 2,258

10 Belgium 2,140

11 Brazil 2,135

12 Slovenia 2,102

13 Italy 2,085

14 Peru 2,061

15 Croatia 1,958

16 Poland 1,945

17 UK 1,873

18 USA 1,826

19 Mexico 1,711

20 Spain 1,708

21 Colombia 1,688

22 Portugal 1,674

23 Argentina 1,671

24 France 1,669

25 Andorra 1,641

26 Romania 1,578

27 Lithuania 1,576

28 Liechtenstein 1,517

29 Moldova 1,515

30 Chile 1,502

31 Armenia 1,490

32 Panama 1,454

33 Sweden 1,419

34 Luxembourg 1,282

35 Latvia 1,263

36 Switzerland 1,240

37 Paraguay 1,220

38 Bolivia 1,211

39 Georgia 1,187

40 Austria 1,170

41 Uruguay 1,167

42 Greece 1,156

43 Ukraine 1,155

44 Ecuador 1,138

45 Lebanon 1,133

46 Germany 1,056

47 Tunisia 1,044

48 Netherlands 1,026

Hello . The post made no reference to any political party . It was simply an attempt to make an objective analysis of the facts . It simply said that the UK had the 17 th highest death rate per million and posted in a table of deaths per million .

Try just using plain clear uncomplicated data, pure death total is the issue here and we have the 4th highest death total for all countries in the entire world behind only the USA, India & Brazil while having a fraction of their populations. "

However you also need to take into account other factors such as population density and how counties count . Our deaths are potentially overstated because we include those who died with Covid 19. That does not necessary mean that Covid 19 was the cause of death

Cambridge

"So your "fact" was wrong so you exchange it, countries count deaths in different ways, countries have different metrics which will influence deaths etc. Have the government got things that they would change in hindsight yes of course but it's easy to sit on the sidelines and complain. The public dont seem to agree with you though

In fairness the opposition, the WHO, doctors who study viral outbreaks, at the time criticised the government. It's nothing to do with hindsight.

"

. So what plan did the opposition have? If it was viable I am sure that rhe government would not have ignored it. ?

liverpool

# Country, Deaths/

Other 1M pop

1 Hungary 3,080

3 Czechia 2,805

4 Gibraltar 2,791

5 San Marino 2,647

6 North Macedonia 2,586

7 Bulgaria 2,556

8 Montenegro 2,515

9 Slovakia 2,258

10 Belgium 2,140

11 Brazil 2,135

12 Slovenia 2,102

13 Italy 2,085

14 Peru 2,061

15 Croatia 1,958

16 Poland 1,945

17 UK 1,873

18 USA 1,826

19 Mexico 1,711

20 Spain 1,708

21 Colombia 1,688

22 Portugal 1,674

23 Argentina 1,671

24 France 1,669

25 Andorra 1,641

26 Romania 1,578

27 Lithuania 1,576

28 Liechtenstein 1,517

29 Moldova 1,515

30 Chile 1,502

31 Armenia 1,490

32 Panama 1,454

33 Sweden 1,419

34 Luxembourg 1,282

35 Latvia 1,263

36 Switzerland 1,240

37 Paraguay 1,220

38 Bolivia 1,211

39 Georgia 1,187

40 Austria 1,170

41 Uruguay 1,167

42 Greece 1,156

43 Ukraine 1,155

44 Ecuador 1,138

45 Lebanon 1,133

46 Germany 1,056

47 Tunisia 1,044

48 Netherlands 1,026

We're dangerously close to the Mitchel and Webb "kill the poor" sketch. . Hello . The post made no reference to any political party . It was simply an attempt to make an objective analysis of the facts . It simply said that the UK had the 17 th highest death rate per million and posted in a table of deaths per million .

Bizarre that you think that it's a good thing to see the economic powerhouse of Ecuador having way less deaths than us.

As mentioned. The most Tory thing I've read on here. And seeing as we're in the epicenter of Tory. That's some praise. "

"So your "fact" was wrong so you exchange it, countries count deaths in different ways, countries have different metrics which will influence deaths etc. Have the government got things that they would change in hindsight yes of course but it's easy to sit on the sidelines and complain. The public dont seem to agree with you though

. So what plan did the opposition have? If it was viable I am sure that rhe government would not have ignored it. ? "

Feel free to look it up.

You're celebrating the UK having one of the highest death rates in the world.

I'm only picking fun at you, I am not silly enough to think there is an possibility of any reasoned debate.

. So what plan did the opposition have? If it was viable I am sure that rhe government would not have ignored it. ?

Feel free to look it up.

You're celebrating the UK having one of the highest death rates in the world.

I'm only picking fun at you, I am not silly enough to think there is an possibility of any reasoned debate. "

*Poking.

thornaby

# Country, Deaths/

Other 1M pop

1 Hungary 3,080

3 Czechia 2,805

4 Gibraltar 2,791

5 San Marino 2,647

6 North Macedonia 2,586

7 Bulgaria 2,556

8 Montenegro 2,515

9 Slovakia 2,258

10 Belgium 2,140

11 Brazil 2,135

12 Slovenia 2,102

13 Italy 2,085

14 Peru 2,061

15 Croatia 1,958

16 Poland 1,945

17 UK 1,873

18 USA 1,826

19 Mexico 1,711

20 Spain 1,708

21 Colombia 1,688

22 Portugal 1,674

23 Argentina 1,671

24 France 1,669

25 Andorra 1,641

26 Romania 1,578

27 Lithuania 1,576

28 Liechtenstein 1,517

29 Moldova 1,515

30 Chile 1,502

31 Armenia 1,490

32 Panama 1,454

33 Sweden 1,419

34 Luxembourg 1,282

35 Latvia 1,263

36 Switzerland 1,240

37 Paraguay 1,220

38 Bolivia 1,211

39 Georgia 1,187

40 Austria 1,170

41 Uruguay 1,167

42 Greece 1,156

43 Ukraine 1,155

44 Ecuador 1,138

45 Lebanon 1,133

46 Germany 1,056

47 Tunisia 1,044

48 Netherlands 1,026

Hello . The post made no reference to any political party . It was simply an attempt to make an objective analysis of the facts . It simply said that the UK had the 17 th highest death rate per million and posted in a table of deaths per million .

Try just using plain clear uncomplicated data, pure death total is the issue here and we have the 4th highest death total for all countries in the entire world behind only the USA, India & Brazil while having a fraction of their populations. However you also need to take into account other factors such as population density and how counties count . Our deaths are potentially overstated because we include those who died with Covid 19. That does not necessary mean that Covid 19 was the cause of death "

in a few years when all the numbers are crunched it be no where near the numbers it says now

liverpool

# Country, Deaths/

Other 1M pop

1 Hungary 3,080

3 Czechia 2,805

4 Gibraltar 2,791

5 San Marino 2,647

6 North Macedonia 2,586

7 Bulgaria 2,556

8 Montenegro 2,515

9 Slovakia 2,258

10 Belgium 2,140

11 Brazil 2,135

12 Slovenia 2,102

13 Italy 2,085

14 Peru 2,061

15 Croatia 1,958

16 Poland 1,945

17 UK 1,873

18 USA 1,826

19 Mexico 1,711

20 Spain 1,708

21 Colombia 1,688

22 Portugal 1,674

23 Argentina 1,671

24 France 1,669

25 Andorra 1,641

26 Romania 1,578

27 Lithuania 1,576

28 Liechtenstein 1,517

29 Moldova 1,515

30 Chile 1,502

31 Armenia 1,490

32 Panama 1,454

33 Sweden 1,419

34 Luxembourg 1,282

35 Latvia 1,263

36 Switzerland 1,240

37 Paraguay 1,220

38 Bolivia 1,211

39 Georgia 1,187

40 Austria 1,170

41 Uruguay 1,167

42 Greece 1,156

43 Ukraine 1,155

44 Ecuador 1,138

45 Lebanon 1,133

46 Germany 1,056

47 Tunisia 1,044

48 Netherlands 1,026

Try just using plain clear uncomplicated data, pure death total is the issue here and we have the 4th highest death total for all countries in the entire world behind only the USA, India & Brazil while having a fraction of their populations. However you also need to take into account other factors such as population density and how counties count . Our deaths are potentially overstated because we include those who died with Covid 19. That does not necessary mean that Covid 19 was the cause of death in a few years when all the numbers are crunched it be no where near the numbers it says now "

What are you basing that on?

Preston

"Our deaths are potentially overstated because we include those who died with Covid 19. That does not necessary mean that Covid 19 was the cause of death "

Very possible and it's very possible every other countries the same.

liverpool

"Our deaths are potentially overstated because we include those who died with Covid 19. That does not necessary mean that Covid 19 was the cause of death .

Very possible and it's very possible every other countries the same. "

I think the best excuse I heard was we have a totally unique climate ,which means more people are likely to catch it.

Yep cos presumably no other country on the planet has a lot of rain.

It's always quite amusing watching them come up with the most creative excuse for having an incompetent buffoon running a pandemic.

Manchester

# Country, Deaths/

Other 1M pop

1 Hungary 3,080

3 Czechia 2,805

4 Gibraltar 2,791

5 San Marino 2,647

6 North Macedonia 2,586

7 Bulgaria 2,556

8 Montenegro 2,515

9 Slovakia 2,258

10 Belgium 2,140

11 Brazil 2,135

12 Slovenia 2,102

13 Italy 2,085

14 Peru 2,061

15 Croatia 1,958

16 Poland 1,945

17 UK 1,873

18 USA 1,826

19 Mexico 1,711

20 Spain 1,708

21 Colombia 1,688

22 Portugal 1,674

23 Argentina 1,671

24 France 1,669

25 Andorra 1,641

26 Romania 1,578

27 Lithuania 1,576

28 Liechtenstein 1,517

29 Moldova 1,515

30 Chile 1,502

31 Armenia 1,490

32 Panama 1,454

33 Sweden 1,419

34 Luxembourg 1,282

35 Latvia 1,263

36 Switzerland 1,240

37 Paraguay 1,220

38 Bolivia 1,211

39 Georgia 1,187

40 Austria 1,170

41 Uruguay 1,167

42 Greece 1,156

43 Ukraine 1,155

44 Ecuador 1,138

45 Lebanon 1,133

46 Germany 1,056

47 Tunisia 1,044

48 Netherlands 1,026

We're dangerously close to the Mitchel and Webb "kill the poor" sketch. . Hello . The post made no reference to any political party . It was simply an attempt to make an objective analysis of the facts . It simply said that the UK had the 17 th highest death rate per million and posted in a table of deaths per million . "

Then extract rich western countries and we are third behind Belgium and Italy. Let’s open that champagne as we’ve got on the podium., medals all around! !

Manchester

"So your "fact" was wrong so you exchange it, countries count deaths in different ways, countries have different metrics which will influence deaths etc. Have the government got things that they would change in hindsight yes of course but it's easy to sit on the sidelines and complain. The public dont seem to agree with you though "

So our death toll could be much higher and more in line with the total U.K. death increase? Yes it’s possible.

bournemouth

So our death toll could be much higher and more in line with the total U.K. death increase? Yes it’s possible. "

Yes totally possible up or down, as of course are other countries figures, let's face it who believes China's figures.

Manchester

. So what plan did the opposition have? If it was viable I am sure that rhe government would not have ignored it. ? "

Boris delayed the requested first lockdown, delayed closing the borders and pushed back on the second lockdown saying he’d prefer bodies piled high so I think that helped us up the charts. He wanted to win didn’t he,

Bet he’s delighted he delayed an extra three weeks before stopping Indian flights. He knew it would get us further up that league table. He’s definitely right there judging by the Indian variant running rampant.

Manchester

So our death toll could be much higher and more in line with the total U.K. death increase? Yes it’s possible.

Yes totally possible up or down, as of course are other countries figures, let's face it who believes China's figures."

I agree China is bollocks. I don’t agree our numbers will be less. I believe they will probably be more than stated.

Our government has a reputation for manipulating statistics.

Cambridge

"Our deaths are potentially overstated because we include those who died with Covid 19. That does not necessary mean that Covid 19 was the cause of death .

Very possible and it's very possible every other countries the same. "

From the BBC website

Statisticians warn against using reported deaths alone to compare countries.

Not all countries report deaths in the same way and so more reported deaths could mean better reporting systems or more testing as well as more deaths.

And so experts also advise looking at the total number of deaths, and may attribute any sharp rises to the pandemic.

Poland saw a very sharp rise in deaths in their winter wave but only some of the rise was captured in their official reported Covid deaths (the red area in the chart below)

Cambridge

Boris delayed the requested first lockdown, delayed closing the borders and pushed back on the second lockdown saying he’d prefer bodies piled high so I think that helped us up the charts. He wanted to win didn’t he,

Bet he’s delighted he delayed an extra three weeks before stopping Indian flights. He knew it would get us further up that league table. He’s definitely right there judging by the Indian variant running rampant. "

However we could all make the right decisions with the benefit of hindsight You can only make decisions based on information available at a particular point in time and you have very little time to assess the impact . We could all make the right decisions after the event or win the lottery if we were given the chance to reselect our numbers

Bet he’s delighted he delayed an extra three weeks before stopping Indian flights. He knew it would get us further up that league table. He’s definitely right there judging by the Indian variant running rampant. However we could all make the right decisions with the benefit of hindsight You can only make decisions based on information available at a particular point in time and you have very little time to assess the impact . We could all make the right decisions after the event or win the lottery if we were given the chance to reselect our numbers "

Shame Boris didn't listen to the scientific advice at the time and listen to the WHO.

It would make this blatant kind of nonsense easier for people who aren't paying attention to believe.

liverpool

Bet he’s delighted he delayed an extra three weeks before stopping Indian flights. He knew it would get us further up that league table. He’s definitely right there judging by the Indian variant running rampant. However we could all make the right decisions with the benefit of hindsight You can only make decisions based on information available at a particular point in time and you have very little time to assess the impact . We could all make the right decisions after the event or win the lottery if we were given the chance to reselect our numbers

Shame Boris didn't listen to the scientific advice at the time and listen to the WHO.

It would make this blatant kind of nonsense easier for people who aren't paying attention to believe. "

Quite how the decisions made over Christmas..made..what?9 months into the pandemic?.count as 'hindsight'is anyones guess.

Preston

Bet he’s delighted he delayed an extra three weeks before stopping Indian flights. He knew it would get us further up that league table. He’s definitely right there judging by the Indian variant running rampant. However we could all make the right decisions with the benefit of hindsight You can only make decisions based on information available at a particular point in time and you have very little time to assess the impact . We could all make the right decisions after the event or win the lottery if we were given the chance to reselect our numbers "

Hindsight doesn't even come into play. The errors were highlighted at the time yet were ignored by the government.

Manchester

Rubbish in the case of India. We knew weeks in advance and the India numbers were worse than Bangladesh snd Pakistan and yet their flights were banned already.

I believe this was related to the trade deal talks snd they didn’t want to upset the Indians.

They still didn’t impose an immediate ban and after the ban was introduced for a least two weeks Indians arrived by third countries. I personally witnessed arrivals with transfer baggage so they didn’t even stay in the third country to try and hide the fact.

The variant is now suspected to account for 75% of cases.

No hindsight was needed just action and none was taken in time.

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

Bet he’s delighted he delayed an extra three weeks before stopping Indian flights. He knew it would get us further up that league table. He’s definitely right there judging by the Indian variant running rampant. However we could all make the right decisions with the benefit of hindsight You can only make decisions based on information available at a particular point in time and you have very little time to assess the impact . We could all make the right decisions after the event or win the lottery if we were given the chance to reselect our numbers

Rubbish in the case of India. We knew weeks in advance and the India numbers were worse than Bangladesh snd Pakistan and yet their flights were banned already.

I believe this was related to the trade deal talks snd they didn’t want to upset the Indians.

They still didn’t impose an immediate ban and after the ban was introduced for a least two weeks Indians arrived by third countries. I personally witnessed arrivals with transfer baggage so they didn’t even stay in the third country to try and hide the fact.

No hindsight was needed just action and none was taken in time. "

I agree. The Goverment got that wrong but blame should also be attached to those that circumnavigated the rules knowingly. And I include certain UK based travel agents, that willingly facilitated return through third countries, in that blame.

Manchester

No hindsight was needed just action and none was taken in time.

I agree. The Goverment got that wrong but blame should also be attached to those that circumnavigated the rules knowingly. And I include certain UK based travel agents, that willingly facilitated return through third countries, in that blame. "

Can’t argue with that .

liverpool

No hindsight was needed just action and none was taken in time. "

They also lied about when they knew about the variant and decided to close the borders

» Add a new message to this topic