FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > the role of the media

the role of the media

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *usybee73 OP   Man  over a year ago

in the sticks

watching all the crap with cummings and noticed how things are being whipped up by the ever changing media ...

when cummings went off for sight test he was bashed by the media

then the prodigal son returns to the lime light and hailed as the most honest man on the planet ....

no wonder the general public are losing interest in whats going on

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

"watching all the crap with cummings and noticed how things are being whipped up by the ever changing media ...

then the prodigal son returns to the lime light and hailed as the most honest man on the planet ....

no wonder the general public are losing interest in whats going on "

Not 1 person has hailed him as the most honest person on the planet.

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

Anyone else notice that when Dominic Cummings cut himself off from the media, he was still briefing one journalist.... Laura Kuensberg!

By *renzMan  over a year ago

Between Chichester and Havant

Which is why you should never read just one paper, or listen to one news channel to get an unbiased view. Which is very difficult, as most have an agenda or opinion. It is truly difficult to be totally unbiased.

liverpool

"Anyone else notice that when Dominic Cummings cut himself off from the media, he was still briefing one journalist.... Laura Kuensberg! "

Thought the bbc was left wing?

By *ackal1Couple  over a year ago

Manchester

The fishermen protesting in Jersey was almost tantamount to a declaration of war in our newspapers. In France it hardly created a murmur.

Nationalism whipping up ridiculous hysteria is typical of the UK press .

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"The fishermen protesting in Jersey was almost tantamount to a declaration of war in our newspapers. In France it hardly created a murmur.

Nationalism whipping up ridiculous hysteria is typical of the UK press . "

The media play a huge role in what goes on in the country. I find it very interesting.

All the newspapers, news sites and TV channels have an agenda or a bias.

I'm not sure watching a variety of them, as suggested above, is the full answer.

I think it needs to be a part of education, how to analyse the news you're recieving. Who published it and who are they owned by, what else have they published, who is the author, what else have they written, what agenda could they be promoting, can the claims be referenced.

Judging by some of the threads on here. These skills are lacking in some.

I suspect that the political and educational system is not in favour of teaching kids how to analyse their news, media and information.

By *oxychick35Couple  over a year ago

thornaby

"The fishermen protesting in Jersey was almost tantamount to a declaration of war in our newspapers. In France it hardly created a murmur.

The media play a huge role in what goes on in the country. I find it very interesting.

I'm not sure watching a variety of them, as suggested above, is the full answer.

I think it needs to be a part of education, how to analyse the news you're recieving. Who published it and who are they owned by, what else have they published, who is the author, what else have they written, what agenda could they be promoting, can the claims be referenced.

I suspect that the political and educational system is not in favour of teaching kids how to analyse their news, media and information. "

aw ok so go to work come home and do all that every day and fuck having a life then lol

I suspect that the political and educational system is not in favour of teaching kids how to analyse their news, media and information. aw ok so go to work come home and do all that every day and fuck having a life then lol"

Takes a couple of minutes.

Surely it's better to understand what you're being told, who's telling you it, why they have this bias and what their agenda could be?

Or are you happy believing any rhubarb that any Tom, Dick or Harry tells you?

thornaby

I suspect that the political and educational system is not in favour of teaching kids how to analyse their news, media and information. aw ok so go to work come home and do all that every day and fuck having a life then lol

Surely it's better to understand what you're being told, who's telling you it, why they have this bias and what their agenda could be?

Or are you happy believing any rhubarb that any Tom, Dick or Harry tells you?"

i just wach the news channels like most mate I just have t got the time or the want tbh

I suspect that the political and educational system is not in favour of teaching kids how to analyse their news, media and information. aw ok so go to work come home and do all that every day and fuck having a life then lol

Or are you happy believing any rhubarb that any Tom, Dick or Harry tells you?i just wach the news channels like most mate I just have t got the time or the want tbh "

Yeah this is what I'm saying.

I think we're in agreement.

I'm saying that if kids were taught at school to understand the news and information they consumed. Then it would be much harder to lie to, and misdirect.

I think we're in agreement about the subject. You just don't give a fuck about it and can't be arsed to figure out if you're being lied to or not. Which is fair enough, each to their own.

thornaby

Or are you happy believing any rhubarb that any Tom, Dick or Harry tells you?i just wach the news channels like most mate I just have t got the time or the want tbh

I'm saying that if kids were taught at school to understand the news and information they consumed. Then it would be much harder to lie to, and misdirect.

I think we're in agreement about the subject. You just don't give a fuck about it and can't be arsed to figure out if you're being lied to or not. Which is fair enough, each to their own."

okies lol I just take in all the news and make my mind up like most and I think kids have enough to get through at school now tbh kids have lives aswell or they should have

Or are you happy believing any rhubarb that any Tom, Dick or Harry tells you?i just wach the news channels like most mate I just have t got the time or the want tbh

I think we're in agreement about the subject. You just don't give a fuck about it and can't be arsed to figure out if you're being lied to or not. Which is fair enough, each to their own.okies lol I just take in all the news and make my mind up like most and I think kids have enough to get through at school now tbh kids have lives aswell or they should have "

Not sure why you're equating, teaching kids important lessons in school with then needing to have a life. But okay. We have different opinions there.

By *bernathCouple  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

Dom Cummings lost all credibility when he took that trip. I think it is safe to say nobody was interested to say about the early days of the pandemic, because if he could lie about testing his eyesight, what stops him from lying to make sure he doesn’t get blamed along side his former colleagues, am I right?

By *entlemanrogueMan  over a year ago

Motherwell

"watching all the crap with cummings and noticed how things are being whipped up by the ever changing media ...

no wonder the general public are losing interest in whats going on "

Lost interest in the, poparity contest that is politics looooong ago.

election after election a bigger more dangerous fool is boted into wm anf I am supposed to think this is good or even that elections are real hahaha. madness.

By *ockdownerMan  over a year ago

Preston

Nationalism whipping up ridiculous hysteria is typical of the UK press . "

Because the unwashed masses fall for it

The role of the media is mass propaganda to push the government's and world elite's narrative through carefully scripted announcements.

The media is owned by just a few corporations.

thornaby

I think we're in agreement about the subject. You just don't give a fuck about it and can't be arsed to figure out if you're being lied to or not. Which is fair enough, each to their own.okies lol I just take in all the news and make my mind up like most and I think kids have enough to get through at school now tbh kids have lives aswell or they should have

Not sure why you're equating, teaching kids important lessons in school with then needing to have a life. But okay. We have different opinions there. "

well which lessons would you drop to make room then ?

I think we're in agreement about the subject. You just don't give a fuck about it and can't be arsed to figure out if you're being lied to or not. Which is fair enough, each to their own.okies lol I just take in all the news and make my mind up like most and I think kids have enough to get through at school now tbh kids have lives aswell or they should have

Not sure why you're equating, teaching kids important lessons in school with then needing to have a life. But okay. We have different opinions there. well which lessons would you drop to make room then ?"

Just incorporate it into existing classes, history, science, geography etc. This is a basic skill we're talking about.

Not sure why you're so opposed to the idea of a good education and helping kids gain important life skills.

You have every right to be proud about not caring that the media are manipulating and lying. But no idea why it upsets you that others might want to understand how the media works, and what they're being told. Do you really want the country only to have people who mindlessly believe everything they're told, I'm guessing not.

thornaby

Not sure why you're equating, teaching kids important lessons in school with then needing to have a life. But okay. We have different opinions there. well which lessons would you drop to make room then ?

Just incorporate it into existing classes, history, science, geography etc. This is a basic skill we're talking about.

Not sure why you're so opposed to the idea of a good education and helping kids gain important life skills.

You have every right to be proud about not caring that the media are manipulating and lying. But no idea why it upsets you that others might want to understand how the media works, and what they're being told. Do you really want the country only to have people who mindlessly believe everything they're told, I'm guessing not. "

ffs where did I say I’m opposed or upset lol yr on the drink early

liverpool

I suspect that the political and educational system is not in favour of teaching kids how to analyse their news, media and information. "

Spot on

The media play a huge role in this country

I suspect that the political and educational system is not in favour of teaching kids how to analyse their news, media and information.

Spot on

The media play a huge role in this country "

Yes, but it's not always 'major media outlets', social media has a big part to play with misinformation, which many take as gospel. Look how quickly something spreads whether true or not. Education is needed, not to take everything at face value. Something that could be included in computer studies or whatever the current studies are now. Physics in my day. Then maybe just maybe that will feed into other media too.

By *usybee73 OP   Man  over a year ago

in the sticks

Spot on

Yes, but it's not always 'major media outlets', social media has a big part to play with misinformation, which many take as gospel. Look how quickly something spreads whether true or not. Education is needed, not to take everything at face value. Something that could be included in computer studies or whatever the current studies are now. Physics in my day. Then maybe just maybe that will feed into other media too."

That won't happen as in education, don't query and accept authority

liverpool

Spot on

Yes, but it's not always 'major media outlets', social media has a big part to play with misinformation, which many take as gospel. Look how quickly something spreads whether true or not. Education is needed, not to take everything at face value. Something that could be included in computer studies or whatever the current studies are now. Physics in my day. Then maybe just maybe that will feed into other media too."

I think it's no surprise that they only time we have had a labour gmnt in the last 40 years, was when Murdoch switched his support.

Although technology may have changed with social media ,the established media have a strong hold.

I think however kids should be taught to challenge what they read and I also think politics should be taught at school

Spot on

Yes, but it's not always 'major media outlets', social media has a big part to play with misinformation, which many take as gospel. Look how quickly something spreads whether true or not. Education is needed, not to take everything at face value. Something that could be included in computer studies or whatever the current studies are now. Physics in my day. Then maybe just maybe that will feed into other media too.

I think it's no surprise that they only time we have had a labour gmnt in the last 40 years, was when Murdoch switched his support.

Although technology may have changed with social media ,the established media have a strong hold.

I think however kids should be taught to challenge what they read and I also think politics should be taught at school

"

I my opinion, being able to think critically about what you're being told in the news, on social media, by a bloke in the pub - is a vital life skill.

I'm not certain that there is any appetite in our government, or indeed in any government, to do this though. They like people to be unquestioning and compliant.

Spot on

I my opinion, being able to think critically about what you're being told in the news, on social media, by a bloke in the pub - is a vital life skill.

I'm not certain that there is any appetite in our government, or indeed in any government, to do this though. They like people to be unquestioning and compliant. "

But you don't or shouldn't need to be told by the government or taught, (after all teachers aren't impartial) to be free thinking.

Is it the mind numbing blandness of being too attached to our screens that allow us to be manipulated?

After all Google is watching you! MS and Apple too.

We believe what we want to believe. The majority just don't question what they read or are told, that's what needs to change.

By *uliaChrisCouple  over a year ago

westerham

If your someone whose complaint is that the voters are thick, you shouldn't be surprised if they don't vote the way you think they should.

Spot on

I'm not certain that there is any appetite in our government, or indeed in any government, to do this though. They like people to be unquestioning and compliant.

But you don't or shouldn't need to be told by the government or taught, (after all teachers aren't impartial) to be free thinking.

Is it the mind numbing blandness of being too attached to our screens that allow us to be manipulated?

We believe what we want to believe. The majority just don't question what they read or are told, that's what needs to change. "

It's not so much about being free thinking. It's a lack of critical thinking.

Education on how to be critical, is just my opinion as part of the solution. Personal responsibility is important too.

Shouldn't matter if the teachers aren't impartial. If the kids can think critically.

westerham

Spot on

We believe what we want to believe. The majority just don't question what they read or are told, that's what needs to change.

Education on how to be critical, is just my opinion as part of the solution. Personal responsibility is important too.

Shouldn't matter if the teachers aren't impartial. If the kids can think critically."

Said unironically...

Spot on

Shouldn't matter if the teachers aren't impartial. If the kids can think critically."

It does matter if the teachers aren't impartial, because they can teach with an agenda. As someone who has had three kids come through the state education system, I can vouch that some teachers, not all, some teach with an agenda.

Spot on

Shouldn't matter if the teachers aren't impartial. If the kids can think critically.

It does matter if the teachers aren't impartial, because they can teach with an agenda. As someone who has had three kids come through the state education system, I can vouch that some teachers, not all, some teach with an agenda.

"

Okay, I get your point.

But I mean for teaching kids how to think critically. That's what I think is lacking.

That would help kids to deal with teachers who aren't impartial, and then the media etc.

By *ealthy_and_HungMan  over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

which media? print media, publishing, the news media, photography, cinema, broadcasting (radio and television), digital media, advertising, social, the arts, music, gaming etc ?

By *ackal1Couple  over a year ago

Manchester

Spot on

Okay, I get your point.

But I mean for teaching kids how to think critically. That's what I think is lacking.

That would help kids to deal with teachers who aren't impartial, and then the media etc."

It’s also why religious schools should be banned!! I include C of E in that ban.

By *ebbie69Couple  over a year ago

milton keynes

Checking the stories is indeed very important and going on the facts as opposed to rumour.Also reading all of the article and not just the headlines which are designed to get you reading. Not dismissing a story just because it comes from a source you do not particularly like or because it does not support your narrative

Spot on

Okay, I get your point.

That would help kids to deal with teachers who aren't impartial, and then the media etc.

It’s also why religious schools should be banned!! I include C of E in that ban. "

Teaching religion as if it's real (as opposed to teaching a out world religions), is not compatible with teaching critical thinking. In my opinion.

"which media? print media, publishing, the news media, photography, cinema, broadcasting (radio and television), digital media, advertising, social, the arts, music, gaming etc ? "

All of the above should be viewed through a critical eye/ear.

westerham

"which media? print media, publishing, the news media, photography, cinema, broadcasting (radio and television), digital media, advertising, social, the arts, music, gaming etc ?

All of the above should be viewed through a critical eye/ear."

Right up until the kids come up with the answer you consider correct lol.

Or maybe, with a bit of critical thinking, kids will appreciate the glory of the Empire, enjoy the privileges of a Nation State, and have a world view beyond Brussels

"which media? print media, publishing, the news media, photography, cinema, broadcasting (radio and television), digital media, advertising, social, the arts, music, gaming etc ?

Or maybe, with a bit of critical thinking, kids will appreciate the glory of the Empire, enjoy the privileges of a Nation State, and have a world view beyond Brussels "

Thanks.

This is an excellent example of the point I'm making.

westerham

Or maybe, with a bit of critical thinking, kids will appreciate the glory of the Empire, enjoy the privileges of a Nation State, and have a world view beyond Brussels

Thanks.

This is an excellent example of the point I'm making. "

Thanks, I’m known for my deep thought.

Unfortunately everyone is biased. Everyone has an opinion, a view, are critical, some have an agenda to influence and more.

It is really down to the individual to make sure they are not being duped into believing something that isn't true. But many just take it as gospel.

"Unfortunately everyone is biased. Everyone has an opinion, a view, are critical, some have an agenda to influence and more.

It is really down to the individual to make sure they are not being duped into believing something that isn't true. But many just take it as gospel."

I agree. But evidence suggests that some people are either unable it unwilling to think critically about what's presented to them in the media.

I still think it would be beneficial to give school kids these kind of tools, and teach them the thirst for knowledge.

*unable or unwilling...

"Which is why you should never read just one paper, or listen to one news channel to get an unbiased view. Which is very difficult, as most have an agenda or opinion. It is truly difficult to be totally unbiased."

And most ‘news’ is cut and pasted from News International. Few independent journalist anymore

liverpool

For evidence of the influence of the media look no further than the children thread.

"Which is why you should never read just one paper, or listen to one news channel to get an unbiased view. Which is very difficult, as most have an agenda or opinion. It is truly difficult to be totally unbiased.

And most ‘news’ is cut and pasted from News International. Few independent journalist anymore "

That's very true. But each newspaper, media outlet will rewrite it with their own slant/political bias/agenda. You can see the same story rewritten six times but with various slants etc.

Or the same story published with exactly the same wording. Tends to be only be contentious stories that are remodelled ( I hesitate to say rewritten )

By *coptoCouple  over a year ago

Côte d'Azur & Great Yarmouth

Milton Friedman: "There is one, and only one, social responsibility of business - to use its resources and engage in activities designed to increase its profits [i.e. profits to its shareholders] so long as it stays within the rules of the game, which is to say, engages in open and free competition without deception or fraud"

Simples, but in the case of today's media I'm not so sure the last bit is still applicable. The public doesn't even realise it's being manipulated by clever propaganda using subtleties such as "the jobless (perceived as being poor sods, could be you or I made redundant)" and "the unemployed (lazy bastards)"; "disabled (suffered a misfortune)" and "handicapped (useless)" etc.

liverpool

"Milton Friedman: "There is one, and only one, social responsibility of business - to use its resources and engage in activities designed to increase its profits [i.e. profits to its shareholders] so long as it stays within the rules of the game, which is to say, engages in open and free competition without deception or fraud"

Simples, but in the case of today's media I'm not so sure the last bit is still applicable. The public doesn't even realise it's being manipulated by clever propaganda using subtleties such as "the jobless (perceived as being poor sods, could be you or I made redundant)" and "the unemployed (lazy bastards)"; "disabled (suffered a misfortune)" and "handicapped (useless)" etc."

I think people do realise, they just dont care.

People need scapegoats who are easy to blame..immigrants, scroungers ,the eu..the gmnt and media play upto this.

thornaby

"Milton Friedman: "There is one, and only one, social responsibility of business - to use its resources and engage in activities designed to increase its profits [i.e. profits to its shareholders] so long as it stays within the rules of the game, which is to say, engages in open and free competition without deception or fraud"

Simples, but in the case of today's media I'm not so sure the last bit is still applicable. The public doesn't even realise it's being manipulated by clever propaganda using subtleties such as "the jobless (perceived as being poor sods, could be you or I made redundant)" and "the unemployed (lazy bastards)"; "disabled (suffered a misfortune)" and "handicapped (useless)" etc.

I think people do realise, they just dont care.

People need scapegoats who are easy to blame..immigrants, scroungers ,the eu..the gmnt and media play upto this."

wow so now you speak for the people Lionel lol

» Add a new message to this topic