FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Boris getting married

Boris getting married

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

You have to hand it to the man. His timing is perfect. Just when the rat Dominic Cummings is telling us how screwed up the government were at the beginning and throughput the crisis and questions need answering etc, Boris gets married in secret so all of a sudden the papers change from attacking him to congratulations etc. You really can't make it up. Especially when he told the nation it won't be until July 2022.Well done Boris.Breathing space for a while. But really just delaying answers which everybody wants answering. Top bloke.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *heshbifellaMan  over a year ago

Crewe

What's wrong with them getting married precisely when they want? Congrats I say. They're under no obligation to tell you or 'the nation' - only the limited people who needed to know. It would have been in the planning for months, musicians, officials at Westminster etc. The idea he cooked it up this week to overshadow this week's headlines is daft. Politicians can't win. I remember people saying Tony Blair was burying bad news by having son Leo in office. It takes 9 months to make a baby!

By *aulupforitMan  over a year ago

Tynemouth

No one tells a lie like a dude with a tie

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

"What's wrong with them getting married precisely when they want? Congrats I say. They're under no obligation to tell you or 'the nation' - only the limited people who needed to know. It would have been in the planning for months, musicians, officials at Westminster etc. The idea he cooked it up this week to overshadow this week's headlines is daft. Politicians can't win. I remember people saying Tony Blair was burying bad news by having son Leo in office. It takes 9 months to make a baby!

No I agree and take my hat off to the man. A great piece of politics. Deflecting the shot as they saw. Now comes the argument how a twice divorced man gets to marry in a Cathalic church but that is another story.

"

Crewe

[Removed by poster at 30/05/21 15:51:04]

Crewe

"No one tells a lie like a dude with a tie"

Never seen the absurd Dominic Cummings in a tie

Quite a few would like to see something round his neck for the Barnard Castle affair mind

I would not possibly condone that of course

By *entlemanrogueMan  over a year ago

Motherwell

No idea why he married ,her, 100% sure she married him for £££££

By *arlomaleMan  over a year ago

darlington

"No idea why he married ,her, 100% sure she married him for £££££"
or perhaps they love each other and are a good fit for each other

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"No idea why he married ,her, 100% sure she married him for £££££ or perhaps they love each other and are a good fit for each other "

Lolz

By *isandhers691127Couple  over a year ago

Bournemouth

Wonder if his blonde IT consultant was invited.

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

"Wonder if his blonde IT consultant was invited."

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

Well at least we won’t have anymore threads about who paid for the wallpaper?

But now who paid for the marquee instead.

By *ebbie69Couple  over a year ago

milton keynes

"You have to hand it to the man. His timing is perfect. Just when the rat Dominic Cummings is telling us how screwed up the government were at the beginning and throughput the crisis and questions need answering etc, Boris gets married in secret so all of a sudden the papers change from attacking him to congratulations etc. You really can't make it up. Especially when he told the nation it won't be until July 2022.Well done Boris.Breathing space for a while. But really just delaying answers which everybody wants answering. Top bloke.

"

I guess if your wanting to have a private wedding then telling the entire nation when it will be is not a great idea

liverpool

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/may/30/boris-johnson-carrie-symmonds-married-catcholic-church

milton keynes

"https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/may/30/boris-johnson-carrie-symmonds-married-catcholic-church"

Oh a Catholic wedding - sounds great. Bit longer but they are very nice indeed

Motherwell

I find it strange that he would both christen his child and marry in a catholic church, when ctholics are not allowed to become the prime minister.

By *ax777Man  over a year ago

Not here

"I find it strange that he would both christen his child and marry in a catholic church, when ctholics are not allowed to become the prime minister.

"

I’m not sure that you are correct in saying that a catholic can not become PM.

I also believe Cherie Blair was a Catholic and her children were raised as Catholics when Tony was PM.

Motherwell

"I find it strange that he would both christen his child and marry in a catholic church, when ctholics are not allowed to become the prime minister.

I also believe Cherie Blair was a Catholic and her children were raised as Catholics when Tony was PM."

Tony Blair had to wait until after he left the PM role to become Catholic.

It is the only religion that is not allowed to be PM or the monarch.

Google it, and dont believe that May was a catholic, like they try to pretend, she was Not a roman catholic.

Bojo is thrilled to be married to princess nutnut, he's looking forward to his new mistress n baby mama.

milton keynes

I also believe Cherie Blair was a Catholic and her children were raised as Catholics when Tony was PM.

Google it, and dont believe that May was a catholic, like they try to pretend, she was Not a roman catholic."

I googled it and results say a Catholic can be PM. The only stipulation being someone else in government (non Catholic) has to take the role of advising the monarch on any matters to do with the church. There are rules for the monarch to as they are head of the church of England though not sure if that is still in place

By *uliaChrisCouple  over a year ago

westerham

Google it, and dont believe that May was a catholic, like they try to pretend, she was Not a roman catholic."

It’s not 1648 you know

By *eavenNhellCouple  over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

"No idea why he married ,her, 100% sure she married him for £££££"
she cannot be compelled to testify against him now they are married very conveniant for any up coming enquiery

Not here

I’m well aware that Blair waited until after he’s was PM to convert to Catholicism ( although he attended mass whilst PM). The point I’m making is that his wife was a practicing Catholic, his children were practicing Catholics attending church schools whilst he was PM and without resorting to Google I would imagine he was married in a Catholic Church. So no different to Johnson!

It’s strange that a divorced person can be married in a Catholic Church so long as the wedding was before he converted but a lifelong Catholic cannot.

Genuine question- does that mean a wedding outwith the faith deemed not a union?

Motherwell

Something i found online, there was more bit it is a boring enough read as it is. turnes out Bojo was a Roman Catholic then switched.

From.24/07/19

Today is the Feast Day of St Boris (really). And today Boris Johnson kisses hands with the Queen (not the hand of the Queen) to become the 55th person to hold the office of Prime Minister of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. He is also the first baptised Roman Catholic in history to do so. The Catholic Relief Act 1829 permitted members of the Roman Catholic Church to sit in Parliament and hold government office, but it still made ascent to Number 10 nigh impossible, given Section 18:

18 No Roman Catholic to advise the Crown in the appointment to offices in the established church.

It shall not be lawful for any person professing the Roman Catholic religion directly or indirectly to advise his Majesty, or any person or persons holding or exercising the office of guardians of the United Kingdom, or of regent of the United Kingdom, under whatever name, style, or title such office may be constituted, or the lord lieutenant of Ireland, touching or concerning the appointment to or disposal of any office or preferment in the Church of England, or in the Church of Scotland; and if any such person shall offend in the premises he shall, being thereof convicted by due course of law, be deemed guilty of a high misdemeanor, and disabled for ever from holding any office, civil or military, under the Crown.

It was (and would remain) an ecclesial-political absurdity to have a Roman Catholic Prime Minister advising the Monarch (and so appointing) Church of England Bishops: ecumenical relations are not quite so advanced as to nullify Article XXXVII: ‘The bishop of Rome has no jurisdiction in this realm of England’; not even vicariously through his servant in No.10.

Of course a fudge might always have been found, but since 2008 when Gordon Brown amended (indeed, weakened) the constitutional relationship between the Church of England and the Executive, the Prime Minister and other ministers are no longer advisers, and consequently conduit, to the Crown where the Church of England is concerned: it is now the task of the Crown Nominations Commission to submit the name of a preferred candidate (and a second appointable candidate) to the Prime Minster, who is constitutionally responsible for tendering that advice directly to the Queen. This is no longer the Prime Minister’s advice, but that of the CNC: the Prime Minister’s role has been reduced to that of a postbox. Basically, the Crown Nominations Commissions is advising the Crown; ie, the Crown is advising the Crown. The Prime Minister no longer possesses the unfettered right to advise on ecclesiastical appointments, and so a crucial constitutional ‘check’ or democratic ‘balance’ has been lost (and, indeed, a theological one).

And so Gordon Brown made it a lot easier for a Roman Catholic to become Prime Minister.

Boris Johnson may have been baptised a Catholic, but he was confirmed into the Church of England during his years at Eton. While the Church of England would recognise the baptism, the Roman Catholic Church would view acceptance into the Church of England as an abandonment of the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church, for Anglican orders are “absolutely null and utterly void“, and the Church of England is not a church “in the proper sense“; merely an “ecclesial community”. Boris Johnson is Roman Catholic in a CofE kind of way. If he were as orthodox as Jacob Rees-Mogg (“I take my whip from the hierarchy of the Roman Catholic Church rather than the Whip’s Office”), his faith would almost certainly be a political impediment to holding the office.

Not here

"Something i found online, there was more bit it is a boring enough read as it is. turnes out Bojo was a Roman Catholic then switched.

From.24/07/19

Today is the Feast Day of St Boris (really). And today Boris Johnson kisses hands with the Queen (not the hand of the Queen) to become the 55th person to hold the office of Prime Minister of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. He is also the first baptised Roman Catholic in history to do so. The Catholic Relief Act 1829 permitted members of the Roman Catholic Church to sit in Parliament and hold government office, but it still made ascent to Number 10 nigh impossible, given Section 18:

18 No Roman Catholic to advise the Crown in the appointment to offices in the established church.

It shall not be lawful for any person professing the Roman Catholic religion directly or indirectly to advise his Majesty, or any person or persons holding or exercising the office of guardians of the United Kingdom, or of regent of the United Kingdom, under whatever name, style, or title such office may be constituted, or the lord lieutenant of Ireland, touching or concerning the appointment to or disposal of any office or preferment in the Church of England, or in the Church of Scotland; and if any such person shall offend in the premises he shall, being thereof convicted by due course of law, be deemed guilty of a high misdemeanor, and disabled for ever from holding any office, civil or military, under the Crown.

It was (and would remain) an ecclesial-political absurdity to have a Roman Catholic Prime Minister advising the Monarch (and so appointing) Church of England Bishops: ecumenical relations are not quite so advanced as to nullify Article XXXVII: ‘The bishop of Rome has no jurisdiction in this realm of England’; not even vicariously through his servant in No.10.

Of course a fudge might always have been found, but since 2008 when Gordon Brown amended (indeed, weakened) the constitutional relationship between the Church of England and the Executive, the Prime Minister and other ministers are no longer advisers, and consequently conduit, to the Crown where the Church of England is concerned: it is now the task of the Crown Nominations Commission to submit the name of a preferred candidate (and a second appointable candidate) to the Prime Minster, who is constitutionally responsible for tendering that advice directly to the Queen. This is no longer the Prime Minister’s advice, but that of the CNC: the Prime Minister’s role has been reduced to that of a postbox. Basically, the Crown Nominations Commissions is advising the Crown; ie, the Crown is advising the Crown. The Prime Minister no longer possesses the unfettered right to advise on ecclesiastical appointments, and so a crucial constitutional ‘check’ or democratic ‘balance’ has been lost (and, indeed, a theological one).

And so Gordon Brown made it a lot easier for a Roman Catholic to become Prime Minister.

Boris Johnson may have been baptised a Catholic, but he was confirmed into the Church of England during his years at Eton. While the Church of England would recognise the baptism, the Roman Catholic Church would view acceptance into the Church of England as an abandonment of the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church, for Anglican orders are “absolutely null and utterly void“, and the Church of England is not a church “in the proper sense“; merely an “ecclesial community”. Boris Johnson is Roman Catholic in a CofE kind of way. If he were as orthodox as Jacob Rees-Mogg (“I take my whip from the hierarchy of the Roman Catholic Church rather than the Whip’s Office”), his faith would almost certainly be a political impediment to holding the office."

Which is basically what Debbie69 said above.

By *obka3Couple  over a year ago

bournemouth

Good luck to them both, they need it.

liverpool

I'm just amazed he was able to answer a question.

milton keynes

"Something i found online, there was more bit it is a boring enough read as it is. turnes out Bojo was a Roman Catholic then switched.

From.24/07/19

Boris Johnson may have been baptised a Catholic, but he was confirmed into the Church of England during his years at Eton. While the Church of England would recognise the baptism, the Roman Catholic Church would view acceptance into the Church of England as an abandonment of the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church, for Anglican orders are “absolutely null and utterly void“, and the Church of England is not a church “in the proper sense“; merely an “ecclesial community”. Boris Johnson is Roman Catholic in a CofE kind of way. If he were as orthodox as Jacob Rees-Mogg (“I take my whip from the hierarchy of the Roman Catholic Church rather than the Whip’s Office”), his faith would almost certainly be a political impediment to holding the office.

Which is basically what Debbie69 said above."

Yep that's how I read it too. So no problem in government / PM terms and as confirmed by the link posted no problem with the Catholic church in relation to Boris being a divorcee.

» Add a new message to this topic