FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Rule Britannia. It’s happening

Rule Britannia. It’s happening

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *uliaChris OP   Couple  over a year ago

westerham

I’m sure we can all agree on this at least. Makes us proud

“Construction of the new ship is expected to begin as soon as 2022 and it will enter service within the next four years. 

The tendering process for the design and construction of the vessel will launch shortly, with an emphasis on showcasing British design expertise and the latest innovations in green technology.

It is expected to be in service for about 30 years, and will be crewed by the Royal Navy. 

Mr Johnson said: 'This new national flagship will be the first vessel of its kind in the world, reflecting the UK's burgeoning status as a great, independent maritime trading nation. “

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

God bless her and all that sail in it.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Uncle Albert would be proud

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

But how much will the wallpaper cost? That’s the important stuff we need to know.

By *illi3736Woman  over a year ago

Glasgow

While one food bank stays open it is an obscenity in my opinion.

westerham

"While one food bank stays open it is an obscenity in my opinion. "

It’s an investment in our free trading future

By *ERRIBLE TWOSUMCouple  over a year ago

Suck mammys strap-on

Paper tiger's and all that.

By *reenleavesCouple  over a year ago

North Wales

Look at the shiny bauble over here! Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain etc..

North Wales

'This new national flagship will be the first vessel of its kind in the world'

Cant think why no other country in the world has bothered to waste money on one thus far.

westerham

"'This new national flagship will be the first vessel of its kind in the world'

Cant think why no other country in the world has bothered to waste money on one thus far. "

Because no other country has the faintest echo of our glorious maritime history. This is about making Britannia rule the waves again.

Cant think why no other country in the world has bothered to waste money on one thus far.

Because no other country has the faintest echo of our glorious maritime history. This is about making Britannia rule the waves again."

Long way to go to match other Navies. Nice attempt at former glory. Paper tiger to make the populace feel special.

By *ad NannaWoman  over a year ago

East London

How will it benefit the United Kingdom?

westerham

"How will it benefit the United Kingdom?"

Many jobs building it

Showcase of British tech

Increase in soft power

Prestige for all citizens

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

"How will it benefit the United Kingdom?

Many jobs building it

Showcase of British tech

Increase in soft power

Prestige for all citizens "

You have not answered the question.

What exactly will it do?

Don’t you realise it is a load of bollocks? The Royal Family don’t want it and Politicians will not be spending weeks at sea to head off to another country.

This is just another way that Johnson & Co have learned to trigger their disciples. Give the followers flags, statues and now ships to furiously masturbate over and entirely predictably they will lose focus on the shambolic and internationally embarrassing way that the Govt is acting.

westerham

Many jobs building it

Showcase of British tech

Increase in soft power

What exactly will it do?

Don’t you realise it is a load of bollocks? The Royal Family don’t want it and Politicians will not be spending weeks at sea to head off to another country.

This is just another way that Johnson & Co have learned to trigger their disciples. Give the followers flags, statues and now ships to furiously masturbate over and entirely predictably they will lose focus on the shambolic and internationally embarrassing way that the Govt is acting. "

I don’t think that’s very patriotic. The Red Ensign will proudly fly from the pulpit. Stiffens the sinews.

North West

Many jobs building it

Showcase of British tech

Increase in soft power

What exactly will it do?

This is just another way that Johnson & Co have learned to trigger their disciples. Give the followers flags, statues and now ships to furiously masturbate over and entirely predictably they will lose focus on the shambolic and internationally embarrassing way that the Govt is acting.

I don’t think that’s very patriotic. The Red Ensign will proudly fly from the pulpit. Stiffens the sinews. "

No it won’t. Not if crewed by the Royal Navy.

I find it laughable that people can get excited over something so pointless.

Why do you think the former Royal Yacht Britannia was decommissioned and never replaced?

I suppose it is kind of sweet that there are people in this country who think that because we can build a ship, we are a bit special.

Bless

westerham

Many jobs building it

Showcase of British tech

Increase in soft power

What exactly will it do?

I don’t think that’s very patriotic. The Red Ensign will proudly fly from the pulpit. Stiffens the sinews.

Why do you think the former Royal Yacht Britannia was decommissioned and never replaced?

I suppose it is kind of sweet that there are people in this country who think that because we can build a ship, we are a bit special.

Bless"

That was because of Lady Macbeth herself, Cherie Blair, out of spite.

When Britannia sails again I shall be in the flotilla driving my sloop alongside winding in three sheets.

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

"Uncle Albert would be proud"

Shame he camt sail it

liverpool

Cant believe people are biting to this.

By *irtyd468Man  over a year ago

North

"Cant believe people are biting to this."

I only look at the OP posts now to see what new rubbish he is spouting.

Got to feel sorry for him really if all he has to do is come on here and try to get a reaction out of others.

By *jonesMan  over a year ago

Totnes

Most of the equipment on the ship will be made in Germany...I would bet ..

westerham

"Cant believe people are biting to this.

I only look at the OP posts now to see what new rubbish he is spouting.

Got to feel sorry for him really if all he has to do is come on here and try to get a reaction out of others."

Which part is not true?

Because no other country has the faintest echo of our glorious maritime history. This is about making Britannia rule the waves again."

In a boat that will be used by the royal family? I bet the US & Chinese navy’s are shitting themselves

Many jobs building it

Showcase of British tech

Increase in soft power

What exactly will it do?

Bless

That was because of Lady Macbeth herself, Cherie Blair, out of spite.

When Britannia sails again I shall be in the flotilla driving my sloop alongside winding in three sheets. "

Tbh , it Sounds like you are 3 sheets to the wind

liverpool

Mayne andrew can do his bit for the economic situation and hire some cabin girls?

westerham

Because no other country has the faintest echo of our glorious maritime history. This is about making Britannia rule the waves again.

In a boat that will be used by the royal family? I bet the US & Chinese navy’s are shitting themselves "

They don't have our maritime know how. Be surprised if the Chinese know their windward from their leeward.

By *isandhers691127Couple  over a year ago

Bournemouth

What would our brave soldiers, who died for want of proper equipment have to say about this waste of money?

westerham

"What would our brave soldiers, who died for want of proper equipment have to say about this waste of money? "

They'd applaud its use for training purposes and direct their complaints to Blair and Campbell.

Bournemouth

Good try Private Pike but I don't think so.

westerham

In a boat that will be used by the royal family? I bet the US & Chinese navy’s are shitting themselves "

I'm not proposing war against America, and anyway none of their kit works. They usually ask us for help.

America has never won a war on its own.

North Wales

This is obviously going to end up on the same scrap heap as Boris' garden Bridge and the Scotland to Ireland bridge. The idiot desperately wants these flashy vanity projects so he can leave behind a legacy of something other than being a clueless buffoon.

We're not going back to 'rule the waves' times. We have no empire, no armada on the horizon and the rest of the world sees us as a tinpot, xenophobic little rock that's frantically scrabbling around in its grandparent's attic, trying to dress up as something it used to be.

westerham

"This is obviously going to end up on the same scrap heap as Boris' garden Bridge and the Scotland to Ireland bridge. The idiot desperately wants these flashy vanity projects so he can leave behind a legacy of something other than being a clueless buffoon.

We're not going back to 'rule the waves' times. We have no empire, no armada on the horizon and the rest of the world sees us as a tinpot, xenophobic little rock that's frantically scrabbling around in its grandparent's attic, trying to dress up as something it used to be. "

Lol :

“Between 7 February and 27 March 2020 Ipsos MORI undertook a survey of 20,612 18-34 year olds with a minimum of secondary education in the 19 G20 countries. This was the fourth wave of research conducted among this audience by Ipsos MORI for the British Council, with two previous waves conducted in 2016 (before and after the EU referendum) and a further wave in 2018.

This year’s study finds that the UK is now considered to be the most attractive country overall among young people in the G20. The UK has risen three ranks since 2018 and now ranks above countries such as Canada, Italy and Australia. The UK’s improved ranking is driven by drops in rating for Canada, Italy and Australia, while ratings for the UK have remained largely stable.“

In a boat that will be used by the royal family? I bet the US & Chinese navy’s are shitting themselves

They don't have our maritime know how. Be surprised if the Chinese know their windward from their leeward. "

The US navy is ten times and the Chinese is 3 times larger than ours, I doubt they give a shit about a tiny little boat we are building for the royal family, it is pathetically irrelevant to them

"This is obviously going to end up on the same scrap heap as Boris' garden Bridge and the Scotland to Ireland bridge. The idiot desperately wants these flashy vanity projects so he can leave behind a legacy of something other than being a clueless buffoon.

We're not going back to 'rule the waves' times. We have no empire, no armada on the horizon and the rest of the world sees us as a tinpot, xenophobic little rock that's frantically scrabbling around in its grandparent's attic, trying to dress up as something it used to be.

Lol :

“Between 7 February and 27 March 2020 Ipsos MORI undertook a survey of 20,612 18-34 year olds with a minimum of secondary education in the 19 G20 countries. This was the fourth wave of research conducted among this audience by Ipsos MORI for the British Council, with two previous waves conducted in 2016 (before and after the EU referendum) and a further wave in 2018.

This year’s study finds that the UK is now considered to be the most attractive country overall among young people in the G20. The UK has risen three ranks since 2018 and now ranks above countries such as Canada, Italy and Australia. The UK’s improved ranking is driven by drops in rating for Canada, Italy and Australia, while ratings for the UK have remained largely stable.“"

20,612 people??

westerham

Lol :

This year’s study finds that the UK is now considered to be the most attractive country overall among young people in the G20. The UK has risen three ranks since 2018 and now ranks above countries such as Canada, Italy and Australia. The UK’s improved ranking is driven by drops in rating for Canada, Italy and Australia, while ratings for the UK have remained largely stable.“

20,612 people?? "

In 19 countries, yes.

Seems a decent survey size to me.

Lol :

20,612 people??

In 19 countries, yes.

Seems a decent survey size to me."

Pathetically small , less than 0.001 %

westerham

Lol :

20,612 people??

In 19 countries, yes.

Pathetically small , less than 0.001 %"

I await your reference to a larger survey that says otherwise.....

Lol :

20,612 people??

In 19 countries, yes.

I await your reference to a larger survey that says otherwise....."

No need, I shall just dismiss the pathetically small survey you have highlighted. Anyway, back to the OP, why are they building such a tiny little boat for the royal family, seems like an insult to me ?

westerham

Lol :

20,612 people??

In 19 countries, yes.

No need, I shall just dismiss the pathetically small survey you have highlighted. Anyway, back to the OP, why are they building such a tiny little boat for the royal family, seems like an insult to me ? "

It’s more about getting the correct beam and draft ratios to make a superb looking ship, initial renderings look very promising.

I’ve considered a few superyachts but mostly they are pretty ugly and lacking class.

Bournemouth

Bit like a few posters on here.

Lol :

20,612 people??

In 19 countries, yes.

No need, I shall just dismiss the pathetically small survey you have highlighted. Anyway, back to the OP, why are they building such a tiny little boat for the royal family, seems like an insult to me ?

It’s more about getting the correct beam and draft ratios to make a superb looking ship, initial renderings look very promising.

I’ve considered a few superyachts but mostly they are pretty ugly and lacking class. "

It is a pathetically small and cheap yacht tbh, it would be laughed at in the ‘mega rich’ ports of the world, a bit embarrassing tbh .

westerham

Lol :

20,612 people??

In 19 countries, yes.

I’ve considered a few superyachts but mostly they are pretty ugly and lacking class.

It is a pathetically small and cheap yacht tbh, it would be laughed at in the ‘mega rich’ ports of the world, a bit embarrassing tbh . "

The previous, smaller, Britannia, was hugely respected and enabled trade deals of several billion pounds to take place.

I look at Octopus, Lionheart and Rising Sun and laugh at the crass vulgarity.

Lol :

20,612 people??

In 19 countries, yes.

It is a pathetically small and cheap yacht tbh, it would be laughed at in the ‘mega rich’ ports of the world, a bit embarrassing tbh .

The previous, smaller, Britannia, was hugely respected and enabled trade deals of several billion pounds to take place.

I look at Octopus, Lionheart and Rising Sun and laugh at the crass vulgarity."

Such a tiny little cheap boat the likes of Bezos wouldn’t be seen dead on , such a tiddler, a bit embarrassing tbh

By *oi_LucyCouple  over a year ago

Barbados

"While one food bank stays open it is an obscenity in my opinion.

It’s an investment in our free trading future "

Hahahahahahaahahahah!

Satire is almost sounding like reality these days.

-Matt

By *uboCouple  over a year ago

East kilbride

Total waste of money.

By *jonesMan  over a year ago

Totnes

"Bit like a few posters on here. "

Lol lol , plenty with a broad beam tho

westerham

Even the slightly woke Director of the Royal Commonwealth Society, Michael Lake, said that a National Flagship could act as a travelling ambassador to boost Britain's trade and prestige in the wake of Brexit, at home and abroad.

“As he has said, the coming years are "a golden moment for the United Kingdom to shape a future as a global and forceful partner in the broadest sense...Relish it or regret it, this is no time for uncertainty or for inactivity. It will be crucial for the country to show its wares and talents to the best advantage in a competitive world."

It would be a very suitable Post-Brexit symbol because it would be a real-life reminder that Britain's wealth has traditionally come from our maritime trading tradition, and we are launching – literally – upon that again!”

Rule Britannia

"Even the slightly woke Director of the Royal Commonwealth Society, Michael Lake, said that a National Flagship could act as a travelling ambassador to boost Britain's trade and prestige in the wake of Brexit, at home and abroad.

“As he has said, the coming years are "a golden moment for the United Kingdom to shape a future as a global and forceful partner in the broadest sense...Relish it or regret it, this is no time for uncertainty or for inactivity. It will be crucial for the country to show its wares and talents to the best advantage in a competitive world."

It would be a very suitable Post-Brexit symbol because it would be a real-life reminder that Britain's wealth has traditionally come from our maritime trading tradition, and we are launching – literally – upon that again!”

Rule Britannia "

Hang on. Didn't you say Brexit was a good idea in previous posts!

Why do we need to spunk millions on a pointless boat to try to save Brexit?

"Even the slightly woke Director of the Royal Commonwealth Society, Michael Lake, said that a National Flagship could act as a travelling ambassador to boost Britain's trade and prestige in the wake of Brexit, at home and abroad.

Rule Britannia "

Why have they decided to build such a tiny and cheap boat? Admittedly I think the money could be better spent elsewhere but as they are apparently doing it for ‘prestige ‘ etc it’s embarrassing that they have settled on such a crappy , cheap little thing, it’s a bit embarrassing. I can just see all the other super yacht owners laughing when they see (if they can see it) that little thing chug into port

westerham

Rule Britannia

Why do we need to spunk millions on a pointless boat to try to save Brexit?"

Brexit doesn’t need saving, my business has never been better. This is about educating the world how to do things properly with class and sophistication.

Rule Britannia

Brexit doesn’t need saving, my business has never been better. This is about educating the world how to do things properly with class and sophistication. "

By building a cheap little boat, embarrassing tbh

Rule Britannia

Brexit doesn’t need saving, my business has never been better. This is about educating the world how to do things properly with class and sophistication.

By building a cheap little boat, embarrassing tbh "

If on the off chance, wasting a load of cash on a pointless boat will somehow save brexit from being a total clusterfuck. As this guy claimed. It's worth a go.

Do we have anything concrete on how the boat will help mitigate against all the businesses closing or moving to the EU?

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

“The nations not so blest as thee

Must, in their turn, to tyrants fall,

While thou shalt flourish great and free:

The dread and envy of them all.”

Rule Britannia

If on the off chance, wasting a load of cash on a pointless boat will somehow save brexit from being a total clusterfuck. As this guy claimed. It's worth a go.

Do we have anything concrete on how the boat will help mitigate against all the businesses closing or moving to the EU?"

The OP is trying to claim that the boat is being built for prestige, £200 million is a lot of money but in ‘super yacht ‘ terms it’s peanuts, any billionaire would pay more .

Rule Britannia

Do we have anything concrete on how the boat will help mitigate against all the businesses closing or moving to the EU?

The OP is trying to claim that the boat is being built for prestige, £200 million is a lot of money but in ‘super yacht ‘ terms it’s peanuts, any billionaire would pay more . "

Oh, I see. So we're spunking 200 mil on a pointless crappy boat. In the hope that this will somehow turn brexit from a pile of shit into a success.

And I thought "take back control" was bad.

By *oxychick35Couple  over a year ago

thornaby

Many jobs building it

Showcase of British tech

Increase in soft power

What exactly will it do?

This is just another way that Johnson & Co have learned to trigger their disciples. Give the followers flags, statues and now ships to furiously masturbate over and entirely predictably they will lose focus on the shambolic and internationally embarrassing way that the Govt is acting. "

couldn’t agree more

westerham

"“The nations not so blest as thee

Must, in their turn, to tyrants fall,

While thou shalt flourish great and free:

The dread and envy of them all.”

"

Splendid stuff

By *haverMan  over a year ago

bracknell

Can't you lot remember the titanic

westerham

And please stop insulting Her Majesty by calling it a boat. The Ferry across the Mersey is a boat.

This is a Ship. A splendid Yacht of Quality oozing class and sophistication. It’s not something for supercilious poseurs.

liverpool

Can someone tell me how a family of parasites, getting a fuck off boat ,comes under the

banner of politics?

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

The proposal is for a National Flagship, not for a new Royal Yacht.

Its main purpose is to further UK interests abroad, both diplomatically and for trade purposes.

No mention has been made if the Royal Family might use it or not.

"Child poverty increased most dramatically in the North East of England between 2015 and 2020, rising by over a third from 26 per cent to 37 per cent of all children."

Shame the tories "paper over the cracks" with vanity projects

"The proposal is for a National Flagship, not for a new Royal Yacht.

Its main purpose is to further UK interests abroad, both diplomatically and for trade purposes.

"

Why can't we save time and money by flying diplomats about the place instead of sending them on a boat like luddites.

And surely it would be better to use cargo ships for "trade purposes".

Why can't we save time and money by flying diplomats about the place instead of sending them on a boat like luddites.

"

Finally something I agree it's a gloryfied yacht. WTF imagine the escorts it needs to go anywhere.

"

We live in the 21st century, wtf do we need a tiny little boat to further ‘UK interests abroad, both diplomatically and for trade purposes ? Do you honestly think the Chinese and the US or any other country give a shit about an irrelevant little boat ?

"And please stop insulting Her Majesty by calling it a boat. The Ferry across the Mersey is a boat.

This is a Ship. A splendid Yacht of Quality oozing class and sophistication. It’s not something for supercilious poseurs. "

It’s a little cheap boat

Finally something I agree it's a gloryfied yacht. WTF imagine the escorts it needs to go anywhere. "

I think we agreed on a few things.

But yeah. It's a silly boat used to distract people from whatever clusterfuck the government is on at the moment. Brexit/covid response/PPE nepotism/Boris fleecing the tax payers etc. And it's working.

Finally something I agree it's a gloryfied yacht. WTF imagine the escorts it needs to go anywhere.

I think we agreed on a few things.

But yeah. It's a silly boat used to distract people from whatever clusterfuck the government is on at the moment. Brexit/covid response/PPE nepotism/Boris fleecing the tax payers etc. And it's working. "

By *rank speakerMan  over a year ago

Worcester

Attempting to avoid all the above bickering. Can I just say I'm really pleased to live in this country. We live in a golden time. Most (but obviously not all diseases are reasonably under control,we're living longer than ever before and we're privileged on the whole to have the best living conditions in history. Let's be grateful for what we've got? The amount of refugees desperate to get here somewhat testifies to this surely? The only fly in the ointment I can see regards this ship/boat is that unfortunately we seem to have very little to sell to the rest of the world. We used to have industry and an inventive base,all of whiich seems to have faded away in recent times? Can anyone tell me what our u.s.p is now? We did lead the world in many fields but under government direction (of both colours!) We seem to have lost our direction and power base? We need money spending on innovation not window dressing or vanity projects? I noticed we're going ahead with HS2? No doubt useful for a few but I can't personally see huge benefits to the nation as a whole although we're all going to end up paying for it. Let's try to spread the cash around the nation in general instead of bolstering the inflationary south east. We need dispersal of the few assets we have not more centralisation. Are we not in huge debt atm? Let's not make it worse for the sake of the privileged few or we'll all be paying for it till our children are grandparents.

Anyway that's me off my soapbox. Stay safe everyone

Bet ya they spend 200 million then end up with a pedalo that's got a flag painted on it.

By *obka3Couple  over a year ago

bournemouth

"Attempting to avoid all the above bickering. Can I just say I'm really pleased to live in this country. We live in a golden time. Most (but obviously not all diseases are reasonably under control,we're living longer than ever before and we're privileged on the whole to have the best living conditions in history. Let's be grateful for what we've got? The amount of refugees desperate to get here somewhat testifies to this surely? The only fly in the ointment I can see regards this ship/boat is that unfortunately we seem to have very little to sell to the rest of the world. We used to have industry and an inventive base,all of whiich seems to have faded away in recent times? Can anyone tell me what our u.s.p is now? We did lead the world in many fields but under government direction (of both colours!) We seem to have lost our direction and power base? We need money spending on innovation not window dressing or vanity projects? I noticed we're going ahead with HS2? No doubt useful for a few but I can't personally see huge benefits to the nation as a whole although we're all going to end up paying for it. Let's try to spread the cash around the nation in general instead of bolstering the inflationary south east. We need dispersal of the few assets we have not more centralisation. Are we not in huge debt atm? Let's not make it worse for the sake of the privileged few or we'll all be paying for it till our children are grandparents.

Anyway that's me off my soapbox. Stay safe everyone "

We are still 8th or 9th largest manufacturer in the world, we can and must do more though, too many years where all governments have thought real jobs were less worthy than pen pushers, the last year has shown who we need most.

westerham

And this is a showcase for British Engineering that we can all enjoy and the rest of the world will admire and be inspired by.

liverpool

"Bet ya they spend 200 million then end up with a pedalo that's got a flag painted on it."

I read that as a paedo with a flag painted on it..but enough about prince Andrew..

By *ornLordMan  over a year ago

Wiltshire and London

"Bet ya they spend 200 million then end up with a pedalo that's got a flag painted on it.

I read that as a paedo with a flag painted on it..but enough about prince Andrew.."

Don't sweat it.

By *ichael McCarthyMan  over a year ago

Lucan

"And this is a showcase for British Engineering that we can all enjoy and the rest of the world will admire and be inspired by. "

I'd be fairly certain that at least half the world will be praying it sinks on its maiden voyage.

liverpool

"Bet ya they spend 200 million then end up with a pedalo that's got a flag painted on it.

I read that as a paedo with a flag painted on it..but enough about prince Andrew..

Don't sweat it."

westerham

"And this is a showcase for British Engineering that we can all enjoy and the rest of the world will admire and be inspired by.

I'd be fairly certain that at least half the world will be praying it sinks on its maiden voyage. "

Delightful

By *ittleAcornMan  over a year ago

Soft power was mentioned above. Something the UK has been quite good at over the years.

Things like the World Service and Overseas Development Fund, have done stirling work in this area.

Both things have has resource removed from them. I'm not convinced that a flashy boat replaces them.

"And this is a showcase for British Engineering that we can all enjoy and the rest of the world will admire and be inspired by. "

Then why are they planning on building something so small and cheap? The likes of Ambramovich wouldn’t be seen dead on such a tiddly little boat, embarrassing tbh

By *appytoadsCouple  over a year ago

West Dublin

Good God, what are you smoking, keep going it's hilarious lol

By *appytoadsCouple  over a year ago

West Dublin

UK has subjects , not citizens , no?

Many jobs building it

Showcase of British tech

Increase in soft power

Prestige for all citizens "

westerham

"Good God, what are you smoking, keep going it's hilarious lol

Don’t worry, I shall do.

Trafalagar. Nelson. Drake. Turpitz. U571. Jellicoe. Glorious, stirring stuff. Let’s echo that with Britannia.

I respect the new carrier not a ridiculous showpiece.

thornaby

we can all enjoy ? Great I’ll have the last two weeks in September then is it all inclusive ?

Wiltshire and London

Don’t worry, I shall do.

Trafalagar. Nelson. Drake. Turpitz. U571. Jellicoe. Glorious, stirring stuff. Let’s echo that with Britannia."

Right-oh...

Trafalgar, as we tend to spell it, 1805 and Nelson, a mere 215 years ago. Drake, how long ago?

Tirpitz, as we tend to spell it, as impressive as it was, was German. Don't confuse it with turpentine.

U571? That's a bit of Hollywood fiction; if you're going to evoke British sea-going history, get your references right.

FFS...

westerham

"I respect the new carrier not a ridiculous showpiece. "

Yep, other countries already envious and we don't even have it yet. Clearly we're doing it right

By *ichael McCarthyMan  over a year ago

Lucan

Don’t worry, I shall do.

Trafalagar. Nelson. Drake. Turpitz. U571. Jellicoe. Glorious, stirring stuff. Let’s echo that with Britannia.

Right-oh...

Trafalgar, as we tend to spell it, 1805 and Nelson, a mere 215 years ago. Drake, how long ago?

Tirpitz, as we tend to spell it, as impressive as it was, was German. Don't confuse it with turpentine.

U571? That's a bit of Hollywood fiction; if you're going to evoke British sea-going history, get your references right.

FFS...

"

I think he's been at the turpentine alright!

westerham

Don’t worry, I shall do.

Right-oh...

FFS...

"

Oh do come along. I'm referring to the joint operation to sink Tirpitz, not the battleship itself obviously.

U571 I referenced so that people know what I'm referring to, which was actually Operation Primrose and U110.

My references are perfect. Cheers.

By *anchester_subMan  over a year ago

Manchester

It's great ain't it

Wiltshire and London

Don’t worry, I shall do.

Right-oh...

FFS...

Oh do come along. I'm referring to the joint operation to sink Tirpitz, not the battleship itself obviously.

U571 I referenced so that people know what I'm referring to, which was actually Operation Primrose and U110.

My references are perfect. Cheers. "

And as the Glorious, that was a mess, a top-level cock-up. Sounds familiar, no, or have you got fingers in ears?

Go easy on the turpentine.

"I respect the new carrier not a ridiculous showpiece.

Yep, other countries already envious and we don't even have it yet. Clearly we're doing it right "

Not envy laughing at the utter stupidity.

"I respect the new carrier not a ridiculous showpiece.

Yep, other countries already envious and we don't even have it yet. Clearly we're doing it right

Not envy laughing at the utter stupidity. "

Doing what right.lol

Make ridiculous boat

Put a HVT on it.

Go visit forgien nations.

Brilliant just leave it in the harbor and stare at it once in awhile and have a crowd make motorboat noises.

You would have to be an utter moron to think that this is anything other than a ridiculously expensive piece of nationalistic flag waving in an attempt to distract people from this shit show of a government's handling of the pandemic.

westerham

Disturbing lack of patriotism ITT.

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

Don’t worry, I shall do.

Right-oh...

FFS...

My references are perfect. Cheers. "

Tirpitz was actually sank by the RAF Lancasters of 9 and 617 squadrons.

The senior service managed to sink the Bismark.

"Disturbing lack of patriotism ITT."

Good!

As Samuel Johnson said, "Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel."

By *ockdownerMan  over a year ago

Preston

Rule Britannia

Brexit doesn’t need saving, my business has never been better. This is about educating the world how to do things properly with class and sophistication. "

Yet your own post you quote someone who admits it could act as a boost "In the wake of Brexit"

**a National Flagship could act as a travelling ambassador to boost Britain's trade and prestige in the wake of Brexit**

Generally "in the wake of" isn't used in terming of something good

#Confused again OP

"Disturbing lack of patriotism ITT."

What does a glorified yacht have to do with patriotism? When that money can be better spent on upgrades for troops or the population.

westerham

"Disturbing lack of patriotism ITT.

What does a glorified yacht have to do with patriotism? When that money can be better spent on upgrades for troops or the population.

"

Is this about America crashing and coming last in the Americas Cup earlier this year? America is now no longer interested in yachts?

westerham

Good!

As Samuel Johnson said, "Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel.""

A popular misconception. He was actually referring to the "false patriotism" of William Pitt. In general Johnson valued "true" patriotism.

I'm full of interesting facts.

Is this about America crashing and coming last in the Americas Cup earlier this year? America is now no longer interested in yachts? "

Don't need yachts to project. Our carriers suffice.

westerham

Is this about America crashing and coming last in the Americas Cup earlier this year? America is now no longer interested in yachts?

Don't need yachts to project. Our carriers suffice."

No offence but you simply don’t have the experience of 500 years of global naval domination that we do.

North West

Can’t believe this thread is still going.

Heavy trolling by the OP lol

"Can’t believe this thread is still going.

Heavy trolling by the OP lol"

The banter us fun

westerham

Rule Britannia

Yet your own post you quote someone who admits it could act as a boost "In the wake of Brexit"

**a National Flagship could act as a travelling ambassador to boost Britain's trade and prestige in the wake of Brexit**

#Confused again OP "

OED says it just means aftermath or consequence. You’re putting your own slant on it unfortunately.

Preston

Rule Britannia

#Confused again OP

OED says it just means aftermath or consequence. You’re putting your own slant on it unfortunately. "

Here then, definition of aftermath

the consequences or after-effects of a significant unpleasant event.

#opdiggingdeeper

westerham

Rule Britannia

#Confused again OP

OED says it just means aftermath or consequence. You’re putting your own slant on it unfortunately.

#opdiggingdeeper "

Look no skin off my nose, it’s upto you if you want to quote the accurate unedited dictionary definition of aftermath.

It’s a question of your forum credibility really. I’m probably not the only one who’s a stickler for detail and cross checks stuff.

Preston

Rule Britannia

#Confused again OP

#opdiggingdeeper

Look no skin off my nose, it’s upto you if you want to quote the accurate unedited dictionary definition of aftermath.

It’s a question of your forum credibility really. I’m probably not the only one who’s a stickler for detail and cross checks stuff. "

Oxford dictionary

Aftermath

?the situation that exists as a result of an important (and usually unpleasant) event, especially a war, an accident, etc.

You're sure a sucker for punishment

Preston

I'd say you've lost credibility with me but I wouldn't worry, you didn't have any to start with

Sunk by french fisherman on it's maiden voyage.

westerham

Some early tender interior specification details, sounds like it's going to be a very special Ship:

"Rubelli’s Katagami jacquard, bespoke furniture in linen and silk and covered walls and ceilings in parchment to complement the custom leather Venetian blinds. Ovry Dedar’s bold geometric Pachisi print for statement furniture and discreet Intarsiato for curtains. Thibaut’s Sunbrella fabric for outside upholstery and cushion fabrics from the highly patterned Calypso and Portico collections and soft, neutral tones along with teak and oak flooring and joiners."

liverpool

"Some early tender interior specification details, sounds like it's going to be a very special Ship:

"Rubelli’s Katagami jacquard, bespoke furniture in linen and silk and covered walls and ceilings in parchment to complement the custom leather Venetian blinds. Ovry Dedar’s bold geometric Pachisi print for statement furniture and discreet Intarsiato for curtains. Thibaut’s Sunbrella fabric for outside upholstery and cushion fabrics from the highly patterned Calypso and Portico collections and soft, neutral tones along with teak and oak flooring and joiners.""

Will it be called the hms nonce?

"Some early tender interior specification details, sounds like it's going to be a very special Ship:

"Rubelli’s Katagami jacquard, bespoke furniture in linen and silk and covered walls and ceilings in parchment to complement the custom leather Venetian blinds. Ovry Dedar’s bold geometric Pachisi print for statement furniture and discreet Intarsiato for curtains. Thibaut’s Sunbrella fabric for outside upholstery and cushion fabrics from the highly patterned Calypso and Portico collections and soft, neutral tones along with teak and oak flooring and joiners.""

Such a tiny little cheap boat, £200 million is small fry, it will be laughed at in places like Monaco, tbh , it’s a bit embarrassing

"Rubelli’s Katagami jacquard, bespoke furniture in linen and silk and covered walls and ceilings in parchment to complement the custom leather Venetian blinds. Ovry Dedar’s bold geometric Pachisi print for statement furniture and discreet Intarsiato for curtains. Thibaut’s Sunbrella fabric for outside upholstery and cushion fabrics from the highly patterned Calypso and Portico collections and soft, neutral tones along with teak and oak flooring and joiners."

Will it be called the hms nonce?"

Will there be a Wetherspoons on board? Important question.

Its a bit of a weird idea

Naming a boat after a fictional character

Cant it be called

HMS Winnie the Pooh or something if

Its going down the fictional character route ?

By *ornucopiaMan  over a year ago

Bexley

"Its a bit of a weird idea

Cant it be called

Its going down the fictional character route ?"

From what I've been reading it is going to be named after Prince Philip. Hardly a fictional character.

However, I also read that the Queen doesn't approve of the name. So where do we go from here?

westerham

Cant it be called

From what I've been reading it is going to be named after Prince Philip. Hardly a fictional character.

However, I also read that the Queen doesn't approve of the name. So where do we go from here?"

Easy to name her, eg

HMS Majestic Glorianna

HMS New Britannic Empire

HMS Britannic Victory

HMS Imperial Crusader

etc etc

"Will there be a Wetherspoons on board? Important question."

I doubt there will be enough room, it’s a tiny little thing, hardly worth building , tbh , it’s a bit embarrassing

Cant it be called

However, I also read that the Queen doesn't approve of the name. So where do we go from here?

Easy to name her, eg

HMS Majestic Glorianna

HMS New Britannic Empire

HMS Britannic Victory

HMS Imperial Crusader

etc etc

"

Boaty McBoatface?

Cant it be called

Easy to name her, eg

HMS Majestic Glorianna

HMS New Britannic Empire

HMS Britannic Victory

HMS Imperial Crusader

etc etc

Boaty McBoatface? "

HMS Jingoism

liverpool

Cant it be called

However, I also read that the Queen doesn't approve of the name. So where do we go from here?"

Hms bigoted racist?

HMS Brexiteer

"HMS Brexiteer "

Not a good idea, with a name like that it will cost £120 billion, take 5 years to build and will sink like a stone on its maiden voyage.

liverpool

"HMS Brexiteer

Not a good idea, with a name like that it will cost £120 billion, take 5 years to build and will sink like a stone on its maiden voyage. "

"HMS Brexiteer

Not a good idea, with a name like that it will cost £120 billion, take 5 years to build and will sink like a stone on its maiden voyage. "

Bravo i say Bravo .

liverpool

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/jun/02/buckingham-palace-banned-ethnic-minorities-from-office-roles-papers-reveal

Gawd bless em

Wiltshire and London

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jun/02/boris-johnson-risks-shock-defeat-over-devastating-foreign-aid-cuts

This is more like it. Maybe he won't have the money to spaff on Bigoty McBigotface.

"I’m sure we can all agree on this at least. Makes us proud

“Construction of the new ship is expected to begin as soon as 2022 and it will enter service within the next four years. 

The tendering process for the design and construction of the vessel will launch shortly, with an emphasis on showcasing British design expertise and the latest innovations in green technology.

It is expected to be in service for about 30 years, and will be crewed by the Royal Navy. 

Mr Johnson said: 'This new national flagship will be the first vessel of its kind in the world, reflecting the UK's burgeoning status as a great, independent maritime trading nation. “ "

Lets just keep fingers crossed they give the building contract to a legitimate ship builder and not dodgy chums who dont know port and starboard

Wiltshire and London

"I’m sure we can all agree on this at least. Makes us proud

Mr Johnson said: 'This new national flagship will be the first vessel of its kind in the world, reflecting the UK's burgeoning status as a great, independent maritime trading nation. “

Lets just keep fingers crossed they give the building contract to a legitimate ship builder and not dodgy chums who dont know port and starboard "

I'd bet that whoever gets it will have trouble with up and down.

westerham

HMS Bombay Splendor

HMS Conquerer

HMS Churchill Salute

HMS Dead Cat

Bournemouth

HMS Let the bodies pile high

Wiltshire and London

HMS Hoodie

liverpool

Hms institutional racism

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

HMS Salty.

HMS Rashford.

HMS Dry your eyes.

By *leasure domMan  over a year ago

Edinburgh

Another piece of off-the-cuff, ill-considered distraction buffoonery from the idiot who brought you the swinging garden bridge, unused water cannons, bendy bus madness and quickly shelved proposals for an airport on an island in the Thames and the ludicrous tunnel to Ireland through munitions central.

Wank fodder for little Englander brexiteers pining for the days of rule britannia, with their accompanying invasions, looting and murder of fuzzy-wuzzies.

The British empire was the most destructive and genocidal in history and it is depressing to see people still evoking the language of that shameful imperialism.

liverpool

"Another piece of off-the-cuff, ill-considered distraction buffoonery from the idiot who brought you the swinging garden bridge, unused water cannons, bendy bus madness and quickly shelved proposals for an airport on an island in the Thames and the ludicrous tunnel to Ireland through munitions central.

Wank fodder for little Englander brexiteers pining for the days of rule britannia, with their accompanying invasions, looting and murder of fuzzy-wuzzies.

The British empire was the most destructive and genocidal in history and it is depressing to see people still evoking the language of that shameful imperialism. "

westerham

"Another piece of off-the-cuff, ill-considered distraction buffoonery from the idiot who brought you the swinging garden bridge, unused water cannons, bendy bus madness and quickly shelved proposals for an airport on an island in the Thames and the ludicrous tunnel to Ireland through munitions central.

The British empire was the most destructive and genocidal in history and it is depressing to see people still evoking the language of that shameful imperialism. "

Back to the history books for you.

Oh and where there was military action, it tended to be led by the Scots.

"HMS Salty.

HMS Rashford.

HMS Dry your eyes.

"

HMS peado (allegedly) carrier

The British empire was the most destructive and genocidal in history and it is depressing to see people still evoking the language of that shameful imperialism.

Back to the history books for you.

Oh and where there was military action, it tended to be led by the Scots. "

My favourite quote from any film

This is often used as a tactic

Send the small beleaguered group into fight 1st

Then take the glory after the cannon fodder

have been dealt with .

It's How the U.S Won WW2 .

By *coptoCouple  over a year ago

Côte d'Azur & Great Yarmouth

"It's How the U.S Won WW2"

I'm glad that's at last being acknowledged. It's normally a case of "We stood alone... we beat the Nazis all by ourselves with a little bit of belated support from the Yanks and the Reds"

""It's How the U.S Won WW2"

I'm glad that's at last being acknowledged. It's normally a case of "We stood alone... we beat the Nazis all by ourselves with a little bit of belated support from the Yanks and the Reds""

It isn't really true,

but No one here likes Russia very much

So to annoy some of the locals i used the

Late comers to the party

thornaby

I'm glad that's at last being acknowledged. It's normally a case of "We stood alone... we beat the Nazis all by ourselves with a little bit of belated support from the Yanks and the Reds""

well funny that iv never read anything like that then

liverpool

Agree completely

By *elboy321Man  over a year ago

Paisley

"While one food bank stays open it is an obscenity in my opinion. "

Correct, an obscene amount of money while we have food banks throughout the UK helping those in need.

Johnson and his vile tories dont give a toss for anyone apart from their rich donor's

By *elboy321Man  over a year ago

Paisley

100% agree, the flagshaggers will be cumming bucketloads.

Preston

I'm glad that's at last being acknowledged. It's normally a case of "We stood alone... we beat the Nazis all by ourselves with a little bit of belated support from the Yanks and the Reds"

well funny that iv never read anything like that then "

Me neither

It's funny how people on here totally rewrite history

Correct, an obscene amount of money while we have food banks throughout the UK helping those in need.

Johnson and his vile tories dont give a toss for anyone apart from their rich donor's "

thornaby

Me neither

It's funny how people on here totally rewrite history "

I had this last week with a regular on here making shit up and changing words arounf to suit his agenda it’s standard on here now tho

liverpool

Johnson and his vile tories dont give a toss for anyone apart from their rich donor's "

liverpool

Me neither

Who has rewrote history?

westerham

Me neither

Don’t worry the person responsible already said they only wrote it to get a reaction

Takes all sorts

Me neither

Indeed they did

Far to many think The Russians & The Americans had

Nothing to do with it .

It was old Blighty that won it they'd say.

Don’t worry the person responsible already said they only wrote it to get a reaction

Takes all sorts "

Indeed they did

Nothing to do with it .

It was old Blighty that won it they'd say

thornaby

Me neither

Indeed they did

Nothing to do with it .

Takes all sorts

Indeed they did

Nothing to do with it .

"

can you show any post that as said that then aw do you just like making shite up out of boredom

Me neither

Indeed they did

Nothing to do with it .

Takes all sorts

Indeed they did

Nothing to do with it .

can you show any post that as said that then aw do you just like making shite up out of boredom "

I need to show workings out ?

Having read so many of "yours & your crews posts "

I didnt think we need to proof stuff .

thornaby

Me neither

Indeed they did

Nothing to do with it .

Takes all sorts

Indeed they did

Nothing to do with it .

can you show any post that as said that then aw do you just like making shite up out of boredom

"

so you can’t then there’s a shock

Me neither

Indeed they did

Nothing to do with it .

Takes all sorts

Indeed they did

Nothing to do with it .

so you can’t then there’s a shock "

Oh i can

Im just not going to .

I'll keep it for something far Juicier & deserving of a ban for the Author if the mods deem it so .

» Add a new message to this topic