FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Liverpools Heritage

Liverpools Heritage

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *heBirminghamWeekend OP   Man  over a year ago

here

Interesting trying to unpick the issues going on with the Unesco recommendation that Liverpool has World Heritage status removed ...

It would appear there is a very fine balance between regeneration and historical preservation

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *otlovefun42Couple  over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

It's all Everton's fault.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"Interesting trying to unpick the issues going on with the Unesco recommendation that Liverpool has World Heritage status removed ...

It would appear there is a very fine balance between regeneration and historical preservation

"

What I said to the boss, do they leave parts of the docks which are no longer used to essentially be a bit of an eyesore or develope the area?

Catch 22..

And yes the new blue nose stadium will be modern but such development can't be done to the same style as the 3 Graces..

Simply not feasible..

Mind you some of Everton's footie is of that era..

By *uliaChrisCouple  over a year ago

westerham

"Interesting trying to unpick the issues going on with the Unesco recommendation that Liverpool has World Heritage status removed ...

What I said to the boss, do they leave parts of the docks which are no longer used to essentially be a bit of an eyesore or develope the area?

Catch 22..

And yes the new blue nose stadium will be modern but such development can't be done to the same style as the 3 Graces..

Simply not feasible..

Mind you some of Everton's footie is of that era.. "

Never really understood the UNESCO bit about Liverpool anyway - even the most woke of visitors don’t go there to see the old docks and massive unused brick warehouses.

If I lived there I’d forget the whole UNESCO thing and crack on redeveloping the area into something even nicer than Albert dock.

here

Catch 22..

Simply not feasible..

Never really understood the UNESCO bit about Liverpool anyway - even the most woke of visitors don’t go there to see the old docks and massive unused brick warehouses.

If I lived there I’d forget the whole UNESCO thing and crack on redeveloping the area into something even nicer than Albert dock. "

“The city's bid was centred on its history as a major global port in the 18th and 19th Centuries, when it played a significant role in the growth of the British Empire.”

“It was a hub for the mass movement of people, including migrants from Europe to America, and had a key role in the transatlantic sl**e trade”

“Steve Rotheram, Liverpool City Region mayor, said it was a "deeply disappointing" decision and pleaded with the committee to reconsider it.

He tweeted: "We are proud of our history but our heritage is a vital part of our regeneration.”

“Nearly 30 figures from politics, football and academia signed a letter, published in the Times on Saturday, urging Unesco not to strip Liverpool of the status.”

By *uliaChrisCouple  over a year ago

westerham

Catch 22..

Simply not feasible..

If I lived there I’d forget the whole UNESCO thing and crack on redeveloping the area into something even nicer than Albert dock.

“The city's bid was centred on its history as a major global port in the 18th and 19th Centuries, when it played a significant role in the growth of the British Empire.”

“It was a hub for the mass movement of people, including migrants from Europe to America, and had a key role in the transatlantic sl**e trade”

“Steve Rotheram, Liverpool City Region mayor, said it was a "deeply disappointing" decision and pleaded with the committee to reconsider it.

He tweeted: "We are proud of our history but our heritage is a vital part of our regeneration.”

“Nearly 30 figures from politics, football and academia signed a letter, published in the Times on Saturday, urging Unesco not to strip Liverpool of the status.”

"

Hang on a minute

UNESCO recognised the dock area because of its contribution to the Empire?

That changes things. Forget the new stuff. Preserve the docks!

here

Catch 22..

Simply not feasible..

Hang on a minute

UNESCO recognised the dock area because of its contribution to the Empire?

That changes things. Forget the new stuff. Preserve the docks! "

Sorry, too late now …the regeneration has denigrated the area and original buildings so much, it is no longer considered to be a symbol of the areas proud history…. It’s not as if unesco are dropping this bomb shell on them at the last minute … it’s been an ongoing issue for unesco for 10 years or so.

There really is so much to unpick from this unfortunate situation Liverpool finds itself in…

here

No longer an UNESCO World Heritage Site

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

"No longer an UNESCO World Heritage Site

"

The Guardian described the waterfront as a Poundland Shanghai.

You can’t stop progress but you can be a little more sympathetic.

By *eanoCoolMan  over a year ago

wisbech

"No longer an UNESCO World Heritage Site

The Guardian described the waterfront as a Poundland Shanghai.

You can’t stop progress but you can be a little more sympathetic. "

Yeah I personally thought the Guardians description was very crass, not what the city needs at all.

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

Its still the only place that a Jd sports shop has a wedding dept.

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Eastbourne

"It's all Everton's fault. "

It goes back way before then.

Every fuckwit architect who designed a building along the docks, made it modern to leave his/her mark on the place.

But regeneration is a good thing, even if it looks fucking awful. Like the St.Johns shopping centre.

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

Liverpool needs to move on. The new Everton stadium at the derelict Bramley Moore dock needs to happen, as it will bring huge regeneration to the area.

Sympathetic rebuilding will benefit the local population more than any decision made by a quango.

Liverpool is more than a label.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Isn't the issue more to do with the modern buildings built around the three graces?

The ferry terminal, the museum of Liverpool and there is another one are done in a style that is totally out of place next to the three graces.

The Everton stadium is probably a red herring as its further away.

By *ovebjsMan  over a year ago

Bristol

[Removed by poster at 22/07/21 06:55:23]

By *ovebjsMan  over a year ago

Bristol

comparing the docks to the pyramids ? I mean really

here

The media reporting appears to be equally split on the announcement.

Might be interesting to get the opinion from anyone on here who is from the city?

» Add a new message to this topic