FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Tory MPs suspended

Tory MPs suspended

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *asyuk OP   Man  over a year ago

West London

Tory MPs suspended (for one day) for attempting to I fluence the judiciary.

https://metro.co.uk/2021/07/21/mps-suspended-for-trying-to-influence-judges-in--elphicke-trial-14963780/

Fbe rules have been applied, but is the penalty serious enough for something so significant?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

Interesting, that's coming up as a page not known for me.

But yes it says something is seriously wrong with parliamentary rules when MPs trying to influence a judge - an actual crime that could result in a prison sentence if you or I did it - are merely suspended for one day (and is this a day when parliament is not even in session?). Meanwhile an MP for the opposition party is given the same sentence for being honest and saying what the entire world knows, that our current PM does not know how to tell the truth.

The UK government really has been taken over by criminals...

West London

"Interesting, that's coming up as a page not known for me.

But yes it says something is seriously wrong with parliamentary rules when MPs trying to influence a judge - an actual crime that could result in a prison sentence if you or I did it - are merely suspended for one day (and is this a day when parliament is not even in session?). Meanwhile an MP for the opposition party is given the same sentence for being honest and saying what the entire world knows, that our current PM does not know how to tell the truth.

The UK government really has been taken over by criminals..."

As your single post indicates, nobody seems to care

By *L RogueMan  over a year ago

London

As your single post indicates, nobody seems to care "

The reason for that is the majority of the electorate voted for this mess. The silence is those struggling to defend it or those ashamed they called it to power. Everyone else...who knows.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Oh there will be some ludicrous deflection at some point. Just wait...

West London

Still nothing

By *L RogueMan  over a year ago

London

"Still nothing "

Not a peep...

By *atEvolutionCouple  over a year ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club. Stoke.

There you go . . .

'Labour MP Apsana Begum defrauded council out of £64,000 in social housing claims, court hears' 4 days ago.

Happens in every party every year - But at least now you can say Deflection Deflection Deflection.

West London

"There you go . . .

'Labour MP Apsana Begum defrauded council out of £64,000 in social housing claims, court hears' 4 days ago.

Happens in every party every year - But at least now you can say Deflection Deflection Deflection. "

That really is deflection.

It's not alright that she, or anyone else behaves like this.

I'm delighted she was convicted. Dishonest and criminal.

Trying to influence the judiciary though. Try to undermine the legal system as a member of Parliament though? Abuse of power and privilege...

If she goes to prison for stealing from the public purse and all those members of the public that she represents 'with all that power and privilege' it will be infinitely worse than being 'suspended for one day'. After all, why weren't the police involved? That's a rhetorical question, BTW.

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

Here's a bit more deflection, as there is nothing wrong with a bit of deflection on a Sunday...

The case of the £600k missing from the SNP coffers... aye that's an internal party matter... but wait, what's that... the SNP run Crown Office has been found to be meddling with the Police Scotland investigation... "we would prefer if you changed the wording of the investigation... in fact can you just drop it please as Nippy isnae happy aboot this".

A piece in The Times if you want a good read and a really really good example of judiciary interference/influence! (oh, almost forgot, not the first time the Crown Office has been pinged for this... you might consider this a mild pingdemic?)

Oh Dear! The SNP yet another political party messing about where they really shouldn't be messing about?

How deflecting can this all be, lol?

West London

"Here's a bit more deflection, as there is nothing wrong with a bit of deflection on a Sunday...

The case of the £600k missing from the SNP coffers... aye that's an internal party matter... but wait, what's that... the SNP run Crown Office has been found to be meddling with the Police Scotland investigation... "we would prefer if you changed the wording of the investigation... in fact can you just drop it please as Nippy isnae happy aboot this".

A piece in The Times if you want a good read and a really really good example of judiciary interference/influence! (oh, almost forgot, not the first time the Crown Office has been pinged for this... you might consider this a mild pingdemic?)

"

Quite right. Another deflection.

If the SNP have been interfering with the Crown Office then it is scandalous and they should be held to account.

Does that make what these Tory MPs did OK?

Afe you unable to say this was wrong and deserves a more severe penalty?

West London

"Oh Dear! The SNP yet another political party messing about where they really shouldn't be messing about?

How deflecting can this all be, lol? "

See above.

"Oh there will be some ludicrous deflection at some point. Just wait..."

This is what has become known as a typical post from left winger round here.

It seems to a fair few round here that you can say 'oh they'll defend/deflect'.

And this inevitably happens before anyone of a different opinion even says anything.

It's quite the playground round here these days

"Oh there will be some ludicrous deflection at some point. Just wait..."

You were right, the deflection has begun

"Oh there will be some ludicrous deflection at some point. Just wait...

You were right, the deflection has begun "

You do realise the people providing the deflection are doing so in sarcastic tones because it was announced 'they'll be along to deflection

here

"Here's a bit more deflection, as there is nothing wrong with a bit of deflection on a Sunday...

If the SNP have been interfering with the Crown Office then it is scandalous and they should be held to account.

Are you unable to say this was wrong and deserves a more severe penalty?"

George and Jean at No.42 were wittering something the other day about a few MPs who had broken a code, I originally thought it was something to do with Davinci. Anyway Jean later piped up about the wrong stationery having been used.

Neither George nor Jean are clued up on the range of punishments available to the standards committee, let alone how the members arrived at the punishment they did hand out. I didn't press them any further and let them get on with talking about the weather and asking whether I would be watching the Antiques Roadshow this week..

West London

And this inevitably happens before anyone of a different opinion even says anything.

It's quite the playground round here these days "

"Typical" in that it points out a serious failing by the government?

"Left wing" because the government is Tory?

It would be adult for someone to agree as I have, unambiguously, stated that both the convicted Labour MP and the SNP/Crown office affair were correctly criticised.

West London

Are you unable to say this was wrong and deserves a more severe penalty?

George and Jean at No.42 were wittering something the other day about a few MPs who had broken a code, I originally thought it was something to do with Davinci. Anyway Jean later piped up about the wrong stationery having been used.

Neither George nor Jean are clued up on the range of punishments available to the standards committee, let alone how the members arrived at the punishment they did hand out. I didn't press them any further and let them get on with talking about the weather and asking whether I would be watching the Antiques Roadshow this week..

"

Is the fact that sitting MPs tried to improperly inluence judges a serious matter or not?

It would be adult for someone to agree as I have, unambiguously, stated that both the convicted Labour MP and the SNP/Crown office affair were correctly criticised."

'Typical' of a 'left wing' poster.

It always comes from left wingers, and very often

Where does 'oh there will be deflection' point out anything regarding the governement?

Why should anyone agree with you, because you say so?

These MPs have been sanctioned for breaking the rules and rightly so.

Where does 'oh they'll deflect' even come into it before giving anyone the opportunity to agree or disagree?

West London

It would be adult for someone to agree as I have, unambiguously, stated that both the convicted Labour MP and the SNP/Crown office affair were correctly criticised.

Where does 'oh there will be deflection' point out anything regarding the governement?

Where does 'oh they'll deflect' even come into it before giving anyone the opportunity to agree or disagree?

"

I didn't mention nor invite deflection.

I have merely pointed it out as it happened.

You have just agreed with me,so it wasn't so hard to act like a grown-up, was it?

You have just agreed with me,so it wasn't so hard to act like a grown-up, was it?"

I didn't say you did. Hence why I quoted the person who said it and not yourself You did however state 'still nothing' in response to said poster.

Fancy growing up a bit?

here

Is the fact that sitting MPs tried to improperly inluence judges a serious matter or not?"

It is.

"Such egregious behaviour is corrosive to the rule of law and, if allowed to continue unchecked, could undermine public trust in the independence of judges."

"The MPs behaviour was found to have "caused significant damage to the reputation and integrity" of the House of Commons."

It was dealt with by their Standards Committee, the Chair of which is not a Tory.

Just pique my curiosity... why did these MPs write to senior judges involved with the case?

West London

You have just agreed with me,so it wasn't so hard to act like a grown-up, was it?

I didn't say you did. Hence why I quoted the person who said it and not yourself You did however state 'still nothing' in response to said poster.

Fancy growing up a bit?"

Did I, or was it a stand alone comment?

You seem to be annoyed about something completely unrelated to what I posted and have chosen to make several,unsuplorted, assertions.

If you feel that you have to be "right" then you are welcome to carry on on your own.

West London

Is the fact that sitting MPs tried to improperly inluence judges a serious matter or not?

It is.

"Such egregious behaviour is corrosive to the rule of law and, if allowed to continue unchecked, could undermine public trust in the independence of judges."

"The MPs behaviour was found to have "caused significant damage to the reputation and integrity" of the House of Commons."

It was dealt with by their Standards Committee, the Chair of which is not a Tory.

Just pique my curiosity... why did these MPs write to senior judges involved with the case?

"

That wasn't so hard, was it?

Suspension from Parliament for a single day for doing something so serious seems quite minimal a punishment to me. Not to you?

This was the same as for another MP, correctly, identifying the Prime Minister as a liar. The punishment was appropriate for the breach in rules but does not seem to be of equivalent severity compared to this.

They wrote to judges to influence a decision on the release of character references in the case of a fellow MP on trial for sexual assault who was ultimately convicted.

Why this would be important in this case I have no idea, but if it was not I'm not sure why they would have been motivated to try to influence judges in their decision making in such a serious case.

Fancy growing up a bit?

You seem to be annoyed about something completely unrelated to what I posted and have chosen to make several,unsuplorted, assertions.

If you feel that you have to be "right" then you are welcome to carry on on your own."

I'll state it up the second time. I didn't reply to you comment, hence I quoted the poster. You choose to engage.

It's funny you seem to have so much to say regarding me making 'several assertions' regarding you, I made one.

Even more funny when your first post on the Labour MP thread was to deflect to this subject. And now you come on this thread saying it would 'be adult to agree'

West London

Fancy growing up a bit?"

I do take your point though.

You were referring to a specific post in the thread rather than the actual point I raised.

It would be nice if, as a courtesy, people could also address the actual thread before starting side arguments and sucking out all of the air.

It does very often take a lot of patience and effort to get a direct answer from anyone in this forum.

Pefsonal insults do not help that process either.

Fancy growing up a bit?

You were referring to a specific post in the thread rather than the actual point I raised.

It would be nice if, as a courtesy, people could also address the actual thread before starting side arguments and sucking out all of the air.

It does very often take a lot of patience and effort to get a direct answer from anyone in this forum.

Pefsonal insults do not help that process either."

Which was exactly what o was getting at.

Where was the personal insult?

West London

Fancy growing up a bit?

If you feel that you have to be "right" then you are welcome to carry on on your own.

I'll state it up the second time. I didn't reply to you comment, hence I quoted the poster. You choose to engage.

It's funny you seem to have so much to say regarding me making 'several assertions' regarding you, I made one.

Even more funny when your first post on the Labour MP thread was to deflect to this subject. And now you come on this thread saying it would 'be adult to agree' "

See above.

I mistakenly read your post to imply that I was "left wing" as I, incorrectly, assumed that you were respoding to the thread as a whole because that would be a reasonable thing to do.

I didn't really say much at all.

Actually, I agreed that the punishment was appropriate for the dishonest Labour MP. It's difficult to do any more than that. I then wondered if this matter was equally serious as an additional contribution.

West London

Fancy growing up a bit?

Where was the personal insult?"

"Fancy growing up a bit?" was intended as a compliment?

Feel free to have the final word.

Fancy growing up a bit?

Feel free to have the final word."

Oh I see how it works..

It's OK for you to say 'it wasn't so hard to act like a grown-up, was it?'

But isn't OK for me to say 'fancy growing up a bit?'

You never insulted me but I did you?

If that's how you see things, I think we're done here

Fancy growing up a bit?

Feel free to have the final word.

Oh I see how it works..

It's OK for you to say 'it wasn't so hard to act like a grown-up, was it?'

But isn't OK for me to say 'fancy growing up a bit?'

You never insulted me but I did you?

If that's how you see things, I think we're done here "

First thing I thought when I read his last post. It's difficult to take posts seriously when someone is so blatantly hypocritical. Now awaiting the "deflection" which I'm sure will be along any second

here

It is.

That wasn't so hard, was it?

Suspension from Parliament for a single day for doing something so serious seems quite minimal a punishment to me. Not to you?

This was the same as for another MP, correctly, identifying the Prime Minister as a liar. The punishment was appropriate for the breach in rules but does not seem to be of equivalent severity compared to this.

They wrote to judges to influence a decision on the release of character references in the case of a fellow MP on trial for sexual assault who was ultimately convicted.

Why this would be important in this case I have no idea, but if it was not I'm not sure why they would have been motivated to try to influence judges in their decision making in such a serious case."

Ok

By *ethnmelvCouple  over a year ago

Chudleigh

Is the fact that sitting MPs tried to improperly inluence judges a serious matter or not?"

I would say yes. They should have a lot more than a one day suspension. It would seem to be at the very least contempt of court.

here

I would say yes. They should have a lot more than a one day suspension. It would seem to be at the very least contempt of court."

Off with their heads?????

Chudleigh

I would say yes. They should have a lot more than a one day suspension. It would seem to be at the very least contempt of court.

Off with their heads?????"

Now you are being silly. But corruption should be penalised.

here

Now you are being silly. But corruption should be penalised. "

What would you suggest ?

Chudleigh

What would you suggest ?"

How about investigated by the CPS and Police, if guilty, then resign as MPs and imprisoned. This Govt is corrupt & we need proper controls to stop them thinking it is one rule forvthem and another for ordinary people.

here

What would you suggest ?

How about investigated by the CPS and Police, if guilty, then resign as MPs and imprisoned. This Govt is corrupt & we need proper controls to stop them thinking it is one rule forvthem and another for ordinary people."

Thought it might be something like this…

By *ionelhutzMan  over a year ago

liverpool

As your single post indicates, nobody seems to care "

Was it on sky?

So far I've learnt that nicola sturgeon getting her house painted was relevant but the numerous financial irregularities from Alex are not?

liverpool

"There you go . . .

Happens in every party every year - But at least now you can say Deflection Deflection Deflection.

Trying to influence the judiciary though. Try to undermine the legal system as a member of Parliament though? Abuse of power and privilege..."

How can a thread about a tury mp being turned around into a debate about labour,possibly be classed as defection?

"There you go . . .

Trying to influence the judiciary though. Try to undermine the legal system as a member of Parliament though? Abuse of power and privilege...

How can a thread about a tury mp being turned around into a debate about labour,possibly be classed as defection?"

The deflection was invited as per usual and duly provided in a sarcastic way. This thread hasn't turned into a debate about labour.

Fancy checking out the thread about this said Labour MP and see it said about Conservative MPs but of course it only happens one way

"There you go . . .

How can a thread about a tury mp being turned around into a debate about labour,possibly be classed as defection?

The deflection was invited as per usual and duly provided in a sarcastic way. This thread hasn't turned into a debate about labour.

Fancy checking out the thread about this said Labour MP and see it said about Conservative MPs but of course it only happens one way "

Yup. I added the deflection simply because the deflection was invited. And I'm totally clear that it was all to do with sarcasm from the posters above me.

People who ask for serious discussion should perhaps be the ones who use it.

"There you go . . .

Fancy checking out the thread about this said Labour MP and see it said about Conservative MPs but of course it only happens one way

Yup. I added the deflection simply because the deflection was invited. And I'm totally clear that it was all to do with sarcasm from the posters above me.

"

As I said previously it's becoming standard now.

Invite sarcastic responses and then complain about said responses.

It's quite funny though so let them carry on

liverpool

Anyway...

Surely attempted bribery should carry a custodial sentence.

Lets hope not!

"Anyway...

Lets hope not!"

It hasn't yet been referred to the Police, has it?

If it is an arrestable offence, then arrest them - until then, make your voice heard with your MP.

"There you go . . .

As I said previously it's becoming standard now.

Invite sarcastic responses and then complain about said responses.

It's quite funny though so let them carry on "

Yup. lol. Plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose.

And nothing that changes stays the same.

liverpool

Maybe they should do the usual trick of letting Alex decide the what to do.. I'm fair that will be a fair decision.

I'm also certain this is an isolated example and this gmnt are honest if nothing else

"Anyway...

Lets hope not!"

Who said anything about bribery? That's a criminal offence you know. I'm sure if there was any evidence of this then you'd get unanimous support for the CPS to prosecute.

liverpool

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jul/21/tory-mps-suspended-for-trying-to-influence-judge-in-elphicke-case

Here is the full link ..mine wouldnt work before.

Trying their best to ensure an alledged victim of sexual abuse doesnt get justice.

That world honourable suits them perfectly .

Great bunch of lads.

"Anyway...

Lets hope not!

Who said anything about bribery? That's a criminal offence you know. I'm sure if there was any evidence of this then you'd get unanimous support for the CPS to prosecute."

Precisely this.

Either it's an indictable offence or it isn't! So no amount of whinging and moaning about what people want it to be will change that. But it's fun to whinge and moan and make childish snidery I guess - The weather is too hot weather is too cold lol. Perhaps God hates me.

liverpool

Wonder what it is with tories and sexual harassment?

Maybe it's in the criteria at Eton?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/may/09/woman-sexually-harassed-by-ex-hartlepool-mp-says-labour-failed-to-support-her

I wonder what . . . around and around . . . a proper yawnfest.

liverpool

Maybe if the people happy to ignore a sexual harassment case,simply because the alledged perp is a Tory, want to indulge In their usual labour whataboutery,they should start their own thread on labour mps who have tried to influence a judge.

I just think its important to keep the thread on track

"Maybe if the people happy to ignore a sexual harassment case,simply because the alledged perp is a Tory, want to indulge In their usual labour whataboutery,they should start their own thread on labour mps who have tried to influence a judge.

"

Yet YOU are the one who changed it.

By *oxychick35Couple  over a year ago

thornaby

"Wonder what it is with tories and sexual harassment?

Maybe it's in the criteria at Eton?"

maybe it’s how they have been brought up waching how poor nanny and the maid being treated lol

"Maybe if the people happy to ignore a sexual harassment case,simply because the alledged perp is a Tory, want to indulge In their usual labour whataboutery,they should start their own thread on labour mps who have tried to influence a judge.

"

Funny you haven't mentioned keeping others on track when they suit you

liverpool

"Wonder what it is with tories and sexual harassment?

Maybe it's in the criteria at Eton?maybe it’s how they have been brought up waching how poor nanny and the maid being treated lol"

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/29/no-10-denies-claims-boris-johnson-squeezed-thigh-journalist-charlotte-edwardes

Maybe there should be some sort of training course to ensure the few bad apples realise sexual assault is not acceptable in 2021.

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

"https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jul/21/tory-mps-suspended-for-trying-to-influence-judge-in-elphicke-case

Here is the full link ..mine wouldnt work before.

Trying their best to ensure an alledged victim of sexual abuse doesnt get justice.

That world honourable suits them perfectly .

Great bunch of lads."

In what way were they trying to "ensure a victim of sexual abuse didn't get justice"?

'Either it's an indictable offence or it isn't! So no amount of whinging and moaning about what people want it to be will change that. But it's fun to whinge and moan and make childish snidery I guess - The weather is too hot weather is too cold lol. Perhaps God hates me.'

Here was the thread right on track, and you changed it to . . .

" By LionelhutzFind posts by Lionelhutz Man 13 minutes ago

Wonder what it is with tories and sexual harassment?

Maybe it's in the criteria at Eton?"

Then you complain about the thread NOT being on track !!! lmfao!!!

liverpool

On the plus side at least the judge has managed to stand up to them and not be influenced, just because they are in the gmnt

Standard.

liverpool

It must be quite hard for a judge aswell to stand up for the law,when you have got members of the gmnt trying to influence what is supposed to be an independent decision.

Worrying times.

Just to put the story entirely straight - as some seem to have missed this fact - It was the Commons Standards Committee that gave the one day suspension - No judge was involved in the decision.

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

"Just to put the story entirely straight - as some seem to have missed this fact - It was the Commons Standards Committee that gave the one day suspension - No judge was involved in the decision.

"

Its quite apparent that many haven't read the background and the facts of this case!

liverpool

I'd point out that the article specifically states that they wrote to the judge ,but really what's the point?

I'm absolutely sure it's not a rather pitiful attempt to drag the thread down rather than take about the actual issue

"Just to put the story entirely straight - as some seem to have missed this fact - It was the Commons Standards Committee that gave the one day suspension - No judge was involved in the decision.

Its quite apparent that many haven't read the background and the facts of this case! "

Yup. Usual Usual

liverpool

Several cons mps have been suspended from the commons....tried to influence a judge presiding over the trial of a former colleague accused of sexual misconduct

But the story is absolutely nothing to do with a judge.

Read again - I said the Judge had NOTHING to do with the decision to suspend the MP's. The commons standards committee and the commons standards committee alone did that.

"Several cons mps have been suspended from the commons....tried to influence a judge presiding over the trial of a former colleague accused of sexual misconduct

But the story is absolutely nothing to do with a judge."

And there was me thinking they tried to bribe the judge

"Several cons mps have been suspended from the commons....tried to influence a judge presiding over the trial of a former colleague accused of sexual misconduct

But the story is absolutely nothing to do with a judge.

And there was me thinking they tried to bribe the judge "

lol

» Add a new message to this topic