FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Standards

Standards

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

"Manufacturing is at risk from serious disruption because Govt has failed to devise a suitable replacement for the EU’s safety standards system."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/brexit-red-tape-damage-uk-manufacturing-factories-b1895077.html

If this is in fact true then the government needs to get it's finger out to protect manufacturing.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

""Manufacturing is at risk from serious disruption because Govt has failed to devise a suitable replacement for the EU’s safety standards system."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/brexit-red-tape-damage-uk-manufacturing-factories-b1895077.html

If this is in fact true then the government needs to get it's finger out to protect manufacturing.

"

I would think the standards would be upheld, if only to be able to trade with the eu

By *oldswarriorMan  over a year ago

Falkirk

Saftey standards can be amended to suit.

I don't see that losing the European regulatory body, will make any difference.

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

This isn't so much about the actual standards but more to do with not having sufficient structure for UK Notified bodies - who assess the conformity of products/parts before they enter the UK market.

By *ackal1Couple  over a year ago

Manchester

"Saftey standards can be amended to suit.

"

You have to meet their standards to sell into the EU

If we have no regulation we do t have certification and therefore no standards to show .

Door closes quietly

here

If we have no regulation we do t have certification and therefore no standards to show .

Door closes quietly "

As I understand it, what you describe isn't the issue here

Manchester

Door closes quietly

"

The main gist of the article is U.K. sakes but if you read further down it mentions no U.K. standards and vice versa to trade .

So you’re right on the article and I’m right on the trade . If we don’t have standards the EU won’t sell to us and we can’t sell to them.

More detail missed in the deal.

By *oistknickersCouple  over a year ago

London

The EU standards have been abolished from food labels with the explanation that it will make it easier for trade.

The EU rules used to have the price of packaged items displayed with the price per kg or per 100g this has disappeared from my local Tesco does this make trade easier nope.

I don’t want to think about how things are going to get more difficult in everyday life, this government has no attention to detail and just explains things in the broadest possible way and has no accountability and they have a massive majority in Parliament.

Expect things to get much worse before any change, I hope I’m wrong.

here

Door closes quietly

The main gist of the article is U.K. sakes but if you read further down it mentions no U.K. standards and vice versa to trade .

So you’re right on the article and I’m right on the trade . If we don’t have standards the EU won’t sell to us and we can’t sell to them.

More detail missed in the deal. "

Still not sure you are correct in your assessment of there not being UK standards, as nearly all EU standards were transferred into UK standards prior to the UK exit.

For example, one of the UK standards for electrical product safety is testing to BS EN 60335 (which was moved over from the existing EU EN 60335 standard). Dutch manufacturer wants to sell me parts for a fridge, or sell the whole finished fridge - their parts or completed product will need to be tested and compliant to EN 60335.

The example provided towards the end of the article - air bags - doesn't say the UK doesn't have an air bag standard, what it says is the UK can't very easily provide a conformity assessment from a UK notified body to say that the air bag conforms with the UK testing standard for air bags.

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

Door closes quietly

Still not sure you are correct in your assessment of there not being UK standards, as nearly all EU standards were transferred into UK standards prior to the UK exit.

For example, one of the UK standards for electrical product safety is testing to BS EN 60335 (which was moved over from the existing EU EN 60335 standard). Dutch manufacturer wants to sell me parts for a fridge, or sell the whole finished fridge - their parts or completed product will need to be tested and compliant to EN 60335.

The example provided towards the end of the article - air bags - doesn't say the UK doesn't have an air bag standard, what it says is the UK can't very easily provide a conformity assessment from a UK notified body to say that the air bag conforms with the UK testing standard for air bags.

"

And unfortunately without a conformity assessment from a recognised body, it is impossible for any prospective buyer to know whether the product meets the required standards, and it is impossible for that buyer to provide the required certification when they pass the product along to their eventual customer. The product might well be being manufactured in the same factory by the same people using the same design, same components and same methods as it was before brexit. But the customer cannot personally inspect every factory making the goods they buy, cannot personally assess the quality standards being worked to. They have to rely on the standards certification process through the entire manufacturing chain. If that chain is broken at even a single point, the entire quality process for the final product is broken. The customer then is totally unable to verify if something is a safe and reliable item from a trustworthy manufacturer or is a sub-standard dangerous item made by an unqualified worker from reject components.

It was always the responsibility of the government effecting the UK exit from the EU to ensure that (amongst a million other things) satisfactory and mutually agreed arrangements were in place from day one to replace all quality standards, certification agencies, goods certificates etc in order to allow continued trading with the rest of the world. This was never just a criteria for sending goods to European countries, it was a problem for world wide trading, as UK exports to most everywhere were conditional on the standards certifications that we used as part of the EU. The moment that we left the EU every single one of these certifications had to be immediately revised, renegotiated, replaced or otherwise made acceptable to our overseas customers - a vast body of work and cost that like almost everything else about brexit was blithely discounted as being part of "project fear". Merely transcribing the previous EU standards into BS standards spectacularly failed to understand the scope of the problem.

By *amish SMan  over a year ago

Eastleigh

Door closes quietly "

Or why not use EU approved test facilities in the EU, problem solved.

here

Door closes quietly

And unfortunately without a conformity assessment from a recognised body, it is impossible for any prospective buyer to know whether the product meets the required standards, and it is impossible for that buyer to provide the required certification when they pass the product along to their eventual customer. The product might well be being manufactured in the same factory by the same people using the same design, same components and same methods as it was before brexit. But the customer cannot personally inspect every factory making the goods they buy, cannot personally assess the quality standards being worked to. They have to rely on the standards certification process through the entire manufacturing chain. If that chain is broken at even a single point, the entire quality process for the final product is broken. The customer then is totally unable to verify if something is a safe and reliable item from a trustworthy manufacturer or is a sub-standard dangerous item made by an unqualified worker from reject components.

It was always the responsibility of the government effecting the UK exit from the EU to ensure that (amongst a million other things) satisfactory and mutually agreed arrangements were in place from day one to replace all quality standards, certification agencies, goods certificates etc in order to allow continued trading with the rest of the world. This was never just a criteria for sending goods to European countries, it was a problem for world wide trading, as UK exports to most everywhere were conditional on the standards certifications that we used as part of the EU. The moment that we left the EU every single one of these certifications had to be immediately revised, renegotiated, replaced or otherwise made acceptable to our overseas customers - a vast body of work and cost that like almost everything else about brexit was blithely discounted as being part of "project fear". Merely transcribing the previous EU standards into BS standards spectacularly failed to understand the scope of the problem."

Some of this is relevant, some of it is not.

There is a framework in place - to suggest there is nothing, is wrong. There is a database of Approved Bodies for UKCA.

UK manufacturers/exporters ability to place products into the EU, or any other market except UK, has not changed.

Product being manufactured for or entering the UK market, regardless of where it is coming from, will use the UKCA framework that is in place - but there needs to be far more Notified Bodies to be able to deal with the volume.

Manchester

Door closes quietly

"

I’m agreeing with you just saying standards work both ways .

Manchester

Door closes quietly

Or why not use EU approved test facilities in the EU, problem solved. "

Because Boris said no we want our own!, good isn’t it! He’s a muppet!

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

Door closes quietly

It was always the responsibility of the government effecting the UK exit from the EU to ensure that (amongst a million other things) satisfactory and mutually agreed arrangements were in place from day one to replace all quality standards, certification agencies, goods certificates etc in order to allow continued trading with the rest of the world. This was never just a criteria for sending goods to European countries, it was a problem for world wide trading, as UK exports to most everywhere were conditional on the standards certifications that we used as part of the EU. The moment that we left the EU every single one of these certifications had to be immediately revised, renegotiated, replaced or otherwise made acceptable to our overseas customers - a vast body of work and cost that like almost everything else about brexit was blithely discounted as being part of "project fear". Merely transcribing the previous EU standards into BS standards spectacularly failed to understand the scope of the problem.

Some of this is relevant, some of it is not.

There is a framework in place - to suggest there is nothing, is wrong. There is a database of Approved Bodies for UKCA.

UK manufacturers/exporters ability to place products into the EU, or any other market except UK, has not changed.

Product being manufactured for or entering the UK market, regardless of where it is coming from, will use the UKCA framework that is in place - but there needs to be far more Notified Bodies to be able to deal with the volume."

Rather gobsmacked, but we are actually agreeing. Planning, or lack of planning, or underachievement in implementation of brexit has resulted in a current lack of capacity in the processes surrounding certification of goods for export, not just to the EU, but goods going everywhere in the world. There is a gap in the systems that is currently harming trade. Hopefully government is aware of this and is urgently striving to fix the problems. You appear to be more aware of the precise technicalities than I, so I assume that you are far better placed than I to appreciate what levels of harm are being caused and on what timescales solutions might be found.

» Add a new message to this topic