FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > I've Got a Plan . . . Baldrick, and it's a cunning plan . . .

I've Got a Plan . . . Baldrick, and it's a cunning plan . . .

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *atEvolution OP   Couple  over a year ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club. Stoke.

https://news.sky.com/story/labour-leader-sir-keir-starmer-would-back-wealth-taxes-to-fund-social-care-reform-but-refuses-to-reveal-plan-12403176

"Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer would 'back wealth taxes' to fund social care reform but refuses to reveal plan

The Labour leader has been criticised by his own party for failing to offer an alternative to the government's social care reform plans."

Starmer: 'The Plan is: I don't have one'.

Baldrick: 'That's a very cunning plan indeed, Sir!'

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

Labour don’t need to make plans. They are so far off power it would be a waste of time.

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

It just shocks me that the General Public are so laissez faire about the massive surge in the super rich over the last two years.

"It just shocks me that the General Public are so laissez faire about the massive surge in the super rich over the last two years."

And if the public did care (too busy living real lives I would guess) - what exactly would/could they do?

Jeremy Corbyn has double the wealth of Boris Johnson - Scarlett Johansen sued Disney because she only made $143 Million from her latest film. Online 'influencers' doing 'here look at my make-up from whatever company' is a billion $ industry just in the UK.

All the politicians who are here for the little guy are rich beyond any dream any little guy could ever muster.

People don't care because it doesn't matter to their everyday lives. It's just some random fantastical number pulled out of the sky on a red top tabloid. Envy journalism at its finest.

By *kstallionMan  over a year ago

milton keynes

"https://news.sky.com/story/labour-leader-sir-keir-starmer-would-back-wealth-taxes-to-fund-social-care-reform-but-refuses-to-reveal-plan-12403176

"Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer would 'back wealth taxes' to fund social care reform but refuses to reveal plan

The Labour leader has been criticised by his own party for failing to offer an alternative to the government's social care reform plans."

"

Have Labour announced that they will reverse this plan if they win power yet

"https://news.sky.com/story/labour-leader-sir-keir-starmer-would-back-wealth-taxes-to-fund-social-care-reform-but-refuses-to-reveal-plan-12403176

Have Labour announced that they will reverse this plan if they win power yet"

Nope.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

He's a fucking tory... There is only one plan and it's never going to do anyone any favours... Unless you are wealthy

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

"It just shocks me that the General Public are so laissez faire about the massive surge in the super rich over the last two years.

And if the public did care (too busy living real lives I would guess) - what exactly would/could they do?

Jeremy Corbyn has double the wealth of Boris Johnson - Scarlett Johansen sued Disney because she only made $143 Million from her latest film. Online 'influencers' doing 'here look at my make-up from whatever company' is a billion $ industry just in the UK.

All the politicians who are here for the little guy are rich beyond any dream any little guy could ever muster.

People don't care because it doesn't matter to their everyday lives. It's just some random fantastical number pulled out of the sky on a red top tabloid. Envy journalism at its finest.

"

Ordinary people are now being taxed at the highest level since WW2 and the richest in society have the lowest tax burden that they have ever had. It has been ordinary people who have suffered more than anyone over the last two years and it would and should be perfectly reasonable for those who have made tens of millions (and more) during the pandemic to give a little bit more. It would make absolutely no material difference to their wealth.

By *ovebjsMan  over a year ago

Bristol

"It just shocks me that the General Public are so laissez faire about the massive surge in the super rich over the last two years."

Yes footballers getting massive paycheques, racing drivers making a fortune and residing in Monaco so they don’t pay any taxes, influencers making a mint out of the the gullible.

But people still go on supporting them

By *ynecplCouple  over a year ago

Manchester (till 10th Jun)

The thing is what would happen if there was a tax on the wealthy. Most of the such as the movie stars and F1 drivers named in this thread already live in places like Monaco so would make absolutely no difference to them and bring in no extra money. The people it would hit would continue to be the low earners as they can't afford to pay accountants etc to arrange their affairs so as to be tax efficient.

It would be great headlines, with all the people on the council estates etc nodding wisely and saying "well done that will show the rich gits" but in reality no extra money would be raised.

By *oggoneMan  over a year ago

Derry

"the poor see themselves not as an exploited proletariat but as temporarily embarrassed millionaires"

By *otlovefun42Couple  over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

Wealth tax. Oh yes it would be a bit like Hollande's 75% top rate in France a few years back.

End result: No gain for the French treasury and, based on French population, London became France's 6th biggest city.

Didn't last long.

By *irtylittletramp100TV/TS  over a year ago

Notts

Tax rich people give it to poor people.... simples lol worked for Robin Hood! Give poor people swords so they can rob rich people? Super tax champagne lol

milton keynes

Have Labour announced that they will reverse this plan if they win power yet

Nope. "

Seems a missed opportunity. If the opposition parties are against it and believe lots of voters are against it then simply pledge to reverse it

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

Labour are in shambles. They have just briefly put a prominent young member under investigation for calling out and opposing transphobia which according to that member is rife within the party.

What a shit show.

By *uddy laneMan  over a year ago

dudley

It is a den of racist, antisemite, homophobic, transphobic, islamphobic haters.

It's only the Labour Politicians that already sit in the upper house and the only way that they are going to shape the future of governmental policy in this country for the foreseeable future.

milton keynes

"It's only the Labour Politicians that already sit in the upper house and the only way that they are going to shape the future of governmental policy in this country for the foreseeable future."

No need to panic as starmer has said the answer is to tax landlords instead- good idea or problematic

"It's only the Labour Politicians that already sit in the upper house and the only way that they are going to shape the future of governmental policy in this country for the foreseeable future.

No need to panic as starmer has said the answer is to tax landlords instead- good idea or problematic"

lol. A random stab at a policy? Yea co's landlords are just the absolute goldmine of possible funding. Charge the Landlords more tax watch rents go through the roof!

milton keynes

"It's only the Labour Politicians that already sit in the upper house and the only way that they are going to shape the future of governmental policy in this country for the foreseeable future.

No need to panic as starmer has said the answer is to tax landlords instead- good idea or problematic

lol. A random stab at a policy? Yea co's landlords are just the absolute goldmine of possible funding. Charge the Landlords more tax watch rents go through the roof!"

I'm sure those renting will be full of praise to see that happen. Of course some get their rent subsided if on benefits which means the government of the day would have to pay for the increased rents that they created. What's not to like lol

By *xhib12Man  over a year ago

Blyth

lol. A random stab at a policy? Yea co's landlords are just the absolute goldmine of possible funding. Charge the Landlords more tax watch rents go through the roof!"

As a landlord I can guarantee that if my tax burden was to increase purely because I was a landlord, then that cost would be passed on to my tenants. Why should I shoulder the extra cost? Furthermore, there's every chance I'd just empty my properties and sell them, as would many other landlords. Not a route any government would want to go down!

By *heRazorsEdgeMan  over a year ago

Wales/ All over UK

lol. A random stab at a policy? Yea co's landlords are just the absolute goldmine of possible funding. Charge the Landlords more tax watch rents go through the roof!

As a landlord I can guarantee that if my tax burden was to increase purely because I was a landlord, then that cost would be passed on to my tenants. Why should I shoulder the extra cost? Furthermore, there's every chance I'd just empty my properties and sell them, as would many other landlords. Not a route any government would want to go down!"

May free up properties for people looking to buy and get off the cycle of ridiculous rents

By *ackal1Couple  over a year ago

Manchester

We don’t need to put tax rates at 75% just the highest rate of 45% but make everyone pay it and especially the richer element of society. Close the offshore routes snd dividend tax breaks.

They mostly won’t leave as London is the preferred tax centre snd city to reside in. Money likes safe places so we need all G7 to join.

If any people leave so what. They don’t pay tax anyway so no difference. If a few stay it’s more money in the pot.

The G7 agreed to stop the moving of profits to low tax regimes such as Eire the British Virgin Islands etc snd try to shut some companies tax loopholes . All companies “except financial service companies” and guess who called for and supported that exemption?? Yes our Tory government.

As most tax avoidance is handled by financial service companies the whole thing was public gesture politics. It will have no effect.

The EU are trying to clamp down on avoidance but our leaders think that’s a bad thing. Nothing to do with their financial backers of course. And definitely nothing to do with their future consultancies and non executive roles after leaving Parliament.

By *ealthy_and_HungMan  over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

so labour have the same cunning tory plan as Ca-moron and Osbourne did in the noughties, but back then the feeble minded lapped it up and voted tory.

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

As a landlord I can guarantee that if my tax burden was to increase purely because I was a landlord, then that cost would be passed on to my tenants. Why should I shoulder the extra cost? Furthermore, there's every chance I'd just empty my properties and sell them, as would many other landlords. Not a route any government would want to go down!"

By *ealthy_and_HungMan  over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

but this would surely cause rents/house prices to be reduced and brextremists promised cheaper homes as a plus point. so what's the problem.

By *drianukMan  over a year ago

Spain, Lancs

"but this would surely cause rents/house prices to be reduced and brextremists promised cheaper homes as a plus point. so what's the problem. "

Yawn, yawn... your bitterness is ugly

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

Loss of rental properties actually pushes prices up.

milton keynes

"Loss of rental properties actually pushes prices up. "

Yep, simple supply and demand. Also more money has to be paid out in benefits to cover those that can claim for rent.

By *rLibertineMan  over a year ago

North Suffolk

"but this would surely cause rents/house prices to be reduced and brextremists promised cheaper homes as a plus point. so what's the problem. "

not sure in the history of the world that a reduction in supply has resulted in prices dropping - maybe there are some examples but i don’t think it’s the norm.

» Add a new message to this topic