FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Gove. Oh dear.

Gove. Oh dear.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Some old recordings of Gove have come to light. In them, he's openly racist, homophobic, sexist and classist.

The sad thing is, I wasn't even surprised to hear him say things like "the fuzzy wuzzies can't look after themselves".

I was also unsurprised to hear the utter contempt he seems to hold the North in: “We are at last experiencing a new empire: an empire where the happy south stamps over the cruel, dirty, toothless face of the northerner."

There was more. They were just the highlights.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *00STERMan  over a year ago

nearby

I’m sure glad there are no recordings of some of my conversations from the late 80s … luckily I’ve grown a lot since then, matured and have a different outlook to life and other people.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"I’m sure glad there are no recordings of some of my conversations from the late 80s … luckily I’ve grown a lot since then, matured and have a different outlook to life and other people. "

We’re you homophobic, racist and sexist in your early 20s?

By *adetMan  over a year ago

Ipswich

"I’m sure glad there are no recordings of some of my conversations from the late 80s … luckily I’ve grown a lot since then, matured and have a different outlook to life and other people. "

Good on you. I heard a fair few homophobic comments years ago and I don't anymore. I for one wouldn't be childish enough to hold it against anyone that changed as they matured. Let's all go forward together, not backwards

"I’m sure glad there are no recordings of some of my conversations from the late 80s … luckily I’ve grown a lot since then, matured and have a different outlook to life and other people.

Good on you. I heard a fair few homophobic comments years ago and I don't anymore. I for one wouldn't be childish enough to hold it against anyone that changed as they matured. Let's all go forward together, not backwards "

Of course, he can acknowledge what he said was unacceptable and apologise first

By *adetMan  over a year ago

Ipswich

"I’m sure glad there are no recordings of some of my conversations from the late 80s … luckily I’ve grown a lot since then, matured and have a different outlook to life and other people.

Good on you. I heard a fair few homophobic comments years ago and I don't anymore. I for one wouldn't be childish enough to hold it against anyone that changed as they matured. Let's all go forward together, not backwards

Of course, he can acknowledge what he said was unacceptable and apologise first "

Apologise to who? He doesn't need to apologise to me if that's what you're suggesting

By *kstallionMan  over a year ago

milton keynes

"Some old recordings of Gove have come to light. In them, he's openly racist, homophobic, sexist and classist.

The sad thing is, I wasn't even surprised to hear him say things like "the fuzzy wuzzies can't look after themselves".

I was also unsurprised to hear the utter contempt he seems to hold the North in: “We are at last experiencing a new empire: an empire where the happy south stamps over the cruel, dirty, toothless face of the northerner."

"

When you say old recordings just how old are we talking about?

nearby

"

I made comments that came in to all of those categories in my late teens early twenties yes.. mostly before I moved away from where I lived ventured out in to the big wide world … met new and different people and cultures and grew as a person.

nearby

"Some old recordings of Gove have come to light. In them, he's openly racist, homophobic, sexist and classist.

When you say old recordings just how old are we talking about? "

Late 80s / early 90s by the sounds of things whilst at uni

By *V-AliceTV/TS  over a year ago

Ayr

"

I was. Alternative comedy and Billy Bragg eventually cured me. LOL

[Removed by poster at 14/09/21 23:27:24]

Maybe it's worth mentioning Gove was an adult when he said these things. He wasn't just a dumb kid saying dumb things.

These also were not things he d*unkenly said down the pub to try and impress some dickhead mates. And he didn't come up with these things off the cuff. He said these things in formal debates. He'd thought about them and written them down first.

And if anybody wants to argue that Gove became a nicer, better person over time... um ... this is Gove we're talking about.

Anwyway, feel free to go back to defending the odious Gove.

(I'm curious why these recordings were found now, though. I wonder who's trying to screw him at this particular time and why.)

(Did a bit of googling. Gove apparently made some of the odious comments in 1993, when he would have been 26.)

Doesn't matter how long ago he said them - the fact is that he was an adult when he said them, thought them, believed them and articulated these views in public. Then he became an MP and a political figure with power and influence over British public policy.

There were major campaigns against racism back when he said these things. They were odious beliefs then and definitely now. Since the reports have come out, I haven't seen anywhere where he's acknowledged saying them and apologised.

Once an odious little racist Tory, always a scumbag.

nearby

"

Once an odious little racist Tory, always a scumbag."

Congratulations on an amazing bit of prejudice.

"

Congratulations on an amazing bit of prejudice. "

She's judging Gove based on things he wrote and said. (And likely odious things he has done later in life when in government too.) That's the opposite of prejudice.

By *ary_JosephCouple  over a year ago

South Shields

Absolutely...I bet we've all said and did some cringeworthy shit in the past.

By *ary_JosephCouple  over a year ago

South Shields

I made comments that came in to all of those categories in my late teens early twenties yes.. mostly before I moved away from where I lived ventured out in to the big wide world … met new and different people and cultures and grew as a person."

By *olcanoJoeMan  over a year ago

Edinburgh

Given his bosses track record with racism, I daresay it'll be a insincere semi-apology and he won't even get a slap on the wrist.

"

Congratulations on an amazing bit of prejudice. "

You're welcome x My prejudices never hurt other people.

Apologise to who? He doesn't need to apologise to me if that's what you're suggesting "

So you think what he said was acceptable? He is a government minister

nearby

Apologise to who? He doesn't need to apologise to me if that's what you're suggesting

So you think what he said was acceptable? He is a government minister "

But not said whilst a government minister. He was at uni and a good 30 years ago. All this is, is someone with an axe to grind brining up old dirt from a bygone time because they don’t have anything recent to use. Same thing that happened to people like James Gunn, another who has changed since he was a young man before gaining the experiences life can bring you through.

nearby

"

Congratulations on an amazing bit of prejudice.

You're welcome x My prejudices never hurt other people."

So saying someone will always be a scumbag because they support the tory’s and have in the past said something racist does not hurt them?

Pretty sure getting called a scumbag can hurt just as much as a sexist name or a resist name.

What you really mean is that you dont care if your prejudices hurt people that you don’t agree with or like.

But not said whilst a government minister. He was at uni and a good 30 years ago. All this is, is someone with an axe to grind brining up old dirt from a bygone time because they don’t have anything recent to use. Same thing that happened to people like James Gunn, another who has changed since he was a young man before gaining the experiences life can bring you through."

He was 23,

By *ony 2016Man  over a year ago

Huddersfield /derby cinemas

"(I'm curious why these recordings were found now, though. I wonder who's trying to screw him at this particular time and why.)"
, , , my thoughts exactly , however did notice a slight shift in opinion polls with Labour closing ground but one report suggesting this was not Labour gaining support more the tories losing votes apparently to Reform ( ex UKIP /BrexitParty ) , so if the tories are losing votes at the extreme right wing of their party a story about a minister and racist comments may not be a bad thing for them and bring a few of their racist voters back on board

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

But not said whilst a government minister. He was at uni and a good 30 years ago. All this is, is someone with an axe to grind brining up old dirt from a bygone time because they don’t have anything recent to use. Same thing that happened to people like James Gunn, another who has changed since he was a young man before gaining the experiences life can bring you through.

He was 23, "

Probably on the devils dandruff at the time.

He was 23, Probably on the devils dandruff at the time. "

He has been on it ever since

By *kstallionMan  over a year ago

milton keynes

But not said whilst a government minister. He was at uni and a good 30 years ago. All this is, is someone with an axe to grind brining up old dirt from a bygone time because they don’t have anything recent to use. Same thing that happened to people like James Gunn, another who has changed since he was a young man before gaining the experiences life can bring you through."

Could be correct there as today is the reshuffle. Might have been a bit of manoeuvring. Someone once said he who is without sin cast the first stone

The real question is: will Johnson - who has said sexist, racist, homophobic and classist things - condemn Gove for saying sexist, racist, homophobic and classist things.

"The real question is: will Johnson - who has said sexist, racist, homophobic and classist things - condemn Gove for saying sexist, racist, homophobic and classist things. "

No, he'll promote him. It's how things work for this govt.

By *ony 2016Man  over a year ago

Huddersfield /derby cinemas

In the week that Gove's comments appear he is given the job as Housing Minister , which , even if you are a fan of Gove and Johnson and you voted Tory and for the Tory brexit should make you realise the type of people leading you

By *estivalMan  over a year ago

borehamwood

"In the week that Gove's comments appear he is given the job as Housing Minister , which , even if you are a fan of Gove and Johnson and you voted Tory and for the Tory brexit should make you realise the type of people leading you"
nobody who voted for them really cares what sort of people they are they voted for yhem for one reason only to get brexit over the line once that was done they have no intrest in what they get up to,the only ones with a problem with the torys are the ones who didnt vote for them

If anybody wants to see what Johnson and Gove truly thought of Brexit, look up their reaction after they learned they'd won the Brexit referendum. They both looked utterly miserable. They looked very far from happy and victorious.

I'm guessing it was because they knew damn well Brexit was an awful idea. They simply rode the Brexit train because they thought it would benefit them politically. They likely thought they would lose, then they could make a couple of rousing speeches about how they'd fought the good fight. Then life could continue as normal. Except with another rung up the ladder for them.

But when they realised they'd have to deliver on the impossible promises they'd made... uh oh...

"In the week that Gove's comments appear he is given the job as Housing Minister , which , even if you are a fan of Gove and Johnson and you voted Tory and for the Tory brexit should make you realise the type of people leading you"

The type of people leading us are the best people for the job. Honest. Sincere. Truthful. Loyal. True blue. Take no prisoners. Sort of people you could sit around the Christmas Dinner table with your mother. No other party even close.

Just look at the last votes in the last general location. Most of the country voted Tory. We don't count Scotland. Up the tories. 10 more years.

By *ealthy_and_HungMan  over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

gove ... little wonder the country is in such an utter mess.

"In the week that Gove's comments appear he is given the job as Housing Minister , which , even if you are a fan of Gove and Johnson and you voted Tory and for the Tory brexit should make you realise the type of people leading you

The type of people leading us are the best people for the job. Honest. Sincere. Truthful. Loyal. True blue. Take no prisoners. Sort of people you could sit around the Christmas Dinner table with your mother. No other party even close.

Just look at the last votes in the last general location. Most of the country voted Tory. We don't count Scotland. Up the tories. 10 more years. "

"In the week that Gove's comments appear he is given the job as Housing Minister , which , even if you are a fan of Gove and Johnson and you voted Tory and for the Tory brexit should make you realise the type of people leading you

Just look at the last votes in the last general location. Most of the country voted Tory. We don't count Scotland. Up the tories. 10 more years. "

Hahahaha

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

“Jon Bon Govi “

By *or Fox SakeCouple  over a year ago

Thornaby

Good on you. I heard a fair few homophobic comments years ago and I don't anymore. I for one wouldn't be childish enough to hold it against anyone that changed as they matured. Let's all go forward together, not backwards "

When you say "forward" how is taking twenty quid a week off the poorest "forward?"

By *eanoCoolMan  over a year ago

wisbech

"I’m sure glad there are no recordings of some of my conversations from the late 80s … luckily I’ve grown a lot since then, matured and have a different outlook to life and other pe ople.

When you say "forward" how is taking twenty quid a week off the poorest "forward?""

How is that even remotely relevant to this thread?, its plain to see the poster was using the word forward in a completely different context on a completely different subject.

By *or Fox SakeCouple  over a year ago

Thornaby

"I’m sure glad there are no recordings of some of my conversations from the late 80s … luckily I’ve grown a lot since then, matured and have a different outlook to life and other pe ople.

When you say "forward" how is taking twenty quid a week off the poorest "forward?"

How is that even remotely relevant to this thread?, its plain to see the poster was using the word forward in a completely different context on a completely different subject."

Forward - advance, improve, make better

BoZo ?? - going backwards, making life harder, worse

wisbech

[Removed by poster at 07/10/21 11:11:24]

wisbech

How is that even remotely relevant to this thread?, its plain to see the poster was using the word forward in a completely different context on a completely different subject.

Forward - advance, improve, make better

BoZo ?? - going backwards, making life harder, worse"

Brilliant, but thats got fuck all to do with gove and homophobia has it.

» Add a new message to this topic