FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > The winter of our discontent

The winter of our discontent

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *bernath OP   Couple  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

This winter it appears is going to tough, very tough, energy prices going up, food shortages, and shortages of fizzy drink.

Considering all this is going on, do you think its a positive or negative situation we are facing?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

A shortage of fizzy drinks is no bad thing for the health of the nation, and let's face it many people in the UK eat far too much so food shortages might not be such a bad thing too.

By *V-AliceTV/TS  over a year ago

Ayr

"This winter it appears is going to tough, very tough, energy prices going up, food shortages, and shortages of fizzy drink.

Considering all this is going on, do you think its a positive or negative situation we are facing?"

Well, Boris has had this to say on the prospect of a "tough winter", for many Britons:

"I don't believe people will be short of food - and wages are actually rising."

Clearly, this fuckwit doesn't realise that people are already going short of food - and the numbers in that position have increased since Osborne was Chancellor.

That's what all the food banks sprang up for, you dozy cunt! People with a conscience trying to prevent hunger - on your Party's watch - in the 5th or 6th richest economy on the planet.

Maybe that's why he thinks people won't be short of food this winter? Charities will always step in to alleviate the damage his kind are happy to do to the vulnerable.

Also, not everyone's wages are rising. The minimum wage hasn't increased - and that's the wage a lot of the 40% of working UC recipients are on - and not all of that 40% are in full-time work.

All those job vacancies in the leisure and hospitality sector? The vast majority of them are not highly skilled and highly paid; employers aren't offering those people double the minimum wage to attract them, are they?

Still, it's easy to dismiss the reality of the less fortunate if you've never experienced it for a single day of your life - and it's even easier when you know they don't vote for you.

He continues to display the same level of ignorance and indifference he always has - though, to be fair to him, this time, it's not likely to cost over 120,000 lives.

By *ealthy_and_HungMan  over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

the tory party should've been fixing the roof while the sun was shinning instead of acting like political piggies feeding at the trough. but like all capitalist experiments they have run out of other peoples money yet again.

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

“ Forget your troubles, c'mon get happy”

Cake and Dancing is back on the telly

By *ackal1Couple  over a year ago

Manchester

So this is the true face of Boris and our political masters. Don’t ask me anything difficult unless there’s a fridge I can hide in and if you do then his aides tell you to be quiet.

Not allowed to question the PM on his own statements now!! This is just sinister manipulation.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1494601/Boris-Johnson-US-free-trade-deal-channel-4-gary-gibbons-joe-biden-latest-news-video-vn

The truth is Boris just lies constantly. He is a disgrace.

By *estivalMan  over a year ago

borehamwood

"So this is the true face of Boris and our political masters. Don’t ask me anything difficult unless there’s a fridge I can hide in and if you do then his aides tell you to be quiet.

Not allowed to question the PM on his own statements now!! This is just sinister manipulation.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1494601/Boris-Johnson-US-free-trade-deal-channel-4-gary-gibbons-joe-biden-latest-news-video-vn

The truth is Boris just lies constantly. He is a disgrace. "

wel i never a politician constantly lying who would of thought it,im speechless there all so honest usually,damn that boris fellow for bringing shame on politicians they were all so honest before bozo became p.m

By *atEvolutionCouple  over a year ago

atlantisEVOLUTION Swingers Club. Stoke.

Winter doesn't start until the 21 December so let's not tempt this lovely weather we are all having.

CO2 Shortages will be felt across the whole of Europe . . .

"Nippon Gases, which sold almost $1.5bn of industrial gases on the continent last year, said “other countries in Europe will also suffer shortages” of CO2, estimating that its supplies had fallen 50 per cent across the region."

Food shortages are already being felt in France. Germany and Italy.

Drivers shortages are already happening in France. Germany and Italy.

Go read Bild/Monde/Ansa.

Spain? - well they are already in a whole lot of trouble! Same with Greece. Long before the pandemic. Can't imagine it getting better anytime soon.

So we are really not that unique in our current woes.

Go check it yourselves don't take my word for it.

Ayr

"Winter doesn't start until the 21 December so let's not tempt this lovely weather we are all having.

"Nippon Gases, which sold almost $1.5bn of industrial gases on the continent last year, said “other countries in Europe will also suffer shortages” of CO2, estimating that its supplies had fallen 50 per cent across the region."

Go read Bild/Monde/Ansa.

Spain? - well they are already in a whole lot of trouble! Same with Greece. Long before the pandemic. Can't imagine it getting better anytime soon.

"

So, it's just as shit everywhere else and our incompetent government is off the hook?

Thank fuck for that.

So people can't talk about the rest of europe?

Thank fuck you told me!

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

"Winter doesn't start until the 21 December so let's not tempt this lovely weather we are all having.

Go read Bild/Monde/Ansa.

So, it's just as shit everywhere else and our incompetent government is off the hook?

Thank fuck for that."

Going by that statement you seem to have tunnel vision take a leaf out of the tory book and look globally

Ayr

Go read Bild/Monde/Ansa.

Thank fuck for that. Going by that statement you seem to have tunnel vision take a leaf out of the tory book and look globally "

Really? That's it? The global Tory view is "look over there, they're just as shit as we are".

As for tunnel vision; pot and kettle. LOL

Their's an old chinese proverb 'when man find sink-hole is his garden he be silly silly not to look into other garden and search for similar sink-hole. Only in this way can he solve general sink-hole problem'.

World issues are better solved as world problems.

Or maybe we could just whinge at it instead!

Manchester

"So this is the true face of Boris and our political masters. Don’t ask me anything difficult unless there’s a fridge I can hide in and if you do then his aides tell you to be quiet.

The truth is Boris just lies constantly. He is a disgrace. wel i never a politician constantly lying who would of thought it,im speechless there all so honest usually,damn that boris fellow for bringing shame on politicians they were all so honest before bozo became p.m "

The PM isn’t supposed to lie though is he! Politicians are always economical with the truth but this guy just says black is white and fuck you if it isn’t.

It becoming the norm to say what fits the narrative rather than reality and notice the aides telling journalists to be quiet so he can speak about something else. He’s being challenged about the bullshit and then the reporter is shut down.

Putin would be proud.

By *andy 1Couple  over a year ago

northeast

Go read Bild/Monde/Ansa.

"

By *estivalMan  over a year ago

borehamwood

The truth is Boris just lies constantly. He is a disgrace. wel i never a politician constantly lying who would of thought it,im speechless there all so honest usually,damn that boris fellow for bringing shame on politicians they were all so honest before bozo became p.m

The PM isn’t supposed to lie though is he! Politicians are always economical with the truth but this guy just says black is white and fuck you if it isn’t.

It becoming the norm to say what fits the narrative rather than reality and notice the aides telling journalists to be quiet so he can speak about something else. He’s being challenged about the bullshit and then the reporter is shut down.

Putin would be proud. "

i didnt think any politician is sposed to lie but shock horror they all do,tony blair there are weapons of mass destruction,jo swinson i belive in democracy,jezza corbyn here is our manifesto loads of free stuff and we have costed it all honestly and then bozo who talks utter bollox aswell although my problem with boris is he says he will do one thing then changes his mind when the children on twatter start throwing there toys out the pram or when his latest bit of skirt decides to stick her oar in

Manchester

The truth is Boris just lies constantly. He is a disgrace. wel i never a politician constantly lying who would of thought it,im speechless there all so honest usually,damn that boris fellow for bringing shame on politicians they were all so honest before bozo became p.m

Putin would be proud. i didnt think any politician is sposed to lie but shock horror they all do,tony blair there are weapons of mass destruction,jo swinson i belive in democracy,jezza corbyn here is our manifesto loads of free stuff and we have costed it all honestly and then bozo who talks utter bollox aswell although my problem with boris is he says he will do one thing then changes his mind when the children on twatter start throwing there toys out the pram or when his latest bit of skirt decides to stick her oar in"

I agree with all of that including Blair who should be in jail but I’m talking about the long standing principal in parliament that the only person who is supposed to be above reproach is the person sitting at the top ie the PM.

He can’t be called a liar as it is presumed he respects the office and won’t lie. He blatantly doesn’t give a fuck!

Manchester

Go read Bild/Monde/Ansa.

"

I agree there are problems everywhere but pointing and saying look over there can’t be used to deflect serious questions. CO2 is a vital infrastructure product to the U.K. apparently, so why is 75% of it controlled by Americans? Same with Chinese being allowed to build our power stations. The same country we are arming Australia against. That sounds safe for the future then.

Also do you in all honestly think Brexit resulting in workers leaving and now Brexit is “done” the subsequent refusal of the Tories to allow the likes of carers, process workers or HGV drivers to be allowed in isn’t just making our problems even worse than they should be?

We’re not bringing in rules on EU imports as the government are not even close to being ready. (remember Gove “business must be ready” )

If we have problems they should adapt to help business not sit behind the bullshit of strong government taking tough decisions. Delaying Brexit rules isn’t tough it’s incompetence.

I’m guessing the furlough ending will supply a few willing workers but I doubt enough.

meanwhile in this country the tory government continue their catastrophic policy of selling every part of our infrastructure to foreign interests and make tax payers money vanish with absolutely nothing to show for it.

The government doesn't sell private companies - private companies do.

the government continues to sell our infrastructure .... i know this has helped

I think that you are talking about denationalisation.

you don't now what i am talking about, but then you haven't a clue what you are talking about either .... no need to thank me

Oh dear dear dear.

By *lirty-CoupleCouple  over a year ago

Bexley

"meanwhile in this country the tory government continue their catastrophic policy of selling every part of our infrastructure to foreign interests and make tax payers money vanish with absolutely nothing to show for it."

Yes it was all so much better when it was all publicly owned and you had no choice about such things as telephone or utilities provider. Companies like British Steel, British Leyland, British Rail as all worked so well and we were all so happy when the lights when out and we had a 3 day day week in the 1970's... lol

"meanwhile in this country the tory government continue their catastrophic policy of selling every part of our infrastructure to foreign interests and make tax payers money vanish with absolutely nothing to show for it.

Yes it was all so much better when it was all publicly owned and you had no choice about such things as telephone or utilities provider. Companies like British Steel, British Leyland, British Rail as all worked so well and we were all so happy when the lights when out and we had a 3 day day week in the 1970's... lol"

See. Someone gets it lol. Corby tried to get it back too lmao.

By *rauntonbananaMan  over a year ago

Braunton

There were food banks about under the last Labour government!!

tory governmentts policy of selling the infrastructure hasn't improved the situation ... the infrstructure owned by foreign interests and nothing to show for it lol

Gloucestershire

Many people seem to think this is quite a negative situation, can anyone give an alternative view. People must be really worried.

"This winter it appears is going to tough, very tough, energy prices going up, food shortages, and shortages of fizzy drink.

Considering all this is going on, do you think its a positive or negative situation we are facing?"

Got any good news ?

[Removed by poster at 23/09/21 19:30:36]

Considering all this is going on, do you think its a positive or negative situation we are facing?

Got any good news ?"

There's amusing posts from the tory fuckup hardliners still thinking this shit government are doing well.

Got any good news ?"

The tory shite are adopting socialist fixes to repair the capitalist fuck ups lol

By *ovebjsMan  over a year ago

Bristol

People seem to forget that the prices we have been paying for gas was kept at a level by capping it so the companies could not pass on increases.

Now it come to the point where the ones giving better deals were right on the wire and have now gone belly up because they cannot increase their prices.

Until we as a country go full bore at solar,wind and hydro things will not get any better.

and now erratic petrol/diesel supplies going forward. the wheels really have fallen off for the tory government. they wanted to take the country back to a time before the EEC .... every day looks increasingly like we've arrived back in 1972 ... anyone got any spare candles?

Manchester

"and now erratic petrol/diesel supplies going forward. the wheels really have fallen off for the tory government. they wanted to take the country back to a time before the EEC .... every day looks increasingly like we've arrived back in 1972 ... anyone got any spare candles?"

According to Boris in New York we have increased our GDP by 78% in the last 30 years .. that nasty EU is to be avoided obviously!!

The Tories are well known for being a bit kinky so maybe they miss the self flagellation of begging the IMF for money !!

Gloucestershire

Where are the people who support the government over the past five years? Surely they must be able to provide a rebuttal?

"Where are the people who support the government over the past five years? Surely they must be able to provide a rebuttal?

"

The people who support the government tend to say things like "but what about that thing over there in another country?" Or "but they all lie on all sides." That's about as close as anybody can get to praising our government. Our current government is appalling.

By *amish SMan  over a year ago

Eastleigh

All politicians lie, except ours when it comes to covid. Our German company owner won't visit us as he believes that our covid infection rate is nearly 4 x Germany's. When I sent him the EU statista evidence, and not some UK fake news as he calls it, on weekly testing and positive cases found for week 36 for his country, German infection rate is nearly double ours for that week. Looks like the German politicians lie as well, or don't believe their medical specialists. Very convenient seeing as they go to the polls tomorrow.

germany has no bearing on this countries corrupt tory government whos policy decisions have led us to this disasterous point in time.

"All politicians lie, except ours when it comes to covid. Our German company owner won't visit us as he believes that our covid infection rate is nearly 4 x Germany's. When I sent him the EU statista evidence, and not some UK fake news as he calls it, on weekly testing and positive cases found for week 36 for his country, German infection rate is nearly double ours for that week. Looks like the German politicians lie as well, or don't believe their medical specialists. Very convenient seeing as they go to the polls tomorrow. "

This post is hilariously ironic if you read the post I wrote just above it.

Gloucestershire

So again there must be something positive about these fuel shortages and price increases. People who are right wing must have something great to say aboit this.

"So again there must be something positive about these fuel shortages and price increases. People who are right wing must have something great to say aboit this."

They really don't. Their replies tend to fall into 1 of the following categories:

-Fuel shortage? What fuel shortage?

- But there are fuel shortages just like ours everywhere. Look over at that country!

- I blame the people! Nothing to do with our noble government. It's all the fault of stupid people for panicking!

-Brexit didn't cause any of this. It wasn't even a factor!

Gloucestershire

"So again there must be something positive about these fuel shortages and price increases. People who are right wing must have something great to say aboit this.

They really don't. Their replies tend to fall into 1 of the following categories:

- But there are fuel shortages just like ours everywhere. Look over at that country!

- I blame the people! Nothing to do with our noble government. It's all the fault of stupid people for panicking!

-Brexit didn't cause any of this. It wasn't even a factor!"

Very good a deflecting blame, why can’t they just own it?

By *or Fox SakeCouple  over a year ago

Thornaby

"So again there must be something positive about these fuel shortages and price increases. People who are right wing must have something great to say aboit this.

-Brexit didn't cause any of this. It wasn't even a factor!"

That is genuinely funny

Bristol

In the beginning some journalist reported that BP had to close 6 service stations because they could not get the delivery to them.

Then it got reported on the news (slow news day)

Someone said don’t panic there’s plenty of fuel !!!

Que all the fuckwits who started panic buying and facebooking their contacts to say they were getting in before it runs out

STAMPEDE!!!!

near ipswich

"In the beginning some journalist reported that BP had to close 6 service stations because they could not get the delivery to them.

Que all the fuckwits who started panic buying and facebooking their contacts to say they were getting in before it runs out

STAMPEDE!!!!

"

yes funny how this had been going on for weeks and no adverse effects until the media got hold of it.

Bristol

[Removed by poster at 04/10/21 12:25:44]

Bristol

"In the beginning some journalist reported that BP had to close 6 service stations because they could not get the delivery to them.

STAMPEDE!!!!

yes funny how this had been going on for weeks and no adverse effects until the media got hold of it. "

Yup toilet rolls all over again

Gloucestershire

STAMPEDE!!!!

yes funny how this had been going on for weeks and no adverse effects until the media got hold of it.

Yup toilet rolls all over again "

Which jounalist and which newspaper?, find the root cause and then sue their ass. This is a class example of irresponsible jounalism.

Thornaby

STAMPEDE!!!!

Which jounalist and which newspaper?, find the root cause and then sue their ass. This is a class example of irresponsible jounalism."

Classic "the government has fucked up massive on a variety of major issues, but let's go after the press for daring to point the many and frequent government failures out, failing that blame the forrins"

Bristol

STAMPEDE!!!!

Which jounalist and which newspaper?, find the root cause and then sue their ass. This is a class example of irresponsible jounalism."

Yea ok

Gloucestershire

STAMPEDE!!!!

Which jounalist and which newspaper?, find the root cause and then sue their ass. This is a class example of irresponsible jounalism.

Classic "the government has fucked up massive on a variety of major issues, but let's go after the press for daring to point the many and frequent government failures out, failing that blame the forrins""

Not denying that the current government has had a hand this debacle, but its the irresponsibilty of certain news outlets and ability to turn a drama into a crisis, then making the crisis out of a drama.

Thornaby

STAMPEDE!!!!

Classic "the government has fucked up massive on a variety of major issues, but let's go after the press for daring to point the many and frequent government failures out, failing that blame the forrins"

Not denying that the current government has had a hand this debacle, but its the irresponsibilty of certain news outlets and ability to turn a drama into a crisis, then making the crisis out of a drama. "

When you say "has a hand in this debacle" do you mean their finger prints are all over it and a bloody knife is in the glove compartment?

Gloucestershire

STAMPEDE!!!!

Not denying that the current government has had a hand this debacle, but its the irresponsibilty of certain news outlets and ability to turn a drama into a crisis, then making the crisis out of a drama.

When you say "has a hand in this debacle" do you mean their finger prints are all over it and a bloody knife is in the glove compartment?"

If the evidence points to it, then yeah, amd who was the driver of the get away vehicle? The irresponsible Journalist! Accessory to the “muurredder”! (Worst taggart impersonation here!)

Ayr

"yes funny how this had been going on for weeks and no adverse effects until the media got hold of it. "

It's barely been two weeks. The only people keeping it going now live in the SE of England.

I'm sure none of them consider it panic buying; rather they're merely exercising their God given entitlement to fuel.

It is sad and funny that v shortly after I predicted the lines people trot out to excuse the situation, somebody basically trotted out one of the lines.

near ipswich

You can blame nord stream 2 for the energy prices it was always going to happen.

The russians want to run it as its private monopoly but eu rules state they cannot as its against their rules hence a standoff, russia puts a neckhold on eu supplies with prices rising 100% in a month while saying if the pipeline was opened immediately they could supply another 5.6 billion cubic metres this year bringing prices down.All this while cutting the flow through the Ukraine, a win win for Putin and predicted by a few member states which was totally ignored.

Gloucestershire

Considering all this is going on, do you think its a positive or negative situation we are facing? You can blame nord stream 2 for the energy prices it was always going to happen.

The russians want to run it as its private monopoly but eu rules state they cannot as its against their rules hence a standoff, russia puts a neckhold on eu supplies with prices rising 100% in a month while saying if the pipeline was opened immediately they could supply another 5.6 billion cubic metres this year bringing prices down.All this while cutting the flow through the Ukraine, a win win for Putin and predicted by a few member states which was totally ignored. "

And yet our government causes more problems on top of it. The perfect storm nes pa?

2 more years till next election, I wonder what easily avoidable problems are they going to make into full a full blown crisis.

By *irtylittletramp100TV/TS  over a year ago

Notts

I'm in a warm house eating a frangipani croissant with a lavazzo coffee... so discontented!

By *eanoCoolMan  over a year ago

wisbech

Considering all this is going on, do you think its a positive or negative situation we are facing? You can blame nord stream 2 for the energy prices it was always going to happen.

The russians want to run it as its private monopoly but eu rules state they cannot as its against their rules hence a standoff, russia puts a neckhold on eu supplies with prices rising 100% in a month while saying if the pipeline was opened immediately they could supply another 5.6 billion cubic metres this year bringing prices down.All this while cutting the flow through the Ukraine, a win win for Putin and predicted by a few member states which was totally ignored.

And yet our government causes more problems on top of it. The perfect storm nes pa?

2 more years till next election, I wonder what easily avoidable problems are they going to make into full a full blown crisis."

Our issues with gas are not the same as the EU because we purchase the majority of our gas from Norway and not Russia, but Mr putins games with the EU are having a massive effect on the global price which does effect every country that uses gas as a form of energy. The sharp rises in gas price is due to increased demand the world over as economy's come back on line. Our storage facilities that were decommissioned and not replaced would of helped to smooth out the peeks in price rises but they still would have risen due to the world waking up after the pandemic.

Gloucestershire

"I'm in a warm house eating a frangipani croissant with a lavazzo coffee... so discontented! "

Sadly not many people can do that tonight, but I am sure you can spare a thought for them.

Notts

"I'm in a warm house eating a frangipani croissant with a lavazzo coffee... so discontented!

Sadly not many people can do that tonight, but I am sure you can spare a thought for them."

Yes they can't sit on their tablet writing nonsense either, good job you're there for them!

By *mateur100Man  over a year ago

nr faversham

Our friends across the channel threatening illegal blockades because they don't get fishing licences will help no end

Notts

Putin is giving the world a free lesson, make your own power food etc or be someone else's bitch!

Gloucestershire

"I'm in a warm house eating a frangipani croissant with a lavazzo coffee... so discontented!

Sadly not many people can do that tonight, but I am sure you can spare a thought for them.

Yes they can't sit on their tablet writing nonsense either, good job you're there for them! "

doubtful, I am sure you would agree, at least I have a heart, the dust in your chest cavity can attest to that

By *rFunBoyMan  over a year ago

Longridge

Gas / Electricity bills to rise by £500-£600 next year.

I managed to fix for 3 years with EDF a few weeks back just before hikes started, which went up the day after I signed up for the same deal.

At least I can defer the shock a few yew years.

I'd suggest if anyone can find a long term deal lower than the current CAP, that they take it ASAP. Many providers allow free contract termination or not a lot to pay and worth considering to refix cheaper for another 3 years.

Notts

Yes they can't sit on their tablet writing nonsense either, good job you're there for them!

doubtful, I am sure you would agree, at least I have a heart, the dust in your chest cavity can attest to that "

one of those pretend hearts babes, oh i love the environment and trees but ive never actually planted one, OMG im not getting my nails dirty... so caring.... soooooooo FAKE!

Gloucestershire

doubtful, I am sure you would agree, at least I have a heart, the dust in your chest cavity can attest to that

one of those pretend hearts babes, oh i love the environment and trees but ive never actually planted one, OMG im not getting my nails dirty... so caring.... soooooooo FAKE! "

Actually….

Look on the bright side..

While everyone else struggles to get by and pays for the government expenditure , the millionaires will be in their mansions, scoffing caviar and guzzling champagne down their gullets while their offshore bank sccounts swell

near ipswich

"Look on the bright side..

While everyone else struggles to get by and pays for the government expenditure , the millionaires will be in their mansions, scoffing caviar and guzzling champagne down their gullets while their offshore bank sccounts swell "

i take it you dont like rich people.

While everyone else struggles to get by and pays for the government expenditure , the millionaires will be in their mansions, scoffing caviar and guzzling champagne down their gullets while their offshore bank sccounts swell i take it you dont like rich people. "

just the sneaky greedy feckers looking to avoid tax when they can easily afford it, Madame guillotine would sort them out.

Notts

While everyone else struggles to get by and pays for the government expenditure , the millionaires will be in their mansions, scoffing caviar and guzzling champagne down their gullets while their offshore bank sccounts swell i take it you dont like rich people.

just the sneaky greedy feckers looking to avoid tax when they can easily afford it, Madame guillotine would sort them out.

"

why did she go out of fashion!

While everyone else struggles to get by and pays for the government expenditure , the millionaires will be in their mansions, scoffing caviar and guzzling champagne down their gullets while their offshore bank sccounts swell i take it you dont like rich people.

why did she go out of fashion! "

Neck rash

Gloucestershire

While everyone else struggles to get by and pays for the government expenditure , the millionaires will be in their mansions, scoffing caviar and guzzling champagne down their gullets while their offshore bank sccounts swell i take it you dont like rich people. "

I don’t believe the rich are that bad, they should be paying their fair share though, some do, but many don’t, fair taxes for all would be good. Take VAT for example, or Council Tax, not the fairest especially on low income people with expensive properties.

But this government does nothing to address the inequality, happy to keep throwing money down the drain, and not collecting it properly.

Longridge

Like putting the house you desire into a companies asset portfolio, to then buy said company and close it - thus avoiding £312k Stamp Duty.

It's great when you can afford the accountants and lawyers to do it, rich from a guy claiming such behaviour is morally bankrupt.

Nothing against the have's, my issue is the avoidance of fair payments and profiteering from it.

By *isfits behaving badlyCouple  over a year ago

Coventry

It's all looking very dark, we should probably all huddle for warm.

Longridge

Now, after forcing nurses to accept 3%, councils are now offer 1.75% pay rises.

Going to be a great winter!!

Gloucestershire

"Now, after forcing nurses to accept 3%, councils are now offer 1.75% pay rises.

Going to be a great winter!!"

This a symptom rather than the root cause, bad management of the economy coupled with wasting public funds, this government are no longer a party of fiscal responsibility, its just one crisis after another, I don’t know how anyone can still support them.

Longridge

Now, pulling the rabbit out the hat!!

'BlowJob' goes on TV telling private companies to pay better wages to drivers. Supermarkets respond by paying bonuses to drivers and retainers as an inventive to stay along with said 'wage rises' as suggested..

5000 jobs announced across the EU, 137 responses..

Now, council drivers seeing the greener grass on the other side are leaving, thus leaving Bin Lorry and Gritter drivers short or Winter.

What a phuckin perfect home goal Boris!!

"So again there must be something positive about these fuel shortages and price increases. People who are right wing must have something great to say aboit this."

It keeps the plebs off the street. Happy now?

Gloucestershire

It keeps the plebs off the street. Happy now? "

On one hand it sounds positive, less traffic on the roads, therefore less pollution, I suspect, a good way of cutting carbon emissions maybe.

It could be argued that by making people even poorer would do wonders for the environment, forcing people into doing without.

On the other hand, it just proves the tories want to bring us back to victorian age. Poorhouse anyone?

It keeps the plebs off the street. Happy now?

On one hand it sounds positive, less traffic on the roads, therefore less pollution, I suspect, a good way of cutting carbon emissions maybe.

It could be argued that by making people even poorer would do wonders for the environment, forcing people into doing without.

On the other hand, it just proves the tories want to bring us back to victorian age. Poorhouse anyone?"

Oh I'm sure they'd love the majority of us being little more than serfs, wearing rags and working the land.

Poorhouse?

Maybe a citizens wage is the way to go?

There are increasingly large swathes of the country which are struggling to achieve productivity and skill sets that are going to be economically viable in years to come. The march of globalisation, AI/Ml, Automation and an increasing global population competing for resources are all going to make it much tougher.

Whilst we can point fingers at this or that failing in a Govt of a particular leaning - many in the west are complacent and entitled as we’ve become accustomed to high standards. That’s changing now that the rest of world want a slice of that pie too.

Adapt or die as they say.

Longridge

Works for the CCP

"Works for the CCP"

The superpower of the future.

Longridge

They'll be knocking at the door anytime soon.. just the small issue of unification with Taiwan to deal with first..

Longridge

Did someone mention the ports are getting backlogged.

Always wondered where the terms "log jammed" and "back logged" came from.. from the floaty logs heading down river to saw Mills of years yonder.

ALDI got Turkeys today, should have put on FB and watch the panic buyers arrive..

Anyway, chest freezer's full, £59 each on Xmas Eve will cover the cost of Christmas. I'll even defrost two days before..

By *L RogueMan  over a year ago

London

one of those pretend hearts babes, oh i love the environment and trees but ive never actually planted one, OMG im not getting my nails dirty... so caring.... soooooooo FAKE! "

Britain today: Doesn't affect me, not a problem. Sad...

Manchester

"Like putting the house you desire into a companies asset portfolio, to then buy said company and close it - thus avoiding £312k Stamp Duty.

It's great when you can afford the accountants and lawyers to do it, rich from a guy claiming such behaviour is morally bankrupt.

Nothing against the have's, my issue is the avoidance of fair payments and profiteering from it."

This

Eastleigh

Global fuel prices are bad for everyone. Generally they don't last as they lead to other market pressures and price drops happen. The worst thing in global economy is for people to keep money in their pockets, if they are not buying, knock on effects work back through the various sectors, resulting in price drops to part people from their cash. It takes time, the seeds are sown, just look at how much China has cut down, power stations on reduced output, coal mines on restricted output.

Putin is not daft, and I doubt he would be that stupid to price up gas, and sell less of it. If he don't sell it now as the world market outside Russia becomes less dependant on gas, he will have missed the boat. High prices now increase the drive to alternatives and that will hinder him further. It is a complex picture with many issues interlinked creating the problems now.

I saw a big tin of quality streets on sale for £3.99. This is certainly the best bargain of the winter so far

Gloucestershire

"Global fuel prices are bad for everyone. Generally they don't last as they lead to other market pressures and price drops happen. The worst thing in global economy is for people to keep money in their pockets, if they are not buying, knock on effects work back through the various sectors, resulting in price drops to part people from their cash. It takes time, the seeds are sown, just look at how much China has cut down, power stations on reduced output, coal mines on restricted output.

Putin is not daft, and I doubt he would be that stupid to price up gas, and sell less of it. If he don't sell it now as the world market outside Russia becomes less dependant on gas, he will have missed the boat. High prices now increase the drive to alternatives and that will hinder him further. It is a complex picture with many issues interlinked creating the problems now. "

A valid arguement, what goes up must come down, it has before in the past, the problem is this now, there are more barriers to make the return to normalcy quicker.

There is surplus, but getting it to market is tricky. It not for the want, its the lack of workers, tarrifs on goods going out making us a less viable option, and importing goods which cannot be manufactured here have tarrifs, associated cost due to paperwork to still our largest market.

Whilst I agree that price falls will happen, its going to take a much longer time to get costs dropping.

In that time, even the most staunchest supporter of this current administration are going to lose faith. Which is the biggest problem in the foreeable future.

Eastleigh

Watch this space, check out the EU OSS / IOSS system, they introduced it, weren't ready and now in fighting over who owes what to who. The idea was great, but typical EU implementation.

Manchester

"Watch this space, check out the EU OSS / IOSS system, they introduced it, weren't ready and now in fighting over who owes what to who. The idea was great, but typical EU implementation. "

IOSS is a great idea I agree and seeing as it’s implementation is very new I’m sure a lot of individual countries are having teething issues. It’s designed for small parcel type b2c business so can aide online retail for both large and small operations. It’s designed mainly to help small business. It’s irrelevant for larger and higher value individual shipments.

To complain about the EU is very rich considering the U.K. government have had since 2016 to prepare for B2B business with the EU and their best estimate for implementation on import checks and facilities being ready is mid 2022.

So kettle calling the pot here big time.

Most of the big issues on exports since the transition period ended, have been due to U.K. customs and border force not being prepared. Not the EU.

Before Brexit the U.K. smaller online retailers accounted for more sales into other European countries than any other country. We lead the field. I’m not sure how far we’ve fallen but been told it’s a long way. IOSS may be a lifeline for those small businesses so I wouldn’t knock it too much. Oh and the U.K. worked on it before we left so was it our fault too that it’s got teething issues?

Eastleigh

IOSS, great idea it is, sadly causing hassle even in the EU between member states. We retail from the UK and have few problems into EU states but there are problems of French customs demanding VAT on the doorstep on a parcel sent from other EU states, even though French VAT was charged at point of sale. This is really upsetting the customers, and has also been reported in Italy and Spain.

We had no real input, but seem more ready than most states. These IOSS and EOSS schemes were introduced as the EU states in 2016 could not agree on an EU wide common VAT rate.

The systems work well, we retail globally to business and private customers and modern shipping software is the way ahead, as it codes the shipment before it is even packed. Problem is when customers ring and say 'can I add to my order' sadly not. Customs in the receiving country will soon see a shipment before it has even left the retailer. That can't be bad.

» Add a new message to this topic