North Sea gas

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ebjonnson OP   Man  over a year ago

Maldon

Has it all gone?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

the southern fields such as the leman, hewitt rough, and indi have all been decommissioned now as have been going since the 60,s and were the main source of N sea gas.

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

A lot of North Sea gas hasn't got a high enough calorific value to meet UK standards. Some is blended to bring it upto the right value.

Many European countries do use this lower standard gas.

near ipswich

Like all natural resources they run out eventually and my guess it will be the downfall of the human race rather than global warming.

By *ornucopiaMan  over a year ago

Bexley

"Like all natural resources they run out eventually and my guess it will be the downfall of the human race rather than global warming. "

Global cooling, here we come.

What a surprise twist!

By *ittleAcornMan  over a year ago

"Like all natural resources they run out eventually and my guess it will be the downfall of the human race rather than global warming.

"

I am semi-hopeful around both cases. When forced humankind does get stuff done. The recent vaccines are a case in point.

It's just that we are pretty poor at taking the long view. It's all like handing your coursework in, leave it till the evening before.

I do think it is going to get bad, and many millions (billions?) of people are going to suffer first.

But once countries start falling apart, and migration really starts happening (millions of people on the move). Then the rich nations will start to properly fund looking for the solutions.

There is a chance that it will be too little too late. But I think renewable energy that is far cheaper to produce, and less impactful on the climate is not far away for starters (it's mostly here now, just needs honing).

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Like all natural resources they run out eventually and my guess it will be the downfall of the human race rather than global warming.

What a surprise twist!"

They already tried that scare tactic back in the early 70's. Solution back then was cover up the north pole with black spot in order to melt the ice and warm the planet up a bit. Time magazine in 74 did an interesting feature on it.

near ipswich

I am semi-hopeful around both cases. When forced humankind does get stuff done. The recent vaccines are a case in point.

It's just that we are pretty poor at taking the long view. It's all like handing your coursework in, leave it till the evening before.

I do think it is going to get bad, and many millions (billions?) of people are going to suffer first.

But once countries start falling apart, and migration really starts happening (millions of people on the move). Then the rich nations will start to properly fund looking for the solutions.

There is a chance that it will be too little too late. But I think renewable energy that is far cheaper to produce, and less impactful on the climate is not far away for starters (it's mostly here now, just needs honing)."

There is no solution the planet is overcrowded gas, oil lithium and all the other minerals will eventually run out and the world will go backwards with wars over the last remaining ones, this planet was never going to sustain humans forever but humans being humans are too arrogant to accept these facts just be thankful you was around in this era.

By *oxychick35Couple  over a year ago

thornaby

It’s already started to be replaced with the worlds biggest offshore wind farm of the Yorkshire coast lol

By *eanoCoolMan  over a year ago

wisbech

There is a chance that it will be too little too late. But I think renewable energy that is far cheaper to produce, and less impactful on the climate is not far away for starters (it's mostly here now, just needs honing).There is no solution the planet is overcrowded gas, oil lithium and all the other minerals will eventually run out and the world will go backwards with wars over the last remaining ones, this planet was never going to sustain humans forever but humans being humans are too arrogant to accept these facts just be thankful you was around in this era."

Over population really is the main issue here, we have a lot to learn from the animal species regarding this, yet funny enough not a single government around the world ever mentions population, we as a species have caused all our current issues and will continue to do so to our own ruination in the end no doubt.

near ipswich

There is a chance that it will be too little too late. But I think renewable energy that is far cheaper to produce, and less impactful on the climate is not far away for starters (it's mostly here now, just needs honing).There is no solution the planet is overcrowded gas, oil lithium and all the other minerals will eventually run out and the world will go backwards with wars over the last remaining ones, this planet was never going to sustain humans forever but humans being humans are too arrogant to accept these facts just be thankful you was around in this era.

Over population really is the main issue here, we have a lot to learn from the animal species regarding this, yet funny enough not a single government around the world ever mentions population, we as a species have caused all our current issues and will continue to do so to our own ruination in the end no doubt."

Exactly but the problem is the world needs to keep repopulating to pay for the old take china for example their one child policy has now bit them in the arse firstly a lack of women now as they all wanted sons and have upped it to 3 because they now realise they wont have enough people to work or pay for an aging population.

There is a chance that it will be too little too late. But I think renewable energy that is far cheaper to produce, and less impactful on the climate is not far away for starters (it's mostly here now, just needs honing).There is no solution the planet is overcrowded gas, oil lithium and all the other minerals will eventually run out and the world will go backwards with wars over the last remaining ones, this planet was never going to sustain humans forever but humans being humans are too arrogant to accept these facts just be thankful you was around in this era.

"

Nope, going to have to disagree.

There are some partial solutions already, and others (as yet undreamt of) waiting in the wings.

Not more than a handful of generations you could be killed by a scratch, due to infection. Pretty much any cancer would kill you, and many viruses and other microbes were deadly. We've mostly overcome a lot of those issues.

I think for a long time they were the most pressing and urgent issues. Focus is now (slowly) changing, I think we will see huge leaps in renewable energy and less damaging food production, because that need is becoming the most pressing.

The planet is not overcrowded, it's that we are not very efficient at using the resources and are actually really crap at producing food (or more accurately distributing it evenly).

One day, not too, soon it will seem amazing to people that we grew so much food, to feed to animals, to eat some of that animal. Algae and other food sources will be exploited in very efficient ways.

There are other waste areas that will be addressed also, recycling is a joke at present in most countries.

near ipswich

There are some partial solutions already, and others (as yet undreamt of) waiting in the wings.

Not more than a handful of generations you could be killed by a scratch, due to infection. Pretty much any cancer would kill you, and many viruses and other microbes were deadly. We've mostly overcome a lot of those issues.

I think for a long time they were the most pressing and urgent issues. Focus is now (slowly) changing, I think we will see huge leaps in renewable energy and less damaging food production, because that need is becoming the most pressing.

The planet is not overcrowded, it's that we are not very efficient at using the resources and are actually really crap at producing food (or more accurately distributing it evenly).

One day, not too, soon it will seem amazing to people that we grew so much food, to feed to animals, to eat some of that animal. Algae and other food sources will be exploited in very efficient ways.

There are other waste areas that will be addressed also, recycling is a joke at present in most countries."

I hope you are right of course but i dont see it that way the stuff we rely on is not infinite.

There are other waste areas that will be addressed also, recycling is a joke at present in most countries. I hope you are right of course but i dont see it that way the stuff we rely on is not infinite.

"

Me too!

;-)

But put it like this, the stuff we rely on has changed dramatically over the millennia of human civilisation.

Flint and wild animals, plants.

Copper, clay, wheat/rice, domesticated animals.

Iron and wheat/rice/turnips.

Iron, coal, and wheat/rice/potatoes.

Cotton, iron and coal, wheat/rice/potatoes/sugar (getting fed up with the food bit).

Oil, iron and coal.

Oil, gas, plastic, lithium, heavy metals, and iron.

Gas, plastic, wind/sun etc.

I missed off wood and a fair few other things! But you get the gist. Our requirements to survive change all the time. Yup lithium, fossil fuels, etc. are limited, but so will be our reliance on them. Something will come along to replace them...

near ipswich

There are other waste areas that will be addressed also, recycling is a joke at present in most countries. I hope you are right of course but i dont see it that way the stuff we rely on is not infinite.

Me too!

;-)

But put it like this, the stuff we rely on has changed dramatically over the millennia of human civilisation.

Cotton, iron and coal, wheat/rice/potatoes/sugar (getting fed up with the food bit).

Oil, iron and coal.

I missed off wood and a fair few other things! But you get the gist. Our requirements to survive change all the time. Yup lithium, fossil fuels, etc. are limited, but so will be our reliance on them. Something will come along to replace them...

"

how much iron ore do you think there is left? and get your point about recycling how much has been left to rust in the past and can it keep up with future needs.Yes necessity is the mother of invention can we replace oil for making plastics what will replace plastic? who knows but im guessing humans will be gone from this world long before the sun burns out and there is no world.

Me too!

;-)

Oil, iron and coal.

how much iron ore do you think there is left? and get your point about recycling how much has been left to rust in the past and can it keep up with future needs.Yes necessity is the mother of invention can we replace oil for making plastics what will replace plastic? who knows but im guessing humans will be gone from this world long before the sun burns out and there is no world. "

Wood is renewable (properly managed) and new wood products that can replace steel are in production already.

You then have Bioplastics, again in production already.

near ipswich

Me too!

;-)

Oil, iron and coal.

how much iron ore do you think there is left? and get your point about recycling how much has been left to rust in the past and can it keep up with future needs.Yes necessity is the mother of invention can we replace oil for making plastics what will replace plastic? who knows but im guessing humans will be gone from this world long before the sun burns out and there is no world.

Wood is renewable (properly managed) and new wood products that can replace steel are in production already.

You then have Bioplastics, again in production already."

I applaud your optimism mate but in the words of private frazier we are all doomed im just glad i was about now and not another 500 years time.

By *ebjonnson OP   Man  over a year ago

Maldon

Me too!

;-)

Oil, iron and coal.

You then have Bioplastics, again in production already. I applaud your optimism mate but in the words of private frazier we are all doomed im just glad i was about now and not another 500 years time."

I wonder if people said or thought that 500 years ago?

By *isfits behaving badlyCouple  over a year ago

Coventry

It wouldn't surprise me if the opportunity isn't taken to push franking again. After all people are more agreeable when desperate and being hit in the pocket. And it probably works out more cost effective at current prices.

By *inkywife1981Couple  over a year ago

A town near you

I'm sure I really somewhere recently that cold fusion was a likely source of energy in the very near future!

Not sure about that but none the less surely we could look to renewable energy such as solar farm and tidal wave power etc

By *ichiebigMan  over a year ago

nenagh

100 years ago the population of the world was approximately 2 billion, today the population is approximately 8 billion +, in the remaining 80 years of the 20th century, we had huge wars in Russia, China, Africa and Asia not to mention ww2, also mass famine in places like China, India africa etc. Many hundreds of millions people died in these terrible events, that is hundreds of millions out of a population of a couple of billion,

We are now into the third decade of the 21st century, the wars we have endured this century have resulted in minuscule casualties compared to the wars of the previous century, and there have been no famines,

So, how is nature, mother earth, god, (call it what you will)

Going to control this explosion in population growth, through all of human existence wars, famine and pandemics have done the trick, what have we to look forward to, of course the elephant in the room is that today, humans possess what they did not possess in previous eras is the ability to utterly destroy ourselves with the flick of a switch, we are being totally nieve if we believe that nuclear weapons will not be used in some way in the near future, I think the deiety that controls our destiny has something pretty drastic in store for the human race

"100 years ago the population of the world was approximately 2 billion, today the population is approximately 8 billion +, in the remaining 80 years of the 20th century, we had huge wars in Russia, China, Africa and Asia not to mention ww2, also mass famine in places like China, India africa etc. Many hundreds of millions people died in these terrible events, that is hundreds of millions out of a population of a couple of billion,

We are now into the third decade of the 21st century, the wars we have endured this century have resulted in minuscule casualties compared to the wars of the previous century, and there have been no famines,

So, how is nature, mother earth, god, (call it what you will)

Going to control this explosion in population growth, through all of human existence wars, famine and pandemics have done the trick, what have we to look forward to, of course the elephant in the room is that today, humans possess what they did not possess in previous eras is the ability to utterly destroy ourselves with the flick of a switch, we are being totally nieve if we believe that nuclear weapons will not be used in some way in the near future, I think the deiety that controls our destiny has something pretty drastic in store for the human race "

Not sure if worldwide nuke bombardment would be hi on the agenda for population control. The people at the top wouldn't want an uninhabitable planet to live on during the fallout.

Also who gets to decide the numbers? What unelected think-tank, billionaires, scientists, dictators, philanthropists, tech moguls, media magnates and royalty have the task of somehow reducing population? Who gets to play god....if he or she exists?

What a surprise twist!"

We’ll still have warming. Sun’s getting hotter every few years

"It wouldn't surprise me if the opportunity isn't taken to push franking again. After all people are more agreeable when desperate and being hit in the pocket. And it probably works out more cost effective at current prices."

Saves having to lick those stamps too! Yuk!

By *rFunBoyMan  over a year ago

Longridge

[Removed by poster at 11/10/21 22:58:38]

By *rFunBoyMan  over a year ago

Longridge

"I'm sure I really somewhere recently that cold fusion was a likely source of energy in the very near future!

Not sure about that but none the less surely we could look to renewable energy such as solar farm and tidal wave power etc"

Governments have sat too long on their hands hoping for a miracle that didn't arrive to bail them out and now we are all paying for it. This is why they threw so much money at it.

I'd look even closer than that for home. 5 years ago, I decided bank interest rates was crap and better use some money to buy solar panels for home.

It was a gamble so approached some companies under the infamous FIT scheme which was overpriced and under powered and the reasons along with 'rent-a-roof' schemes have given it such a bad name.

While driving around, how many houses have solar installed? Less than 1 in 20?

I ended up purchasing the whole system off eBay, all brand new a d excellent quality branded units.

People took the piss out of me, said I was wasting my money.

These are the same people that are now complaining electricity is over 27p per kilowatt. The cost of my unit is now covered just 5yrs later and generate 70-80% of what is used making the annual electricity bill £125 plus S/C.

I run an air conditioners (£350 each - eBay) for 6 hours a day in summer for cooling and for heating in winter whether home or not.

Last two years, I have used 4500kw paying for only 900kw. Next year switching from lead acid to 25kwh lithium as now cheaper to address the 900kw and allow heat pumps to be used at night.

If anyone lives in their own place, with income of less than £30k, don't miss out on Green Energy Grant which is running until December to apply. You'll get a £5000 installation for £1400 and on benefits, completely free.

I am installing Solar Thermal and another 10x PV panels in spring and expect gas to be down from £450 to £75 and later convert boiler to LPG to disconnect gas supply and use boiler on only bad days of winter.

Unless WE take the initiative to install renewables ourselves, the planet is doomed. Solar farms just let someone else deal with the problem at a cost to the consumer.

If you have savings earning little interest, get something that will pay better rates by reducing bills which will never get cheaper.

NET ZERO is complete "blah-blah-blah" bullshit, we can easily remove 80% of domestic CO2 right now using our roofs, tanks and batteries, so if they took this as a first step at least it is well down the road with only the bad days in December/January usage to worry about and that can be offset in other, cheaper ways.

My system has paid for itself offsetting against savings on bills and turned renewables into a hobby that pays me, so if anyone wants advice on Solar PV, Solar Thermal and Tanks or Battery storage - drop me a line.

» Add a new message to this topic