FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Can the current government be trusted with the economy?

Can the current government be trusted with the economy?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *bernath OP   Couple  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

Most thinkers would say that the current government would considered a safe pair of hands for our economy but in the past ten years We’ve seen the cost of living increase, life chances being reduced, our supply chains being ruined and more red tape at our borders and cuts to business support in growth areas so the question is can our government be trusted with our economy anymore?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

No. The only place they put the money is into their own pockets.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"No. The only place they put the money is into their own pockets. "

And their chum's

There's 1 obvious answer to the OP:

hahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahaha

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

"Most thinkers would say that the current government would considered a safe pair of hands for our economy but in the past ten years We’ve seen the cost of living increase, life chances being reduced, our supply chains being ruined and more red tape at our borders and cuts to business support in growth areas so the question is can our government be trusted with our economy anymore?"

Theresa May had the most incompetent Cabinet in living memory…. And then along came Boris Johnson.

I am fairly sure that even the most fervent Brexit supporters are now feeling somewhat alarmed at what is now going on.

I don’t think there has ever been a time in history when a country has marched headlong into an upcoming winter of discontent knowing absolutely that it need not be this way.

By *ealthy_and_HungMan  over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

No

I think it's a lot more nuanced than you would think. A lot of very powerful people lost a lot of money during this pandemic and they will want it back. The vaccine rollout delayed the pounds devaluation due to brexit, but we are beginning to see it now.

I think the pandemic caused 100,000s to return home to their birth country as well as people to take early retirement in the UK. I feel what we are seeing with HGV drivers will spread across to other sectors. The inflated wages leading to hyperinflation (or near as damn it) in this country.

History tells us that after a time of major economic upheaval follows war. So the question for me isn't can we trust this government with the economy. Rather, what can the government do to stop the rather bleak prediction I've made.

By *irtylittletramp100TV/TS  over a year ago

Notts

Didnt labour famously leave the jar empty, so let's trust them

By *uietbloke67Man  over a year ago

outside your bedroom window ;-)

"Didnt labour famously leave the jar empty, so let's trust them "

Think youll find that was a Tory quote and nearly 13 years ago...jeez

By *mateur100Man  over a year ago

nr faversham

"Didnt labour famously leave the jar empty, so let's trust them

Think youll find that was a Tory quote and nearly 13 years ago...jeez "

Does that mean that in 13years people might just shut up about Brexit?

"Does that mean that in 13years people might just shut up about Brexit?"

the brextremists banged on and on and on about brexit for 45 years. now they have what they want they will doubtless bang on and on and on about it for at least another 45 years.

By *ovebjsMan  over a year ago

Bristol

"Does that mean that in 13years people might just shut up about Brexit?

the brextremists banged on and on and on about brexit for 45 years. now they have what they want they will doubtless bang on and on and on about it for at least another 45 years. "

But it seems to be the remaining camp that keep on bringing it up with quip’s like another Brexit bonus

Bristol

"Most thinkers would say that the current government would considered a safe pair of hands for our economy but in the past ten years We’ve seen the cost of living increase, life chances being reduced, our supply chains being ruined and more red tape at our borders and cuts to business support in growth areas so the question is can our government be trusted with our economy anymore?

Theresa May had the most incompetent Cabinet in living memory…. And then along came Boris Johnson.

I am fairly sure that even the most fervent Brexit supporters are now feeling somewhat alarmed at what is now going on.

I don’t think there has ever been a time in history when a country has marched headlong into an upcoming winter of discontent knowing absolutely that it need not be this way."

Not really

I’m all for people buying less cloths imported from other countries and taking less holidays abroad ect and people taking jobs in their own country

"Most thinkers would say that the current government would considered a safe pair of hands for our economy but in the past ten years We’ve seen the cost of living increase, life chances being reduced, our supply chains being ruined and more red tape at our borders and cuts to business support in growth areas so the question is can our government be trusted with our economy anymore?

I don’t think there has ever been a time in history when a country has marched headlong into an upcoming winter of discontent knowing absolutely that it need not be this way.

Not really

I’m all for people buying less cloths imported from other countries and taking less holidays abroad ect and people taking jobs in their own country

"

I'd agree with this, however we don't have the infrastructure in the UK at the moment. Are we going to magic industry from thin air?

Also people tend to holiday for sunshine. What's the solution there?

Bristol

Not really

I'd agree with this, however we don't have the infrastructure in the UK at the moment. Are we going to magic industry from thin air?

Also people tend to holiday for sunshine. What's the solution there? "

I think people have got so used to instant gratification that it seems harsh to them to wait for things.

Holidays are ok but I know some people who will fly off 2-3 times a year which is way over the top

The infrastructure will come if people make it happen but again too many look for the quick profit and will fuck anyone else over to do it.

I don’t really begrudge anyone being well off but when it comes to 100’s of billions it’s obscene

Notts

Think youll find that was a Tory quote and nearly 13 years ago...jeez "

Check again, labour left the note,

I'm a swing voter a swing everything but history is history!

Not really

Also people tend to holiday for sunshine. What's the solution there?

I think people have got so used to instant gratification that it seems harsh to them to wait for things.

Holidays are ok but I know some people who will fly off 2-3 times a year which is way over the top

The infrastructure will come if people make it happen but again too many look for the quick profit and will fuck anyone else over to do it.

I don’t really begrudge anyone being well off but when it comes to 100’s of billions it’s obscene "

We have known we are leaving the EU for (5?) years now. Still zero sign of any infrastructure. You would have thought we would have had a sniff of it at least being created by now.

Or are you saying be patient for the next 10-15 years at which point (not wanting to be rude) you'll possibly be gone and myself not a million miles behind.

Our education system is not set up to revolutionise a economy. We (as a country) messed up. Just admit it.

By *itzi999Woman  over a year ago

Slough

"Most thinkers would say that the current government would considered a safe pair of hands for our economy but in the past ten years We’ve seen the cost of living increase, life chances being reduced, our supply chains being ruined and more red tape at our borders and cuts to business support in growth areas so the question is can our government be trusted with our economy anymore?"

Yes. Better than the Labour antisemites who plunge Britain into further debt and screw the country

Does that mean that in 13years people might just shut up about Brexit?"

Why should they Brexit people harped on about leaving for the best part of 40 years and then lied to get it ....

I'm a swing voter a swing everything but history is history! "

Again the percieved note was a tory quote.

Didnt mention how you voted, just stating the truth

By *irldnCouple  over a year ago

Brighton

"Didnt labour famously leave the jar empty, so let's trust them "

Actually was not true.

National debt in May 2010 when Labour left office was £980bn or 65% of GDP

National debt in March 2019 (a year before Covid hit) under the Conservative Govt had been in power for just under nine years was £1.82 trillion or 85.2% of GDP.

So they doubled the debt in nine years while ALSO imposing austerity.

Notts

I'm a swing voter a swing everything but history is history!

Again the percieved note was a tory quote.

Didnt mention how you voted, just stating the truth "

are you denying existence of said note?

it was a labour government why would the conservatives leave a note saying jar empty?

Notts

9 May 2015 — Liam Byrne says 'there's no money' note harmed Labour's election campaign.

Just googled it....

Notts

from 11 years ago....

The former chief secretary to the Treasury, Liam Byrne, has reignited criticism of Labour's stewardship of the economy with a note for his successor which said "there's no money left".

Byrne's note was discovered by David Laws, the Liberal Democrat MP who was appointed by the coalition government to succeed Byrne as No 2 at the Treasury.

It is a convention for outgoing ministers to leave a note for their successors with advice on how to settle into the job. But Byrne's note – which he later said was intended as a private joke – drew attention to Labour's economic record when it was revealed by Laws at a press conference today.

yep go labour, you showed them

"I think it's a lot more nuanced than you would think. A lot of very powerful people lost a lot of money during this pandemic and they will want it back. The vaccine rollout delayed the pounds devaluation due to brexit, but we are beginning to see it now.

I think the pandemic caused 100,000s to return home to their birth country as well as people to take early retirement in the UK. I feel what we are seeing with HGV drivers will spread across to other sectors. The inflated wages leading to hyperinflation (or near as damn it) in this country.

History tells us that after a time of major economic upheaval follows war. So the question for me isn't can we trust this government with the economy. Rather, what can the government do to stop the rather bleak prediction I've made. "

War??

Bring it on!!

After all we do and always have had the Best Army in the WORLD!

"But it seems to be the remaining camp that keep on bringing it up with quip’s like another Brexit bonus "

and yet here you are still banging on and on and on about brexit

Bristol

"But it seems to be the remaining camp that keep on bringing it up with quip’s like another Brexit bonus

and yet here you are still banging on and on and on about brexit "

Yes merely replying to the remainer quips

"Yes merely replying to the remainer quips "

see ... 45 years you just don't stop banging on and on and on about it

"from 11 years ago....

The former chief secretary to the Treasury, Liam Byrne, has reignited criticism of Labour's stewardship of the economy with a note for his successor which said "there's no money left".

Byrne's note was discovered by David Laws, the Liberal Democrat MP who was appointed by the coalition government to succeed Byrne as No 2 at the Treasury.

It is a convention for outgoing ministers to leave a note for their successors with advice on how to settle into the job. But Byrne's note – which he later said was intended as a private joke – drew attention to Labour's economic record when it was revealed by Laws at a press conference today.

yep go labour, you showed them "

Twas a dumb idea that the Tories used masterfully.

From what I can tell it meant that there is no fat left to cut ... Which is how budgets are managed ... But the public saw it as meaning the bank is empty (because we view HMG budgets like running a household budget).

Bristol

"Yes merely replying to the remainer quips

see ... 45 years you just don't stop banging on and on and on about it "

By *uddy laneMan  over a year ago

dudley

If I can still get my 10 pounds of worthlessness from the bank of england for the iou I have in my sky rocket I'm keeping calm.

Notts

"from 11 years ago....

yep go labour, you showed them

Twas a dumb idea that the Tories used masterfully.

From what I can tell it meant that there is no fat left to cut ... Which is how budgets are managed ... But the public saw it as meaning the bank is empty (because we view HMG budgets like running a household budget). "

From what you can tell so funny

11 years & 3 tory governments later and there is even less in the jar than when labour handed over the reins even prior to covid

Notts

"11 years & 3 tory governments later and there is even less in the jar than when labour handed over the reins even prior to covid"

Ex wives/husbands can do that to, you have a house kids money in bank and BOOM takes decades to rebuild

By *bernath OP   Couple  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

Only a few have given an answer, it seems they cannot be trusted from what I am gathering, 1.9 trillion in debt, that is considerably more than 2010, quite surprised and we had austerity.

Does that sound like a government which can be trusted or not?

"Only a few have given an answer, it seems they cannot be trusted from what I am gathering, 1.9 trillion in debt, that is considerably more than 2010, quite surprised and we had austerity.

Does that sound like a government which can be trusted or not?"

Can they be trusted? Not even remotely. Unless a person is a Tory or a Tory donor. In which case, bonanza time. Tory cronyism and corruption under Johnson has been sickening.

Notts

"Only a few have given an answer, it seems they cannot be trusted from what I am gathering, 1.9 trillion in debt, that is considerably more than 2010, quite surprised and we had austerity.

Does that sound like a government which can be trusted or not?"

gordon brown sold off half of britains gold reserves to china when the gold price was at a 20 year LOW! Fuck what moron would do that?.. so labour weakened a nation by selling assets and labour were in power through a much more settled time.

The conservatives can certainly piss money up the wall but labour are the gold medal winners...

"I think it's a lot more nuanced than you would think. A lot of very powerful people lost a lot of money during this pandemic and they will want it back. The vaccine rollout delayed the pounds devaluation due to brexit, but we are beginning to see it now.

History tells us that after a time of major economic upheaval follows war. So the question for me isn't can we trust this government with the economy. Rather, what can the government do to stop the rather bleak prediction I've made.

War??

Bring it on!!

After all we do and always have had the Best Army in the WORLD!

"

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not.

By *V-AliceTV/TS  over a year ago

Ayr

I wouldn't trust any of them to sit the right way on a toilet seat.

However, like it or not, trust doesn't come into it; they're in charge.

Notts

I wouldn't trust any of them to sit the right way on a toilet seat.

However, like it or not, trust doesn't come into it; they're in charge."

Right way on toilet seat

» Add a new message to this topic