FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Have people stopped caring about facts?

Have people stopped caring about facts?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

More and more, it feels like people don't care about facts in the political arena.

Trump and Johnson both have lied repeatedly. (And successfully when it comes to getting elected.) It feels like they've dragged us into a post-truth era in the West.

Social media also has done ample work spreading lies and conspiracy theories.

Has it always been this way? Or is it getting worse these days?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *estivalMan  over a year ago

borehamwood

"More and more, it feels like people don't care about facts in the political arena.

Trump and Johnson both have lied repeatedly. (And successfully when it comes to getting elected.) It feels like they've dragged us into a post-truth era in the West.

Has it always been this way? Or is it getting worse these days?"

Always been this way just more noticble now because of social media and rolling 24hr news i meen they have to fill there schedules with something,every primeminister or president lies to get where they are and continue lying once in the job.nothing new just more noticble to the masses now

By *ealthy_and_HungMan  over a year ago

Princes Risborough, Luasanne, Alderney

what's more noticable is people hiding behind the mantras of 'they all lie', i don't bother to vote', 'it doesn't matter if they're corrupt because no one can do anything about it' etc etc .... society is numb and nothing will change when the wilfully ignorant are pethetically apathetic. they will just ironically moan about people that they percieve to be moaning and so the cycle goes round and around.

By *ovebjsMan  over a year ago

Bristol

I don't think it's ever been different no matter what party gets in.

They all start off with mandates and promisses but the reality is that none of them ever achieve them.

They can male all the promisses they want but the reality is that nobody wants to pay for it.

Nobody wants higher taxes or higher prices on goods to cover what really needs to be done.

People rather spend thousands on hollidays and fun times than put the money to better use.

By *V-AliceTV/TS  over a year ago

Ayr

"More and more, it feels like people don't care about facts in the political arena.

As has already been said, politicians don't care about facts.

What's new in this century is that far too many voters have stopped caring about them, too.

That's really what's led us to where we are now.

I'd say we get the politicians we deserve; but, due to the FPTP electoral system and appointing your friends to the HoL (even when the electorate have told them to fuck off - Zac Goldsmith, Malcolm Offord, etc) - that wouldn't be factually accurate.

borehamwood

"what's more noticable is people hiding behind the mantras of 'they all lie', i don't bother to vote', 'it doesn't matter if they're corrupt because no one can do anything about it' etc etc .... society is numb and nothing will change when the wilfully ignorant are pethetically apathetic. they will just ironically moan about people that they percieve to be moaning and so the cycle goes round and around."
nah you just been keeping your head in the sand but have finally pulled it out and noticed and are shocked about it lots of people have always known there full of shit,your just outraged because you have only just realised

By *uddy laneMan  over a year ago

dudley

People who want to gain influence lie and cheat it has been documented for thousands of years. It is the truth tellers who do not lie and cheat who are demonised and dehumanised by the psychopaths who lie and cheat.

By *ugehandsMan  over a year ago

Fife/ Newcastle

I think the scariest fact is that the main stream media do not want to hold the political liers to account to the point that they're not even headline news anymore

By *xhib12Man  over a year ago

Blyth

So how can you confirm what is fact and what is not?

You can't trust the media but you can't trust the politicians either .

If you can't trust either then how do you know what is true and what is not?

"nah you just been keeping your head in the sand but have finally pulled it out and noticed and are shocked about it lots of people have always known there full of shit,your just outraged because you have only just realised"

you must identify with the type of pathetically apathetic and wilfully ignorant person i described in my post for you to get so triggered that you decided to personally attack me in the way you have. que sopresa. but that just highlights the problem i have highlighted in my earlier post.

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

"nah you just been keeping your head in the sand but have finally pulled it out and noticed and are shocked about it lots of people have always known there full of shit,your just outraged because you have only just realised

you must identify with the type of pathetically apathetic and wilfully ignorant person i described in my post for you to get so triggered that you decided to personally attack me in the way you have. que sopresa. but that just highlights the problem i have highlighted in my earlier post."

Or is it a fact.

"is it a fact. "

and now my own personal little forum stalker joins in the personal attack.

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

"is it a fact.

and now my own personal little forum stalker joins in the personal attack."

what? it was question not a personal attack,some people are so sensitive.

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Eastbourne

I think this is why there is a bad turn out of voters, no one cares about voting, as who ever gets in will be just as bad if not worse than the previous lit.

dudley

"I think this is why there is a bad turn out of voters, no one cares about voting, as who ever gets in will be just as bad if not worse than the previous lit."

They ain't interested in your vote they just want your registration to vote, if you don't vote your vote still gets used.

It feels worse now than it used to be. The likes of Johnson and Trump have lied blatantly many times. In the past, there was often hedging and evasion. But Trump and Johnson just keep lying and lying. I've never seen it done to this degree before here or in the USA in my lifetime

And I think the voting public are definitely more apathetic these days. Many times on here and in real life I've heard people excuse the likes of Johnson by saying "they're all the same."

By *ackal1Couple  over a year ago

Manchester

Ironically you last point proven by subsequent posts

The control of the media and therefore the narrative has empowered the blatant disregard for voters and the population. We are told who we can vote for. We no longer have democracy in reality and the powers above Boris are tightening their control .

There are no consequences for the lies which should terrify us all, A government who does have to answer to voters is a dictatorship .

The EU watered down the grip of the paymasters of Boris . They and he now have free reign to curb our free press and stifle our free courts. Not looking great is it.

borehamwood

"nah you just been keeping your head in the sand but have finally pulled it out and noticed and are shocked about it lots of people have always known there full of shit,your just outraged because you have only just realised

you must identify with the type of pathetically apathetic and wilfully ignorant person i described in my post for you to get so triggered that you decided to personally attack me in the way you have. que sopresa. but that just highlights the problem i have highlighted in my earlier post.Or is it a fact. "

personal attack wow think you need to chill a bit,most people are shocked because boris and trump do it so openley others just do it why smiling to ya face and making out they give a fuck and me apathetic nah i choose not to vote because none are worth my vote

Manchester

you must identify with the type of pathetically apathetic and wilfully ignorant person i described in my post for you to get so triggered that you decided to personally attack me in the way you have. que sopresa. but that just highlights the problem i have highlighted in my earlier post.Or is it a fact. personal attack wow think you need to chill a bit,most people are shocked because boris and trump do it so openley others just do it why smiling to ya face and making out they give a fuck and me apathetic nah i choose not to vote because none are worth my vote"

Would you vote in a PR election? Genuine question

borehamwood

you must identify with the type of pathetically apathetic and wilfully ignorant person i described in my post for you to get so triggered that you decided to personally attack me in the way you have. que sopresa. but that just highlights the problem i have highlighted in my earlier post.Or is it a fact. personal attack wow think you need to chill a bit,most people are shocked because boris and trump do it so openley others just do it why smiling to ya face and making out they give a fuck and me apathetic nah i choose not to vote because none are worth my vote

Would you vote in a PR election? Genuine question "

why would i do that? I think there all full of shit and wont give any of them my vote,ive lived under tories and labour and life didnt change under either,be it labour or tory things will only improve for a minority of people for everyone else its same shit different party

" I think there all full of shit and wont give any of them my vote,ive lived under tories and labour and life didnt change under either,be it labour or tory things will only improve for a minority of people for everyone else its same shit different party"

Quod Erat Demonstrandum

borehamwood

" I think there all full of shit and wont give any of them my vote,ive lived under tories and labour and life didnt change under either,be it labour or tory things will only improve for a minority of people for everyone else its same shit different party

Quod Erat Demonstrandum"

nice of you to cut off the begining of my post and the part i was replying to hahahaha

Manchester

you must identify with the type of pathetically apathetic and wilfully ignorant person i described in my post for you to get so triggered that you decided to personally attack me in the way you have. que sopresa. but that just highlights the problem i have highlighted in my earlier post.Or is it a fact. personal attack wow think you need to chill a bit,most people are shocked because boris and trump do it so openley others just do it why smiling to ya face and making out they give a fuck and me apathetic nah i choose not to vote because none are worth my vote

Would you vote in a PR election? Genuine question why would i do that? I think there all full of shit and wont give any of them my vote,ive lived under tories and labour and life didnt change under either,be it labour or tory things will only improve for a minority of people for everyone else its same shit different party"

With PR every vote counts so MPs have to listen and act. With first past the post safe seats rule the country. The losing voters have no voice.

The tories are in power even though more people voted for other parties. PR would redress the balance in Parliament,

borehamwood

Would you vote in a PR election? Genuine question why would i do that? I think there all full of shit and wont give any of them my vote,ive lived under tories and labour and life didnt change under either,be it labour or tory things will only improve for a minority of people for everyone else its same shit different party

With PR every vote counts so MPs have to listen and act. With first past the post safe seats rule the country. The losing voters have no voice.

The tories are in power even though more people voted for other parties. PR would redress the balance in Parliament,

"

i hope this dont come across as rude but what part of they are all liars in there own way didnt u get? Tories lie but a minority of there voters it works out well for same as labour when they get in power is good for a minority of there voters,same in scotland with snp it helps out a minority of there voters aswell p.r or fptp it dont really matter those at the top of the pile always look after number one first,the general public are way down the list always have been always will be,its pantomime what you see in parliment all the piggies eat from the same trough

By *lirty-CoupleCouple  over a year ago

Bexley

Confirmation bias is the biggest problem. People are served up a diet of the 'facts' they choose to agree with and disregard everything else. The lack of tolerance people display these days is staggering and it's getting worse not better. The media in general now has far more interest in generating revenue raising website clicks than presenting truth or even both sides of an argument equally.

In an age where we're being told to embrace and appreciate cultural diversity for example, diversity of opinion is being discouraged.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Facts are over rated.

Seriously tho, many have this idea of a pure fact, which possibly holds them back from understanding

Eg at school we were told it is a fact there are two sexes.

The world is more complex than we tend to accept.

However I do believe lies are getting too easy to distribute and we generally don't have the skills to check them.

Which may be the point of this thread !!!

Manchester

Would you vote in a PR election? Genuine question why would i do that? I think there all full of shit and wont give any of them my vote,ive lived under tories and labour and life didnt change under either,be it labour or tory things will only improve for a minority of people for everyone else its same shit different party

i hope this dont come across as rude but what part of they are all liars in there own way didnt u get? Tories lie but a minority of there voters it works out well for same as labour when they get in power is good for a minority of there voters,same in scotland with snp it helps out a minority of there voters aswell p.r or fptp it dont really matter those at the top of the pile always look after number one first,the general public are way down the list always have been always will be,its pantomime what you see in parliment all the piggies eat from the same trough"

Not rude and I understand your statement . I think a lie in any political office should be a sackable offence. Our politicians are mostly yes men and women dropped into constituencies by central offices. Democracy is failing fast in the U.K. .

I personally would insist a candidate had to have lived in their proposed constituency for at least 5 years before being allowed to stand fir election. So their priority is local as it should be.

PR means every vote counts and whilst labour and the tories are rife with corrupt self interests, if they knew a vote for the greens or an independent party actually made a difference to their power they would have to take others views into account and would not be allowed to get away with the constant theft and lies.

I also believe everyone should be forced to vote as hundreds of thousands of people died to give you that right and if you dismiss that you dismiss them and should just maybe go and live in another country as you have so little respect for their sacrifice and why should you benefit.

Not aimed at you personally but I don’t agree with not voting in principal but I understand why if your vote makes no difference.

dudley

i hope this dont come across as rude but what part of they are all liars in there own way didnt u get? Tories lie but a minority of there voters it works out well for same as labour when they get in power is good for a minority of there voters,same in scotland with snp it helps out a minority of there voters aswell p.r or fptp it dont really matter those at the top of the pile always look after number one first,the general public are way down the list always have been always will be,its pantomime what you see in parliment all the piggies eat from the same trough

Not rude and I understand your statement . I think a lie in any political office should be a sackable offence. Our politicians are mostly yes men and women dropped into constituencies by central offices. Democracy is failing fast in the U.K. .

I personally would insist a candidate had to have lived in their proposed constituency for at least 5 years before being allowed to stand fir election. So their priority is local as it should be.

PR means every vote counts and whilst labour and the tories are rife with corrupt self interests, if they knew a vote for the greens or an independent party actually made a difference to their power they would have to take others views into account and would not be allowed to get away with the constant theft and lies.

I also believe everyone should be forced to vote as hundreds of thousands of people died to give you that right and if you dismiss that you dismiss them and should just maybe go and live in another country as you have so little respect for their sacrifice and why should you benefit.

Not aimed at you personally but I don’t agree with not voting in principal but I understand why if your vote makes no difference. "

Personally I have only voted twice in 1987 and Brexit I do not register or vote, the reason is i refuse to legitimise illegal wars, the sale of weapons to despot dictators and for the tax it receives from the sales of those weapons blood money I call it. I refuse to give bare faced liars a podium and an office.

I sleep soundly.

Politics since 2016 has gotten worse. The so called unheard/ ignored have voted in for nationalism and have fed laying politicians.

This isn’t Just a British phenomenon; it’s across the globe from South America , North America ? Across a lot of Europe, Middle East and Far East.

British politics used to be respected , but we are just like any of those 3rd world despot led countries with corrupt politicians and liars, we used to look down upon.

By *irtyold manMan  over a year ago

barnsley

Massiv under investment in education has given us a population of morons.the gov loves this as they are easier to controle than educated folks who question.

Hears the big drawback given a poor and uneducated population at some point they will turn like the russian and french revolution.

Goverments be warned

borehamwood

Not aimed at you personally but I don’t agree with not voting in principal but I understand why if your vote makes no difference. "

have to disagree with being forced to vote like you said ive been given the right to vote i also have the right not to,all that would happen if you forced people is they would spoil there ballot,i dont vote for any of them so i havent helped put any of the shithouses into office

Not aimed at you personally but I don’t agree with not voting in principal but I understand why if your vote makes no difference. have to disagree with being forced to vote like you said ive been given the right to vote i also have the right not to,all that would happen if you forced people is they would spoil there ballot,i dont vote for any of them so i havent helped put any of the shithouses into office"

The problem with not voting at all is that you let toxic bullshitters like Trump and Johnson slide into power.

By *bernathCouple  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

"I don't think it's ever been different no matter what party gets in.

They all start off with mandates and promisses but the reality is that none of them ever achieve them.

They can male all the promisses they want but the reality is that nobody wants to pay for it.

Nobody wants higher taxes or higher prices on goods to cover what really needs to be done.

People rather spend thousands on hollidays and fun times than put the money to better use.

"

I think its more a question of paying fairer taxes. The reluctance is because so many taxes affect middle and low income earners more.

The true test is when a higher earner can look at a lower earner in the face and say “I am paying my fair share” I doubt it would be anytime soon though.

Sadly, the statement below is untrue. Although, I agree with the sentiment.

In the UK we vote for our local constituent MP. Only marginal seats are worth voting in. Sad but true.

"

The problem with not voting at all is that you let toxic bullshitters like Trump and Johnson slide into power."

"Sadly, the statement below is untrue. Although, I agree with the sentiment.

In the UK we vote for our local constituent MP. Only marginal seats are worth voting in. Sad but true.

The problem with not voting at all is that you let toxic bullshitters like Trump and Johnson slide into power."

True, to be fair. We desperately need PR.

borehamwood

Not aimed at you personally but I don’t agree with not voting in principal but I understand why if your vote makes no difference. have to disagree with being forced to vote like you said ive been given the right to vote i also have the right not to,all that would happen if you forced people is they would spoil there ballot,i dont vote for any of them so i havent helped put any of the shithouses into office

the orange one and bozo or steptoe or killary mmmmmm like i said all piggies feeding from the same trough,you carry on beliving its just the right wing politicians who are a bunch of cunts myself i will carry on thinking there all self serving wankers no matter what colour flag there waving

» Add a new message to this topic