FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > The deal to get Brexit done that needs to be undone?

The deal to get Brexit done that needs to be undone?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Apparently Johnson is planning to go back on the deal he signed with the EU. The very deal he said was wonderful. The very deal he did to "get Brexit done".

This can only end well surely...

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ovebjsMan  over a year ago

Bristol

Evidence?

By *ackal1Couple  over a year ago

Manchester

Frost himself is stating he wants the deal he and Boris presented and agreed dismissed.

This is only for Northern Ireland so far as the rest of us won’t be affected until the government is ready for Brexit!! Mid 2022 is best guess by then now. .

But business must be ready for jan 1st 2020. Hmmm

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

According to Cummings the government never had any intention of sticking to the deal

By *bernathCouple  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

Of course, make headlines, get brexit done, but a deal based on dishonesty is a deal built on sand, eventually it will wash away and there will be nothing to show for it.

By *or Fox SakeCouple  over a year ago

Thornaby

"Evidence?"

You can start with BoZo statement to parliament

By *ebjonnsonMan  over a year ago

Maldon

Is this the ‘oven ready’ deal that was so fantastic?

By *I TwoCouple  over a year ago

Always travelling

"Is this the ‘oven ready’ deal that was so fantastic? "

It got burnt

"Is this the ‘oven ready’ deal that was so fantastic?

It got burnt"

It never made it to the oven

Bodger Johnson is a clown.

Manchester

This is a very interesting blog. A bit bias but a lot of interesting points which make you think.

http://www.gerhardschnyder.com/brexit-impact-tracker

Paisley and Cummings have now both said Johnson had no intention of ever sticking to the deal he signed and sold to the voters as being so wonderful.

So now not only do voters have more reasons to mistrust Johnson. Every other country in the world has a solid reason to mistrust signing anything with us.

By *uninlondon69Man  over a year ago

Lewisham

" Bodger Johnson is a clown."

My autocorrect changes cunt to count. It looks like yours changes it to clown.

This is ridiculous.

We must move on. No more renegotiations. No more referendums. Every week is costing us.

Families and businesses cannot make vital

decisions. The public services cannot get the attention they deserve.

I don't get it.

The current deal takes the whole

country out of the EU as one United

Kingdom. It takes us out of the customs

union, allowing us to set our own tariffs

and do our own trade deals. It allows us to

pass our own laws and ensures that it is

our courts that enforce them.

So what's the problem?

By *uninlondon69Man  over a year ago

Lewisham

"This is ridiculous.

We must move on. No more renegotiations. No more referendums. Every week is costing us.

I don't get it.

So what's the problem? "

Trade deals require 2 or more countries or regions to agree on things. But you know that because you know what you voted for, right?

By *mateur100Man  over a year ago

nr faversham

"This is ridiculous.

I don't get it.

So what's the problem?

Trade deals require 2 or more countries or regions to agree on things. But you know that because you know what you voted for, right?"

I'm sure he/they does/do.

By *ellhungvweMan  over a year ago

Cheltenham

"This is ridiculous.

I don't get it.

So what's the problem?

Trade deals require 2 or more countries or regions to agree on things. But you know that because you know what you voted for, right?"

Technically EU trade deals require ratification by the EU parliament and _every_ member state before they can become law if they touch in anything outside a very narrow set of parameters. With so many conflicting interests it is becoming almost impossible to get any major trade deal signed in the EU and which is why major deals with places like Canada and the one with the US have been dropped or substantially reduced.

Given that backdrop, to have gotten even this far with an EU/UK “negotiations” should probably be seen as a win for both sides. I think both parties expect things to be reworked over time - although that won’t stop posturing by all sides.

By *al2001Man  over a year ago

kildare

"This is ridiculous.

I don't get it.

So what's the problem?

Trade deals require 2 or more countries or regions to agree on things. But you know that because you know what you voted for, right?

Technically EU trade deals require ratification by the EU parliament and _every_ member state before they can become law if they touch in anything outside a very narrow set of parameters. With so many conflicting interests it is becoming almost impossible to get any major trade deal signed in the EU and which is why major deals with places like Canada and the one with the US have been dropped or substantially reduced.

Given that backdrop, to have gotten even this far with an EU/UK “negotiations” should probably be seen as a win for both sides. I think both parties expect things to be reworked over time - although that won’t stop posturing by all sides."

They didnt get this far with "negotiations".

The negotiations have been done over last few long years and have been signed off on my both sides.

It is not the eu who is having any problems with this deal they signed,it is all boris and co.

Now boris says his oven ready deal was all done in haste and they had no time to study it.

Done in haste because of his own repeated deadlines he kept putting up to get it done.

This is all his mess

By *oolpinstripeMan  over a year ago

Kildare

"This is ridiculous.

I don't get it.

So what's the problem? "

The ‘problem’ is the UK is not (as many people in England seem to think) an island. If it were an island, there would be no problem, but unfortunately part of the UK is in another country, and that country IS in the EU, so there has to be a border, and because of international agreements the UK signed decades ago there can be no border in that country, so.... the border has to be between that country and the UK.

That’s the ‘problem’....

Oh, and the UK also signed an international agreement to have that border, but they are not sticking to it... that’s also the problem.

Do you see the problem now !

Cheltenham

"This is ridiculous.

I don't get it.

So what's the problem?

Given that backdrop, to have gotten even this far with an EU/UK “negotiations” should probably be seen as a win for both sides. I think both parties expect things to be reworked over time - although that won’t stop posturing by all sides.

The negotiations have been done over last few long years and have been signed off on my both sides.

It is not the eu who is having any problems with this deal they signed,it is all boris and co.

Now boris says his oven ready deal was all done in haste and they had no time to study it.

Done in haste because of his own repeated deadlines he kept putting up to get it done.

This is all his mess"

I agree with you. It is a mess. I am not a Johnson fan by any stretch and I am not trying to defend the current government at all.

My point about the EU trade process above is to outline that even getting to this position so quickly (which feels weird to say given how long it seems to have taken to a non trade negotiator) is _highly_ unusual for the EU and so indicates that, despite all the bluster on both sides, that people do want to get an “amicable” (or at least workable) relationship in place.

I understand why people want to whack Boris but the part of the deal (as I understand it) that the British government wants to change relates to very early positions that the May government put in place.

My understanding is that the shops of Northern Ireland are missing large amounts of goods because of a misjudgement of the May government in allowing themselves to be outclassed by the EU who mandated the Irish border as their overriding initial negotiating point. I am not from Northern Ireland and have never been there but I believe that the current structure of the deal is adversely impacting them. That needs to be remedied before it becomes a sore that causes more issues - and I believe we are all aware of how “issues” have historically multiplied on the island of Ireland.

Given the position of everyone (as I understand it) is to sustain the peace process then pragmatism is called for in working out how that is to be achieved because the current setup isn’t working.

kildare

"This is ridiculous.

I don't get it.

So what's the problem?

This is all his mess

I agree with you. It is a mess. I am not a Johnson fan by any stretch and I am not trying to defend the current government at all.

My point about the EU trade process above is to outline that even getting to this position so quickly (which feels weird to say given how long it seems to have taken to a non trade negotiator) is _highly_ unusual for the EU and so indicates that, despite all the bluster on both sides, that people do want to get an “amicable” (or at least workable) relationship in place.

I understand why people want to whack Boris but the part of the deal (as I understand it) that the British government wants to change relates to very early positions that the May government put in place.

My understanding is that the shops of Northern Ireland are missing large amounts of goods because of a misjudgement of the May government in allowing themselves to be outclassed by the EU who mandated the Irish border as their overriding initial negotiating point. I am not from Northern Ireland and have never been there but I believe that the current structure of the deal is adversely impacting them. That needs to be remedied before it becomes a sore that causes more issues - and I believe we are all aware of how “issues” have historically multiplied on the island of Ireland.

Given the position of everyone (as I understand it) is to sustain the peace process then pragmatism is called for in working out how that is to be achieved because the current setup isn’t working."

But may wasnt pm when this deal was made so none of this can be mays fault,if boris wasnt happy with something may negotiated he had the power to try renegotiating it.

This is boriss deal.with eu.

And all people in uk are having supply issues,not just NI,so it is a brexit issue not totally a NI protocol issue.

And now eu have put proposals to cut nearly all checks between uk and NI,now we are hearing about another redline from uuk,about european courts of justice?!!

This is also something they signed off on only months ago and now its another redline issue.

The plain and simple truth is obvious even before cummings or anyone else had to point it out,boris hasnt a fucking clue what he is doing and he didnt understand the deal he made,totally incompetent and untrustworthy

Cheltenham

"

But may wasnt pm when this deal was made so none of this can be mays fault,if boris wasnt happy with something may negotiated he had the power to try renegotiating it.

And all people in uk are having supply issues,not just NI,so it is a brexit issue not totally a NI protocol issue.

And now eu have put proposals to cut nearly all checks between uk and NI,now we are hearing about another redline from uuk,about european courts of justice?!!

This is also something they signed off on only months ago and now its another redline issue.

The plain and simple truth is obvious even before cummings or anyone else had to point it out,boris hasnt a fucking clue what he is doing and he didnt understand the deal he made,totally incompetent and untrustworthy

"

I understand your point and agree that May was not the PM who signed the deal. She was, however, the PM who presided over the vast amounts of initial groundwork setting and negotiations so I think it is more than slightly disingenuous to remove her from blame.

I am sure you have been involved in many sales negotiations at work and you will well know that once the initial positions are staked out and implicit agreement is in place to be able to move onto the next steps then it is very hard to change those “agreements” later without a lot of rancour. Doing that in a massively public scenario makes it impossible.

Like I said, whack Boris (I won’t stop you), but please be honest about the history of the negotiations that got us to this mess.

kildare

"

I understand your point and agree that May was not the PM who signed the deal. She was, however, the PM who presided over the vast amounts of initial groundwork setting and negotiations so I think it is more than slightly disingenuous to remove her from blame.

I am sure you have been involved in many sales negotiations at work and you will well know that once the initial positions are staked out and implicit agreement is in place to be able to move onto the next steps then it is very hard to change those “agreements” later without a lot of rancour. Doing that in a massively public scenario makes it impossible.

Like I said, whack Boris (I won’t stop you), but please be honest about the history of the negotiations that got us to this mess."

So you are saying it is easier to go back and change those "agreements" now when negotiations are long over and deal is signed??

That is not how it works with any negotiations and deals.

And like i said boris himself was the reason everything was rushed at negotiations in the first place because of his deadlines.

He rushed negotiations with his deadlines,rushed it through parliament before it could be properly scrutinised by some proper and more competent heads than his and now wants to go back and redo it all over again.

Totally farcical.

The book stops with him and its plainly obvious he hasnt a clue what he is doing.

"

Like I said, whack Boris (I won’t stop you), but please be honest about the history of the negotiations that got us to this mess.

So you are saying it is easier to go back and change those "agreements" now when negotiations are long over and deal is signed??

And like i said boris himself was the reason everything was rushed at negotiations in the first place because of his deadlines.

He rushed negotiations with his deadlines,rushed it through parliament before it could be properly scrutinised by some proper and more competent heads than his and now wants to go back and redo it all over again.

Totally farcical.

The book stops with him and its plainly obvious he hasnt a clue what he is doing.

"

Exactly, Boris owns this, it’s his deal, his mess, unfortunately he won’t be around to clean it up

By *mmMandyTV/TS  over a year ago

Southampton

totally agree

"The plain and simple truth is obvious even before cummings or anyone else had to point it out,boris hasnt a fucking clue what he is doing and he didnt understand the deal he made,totally incompetent and untrustworthy

totally agree

"

You can also add the incompetent and clueless ‘unelected bureaucrat‘ lord Frost

Cheltenham

"

Totally farcical.

"

No I am not saying that at all. What I am saying is that if a deal doesn’t work then it is in no one’s interest to carry on with it. I agree it was rushed and am not arguing with you on that.

The EU is perfectly free to tell Boris to f**koff because, as you point out, there is an agreed deal. Why should they care about issues in Northern Ireland?

On the other hand - maybe they do actually care about issues in Northern Ireland because they know that discontent doesn’t sit well that side of the Irish Sea.

Deals are renegotiated all the time. You only have to look at the key EU treaties to see how they have been extended and changed over time. I completely accept that they are not normally changed so soon but that doesn’t mean that change cannot happen once a deal is signed.

By *V-AliceTV/TS  over a year ago

Ayr

"The plain and simple truth is obvious even before cummings or anyone else had to point it out,boris hasnt a fucking clue what he is doing and he didnt understand the deal he made,totally incompetent and untrustworthy

totally agree

You can also add the incompetent and clueless ‘unelected bureaucrat‘ lord Frost "

Indeed. That said, diplomatic language is a lot to blame for how this has all dragged out.

If the EU negotiators just told Boris, Frost, et al:

"You signed the treaty after agreeing to its terms - which you claim to have understood. We're not changing our minds about the role of the ECJ.

You aren't going to get everything you want just because you were privately educated and know a bit about The Hundred Years War.

What the fuck is it about that that you fucking morons don't understand?"

It would save a lot of time - and be more entertaining.

By *eroy1000Man  over a year ago

milton keynes

"

Totally farcical.

No I am not saying that at all. What I am saying is that if a deal doesn’t work then it is in no one’s interest to carry on with it. I agree it was rushed and am not arguing with you on that.

The EU is perfectly free to tell Boris to f**koff because, as you point out, there is an agreed deal. Why should they care about issues in Northern Ireland?

On the other hand - maybe they do actually care about issues in Northern Ireland because they know that discontent doesn’t sit well that side of the Irish Sea.

Deals are renegotiated all the time. You only have to look at the key EU treaties to see how they have been extended and changed over time. I completely accept that they are not normally changed so soon but that doesn’t mean that change cannot happen once a deal is signed."

It appears that when no deal was looming large both sides needed to sign up to something. Rushed yes. Unnecessary deadline, possibly. Both sides agree the deal needs fixing which is an improvement. Still a difference in how to fix it but hopefully they will find a compromise.

kildare

"

Totally farcical.

Deals are renegotiated all the time. You only have to look at the key EU treaties to see how they have been extended and changed over time. I completely accept that they are not normally changed so soon but that doesn’t mean that change cannot happen once a deal is signed."

The eu care about the good friday agreement which deals with northern ireland.

As do others.

Thats a deal that cant be changed or renegotiated.

This has been going on for years now.

Everybody outside of uk is sick to fucking death with brexit and have spent enough years trying to sort it out.

Imo nobody is going back to renegotiate anything and it will be a "fuck off boris"

And rightly so

By *mmMandyTV/TS  over a year ago

Southampton

totally agree

"

I didnt post that, who did and how?

milton keynes

"

Totally farcical.

Deals are renegotiated all the time. You only have to look at the key EU treaties to see how they have been extended and changed over time. I completely accept that they are not normally changed so soon but that doesn’t mean that change cannot happen once a deal is signed.

It appears that when no deal was looming large both sides needed to sign up to something. Rushed yes. Unnecessary deadline, possibly. Both sides agree the deal needs fixing which is an improvement. Still a difference in how to fix it but hopefully they will find a compromise. "

Forgot to mention that I think the deal also included the need for NI assembly to vote for the protocol to continue every so many years. This means even if the EU and UK were happy with the deal the NI leaders could scrap it anyway in the future. This means it makes sense for the EU to propose changes that originally they said could not be done.

"

Totally farcical.

It appears that when no deal was looming large both sides needed to sign up to something. Rushed yes. Unnecessary deadline, possibly. Both sides agree the deal needs fixing which is an improvement. Still a difference in how to fix it but hopefully they will find a compromise.

Forgot to mention that I think the deal also included the need for NI assembly to vote for the protocol to continue every so many years. This means even if the EU and UK were happy with the deal the NI leaders could scrap it anyway in the future. This means it makes sense for the EU to propose changes that originally they said could not be done. "

irrc stormont has to vote it out, not in. A clever move as to vote it out would put the border issue square onto NI politicians to solve. Rather than snipe at the side.

milton keynes

"

Totally farcical.

Forgot to mention that I think the deal also included the need for NI assembly to vote for the protocol to continue every so many years. This means even if the EU and UK were happy with the deal the NI leaders could scrap it anyway in the future. This means it makes sense for the EU to propose changes that originally they said could not be done. irrc stormont has to vote it out, not in. A clever move as to vote it out would put the border issue square onto NI politicians to solve. Rather than snipe at the side. "

Yes as I say they get to vote if it continues or not. The border issue relates to all regardless of how you get there. The UK has ruled implementing a border. The EU are the ones who would want a border to protect the single market

"

Totally farcical.

Forgot to mention that I think the deal also included the need for NI assembly to vote for the protocol to continue every so many years. This means even if the EU and UK were happy with the deal the NI leaders could scrap it anyway in the future. This means it makes sense for the EU to propose changes that originally they said could not be done. irrc stormont has to vote it out, not in. A clever move as to vote it out would put the border issue square onto NI politicians to solve. Rather than snipe at the side.

Yes as I say they get to vote if it continues or not. The border issue relates to all regardless of how you get there. The UK has ruled implementing a border. The EU are the ones who would want a border to protect the single market"

WTO rules means you need to have a customs border. It's not a matter of IF a border is put up, but WHERE.

milton keynes

"

Totally farcical.

Forgot to mention that I think the deal also included the need for NI assembly to vote for the protocol to continue every so many years. This means even if the EU and UK were happy with the deal the NI leaders could scrap it anyway in the future. This means it makes sense for the EU to propose changes that originally they said could not be done. irrc stormont has to vote it out, not in. A clever move as to vote it out would put the border issue square onto NI politicians to solve. Rather than snipe at the side.

Yes as I say they get to vote if it continues or not. The border issue relates to all regardless of how you get there. The UK has ruled implementing a border. The EU are the ones who would want a border to protect the single marketWTO rules means you need to have a customs border. It's not a matter of IF a border is put up, but WHERE. "

Who will install and police the border.

"

Totally farcical.

Yes as I say they get to vote if it continues or not. The border issue relates to all regardless of how you get there. The UK has ruled implementing a border. The EU are the ones who would want a border to protect the single marketWTO rules means you need to have a customs border. It's not a matter of IF a border is put up, but WHERE.

Who will install and police the border. "

both sides have to police the border... The UK have to check what's coming into the UK. Given both sides need to do checking i suspect it's a joint cost.

Are you disagreeing we need a (customs) border to be set up ?

milton keynes

"

Totally farcical.

Yes as I say they get to vote if it continues or not. The border issue relates to all regardless of how you get there. The UK has ruled implementing a border. The EU are the ones who would want a border to protect the single marketWTO rules means you need to have a customs border. It's not a matter of IF a border is put up, but WHERE.

Who will install and police the border. both sides have to police the border... The UK have to check what's coming into the UK. Given both sides need to do checking i suspect it's a joint cost.

Are you disagreeing we need a (customs) border to be set up ?"

I'm not disagreeing with anything just putting on a forum my opinion. I personally can't see the UK putting up a physical border on the border regardless. I stress this us a personal opinion. I know some on here like to argue but I don't think that includes you. Hopefully I'm not wrong on that but if I am I leave it too you

"

Totally farcical.

Who will install and police the border. both sides have to police the border... The UK have to check what's coming into the UK. Given both sides need to do checking i suspect it's a joint cost.

Are you disagreeing we need a (customs) border to be set up ?

I'm not disagreeing with anything just putting on a forum my opinion. I personally can't see the UK putting up a physical border on the border regardless. I stress this us a personal opinion. I know some on here like to argue but I don't think that includes you. Hopefully I'm not wrong on that but if I am I leave it too you"

I like to understand people's views. And sometimes I will put my own understanding and interpretation over too, which can look arguing !

I don't understand how we square off not putting a border up with WTO rules on most favoured nations.

Which means I'm intrigued how they are going to make the NI bit work. As my understanding is it has to work in some form...

No one is indispensable. And that includes the UK. The cards are held by the EU.

How has the EU suffered since our Brexit?

All I can see is they have gained.

Pleas enlighten me if im wrong.

By *irtylittletramp100TV/TS  over a year ago

Notts

"No one is indispensable. And that includes the UK. The cards are held by the EU.

Pleas enlighten me if im wrong. "

They ain't been getting paid, they aren't under the USA arms umbrella in the same way.....

Boris did that deal knowing full well it would be revisted.... what amazes me that the eu think it's fine to draw a new trade boarder within the UK lol

Their boarders are their problem surely? And its between Ireland and UK nowhere else.

"No one is indispensable. And that includes the UK. The cards are held by the EU.

They ain't been getting paid, they aren't under the USA arms umbrella in the same way.....

Boris did that deal knowing full well it would be revisted.... what amazes me that the eu think it's fine to draw a new trade boarder within the UK lol

Their boarders are their problem surely? And its between Ireland and UK nowhere else. "

Bastard EU, eh? Being all problematic by making a deal with us and expecting us to stick to the thing we signed and said was great.

By *olly_chromaticTV/TS  over a year ago

Stockport

Their boarders are their problem surely? And its between Ireland and UK nowhere else. "

The trade border between Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK is PM Johnson's fault and nobody else. The EU by definition requires a trade border between itself and any country outside the EU free trade area. The UK was offered lots of options for staying within the EU free trade area post brexit, Johnson refused all of those because by definition being within the EU free trade area requires trading according to the rules of the EU free trade area. Those rules are made by the EU (duh) and Johnson absolutely refused that those rules should apply to the UK (sovrinty and all that). The Republic of Ireland (the large southern part of the island of Ireland) is an EU country, it is not any part of the UK. Northern Ireland (the small north east part of the island of Ireland) is part of the UK, it has a long land border with the RoI, and sea borders to the other parts of the UK.

The Good Friday Agreement sets a legal requirement that there be no border fence between NI and RoI. This agreement was forged to bring to an end nearly 80 years of armed conflict between para military groups of NI and RoI. Rebuilding a physical border barrier would (a) almost certainly cause a resumption of the hostilities (b) absolutely certainly cause political conflict with the USA government, who are a guarantor of the GFA, and crap on any chance whatsoever of getting any good trade deal with the USA (which was one of the main supposed eventual gains to be had from brexit).

So: if the UK is not to be part of the EU free trade area, there must be a trade border between EU and UK. At the same time, there must not be a trade border between NI and RoI. But there must be a border somewhere!

It was Johnson's own idea to put that border in the Irish Sea, leaving NI within the free trade area, removing the rest of the UK from the free trade area. Nobody in the EU told him the border must be in the Irish Sea, separating the UK into two sections. In fact plenty of voices in the EU warned that it was a bit of a stupid idea to voluntarily break up the UK. Nevertheless, there must be a border somewhere.

Johnson and all the brexiteers are now bitching about the border that they themselves put in the Irish Sea, as it slowly dawns on them that it is in fact a stupid idea. So Johnson etc are trying to just ignore the border that they themselves put there, which instantly has the effect of either pulling NI out of the free trade area, or putting all the UK back into the free trade area. So either there has to be a trade border, enforced by vehicle stoppings and checks, between RoI and NI (but the GFA says no). Or the entire UK must abide by the rules of the EU free trade area, rules that we no longer have any say in drafting (but brexiteers say no, that would mean giving up sovereignty).

There is no other option (well apart from the RoI giving up it's sovereignty to the UK, but that's not going to happen without a war). Brexiters were warned that exactly this situation would occur. It has occurred. There is no solution. The problem is made entirely by the stupidity of the Johnson government.

You cannot make a circle square and still have it be a circle. You cannot make red into blue and it still be red. You cannot make light into dark and still have it be light.

There is no solution to the EU border problem without either breaking the GFA (an absolute no) or the UK giving up some parts of its sovereignty (which kills brexit). And none of this is the EU's fault, it is a problem with no solution that was created solely and totally by the Johnson government.

Notts

Their boarders are their problem surely? And its between Ireland and UK nowhere else.

Bastard EU, eh? Being all problematic by making a deal with us and expecting us to stick to the thing we signed and said was great."

the garage sell you a car, they know it has a few issues, they know youll be back as you now have the car... you can either get it repaired by them or get into a lengthy court battle... eu are trying the repair... think boris knew it.... yes boris the car salesman

Stockport

Bastard EU, eh? Being all problematic by making a deal with us and expecting us to stick to the thing we signed and said was great.

the garage sell you a car, they know it has a few issues, they know youll be back as you now have the car... you can either get it repaired by them or get into a lengthy court battle... eu are trying the repair... think boris knew it.... yes boris the car salesman "

Boris the car salesman who has got the fact that he knowingly sells broken cars splashed on every news media everywhere in the world. So how is he ever going to sell another car? Boris who has single handedly put the UK out of business. It's not funny, it's not smart.

Notts

the garage sell you a car, they know it has a few issues, they know youll be back as you now have the car... you can either get it repaired by them or get into a lengthy court battle... eu are trying the repair... think boris knew it.... yes boris the car salesman

Boris the car salesman who has got the fact that he knowingly sells broken cars splashed on every news media everywhere in the world. So how is he ever going to sell another car? Boris who has single handedly put the UK out of business. It's not funny, it's not smart."

Time will tell, he got the customer, the EU, who were determined not to do a deal to do it.... he can now revist it....

Teresa would have just taken an arse fucking, how do we remember her? Crying in downing Street!

In the mean time the landscape will shift....

By *fucksakeCouple  over a year ago

cuffilly

"This is ridiculous.

I don't get it.

So what's the problem? "

because we manufacture nothing but need everything .we are a spent nation living on our colonial past

Boris the car salesman who has got the fact that he knowingly sells broken cars splashed on every news media everywhere in the world. So how is he ever going to sell another car? Boris who has single handedly put the UK out of business. It's not funny, it's not smart.

Time will tell, he got the customer, the EU, who were determined not to do a deal to do it.... he can now revist it....

Teresa would have just taken an arse fucking, how do we remember her? Crying in downing Street!

"

interesting that the EU is the customer ..

When it's the UK complaining and looking to rebroke.

I'd say of we were running with analogies (generally a bad idea) the EU sold a two seater to the UK, and even agreed how to deal with any repairs.

But the UK (well Boris et al) has realised that they needed a people carrier, and so want to start again. And are acting suprised that you cant for the fam in. Despite being told this.

But in all honesty this while anology isn't going to work as this wasn't a transaction. More like a child share agreement of anything.

Notts

I'd say of we were running with analogies (generally a bad idea) the EU sold a two seater to the UK, and even agreed how to deal with any repairs.

But the UK (well Boris et al) has realised that they needed a people carrier, and so want to start again. And are acting suprised that you cant for the fam in. Despite being told this.

But in all honesty this while anology isn't going to work as this wasn't a transaction. More like a child share agreement of anything. "

So you're saying the EU shafted their long term trading partners? No wonder we left the club to look for a new one!

But in all honesty this while anology isn't going to work as this wasn't a transaction. More like a child share agreement of anything.

So you're saying the EU shafted their long term trading partners? No wonder we left the club to look for a new one! "

lol. Love how it is shafted now I have switched the roles!

But the EU didn't sell a duff car. Yeah UK bought a car it no longer wants.

Notts

So you're saying the EU shafted their long term trading partners? No wonder we left the club to look for a new one! lol. Love how it is shafted now I have switched the roles!

But the EU didn't sell a duff car. Yeah UK bought a car it no longer wants. "

The eu said there is only one car, take it or walk... however.. the eu created the border issue then, as they sold the car, so it is their problem?

pat a cake pat a cake bakers man.....

Notts

So you're saying the EU shafted their long term trading partners? No wonder we left the club to look for a new one! lol. Love how it is shafted now I have switched the roles!

But the EU didn't sell a duff car. Yeah UK bought a car it no longer wants. "

exactly you switched the roles... everyone said it was boris oven ready deal... you said no it was eu.... either way, like VW, they lied about the emissions.. we are entitled to compensation

The eu said there is only one car, take it or walk... however.. the eu created the border issue then, as they sold the car, so it is their problem?

pat a cake pat a cake bakers man..... "

I suspect we disagree what the "border issue" is, if you think the EU created it !

But this analogy is fast running out of petrol!!

Notts

pat a cake pat a cake bakers man..... I suspect we disagree what the "border issue" is, if you think the EU created it !

But this analogy is fast running out of petrol!!"

they are the ones making an issue of it, is that better?

Notts

and yes i do realise youve swerved the last question...

pat a cake pat a cake bakers man..... I suspect we disagree what the "border issue" is, if you think the EU created it !

they are the ones making an issue of it, is that better?"

we need a trade border... Agreed ? And if so, it's an issue that needs to be solved.

Notts

they are the ones making an issue of it, is that better?we need a trade border... Agreed ? And if so, it's an issue that needs to be solved. "

im not doing the whole bloody brexit argument.... no we dont, the eu want it not us... they are the ones worried,even though there are several areas around europe where they dont seem to care at all...(dont ask me to start naming them or who lives there lol) they are purposely being as awkward as possible. they dont care if poland builds a wall or if hungary is surrounded by razor wire etc etc but the uk needs an extra boarder in the sea.... its bollocks, yes a technical term

the good friday agreement is entirely separate, why should trade deals impact it? perhaps they shouldnt have let ireland join the eu, perhaps they should have had the foresight to see this coming?... either way they are worried about the movement of goods not us. do they expect members to join forever? literally

By *rLibertineMan  over a year ago

North Suffolk

they are the ones making an issue of it, is that better?we need a trade border... Agreed ? And if so, it's an issue that needs to be solved.

im not doing the whole bloody brexit argument.... no we dont, the eu want it not us... they are the ones worried,even though there are several areas around europe where they dont seem to care at all...(dont ask me to start naming them or who lives there lol) they are purposely being as awkward as possible. they dont care if poland builds a wall or if hungary is surrounded by razor wire etc etc but the uk needs an extra boarder in the sea.... its bollocks, yes a technical term

the good friday agreement is entirely separate, why should trade deals impact it? perhaps they shouldnt have let ireland join the eu, perhaps they should have had the foresight to see this coming?... either way they are worried about the movement of goods not us. do they expect members to join forever? literally "

so in summary you think it’s all the EU’s fault…..

Notts

they are the ones making an issue of it, is that better?we need a trade border... Agreed ? And if so, it's an issue that needs to be solved.

the good friday agreement is entirely separate, why should trade deals impact it? perhaps they shouldnt have let ireland join the eu, perhaps they should have had the foresight to see this coming?... either way they are worried about the movement of goods not us. do they expect members to join forever? literally

so in summary you think it’s all the EU’s fault….. "

yes the eu caused global warming and made the devil? what are you on about? thats a hell of a generalization lol

no i dont think the eu caused a rift between southern ireland and northern ireland.... but i dont think boris johnson did either! they certainly dont have a right to insist on a trade boarder within our own nation

the good friday agreement is entirely separate, why should trade deals impact it? perhaps they shouldnt have let ireland join the eu, perhaps they should have had the foresight to see this coming?... either way they are worried about the movement of goods not us. do they expect members to join forever? literally "

yeah, we have different views on the root cause. My understanding is we need a border with anyone we aren't in a customs union with. As do the EU. So a border was always needed.

It should be on the NI / RoI border.

But that would stop the illusion that NI and RoI were one common area.

Which is the illusion created by the GFA. Which was built (without saying so on both NI and RoI being in the EU.

But I agree this is the whole brexit argument again. Boris seems to want to bring it up again... Hence this thread !!

Dirty, the problem seems to be that Brexit is fundamentally unworkable when it comes to Ireland/N Ireland. Johnson either knew this in advance and ignored the issue, hoping he could somehow bluff and bullshit his way through. Or he was completely ignorant of the upcoming difficulties, despite doubtless being told it would be a serious issue by experts.

Frankly, after seeing the way Johnson acts, either of those options could be the case.

Notts

the good friday agreement is entirely separate, why should trade deals impact it? perhaps they shouldnt have let ireland join the eu, perhaps they should have had the foresight to see this coming?... either way they are worried about the movement of goods not us. do they expect members to join forever? literally yeah, we have different views on the root cause. My understanding is we need a border with anyone we aren't in a customs union with. As do the EU. So a border was always needed.

Which is the illusion created by the GFA. Which was built (without saying so on both NI and RoI being in the EU.

But I agree this is the whole brexit argument again. Boris seems to want to bring it up again... Hence this thread !!"

youve answered your own problem, it should be on NI RoI boarder, suggest the eu have discussions with RoI not boris.

RoI could leave Eu? like i said, its an eu problem where they want it, but no nation in the world has one within their own boundary lines!

But we dont NEED a customs boarder they would LIKE one, WANT one but dont NEED one.

Stockport

the good friday agreement is entirely separate, why should trade deals impact it? perhaps they shouldnt have let ireland join the eu, perhaps they should have had the foresight to see this coming?... either way they are worried about the movement of goods not us. do they expect members to join forever? literally yeah, we have different views on the root cause. My understanding is we need a border with anyone we aren't in a customs union with. As do the EU. So a border was always needed.

But I agree this is the whole brexit argument again. Boris seems to want to bring it up again... Hence this thread !!

youve answered your own problem, it should be on NI RoI boarder, suggest the eu have discussions with RoI not boris.

RoI could leave Eu? like i said, its an eu problem where they want it, but no nation in the world has one within their own boundary lines!

But we dont NEED a customs boarder they would LIKE one, WANT one but dont NEED one. "

You are delusional. It is the UK's problem to put a border somewhere. It is the UK that made their own decision to put it inside their own territory. It was Boris Johnson that personally promised to make it work. The only party that has acted in bad faith throughout the entire brexit debacle has been the UK, as represented by Boris Johnson.

The UK hold none of the cards.

If the UK breaks the GFA, then (a) NI reverts to the control of RoI (b) the USA cancels any possibility whatsoever of any future decent trade deal with the UK.

If the UK carries on ignoring the terms of the brexit deal that was written by the UK gov and signed by Boris Johnson, then the EU is allowed by international law to take punative measures against the UK - for instance, turning off the electrity they supply to us, or ceasing to accept financial trading of the UK.

The EU was a friend of the UK only while the UK was part of the EU. We are no longer in the EU, there is no reason for them to treat us in any special way, as we are now a hostile competitor. There is no point in trying to put on the fake tears and say "nasty EU are not treating us right" when _we_ are the ones that told _them_ to get stuffed, not the other way around.

However you look at it, however you try to spin the story, BJ made solemn promises on an international treaty that he would sort out the borders, that the UK would sort out the borders. BJ has not done so, the UK has broken the contract, the entire world knows that the UK government does not abide by its treaties. Already the entire rest of the world are laughing at the self inflicted harm of the UK. We lose international influence by the day. We have become a banana republic with an openly corrupt government.

None of this is the EU's fault or the EU's problem. It is our fault, our problem.

But we dont NEED a customs boarder they would LIKE one, WANT one but dont NEED one. "

if we don't have a customs border with the EU, can you tell me what are the consequences? Not just for goods coming from Ireland but also for goods coming from China etc.

I'm also not convinced that the UK (NI at least) would be happy with a RoI border.

Nor does forcing RoI to leave because we wanted to Brexit. But that point is on the basis that we have ti have a border. And we are starting from different understandinga here or what has to happen (see first point).

Notts

you do realise the eu isnt God? you do realise we are part of the eu, as a land mass, as a country? and the boarders are clearly defined already?

we are talking about where they want a customs boarder, it could be inside RoI, say 5 mile couldnt it? wheres the problem there?

so many of the posters want to reignite the brexit debate at every turn, its our fault for leaving etc etc, is just stupid talk, we are entitled to leave a trading club! it does not effect the uk as a country regards boarders!

Notts

ps we already have customs boarders for every other country! they are on our boarders!

By *ostafunMan  over a year ago

near ipswich

"you do realise the eu isnt God? you do realise we are part of the eu, as a land mass, as a country? and the boarders are clearly defined already?

we are talking about where they want a customs boarder, it could be inside RoI, say 5 mile couldnt it? wheres the problem there?

so many of the posters want to reignite the brexit debate at every turn, its our fault for leaving etc etc, is just stupid talk, we are entitled to leave a trading club! it does not effect the uk as a country regards boarders!

"

very true,some just cant let it go and so much hate.

By *I TwoCouple  over a year ago

Always travelling

"you do realise the eu isnt God? you do realise we are part of the eu, as a land mass, as a country? and the boarders are clearly defined already?

very true,some just cant let it go and so much hate. "

So true

The brexit benefits are ...

Em .

Wait .

I'll be back ..

That’s true, even though we have left the EU people are still posting anti EU threads,

"ps we already have customs boarders for every other country! they are on our boarders!"

Agreed.

The trouble is you have to treat each border and each country the same.

So if we say it's okay to not have a custina border with goods coming via RoI, that's the approach for all borders and all countries.

Blame WTO for that.

Its Boris and Frost who aren't letting it go !!

Most people I know have accepted we have left and accepted the NIP as being the agreed approach as agreed by our sovereign and democratic processes.

The only ones who think that the deal agreed by the Tories, (and the deal the Tories campaigned the GE election on) is rubbish is.... The Tories!

It beggars belief

By *ngelesAndDemonsCouple  over a year ago

Derry, Ireland

But we dont NEED a customs boarder they would LIKE one, WANT one but dont NEED one. if we don't have a customs border with the EU, can you tell me what are the consequences? Not just for goods coming from Ireland but also for goods coming from China etc.

I'm also not convinced that the UK (NI at least) would be happy with a RoI border.

Nor does forcing RoI to leave because we wanted to Brexit. But that point is on the basis that we have ti have a border. And we are starting from different understandinga here or what has to happen (see first point). "

Love to see if they can monitor what we call bandit border lol

Notts

"ps we already have customs boarders for every other country! they are on our boarders!

Agreed.

So if we say it's okay to not have a custina border with goods coming via RoI, that's the approach for all borders and all countries.

Blame WTO for that. "

or blame the eu for wanting to treat RoI differently to italy for example, drive out of italy into switzerland carrying on back into italy and no checks...

or blame the good friday agreement for not thinking about trading laws?

either way boris still isnt to blame

Notts

quote..

Nor does forcing RoI to leave because we wanted to Brexit. But that point is on the basis that we have ti have a border. And we are starting from different understandinga here or what has to happen (see first point). "

Love to see if they can monitor what we call bandit border lol

The idea that a nation can not leave a trading group because it effects another member in that group is insane!

The group has to placate or reorganise its membership. The eu should have foreseen that allowing RoI to join would lead to problems if the uk left. The uk couldnt stop that process. Again nothing to do with the tories

By *ngelesAndDemonsCouple  over a year ago

Derry, Ireland

"ps we already have customs boarders for every other country! they are on our boarders!

Agreed.

Blame WTO for that.

or blame the eu for wanting to treat RoI differently to italy for example, drive out of italy into switzerland carrying on back into italy and no checks...

either way boris still isnt to blame "

It's our right for free travel especially as we are border born in Derry passport says I'm Irish hence Irish passport, plus there that many parts of the border custom's and law won't have checkpoints hence not all if you know what I mean by that are on the good Friday agreement.

Agreed.

Blame WTO for that.

There are a tonne of bilateral agreements between Switzerland and the EU. It didn't just happen. And I believe there are also custimenchecka.

I forget why we didn't want this. I suspect because it mean signing up to EU standards. Probably wasn't a hard enough brexit.

We could blame the GFA I suppose. Who were signatories on that again ?

Manchester

Agreed.

Blame WTO for that.

Switzerland signed up to certain EU laws to allow free trade in 1972 they also are part of the Schengen Agreement.

So agree to rules and have access to workers and tariff ( customs) free trade..

Soubds like a good arrangement but Boris said no we want barriers as we need to get Brexit done..

Notts

Agreed.

Blame WTO for that.

Switzerland signed up to certain EU laws to allow free trade in 1972 they also are part of the Schengen Agreement.

So agree to rules and have access to workers and tariff ( customs) free trade..

Soubds like a good arrangement but Boris said no we want barriers as we need to get Brexit done..

"

the point is you dont actually NEED that hard border.... custom checks could be done within ireland.... it is being made complicated by people in ivory towers... when they want to ignore the rules, like poland putting up a wall... they do! but keep going round in circles...

Notts

Agreed.

Blame WTO for that.

There are a tonne of bilateral agreements between Switzerland and the EU. It didn't just happen. And I believe there are also custimenchecka.

I forget why we didn't want this. I suspect because it mean signing up to EU standards. Probably wasn't a hard enough brexit.

We could blame the GFA I suppose. Who were signatories on that again ?"

it was tony and it works for ireland and uk but not for eu trading club... so whos problem is it? you want the sovereign states to bow to the market traders?

if i play my music really loud its the neighbours fault if they complain coz they could just pay and join the eu party? if not they have to put up with the noise? that seems to be your basic argument. join in or its your fault!

Agreed.

Blame WTO for that.

it was tony and it works for ireland and uk but not for eu trading club... so whos problem is it? you want the sovereign states to bow to the market traders?

if i play my music really loud its the neighbours fault if they complain coz they could just pay and join the eu party? if not they have to put up with the noise? that seems to be your basic argument. join in or its your fault! "

it worked because the UK and Ireland were in the same trading club. It happened to be the EU.

If Ireland wasn't in the EU we'd have the same discussions today. It's not Ireland being in the EU that's the issue but UK and Ireland not being in a CU.

By *or Fox SakeCouple  over a year ago

Thornaby

Agreed.

Blame WTO for that.

if i play my music really loud its the neighbours fault if they complain coz they could just pay and join the eu party? if not they have to put up with the noise? that seems to be your basic argument. join in or its your fault! "

Possibly the most bizarre comment on here

Notts

Agreed.

Blame WTO for that.

if i play my music really loud its the neighbours fault if they complain coz they could just pay and join the eu party? if not they have to put up with the noise? that seems to be your basic argument. join in or its your fault! it worked because the UK and Ireland were in the same trading club. It happened to be the EU.

If Ireland wasn't in the EU we'd have the same discussions today. It's not Ireland being in the EU that's the issue but UK and Ireland not being in a CU. "

??????

Agreed.

Blame WTO for that.

if i play my music really loud its the neighbours fault if they complain coz they could just pay and join the eu party? if not they have to put up with the noise? that seems to be your basic argument. join in or its your fault! it worked because the UK and Ireland were in the same trading club. It happened to be the EU.

If Ireland wasn't in the EU we'd have the same discussions today. It's not Ireland being in the EU that's the issue but UK and Ireland not being in a CU.

??????"

which bit dont you follow ?

Notts

Agreed.

Blame WTO for that.

if i play my music really loud its the neighbours fault if they complain coz they could just pay and join the eu party? if not they have to put up with the noise? that seems to be your basic argument. join in or its your fault!

Possibly the most bizarre comment on here"

its the argument the remainers are still arguing, its your fault for not being in OUR club! The sovereign nations rights are foremost, hence the good friday agreement is a priority over selling apples and pears!(and microwaves)

Notts

Agreed.

Blame WTO for that.

??????which bit dont you follow ?"

Cu? google says it means cuba lol or see you later... what do you think it means?

start again please.

Agreed.

Blame WTO for that.

its the argument the remainers are still arguing, its your fault for not being in OUR club! The sovereign nations rights are foremost, hence the good friday agreement is a priority over selling apples and pears!(and microwaves) "

but the GFA doesn't over rule WTO rules. We need to find a way of staying within WTO rules whilst also not risking GFA.

And custom checks 5 miles inside of RoIreland probably may not be seen as keeping the GFA and isnt clear if that includes goods from RoI to UK.

Agreed.

Blame WTO for that.

??????which bit dont you follow ?

Cu? google says it means cuba lol or see you later... what do you think it means?

start again please."

customs union. My bad I should have used abbreviations even in a thread about custom borders !!

Notts

Agreed.

Blame WTO for that.

start again please. customs union. My bad I should have used abbreviations even in a thread about custom borders !!"

i dont know enough about custom unions! not my specialty, but there was life pre eu trading club... these people are not gods, they are people sat in a room deciding what the rules are and rules can be changed.

Notts

very brief google of custom unions and more made up bullshit really, you can trade, you dont have to be in one to trade, the god of trade does not come down and eat you, native americans never used them

Notts

Agreed.

Blame WTO for that.

its the argument the remainers are still arguing, its your fault for not being in OUR club! The sovereign nations rights are foremost, hence the good friday agreement is a priority over selling apples and pears!(and microwaves) but the GFA doesn't over rule WTO rules. We need to find a way of staying within WTO rules whilst also not risking GFA.

And custom checks 5 miles inside of RoIreland probably may not be seen as keeping the GFA and isnt clear if that includes goods from RoI to UK. "

WTO over rules GFA.... in whos eyes, not RoI, explain in detail how and why the world trade organisation can tell ireland how to manage its boarders, so funny and sad

"very brief google of custom unions and more made up bullshit really, you can trade, you dont have to be in one to trade, the god of trade does not come down and eat you, native americans never used them "
all straw men arguments. My understanding is that you have to do custom checks with a country unless you are in a customs union.

That is all.

Agreed.

Blame WTO for that.

start again please. customs union. My bad I should have used abbreviations even in a thread about custom borders !!

i dont know enough about custom unions! not my specialty, but there was life pre eu trading club... these people are not gods, they are people sat in a room deciding what the rules are and rules can be changed. "

again, I never said there wasn't trading. But there was a customs border from 1923 to 1993.

And are you saying that we and Ireland should somehow opt out of WTO? That's ... Novel.

Notts

Agreed.

Blame WTO for that.

start again please. customs union. My bad I should have used abbreviations even in a thread about custom borders !!

i dont know enough about custom unions! not my specialty, but there was life pre eu trading club... these people are not gods, they are people sat in a room deciding what the rules are and rules can be changed. again, I never said there wasn't trading. But there was a customs border from 1923 to 1993.

And are you saying that we and Ireland should somehow opt out of WTO? That's ... Novel. "

no, im saying trading groups and customs unions do not decide what countries do with their boarders.... think the people of ireland and n.ireland will demonstrate that but you keep your faith in bits of paper written on by bureaucrats

» Add a new message to this topic