FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > COP: is there any point to it?

COP: is there any point to it?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Now COP26 is winding down, was there any point to it?

Much was said by many people. Will it lead to any positive change?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *estivalMan  over a year ago

borehamwood

About as much change as the last 25 of them made i imagine

By *oo hotCouple  over a year ago

North West

"About as much change as the last 25 of them made i imagine"

That’s not strictly true is it though.

Double and triple glazed windows and an ever increasing effort to improve the R rating.

Mandatory energy efficiency labelling of household appliances resulting in more efficient appliances.

Mandatory reduction in CO2 emissions from cars and other vehicles have resulted in more efficient combustion engines and electric and battery technology that is improving year on year.

None of those things have been “bad” for humans but they have all helped the environment in which we live.

borehamwood

"About as much change as the last 25 of them made i imagine

That’s not strictly true is it though.

Double and triple glazed windows and an ever increasing effort to improve the R rating.

Mandatory energy efficiency labelling of household appliances resulting in more efficient appliances.

Mandatory reduction in CO2 emissions from cars and other vehicles have resulted in more efficient combustion engines and electric and battery technology that is improving year on year.

None of those things have been “bad” for humans but they have all helped the environment in which we live."

a sticking plaster,wana save the planet people need to stop flying round the world for pleasure stop buying crap we dont need and the one that no one likes talking about there are to many people and not enough resources

By *ovebjsMan  over a year ago

Bristol

As long as it’s all about money things will just keep getting worse, you can hear the billionaires squeaking scared to lose any money.

If they all met in a years time there would still be no advances.

You have the Saudis saying that mitigation is the key

I don’t think we have one good works leader in any country who will act fast enough.

China and the USA will only do shit that benefits them the USA has issued over 200 more licences for domestic oil fields/ refineries ffs

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Feels like there has been a lot of talk and vague agreement. But it also feels like too little too late. And I have zero confidence everybody will do what they say.

It's also hard to swallow the vast hypocrisy of people jetting in from all over the world and lecturing about being green. It's clearly a junket.

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

I've loved the way that leaders of the small nations, have argued so passionately about their problems.

I've hated the way that leaders of big nations have, either failed to engage, or kicked the can down the road for decades

I'm changing my behaviour to be more green. A conscious effort to do my bit and help. I urge others to do so as well.

Bristol

It’s more like cop-out 26

By *or Fox SakeCouple  over a year ago

Thornaby

"I've loved the way that leaders of the small nations, have argued so passionately about their problems.

I've hated the way that leaders of big nations have, either failed to engage, or kicked the can down the road for decades

I'm changing my behaviour to be more green. A conscious effort to do my bit and help. I urge others to do so as well. "

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"I've loved the way that leaders of the small nations, have argued so passionately about their problems.

I'm changing my behaviour to be more green. A conscious effort to do my bit and help. I urge others to do so as well. "

Me too

By *V-AliceTV/TS  over a year ago

Ayr

Indeed. We can all do our bit and reduce our "carbon footprint" - as much as is practical.

I've said this before but it's pretty obvious that the USA, China, India, Europe (inc. UK) and Russia have done the sums a while back and have decided they have the resources - be it population, money or technology - to ride out the worst that climate change is going to bring; and to make money out of the ongoing decades of disaster.

Sounds harsh - but the evidence to the contrary is weak; as we've just seen. Bear in mind, we're only at 1.1C above PIL right now - and we're due to burst 1.5, easily, within the next 30 years.

One more thing, for the dimwits of the UK who keep banging on about population being the real problem.

Each of you emits, on average, 8.3 tonnes of carbon dioxide per year. The global average is 4.7 tonnes. In India, it's 1.68 tonnes and in Malawi it's 0.19 tonnes (190 kg).

So, if you think there are too many people in the world and you want to do something that will really help climate change - make the ultimate sacrifice.

Either that or STFU with your stupid argument about population being the problem.

It isn't - energy consumption is.

borehamwood

I'm changing my behaviour to be more green. A conscious effort to do my bit and help. I urge others to do so as well.

Indeed. We can all do our bit and reduce our "carbon footprint" - as much as is practical.

I've said this before but it's pretty obvious that the USA, China, India, Europe (inc. UK) and Russia have done the sums a while back and have decided they have the resources - be it population, money or technology - to ride out the worst that climate change is going to bring; and to make money out of the ongoing decades of disaster.

Sounds harsh - but the evidence to the contrary is weak; as we've just seen. Bear in mind, we're only at 1.1C above PIL right now - and we're due to burst 1.5, easily, within the next 30 years.

One more thing, for the dimwits of the UK who keep banging on about population being the real problem.

Each of you emits, on average, 8.3 tonnes of carbon dioxide per year. The global average is 4.7 tonnes. In India, it's 1.68 tonnes and in Malawi it's 0.19 tonnes (190 kg).

So, if you think there are too many people in the world and you want to do something that will really help climate change - make the ultimate sacrifice.

Either that or STFU with your stupid argument about population being the problem.

It isn't - energy consumption is."

dimwits and telling people to stfu well aint you delightful dont like other arguments eh lol so you think we have infinite resources eh,like i said no one likes to talk about there are to many people on the planet and as for making the ultimate sacrifice are you suggesting people off them selfs pmsl like i said what a delightfull person you are xx

By *ap d agde coupleCouple  over a year ago

Herne Bay

Overpopulation the one thing the politicians won’t talk about , the higher the world’s population gets the more nature gets affected, deforestation, more pollution, more food needs , fish stocks get fished out , animals go on the extinction list , 1billion people 1900 now 8 billion and rising , why is it such a taboo subject ?

By *eanoCoolMan  over a year ago

wisbech

It isn't - energy consumption is."

Well surely the 2 are linked because the more people there are the more demand for energy there is. Quite simple really.

By *bernathCouple  over a year ago

Gloucestershire

It gave something, whilst it is wasn’t the cure for everything, it’s getting the treatment right. Focus on reducing emissions, focusing on getting away from a fossil fuel economy.

By *ichiebigMan  over a year ago

nenagh

The big problem is going to happen when we rich western people are actually going to have to comply with the principle of reducing our addiction to fossil fuels, this is a rich hippy dream, when we have to confont the conciefences of radically changing our lifestyle, will we,

Will we fuck,

Cop 26 or whatever it is called will be forgotten by Tuesday,

By *alcon43Woman  over a year ago

Paisley

COP26 had a bigger carbon footprint than COP25. They haven’t learned anything.

Some countries committing to meet targets in 50 years is not a success.

Bristol

A total cop-out as always lots of hot air and free grub and what’s changed really ?

The big money is still running things and the little people will be the ones making the efforts while the ubber rich swans around as usual.

A years time nothing will have changed

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Eastbourne

Due to 4he fact that most of them flew over here, it is a bit of a piss take.

Wouldn't it have bern better carried out via an online event?

By *rFunBoyMan  over a year ago

Longridge

A lot more could have been done, I agree. However, on a positive note the publicity it has generated, the passionate feelings will not go unnoticed.

The likes of Shell, BP and many others are going to struggle for investors in the future. Methane and others is also a bonus.

But, before calling out others, questions need to be asked closer to home..

Do people crying COP26 failed comments have Solar panels on their own home, make hot water and store energy generated from renewable to be used later, do they drive fully electric vehicles?

If not, then why not?

The biggest saving of CO2 will come from people realising there are 'real world' substantial savings, especially as energy prices increase, can be made by changing the energy source with an added benefit that CO2 is reduced whilst doing so.

We don't need renewables to save the planet, we need them to save money and that's the driver.

As for a car:

10,000 in a car averaging 35mpg.

1,300 litres at £1.45 = £1880

Tax £180

MOT £40

Service £200

To recharge the equivalent of 10,000 miles at home is less and £200 per year. Even leasing a car and paying for electricity means almost breaking even on the actual cost per mile., so what we waiting for?

With Solar, summer charging will be mainly from Solar panels and not the Grid.

It is what WE do as individuals that counts and not rely on government to do it for us.

By *ercuryMan  over a year ago

Grantham

"A lot more could have been done, I agree. However, on a positive note the publicity it has generated, the passionate feelings will not go unnoticed.

The likes of Shell, BP and many others are going to struggle for investors in the future. Methane and others is also a bonus.

Do people crying COP26 failed comments have Solar panels on their own home, make hot water and store energy generated from renewable to be used later, do they drive fully electric vehicles?

If not, then why not?

The biggest saving of CO2 will come from people realising there are 'real world' substantial savings, especially as energy prices increase, can be made by changing the energy source with an added benefit that CO2 is reduced whilst doing so.

We don't need renewables to save the planet, we need them to save money and that's the driver.

As for a car:

Tax £180

MOT £40

Service £200

To recharge the equivalent of 10,000 miles at home is less and £200 per year. Even leasing a car and paying for electricity means almost breaking even on the actual cost per mile., so what we waiting for?

It is what WE do as individuals that counts and not rely on government to do it for us.

"

Electric car owners need to be ready for a new "road" tax!

Bristol

"A lot more could have been done, I agree. However, on a positive note the publicity it has generated, the passionate feelings will not go unnoticed.

If not, then why not?

As for a car:

Tax £180

MOT £40

Service £200

"

And where does your average person get the money for solar panels, heatpumps, electric cars enhanced insolation ect?

Most testlas on the road are company cars where they are ofset against tax that companies pay .

most would probably have to find more money than they earn just to pay for all of that and thats before eating

Bristol

I would like to say also that if I was only getting 35mpg out of my van it would be history

Longridge

"I would like to say also that if I was only getting 35mpg out of my van it would be history

"

My point exactly. Most cars and vans around 10yrs and older are less than 35mpg round town.

There is a case for electric for most of them, such as mine and EV is on order.

Longridge

If not, then why not?

As for a car:

Tax £180

MOT £40

Service £200

And where does your average person get the money for solar panels, heatpumps, electric cars enhanced insolation ect?

Most testlas on the road are company cars where they are ofset against tax that companies pay .

most would probably have to find more money than they earn just to pay for all of that and thats before eating "

Green Homes Grant for starters. Covers Solar PV, Solar Thermal, Insulation. Those on benefits get 100% paid with nothing to pay, those on less than £30k total income, get 75% paid.

The 25% then offset against a low interest loan paid for by the savings paid for imported energy.

I purchased my out my own pocket, funded by the gas and electricity saved during a 6yr period. That was based on 5.5p per kilowatt 6yrs ago.

Now that electricity alone is between 20 and 36p, the payback for me would have been 3 to 4yrs.

There is money, grants and cheap loans out there so before the -ve comments, lets do some searching and sit down with a calculator.

As for car for an average family. A Tesla would not be a vehicle of choice, obviously, when other options are quarter the price.

The 10 year old car on my front uses £2000 worth of petrol a year, then other costs to run it. On par, I'll be £300 worse off per year and be driving a brand new car. £300+ will be offset by "renting" out the parking space and charger while not there during the day with potential of making a profit.

By *9alMan  over a year ago

Bridgend

"I would like to say also that if I was only getting 35mpg out of my van it would be history

My point exactly. Most cars and vans around 10yrs and older are less than 35mpg round town.

There is a case for electric for most of them, such as mine and EV is on order.

"

trouble is there are very few 10 year old electric cars to buy & if you could find one the batterys might be knackered , I bought a 10 year old diesel car a few years ago less than 2000 to buy does 60mpg £30 road tax . Electric cars need a big government subsidy to make them viable

Longridge

There is also "the feel good factor", that my home has not emitted 3-4 tonnes of CO2 each year for the last 6 yrs and doesn't pull load on the Grid during times it can be used elsewhere.

And that, is priceless...

Ayr

Well surely the 2 are linked because the more people there are the more demand for energy there is. Quite simple really."

Actually, no. You could have twice as many people using devices four times as efficient and they would only use half as much energy.

Simple enough for you?

Ayr

It isn't - energy consumption is.dimwits and telling people to stfu well aint you delightful dont like other arguments eh lol so you think we have infinite resources eh,like i said no one likes to talk about there are to many people on the planet and as for making the ultimate sacrifice are you suggesting people off them selfs pmsl like i said what a delightfull person you are xx"

I've never claimed to be delightful. However, the argument you make isn't borne out by the facts - which isn't unusual for you.

The world just isn't as simple as you want it to be.

By *otlovefun42Couple  over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

We can pontificate as much as we like about green taxes, electric cars, heat pumps, eating less meat, not taking holidays Etc Etc.

On a global scale it means very little.

However with one little virus the Chinese have done more to combat climate change than all of that.

5 million plus (and counting) carbon footprints wiped out at a stroke. Genius!

Bristol

"We can pontificate as much as we like about green taxes, electric cars, heat pumps, eating less meat, not taking holidays Etc Etc.

However with one little virus the Chinese have done more to combat climate change than all of that.

5 million plus (and counting) carbon footprints wiped out at a stroke. Genius! "

Yes but not to worry all the billionaires will soon hoover up those footprints with their yachts and big fuckoff houses and jetting around the world for weekends away

By *otlovefun42Couple  over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

"We can pontificate as much as we like about green taxes, electric cars, heat pumps, eating less meat, not taking holidays Etc Etc.

5 million plus (and counting) carbon footprints wiped out at a stroke. Genius!

Yes but not to worry all the billionaires will soon hoover up those footprints with their yachts and big fuckoff houses and jetting around the world for weekends away "

Yep. They will be in good company with all the pontificating politicians and eco warriors who prefer not to practise what they preach.

By *eanoCoolMan  over a year ago

wisbech

Well surely the 2 are linked because the more people there are the more demand for energy there is. Quite simple really.

Actually, no. You could have twice as many people using devices four times as efficient and they would only use half as much energy.

Simple enough for you?"

Yeah very simple, doesn't back your post up though, all these extra devices you mention also consume power to manufacture in the first place apart from the fact you would be using even more rare natural resources to manufacture the extra gadgets in the first instance. Regardless of how efficient things are the more you need to provide/ produce the more energy is consumed which in turn causes more climate change. Also sorry to say but when people like sir David Attenborough have talked about over population being part of the problem I am going to give there words a lot more credence than yours.

borehamwood

It isn't - energy consumption is.dimwits and telling people to stfu well aint you delightful dont like other arguments eh lol so you think we have infinite resources eh,like i said no one likes to talk about there are to many people on the planet and as for making the ultimate sacrifice are you suggesting people off them selfs pmsl like i said what a delightfull person you are xx

I've never claimed to be delightful. However, the argument you make isn't borne out by the facts - which isn't unusual for you.

The world just isn't as simple as you want it to be."

lol fair enough u dont think the planet is over populated i do,as for doing your bit i hope your not thinking of jetting off anywhere and u cycle and walk everywhere,hope your cutting meat out aswell or dont u practice what you preach,and as for never claiming to be delightful thats a good thing because you most definatley aint,anyway ta-ta sweetheart xx

» Add a new message to this topic