FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Politics > Death by inaction

Death by inaction

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ackal1 OP   Couple  over a year ago

Manchester

So increasingly more care homes are unable to take patients in from hospitals due to a lack of staff. This shortage is caused partly by Covid ( EU staff going home) and partly by Brexit . (The Brexit effect is restricting foreign national recruitment going forward but I suspect they aren’t keen to come back anyway so less of an option )

The knock on effect is that people healthy enough to be discharged are not leaving hospital as there is nowhere to send them. This results in the hospital being log jammed and being full.

Ambulances subsequently are unable to offload patients and cannot therefore be back in active service for hours.

This ultimately is leading to excessive delays in ambulances responding to emergency category 1 calls. Some people are dying before they receive help. In one report on the BBC instead of 6-7 call outs a day the ambulances are doing around 3.

What is our government doing ? Telling us to invest in our future employees . This is a positive thing but takes years and as the service is underfunded it’s not going to get quick results anytime soon.

What do we tell those who are dying today ? Don’t worry things will improve because when we can, we will invest in some training. Oh that’s ok then!

What should the government be doing as apparently it’s getting worse?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *mmMandyTV/TS  over a year ago

Southampton

OP, what would you suggest?

By *or Fox SakeCouple  over a year ago

Thornaby

"OP, what would you suggest?"

Actually fund care homes properly may be a good start.

By *oxychick35Couple  over a year ago

thornaby

"OP, what would you suggest?

"

id agree but like Ed balls said ever government past and present all party’s have looked the other way on this one

Thornaby

id agree but like Ed balls said ever government past and present all party’s have looked the other way on this one "

BoZo has kicked this into the s, he's scared of losing his core vote, elderly home owners.

It needs to be addressed and soon. That means taxation somewhere along the line.

Southampton

"

You may recall from a few yeas back, a scandalous situation was exposed whereby two of the biggest care providers set up BVI Shell companies, wholly funded by the care homes, and owned by the directors.

The care homes subsequently borrowed money from these companies,(effectively borrowing money from themselves), and repaid it at usury rates into the directors companies. These were long term loans and are still being repaid now.

When the govt does its due diligence on the fees these companies are charging them, these interest payments appear as legitimate costs.

inflated care costs are an industrialised scam.

I shall look back through my copies of private eye, and when I find the articles, I shall name the providers

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"

some may need help but because of capped cost's but most are just ripping people off just to pay share holders I've had two experiences with care homes lately not good.

Manchester

[Removed by poster at 11/11/21 13:14:55]

Manchester

"OP, what would you suggest?"

That’s the problem I don’t see an easy fix because of years of underfunding and now no access to basic labour.

I’m not claiming to know the answer. I don’t think carers are paid anywhere near enough. The job is terrible and takes a certain kind of person to do it well.

Regarding a couple of posts of profit taking by big care homes . I agree that happens but a lot of care homes are small local operations . My mother was in one . We paid privately ( well my father did) but mostly the residents received government money. The amount they received for each resident on benefits was derisory . They needed the income from private residents to fund the gap.

We were lucky the care provided was excellent and some of the staff are now friends. That care home has also lost Eastern European staff through as I say Covid and Brexit and have now mothballed a wing.

thornaby

some may need help but because of capped cost's but most are just ripping people off just to pay share holders I've had two experiences with care homes lately not good."

they should be run by the councils like they where years ago soon as profit comes into anything the care goes tits up

Southampton

my ex is a social care worker, and one of the things she is paid for is a "morning visit". She is paid for 15 minutes for this visit, during which time she is expected to get the client out of bed, washed and taken to the toilet and fed,

FFS you are able bodied people, how long does that take you

Manchester

"my ex is a social care worker, and one of the things she is paid for is a "morning visit". She is paid for 15 minutes for this visit, during which time she is expected to get the client out of bed, washed and taken to the toilet and fed,

FFS you are able bodied people, how long does that take you "

Cost cutting at its very mad worst!

Thornaby

some may need help but because of capped cost's but most are just ripping people off just to pay share holders I've had two experiences with care homes lately not good.they should be run by the councils like they where years ago soon as profit comes into anything the care goes tits up"

Great idea, it would work, but that's your council tax raised by a significant amount.

It's going to cost to fix the system.

And most care homes don't make much money, somewhere between a 2 & 6 percent return.

thornaby

some may need help but because of capped cost's but most are just ripping people off just to pay share holders I've had two experiences with care homes lately not good.they should be run by the councils like they where years ago soon as profit comes into anything the care goes tits up

Great idea, it would work, but that's your council tax raised by a significant amount.

And most care homes don't make much money, somewhere between a 2 & 6 percent return. "

if they didn’t make much money they be still council owned Duncan banatyne done ok out of them lol

Manchester

some may need help but because of capped cost's but most are just ripping people off just to pay share holders I've had two experiences with care homes lately not good.they should be run by the councils like they where years ago soon as profit comes into anything the care goes tits up

And most care homes don't make much money, somewhere between a 2 & 6 percent return. if they didn’t make much money they be still council owned Duncan banatyne done ok out of them lol"

It’s like most national service business . Some large scale are efficient and good others are large scale and shit. Some make profits ( not sure how that can be done with such a service need). Some don’t.

It’s like the Daily mail and the Sun make good profits but then there’s a huge drop to all the other national and local papers. Reach seem to provide the same shit for local news in every town now so they make money but provide a skeleton product. ( local I mean)

Manchester

Btw I know Brexit has played a big part I this but that’s not why I’m asking this . People are actually dying because of this and yet again we have a government that just lurches along and the best plan they seem to have is run away of cross their fingers . Well apart from throwing billions at mates and hoping some good shakes out at some point.

By *I TwoCouple  over a year ago

all around

"

Exactly

They need to increase the national insurance surcharge to 5% and take it from people on benefits as well as those working.

Thornaby

Exactly

They need to increase the national insurance surcharge to 5% and take it from people on benefits as well as those working."

Yeah cos starving people is really good

Manchester

Maybe , just maybe stop tax avoidance .

That wouldn’t hurt anyone seriously and it would be fair

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Eastbourne

"

The private ones are properly funded, £1000 + a week to stay there.

» Add a new message to this topic